Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Reformed Tomboy posted:

This is your first time on it, right? Yes, try to stick with it for 3 packs. In rare occasions it's absolutely killer, but you can try to convince your doc to write you another Rx. Don't quit so soon unless it's unlivable.

For example, I once was on a type where I had a full-heavy period for every day since starting the pack; after the first pack was done I got something else.

Thanks, I'm just being paranoid I think. I'm legitimately not used to having bad periods, as weird as that sounds, but today I was feeling nauseated and crampy so it was startling. I'm going to keep up with the other two packs, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't abnormal :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Hey guys! I am on Seasonale! I have questions (again).

It's known that some anti-biotics/anti-infectives/B12/etc can affect how effective birth control is.

What does this mean exactly? For instance, I was doing okay this second set of Seasonale. At the beginning of the month (second month of my second pack) I needed to go on cefuroxime for a sinus infection, and I have been bleeding non-stop since then.

I can't figure out if I was spotting before that because I was taking B12 around the same time as the Seasonale, or if it was because I always eat when I come home from work, and THEN I take the pill. I realize that food can change the way that estrogen is absorbed.

My concern is also that maybe my metabolism is way too fast to begin with. I eat what I want and can never gain weight. Perhaps the estrogen is being metabolized too fast? I am not sure. But I am concerned. I'm really hoping at the next appointment my gyno won't tell me to stay on Seasonale.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

rainbow kittens posted:

It's known that some anti-biotics/anti-infectives/B12/etc can affect how effective birth control is.

It depends on the birth control and on the antibiotic. Ask your pharmacist, Ask about the vitamins too. I wouldn't worry about the eating thing.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

rainbow kittens posted:

Hey guys! I am on Seasonale! I have questions (again).

What does this mean exactly? For instance, I was doing okay this second set of Seasonale. At the beginning of the month (second month of my second pack) I needed to go on cefuroxime for a sinus infection, and I have been bleeding non-stop since then.

I can't figure out if I was spotting before that because I was taking B12 around the same time as the Seasonale, or if it was because I always eat when I come home from work, and THEN I take the pill. I realize that food can change the way that estrogen is absorbed.

My concern is also that maybe my metabolism is way too fast to begin with. I eat what I want and can never gain weight. Perhaps the estrogen is being metabolized too fast? I am not sure. But I am concerned. I'm really hoping at the next appointment my gyno won't tell me to stay on Seasonale.

A few questions (Dal 3rd year pharmacy student):
- When did the bleeding start in relation to when you started the antibiotic? Have you had bleeding like this before?
- Did you get any vomiting or diarrhea from the cefuroxime?
- Are you taking any other medications?

Effect of food/metabolism on birth control pills:
Food doesn't affect the extent of absorption of estrogen or progestin, only how quickly they're absorbed. Given the long half-life of both estrogen and progestins, this doesn't affect their effectiveness. I also wouldn't worry about your metabolism affecting your birth control unless you have some form of liver disease, since what people generally refer to as "metabolism" and the "liver metabolism of drugs" are two separate things.

B12 interaction:
Where have you heard that vitamin B12 affects birth control levels?

Antibiotics and birth control:
The only antibiotics/antifungals that have been shown to decrease the effectiveness of birth control are rifampin and griseofulvin. The rest have been shown to not affect levels in small studies. With that said, diarrhea and vomiting sometimes caused by antibiotics can reduce absorption of your birth control, so it's always good to play it safe if either of those occurs.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I just got my prescription for Nuvaring today and I am incredibly excited to start using it. However, my doctor didn't say when to start and the information it comes with says to start on days 1-5 of your cycle. The only problem is, that's 3 weeks away for me! I don't want to wait that long (and neither does my partner). I haven't had much luck searching elsewhere, so I want to know if it's okay to start using the ring now and just use a backup like condoms for a week or if I really have to wait until my next cycle starts.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Lenswork posted:

I just got my prescription for Nuvaring today and I am incredibly excited to start using it. However, my doctor didn't say when to start and the information it comes with says to start on days 1-5 of your cycle. The only problem is, that's 3 weeks away for me! I don't want to wait that long (and neither does my partner). I haven't had much luck searching elsewhere, so I want to know if it's okay to start using the ring now and just use a backup like condoms for a week or if I really have to wait until my next cycle starts.

