Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Plenty of stainless steel isn't magnetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A magnet just tells you that it's not something like plated mild steel. Magnets don't stick at all to aluminum, and can stick fairly well to some stainless and essentially not at all to other types of stainless.

Basically, if it sticks a little bit with a strong magnet, that's the best you can hope for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Learn something new every day

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'll check them out with a magnet when I get home, but I'm pretty sure they're stainless. Thanks guys.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To settle the juice question, I went out and borrowed my mom's Black & Decker electric juicer, bought a glass juicer ($4 Tablecraft at TJ Maxx or Marshall's) and pulled my Oxo citrus press out of the drawer, and squeezed one orange each:

It looks like they all produce roughly the same amount of juice.

The Oxo will be relegated to lemons and limes only however, since the bowl is too small for half an orange, which then requires me to cut it into 8 pieces total and 8 squeezes per orange is ridiculous.

The electric juicer scrapes the gently caress out of the orange, but then loses a lot of volume because of how much pulp it filters. If you want your juice to be non-pulpy, this might be your tool of choice. Downside: cleanup is annoying because pulp doesn't want to come out of the filter.

I think I prefer the glass one (and would maybe like the metal one as well) because cleanup is stupid easy compared to the electric and I don't need to make more than one glass at a time. The glass one just doesn't have enough room for more than one orange's worth of juice at a time.

I'm still curious about the stainless steel juicer, since it seems to have a larger bowl than the glass one, and cleanup looks easier than the electric.

edit: I should add that the Tablecraft glass juicer that I got doesn't have as big of a bowl as the glass juicer that was posted here earlier. I think I'm going to return it and get a bigger glass one.

edit: VVVV other than the Oxo being annoyingly slow for oranges because of its small hopper (there are other orange-specific presses with bigger hoppers meant to fit oranges), it looks like juicers are roughly the same in performance and if already have one just stick with it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 28, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Now do vegetable peelers.

So basically there's no conclusion then, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country book and DVD sale, 40%-70% off:

https://m1.buysub.com/webapp/wcs/st...cekey=CE11035AA

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
My mom gave me an old green depression glass juicer it is the poo poo. It does everything.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm moving out in a month and as I'm sure you've already deduced I want new cookware because what I'm using is either abused too much by roommates, or is going with my roommates

I've been reading the thread, and most people recommend clad stainless cookware, and a Cuisinart set was mentioned. I also read that most people don't recommend buying sets of cookware because you get pieces you don't need. That being said I found this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=106828&RN=397&

two frying pans, a saute pan, two sauce pans, and a stock pot, with lids where necessary. It's stainless, with aluminum cores in the bottom.

I also have one of the 20% off BB&B coupons, so that set for $120 seems like a heck of a deal. All of those pieces look useful without buying anything too obtuse (okay so I'm not sure how much use the 8" frying pan will get)

Thoughts?

Korwen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 29, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Not an Anthem posted:

My mom gave me an old green depression glass juicer it is the poo poo. It does everything.

Back then, they built things to A) work & B) last. Somehow we have lost these skills.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chard posted:

Back then, they built things to A) work & B) last. Somehow we have lost these skills.

No, things just started being built down to a price instead of up to a quality.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Korwen posted:

I'm moving out in a month and as I'm sure you've already deduced I want new cookware because what I'm using is either abused too much by roommates, or is going with my roommates

I've been reading the thread, and most people recommend clad stainless cookware, and a Cuisinart set was mentioned. I also read that most people don't recommend buying sets of cookware because you get pieces you don't need. That being said I found this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=106828&RN=397&

two frying pans, a saute pan, two sauce pans, and a stock pot, with lids where necessary. It's stainless, with aluminum cores in the bottom.

