Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think we need to work in more references to obtuse and idiotic technology conventions if only to see if ShadowDragon's head explodes.

Seriously, dude. It's just a game. You should really just relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm guessing B5 is the Hellbringer (which I think we figured out earlier though) and B4 is a Crossbow since that's the only 65-ton missile boat that Clan Steel Viper uses. Unfortunately the Banshee has no range advantage against a Hellbringer and closing in negates the usage of my own PPCs but I think the ability to use everything else will make up for that.

Though I do not really expect the Banshee will survive this fight :smith:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 2, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I remember reading there was some rule for knocking a mech off the board is an auto-kill. Is there any way to do that to the Bloodnamed guy?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
So, B4's going after the Wolfhound...unless the lucky dice make more appearances I don't expect the Wolfhound to see turn 10 (at the outside).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

So, B4's going after the Wolfhound...unless the lucky dice make more appearances I don't expect the Wolfhound to see turn 10 (at the outside).

Well, he's been skulking around the bottom of the map this whole time. I figured he was getting a bit bored.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I remember reading there was some rule for knocking a mech off the board is an auto-kill. Is there any way to do that to the Bloodnamed guy?

Basically if a mech leaves the game board it's out of play. There several ways this might happen but the most likely ways require the mech end its turn at the edge of the board.

*edit*

Which he is (misread the game board). Either the Cyclops or Zeus could potentially push him off the board but it's sort of a risky move. You have to do a roll to make sure you don't skid on the pavement while running and you'll likely also have to roll after the vulture/mad dog/<insert new IS designation here> opens a full alpha strike on you.

Actually the cyclops can do it without the pavement running roll, it just has to risk taking even more damage than it already has (Cyclops has less armor than the Zeus even before taking any damage).

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2011

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

The way I see it, if the technology made sense to "modern sensibilities" at all, then we're not just talking about a MechWarrior user interface that's not ridiculous. We're talking about no lostech whatsoever.

I may be showing my ignorance of the canon flavor here, but unless every single person who knew anything about the technology being used in the field got either recruited by ComStar or genocided, it is just as unbelievable that any technological advancement would vanish to the point of obscurity, much less a boatload. If you can even remotely accept the idea of lostech, you've already swallowed the biggest horsepill of the setting. The second word of the term science fiction should be giving a pretty clear indication of the relative plausibility of anything contained within, quiaff?

From what I can surmise, you pretty much have to abandon multiple pretenses of any BattleTech technology making sense based off of technology we already have today, as otherwise there is no good reason why they can't make 'Mechs drones.

But drones do not have personalities. You cannot make an interesting story out of the exploits of drones, nor of someone who programs or maintains them. At least, not and have a heroic setting... it would work fine in other ways, but it wouldn't be BattleTech. And, at least in my opinion, playing a game where you have a bunch of giant AI robots duking it out on the battlefield doesn't have nearly as much draw as putting a squishy human in the cockpit and having them grit their teeth, deal with a crappy user interface, and still best the opponent with the superior technology.

If their user interface had sensible technology, BattleTech would be a cover-shooter game because there would never be a good reason why a clear LOS on a target wouldn't be a guaranteed hit. Shoot, perhaps not even that, as launching a beacon into the sky should give a parabolic firing solution for the 'Mech cowering behind cover and still nigh-unto guarantee a hit. This would transform BattleTech into a game where large numbers of units are necessary for any military engagement since most of them will die. But that's not how the game was designed to work.

And yes, I'm quite well aware that I'm making a slippery slope argument. I just don't see how it is any less valid a stance than any posited thus far.

I'll take my gritty heroes in giant war machines operating with implausible space-age-meets-dark-age technology over something that actually makes sense any day of the week. Your 'Mechs may vary.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Canopus250 posted:

Also ShadowDragon just stop with your tangent. You are having an argument with somebody who agrees and nobody else cares.

