Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
One of my cats has started kneading things, curling his paws up and down and circling around like he's trying to make a bedding, instead of just laying down. This is annoying since he does it on top of or near me at night. He didn't used to do this. His sister did, but she stopped awhile ago. What could be causing this behavior and how can I make him stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Flossie posted:

I recently joined a charity here in the UK that offers the elderly and infirm help taking care of their pets. A lot of the assistance is dog walking for elderly people who love their dogs but are no longer fit and able to walk them for themselves.

Tomorrow is my first dog walking assignment. I've been told I'll be taking Nala, a four year old staffie for a walk and that she hates other dogs.

I'd love some advice as I'm quite nervous. We never had dogs when growing up, and I've never owned one myself but I have experience of walking my brother's dogs (2 labradors in case it's relevant). Does anyone have any advice on walking dogs who are nervous of other dogs? And is there anything I should know about the staffie breed in particular? Thanks in advance.

Just to add what everyone else has said, try to get an idea from the owner of how much this dog hates other dogs. How close does the other dog have to be? Does Nala bark, lunge and growl or does she shy away? Will Nala eat with other dogs in sight? Bring treats with you as was said. Avoid walking near dogs and remember dogs are triggered by being confronted with things head on. You could cross the street and the dog could be fine until you come to that point where the dogs are directly across from one another and the dog could be freaked out by this. You can avoid these situations by walking in an arc to put some extra distance at the 'closest approach' mark. Dogs naturally walk in arcs when they are unsure of another dog.

The other thing I would add is, if you are in a situation where you can't walk away and Nala isn't taking food, that means she is over threshold. Do not step into her line of sight. You could get bitten (it's called redirecting). Try to just hold her still (tugging on the leash will increase anxiety so try to be like she's attached to a wall unless you absolutely need to move her) until the other dog is gone.

That probably sounds really bad, but I think it's better to be forewarned that it can happen than to just learn it the hard way. Hopefully the dog only dislikes other dogs and is manageable. I would think no one would ask a stranger to walk a truly dog aggressive dog, but...

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

moechae posted:

Question for me - I picked up jogging recently, and I've kinda started taking Ike with. My friends worry, though, that it might be too much of a strain on him? (One of my friends actually had a dog die due to heat stroke after taking the dog hiking with him, :( so he's extra paranoid about it, and from hearing his story, I am too now.) I'm worried, particularly since it's getting warmer out, about how much exercise is too much for Ike? He's a 4yo beagle, and I give him a 40min-1hr long walk every day (which is perfect for his energy levels so far), and he seemed fine with that last summer. I'd be taking him jogging for about 30min-40min instead of just the walk, and I'd probably do it in the early morning to avoid the heat (it gets 90-100F here in the summer, but the early morning will still be mid 80'sF usually). Should there be any reason for me to worry? Also, the route we tend to take is 25% grass, 75% cement, will jogging on that hurt his joints/paws at all? Should I try to find more vegetation, or is cement okay as long as he doesn't have any joint problems? Will he possibly develop joint problems in the future from it? Thanks. I'm a complete noob at jogging and doing any exercise with my dog beside walks and playing.

Zoso is turning 7 years old this month and loves going on long hikes, running, tearing around on a hot day. Beagles have the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, and by that I mean you can run with them for an hour or hike all day or whatever, and then they'll sleep on the couch for a few hours. Or they'll sleep on the couch all day because who gives a gently caress. Beagles sure don't.

It is probably easier for him to run on grass or dirt, but it's not the end of the world. Just keep an eye on his feet and if he gets any cuts or anything, lay off intensive exercise until it's healed. And I can't imagine any excessive joint problems unless your beagle's a fatty. If he's a fatty then start slow and build up - it'll be good for him.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Elijya posted:

One of my cats has started kneading things, curling his paws up and down and circling around like he's trying to make a bedding, instead of just laying down. This is annoying since he does it on top of or near me at night. He didn't used to do this. His sister did, but she stopped awhile ago. What could be causing this behavior and how can I make him stop?

He's happy. You use extra blankets, or I guess you could be mean to the cat. I strongly suggest the former.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I say cover yourself in catnip and fish oil and see where the night takes you.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Elijya posted:

What could be causing this behavior

He's a cat

quote:

and how can I make him stop?