I also have one of the 20% off BB&B coupons, so that set for $120 seems like a heck of a deal. All of those pieces look useful without buying anything too obtuse (okay so I'm not sure how much use the 8" frying pan will get)

Thoughts?
Looks like a good set. You can get it at Amazon for $116 and free shipping

If you want clad, for $150 you can get the 8 piece Tramontina clad set at WalMart.com
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

It's missing the saute pan that the Cuisinart has. If this is something you use, then go for the Cuisinart instead, I wouldn't consider disc bottoms vs clad to be a deal-breaker, you just need to stir to make sure food doesn't occasionally overheat where the disc bottom and the sides meet. Plus, the cuisinart set is $30 cheaper.

Also, an 8" skillet is good for personal quiches.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Steve Yun posted:

Looks like a good set. You can get it at Amazon for $116 and free shipping

If you want clad, for $150 you can get the 8 piece Tramontina clad set at WalMart.com
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

Here is a 10 piece Kenmore set for 129.99 from Kmart http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_00809581000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I've been using it for a a couple of years now and love it. Also it has glass lids which can be very handy.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
If you're looking for forged knives on a budget, I like my Caphalons. $30 for a forged full-tang 8-inch chef. Good heft, balance and holds and edge. I have a santoku I like as well. For paring knives, I don't think there's a real advantage for forged, so I like generic Victorinox stamped stuff.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I have that forschner victorinox stamped 8" chef knife, girl gits 'r done. Great steel on it. Have a freebie chinese cleaver stamped "yan can cook" (and I actually got it from yan himself) that I know nothing about, some 5$ paring knives, a really nice wusthoff serrated knife, an ancient breadknife, and a cheese knife (wtf) my sister gave me recently.

Honestly I use the F/V chef knife for everything from peeling on out. Paring is basically used for popping hard to get bones out of chickens.

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006
I want to buy a good roasting pan for chicken/turkey that I can also use on the stove top to reduce sauces. Amazon has a ton of them ranging from really cheap to obscenely expensive. What should I be looking for? Any recommendations?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ma i married a tuna posted:

If you're looking for forged knives on a budget, I like my Caphalons. $30 for a forged full-tang 8-inch chef. Good heft, balance and holds and edge. I have a santoku I like as well. For paring knives, I don't think there's a real advantage for forged, so I like generic Victorinox stamped stuff.

Cusinart makes a pretty decent 8 inch forged chef's knife for 20 bucks. I actually got mine for 10 dollars and have been using it for 5 years or so.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Adahn the nameless posted:

I want to buy a good roasting pan for chicken/turkey that I can also use on the stove top to reduce sauces. Amazon has a ton of them ranging from really cheap to obscenely expensive. What should I be looking for? Any recommendations?
With roasting pans, you could probably afford to go cheaper on, since they're a little awkward to move onto a burner (you'd have to either have it dead centre, or try to straddle it over two burners at once). I'd just go with a $15-20 full sized hotel pan and put a grate underneath it (the grates are sold seperately and go for about $7-10)

http://www.amazon.com/Steam-Table-Pan-Anti-Jamming-Stainless/dp/B003XUYIIY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1301787967&sr=8-12

I'd just hit it with whatever deglazing liquid you want right after the pan comes out of the oven, scrape it, then pour the sauce into a saucepan and go on from there. The one in that link is 22 guage stainless steel, and our catering dept at work had been known to use half hotel pans and take them directly to the burner. If you're not worried about presentation, they can definitely take a beating as long as you're not concerned about aesthetics.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The final word on juicers: get a $250 Omega masticating juicer. It looks like a giant motorized black dildo.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 3, 2011

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Steve Yun posted:

The final word on juicers: get a $250 Omega masticating juicer. It looks like a giant motorized black dildo.
The ultimate question: Buy a $250 juicer or an extra orange to get that extra 1/4 cup of juice?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

feelz good man posted:

The ultimate question: Buy a $250 juicer or an extra orange to get that extra 1/4 cup of juice?

