Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

dolphins are gay posted:

are those tiny belt-wearable amplifiers good for anything at all? Even playing with headphones or using with some recording software?

I've actually heard a lot of good things about the Danelectro Honeytone. If I didn't already have a couple of battery powered amps, I'd be tempted to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Manky posted:

I've actually heard a lot of good things about the Danelectro Honeytone. If I didn't already have a couple of battery powered amps, I'd be tempted to get one.

The Honeytone is a cool amp, but it sounds like a fuzz pedal with a speaker. You get a REALLY cool sound, but don't expect anything like dynamics, etc. Think more Big Muff cranked with your phone speaker hooked up.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Professorbx posted:

The Honeytone is a cool amp, but it sounds like a fuzz pedal with a speaker. You get a REALLY cool sound, but don't expect anything like dynamics, etc. Think more Big Muff cranked with your phone speaker hooked up.

All temptation removed, then. That's what I have my Pipe Amp for!

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Professorbx posted:

Think more Big Muff cranked with your phone speaker hooked up.
So more of an amp for jazz then. :p

For content, to Manky's query: Vox Night Train has an 8 ohm speaker out, as does the Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall Haze MHZ15 and Egater Tweaker. And then there are combos with speaker outs like the Fender Pro Junior and Blues Junior (Super Champ XD for a hybrid that people love). That's a crap ton of variety in the $500/15w range. Limited selection for heads cheaper than that... Blackstar HT-5H people seem to like, the Value Junior is a mod'er delight and few others I've heard and read nothing about.

"Clean" tone is a state of mind. Depends what your reference is, all amps have a color.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for a small combo amp (apartment and I have to ship across the country in 6 months). I went to Guitar Center and played the Orange Tiny Terror combo amp and it sounds amazing. However it is $859, I want to check out other 15w combo amps before I buy it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The little blackstar ones.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I checked out all the little combos and settled on a used Mesa F30. It's more like 22w, but I was looking for something that could do clean, crunch, and a more modern high-gain tone and that's the only thing in the price range that I felt could. It sounds real nice at low volumes, too.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Sweeper posted:

I'm looking for a small combo amp (apartment and I have to ship across the country in 6 months). I went to Guitar Center and played the Orange Tiny Terror combo amp and it sounds amazing. However it is $859, I want to check out other 15w combo amps before I buy it. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Buy one used off ebay or craigslist for $500 or so. I think buying new amps is a waste of money when used are just as good for 75% of the price or less.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Sweeper posted:

Did you try these at Guitar Center? I play with 2 guys who both have these and they seem pretty nice.

http://www.fender.com/products/hotrod/models.php?prodNo=2230500

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

TyChan posted:

Did you try these at Guitar Center? I play with 2 guys who both have these and they seem pretty nice.

http://www.fender.com/products/hotrod/models.php?prodNo=2230500

They are good but kind of boxy sounding. I always thought that, side by side, the Pro Jr smoked the Blues Jr (even with the 10in speaker and lack of features).

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Professorbx posted:

They are good but kind of boxy sounding. I always thought that, side by side, the Pro Jr smoked the Blues Jr (even with the 10in speaker and lack of features).

Thanks, I'll look at these after work tomorrow. I found a tiny terror on cl for ~$600 and it isn't too far away. I'm hoping that it doesn't get sold before I have a chance to check it out.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Sweeper posted:

Thanks, I'll look at these after work tomorrow. I found a tiny terror on cl for ~$600 and it isn't too far away. I'm hoping that it doesn't get sold before I have a chance to check it out.

The Pro JR is kind of the hidden gem of the Fender line. It was actually designed by Bruce Zinky (the story I was told by the one of the execs there was that he was told to make a good, simple amp on Friday, and came back on Monday with the prototype), and is an amazing sounding amp for the money. Basically sounds like the bastard son of a Champ and an AC15. Not a huge amount of gain but it is loud for 15 watts and EXTREMELY controllable with the volume knob. Because of the one volume/one tone setup, you have to fight really hard to get a bad sound out of it. Also, it takes pedals like a pro.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Played a Top Hat in Tennessee recently. Was amazing.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
Fellas, maybe you can help me make up my mind. I've got the option to buy a Vox AD30VT off Craigslist for $115 or I can go buy a new Vox 15VT for $130 and tax.

I was playing around on the Vox 15VT earlier and really liked it, which is when these things came to my attention. For those that don't know, the VT is the successor to the ADxxVT series. They're similar but the VT model is new and improved with nearly double pre-sets and effects options. The VT also has its own Reverb knob, which I really liked.

