Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

vanilla slimfast posted:

SAS stands for "Serial Attached SCSI" and basically yes it is an interconnect that has the bandwidth to support multiple SATA channels simultaneously

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI

The only practical use for SAS I could see in a home environment is if you wanted to have your drive enclosure with multiple drives separate from the server itself, you could then use SAS interconnects to still get full bandwidth to each drive (whereas something like eSata port multipliers have to share bandwidth across a single link)
I just noticed a lot more PCI-E controller cards having internal SAS ports than SATA ports. Which is good because apparently according to this cable an internal SAS port supports 4x SATA, meaning a card with 1x internal SAS (much more common than 4x internal SATA) would theoretically support 4x SATA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

jeeves posted:

I just noticed a lot more PCI-E controller cards having internal SAS ports than SATA ports. Which is good because apparently according to this cable an internal SAS port supports 4x SATA, meaning a card with 1x internal SAS (much more common than 4x internal SATA) would theoretically support 4x SATA?

Yep, you nailed it. I have this set up with a PERC5i at work. 8x 2GB sata drives hanging off it for my first disk backup stage.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
What's the current consensus on the best deal in NAS boxes? I'm looking for something for less than $600 in total (so hopefully it'd come with hard drives, or be fairly cheap without). I'd be using it for backing up old family photos, some documents, and 750mb slide scans, so something fairly reliable would be good.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 3, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

atomicthumbs posted:

What's the current consensus on the best deal in NAS boxes? I'm looking for something for less than $600 in total (so hopefully it'd come with hard drives, or be fairly cheap without). I'd be using it for backing up old family photos, some documents, and 750mb slide scans, so something fairly reliable would be good.

How much total storage are you looking for? Synology seems to be what everyone on here is going with for simple storage. They have a few different models depending on what you need. Take a look at the DS211j and the DS411j.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I picked up a PERC H700i and two SFF-8087 cables. The card doesn't seem to be able to see the 3 sata drives I have attached to it. All of Dell's documentation seems to indicate that the card can support SATA drives so I'm not understanding why it isn't working. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind. Dell locked the card to dell only devices. A firmware to fix the issue is forthcoming.

Quoting myself. The A02 firmware which has been out for a while unlocks the H700 to where it'll recognize non Dell devices. I've got some older SATA 1.5GBps and 3.0GBps drives I'm trying to get it to recognize but it just won't. Is this because the H700 only supports SAS/SATA 6.0 GBps? And isn't SATA supposed to be backwards compatible?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

vanilla slimfast posted:

SAS stands for "Serial Attached SCSI" and basically yes it is an interconnect that has the bandwidth to support multiple SATA channels simultaneously

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI

The only practical use for SAS I could see in a home environment is if you wanted to have your drive enclosure with multiple drives separate from the server itself, you could then use SAS interconnects to still get full bandwidth to each drive (whereas something like eSata port multipliers have to share bandwidth across a single link)

The most practical use for SAS in a home environment is a 2 port PCI-E SAS card, which will drive 8 SATA drives.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

FISHMANPET posted:

The most practical use for SAS in a home environment is a 2 port PCI-E SAS card, which will drive 8 SATA drives.

Even better

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, when I spent my evening researching PCI-E controller cards, there are WAY more SAS cards than straight SATA cards.

I was glad to find out that 1x SAS ports basically mean 4x SATA ports.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

I currently backup my home server to an external 2TB disk in a USB enclosure (JMicron). The backups are about to surpass 2TB though and I'm going to order a 3TB drive. Will I have any problems with the OS (Linux) seeing the 3TB disk through a USB enclosure?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

lilbean posted:

I currently backup my home server to an external 2TB disk in a USB enclosure (JMicron). The backups are about to surpass 2TB though and I'm going to order a 3TB drive. Will I have any problems with the OS (Linux) seeing the 3TB disk through a USB enclosure?

Research this based upon your specific OS, but it is definitely based on the OS of where it is linked to, and not on whether or not your enclosure is new.

Like WHS runs on Win2003 and thus will never see a drive above 2.1, regardless of whether or not it is in an external enclosure.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

jeeves posted:

Research this based upon your specific OS, but it is definitely based on the OS of where it is linked to, and not on whether or not your enclosure is new.

