Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

1) King Kong- I have seen every version of this except for the original, so it's time
Enjoy it in all its stop motion glory.

Spirited Away is probably the perfect movie to watch when you're hitting the coming of age portion of your life, but luckily enough it was a good enough movie on its own that it still worked for someone of my age. It's really all you can ask for in a fantasy-adventure setting. It looked really good and really flowed well. I don't remember any instances where I was bored with it. Fine production.

New List:

1. Some Like it Hot - Have never seen a movie with Monroe.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. If I can watch it I would finally be able to argue why Wall-E deserved it! I have heard great things about this movie.

5. North by Northwest - This is the highest rated imdb movie I haven't seen, and it fits nicely into the Hitchcock slot.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. How to Train Your Dragon - Goon favorite. I guess I'm making this my animated slot.

8. Paths of Glory - I know absolutely nothing other than what I quickly saw when I clicked the imdb page. And I didn't know it was a Kubrick movie with Kirk Douglas.

9. Harvey - Know nothing other than it's another James Stewart movie that was well received. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in so far.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolutionaut
Oct 27, 2005
The Pumpkin Ghost of Halloween Future

marioinblack posted:

North by Northwest - This is the highest rated imdb movie I haven't seen, and it fits nicely into the Hitchcock slot.

Hi again! This one's better than Cars, believe me.

Casablanca surprised me. I expected something kind of dry, but it was very lively, really a strong pulse running through it. Not the best ever, but a lot of fun to watch even though cultural osmosis meant I already expected most of what happened. This thread really should be called “Watch Casblanca.”

1. 2001- I started to watch this on my dad’s recommendation when I was younger and stopped right away because I was bored. I also did this with Blade Runner, which I now love, so this needs to be rectified.

2. 2046- In the Mood for Love immediately became one of my all-time favorites after watching it, so I really should see this.

3. Oldboy- Seems like my demographic loves this movie?

4. Blood Simple- I’ve seen most of the Coen brothers’ movies and I feel like I should fill in the gaps.

5. The Maltese Falcon- I don’t know anything about noir, but think it’s a genre I should like. This is just the first noir I thought of.

7. Gone with the Wind- Super classic.

8. Tokyo Story- I’ve finished college, so it’s too late for me to take Film 101. This is one of the movies a class would’ve covered, yeah?

9. Rashomon- More Japanese film. Loved Seven Samurai, underwhelmed by Ran (which I blame VHS for, everything was so fuzzy).

10. Breakfast at Tiffany’s- I asked a friend what movies I should’ve seen, and this is the first one she came up with. OK Anna!!!

11. Audition- Another friend has been bugging me to see this for a while. Aight.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Revolutionaut posted:

1. 2001- I started to watch this on my dad’s recommendation when I was younger and stopped right away because I was bored. I also did this with Blade Runner, which I now love, so this needs to be rectified.

My childhood history with the movie is similiar. I think it's time.

I saw The Good, the Bad & the Ugly and holy poo poo, this is loving good. I saw the extended cut and it was an exemplary case of how a long movie should be utilizing it's runtime. There's so much going on in this movie and it somehow manages to keep it all together. It was so refreshing to see a piece with both ambition and the execution to match it, this movie didn't only become my immediate favourite western of all time but also take a place in my personal all time top 5. Regardless of any praise I have to give I usually hesitate to use the word masterpiece, but god drat. 9.5.

#1. Shawshank Redemption - 9.0

#2. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly I've seen atleast a dozen westerns as a kid, remember nothing of them and have no idea wether this is one of them. The idea of "I've probably seen it" has kept me away from it.

#3. Schindler's List I've heard alot of praise about this one, but every time I'm looking to watch a movie, I have a more appealing alternative present.

#4. 12 Angry Men - 8.5

#5. Citizen Kane This is a movie I've almost watched like 5 times, the first times I just couldn't find a copy anywhere but as of late have been spoiled abit and don't want to finish watching another hailed classic with a reaction of "meh"

#6. Apocalypse Now 7.0

#7. Singin in the Rain 9.0

#8. Ran Despite liking Kurosawa's B/Ws, this movie has always flown under my radar.

#9. Rain Man For the longest time I thought I'd seen it, turns out I had it mixed up with another movie.

#10. Psycho That's right, I haven't seen Psycho. The original was before my time and before I'd even seen it, the slasher genre had become my least favourite form of horror, the lowest common denominator, the one thing that bores the poo poo out of me beyond any other among all cinema, if you can even call it that. Can I watch the movie which basically ruined what feels like half of the entire horror genre? Should I even? You decide.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
If I recall correctly, the extended run didn't add anything important that changed the Movie in any noticeable way, for good or for bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hra Mormo posted:

I saw The Good, the Bad & the Ugly and holy poo poo, this is loving good. I saw the extended cut and it was an exemplary case of how a long movie should be utilizing it's runtime. There's so much going on in this movie and it somehow manages to keep it all together. It was so refreshing to see a piece with both ambition and the execution to match it, this movie didn't only become my immediate favourite western of all time but also take a place in my personal all time top 5. Regardless of any praise I have to give I usually hesitate to use the word masterpiece, but god drat. 9.5.

You should definitely watch Once Upon A Time in the West, if you haven't already. A fair share of people like it even better.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

#3. Schindler's List I've heard alot of praise about this one, but every time I'm looking to watch a movie, I have a more appealing alternative present.

This movie succeeds on a lot more than its dreary subject matter might suggest.