I'm sure you can find other uses for a motorized black phallus to amortize the cost.

edit: It also juices carrots and spinach and all that other healthy garbage. It's actually pretty impressive because all the pulp it spits out is pretty dry.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 3, 2011

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
Recommend me a sharpening stone. I don't have fancy Japanese knives or anything, just Victorinox and a Messermeister. I'm really struggling to find anything in local (New Zealand) shops, or anything that wouldn't need to be shipped from overseas.

I'm looking at this from Australia. Would something like this combination stone be altogether terrible?

thefoozl fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 4, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

thefoozl posted:

I'm looking at this from Australia. Would something like this combination stone be altogether terrible?

That looks like a fine stone (:rimshot:). I'm using a Victorinox 1000/3000 stone, but 1000/6000 is probably just as good.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I received the Cuisinart 2 quart ice cream maker this weekend as a birthday gift. Amazon has it "on sale" on it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30BC-Indulgence-2-Quart-Automatic/dp/B0006ONQOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301916604&sr=8-2

I was going to do vanilla for my first batch, but the store was out of vanilla beans, so I did a chocolate frozen custard. It was by far the best ice cream/custard I'd ever had. Whether it was the recipe, the exact temperatures (brought to you by one of my earlier recommendations, the thermapen) during the cooking, or the machine, I don't really know.

What I do know, though is that this ice cream maker is a great appliance. It has a 2 quart bowl, instead of the usual one quart. It has a very wide mouth for pouring in your base and/or added mixed in stuff. The wide mouth is also nice, as you can dip a spoon in while the machine is running to test consistency.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Whiteycar posted:

Also kitchen aid has a sweet dutch oven set that go into deep discount mode every 2 or 3 months. I picked up the one below for 30 bucks. Looks just as good as the other ones plus you don't have to buy new knobs for the top they are already heat resistant up to something crazy like 600F.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...t.jsp?locale=en

For anyone who's interested, this will be on sale for $90 (55% off) from April 9-15.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Pyrex Read-From-Above measuring cups...

... suck complete rear end. I wish I'd read the Cook's Illustrated review on these before I bought them. I guess they got jealous of Oxo's read-from-above design, so they made one of their own. Guess what? The significantly thicker glass material means the measuring lines will tell you different things depending on whether you read them from the top or from the side. On top of that... it's horribly inaccurate from either direction, by about 10 loving PERCENT. I took a cup of water, poured it into several other measuring cups which all agreed, and then in this Pyrex cup it was WAY off. How the hell did this get through quality control

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bed Bath and Beyond sent me a clearance offer saying these bad boys were $5

I like stupid gadgets and pineapples so I decided to head to my local store and grab one.

Unfortunately all they had in store was a newer stainless one that was $20.

I didn't catch that they were different and the guy was able to figure out the difference but said they didn't pay him enough to give a poo poo and marked it down to $5.

I got it home and I have to say that it really does a great job and makes perfectly even rings or chunks with only a few extra cuts depending on what you want to do with it and it leaves a perfect cup if you want to serve drinks in the shell.

On the topic of juicers I picked up a 1940's vintage wear-ever aluminum juicer at a thrift store for $.50. I've juiced quite a few things with no effort, no straining and easy cleanup. The only things that are difficult are hard to juice items like pineapple husk and onions as they take a bit more pressure on the handle and the pineapple needed to be cut a few times to fit but I don't think you could even attempt them in most other juicers and I know it won't break as it's already lasted a few generations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I want that juicer so bad.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Kenning posted:

I want that juicer so bad.

They are on ebay all the time for $10-30 just make sure it has the strainer screen and hinge pin and try to eyeball the pictures and make sure the hinge pin and the handle look straight.

They also made larger ones that were up on a stand and drained right into a glass.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

The Pyrex Read-From-Above measuring cups...