I play primarly for myself, I'm not looking to gig with either of these, so the extra wattage isn't all that important. Is it worth it to save a few bucks to buy the older model? Looking at reviews it sounds like while the VT is more advanced, it's not necessarily light years ahead of its predecessor.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you're not going to gig I say spend maybe $50 more and get a small all-tube amp for extra vintage tone etc

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

rt4 posted:

If you're not going to gig I say spend maybe $50 more and get a small all-tube amp for extra vintage tone etc
Yeah, I'd go with a small all-tube amp too.
Globochem, see if you can try out the Vox AC4TV combo. poo poo's boss.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Globochem posted:

Fellas, maybe you can help me make up my mind. I've got the option to buy a Vox AD30VT off Craigslist for $115 or I can go buy a new Vox 15VT for $130 and tax.

I was playing around on the Vox 15VT earlier and really liked it, which is when these things came to my attention. For those that don't know, the VT is the successor to the ADxxVT series. They're similar but the VT model is new and improved with nearly double pre-sets and effects options. The VT also has its own Reverb knob, which I really liked.

I play primarly for myself, I'm not looking to gig with either of these, so the extra wattage isn't all that important. Is it worth it to save a few bucks to buy the older model? Looking at reviews it sounds like while the VT is more advanced, it's not necessarily light years ahead of its predecessor.

Having seen cold solder breaks on the "tube" circuit of my AD30....yea, different amp. The AC4tv is stupidly great sounding.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

betterinsodapop posted:

Globochem, see if you can try out the Vox AC4TV combo. poo poo's boss.

This is what I have and it sounds great, though I'll add that I wish I could get a solid clean sound at a higher volume. Switching to a 12AT7 preamp is supposed to achieve that and I think I'll try it soon...

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Professorbx posted:

The Pro JR is kind of the hidden gem of the Fender line. It was actually designed by Bruce Zinky (the story I was told by the one of the execs there was that he was told to make a good, simple amp on Friday, and came back on Monday with the prototype), and is an amazing sounding amp for the money. Basically sounds like the bastard son of a Champ and an AC15. Not a huge amount of gain but it is loud for 15 watts and EXTREMELY controllable with the volume knob. Because of the one volume/one tone setup, you have to fight really hard to get a bad sound out of it. Also, it takes pedals like a pro.

They didn't have one at the local guitar center so I guess I'll have to try and find another place that carries them locally. I've never really done much with pedals so I guess I'll have to look into those too.

Edit:
I was also thinking of getting a just a head and picking up a cab on craigslist. My price limit is still ~800-900 so I was thinking I could get more out of it. This puts the dual terror in my price range as well as a some other amps. Does anyone have any recommendations for this that I should check out?

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 2, 2011

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just want to say I bought a Blues Jr off someone here on the forums last year and it is an excellent amp. I truly love mine.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sweeper posted:

They didn't have one at the local guitar center so I guess I'll have to try and find another place that carries them locally. I've never really done much with pedals so I guess I'll have to look into those too.

Edit:
I was also thinking of getting a just a head and picking up a cab on craigslist. My price limit is still ~800-900 so I was thinking I could get more out of it. This puts the dual terror in my price range as well as a some other amps. Does anyone have any recommendations for this that I should check out?

If I had $800 to spend right now I would most certainly find a vintage Fender Twin/Super Reverb on Craigslist.

They're out there and they're much cheaper than their reissue counterparts.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Sweeper posted:

If you want a Fender-style amp I'd look for a used Peavey Classic 20/30/50, I see them all the time on craigslist around here. I picked up a 50w combo for $300 a little while back so the 20w version will keep you well under budget if you find one. I mostly use it for surf but the lead channel is pretty nice too.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

rt4 posted:

If I had $800 to spend right now I would most certainly find a vintage Fender Twin/Super Reverb on Craigslist.

They're out there and they're much cheaper than their reissue counterparts.

I just went to a local store (Emerald City Guitars) and played on a Fender SuperReverb and a Rivera 5512 and I have to say I think I like the 5512 more. The 5512 was $999 I think, which seems like a lot (I feel like I could get a deal for cheaper somewhere?). It is in great condition too which is nice, except for microphonic tube which would be fixed.

I also tried the tiny terror head because they didn't have the dual terror, the second time playing it I wasn't as big a fan. The other nice thing was that he said he could ship the amp in 6 months so I wouldn't have to pay any sales tax on it (like 9%).

So many amps!

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 2, 2011

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I'm new to ML, but I have a question. How do you go about selling an amp you don't use or want anymore? I've got a Ampeg SVT350 bass head that I've carted around through several moves and many years without using it. There's a music store near me that buys used equipment, but they offered only $125, which is just not enough for a 350 watt, well-cared for amp. Do ML folks just ebay or craigslist their for-sale amps?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but there's also a gear trades thread too.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Van Dis posted:

I'm new to ML, but I have a question. How do you go about selling an amp you don't use or want anymore? I've got a Ampeg SVT350 bass head that I've carted around through several moves and many years without using it. There's a music store near me that buys used equipment, but they offered only $125, which is just not enough for a 350 watt, well-cared for amp. Do ML folks just ebay or craigslist their for-sale amps?