For the entirety of The Hill, only the direction was consistently great, beginning with the long opening shot. The last part of the movie got really intense, though. Given time to develop in the confines of a war prison, the tension between the prisoners and officers reached a critical point. Sean Connery in excellent form, as well as the actors who played the black prisoner and British sergeant.

Updated list:

The Bicycle Thief Languishing at the top of the queue

La Dolce Vita Have never seen this or any other picture by Fellini

The Asphalt Jungle Catching up with Huston and the noir genre

Reds The most epic in scope of Warren Beatty; kind of sounds like an interesting biography, given his political views

Manhattan Woody Allen's magnum opus according to some

Bringing Out the Dead This one's got potential

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

The Host Not expecting greatness, this is just a kind of filler

Inside Job Most recent Best Documentary, seems watchable

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront, Fantastic Planet, Annie Hall, Barton Fink, The 400 Blows, La Grande Illusion, Gandhi, The Hill

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Noctaurus, please enjoy Manhattan

King Kong was much better than i was expecting. For a story that I have seen iterations of before, it still had me on the edge of my seat. the level of humanity they were able to animate Kong with was astounding. You can't help but feel sorry for him. I don't think there was anything about it that I didn't love. I can only imagine how groundbreaking it was when it came out.

1) The Birds- can't go wrong with Hitchcock and suspense
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) Pan's Labyrinth- wanted some newer stuff on here, don't know if I'll like this
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Wings of Desire- picked this up in the latest Criterion sale because it intrigued me
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mistletoe Donkey, I feel like Shane has been on your list forever, so it's about time you watch it.

I may be going against the tide but Mean Streets didn't quite do it for me. It was good, but I can't call it great. At times the story didn't seem to really be progressing all that much. It was still good, and the acting was amazing as was to be expected, but overall it didn't quite hit near the same level as Scorsese's later films do. The editing felt disoriented at times and I just couldn't quite get myself all the way into it. Still it's a 7/10.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#49 Bowling For Columbine - I saw Sicko and it was funny, and I could use some solid political humor.

#53 Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song - Are we all just adding this to our lists? Eh, it's been awhile since my last Blaxploitation adventure anyway.

#55 Wild At Heart - As if I haven't put enough Lynch on this list already. But this one has Nic Cage.

#56 Mad Max - I haven't seen The Road Warrior either but I figure I should watch this one first.

#57 The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari - I haven't actually put any silents on this list yet. I'll start here.

#58 The Outlaw Josey Wales - Motherfuckin' is Clint Eastwood's middle name, right?

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 31, 2011

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

Here you go.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was very entertaining. Loved Johnny Depp's performance, and some of the visuals were hilarious. Just two hours of non-stop insanity.

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas It's a Wonderful Life - Seems like it might be too cheesy.

2. Singin' in the Rain - I guess I have to put this here after A Clockwork Orange used the title song so prominently.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

5. Once Upon a Time in the West - Love the Dollars trilogy, don't know why I haven't seen this yet.

6. The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

7. City of God - Going into this one fairly blind, which is rare since I somehow read the ending to every movie ever made.

8. Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

9. The Sting - Sounds fun.

10. Jules and Jim - Another French classic.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Atheistdeals.com,. I'm pleased as punch to give you Ikiru, one of my favorite movies of all times.

Anyway...Tokyo Story. The pace at first was frustrating, slow, but not nearly as elliptical or weird, so more tolerable than European films. Eventually, however, I realized what it was doing, and from then after was really pulled in. The theme of children pulling away from their parents after leaving home is powerful, and Chishu Ryu and Setsuko Hara leave indelible impressions. I'm glad I didn't put off watching it, either (pretty sure 8 1/2 suffered in my mind for having watched half of it in a sick haze, then coming back to it four months later). Japanese cinema kicks rear end, even when no actual asskicking occurs within the film. 9/10.

Anyway, the new list:
1. A Clockwork Orange - Own it, but have never watched it. I don't know why.
2. Singin' in the Rain - I feel like I've seen half of it, but I can't recall how, when, or why. I love Gene Kelly, though, so I'm sure I'd love it.
4. Apocalypse Now - I saw half of it on vacation when I was 12, and then my parents came back to the hotel room, and changed the channel, deeming it inappropriate entertainment for children. :smith:
5. Jaws - I own this, too. Honestly have no excuse for not seeing this.
6. Reservoir Dogs - Again, a movie I own. I...uh, have a lot of movies I own that I have not seen yet.
7. The 39 Steps - I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, but somehow this is one of my few blindspots.
8. Eraserhead - I've loved the two David Lynch films I've seen (Mulholland Dr. and The Elephant Man), and it seems like this is essential Lynch.
9. The General - Believe it or not, I've never seen a single Chaplin or Keaton film, so maybe this is a good place to start.
10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Because The Sting is awesome.
11. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Heard a lot of good things about this, but it just never appeared on my radar until now. Plus, I'm making a serious attempt at the They Shoot Pictures list now.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (9.5) , Unforgiven (8.5/10), Pulp Fiction(7.75/10), This is Spinal Tap(7/10), 8 1/2 (8/10), Tokyo Story (9/10)

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
Spatula City, watch The General, and then I recommend adding Our Hospitality to your list, another Keaton classic (which I thought was even better)

Watched Motorcycle Diaries last night. I enjoyed it. It was certainly well made and well acted, and it was interesting to see a young Che, to see some of the things that led him to have the views that he did. It's easy to see the who, it's a lot more interesting to see the why.

