Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Is Pyramids the book that talks about camels doing differential calculus in their heads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

LooseChanj posted:

Is Pyramids the book that talks about camels doing differential calculus in their heads?

That's the one.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RobattoJesus posted:

My quest to read all the books consecutively hit a bit of a road-block with Pyramids.

I loved the first part. I've been wanting an Assassins guild story for a while, but then just as it was getting good the book ditches all the interesting characters and goes back to the relatively uninteresting Djelibeybi where Teppic gets bossed around and complains a lot, and does gently caress all about it despite the fact that he's a King-God-Assassin. We're introduced to Dios who is a bit of a jerk, but apart from that isn't really "evil" and seemed to only have power because Teppic let him. Nothing happens for the next 150 pages, and there doesn't really seem to be any real driving force to the plot. Then Djelibeybi suddenly gets thrown into another dimension, which produces "mild-peril" for a bunch of characters I didn't really care about, and seemingly neither did Teppic. Then two countries that are barely introduced threaten to go to war, and then finally everything magically went back to how it was except Dios ended up in a time loop, which is fair enough I guess.

The book had some fantastic jokes, particularly the bit about the riddle of the Sphinx, and there were a lot of clever observations about the real world, but overall I found the book really hard to get through because I think I felt like the book could have ended at any point and things wouldn't really have been that horrific for everyone involved. (Maybe it's just because 90% of Discworld books seem to have some kind of world-ending peril looming overhead).

I'm a little worried because checking the reviews on goodreads, I seem to be fairly alone in my opinion, and a lot of people think that this book was the turning point at which the books got a lot better. Also googling for "Least favorite Discworld book" the few people that mentioned Pyramids also hated Small Gods, and with everyone raving about it for the last few pages I've been really looking forward to that book. :(

Don't worry about Small Gods. You'll love it.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I'm not a big fan of Pyramids either. There's some cool foreshadowing with names, but it's drifting and threat-free for the most part. For my money it's the second weakest book of the Disc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Evfedu posted:

There's some cool foreshadowing with names

The names raises the question of when Small Gods is on the Discworld timeline. It seems like it takes place before the other books (when Mightily Oats were kid for example the more tolerant version of Omnianism had been around for some time) and yet the philosophers appears in both Pyramids and Small Gods.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No, I felt the same way about Pyramids. When I finally got around to reading the books after several years of 'You haven't read the Discworld books?!'[1] I went through them in a haphazard order, coming around to Pyramids because I kept getting told how awesome it was. I really liked the first half in A-M, but the second half just dragged for me, and I genuinely couldn't care, although I liked the philosophers. I read it right after Small Gods, so Dios just felt like another Vorbis. It's been so long now since I've read them that they're pretty interchangeable in my head, and I can't remember which bit happened in what.

[1]I'm related to Pterry and have the same surname

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And a very cool avatar username combination too. Though as I do recall, Dios is the luckier of the two.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Alhazred posted:

The names raises the question of when Small Gods is on the Discworld timeline. It seems like it takes place before the other books (when Mightily Oats were kid for example the more tolerant version of Omnianism had been around for some time) and yet the philosophers appears in both Pyramids and Small Gods.

Apart from the usual "Men In Saffron" explanation for that, I'm sure that in one of the books it talks about philosophers (I think) using the same names again and again. Not sure though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

If you buy the Thief of Time explanation/copout of chronology then it doesn't really matter in the end.

e;f,b

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably it is safe to ignore the opinions of anyone who didn't like Small Gods.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I read the Discworld books in order from the beginning, and I really enjoyed Pyramids.

Then when I read them again I didn't like it very much. I enjoyed the parts about the Assassin's guild, and the references to Egyptian mythology (of which I was nuts about once upon a time) but it's just not a great story. The characters are all quite two-dimensional and uninteresting, and despite Djelibeybi becoming a bit more advanced in the world it felt like nothing had really happened.

Small Gods, on the other hand, I loved the first time I read it and I've loved it every time since then. At the time I likened it to Pyramids because it took place outside of the established Discworld settings (Rincewind, Witches, Death - and by the time of Small Gods, the Watch) and I felt that it added a lot to the world. But it doesn't really. It's not as bad as, say, Moving Pictures, but it's not great (though Moving Pictures introduced Gaspode the Wonder Dog, who is brilliant).

For a PYF style list, my top five would have to include Small Gods, Night Watch, Jingo, Wyrd Sisters and (perhaps controversially) Interesting Times.
The bottom five would be The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Soul Music, Moving Pictures and Pyramids. I'm probably alone in these lists though.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
The best part of Pyramids is the bit about Ptraci's accent: Teppic remarks that when speaking the "common tongue" she has an "accent" that makes her pronounce all words that start with the letter T as if they started like her name, with a silent P. I found the book pretty forgettable on the whole, but that had me in stitches.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

PateraOctopus posted:

The best part of Pyramids is the bit about Ptraci's accent: Teppic remarks that when speaking the "common tongue" she has an "accent" that makes her pronounce all words that start with the letter T as if they started like her name, with a silent P. I found the book pretty forgettable on the whole, but that had me in stitches.