Also, try registering as a supporting member of Talkbass. It costs ~$12, but the buyers are pretty fair about prices.

$125 is criminally low, but tou probably shouldn't expect to get anywhere close to your purchase price for that head. That series of solid state Ampeg heads doesn't have a lot of market pull.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

TyChan posted:

Also, try registering as a supporting member of Talkbass. It costs ~$12, but the buyers are pretty fair about prices.

$125 is criminally low, but tou probably shouldn't expect to get anywhere close to your purchase price for that head. That series of solid state Ampeg heads doesn't have a lot of market pull.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, if I could get another hundred for it, I'd be okay with that. I don't expect to get anything like what I paid for it ten years ago. The handful that popped up in the Talkbass archives went for $250-$400, but I don't even want that much. Honestly, it'd be nice to find a store that would take it off my hands. I'll keep looking.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you want it gone and are fine with selling it under market value the Craigslist hordes will probably buy it off you in a day.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sweeper posted:

Edit:

FYI a new high gain terror just got announced so I'd wait to check that out.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the earlier recommendations, thread. In the end I went in a different direction. I was browsing eBay and snapped up a Guitar Research T30R for a little under $50, including shipping. 30W, single tube preamp. I like this thing a lot.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What amps are like the Marshall 1959 but cheaper and not so darn loud but still not poo poo?

StatutoryApe
Nov 25, 2008

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all

I've spotted a 6505 combo. I'm very try-before-buy and I haven't given it a shot yet, but on paper, it seems to suit me to a T. A few questions:

A) I play lead and I'm after a real smooth lead tone. I know the 6505 has a loving monstrous rythym tone but I dont know about leads. A Petrucci sorta smooth would be ideal. Is a 6505 more Dimebag than Petrucci?

B) I've got a Peavey Classic 30 which keeps blowing up. Are Peavey's unreliable or have I just managed to catch a lemon?

C) Volume is a concern hence I'm looking at the 1x12 combo. Are these things earth-shakers?

I love my 6505 head. I run a boss dd-3 and a rv-5 in the effect loop with a boost pedal (I think its a bbe boost/compression?) and I use the footswitch effects loop as my lead channel. I think I get a decent smoother lead tone and Im still able to maintain a super tight heavy rhythm. I play only extreme tech death metal stuff so I want a tight but real heavy rhythm with a smooth and clear lead.

Pickups obviously are the biggest factor in whether your leads are dimebag or petrucci (or muhammed suicmez). I almost never solo on my bridge pickup. Neck pickups are for leads in metal unless you are ripping divebombs and crazy pinch harmonics.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Boz0r posted:

What amps are like the Marshall 1959 but cheaper and not so darn loud but still not poo poo?

What exactly about the Marshall 1959 are you trying to capture? I take it you basically want a more affordable, lower watt version of a Plexi?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

TyChan posted:

What exactly about the Marshall 1959 are you trying to capture? I take it you basically want a more affordable, lower watt version of a Plexi?

Well, to be honest I've never actually tried the amp as I live pretty far from shops where I can try it. I like the sound of these classic tube amps and a lot of my favourite bands whose sounds I'd like to be in the same ballpark as use the '59. I also like the sound of the Cornford MK50 which is sort of the same but with a bit more bite, but that's about twice the price of the '59 and impossible to get here in Denmark.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
There's countless Marshall 18 watt clones out there, Ceriatone probably being the most notable.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

At the risk of sounding like a spammer, Ampeg is rolling out a new line of tube amps:

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2011/04/musikmesse-2011-ampeg-gvt-guitar-amps.html

They look like the old V4s and VT-22s you see on eBay from time to time. I have no idea whether they sound like the old Ampeg guitar amps and whether or not that would be a good thing. Do Ampegs have a certain guitar tone that they're famous for in the same way people seek out the SVT bass sound?

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
It'd be nice if they did a VH140C reissue.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 18, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

TyChan posted:

Do Ampegs have a certain guitar tone that they're famous for in the same way people seek out the SVT bass sound?

Clean as gently caress. Apparently the execs at Ampeg didn't like distortion, so their early amps were made to be clean to ear-splitting volumes. The later V series amps had a sort of HiWatt mojo going on-bright, clean with just the right amount of hair. Think Queens of the Stone Age and mid-era Rolling Stones.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Three Red Lights posted:

FYI a new high gain terror just got announced so I'd wait to check that out.

Welp, sounds like I just found my next purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I've got a Blackstar HT-5 combo. It seems less loud and kinda muddier than when I got it, so I was thinking of chucking some new tubes in it. Assuming I go with the same types of tube (12AX7 and 12BH7,) should it be fairly "plug and play?" I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere, even the manufacturer makes contradicting statements.