My List:

Girl Who Played With Fire: Only makes sense to put this on the list now

Twelve O'Clock High: I'm a fan of old war movies

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

The Heiress: Not my type of movie, but one that needs to be seen

The Informer: I understand this is a must-see

Arthur: One of those that slipped through the cracks

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Rio Bravo: Big fan of John Wayne movies, haven't seen this one

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10, The Pianist 8/10, The Virgin Suicides 5/10, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia 7/10, The Road Warrior 8/10, Winchester '73 8/10, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 7/10, The Passion of Joan of Arc 5/10, Hoffa 7/10, Out of Sight 9/10, Das Boot 10/10, The Motorcycle Diaries 8/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
bluefire, watch Rio Bravo.

It took me a while to get into Alphaville. At first I thought it was missing that Godard playfulness, but I eventually realized that it was just masquerading as ridiculous sci-fi talk and noir conventions. I loved the shot where they were rocking the light just to make interesting shadows on the wall. 4/5

Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.
Night of Cabiria
I haven't seen enough Felini.
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
I'm going to reserve a spot on my shameful list for the movie on the most lists at iCheckMovies. I don't really know anything about this one, I hadn't even heard of it until a few months ago, but its on 21 lists.
Gun Crazy
This got some love on Filmspotting. I haven't seen enough noir, besides the essentials.
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
This sounds very interesting.
Tokyo Story
Reserving a spot on this list for the highest TSPDT movie I haven't seen.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Hey there thread, it's been a while.

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Night of Cabiria
I haven't seen enough Felini.

I've wanted to see this one for a while, so I'm just going to live vicariously through you. Hope you like it.

Ikiru is an incredibly moving film. The scene in the dance club, when Watanabe sings Life Is Brief, had me in tears. The cinematography and composition were always masterful, and completely breathtaking at times. The shot after Watanabe falls at the construction site, when he is sitting in the sun drinking water, is incredibly beautiful. The film also took several turns I was not expecting. I liked how Watanabe's pursuit of the new park was shown in flashback, and was related through everyone's reaction to his behavior. The wake sequence was brilliant and it made the final scene in the Public Affairs office all the more depressing.

Also knocked off Bringing Up Baby. It was a fun romp, and really hilarious at times. I loved seeing Cary Grant as the bumbling professor, when he's usually so suave. Other than that, I knew how it was going to play out pretty much the moment it started, and Katherine Hepburn's character was incredibly annoying. I mean, I love Katherine Hepburn and I get that her chacter is supposed to be insufferable, but good lord. Overall it was fun, but nothing amazing.

New List:

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

To Be or Not to Be I can see why this got a less than warm response when it first came out.

Viridiana I don't know anything about this, but the story sounds very intriguing.

Amarcord I've heard less good things about this one compared to Fellini's other work, but he hasn't failed me so far.

Notorious I thought I'd seen this, but when I looked up the info nothing seemed familiar.

Pickpocket Some more Bresson for the list.

Stagecoach Another one I'm fairly sure I've seen most of, because my mom keeps the western channel on in the background at all times.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror, Sunrise, Fanny and Alexander, The Gold Rush, Nashville, Madame de.., Ikiru, Bringing Up Baby

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower, let's go with Au Hasard Balthazar, it's one I need to revisit myself.

I don't know how I feel about Yesterday Girl. On the one hand I really like the German New Wave feel and the lead performance. It's a bit of whimsy tinged with sadness, a struggle against a constricting society with great moments both visual and narrative. On the other hand the disjointedness got tiring for me, even at its brisk 85 minute runtime, and I found myself losing interest in the character. We see these things that happen, and Anita's clearly ill at ease conforming with society's norms, but there's little context and Anita's such a blank slate that it's hard to muster much in the way of feelings for her. I feel like I liked it and want to see more of Kluge, but they're not strong feelings.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray Criticker says I'll love this, it's French and it won the best Foreign Film Oscar.

El Sol del membrillo Curious about this, didn't even know it was a doc until just now.

Les misérables (1934) Four and a half hours, really?I've never read the book so I have little idea what to expect.

India Song I've read mixed things about this, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Not enough to watch it on my own however, which is where this thread comes in.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof I haven't seen many Elizabeth Taylor films, should give this one a go.

Dance, Girl, Dance I have no idea about this, but it's certainly something I should see. Dorothy Arzner was a pioneer and I know nothing about her.

Cleopatra Another Liz classic, would have already seen this but it's 4 hours long.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 1, 2011

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Cleopatra Another Liz classic, would have already seen this but it's 4 hours long.

Because I'm a sadist, ho ho! Actually, I have no idea if it's any good, would like to know.

Stagecoach. What I found amazing about this was how it spent so much time on character. It's not until 60+ mins before we see "action", though there's plenty going on before that. The final stagecoach scene was fabulous too. Really enjoyed. Claire Trevor was really impressive and interesting to see John Wayne before, well, he become JOHN WAYNE, THE ICON.

So my list becomes ...

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Days of Heaven The Malick I've yet to see.

L'avventura First Antonioni.

Sunrise I'd like to see more silent.

Casablanca ...

Man who shot liberty valance More westerns.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

knees of putty posted:

Casablanca ...

Enjoy...

Manhattan brought out the best Woody Allen I have seen yet. The dialogue was thoughtful, funny, and I appreciated the long takes that allowed a natural conservation to evolve. The black-and-white cinematography was really beautiful. I think of the planetarium, but the New York scenery in general was quite evocative. Considering Isaac's love interest in this movie is a 17 year-old girl, and the time it spends trying to get them back together in the end, I find it strange that Woody Allen dislikes this movie (although that part did seem the most forced).