Actually, I care a bit about it. Seeing someone utterly trash the utter stupid of BattleTech "technology" is amusing to me. Gives me more ammunition to use against people who attempt to justify stuff like how Mechs can't be damaged by contemporary weapons and the like. So don't presume stuff like this.

As for the update (nice timing, too), things look like they're gonna go bad in a hurry for the 2nd Donegal. The Copperhead (nice name, was that the one the contest winner named?) beign piloted by the Bloodnamed Star Commander looks like its about to gently caress poo poo up, even though he went for a 1 on 2. The Banshee is going to have to go against another superior machine after getting hit pretty hard by the Battle Cobra, and the Wolfhound is in serious trouble against a (presumably) long rang Mech. Things ain't looking too good...

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Feel free to go play in traffic next time you get the urge to imperiously deliver me an order, kay? Thanks, bye!

Listen man I think everyone agrees that thinking too hard about any old pen and paper rpg will have tons of logical problems, but you were a little overzealous. If you wanted to discuss the flaws then just be a little less confrontational and people would be encouraged to respond.

I just noticed that one of the mechs is now targeting the Wolfhound too. As good of a mech as it can be, its gonna get trashed in like 2-3 turns of shooting by any clan mech that much bigger than it.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Krumbsthumbs posted:

That is possible, yes. The best way would've been for the Cyclops to walk up to him and Push him off the map. Unfortunately, the Cyclops walked away instead.

The Cyclops would be the best 'mech for that kind of thing. Of course, you need to consider what the other Steel Vipers will think of that. You could try to play it off as absolute disdain for the other 'mech being so poorly piloted that they left themselves open to an easy defeat via shove.

Dunno if it would work, though. It's worth a try. You could also Push him into water (falls a Z-level and starts prone underwater, so he'll have to waste MP standing up and getting out) or into a building (force him into the building forces a PSR or he takes more damage and there's the potential of a collapse on top of him, which would deal more damage and maybe send him for another Z-level or two or even more drop as he falls into the basement.)

Of course, as the Clanners said, "civcas" are a possibility if you do that. And by that I mean "an absolute certainty," since apparently these buildings are populated.

PoptartsNinja: Do the building hexes here have basements? If so, how many Z-levels deep are they?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

GhostStalker posted:

Actually, I care a bit about it. Seeing someone utterly trash the utter stupid of BattleTech "technology" is amusing to me. Gives me more ammunition to use against people who attempt to justify stuff like how Mechs can't be damaged by contemporary weapons and the like. So don't presume stuff like this.

The justification is because the fluff says so. Arguing about this is about as productive as arguing about light sabers in star wars.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

PoptartsNinja: Do the building hexes here have basements? If so, how many Z-levels deep are they?

Quite possibly. If they do, Z-levels will be randomly determined.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Oh, dear. The Wolfhound looks like it's got something to deal with now. Time to play hide and seek!

For everyone else, let's get punchy. It's the single heaviest weapon all you assaults have. Wanna see the Cyclops and the Zeus twin-clothesline the cheating bastard in the Copperhead.

edit:

GhostStalker posted:

The Copperhead (nice name, was that the one the contest winner named?)

Thanks!

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 2, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Longinus00 posted:

The justification is because the fluff says so. Arguing about this is about as productive as arguing about light sabers in star wars.

True, but then again, I've always been a sort of guy who obsesses over Military technology. I understand that the devs have flat stated this point, and I can accept the fact that Mech armor must be insanely good to stand up to the punishment that gets dished out in the battlefields of the Inner Sphere, but some things just irk me. Does this mean I'm thinking too much about a game?

Yes. But then again, I only got into BattleTech fluff and stuff a couple of years ago at most, having never played any of the games. And that first introduction to the fluff was people on a forum arguing back and forth about whether or not a couple lances of BattleMechs could take out a modern US (and allied) armored force, with attached air and naval support. The answer was a resounding yes, even if the modern force would take horrendous casualties in doing so. Fire control that actually works, a modern C3i net, drone support, missiles that can be launched BVR, weapons systems not being limited by arbitrary range, air support worth a drat, ECM, satellite coverage, I could go on.