... suck complete rear end. I wish I'd read the Cook's Illustrated review on these before I bought them. I guess they got jealous of Oxo's read-from-above design, so they made one of their own. Guess what? The significantly thicker glass material means the measuring lines will tell you different things depending on whether you read them from the top or from the side. On top of that... it's horribly inaccurate from either direction, by about 10 loving PERCENT. I took a cup of water, poured it into several other measuring cups which all agreed, and then in this Pyrex cup it was WAY off. How the hell did this get through quality control

The OXO one is inaccurate as gently caress too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks for that, I was actually considering the Oxo one as a replacement.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I think I really want a soda siphon, any recs?

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Magmate

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FOF65I

It's a great little magnetic knife holder. It comes with holes for screws opposite the side of the little face but it's also magnetic on two sides so you can use half on your fridge and the other on your knife. I have a small kitchen and this knife holder is coooool. Most of the colors are dumb and overpriced but the white and orange ones are a bit below $7.

Aaand the magnets stopped working. Their customer service was unreachable but Amazon nicely refunded my money completely. It's too bad, this is such a nice idea. If only the magnets were stronger.

horribleslob fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 1, 2011

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Are the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro cookware items worth getting over the Chef's Classic variety? I'm a newbie cook, so I'm not sure if I should get the cheaper ones first to start off with, or if the MCP ones are worth getting straight away.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Gilg posted:

Are the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro cookware items worth getting over the Chef's Classic variety? I'm a newbie cook, so I'm not sure if I should get the cheaper ones first to start off with, or if the MCP ones are worth getting straight away.
Are you a broke college student just starting out? If so, get the 7 piece Chef's Classic set. You'll probably only use the skillet and saucepans, but it's about the same price as getting them individually. This applies doubly if you don't really cook much -- the Chef's classic line are solid workhorses and will suit you just fine.

If cooking is a pleasure for you, then it's definitely worth investing in MultiClad Pro. They're slightly better made, heat faster and more evenly, and you don't have to worry about the disk bottom coming apart if they're heated and cooled too fast.

Either way, don't buy a large set, since half of the stuff is rarely used.

Er, but don't buy the Multiclad right now. The prices have gotten jacked up -- I saw the 7 piece set for around $150 on Amazon after Christmas instead of the $200 or so they're asking now. Or, find a good coupon.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Acetone posted:

Are you a broke college student just starting out? If so, get the 7 piece Chef's Classic set. You'll probably only use the skillet and saucepans, but it's about the same price as getting them individually. This applies doubly if you don't really cook much -- the Chef's classic line are solid workhorses and will suit you just fine.

If cooking is a pleasure for you, then it's definitely worth investing in MultiClad Pro. They're slightly better made, heat faster and more evenly, and you don't have to worry about the disk bottom coming apart if they're heated and cooled too fast.

Either way, don't buy a large set, since half of the stuff is rarely used.

Er, but don't buy the Multiclad right now. The prices have gotten jacked up -- I saw the 7 piece set for around $150 on Amazon after Christmas instead of the $200 or so they're asking now. Or, find a good coupon.
Thanks, I was deciding between the 7 piece versions of both. I swear the MultiClad Pro set was $150 or $160 just yesterday or the day before on Amazon, unfortunate that it is now $200. I'll probably get the Chef's Classic unless I can find somewhere that has the MultiClad Pro cheap. Thank you.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Any recommendations for a good deep fryer for ~$100?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Waring Pro

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I have this for big parties. Wing nights/Fish fries
http://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-2864-26-Quart-Battery-Operated/dp/B001CA1092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1303693726&sr=1-1

And I have this one for cooking for fewer people
http://www.amazon.com/Presto-05462-Digital-ProFry-Immersion-Element/dp/B000H91DF0/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1303693857&sr=1-5

The presto is currently $55 instead of $90 on amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
What can you guys tell me about deli meat slicers? I've seen cheap stuff from $50 up to several thousand dollars. Is there anything out there for home use that won't break the bank (or itself, for that matter)? Would I be better served by a good quality carving knife and some practice?

• Locked thread