Like WHS runs on Win2003 and thus will never see a drive above 2.1, regardless of whether or not it is in an external enclosure.
The OS, a vanilla Debian Squeeze system, definitely recognizes 3TB disks as it is (my secondary drive is a Hitachi 3TB). I was just wondering if the low-end USB mass storage controller chipsets might have a problem with the bigger drives.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jeeves posted:

I was glad to find out that 1x SAS ports basically mean 4x SATA ports.
1x mini-SAS can usually be fanned out to 4 SATA. You're going to confuse a lot of people if you start saying 1x SAS = 4x SATA.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Massive differences but below are the key things:

1.2Ghz CPU vs 1.6Ghz dual-core CPU
no hardware encryption vs hardware encryption
128MB of DDR2 soldered to motherboard vs 1GB DDR2 stick that is upgradeable
no eSATA vs eSATA

The CPU and RAM make up the largest differences. I have a DS410j sitting next to me that choked when you tried to run extra services and it pegged out the RAM. Being non-upgradeable it kind of pointless for stuff beyond just streaming files. Torrent downloading, web servers, etc all choked the poor thing. The DS411+ I have at my house can take anything you can throw at it and begs for more. The CPU is also very slow. If you care about transfer speeds, photo compression, video streaming, etc there are also pretty large differences:

38MB/s write vs 103MB/s write
82MB/s read vs 107MB/s read

Time to convert photos on the onboard photo manager thing

DS411J: 259 seconds
DS411+: 48 seconds :xd:

Yea if you have any questions about the Synology stuff, I have a DS411+, DS410j, DS211, and DS411slim on hand.

You almost have me sold on the DS411...I take it this thing can do torrents, streaming, backups, etc with too much hacking? Would you say you are satisifed with the speed? Are there any other comparable Synology models that are perhaps faster? My current unit is a D-Link DNS 323, which was servicable in 2005, but is way too slow today. Basically, I am looking for a bulletproof, solid, and fast NAS that can do torrents and streaming without breaking a sweat.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

1x mini-SAS can usually be fanned out to 4 SATA. You're going to confuse a lot of people if you start saying 1x SAS = 4x SATA.

I'm glad you corrected me then, as I didn't know that there was such a thing as mini-SAS and SAS.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm going to be building a ZFS NAS box in a custom case. I'm undecided on OS still between ZFSGuru or one of the OpenSolaris based systems.

I've done a ton of reading, but I'm sure I've missed some sort of incompatibility or am doing something stupid still so I want to get some input before purchasing anything.

Here are the parts I'm looking at currently:

GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 MiniITX
i3-2100T 2.5GHz 35W
10x 2TB Seagate Green or Samsung F4 5400RPM 9 Drive Raid 6 + Hot Spare
2x4GB - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline
Intel SASUC8I to use for 8 sata ports
32GB Corsair SSD for the OS
128GB Crucial SSD for ZFS cache
Silverstone 450W PSU I need the smaller form factor for my case design
2x Areca mini-SAS => Sata Breakout Cables (Due to right angle bracket).

I like the extra cache on the Seagate drives, but am concerned about the 4k sector size. Is this something I should worry about? What else have I overlooked?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Bonobos posted:

You almost have me sold on the DS411...I take it this thing can do torrents, streaming, backups, etc with too much hacking? Would you say you are satisifed with the speed? Are there any other comparable Synology models that are perhaps faster? My current unit is a D-Link DNS 323, which was servicable in 2005, but is way too slow today. Basically, I am looking for a bulletproof, solid, and fast NAS that can do torrents and streaming without breaking a sweat.

Well its the DS411+, don't forget the plus ;)

It will do all that stuff and more with no hacking needing. Torrents are even nice and streamlined, finally adding https RSS feeds with DSM 3.1.

I am not sure you can get much faster without link-aggregation, so unless that is what you are looking for the DS411+ is top of the food chain on the Synology side for single-LAN connected NAS's.

I run four 2TB or 3TB drives in it on a regular basis (constantly flow of new HDDs to try out) and it constantly pegs my gigabit LAN connection when I ask it to. Software is second to none. I tried the Ubuntu route for a few years prior to my first Synology and I don't know if I can ever go back. Web interfaces that look pretty and have iPod/iPhone apps blow my old SSH-interface out of the water any day of the week. You can still do telnet/SSH if you want to, but the Synology DSM software is by far the best NAS software I have ever seen.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Well its the DS411+, don't forget the plus ;)

It will do all that stuff and more with no hacking needing. Torrents are even nice and streamlined, finally adding https RSS feeds with DSM 3.1.

I am not sure you can get much faster without link-aggregation, so unless that is what you are looking for the DS411+ is top of the food chain on the Synology side for single-LAN connected NAS's.

I run four 2TB or 3TB drives in it on a regular basis (constantly flow of new HDDs to try out) and it constantly pegs my gigabit LAN connection when I ask it to. Software is second to none. I tried the Ubuntu route for a few years prior to my first Synology and I don't know if I can ever go back. Web interfaces that look pretty and have iPod/iPhone apps blow my old SSH-interface out of the water any day of the week. You can still do telnet/SSH if you want to, but the Synology DSM software is by far the best NAS software I have ever seen.