This thread is actually the first time I'm seeing BattleTech be played, so it doesn't have the same nostalgia attachment for me that it presumably has for you guys. I guess I'm just more interested in the fluff than the game mechanics, but that still doesn't prevent me from arguing about stupid when I see it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 3, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

GhostStalker posted:

Actually, if you think about it, it means that Modern Army Vs. BattleTech 3025 still comes out in favor of the modern army.

Even if our weapons do only deal 1pt of damage to BTech armor no matter how powerful they are short of nukes, it just changes the nature of the game. Instead of the 155 howitzer being the king of our battlefield (well, it still massively outranges anything in the BTech arsenal,) the solution then becomes to mount an array of much smaller weapons - like, say, 30mm autocannons - on our modern chassis. Apparently our armor is crap against BTech's weapons, but that's fine. If any hit with a 3025 weapon bigger than an MG is a one-hit kill, we just scale down the armor to the point where it really only protects from basic shrapnel and MGs, making our vehicles fragile speeders, and depend on movement penalties and cover to protect them. Fire off accurate arrays of 1-pt weapons, and use massed fire, combined arms, electronic warfare, massive range advantage, UCAVs, beyond-visual-range attacks from cruise missiles, and battlefield coordination to bring down the Knightly Titans of Battle.

quote:

As for the update (nice timing, too), things look like they're gonna go bad in a hurry for the 2nd Donegal. The Copperhead (nice name, was that the one the contest winner named?) being piloted by the Bloodnamed Star Commander looks like its about to gently caress poo poo up, even though he went for a 1 on 2. The Banshee is going to have to go against another superior machine after getting hit pretty hard by the Battle Cobra, and the Wolfhound is in serious trouble against a (presumably) long rang Mech. Things ain't looking too good...

That poor Wolfie's toast. :( The Banshee probably is, too, and the other guys are likely to get hosed up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Actually, if you think about it, it means that Modern Army Vs. BattleTech 3025 still comes out in favor of the modern army.

Even if our weapons do only deal 1pt of damage to BTech armor no matter how powerful they are short of nukes, it just changes the nature of the game. Instead of the 155 howitzer being the king of our battlefield (well, it still massively outranges anything in the BTech arsenal,) the solution then becomes to mount an array of much smaller weapons - like, say, 30mm autocannons - on our modern chassis. Apparently our armor is crap against BTech's weapons, but that's fine. If any hit with a 3025 weapon bigger than an MG is a one-hit kill, we just scale down the armor to the point where it really only protects from basic shrapnel and MGs, making our vehicles fragile speeders, and depend on movement penalties and cover to protect them. Fire off accurate arrays of 1-pt weapons, and use massed fire, combined arms, electronic warfare, massive range advantage, UCAVs, beyond-visual-range attacks from cruise missiles, and battlefield coordination to bring down the Knightly Titans of Battle.

Look above you. I basically just said the same thing a minute or two before you did. Great minds, eh? :hfive:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Quite possibly. If they do, Z-levels will be randomly determined.

So if they knock a Clanner into a building and bring it down on his head, what are you going to do to determine depth of the basement? Roll 1d6-1?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Look above you. I basically just said the same thing a minute or two before you did. Great minds, eh? :hfive:

drat straight. :hfive:

The TACs alone would bring down 'mechs.

Then we'd start working on reverse-engineering all the "Holygodthisisawesome" tech, while roffling our waffles at the "holygodthissucksballs" level of understanding of that same 'tech, and soon be fielding 'mechs wearing the stars and stripes and the Union Jack and what-have-you with sane UIs.

Ahhh. If only. :)

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, he's been skulking around the bottom of the map this whole time. I figured he was getting a bit bored.

Now I can upgrade from skulking to fleeing!

