Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I even found a movie called Barfly!"

"Um, I think that one's supposed to be "Bar Fly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Quest For Glory II posted:

The only ska singers I appreciate are Chris Murray and maybe Reese Roper for his ability to hit literally any note in any octave (but I know people who hate his voice too, sooooo).

If you don't like Reese Roper's voice you literally need to get hosed.

I agree with guppy about Buck-O-Nine, I really like them but the singer grates on me if I try to listen to them often.

As for ska singers I really like, I love Matt Embree's voice but his best vocal work really came after Rx moved away from ska so I don't really know if I count that.

Even though they are basically done at this point (and one left the band) I'll always love Aaron Barrett and Scott.

I also really like Reed Wolcott and Chuck Robertson.

Also if you don't like Dicky Barrett's growling, then you should be allowed to listen to ska.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I remember last time I saw the Bosstones someone tried to give Dicky a beer. He said, "Thanks, but that's your beer, you should drink it. I mean, who am I?" The guy yelled back, "YOU'RE DICKY loving BARRETT!" Dicky said "Excellent point" and drank the beer.

Then they played a cover of Rudy Can't Fail. gently caress I want to see the Bosstones again. I wish they toured more.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

that is the best loving thing i have ever heard

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Also if you don't like Dicky Barrett's growling, then you should be allowed to listen to ska.

Uh I think you meant to say shouldn't :colbert:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Mighty Mighty Bosstones suck dick, Operation Ivy is the greatest ska band of all time. That is all.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Triangulum posted:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones suck dick, Operation Ivy is the greatest ska band of all time. That is all.
Man, what happened to you? You used to be cool. :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite Bosstones story is from the time my friend yelled "Detroit Rock City" during a set break, and Dicky looked at him before kind of shaking his head and moving into the next song.

I guess "Rudy Can't Fail" is a better appreciated contribution to their catalog than the other tribute comps they appeared on in the '90s.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I love that he stops doing his thing to yell at people for being assholes in the pit. When I saw them he stopped mid-song to yell at some guy for starting a fight. The band is still playing, Ben is still dancing, Dicky has stopped singing and is just yelling at a guy. Good times.

Also, Rudy Can't Fail is a better appreciated contribution because it's Rudy Can't loving Fail. It's hard to beat the Clash.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

guppy posted:

Man, what happened to you? You used to be cool. :(

For what it's worth, I've always hated the bosstones

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't hate the Bosstones, man. They have a guy that just dances. Ben Carr is the greatest dude ever.

Dumbly Bumpkin
Jul 6, 2004
My pinko commie lamp is liar
It is nice to see that people still listen to ska and go see ska shows these days.

I'm in a band called The 4 Aspirin Morning, and we have been trying to start a punk/ska revival in Madison for a while now, and we are starting to see a few more bands come out and play and more fans come to see the shows.

While a few national acts stop by a couple of times a year, before we started there was little to nothing on the local scene for ska. The one notable ska band from Madison, I Voted For Kodos, broke up a few years ago.

We have been gigging for over a year now, and have played a few bigger shows/venues, including Summerfest last year, and are just putting the finishing touches on our fist EP, as well as 2 music videos.

Here is our site with 2 songs off the demo we made last year, and 1 song that we did for the Madison area Christmas album. As soon as our EP is finished we will be getting the videos and music up on the site.

http://www.4amband.com/

And here is our FaceBook site:

http://www.facebook.com/!/4aspirinmorning

Let me know what you think of the songs, they are our most "3rd wave" the rest of our stuff is a little darker, and more grown up than your usual "Reel Big Fish/Suburban Legends" style stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Preorders for new, final Flaming Tsunamis are go here

Also has info about the benefit show for the Dubey family

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Todd Hembrook (Deal's Gone Bad), Obi Fernandez (Westbound Train), and Glen Pine (The Slackers) are some guys that can really sing when given the chance. I also do enjoy alot of bands that have some pretty bad vocalists, but I think that is almost a requirement to be a ska band.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

bear shark posted:

Uh I think you meant to say shouldn't :colbert:

You know drat well that's what I meant :colbert:

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
I had a brief love affair with ska in high school. Never thought I'd post in this thread, but as it seems to be acting as a kind of ska aggregator, I figured I'd post my friend's (recently RIPish) band, The A-OKs. Dunno if they've been mentioned yet.

pop-punky ska.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yesterday, along with 1,000-some-odd other folks, I celebrated the life of Mitchell Dubey in New Haven, Connecticut. To see the amount of impact this wonderfully positive man had on so many other people, heartbreaking as it was in spikes throughout the night, was nothing short of life-inspiring.