Updated list:

Reds The most epic in scope of Warren Beatty; kind of sounds like an interesting biography, given his political views

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

The Host Not expecting greatness, this is just a kind of filler

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront, Fantastic Planet, Annie Hall, Barton Fink, The 400 Blows, La Grande Illusion, Gandhi, The Hill, Manhattan

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

A Guy Named Joe just didn't work for me. It's too hampered by wartime propaganda. It's like Only Angels Have Wings without the beautiful camerawork or purgatorial excellence. Ward Bond was a nice treat, though. He's a charmer, that one.

Noctaurus, you've had some pretty challenging ones lately, how about The Host? It's a lot of fun, and occasionally hilarious.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Nothing But A Man Pioneering black cinema starring Yaphett Kotto and with a Motown soundtrack? Why haven't I watched this yet?

Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

Comradeship I hope this is Pabst's BLUE RIBBON film!!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

New one: The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

The Winning of Barbara Worth The last great silent western. I really oughta see this.

Quiet City The lead man is just so ugly.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 1, 2011

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

EDIT: drat, penismightier beat me to it. Okay, dude, haven't seen any of the films on your list, but go watch Quiet City.

So, The General is pretty good slapstick/action, though the pro-confederate sympathies of it are hard to swallow. All the train action was thrilling and impressively filmed. The score on the version offered by Netflix was kind of overbearing, though. 8/10

Anyway, the new list:
2. Singin' in the Rain - I feel like I've seen half of it, but I can't recall how, when, or why. I love Gene Kelly, though, so I'm sure I'd love it.
4. Apocalypse Now - I saw half of it on vacation when I was 12, and then my parents came back to the hotel room, and changed the channel, deeming it inappropriate entertainment for children. :smith:
6. Reservoir Dogs - Again, a movie I own. I...uh, have a lot of movies I own that I have not seen yet.
7. The 39 Steps - I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, but somehow this is one of my few blindspots.
8. Eraserhead - I've loved the two David Lynch films I've seen (Mulholland Dr. and The Elephant Man), and it seems like this is essential Lynch.
11. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Heard a lot of good things about this, but it just never appeared on my radar until now. Plus, I'm making a serious attempt at the They Shoot Pictures list now.
12. Battleship Potemkin - Apparently a must-see for anyone that appreciates film. I know absolutely nothing about it except for it's Russian, silent, and apparently hugely influential.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (9.5) , Unforgiven (8.5/10), Pulp Fiction(7.75/10), This is Spinal Tap(7/10), 8 1/2 (8/10), Tokyo Story (9/10), The General (8/10)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

penismightier posted:

Finished from this thread:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Might be time for you guys to break out the [sub]s on those.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Might be time for you guys to break out the [sub]s on those.

I've been secretly trying to figure out how to do that for like, weeks...

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Spatula City posted:

I still find it the best of Tarantino.

La Grand Illusion was quite the amazing movie. The movie on the back of the tin sounds like a "The Great Escape" kind of movie, but boy it's something completely different.

The characters are all so well fleshed, they all have their hidden depths and subtle nuances, and come across as very human and real.
And yet manages to be extremely cynical and cold towards the overarching theme of the movie, that War it's pointless(I guess that's where the title comes in). When Elsa is talking about how her brothers died in all the big Germany victories, and then later Maréchal and Rosenthal are talking about going back to the front line to make a difference is quite depressing and heartbreaking.
I think my favorite moment is when the French officers are discussing why the want to escape, and none of them really says "To go back fighting", they all have their difference views of why, two of them even say "Just for the hell of it". I think this scene and the one with Elsa really sum up what Renoir is trying to get across.

I guess La Grand Illusion could be viewed as maybe way to idealistic over how PoW's were treated, and how these different social classes acted to each other. I'm no historian or actually know much about WW1 besides the basics(There was a war, the Germans lost it, the Russians got the red fever and everything that happened in 1930/1940 it's cause how badly this war was conducted) so I don't know anything about how "nice" the German Prison War Camps were, but I think the movie's strengths and how the theme is laid on the movie, are more than enough to overcome any historical accuracy, if there is one.

Liked it very much, maybe the best movie I watched so far in this thread.

My shame list:

Tokyo Story Not really sure what it's about, but from the description it sounds very depressing.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...and it's been in this list for so long. :zombie:

Dial M for Murder And now in 3D!

Bicycle Thieves Never finished watching this one, should watch the rest of it but I'm lazy. Way to lazy.

Singin' in the Rain Time for something lighter.

Infernal Affairs Now that I have seen The Departed, got to watch the original.

Breathless Into La Nouvelle Vague we go!

La Dolce Vita 8 1/2 is one of my favorite movies, but I gave up watching this one the first time.

The Wild Bunch More Westerns!

Boogie Nights Another PT Anderson movie, involving the porn film industry apparently.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Bicycle Thieves Never finished watching this one, should watch the rest of it but I'm lazy. Way to lazy.

I can't stop hearing about this movie, so if you enjoy it, maybe you could recommend it for me?

I was hoping The Host would not be a disaster-monster movie in the style of Cloverfield, and I was pleasantly surprised. The monster actually received a fair amount of screen time throughout, appropriately vicious and serving as an allegorical stand-in for U.S./internationalist domination. The Korean people are very independent, I suppose, explaining why North Korea even endorsed the film (according to Wikipedia). Notions of self-sacrificial duty and strong family ties were present, as they are in many Asian movies. Towards the end, I thought some of these sentiments became too hamfisted, the plot definitely weakening...but overall it was an enjoyable flick.