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

1 planet worth of resources versus ~2,000 planets worth? I don't care how much better some of our technology is compared to theirs, those numbers are going to annihilate us as soon as they realize that they need to swarm to win.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Brandy Collins posted:

1 planet worth of resources versus ~2,000 planets worth? I don't care how much better some of our technology is compared to theirs, those numbers are going to annihilate us as soon as they realize that they need to swarm to win.

Piranha principle. If any of the Great Houses send enough forces to entirely wreck our poo poo (and I mean entirely, just one Regiment probably wouldn't be enough), then they risk taking troops away from a vital defensive line protecting them from the other Great Houses and then get pushed back like crazy when those other Great Houses decide to invade. The Great Houses never agree to a ceasefire just to stomp one drat world into the ground. Also, if one of the Great Houses decided to go after us for our vaunted technology, either the other Great Houses would send forces to gently caress them up for attempting to get a technological leg up, or ComStar would ruin their poo poo.

Trust me, the forum where I first got introduced to BattleTech has thought a lot about these things... Probably doesn't help that the reason they think about this poo poo was that all this grew out of a what-if scenario posited by someone about what would happen if a bunch of Periphery pirates from Port Krin stumbles across a Tom Clancy Ryan-verse Earth...

The general conclusion was:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

drat straight. :hfive:

The TACs alone would bring down 'mechs.

Then we'd start working on reverse-engineering all the "Holygodthisisawesome" tech, while roffling our waffles at the "holygodthissucksballs" level of understanding of that same 'tech, and soon be fielding 'mechs wearing the stars and stripes and the Union Jack and what-have-you with sane UIs.

Ahhh. If only. :)

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 2, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Tac analysis: No more delaying here. It's time to let them have it and accept that you're not likely to make it to turn 20. The good news is that the disabled Thunderchild is the Beta Ace, so you've got a turn to really unleash without fear. You can still win at least a partial victory here - just use your firepower wisely.

Advice:

Cyclops/Zeus - No more faffing about. Cyclops goes to 1614, Zeus to 1717. Hit B3 with god damned everything that doesn't have a minimum range and hope you vaporize him. You probably won't get another good setup again, so paste his rear end now.

Banshee - If our guesses are right about B5, you will not win at range. You can't get up into his face this turn, but you can close it up. Head to 1321 and give 'im a 2xPPC/AC10 facepunch.

Wolfhound - You are pretty much hosed. He's bigger than you, better armed and you may or may not be able to outmaneuver him. Run to 1021. Laser the crap out of him and kick his drat head in. He's already called you a dishonorable dog, you might as well show it and brain him with your foot.

Rommel - 1120. AC20 into B5's guts. Put his rear end down.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Brandy Collins posted:

2,200 on the dot according to IS Atlas, including the Clan worlds.

And no, they will not "swarm to win." That's really frankly retarded, swarming one insignificant world that stubbornly refuses to just give up when you have vast interstellar empires to run, and that said swarming would necessitate leaving tracts of your interstellar empire unguarded, potentially open to your enemies.

Plus, we do have nukes, and we wouldn't hesitate to use them on your DropShips as they approach orbit.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Random question, since I played the MW games but not the tabletop, whats the most "powerful" mech? Daishi?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tempest_56 posted:

Rommel - 1120. AC20 into B5's guts. Put his rear end down.

Trees are impassable for tanks.

Saint Celestine posted:

Random question, since I played the MW games but not the tabletop, whats the most "powerful" mech? Daishi?

Depends on your metrics. In terms of battle value, it's the Daishi 'C' variant (BV: 3290, WV: 6697). In terms of weapon value, it's the Iron Cheetah F variant (BV: 2555, WV: 7226). In terms of other metrics? It varies. There really isn't a 'best', it all depends on the playstyle. Omnis tend to be built as generalists, which means a specialist 'Mech can outperform them in the right situation.