As an added bonus, I got to spend a little bit of time with some friends who I hadn’t seen in years in the New England scene. We’re talking kids who booked shows for us when they were fifteen. Kids who we played shows for when we were eighteen. Maybe it was just the spirit of the evening, but it was nice to see that these people who I’ve lost touch with for the most part, while grown up, have not changed at their cores. They are all still fun, friendly, great people and it was just fantastic to see all of them.

And so as I sit on a computer at work, I’m unable to work because I’m overflowing with energy, feeling so fortunate about being alive and having the privilege to have met the people I have over the course of, gently caress, like fifteen years playing music. It’s this spirit that I’m hoping to bring out to Seaford in a few hours, to set up drums and microphones with Tom and get crackin’ our next record Vacation, which should be out in July if all goes according to plan. Love all y’all.

Jeff

yesssssssssssss

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

please god jeff don't be loving with me

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
No kidding. Studio picture Mike sent me last night!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Man July is far away. Make some new loving ska, ska scene :mad:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

Placeholder for a list of bands!
A (RIP) indicates a band that is no longer around, but you should still listen.

Capdown (RIP)

frankthetank posted:

Was good to see Capdown earlier on in the thread. All of the stuff from their albums 'Pound for the Sound' and 'Civil Disobedients' is pure gold. Two other great english third wave UK Ska bands that have split up are:

http://www.myspace.com/farsetheband - Their album 'Boxing Clever' is brillaint! Buy it now!

and

http://www.myspace.com/adequateseven - These guys are slightly less ska, but still amazing!

It's a crying shame that these bands all had to split but hey, hopefully there'll be another wave of great English ska bands some time soon.

Capdown have a reunion gig this saturday in London.

My mates Claypigeon are supporting, if I can take an opportunity to plug them:

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 6, 2011

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Recording auxiliary percussion for Vacation:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why do you have these pics, you bastard?

I want this album so badly it's not even funny.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Why do you have these pics, you bastard?

I want this album so badly it's not even funny.

Haha I'm just tight with those guys. I'm playing bass for Costa's new side project too, but that won't see a release until after the Bomb record is ready.

Vocal Coach is seriously like the catchiest pop song Jeff's ever written. Straight up Elvis Costello style.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuu

If you're tight talk to them about playing in Syracuse, for real.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I'll mention it. Do Danny/Johanna still book shows up there?

http://www.twitvid.com/3NQTM

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 19, 2011

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

You should add Random Hand to list of thirdwave, saw them with RBF and Suburban Legends a few years ago, they're all awesome, that gig was pretty much what got me back into ska after a few years of listening to some terrible terrible things

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hedgecore posted:

I'll mention it. Do Danny/Johanna still book shows up there?

They do, but Danny's kinda hesitant to book them because the last time they played, way before Scrambles or Get Warmer, it was an iPod show and people were cranky. But! There's a local DIY space that'd be willing to rent out for us, and my friend and I have been putting feelers out for bands that would potentially maybe want to play it, so if Danny is a dink have them email me, email is in the profile.

e: Email's not in my profile, but it's my AIM name at gmail.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 9, 2011

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I just found this thread. Good thing I have some good news for any St. Louis area ska fans.

Mustard Plug is playing the Firebird on 5/11 and MU330 will be there on 6/11.

For anyone who might be interested, we have a local community radio station (88.1 KDHX) that has a 2 hour ska show every Saturday called Ska's the Limit that plays everything from First Wave up to Third Wave and all points in between along with some early reggae and rocksteady. They also archive the last two shows on the website, so you can listen in later if you miss them locally or streaming online.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So seeing the early version of Down Down Down posted the other page reminded me of some early versions of SitB songs I saw on youtube a long while back. I remember listening to these over and over in anticipation for SitB.

Early Watch it Crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxo26cxP3yA

Early Would You be Impressed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysZcpcpWMQ

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So the wife and I are going to Ska is Dead tonight. I haven't been to a show in ages so I am stoked.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

RBF is touring with Streetlight this summer I guess.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Huh. Maybe I will actually see RBF again then. I want to still love them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Huh. Maybe I will actually see RBF again then. I want to still love them.

It's like an abusive relationship. They keep hitting you and you keep going back thinking it'll be ok.

This is the part of the relationship where they stop hiding the drinking and become a raging alcoholic by the way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

It's like an abusive relationship. They keep hitting you and you keep going back thinking it'll be ok.

This is the part of the relationship where they stop hiding the drinking and become a raging alcoholic by the way.
I know you're right, but I keep hoping they can change. :sigh:

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
There was a time not too long ago when that announcement would brings tears to my eye. But now....sigh.

Bring back Scott.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

I know you're right, but I keep hoping they can change. :sigh:

Exactly my point.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Another Bomb studio pic...

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 19, 2011

Adbot