Sounds like this is exactly what I am looking for. Would this be a better set up than say, a mac-mini with a a bunch of externals attached in terms of usability? It sounds like it should be, using internals and all.

Final question, what kind of fans does this have? 80mm or 120mm? how loud is the unit?

Finally, does it allow you to mix/match different size drives? I assume it lets me do basic nas stuff like jbod and raid, etc.?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Aredna posted:

I'm going to be building a ZFS NAS box in a custom case. I'm undecided on OS still between ZFSGuru or one of the OpenSolaris based systems.

I've done a ton of reading, but I'm sure I've missed some sort of incompatibility or am doing something stupid still so I want to get some input before purchasing anything.

Here are the parts I'm looking at currently:

GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 MiniITX
i3-2100T 2.5GHz 35W
10x 2TB Seagate Green or Samsung F4 5400RPM 9 Drive Raid 6 + Hot Spare
I like the extra cache on the Seagate drives, but am concerned about the 4k sector size. Is this something I should worry about? What else have I overlooked?
The asize=n setting is what you should be looking for when tuning the 4k sector size on any OS that supports ZFS on 4k sector sizes.

I have no idea why you've paying for the price premium of a miniITX motherboard and 10 hard drives + 2 SSDs when even a custom case in a mini ITX form factor will face the problems of cooling so many hard drives in a small space (unless you've got a spectacularly awesome design I guess). MicroATX will get you pretty similar power consumption and no mini ITX mark-ups to where it'll likely be not worth mini ITX even for a 24/7 on system. I'd just go with one of those Norco 4U cases if you need that much storage and swap out the fans if you're concerned about noise.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Bonobos posted:

Sounds like this is exactly what I am looking for. Would this be a better set up than say, a mac-mini with a a bunch of externals attached in terms of usability? It sounds like it should be, using internals and all.

Final question, what kind of fans does this have? 80mm or 120mm? how loud is the unit?

Finally, does it allow you to mix/match different size drives? I assume it lets me do basic nas stuff like jbod and raid, etc.?

Well with a mac-mini outside of hosting off the internet 2.5" drive directly, you will be limited in external storage speed to FW800. FW800 tops out around 66MB/s in the real-world for most stuff:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-Drive-SATA-vs-Firewire.html

The other issue is you won't have RAID unless you get something like this to connect to the firewire connection:

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-speed-q.cfm

All of the 4-bay Synology units have two 80MM fans on the back. They are very quiet and do a great job of cooling. The software also allows you to scale cooling abilities to fit different profiles (2.5 vs 3.5 drives, cool vs quiet, etc). I want to say drive noise is louder than fan noise.

You can mix and match drives no problem. Just know that optimal configurations are equal drives.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

necrobobsledder posted:

The asize=n setting is what you should be looking for when tuning the 4k sector size on any OS that supports ZFS on 4k sector sizes.

I have no idea why you've paying for the price premium of a miniITX motherboard and 10 hard drives + 2 SSDs when even a custom case in a mini ITX form factor will face the problems of cooling so many hard drives in a small space (unless you've got a spectacularly awesome design I guess). MicroATX will get you pretty similar power consumption and no mini ITX mark-ups to where it'll likely be not worth mini ITX even for a 24/7 on system. I'd just go with one of those Norco 4U cases if you need that much storage and swap out the fans if you're concerned about noise.

Thanks, I've definitely got of reading and learning to do on the software side.

I should have explained more about the case. I'm actually going to be building it myself in the shape of the Nebraska logo. I originally went with miniITX to make sure everything was as small as possible, but I think I can fit a microATX board in it now that the layout is getting close to complete so I'll revisit that tonight.

I was originally targeting 10TB of usable storage (6+2), but the shape of the case made it so that 10 drives fit just as easily as 8 drives.

I'm definitely concerned about cooling and I'll be posting the design on a few case modding forums for feedback prior to building it. I want to make sure my hardware list is finalized prior to posting it in case something comes up that will require some redesign of the layout.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Aredna posted:

I was originally targeting 10TB of usable storage (6+2), but the shape of the case made it so that 10 drives fit just as easily as 8 drives.

I'm definitely concerned about cooling and I'll be posting the design on a few case modding forums for feedback prior to building it. I want to make sure my hardware list is finalized prior to posting it in case something comes up that will require some redesign of the layout.