Cost also isn't a good indicator of effectiveness, the most expensive 'Mech is the DFN-3C Defiance, which costs 72,399,250 C-Bills (BV: 1416, WV: 1186)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 2, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Actually, a Warhawk has a higher battle value than a Dire Wolf.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Piranha principle. If any of the Great Houses send enough forces to entirely wreck our poo poo (and I mean entirely, just one Regiment probably wouldn't be enough), then they risk taking troops away from a vital defensive line protecting them from the other Great Houses and then get pushed back like crazy when those other Great Houses decide to invade. The Great Houses never agree to a ceasefire just to stomp one drat world into the ground.

Goddamn, are we like, some kind of complimentary sine-wave or something, coming to the same conclusion the other is coming to while the other is typing?

quote:

Also, if one of the Great Houses decided to go after us for our vaunted technology, either the other Great Houses would send forces to gently caress them up for attempting to get a technological leg up, or ComStar would ruin their poo poo.

Amusingly, if ComStar decided to try and wreck our poo poo, we'd wreck their poo poo (since they probably wouldn't send more than a Level 3,) then grab their LosTech 'mechs and when the Great Houses finally got around to coming for us, we'd be fielding an unholy fusion of Tech 2 BattleTech and 2010 modern warfare.

It would be a curbstomp on par with the Clan Invasion of 3038.... Until they do realize that if they don't raze our Earth flat immediately, we'll (a) soon be fielding our own DropShips in-system and mining Mars and our asteroid belt to extend our resources, and (b) sooner or later we'll manage to capture a JumpShip with one of those purloined dropships captured in a daring deck-to-deck commando raid, and be expanding to nearby star systems. Which means that they probably would send enough forces to zergrush our poo poo. :(

But it'll be fun while it lasts! :) (Plus, there's always the chance we can hire a 'merc unit away from them... I bet the Dragoons or the Kell Hounds or the ELH would be willing to throw in with us in exchange for technological upgrades.)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

And no, they will not "swarm to win." That's really frankly retarded, swarming one insignificant world that stubbornly refuses to just give up when you have vast interstellar empires to run, and that said swarming would necessitate leaving tracts of your interstellar empire unguarded, potentially open to your enemies.

Plus, we do have nukes, and we wouldn't hesitate to use them on your DropShips as they approach orbit.

Yup, this too. Seriously, ShadowDragon, are you reading from the same forums that I am? Great minds, once again. :hfive:

EDIT: Holy poo poo...

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Goddamn, are we like, some kind of complimentary sine-wave or something, coming to the same conclusion the other is coming to while the other is typing?

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Amusingly, if ComStar decided to try and wreck our poo poo, we'd wreck their poo poo (since they probably wouldn't send more than a Level 3,) then grab their LosTech 'mechs and when the Great Houses finally got around to coming for us, we'd be fielding an unholy fusion of Tech 2 BattleTech and 2010 modern warfare.

It would be a curbstomp on par with the Clan Invasion of 3038.... Until they do realize that if they don't raze our Earth flat immediately, we'll (a) soon be fielding our own DropShips in-system and mining Mars and our asteroid belt to extend our resources, and (b) sooner or later we'll manage to capture a JumpShip with one of those purloined dropships captured in a daring deck-to-deck commando raid, and be expanding to nearby star systems. Which means that they probably would send enough forces to zergrush our poo poo. :(

But it'll be fun while it lasts! :) (Plus, there's always the chance we can hire a 'merc unit away from them... I bet the Dragoons or the Kell Hounds or the ELH would be willing to throw in with us in exchange for technological upgrades.)

Oh, the ELH or the Dragoons would definitely throw down alongside us... Especially since we are in control of Terra (albeit an alternate one that got ported to the BattleTech universe in some way...), and since Terra is seen as the Seat of the Star League and those two mercenary groups have a vested interest in wanting to protect Terra...

Also, I dunno about other people's interpretations of the Combine, but would certain members of the DCMS and the leadership be unwilling to attack us because of Glorious Nippon? I mean, the leadership of the Combine claim descendancy from an Admiral Kurita in the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II, so they might be unwilling to attack their ancestors. Doubly so if there's still any sort of fealty paid to the Emperor of Japan in the Combine.

