Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Isaac Asimov posted:

Just did the evo fixes, and I'm waiting for CM7 RC4 to get out of the CM7 boot animation... How long should I wait and what's the deal?

Try reflashing RC3 and then RC4. Had to do that cause the boot animation kept going for like 6 minutes straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

fishmech posted:

Try reflashing RC3 and then RC4. Had to do that cause the boot animation kept going for like 6 minutes straight.

Had the same thing happen on my incredible, I flashed 6.1 then rc4, worked fine.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I tried one of the trickle charge kernels mentioned earlier and holy gently caress my phone started acting up on me. Battery life seemed improved, but just random weird poo poo started happening. I ended up updating to CM7 RC4 and I think I'm just going to stick with that kernel for now...

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I put CM7 RC4 on my wife's Incredible and Deodexed Gingerbread rooted on my Droid X. Both phones are performing wayyyy better and I'm really jealous of her ability to run a proper ROM.

I read someone earlier talking about CM7 having a stock 800mhz kernal, is this true and/or something I should worry about on her Incredible?

Also, am I stuck with ads until someone puts something together for GB on the DX?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Invader Tim posted:

Also, am I stuck with ads until someone puts something together for GB on the DX?

try using AdFree (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree&feature=search_result)

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
They may have fixed the 4G reconnect bug in CM7 for the Evo. That's really the only lingering problem I've seen on RC4.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but can i install Cyanogenmod 7 RC4 over RC1 without wiping anything? Will it just update?

Will it be the same when the final release comes out?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but can i install Cyanogenmod 7 RC4 over RC1 without wiping anything? Will it just update?
When I flash over top of past installs I always wipe cache and dalvik but not data.

Pissflaps posted:

Yes, just cache and dalvik.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

helsabot posted:

I updated to MIUI 4.1 and there are 2 camera apps showing up now, one with a purplish background, and one thats just a whitish box with a lens. I did a full wipe (multiple times) before flashing this, any idea why this is happening? does anyone else have the same thing?

One is the miui camera and one is the stock camera. Same reason you have two galleries. Not a bug or anything.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Pissflaps posted:

Yes, you should be able to just install over. I update nightlies without ever wiping; so far no problem. You need to also reinstall gapps. Always be prepared for a full data wipe on any update though (nandroid if you care).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

900ftjesus posted:

They may have fixed the 4G reconnect bug in CM7 for the Evo. That's really the only lingering problem I've seen on RC4.
I'm on RC3, and in addition to that issue, whenever I turn on Airplane Mode via the Notification Power Widget, it turns off the phone radio and wifi, but it turns WiMax on.

Airplane Mode seems to work just fine when I turn it on via the menu though.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Anyone know where I can find the latest RUU for my sim free desire. This page:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667
Has some but the radio versions look really out of date. If I run an RUU with the same radio version I have already will that cause problems?

Edit never mind I was being an idiot found the latest radio version, but since its the same one I already have can I still do this?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I was having the painfully common GPS issue with CM7, so I did a nandroid backup, restored a backup of my previous ROM (Fresh), ran ##GPSCLRX#, and then restored the backup I took of CM7. GPS works now, but all my CM settings are back to defaults, I have no lockscreen, and my home button refuses to do anything, ever. :wtc:

Edit: wiping cache and dalvik and reinstalling CM7 over itself did absolutely nothing. What the gently caress is going on?

heat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 4, 2011

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Do you need a 3.0 clockwork recovery for cm7 on Motorola droid? I'm trying to update my friend's phone but I don't see any mention of needing a 3.0 like you do for the Vision/G2/DesireZ.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Nope, CM7 rc4 loaded on my OG droid with cwm 2.5.0.1 just fine.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Am I missing an option somewhere to disable 270 degree auto-orientation switching on CM7? I can only find the option to disable 180. It's not a major deal but it is a little annoying.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
God drat it I was so excited about mirroring only to figure out that wherever I got this janky hdmi cable from it is already defective.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Am I missing an option somewhere to disable 270 degree auto-orientation switching on CM7? I can only find the option to disable 180. It's not a major deal but it is a little annoying.

No, it was built into Froyo+ naturally, so it's no longer a setting to disable it.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Has there been any discussion about this: P3Droid's news about upcoming policy changes with US Carriers regarding rooting.

So the big US Carriers are apparently getting pissed about rooted phones, and mainly the ability to tether. I have a Xoom, and an OG Droid, both have Verizon plans. I pay 30/mo for unlimited on the droid, and 20/mo for 1gb on the Xoom. My Droid has already had to be its tether when I went over my 1gb in my first month. I know there's the argument that it's their business, and they're trying to protect themselves. But this seems quite ridiculous. Is Verizon not raking in money by the second from billions of text message fees, data plans noone comes close to using their max on, etc? Do they really need to piss off an entire segment of their users to make a few extra bucks? Is it not ridiculous that I have 3 devices on my Verizon plan, and 3 different data plans? Plus data at home with my ISP?