You can start it now and use backup for the first seven days.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I have a question about the 'morning after pill'. I had a quick look through the thread but couldn't find anything to help me.

Basically on Thursday night (actually about 4am Friday morning) I was having sex with my girlfriend and the condom broke (it was dark, I was super tired and didn't notice). No big deal we thought, we'll go to the pharmacy and get the morning after pill. Due to circumstance we didn't actually get it until about 4pm Saturday afternoon. I don't remember the name of the pill, but for UK goons it came with a purple and white booklet, and was only one pill.

When we got home we ended up having sex again basically straight away (so say 4:30), and I have the worst luck ever and the condom broke again (and again, I didn't notice -- I'm aware that this sounds really irresponsible of me but I honestly could not tell).

My girlfriend is going to go to the pharmacy on Monday, but when I looked through the leaflet, it says that taking the pill more than once in a menstrual cycle can make it less effective, so I have two questions:
a) Will the short period of time between taking the pill and having sex again decrease chances of conception, and
b) What is the effects of taking two morning after pills in a short period of time.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I don't know the answer to your questions, but if you're breaking condoms that often you should get bigger ones just fyi.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

EvilHawk posted:

a) Will the short period of time between taking the pill and having sex again decrease chances of conception, and
b) What is the effects of taking two morning after pills in a short period of time.
I don't think she needs to take EC more than once. Both instances of unprotected sex should be covered under her taking that first pill, since the second time occurred immediately after. Of course, that doesn't mean EC should be used that way - to cover future unprotected sex - but in this one case I think she's okay.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I don't know the answer to your questions, but if you're breaking condoms that often you should get bigger ones just fyi.
There are a lot of reasons the condom could be breaking and more likely than not they have nothing to do with size. Use lube!!! (That can't be emphasized enough!) Check the expiration date, store the condoms in a cool, dry place like a bedside table drawer (your wallet is like the absolute worst place for a condom). And lube, lube, lube. I agree that the condom should NOT be breaking that often and you should reevaluate how you're using them.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 3, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

EvilHawk posted:

My girlfriend is going to go to the pharmacy on Monday, but when I looked through the leaflet, it says that taking the pill more than once in a menstrual cycle can make it less effective, so I have two questions:

You should't need to take a second morning after pill if your incidents of unprotected sex were only a day apart. Your second condom broke within half an hour of her taking the pill, eh?

Morning after pills work by altering the menstrual cycle in the hopes of preventing an imminent ovulation. They're not 100% effective because the woman could have ovulated before taking the pill and the hormones in the pill won't do anything/much [it's under debate] to prevent fertilization. It decreases in effectiveness if taken a long time after sex because there is a higher chance the woman will be able to ovulate between sex and when the pill is taken.

I'm not sure how you think morning after pills work, but it seems like you're expecting it to kill the sperm or egg that are present; that's not what happens. A morning after pill prevents ovulation, and thus you should only need one for incidents that are only a day apart. Taking two would likely make her quite sick, too.

If her period acts weird in the next few weeks don't immediately panic - the high dose of hormones is almost guaranteed to mess with her menstrual cycle. She may be late or early, or it may be lighter or heavier than normal... but she should take a pregnancy test in the next few weeks just to be sure, if condoms are your only method of birth control.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Okay guys, thanks for the replies and clearing up the EC for me. I haven't had to use it before so this is all new to me. Hopefully she should be okay then, though her periods are always irregular (she varies between 25-35 days and occasionally misses them altogether) so I think I'll be panicking for a bit haha.

Also thanks to GenericOverusedName for boosting my ego, but we were using some slightly unusual/older condoms which I think might have been the problem.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Or you could need new ones, yeah. My ex had size issues and breaking problems, so that's what came to mind.

If she has irregular periods, maybe she should look into hormonal BC? I don't know the particulars of her situation, but it often helps with irregular or weird periods and it'll help keep you from panicking as much.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Yeah she's taken hormonal BC in the past, but she has some mental health issues that make it a no go. I've thrown out the older condoms so hopefully it won't happen again.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
WOW!!!