There's also the fact that there's a sizable force of Azami Muslims in the Combine. What will they do when they realize that we have a Mecca that wasn't destroyed by Stefan Amaris during his takeover of Terra? More musings from the other forum where this was brought up...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 2, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

The 'mech with the single highest Battle Value in MegaMek is the Marauder II Bounty Hunter. It's a 100-ton Clan BattleMech, 3/5/3 with a Standard engine, 17 DHS, ferro fibrous and endo-steel, maximized armor, 2 ERPPCs, four Medium Pulse Lasers, a Gauss Rifle, two tons of Gauss ammo, and a targeting computer. It weighs in at 3,767 BV.

Second is a Tundra Wolf 2, a 75-ton Clan BattleMech, 3/6(8)/4, with an XL engine and MASC, Improved JJ, 19 DHS, 224/231 standard armor, Endo Steel chassis, an ERPPC, 6 ERMLs, an ERLL, an LRM15, two tons of LRM15 ammo, and a targeting computer. Clocks in at 3,626 BV.

Third is the Daishi C (Finally, an omni!) It's a 100-ton Clan OmniMech, 3/5/3, with a 300 XL engine, 23 DHS, 304/307 armor, two ERPPCs, two ARM6, four Medium Pulse Lasers, a one-shot Streak SRM4, two tons of ATM6 ammo, a Targeting Computer and an ECM Suite. This monster weighs in at 3,610 BV.

The Daishi I most love to get my back in AJ_Impy's hands is the Daishi D, which slightly misses the Top 10 by being the 12th-highest by BV. Like the C, it has a 3/5 300XL engine and 304/307 armor. It carries 15 DHS, two HAG/40s, a Streak SRM 6, two MPLs and an ER Small Laser. Ten tons of HAG/40 ammo keep those beasties firing.

It occurs to me that I can make a better version of the Daishi D. Streak SRMs are kind of pointless with its engagement profile. To the drawing board!

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Yup, this too. Seriously, ShadowDragon, are you reading from the same forums that I am? Great minds, once again. :hfive:

I swear, I'm not! I don't even know what forums you're talking about, nor do I frequent any BTech forums.

Great minds. :hfive:

quote:

Oh the ELH or the Dragoon would definitely throw down with us... Especially since we are in control of Terra (albeit an alternate one that got ported to the BattleTech universe in some way...), and since Terra is seen as the Seat of the Star League and those two mercenary groups have a vested interest in wanting to protect Terra...

I think you mean "throw in with us," instead of "throw down with us," since to "throw down" with someone means you're engaging in hostilities against them, as opposed to engaging in hostilities in support of them. But yeah. They'd be throwing down with the Great Houses, alongside us.

So, that's two of the greatest and most powerful, and most prestigious, merc units in the IS throwing in with us... We'd still probably lose if it came to a zergrush, but that would probably cripple the war-fighting ability of any Great House that tried, leaving them easy pickings for their enemies. Hence, they wouldn't. (Try, that is.)

quote:

Also, I dunno about other people's interpretations of the Combine, but would certain members of the DCMS and the leadership be unwilling to attack us because of Glorious Nippon? I mean, the leadership of the Combine claim descendantcy from an Admiral Kurita in the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II, so they might be unwilling to attack their ancestors. Doubly so if there's still any sort of fealty paid to the Emperor of Japan in the Combine.

I dunno. They might actually be spoiling for a proper Samurai on Samurai fight. (They would of course, only be disappointed to discover that the JSDF is basically a fully-subsidized, Japanese bargain version of the United States military.)

quote:

There's also the fact that there's a sizable force of Azami Muslims in the Combine. What will they do when they realize that we have a Mecca that wasn't destroyed by Stefan Amaris during his takeover of Terra? More musings from the other forum where this was brought up...