Linguistically, that's actually perfectly possible. Even in english, consonants are pronounced with subtle differences depending on where they appear in combination with other letters. Our writing system only reflects the differences that are important to us - so Ptraci could speak a dialect where 't' is pronounced differently if it appears at the start of a word, denoted by a silent P (kind of like 'q' requiring a 'u' in english). When speaking Common, it would be logical for her to pronounce word-initial 't' forms as 'Pt' out of habit.

Obviously that's not what Pratchett was going for, but it's a pretty cool instance of reality being at least as strange as fantasy. v:shobon:v

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Praptcheptt.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
A Handy List To Skip If You Are New To The Series:

Pyramids
Moving Pictures
Equal Rites
Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic until-you're-already-sold-on-the-idea
Monstrous Regiment until-you-don't-have-any-other-books-to-read

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a scene in Moving Pictures about some one (the main characters friend?) taking a test which only has the question "what is your name?", and he answers like My name is Konec Hry which is the name I use and underlines it and stuff. Because that's a really funny scene and the only one I remember from that book.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Konec Hry posted:

Isn't there a scene in Moving Pictures about some one (the main characters friend?) taking a test which only has the question "what is your name?", and he answers like My name is Konec Hry which is the name I use and underlines it and stuff. Because that's a really funny scene and the only one I remember from that book.
It's Ponder's wizard exam.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The only thing I really remember from Moving Pictures is Gaspode the Wonder Dog.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I feel like I'm the only guy who enjoyed both Soul Music and Moving Pictures sometimes.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I feel like I'm the only guy who enjoyed both Soul Music and Moving Pictures sometimes.

I enjoyed Soul Music and Moving Pictures, though Soul Music didn't click with me until my second or third reading for some reason. But then again I also enjoyed Monstrous Regiment, which seems to pop up on people's list of least favourite Discworld books with depressing regularity.

Quizitastrix
Nov 18, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Nilbop posted:

Equal Rites

Hey I liked Equal Rites! <:mad:>

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't know how you could NOT enjoy Soul Music if you like Blues Brothers. And I always thought Moving Pictures was underrated - certainly one of my least favorite Discworld books, but still a great book.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Quizitastrix posted:

Hey I liked Equal Rites! <:mad:>

I know I'm not going to be some unbiased watermark by which the books are judged, but Equal Rites was the only book in the series that made me think "Man, this just reads like bad fantasy." I can see why some people would like it though.

mentor07825
Apr 8, 2011

by Ozma

Nilbop posted:

I know I'm not going to be some unbiased watermark by which the books are judged, but Equal Rites was the only book in the series that made me think "Man, this just reads like bad fantasy." I can see why some people would like it though.

I would have to agree. I've read just about every Discworld novel out there, except the first children's book. I cannot remember the name, but it had the piper and the rodents.

I did not much care for Equal Rites. Also Pyramids. However Small Gods made me think about religion, and it was hilarious :)

mentor07825
Apr 8, 2011

by Ozma
I'm actually surprised that this thread isn't more active. I <3 Terry Pratchett with all my heart. I know it sounds gay, but I freaking love him! Has anyone here read the latest book following the little girl? I can't remember the exact name unfortunately but she's a witch :)

Also when will the book Raising Taxes be released? Has anyone here even gone to his book signings? It's shameful really, I live a half hour away from Dublin, he teaches at Trinity college, and I have yet to see the man in person.

I fear if I do I might kidnap him and hope his wisdom and dry sense of humour will rub off on me....

But in all seriousness, his books are amazing! Has anyone noticed the writing difference from the first two books and onwards? A portion of the lore that was laid down in the first two, such as saying a spell makes you instantly forget it and somewhat drugged up, seems completely omitted. Also he is now leaning more on the comedy side than the scientific/fantasy side of things, which I think are for the better.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nilbop posted:

A Handy List To Skip If You Are New To The Series:

Pyramids
Moving Pictures
Equal Rites
Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic until-you're-already-sold-on-the-idea
Monstrous Regiment until-you-don't-have-any-other-books-to-read

I rather liked Equal Rites (which I reread just last year), even if Granny wasn't quite the Granny we know back then, and the University was at its infancy, same with Lancre. And it of course gained a lot with the connection to ISWM too.

Monstrous Regiment gets better with rereading in my opinion. I didn't like it the first time around, but now I'm quite fond of it.

mentor07825
Apr 8, 2011

by Ozma

Decius posted:

I rather liked Equal Rites (which I reread just last year), even if Granny wasn't quite the Granny we know back then, and the University was at its infancy, same with Lancre. And it of course gained a lot with the connection to ISWM too.

Monstrous Regiment gets better with rereading in my opinion. I didn't like it the first time around, but now I'm quite fond of it.

Equal Rites was okay, nothing special to me. It seems it's a hit or miss with people it seems. However I do agree with everything on that list besides Monstrous Regiment. I guess that's my Equal Rites.