Updated list:

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront, Fantastic Planet, Annie Hall, Barton Fink, The 400 Blows, La Grande Illusion, Gandhi, The Hill, Manhattan, The Host

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Noctaurus posted:

Back at you!

Though don't be like me and go into the movie thinking it's some kind of feel good movie, about a father and his son looking for their stolen bike and bonding together and all that stuff. Cause it's not about that at all! :cry:
But yeah, it's a really good movie, and a powerful one the movie will hit you in the soul quite hard and it deserves the praise it gets.

My shame list:

Tokyo Story Not really sure what it's about, but from the description it sounds very depressing.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...and it's been in this list for so long. :zombie:

Amelie Actually I think I have seen this movie, but have no memory of it.

La Dolce Vita 8 1/2 is one of my favorite movies, but I gave up watching this one the first time.

Boogie Nights Another PT Anderson movie, involving the porn film industry apparently.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 2, 2011

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Electronico6, I enjoyed Tokyo Story tremendously, and I hope you do too.

Whereas I'm not entirely sure why Pulp Fiction is so lauded, Reservoir Dogs justly deserves its place as a cultural icon and revered film. Critical to that is the decision not to actually show the heist, but only events before it, and the bloody aftermath. It's a seriously impressive film debut, though I will still think forever and always (unless a future film he makes tops it) that Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best. :colbert:
9/10

Anyway, the new list:
12. Battleship Potemkin - Apparently a must-see for anyone that appreciates film. I know absolutely nothing about it except for it's Russian, silent, and apparently hugely influential.
13. Paths of Glory - Because I just bought it, and if Ace in the Hole is anything to go by, Kirk Douglas is an ACTING GOD. So why the gently caress not?

Watched: The Seventh Seal (9.5) , Unforgiven (8.5/10), Pulp Fiction(7.75/10), This is Spinal Tap(7/10), 8 1/2 (8/10), Tokyo Story (9/10), The General (8/10), Reservoir Dogs (9/10)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Spatula City, Paths of Glory is great, go watch it.

Cleopatra is a magnificent production, but as a film it is merely good. There's certainly enough content for a four hour epic of political and romantic intrigue, but instead it chooses to focus on showing off the grand production values and dramatic line readings. It's nowhere near the disaster its reputation makes it out to be, perfectly serviceable entertainment, but I wish it had been more. Also, while Liz is certainly attractive, her beauty in this film doesn't live up to the reputation.

Updated list:

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray Criticker says I'll love this, it's French and it won the best Foreign Film Oscar.

El Sol del membrillo Curious about this, didn't even know it was a doc until just now.

Les misérables (1934) Four and a half hours, really?I've never read the book so I have little idea what to expect.

India Song I've read mixed things about this, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Not enough to watch it on my own however, which is where this thread comes in.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof I haven't seen many Elizabeth Taylor films, should give this one a go.

Dance, Girl, Dance I have no idea about this, but it's certainly something I should see. Dorothy Arzner was a pioneer and I know nothing about her.

Klute Neo-noir with Jane Fonda as a prostitute.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Spatula City posted:

I will still think forever and always (unless a future film he makes tops it) that Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best. :colbert:
9/10

You are not the only one who feels this way. Jackie Brown does not get the credit it deserves.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Go with this.

I know the shame game is going well when I'm seeing more and more peoples list of 10 movies and being able to say "cool, I've seen all of them."
I notice The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on a lot of lists. Just a reminder that it's now considered a de facto trilogy and I'd recommend anyone to start with the first two before jumping to the final one. Although some consider The Good, the Bad and the Ugly a prequel itself. What's the consensus?

I kept trying to get Trainspotting and got around to a lot of the others on my list before obtaining it. Trainspotting was pretty good. I liked the hallucination scenes (underwater toilet, rug vision etc.) The last 1/4 of the movie felt aimless and I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters getting ripped off.

Also watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I liked this a little more than I thought I would. It was well done but the subject matter and political dirtbag BS left a bad taste in my mouth (even if it has a requisite nice ending). For example, the Taylor newspaper guys literally run some kids off the road.

Two quotations I liked:

Look, when I came here, my eyes were big blue question marks.
Now they're big green dollar marks.
-Jean Arthur as Clarissa Saunders

Edward Albert: "I wouldn't trust you to lick a postage stamp."

Also watched The Wrestler - It makes monotonous activities interesting. Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei were both good and the latter sexy as well. Down on his luck wrestler/fighter/boxer stories are way overdone these days so the premise naturally seems contrived. The difference here (and what makes this worth seeing) is that a lot of it is shot like a documentary and it focuses on everyday minutiae rather than the typical scenes/story arcs that have become very tiresome. (Rocky X et al.)

Also watched It Happened One Night. Another Frank Capra movie that had some funny moments. I've seen a few Clark Gable movies recently and it's easy to see why some of his films did so well.

One thing that stuck out was Ellen Andrews leaving the altar at the end. Now I'd always heard The Graduate was groundbreakingly controversial in a few respects but now that aspect seems like oldhat when viewed that this was released many years prior.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Decided to start this up again, gonna start over since I'm too lazy to go back and find where I left off.

FYI if you wanted your old list http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311444&userid=133975

MonkeeKong posted:

I've been away for a long time and managed to lose my old list in the shuffle...