Try to take it back from the infidels? Declare jihad on our hertic false muslims with their false Mecca? Not give a whole lot of a good goddamn because space-muslims aren't modern-day islamic fanatics In Space? I dunno, I wouldn't count on something like that doing much of anything.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

which slightly misses the Top 10 by being the 12th-highest by BV.

Take this as you will:

PoptartsNinja's Heavy Metal Top 10
1) Dire Wolf (Daishi) C - 3290
2) LP Executioner B - 3091
3) Turkina B - 3043
4) Blood Asp E - 3042
5) Iron Cheetah B - 3042
6) Marauder IIC - 2991
7) LP Executioner Prime - 2967
8) Blood Asp A - 2901
9) Blood Kite 2 - 2901
10) LP Executioner A - 2894

Fun fact, 7 of the 10 'Mechs with the lowest battle value (not counting 'base' omnis with no weapons) are Wasps.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I swear, I'm not! I don't even know what forums you're talking about, nor do I frequent any BTech forums.

Great minds. :hfive:

A shame. Then again, most of this stuff isn't coming directly from me, just from that forum filtered through me. Still, it does have a lot of my own thoughts in there, so, great minds, I guess.

quote:

I think you mean "throw in with us," instead of "throw down with us," since to "throw down" with someone means you're engaging in hostilities against them, as opposed to engaging in hostilities in support of them. But yeah. They'd be throwing down with the Great Houses, alongside us.

So, that's two of the greatest and most powerful, and most prestigious, merc units in the IS throwing in with us... We'd still probably lose if it came to a zergrush, but that would probably cripple the war-fighting ability of any Great House that tried, leaving them easy pickings for their enemies. Hence, they wouldn't. (Try, that is.)

Yeah, that was a typo. We'd probably have an aegis due to them for a bit. Enough to hold off any contenders for a while. Also, I forgot about Snord's Irregulars. They'd probably show up and throw in with us as well just to get a gander at all the miscellaneous stuff that they've been hunting all over the Inner Sphere for.

quote:

Try to take it back from the infidels? Declare jihad on our hertic false muslims with their false Mecca? Not give a whole lot of a good goddamn because space-muslims aren't modern-day islamic fanatics In Space? I dunno, I wouldn't count on something like that doing much of anything.

I dunno, I figured that you might see some defections to our side just so they could fulfill their obligation for a haji (or however that's spelled). I would think that they would come just to protect Mecca from another attack that would almost definitely ruin it again...

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Take this as you will:

PoptartsNinja's Heavy Metal Top 10
1) Dire Wolf (Daishi) C - 3290
2) LP Executioner B - 3091
3) Turkina B - 3043
4) Blood Asp E - 3042
5) Iron Cheetah B - 3042
6) Marauder IIC - 2991
7) LP Executioner Prime - 2967
8) Blood Asp A - 2901
9) Blood Kite 2 - 2901
10) LP Executioner A - 2894

Fun fact, 7 of the 10 'Mechs with the lowest battle value (not counting 'base' omnis with no weapons) are Wasps.

Your LP 'mechs scare me. :ohdear:

They also me happy in the coolant suit to know that you're going to post TRO: PoptartsNinja when this LP is done. :sun:

I also account for your HeavyMetal giving different numbers because I went into MegaMek and told it to give me a list of absolutely every 'Mech it had on file, including Advanced, Experimental and Unofficial. It may have more 'mechs than your Heavy Metal has.

Also, did you know that you don't need to use Heavy Metal? They produced MegaMekLab, which works quite well.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, that was a typo. We'd probably have an aegis due to them for a bit. Enough to hold off any contenders for a while. Also, I forgot about Snord's Irregulars. They'd probably show up and throw in with us as well just to get a gander at all the miscellaneous stuff that they've been hunting all over the Inner Sphere for.

Perhaps! They might also join the invasion force for a chance to loot all that stuff, though. So... 50/50. It's a toss-up, but worth hopin for.

quote:

I dunno, I figured that you might see some defections to our side just so they could fulfill their obligation for a haji (or however that's spelled). I would think that they would come just to protect Mecca from another attack that would almost definitely ruin it again...