The first two books really are not for those who are new to the series, yet they're the most hilarious I find, or amongst the hilarious :')

Pyramids....I didn't like it. Plain and simple. I read it because it was a Terry Pratchett Discworld novel. I have re-read the Discworld novels twice except that one.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I'm currently reading through Witches Abroad and it has really made me laugh out loud. The Witches are just such great characters and Greebo is a bonafied badass.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The best bit of Witches Abroad is Nanny Ogg wrestling with foreign languages.

"It means the Old (Male) River. Words have sex in foreign parts."
"I wouldn't be at all surprised."

(or something like that)

mentor07825
Apr 8, 2011

by Ozma
Greebo is a badass!!! The witches are so cool :) Mistress Weatherwax still remains my favourite though, but you can always rely on Nanny Ogg as well :) My number one all time favourite is Small Gods, I just think that's brilliant :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

The best bit of Witches Abroad is Nanny Ogg wrestling with foreign languages.

"It means the Old (Male) River. Words have sex in foreign parts."
"I wouldn't be at all surprised."

(or something like that)

Granny Weatherwax trying to master a joke in that one always makes me smile. Plus Nanny Ogg and her boots.

Half of us here certainly had a Nan like Nanny Ogg admit it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Granny Weatherwax trying to master a joke in that one always makes me smile. Plus Nanny Ogg and her boots.

Half of us here certainly had a Nan like Nanny Ogg admit it.

Mine looked like Nanny Ogg but had the personality of Granny Weatherwax, but meaner.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

mentor07825 posted:

I'm actually surprised that this thread isn't more active. I <3 Terry Pratchett with all my heart. I know it sounds gay, but I freaking love him! Has anyone here read the latest book following the little girl? I can't remember the exact name unfortunately but she's a witch :)

Also when will the book Raising Taxes be released?

The Tiffany Aching books are all pretty superior for the Young-Adult-ish market. I Shall Wear Midnight isn't my favorite of them, but it is still pretty drat good. In that vein make extra special sure to find a copy of Nation, which was a sort of recent non-Disc YA book he did. It's fantastic all over.

And Raising Taxes doesn't have a release date that I know of, nor can we be absolutely sure Terry's going to get a chance to write it given his tragic health issues despite his heroic writing output. However, there is definitely an upcoming Watch book called "Snuff" that's coming out in October. And the Watch books have mostly been my favorite of his Discworld writing, so that's likely to be good as well.

mentor07825
Apr 8, 2011

by Ozma

ThaGhettoJew posted:

The Tiffany Aching books are all pretty superior for the Young-Adult-ish market. I Shall Wear Midnight isn't my favorite of them, but it is still pretty drat good. In that vein make extra special sure to find a copy of Nation, which was a sort of recent non-Disc YA book he did. It's fantastic all over.

And Raising Taxes doesn't have a release date that I know of, nor can we be absolutely sure Terry's going to get a chance to write it given his tragic health issues despite his heroic writing output. However, there is definitely an upcoming Watch book called "Snuff" that's coming out in October. And the Watch books have mostly been my favorite of his Discworld writing, so that's likely to be good as well.

It really is sad about his condition :( I've never cried over a celebraty's death but I know that when I hear of Terry Pratchett's passing I'm going to bawl my eyes all over the place :'(

I didn't know about that one, I will absolutely keep a lookout for Nation. Thank you for giving me the heads up man!!! I would've been ignorant of its existence otherwise if you haven't told me :( Thank you!

I enjoy those books. Especially Thud! When that book had all the criminals being nice just to avoid the poo poo storm that Vimes would give when he came back was hilarious!! It also just goes to show how diabolical the Vetinari really is as well, or at least further into him. I don't think we've hit what he really is all about.

I'll keep a look out for Snuff though :) Thanky you!

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
There's something about Witches Abroad that I just really hate. I read it once, and didn't like it and it put me off reading any other Witches books for a while. After reading some of the others and enjoying them I went back to it, and I just can't get into it. Maybe I'll give it one more shot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Maybe you decided not to see the elephant?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

KTS posted:

There's something about Witches Abroad that I just really hate.
The gambling scene on the riverboat is one of the finest things he's ever written.

mentor07825 posted:

Has anyone here even gone to his book signings?
Hell, I've been to at least three, and I live in the US. One interesting one was at the National Book Festival in DC a few years ago. The interesting thing about it was how massively the organizers underestimated the fanbase. I got there pretty early and the line was already enormous. It eventually got so long that they had to start a second line. And then they had to cut it. And then the signing still ran over the scheduled time even though all he was doing was scribbling his name as fast as he could.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Mine looked like Nanny Ogg but had the personality of Granny Weatherwax, but meaner.

Mine looked like Nanny Ogg and acted exactly like her, but for all the fornicating as far as I knew and owned a pub and was awesome every day.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone been listening to the Mort radio play on the iPlayer? It's pretty decent I thought. The voice of Death seems a bit odd after watching the televised adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone been listening to the Mort radio play on the iPlayer? It's pretty decent I thought. The voice of Death seems a bit odd after watching the televised adaptations.

All four radio plays are fantastic. The Witches one less so because Wyrd Sisters just didn't do it for me, but Guards! Guards! is spot on (Welsh Carrot!) and Small Gods is just as good as you'd expect it to be.