FYI if you wanted your old list http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311444&userid=152144

Whole bunch of new ones:

#129 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#146 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#149 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

#151 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

#155 The Gold Rush - Another famous Chaplin movie I've heard about. (added 3/5/11)

#157 The Grapes of Wrath - I remember reading a synopsis of the book in a class. Seems like the subject matter is still relevant today. 3/10/11

NEW #161 The Big Sleep - Another I've seen mentioned but know very little about it. 4/2/11

NEW #162 The Manchurian Candidate - Haven't seen this or the remake. I remember Ebert citing this a few times on TV. Something about political brainwashing. 4/2/11

NEW #165 Life of Brian - IIRC a friend told me that there is a funny dinner scene in this. 4/2/11

NEW #166 Finding Nemo - Saw a little of this on TV and it seemed to be decent. 4/2/11

SGRaaize posted:

10/10 = Perfect
I doubt I'l ever give that rating to any movie I see. My 9/10's are the equivalent of the general 10/10, but who knows, maybe someone has made a perfect movie I didn't know about.

Or maybe someone will make a perfect movie somewhere down the line.

FitFortDanga posted:

:rolleyes: alright then, what movies are 9/10 for you?

SGRaaize posted:

Nothing comes to mind right now...

:lol:

I'm extremely stingy with my 10s as well but not to the point that they only exist on a theoretical level. Does a 10/10 action film require the viewer to go into cardiac arrest?

FitFortDanga posted:

The Green Mile - What is it about Frank Darabont + Stephen King + prison that makes IMDb users go loving bananas? The Shawshank Redemption has inexplicably been #1 or #2 for as long as I can remember, and this even more mediocre offering currently sits at #83. Why? I guess it's an attraction to the comfortably predictable (did anyone not see the sponge thing coming?), the division of the world into "good men" and "bad men" (ooh that Percy is so rotten!), the reassuring presence of a gentle giant, non-threatening Magical Negro (his initials are "JC"? You don't say!).

I saw some of this on TV the other day and this review had me laughing.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

Zogo posted:

#157 The Grapes of Wrath - I remember reading a synopsis of the book in a class. Seems like the subject matter is still relevant today. 3/10/11

Had to watch this for extra credit in a history class a few years ago. It's worth it at least for the ending speech. Henry Fonda is really good.

The Deer Hunter: Wow. This movie took me an hour to fully get into. But when I think about it, the first hour is kind of like the first two acts of Our Town. It kind of sets up what these people are like, and what their life is like. It was a little boring, but important all the same. Once it got to the war though, oh my god. It got really good, and captured all my focus. It didn't end how I thought I would. I'm not sure what I was expecting to happen. I guess I thought Michael would get Nick to come home. I knew next to nothing about this movie going in, except for the Russian Roulette scene, and that it was back from when Christopher Walker was a serious actor. Really glad I watched it.

1. The Good The Bad and the Ugly My fiance keeps saying we should watch it, but I never really feel in the mood for it.

2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Been meaning to watch it, but haven't gotten around to it.

3. The Godfather See 2

4. Citizen Kane See 2

5. Lawrence of Arabia I missed my chance on big screen, sooo... see 2. :(

6. Taxi Driver See 2

7. Rosemary's Baby I've been getting more into older horror films, and I feel like I'd like it

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's My dad's been wanting me to watch this ever since I read the book in 2005.

9. The Deer Hunter The Bridge on the River Kwai I was trying to figure out something to fill this slot, and my dad mentioned it as his favorite war movie. It's hard for me to get into that genre, so I figure I just need to see more that I like.

10. The Graduate Didn't even know what this was until a year or so ago, and I was interested.

Watched so far: The Deer Hunter

Edit: Yaaaay Mr. Smith goes to Washington. Jimmy Stewart's performance in that is amazing.

I know this is a little odd, but can we put movies on here that we haven't seen since we were young and barely remember? I watched this "best of" special and realized that I'd seen quite a few of them, but didn't remember much of a bunch of them. Like, I haven't seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind since I was in elementary school. I remember next to nothing about it, and I'm thinking I should watch it again at some point. I'll probably just watch it without being told to, but the question still stands.

One last thing. I just watched Gone With the Wind for the third time last night. It's really long, but really good, if anyone's feeling unsure about watching it, or adding it to their list.

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 3, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

uberwekkness, I'm bound to give you Lawrence of Arabia.

I was duly impressed by Die freudlose Gasse, certainly a film that deserves to be mentioned more often amongst the great silent films. Pabst takes several stories, tied together by key locations on a small street, to show the wealth disparities in 1920s Vienna. The expressionistic visuals and incredibly eerie score set a mood of horror as we see scenes of desperate misery and unconcerned joyfulness. The social contrasts are everywhere, in the visuals, in the characters and in the way the stories interweave where one person's gain is achieved at another's loss. What makes this more than just another polemic are the magnificent performances and romantic subplots, which lend a humanity to all the characters that engaged me into all their stories. For a second I though Pabst had held back too much on the ending but it turns out that it too is a perfectly played game of contrasts.

Updated list:

The Pawnbroker This appears to have been a pretty big deal when it was released.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

I just finished Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, and I hate to say it, but I did not like the movie one bit. I had roughly the same opinion of it as I did Primer and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia... I respected the work the director put in the movie and the movie's historical value, but I just found it abjectly unpleasant to watch. The uneven, cloying, and repetitive sound, disorienting camera work, and constant jump-cuts, cutaways, and superimpositions made me physically sick as I was watching.