Somehow I don't see entire DCMS units defecting just to protect one city on the planet potentially being invaded. Just... Seems a bit unlikely to me.

Also, why did Stefan Amaris destroy a big rock?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Somehow I don't see entire DCMS units defecting just to protect one city on the planet potentially being invaded. Just... Seems a bit unlikely to me.

Also, why did Stefan Amaris destroy a big rock?

I dunno, The Azami were pretty much given free reign by the Coordinator, IIRC, as long as they provide some regiments for him to fight with. They might defect if it gets them to finally be able to make a pilgrimage to Mecca, they might not.

And I think Amaris destroyed Mecca so that he wouldn't have any focal points of opposition against his rule during his takeover of Terra. The Kaaba certainly qualifies, along with probably the Vatican as well... I might just be remembering this wrongly, but it certainly makes sense to me...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Longinus00 posted:

Actually the cyclops can do it without the pavement running roll, it just has to risk taking even more damage than it already has (Cyclops has less armor than the Zeus even before taking any damage).

Unless I'm miscounting, I can't actually charge him in one turn. I can end up in the hex right in front of him, and turn to face, but don't you need enough MP to actually move into his hex to declare a charge?

If that's the case, I might just walk this turn, which still gets me into short range of my guns. Then assuming I survive until next turn (and he doesn't move) I can attempt to charge him... ?

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That is possible, yes. The best way would've been for the Cyclops to walk up to him and Push him off the map. Unfortunately, the Cyclops walked away instead.

Yep, that was a monumental brainfart in my case. I was trying to force him into close range to get LOS and completely missed the option of going all the way around the lake. :doh:

Tempest_56 posted:

Cyclops/Zeus - No more faffing about. Cyclops goes to 1614, Zeus to 1717. Hit B3 with god damned everything that doesn't have a minimum range and hope you vaporize him. You probably won't get another good setup again, so paste his rear end now.

This plan is likely to get us shot to poo poo, but I think it's the best option right now. :911:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

And I think Amaris destroyed Mecca so that he wouldn't have any focal points of opposition against his rule during his takeover of Terra. The Kaaba certainly qualifies, along with probably the Vatican as well... I might just be remembering this wrongly, but it certainly makes sense to me...

Sounds like typical idiot-troglodyte way of thinking that the brilliant white man can just stomp all over a "primitive" ethnicity by loving up some holy poo poo and shouting "where is your god now."

It's a sentiment I've heard recently, too - the nonsense notion that if you start burying killed muslims in pigskins facing down, that it'll be so horrific to their religion that it will break their will to fight you, or if you just nuke mecca, proving once and for all that their faith is powerless superstition unable to protect their holiest site, it'll just destroy the religion somehow.

Actually, I think that destroying Mecca would, if anything, create the focal point of resistance to his reign, and motivate every violence-minded Muslim to jihad against Amaris. It would be entirely in keeping with what we know of him to pull a bonehead maneuver like that, and then "resolve" the situation by holding a holocaust.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

WarLocke posted:

This plan is likely to get us shot to poo poo, but I think it's the best option right now. :911:

Good luck. Remember, if one or all of you go down or die fighting, you did it in defense of a vital Lyran world and protecting at least 2 Steiners. That's gotta count for something, right?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 2, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Unless I'm miscounting, I can't actually charge him in one turn. I can end up in the hex right in front of him, and turn to face, but don't you need enough MP to actually move into his hex to declare a charge?

Yes. But, if you can get adjacent to him and facing him, you can attempt to Push him, even if you Jumped. I think it'll work if you run, too.

quote:

You're in Tech 1 'mechs and outnumbered and outtonned by the Clans. Getting shot to poo poo is a foregone conclusion. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Don't count on some arbitrary shoving to win you this game. This is an LP not a tournament. He might just get up and walk back on the board for all you know, there is no flavour reason for him to be out of the fight unless there is a cliff right on the edge.

• Locked thread