You could use a sata backplane system like this so all you have to worry about is mounting that instead of individual drives. This would also solve some power and cooling issues as it has it's own fan and a single power hook-up. Also if you need to swap drives or replace a dead one it's so much easier than having them internal mounted.

I got one a few weeks ago and it is a huge improvement all round.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

HERAK posted:

You could use a sata backplane system like this so all you have to worry about is mounting that instead of individual drives. This would also solve some power and cooling issues as it has it's own fan and a single power hook-up. Also if you need to swap drives or replace a dead one it's so much easier than having them internal mounted.

I got one a few weeks ago and it is a huge improvement all round.

It says four 3.5" drives in three 5" drive bays. So do you use that as a free-standing little fake NAS, or do you have that mounted in a case taking up 3 drive bays? (Vertical or horizontal?)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bonobos posted:

I actually have a Mac mini with a bunch of drives as my main machine and server, and have been looking at NAS boxes for a while. The main thing I'd be worried about is compatibility, like the Mac subform on the Synology board has a thread about disappearing files or something, and a long ongoing thread about Time Machine. I can't tell whether the issues are common or not though.

The big advantage of going with a NAS is that the Mac is pretty limited as far as soft RAID setups, at least right now all it has built in is concatenation, mirroring, and striping (or combinations of them)...and doing that over FW800 is pretty slow since the bandwidth will shared among all the drives. As mentioned another option is a hardware RAID box, although I'm not sure which ones (other than the slow rear end Drobo) do the fancy multi size drive stuff.

I'll probably wait for a Sandy Bridge + Thunderbolt Mac mini and figure out my options then, hopefully there's some TB adapters or more boxes to choose from by then.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

jeeves posted:

It says four 3.5" drives in three 5" drive bays. So do you use that as a free-standing little fake NAS, or do you have that mounted in a case taking up 3 drive bays? (Vertical or horizontal?)

Mounted internally so I've got 5 drives in the space of 3 x 5.25" bays.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

HERAK posted:

Mounted internally so I've got 5 drives in the space of 3 x 5.25" bays.

Nice. That's actually pretty nice, since thin atx cases with like three to five 5.25" drive bays are much easier to come by than cases with huge hard drive cages.

Where do you buy those from, for future reference? That brand isn't finding search results on newegg.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

jeeves posted:

Nice. That's actually pretty nice, since thin atx cases with like three to five 5.25" drive bays are much easier to come by than cases with huge hard drive cages.

Where do you buy those from, for future reference? That brand isn't finding search results on newegg.

Amazon UK. There should be similar versions on Newegg, or there always is ebay.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I'm needing to build a new file server. My Acer EasyStore H340 and it's 4 bays just isn't enough to meet my storage needs anymore. Are there any good cases, preferably cube type and similar construction to the antec P180 series cases (quiet, etc), that I can buy and build my own file server with? Bonus points if I can get some sort of hot swap bays to put in it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I run a PC shop and we are ceasing sales of all Synology devices, effective immediately. We are seeing unrecoverable array crashes on multiple devices, clean out of the box. Our customers are down and we're losing tons of revenue and goodwill because our customers think we're too dumb to deploy a NAS. 5 out of the last 5 devices I have built have all experienced array failures WITHOUT any hard drive SMART errors less than three months out of the box. Two of them couldn't even build the array first time around.

For a home server, if you want to gently caress around with it and can deal with downtime, they have lots of cool toys. But, we can no longer recommend them for business / anything important.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's why I stopped using ReadyNAS devices but in the end this is why ZFS was invented, hopefully BTRFS can catch up. They all use relatively low end components and it's a complete bitch to get repairs done quickly and within the warranty period.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I run a PC shop and we are ceasing sales of all Synology devices, effective immediately. We are seeing unrecoverable array crashes on multiple devices, clean out of the box. Our customers are down and we're losing tons of revenue and goodwill because our customers think we're too dumb to deploy a NAS. 5 out of the last 5 devices I have built have all experienced array failures WITHOUT any hard drive SMART errors less than three months out of the box. Two of them couldn't even build the array first time around.

For a home server, if you want to gently caress around with it and can deal with downtime, they have lots of cool toys. But, we can no longer recommend them for business / anything important.

Thanks for letting us know. I was considering one of these for some important and semi-important stuff at home but I think I may just roll my own now.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Jonny 290 posted:

I bought a DS211 for use at work a few months back and we encountered this same set of problems. Support was very responsive but couldn't figure out what the problem was so we just sent it back and built a NAS in-house that has been rock-solid. Its a shame because the interface is so nice and most people dont seem to have problems. Conversely, we are an all Mac shop.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Welp...