I also watched Beverly Hills Cop. Again, I hate to negative the place up, but I don't really think the movie's aged well at all. Eddie Murphy's talk-faster-than-everyone-else style of comedy doesn't really grab me like it used to. Aside from the catchy theme and the banana-tailpipe scene (which is way funnier than it should be), nothing in this movie really brought the laughs out of me.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song

Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Also, this is the only movie of my original ten still here.
Celine and Julie Go Boating: Blind buy. Three hours of French surrealism? Well, gently caress, I'll try anything once.
Chinatown: Bob McKee's book Story spoiled the poo poo out of it, but I still feel like I should watch it anyway.
Mishima: Pretty to look at, directed by the guy who wrote Taxi Driver, and insanely controversial in the country where it's set. Not a hard sell for me.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
A Night at the Opera: I liked Duck Soup but it didn't blow me away. I do feel like I should see more Marx Brothers films, though. Plus anything Queen named an album after already gets a few points anyway!
Night of the Living Dead: Well, now that it's free in 1080p on YouTube, I have no excuse whatsoever.
Strange Days: From the bits and pieces I caught on HBO when I was a teenager (I wasn't watching for the plot), I thought it was just some DTV schlock. Since then, I've heard it's a lot better than I gave it credit for. I do so love the cyberpunk.
Tampopo: Blind buy. "Japanese 'noodle Western' comedy" is easily weird enough to grab my interest.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
CloseFriend, watch A Night at the Opera

Rio Bravo was prototypical John Wayne. It was an entertaining western, with a decent gun battle at the end, though I felt it was nothing special. 7/10

My List:

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Shadows: Another one I see on a lot of lists that I have yet to watch

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10, The Pianist 8/10, The Virgin Suicides 5/10, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia 7/10, The Road Warrior 8/10, Winchester '73 8/10, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 7/10, The Passion of Joan of Arc 5/10, Hoffa 7/10, Out of Sight 9/10, Das Boot 10/10, The Motorcycle Diaries 8/10, Rio Bravo 7/10

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

bluefire579 posted:

You had might as well watch this one, so you can mock the Russell Brand remake that I assume is going to suck hard.

The Bicycle Thief is a simple story, effective at portraying the desperate poverty of a working man. The twist at the end that continues the cycle was quite sad.

One more from this list and I'll add some new ones:

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time; intriguing subject matter.

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront, Fantastic Planet, Annie Hall, Barton Fink, The 400 Blows, La Grande Illusion, Gandhi, The Hill, Manhattan, The Host, The Bicycle Thief

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noctaurus, can't go wrong with noir, so watch The Asphalt Jungle.

Oh my, I did not expect to love Cat on a Hot Tin Roof anywhere near this much. Fantastic writing makes up for a lot with me, and this has it in spades, delivered by some great actors. That's not to say the rest isn't great, from the cinematography to the sound design, but the dialogue and intricate pacing are absolutely the stars here. In between the sharp barbs there's just enough humanity to make you feel for the characters and sympathies pretty much flow at the whim of the script. A fantastic ride that reminds me just how enthralled I can get by actors sparring with each other.

Updated list:

The Pawnbroker This appears to have been a pretty big deal when it was released.

Spione Another Fritz Lang silent. Sounds pretty cool.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
Peaceful Anarchy, I haven't seen any of yours, but The Pawnbroker seems like the one I'd be most interested in, so have at it.

Just finished Arthur. It was a decent movie. There were funny parts, though I found it lacking overall for a comedy (with the exception of the wedding scene which had me cracking up), but the story was good and is definitely what held it up in my opinion. On a side note, I think Russell Brand is a horrible choice as a lead in the remake (ignoring the fact that a remake is a horrible idea). 7/10

My List:

The Crazies (1973): I didn't even realize the new one was a remake until I randomly found this one on Netflix, and George Romero is a master of his craft

Shadows: Another one I see on a lot of lists that I have yet to watch

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10, The Pianist 8/10, The Virgin Suicides 5/10, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia 7/10, The Road Warrior 8/10, Winchester '73 8/10, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 7/10, The Passion of Joan of Arc 5/10, Hoffa 7/10, Out of Sight 9/10, Das Boot 10/10, The Motorcycle Diaries 8/10, Rio Bravo 7/10, Arthur 7/10

Revolutionaut
Oct 27, 2005
The Pumpkin Ghost of Halloween Future

bluefire579 posted:

And likewise I haven't seen any of yours, but it's polite to accept recommendations from family friends!

2001- I’m just absolutely blown away. Absolutely gorgeous, and in spite of the slow pace, the movie knew exactly when it needed to give me something to hold on to. Even though I knew it was coming, the disconnection scene made me weirdly emotional. There’s obviously a ton to unpack here, and I’ll be coming back to this movie for a while, but I feel pretty comfortable saying it’s an instant favorite.

2. 2046- In the Mood for Love immediately became one of my all-time favorites after watching it, so I really should see this.

4. Blood Simple- I’ve seen most of the Coen brothers’ movies and I feel like I should fill in the gaps.

5. The Maltese Falcon- I don’t know anything about noir, but think it’s a genre I should like. This is just the first noir I thought of.

7. Gone with the Wind- Super classic.

8. Tokyo Story- I’ve finished college, so it’s too late for me to take Film 101. This is one of the movies a class would’ve covered, yeah?

9. Rashomon- More Japanese film. Loved Seven Samurai, underwhelmed by Ran (which I blame VHS for, everything was so fuzzy).

10. Breakfast at Tiffany’s- I asked a friend what movies I should’ve seen, and this is the first one she came up with. OK Anna!!!