Why the gently caress did the price of the Nuvaring go up ridiculously at Walmart? I used to pay ~$36 with coupon, but it now costs me $60+ after the $15 off coupon. So it's like $75 without insurance/discounts now. This poo poo is insane.

I'm calling up Planned Parenthood tomorrow because I know I can probably get this through them for cheaper even if I have to pay for an exam, but I'm really hoping prices haven't gone up across the board... has anyone else experienced this?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

spatula posted:

WOW!!!

Why the gently caress did the price of the Nuvaring go up ridiculously at Walmart? I used to pay ~$36 with coupon, but it now costs me $60+ after the $15 off coupon. So it's like $75 without insurance/discounts now. This poo poo is insane.

I'm calling up Planned Parenthood tomorrow because I know I can probably get this through them for cheaper even if I have to pay for an exam, but I'm really hoping prices haven't gone up across the board... has anyone else experienced this?

AFAIK it's always been around that price everywhere else (CVS in my case), I guess Walmart decided to join the crowd. :( I got that same sticker shock when there was a mishap with my insurance about a year ago. Nuvaring needs a generic but it will never happen ugh. Hopefully PP can help you out though, good luck.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

AFAIK it's always been around that price everywhere else (CVS in my case), I guess Walmart decided to join the crowd. :( I got that same sticker shock when there was a mishap with my insurance about a year ago. Nuvaring needs a generic but it will never happen ugh. Hopefully PP can help you out though, good luck.

Yeah, I guess so. I called a lot of pharmacies before going to Walmart and most of them were around that price. I know my local PP did them for $30 last time I checked, but I'd have to pay $80 for an exam first -- definitely worth it now, though.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I have a "Dear god why won't I stop bleeding" situation, but I don't know why. I started taking LoestrinFe on the first day of my period (doctor told me to), but it seems like it's too soon to be affecting it. And the doctor said it should make my periods less long and painful anyways.

I usually bleed for 7 days, but I'm on day 9 of moderate bleeding now. :ohdear:

Petrichor!
May 10, 2010
This happens sometimes, don't worry :)

I had a similar problem on a different pill -- I think I bled for 10 or 11 days or something similar. If it doesn't stop by that point or gets heavier, definitely go see your doc, though.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GenericOverusedName posted:

I have a "Dear god why won't I stop bleeding" situation, but I don't know why. I started taking LoestrinFe on the first day of my period (doctor told me to), but it seems like it's too soon to be affecting it. And the doctor said it should make my periods less long and painful anyways.

I usually bleed for 7 days, but I'm on day 9 of moderate bleeding now. :ohdear:

Since you're at the very beginning of a new BC pill, things may be wonky for a while. Hopefully next period will be shorter. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I guess here is a better place to ask than anywhere else. I got a new multivitamin recently. Unlike my old one, this one has iron. I've heard conflicting things about women taking iron, is there anything inherently bad about taking it or anything I should be aware of in terms of women health issues?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

I guess here is a better place to ask than anywhere else. I got a new multivitamin recently. Unlike my old one, this one has iron. I've heard conflicting things about women taking iron, is there anything inherently bad about taking it or anything I should be aware of in terms of women health issues?

How much iron is in each multivitamin?

How's your diet for iron-containing foods?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I sure hope it gets better...

Most people get anemic before/during their periods, and taking iron may help. Don't pop a billion vitamins and overdose on it, but short of that I can't see it hurting anybody.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Welp, help me feel a little relaxed here goons.

Me and my GF had sex earlier today and she realized afterwards that she messed up her BC (took out her a ring a week early, she took it out this sunday it was supposed to be next sunday) and i came inside of her a bit (without a condom).

So to be safe she went and bought a plan-B onestep. Plan B works like 99.9% of the time, right goons?? :ohdear:

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Welp, help me feel a little relaxed here goons.

Me and my GF had sex earlier today and she realized afterwards that she messed up her BC (took out her a ring a week early, she took it out this sunday it was supposed to be next sunday) and i came inside of her a bit (without a condom).

So to be safe she went and bought a plan-B onestep. Plan B works like 99.9% of the time, right goons?? :ohdear:

It's great that you guys were quick and got the Plan B already. The quicker you take it after having unprotected sex, the more effective it is. If she takes it now (or has taken it already), it'll be about 95% effective.