Guess I'm glad I started spec'ing out my own then, heh. As others brought up earlier, finding a good case is difficult. I do like the look of this one though, and it's not too costly. 8 hot-swap bays, no PSU included (I've got spares I could use to start) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192058

Rest of the build is an atom 330 mobo w/ 4gb ram (hey it's cheap) and a 2gb CF card w/ adaptor for the OS

Anyone have any opinions on FreeNAS versus OpenFiler?

edit: also, I'm not that familiar with ZFS but see it mentioned a lot. Is it really the bees knees for large storage arrays?

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 7, 2011

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Don't spend $270 on a computer case. Ever.

Think of the additional storage you could buy with a $40 case and $230 bucks cash.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

Welp...

Guess I'm glad I started spec'ing out my own then, heh. As others brought up earlier, finding a good case is difficult. I do like the look of this one though, and it's not too costly. 8 hot-swap bays, no PSU included (I've got spares I could use to start) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192058

Rest of the build is an atom 330 mobo w/ 4gb ram (hey it's cheap) and a 2gb CF card w/ adaptor for the OS

Anyone have any opinions on FreeNAS versus OpenFiler?

edit: also, I'm not that familiar with ZFS but see it mentioned a lot. Is it really the bees knees for large storage arrays?
I plan on using ZFS but most of the recommendations I've seen say you should use a processor with a little horsepower, (like Pentium IV or above at minimum) especially if you are going with double-parity.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Don't spend $270 on a computer case. Ever.

Think of the additional storage you could buy with a $40 case and $230 bucks cash.

True...true. I do have two old standard cases sitting in storage from old machines that died. I suppose a 5.25 to 3.5 raid cage would be a much better use of money...

Dijkstra posted:

I plan on using ZFS but most of the recommendations I've seen say you should use a processor with a little horsepower, (like Pentium IV or above at minimum) especially if you are going with double-parity.

I would think a dual-core 1.8ghz atom would be beefy enough, no?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vanilla slimfast posted:

I think I recall someone talking about ZFS CPU requirements earlier in this thread, and it seems like the atom wouldn't be enough.

Hopefully someone who has more experience will chime in.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

True...true. I do have two old standard cases sitting in storage from old machines that died. I suppose a 5.25 to 3.5 raid cage would be a much better use of money...

I missed that it was dual-core, sorry. But I'm not sure, I've seen lots of forum posts in other places with people not recommending Atoms for ZFS at all but maybe someone here has tried it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am glad I held off on making my own Mini-ITX NAS (or buying a now-overpriced Mediasmart series to turn into a NAS), as I found this Proliant Microserver which seems to fit the bill quite well. It has 5 drive bays (if you count the CD bay as one), and even an internal USB port for running something like FreeNAS off of a USB key. Also 2x PCI-e ports (16x and 1x) seem to definitely make it quite a nice little machine.

Anyone have any experience with these as a NAS? It seems pretty nice. I just hope that 40mm fan on the PSU isn't loud as poo poo as the only real free space I have where I don't have to worry about housemates turning it on and off is my bedroom.

Also, people seem to say it that the eSATA port on the back doesn't have a port multiplier. What does that mean? Do eSATA multipliers let you chain various external things together in a daisy chain, and if you don't have a multiplier only one device can be attached at once-- or what?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 7, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jeeves posted:

Also, people seem to say it that the eSATA port on the back doesn't have a port multiplier. What does that mean? Do eSATA multipliers let you chain various external things together in a daisy chain, and if you don't have a multiplier only one device can be attached at once-- or what?

That's pretty much the gist of it. An eSATA with multiplier support can run a single eSATA cable to one of the 5-bay enclosures and run all drives in it on that cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

jeeves posted:

I am glad I held off on making my own Mini-ITX NAS (or buying a now-overpriced Mediasmart series to turn into a NAS), as I found this Proliant Microserver which seems to fit the bill quite well. It has 5 drive bays (if you count the CD bay as one), and even an internal USB port for running something like FreeNAS off of a USB key. Also 2x PCI-e ports (16x and 1x) seem to definitely make it quite a nice little machine.

Anyone have any experience with these as a NAS? It seems pretty nice. I just hope that 40mm fan on the PSU isn't loud as poo poo as the only real free space I have where I don't have to worry about housemates turning it on and off is my bedroom.

That looks pretty spiffy, not gonna lie. I have no experience with it, but had I known about it I would have considered it instead of my Chenbro pedastal-based server.

A SATA port multiplier just means that the single SATA channel can be used to connect multiple devices through one port, like some external enclosures with a JBOD mode, which just passes on control of all of the individual drives to the host computer. FakeRAID enclosures also need port multipliers, even though they represent one logical volume.