11. Audition- Another friend has been bugging me to see this for a while. Aight.

12. Solaris (72)- I’ll keep going with classic sci-fi, then. I’m just a nerd at heart.

Did Done Watched: Casablanca 9/10, 2001: A Space Oddysey 10/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Revolutionaut posted:

Hope you enjoy it and then get around seeing the other two movies in the trilogy. One of them is just as good as Oldboy if not better.

Watching Tokyo Story after Bicycle Thieves wasn't the best of ideas. Why are you people chain picking extremely sad movies for me. :smithicide: Anyway, I did feel bored in the beginning of the movie and did notice the length of it, which is not the best of things, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, even if it is a couple of minutes to long. It felt very real, which I guess means that Ozu got the job done.

My shame list:

High and Low Sounds like a Kurosawa take on Hitchcock's type of movie really. Should be good.

:zombie: Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...and it's been in this list for so long.

Amelie Actually I think I have seen this movie...Or maybe not.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Electronico6, watch Breathless, it is SUPERCOOL.

Paths of Glory is....well...gently caress THE MILITARY. :smith:
It's surprisingly restrained compared to later Kubrick, but he probably didn't have as much control or the ability to command higher budgets then. Anyway, I have never wanted to reach through the screen and punch a character quite so much as I wanted to punch General Mireau. That absolute fucker never once admitted he could ever conceivably in the history of ever do even the slightest thing wrong. Kirk Douglas is the man, though, as righteous and wracked with fury in this as he was corrupt and frantic in Ace in the Hole. The movie could actually benefit by being a bit longer, it's kinda short for a movie of its kind. 8.5/10

Anyway, the new list:
14. Wild Strawberries - I've had some trepidation about Bergman, but that all went away when this very thread got me to watch The Seventh Seal. So this seems to be the consensus of next-most accessible.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (9.5) , Unforgiven (8.5/10), Pulp Fiction(7.75/10), This is Spinal Tap(7/10), 8 1/2 (8/10), Tokyo Story (9/10), The General (8/10), Reservoir Dogs (9/10), Paths of Glory

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
drat, Spatula City, hard choice--I love both Wild Strawberries and Sunrise, but I'll give you Sunrise, because I had the more immediate emotional reaction to it.

As to my own:

All Quiet on the Western Front: Been meaning to watch it for ages, part of me has considered reading the book first.

Dead Ringers: I'm slowly working my way through Cronenberg and really want to see this one--just haven't done so. In terms of sheer, gut-wrenching discomfort, The Fly is one of the most nauseatingly provocative movies I've ever seen, so I'm curious to see what else the crazy fucker has up his sleeve.

The Colossus of Rhodes: Not what you'd call a good movie, from what I've heard, but it's the only gap in my Leone viewing and I'd like to see it.

Fanny and Alexander: Been a while since I've watched any Bergman, I'd like to jump back on that train.

8 1/2: I've held off because I'd like to see as much of the stuff Fellini made beforehand, since as I understand it comes from a reflection upon his own life and work. As it is I've only watched La Strada and Notti di Cabiria, so I'm not sure if I should wait to see a few more or not.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: I've seen it and didn't think very much of it at the time, but this is because I was sixteen when it came out and my grandmother ended up going to the same showing that I did, so I went and sat with her. Because of this I only really remember hoping I would spontaneously burst into flames rather than have to keep watching Jim Carrey jerk off to a picture of a cat-woman with my grandma. I'd like to properly watch it one of these days.

Peeping Tom: I'm told it's a must-see for anyone into classic psychological horror films, and yet I have not seen it.

Seven Days in May: Love Kirk, March, and Frankenheimer. And yeah, me and Kirk Douglas are on a first name basis.

Gone with the Wind: It's loving long, apparently very cavalierly racist, and I've heard it doesn't hold up well these days, but its place in the canon is so secure that I feel like it's a big empty spot in my catalogue.

Eyes Without a Face: I have no excuse, it's on Instant on Netflix and I have no reason not to have watched it. I just haven't.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
PateraOctopus, its okay to watch 8 1/2 now.

Nights of Cabiria wasn't nearly as good as La Strada. I really liked the Cabiria character, and Giulietta Masina did a wonderful job portraying her, but the situations she was in just weren't very compelling (until the end). The final shot of Cabiria was stunning. 3.5/5

Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
I'm going to reserve a spot on my shameful list for the movie on the most lists at iCheckMovies. I don't really know anything about this one, I hadn't even heard of it until a few months ago, but its on 21 lists.
Gun Crazy
This got some love on Filmspotting. I haven't seen enough noir, besides the essentials.
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
This sounds very interesting.
Tokyo Story
Reserving a spot on this list for the highest TSPDT movie I haven't seen.
Before Sunrise
This gets a lot of praise, but I don't like Ethan Hawke at all.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TenSpades, enjoy Gun Crazy

Shane was a very likable movie. I don't think it was the best western I've seen, it I certainly enjoyed it well enough. There was nothing I didn't like about it except for the kid. God, that homely kid was annoying. It hit all the points that i expected it to and hit them well. The bar fight was my highlight for the movie. I loved how sloppy it was. You never see fights like that in films any more. easy to see why it's a classic because it's so well made.

1) The Birds- can't go wrong with Hitchcock and suspense
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) Pan's Labyrinth- wanted some newer stuff on here, don't know if I'll like this
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Wings of Desire- picked this up in the latest Criterion sale because it intrigued me
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) The Furies- I need some Anthony Mann on my resume before I watch The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Shane