Keep in mind that the Plan B will probably screw up the timing of her period, so don't be surprised if it's off by a few days. If she doesn't have a period within 2 weeks, get a pregnancy test.

The chances of her getting pregnant are very low, so try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done, I know).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

DRP Solved! posted:

It's great that you guys were quick and got the Plan B already. The quicker you take it after having unprotected sex, the more effective it is. If she takes it now (or has taken it already), it'll be about 95% effective.

Keep in mind that the Plan B will probably screw up the timing of her period, so don't be surprised if it's off by a few days. If she doesn't have a period within 2 weeks, get a pregnancy test.

The chances of her getting pregnant are very low, so try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done, I know).

Thanks! One more thing:

Should she pop a new ring i now or just leave it out? She was due to take it out next sunday (the 10th) but messed up and took it out 2 days ago. The PlanB website says:

"You should resume your regular method of contraception—or start one, if you don’t have a regular method - right away, since Plan B One-Step™ does not reliably protect against pregnancy beyond the day it is used."

Which i find a little confusing; she wants to just leave the ring out because she thinks she'll get her period tomorrowish since she usually gets it 3 days after she takes her ring out. Is she right or should she pop in another ring until the 10th and then take it out again?

Inle-rah
Oct 11, 2007

Sanity is not statistical.

Kerfuffle posted:

What have you heard bad about taking iron? The main issue many women have with iron is that it can be constipating or sometimes hard on the stomach if you take it without food. A lot of doctors think that most women should take iron supplements...some birth control pills contain iron in the placebo week. If you notice yourself having constipation issues, just take a stool softener.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks! One more thing:

Should she pop a new ring i now or just leave it out? She was due to take it out next sunday (the 10th) but messed up and took it out 2 days ago. The PlanB website says:

"You should resume your regular method of contraception—or start one, if you don’t have a regular method - right away, since Plan B One-Step™ does not reliably protect against pregnancy beyond the day it is used."

Which i find a little confusing; she wants to just leave the ring out because she thinks she'll get her period tomorrowish since she usually gets it 3 days after she takes her ring out. Is she right or should she pop in another ring until the 10th and then take it out again?

She's right - the ring came out during the first day of the 3rd week of use, if I'm understanding correctly. Put another ring in a week after the other one was removed, use condoms until the new ring has been in for 7 continuous days. Pretty sure Plan B will induce her period anyway.

This is in the packet that comes with the Nuvaring:
http://www.spfiles.com/pinuvaring.pdf

quote:

If NuvaRing® is out of the vagina for more than three continuous hours:

During Week 3: If NuvaRing® slips out of the vagina for more than three continuous hours during the 3rd week of the three-week use period, throw the ring away and choose one of the following two options.

1. Insert a new ring immediately. Inserting a new ring will start the next three-week use period. You may not experience a period from your previous cycle. However, breakthrough spotting or bleeding may occur.

2. Have your period and insert a new ring no later than seven days (7x24 hours) from the time the previous ring was removed or expelled. This option should only be chosen if the ring was used continuously for the preceding seven days.

In addition, a barrier method such as condoms or spermicides must be used until the ring has been used continuously for seven days.

You're doing #2 since you already have had the ring out for a couple days.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DRP Solved! posted:

How much iron is in each multivitamin?

How's your diet for iron-containing foods?

Vitamin says 18mg, and I wouldn't say too high. I think I get more iron from eating certain cereal and peanut butter than anything else.

Inle-rah posted:

What have you heard bad about taking iron? The main issue many women have with iron is that it can be constipating or sometimes hard on the stomach if you take it without food. A lot of doctors think that most women should take iron supplements...some birth control pills contain iron in the placebo week. If you notice yourself having constipation issues, just take a stool softener.

I think it's partly a leftover bad stigma and fear of iron poisoning I had as a kid (I was odd). Maybe I'm thinking of post-menopausal women too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Thank you for the help everyone! :)

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Vitamin says 18mg, and I wouldn't say too high. I think I get more iron from eating certain cereal and peanut butter than anything else.