I dunno, they're gonna have to pry my rooted/gingerbreaded Droid from my dead fingers before I return it to stock, if everything P3Droid is saying in that post is true.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Binge posted:

Has there been any discussion about this: P3Droid's news about upcoming policy changes with US Carriers regarding rooting.

So the big US Carriers are apparently getting pissed about rooted phones, and mainly the ability to tether. I have a Xoom, and an OG Droid, both have Verizon plans. I pay 30/mo for unlimited on the droid, and 20/mo for 1gb on the Xoom. My Droid has already had to be its tether when I went over my 1gb in my first month. I know there's the argument that it's their business, and they're trying to protect themselves. But this seems quite ridiculous. Is Verizon not raking in money by the second from billions of text message fees, data plans noone comes close to using their max on, etc? Do they really need to piss off an entire segment of their users to make a few extra bucks? Is it not ridiculous that I have 3 devices on my Verizon plan, and 3 different data plans? Plus data at home with my ISP?

I dunno, they're gonna have to pry my rooted/gingerbreaded Droid from my dead fingers before I return it to stock, if everything P3Droid is saying in that post is true.

That is certainly a sad and unsettling read.

That said, the "hacking" community has always found a way to beat the people who unnecessarily lock down devices and turned absurdly greedy...I have no doubt that they'll do it again.

The part that hit home to me was the mention of the Nexus S, and how it's finally coming to Sprint. There is really no reason other than something like this for Sprint to offer a "new" handset that is essentially "last year's hardware".

I really hope I'm reading too much into this, but I guess time will tell.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
So I just got the HTC Hero, and I want to root it and flash CM7. Problem is, I've never ever done anything like this with a phone, and I'm looking for a recent tutorial to show me the way. I've been poking around the OP and online and a lot of the tutorials are many months old or loaded with excessive jargon. I'm definitely a tech-literate kind of guy, but when presented with instructions that are little more than "1. su 2. NANDroid 3. flash 4. look at you!!!" I'm left struggling.

EDIT: This looks like a decent guide; would someone look it over to make sure it isn't hopelessly out of date or anything like that?

gaan kak fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Binge posted:

So the big US Carriers are apparently getting pissed about rooted phones, and mainly the ability to tether.
These two things are only loosely related though.

PdaNet and EasyTether have been on the market for a long time, and allow a form of USB tethering that's sufficient for most people's purposes, no root required. Hell, as market apps, they work even on AT&T devices.

In the GSM world, there's plenty of phones with built-in tethering capabilities (Nexus series, non-carrier-branded phones, etc.) that also don't require root or a tethering plan. Hell, even some T-Mobile-branded phones support tethering out-of-the-box, although they were doing packet inspection a little while back (do they still?) and showing a paywall to folks who didn't subscribe to a tethering plan.

Even on Sprint, root technically isn't required to tether. As long as baseband settings are still user programmable, the clone/single NAI trick works with Sprint's built-in tethering features. This trick has been around since the Samsung A900 days at least.

So I don't really buy that tethering is the carriers' big concern with rooting, when they've made little-to-no effort to limit the non-root means to achieve the same.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

gaan kak posted:

So I just got the HTC Hero, and I want to root it and flash CM7. Problem is, I've never ever done anything like this with a phone, and I'm looking for a recent tutorial to show me the way. I've been poking around the OP and online and a lot of the tutorials are many months old or loaded with excessive jargon. I'm definitely a tech-literate kind of guy, but when presented with instructions that are little more than "1. su 2. NANDroid 3. flash 4. look at you!!!" I'm left struggling.

EDIT: This looks like a decent guide; would someone look it over to make sure it isn't hopelessly out of date or anything like that?

Try this http://theunlockr.com/category/howto/android_how_tos/htc-sprint-hero-how-tos/ and do the z4 root method. It was updated a little over a month ago. I don't have a Hero, but I have rooted the mytouch and the Mytouch 4G with the unlockr and never had any issues.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

The part that hit home to me was the mention of the Nexus S, and how it's finally coming to Sprint. There is really no reason other than something like this for Sprint to offer a "new" handset that is essentially "last year's hardware".

I am understand correctly that any phone that is labeled Nexus will never be un-rootable? Also as a Sprint customer it makes me wonder if there is any counter measures planned for the EVO 3D?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Ok so I've rolled my desire back to complete stock now, everything back to good hopefully, system processes are behaving and all looks good. The interesting thing is though after running the RUU it seems I have no stock recovery installed, Im not bothered since i've just rerooted it but why would that be? Anyway the plan now is to flash an a2sd script or use a market app. Can anyone recommend the best option for ext4 in terms of stability?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Binge posted:

When you get down to it, though, the carriers aren't exactly wrong or out of line in their stance. If you root your phone for the express purpose of utilizing services you aren't paying for, well...