That should be fine; that's the RDI for iron.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the iron issue is (1) if you're on a type of birth control that means you have infrequent/no periods, AND (2) you're supplementing with iron. Iron supplements for women assume that you're losing a lot of iron with a monthly period, and if that's not the case, you could potentially wind up adding too much.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Went in for my Implanon consultation today, I should be hearing back within the next 2 weeks about insurance/test results and hopefully can get it done during my next pill placebo week. I'm a little nervous about the random spontaneous bleeding that I have been warned against, but I am going to give it a go. Plus it's covered by insurance hopefully, which is much better than $30/month on the pill.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?
Thought I was having issues with my ParaGuard, so i went to the nurse practicioner at my doctor's office. She didn't find anything with it, thankfully. She did however give me two Nuva Ring samples to try out. She told me to insert the first one today (even though I'm ovulating) and to replace it 4 weeks from now with the other one. Yay, no periods for the next 2 months!

I'm a bit nervous about going back on hormonal BC because of the mood swings. Here's hoping they won't be too bad, otherwise it will be a long 8 weeks.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Anne Whateley posted:

I think the iron issue is (1) if you're on a type of birth control that means you have infrequent/no periods, AND (2) you're supplementing with iron. Iron supplements for women assume that you're losing a lot of iron with a monthly period, and if that's not the case, you could potentially wind up adding too much.

Also keep in mind pills affect you in weird ways. I had blood work done for an unrelated issue and was told I had abnormally high levels of iron, and to never take iron supplements without consulting a doctor first. She said it was most likely due to the bc pill I was on; no, they didn't have iron in the placebo pills.

I nearly died as a child from iron poisoning, so I don't gently caress around with iron. If you're worried about it, Kerfuffle, talk to your doctor about it or have your iron levels checked.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

ilysespieces posted:

Went in for my Implanon consultation today, I should be hearing back within the next 2 weeks about insurance/test results and hopefully can get it done during my next pill placebo week. I'm a little nervous about the random spontaneous bleeding that I have been warned against, but I am going to give it a go. Plus it's covered by insurance hopefully, which is much better than $30/month on the pill.

I love my Implanon so much! The irregular bleeding does suck but it's like the only thing that one can complain about and it's really more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

fork bomb posted:

I love my Implanon so much! The irregular bleeding does suck but it's like the only thing that one can complain about and it's really more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Thissssss. My emotions were way out of wack for 3 weeks or so and now im just a teeny bit more prone to crying. I loooove my Implanon!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I had my 3 month Mirena checkup yesterday and all is well. I had one thing that was almost like a normal period about 2-3 weeks after insertion, and since then it's been occasional dark spotting. Apparently since there is so little uterine lining due to the IUD & the hormones, it tends to dry out a lot before it even makes it out of the vag. My "periods" now are just "oh, I should put in a pantyliner/cup I guess maybe meh" instead of cramps and deluges. Yay!

tldr I :love: my Mirena

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
Okay, I had someone tell me today she conceived despite being on Depo, using a condom (that broke) and taking emergency contraception within a day. I know no form of birth control is 100%... but if the Depo was current (didn't wait too long between shots or something) and the Plan B was taken within a reasonable time period, how possible is that, really?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

lou reed posted:

Okay, I had someone tell me today she conceived despite being on Depo, using a condom (that broke) and taking emergency contraception within a day. I know no form of birth control is 100%... but if the Depo was current (didn't wait too long between shots or something) and the Plan B was taken within a reasonable time period, how possible is that, really?

extraordinarily low

Why would she use plan b if she was on depo though? Condoms with birth control I can understand people using if they're really paranoid or just have other reasons, but taking plan b while on an active birth control is kind of over the top. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
I don't know why she took Plan B... My first thought was that maybe everything wasn't taken properly/facts have been distorted over time, but then I figured, someone has to be that teeny tiny percentage, right? Then I wondered if the Plan B and Depo somehow managed to work against each other, but I don't know if that's possible... I don't do the hormone thing.

edit: Okay, if my math is right...

If a broken condom is 50% effective (I made that number up... halfway point between "typical use" and "no birth control,) Plan B has a 12% failure rate if taken in 24 hours and Depo has a failure rate of .3% with perfect use, there's still 1.8 in 1,000 chance of all three methods together not working... in a year's time. So I guess a one time shot would be even lower. I don't know.

lou reed fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 7, 2011

• Locked thread