Also, the ubiquity of information about rooting means that a lot of people who don't know what the gently caress are going out, bricking their phones, and returning them to the store for warranty service, which raises the cost for people who have legitimate warranty claims.

I don't really mind the idea of locked-down phones, assuming two things. One, that there's always an unlocked option available, and two, that there's always a pure 'Google Experience' phone available. If the OEMs can provide that, then I won't be too broken up that I can't root.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

serewit posted:

When you get down to it, though, the carriers aren't exactly wrong or out of line in their stance. If you root your phone for the express purpose of utilizing services you aren't paying for, well...

No, they are in the wrong. I'm using DATA. There's no difference to Sprint whether I open slashdot.org with Mobile Firefox/Android Browser or Firefox/Chrome/Safari on my laptop, so why should I pay more to be able to do the latter when my hardware and software are already capable of it? Hell, browsing on the full PC I'm likely to transfer LESS because I have a fully functional ad blocker rather than the half-rear end systems people have rigged up for phones. There's nothing I do on a tethered connection which I can't also do natively on the phone, it's just easier to do it on a big screen with a keyboard.

Tethering is a "service" the carriers made up to justify charging more.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
drat, flashed to a sense rom to do the GPS fix then restored....

It still has me several streets away everywhere I go. Argh.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

welp that went well, just USB bricked my phone, Pro tip No.1 guys never ever do anything I do, if I offer advice just do the opposite disaster follows me everywhere. Anyway its all fixed now but that was loving scary for a while.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
If you fixed it you didn't brick it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

wolrah posted:

No, they are in the wrong. I'm using DATA. There's no difference to Sprint whether I open slashdot.org with Mobile Firefox/Android Browser or Firefox/Chrome/Safari on my laptop, so why should I pay more to be able to do the latter when my hardware and software are already capable of it? Hell, browsing on the full PC I'm likely to transfer LESS because I have a fully functional ad blocker rather than the half-rear end systems people have rigged up for phones. There's nothing I do on a tethered connection which I can't also do natively on the phone, it's just easier to do it on a big screen with a keyboard.

Tethering is a "service" the carriers made up to justify charging more.

You signed a contract with the carrier to use the service on their terms, not yours. I agree, it's bullshit, but it's bullshit you agreed to when you activated a phone on their network.

Enough with that derail, though.

Is there an easy way to get GPS to work on the Inspire 4G/Desire HD under CM7 RC4? I've tried reinstalling from a full wipe several times, and it will never locate me in maps.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

serewit posted:

Is there an easy way to get GPS to work on the Inspire 4G/Desire HD under CM7 RC4? I've tried reinstalling from a full wipe several times, and it will never locate me in maps.

My Maps works fine on my Desire HD, CM7 RC4.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

serewit posted:

Check the forums? I had to do some wonky poo poo to get mine to work on an EVO.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/

Some people are reporting success after running this app and waiting till it finished:
GPS Status and Toolbox

Beware it will drain your battery like a mofo.

Scrubed fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 5, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

serewit posted:

Do you have a case on your Inspire?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

vinic posted:

If you fixed it you didn't brick it.

well I shat a brick so Im willing to bet its still a brick. I mean unless you apply the fix it is bricked. Afaik its near impossible to "properly" brick most phones anyway. But still my point is *Phew*

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Whenever I run a custom rom I seem to end up with two or more instances of android.process.acore* running. Most of the time all the stats for them are the same, occasionally some of them are different. I'm assuming this is not meant to be this way, is it something possibly hanging on from a previous rom that wasn't fully wiped somehow or is it just bad coding on the dev side? or more than likely is it just me?

During the brief period for which I was running stock this morning there was only one process running.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Solly posted:

well I shat a brick so Im willing to bet its still a brick. I mean unless you apply the fix it is bricked.

This is a bit like shutting down your phone and saying 'unless I turn my phone on it's bricked'. Bricking a device means killing it to the extent that it is permanently as useless as a brick to a normal person, which with a phone tends to mean wiping the bootloader somehow.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

serewit posted:

Nope. And I have a case on it, FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

feedmegin posted:

This is a bit like shutting down your phone and saying 'unless I turn my phone on it's bricked'. Bricking a device means killing it to the extent that it is permanently as useless as a brick to a normal person, which with a phone tends to mean wiping the bootloader somehow.

That or flashing a corrupt radio image. I'm guessing what happens when some doofus screws up the instructions in the youtube video that trained chimps could follow is they post a comment yelling at the guy who made the video for ruining their phone then take it to the phone store where some tech runs a RUU and blammo good as new.