He's a cat

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Levitate posted:

He's a cat

He's a cat

Yep. And as mentioned, he's ultra-happy. My manxes knead me to death when I come home from work and in the morning when they know it's time to get up. My lap is covered with little puncture marks. It would actually feel kinda good if they didn't have their claws out.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

RheaConfused posted:

I would caution against any kind of home clipping unless you are an experienced groomer. Cats have extremely thin skin and it is very easy to accidentally cut them when clipping.
Oh, I'm aware of that. I'm not planning on doing a full grooming job, here. We just want to trim the area about his butt so he has less dingle berries (not a fun thing to wake up to!).

Flossie
Nov 8, 2008
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions about dog walking. The advice made me feel much more prepared. I walked her this morning for the first time and she was a real darling. She was very good with the stay command and I gave her a treat each time she obediently responded to my stay command whilst we waited to cross the road. There were a few loose dogs around lounging on the pavement (sidewalk) outside their homes but we just crossed the road to avoid them and Nala didn't bark or pull on the leash to get to them.

She's overweight, either through overfeeding or lack of exercise. Hopefully it's the exercise so the dog walking will help her get healthier.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Yay!! That's so great she did so well on her walk! Really 75% of how a dog acts on leash due to their handler, and it sounds like you did a great job! I'm sure she'll love the hell out of you for taking her on walks.

Thanks for the advice Abbeh, I really appreciate it. Last vet check, the vet told me Ike was the perfect weight so that makes me not worry about the joint issue. I'll make sure we don't go out when it's TOO hot out and probably start carrying water for him as well.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Thor has a problem:

We noticed this on his ear about two weeks ago, and it was much smaller so we figured it was just a scab, but it seems to be getting bigger and is bloody and icky. Any home remedies or do we go to the vet? Is his ear beyond saving?

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 2, 2011

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

crime fighting hog posted:

go to the vet

seriously, why is this a question for so many people? If your ear looked like that, wouldn't YOU want to go to a doctor?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fatty Patty posted:

seriously, why is this a question for so many people? If your ear looked like that, wouldn't YOU want to go to a doctor?

gently caress no, I would never be able to afford going to a doctor!

But we'll take him to the vet tomorrow.

fembot
Jan 31, 2008

"She's a very sexy lady."

Your dog has a tiny skull on his ear.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

He would, the attention whore.

But really, does anyone recognize what it is? We're taking him in regardless, but I am curious. I could have sworn I've seen it on other dogs.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

But really, does anyone recognize what it is? We're taking him in regardless, but I am curious. I could have sworn I've seen it on other dogs.

looks like a skin infection (fungal) but IANAV. Could also be ear mites or chapped ears, but I've never seen chapped ears get that bad.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

My parents' Basset had something that looked very similar on the back of his neck. Black and crusty and bleedy and the vet said it was something akin to a wart.

fembot
Jan 31, 2008

"She's a very sexy lady."
Some googling suggests that it's most likely a fungal or a yeast infection. It could possibly be some sort of fly/bug bite that got infected. You said you noticed the scab a while ago, I'm guessing you didn't notice any bites? Has he been scratching at it?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
If it's getting bigger my money would be on some sort of growth, which would likely need to be removed if it's starting to bleed and get icky.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

fembot posted:

Some googling suggests that it's most likely a fungal or a yeast infection. It could possibly be some sort of fly/bug bite that got infected. You said you noticed the scab a while ago, I'm guessing you didn't notice any bites? Has he been scratching at it?

Not that I can tell, he carries on like normal, never seems to notice it. My money is on a growth or benign. Thanks so far everyone.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

ok so I just adopted a female dog today. Her and my male dog get along very well, but the dominance fights have started. No one is giving up so they just keep happening. In addition, my male dog won't stop trying to have sex with her. When he's in the mood, nothing will stop him except treats. This is NOT something I want to continue, so I'm guessing I should make him stop humping her, then give him a treat? I'm kind of lost here, I've never seen him act like this. If he doesn't stop trying to sex her up, we'll have to take her back :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Not that I can tell, he carries on like normal, never seems to notice it. My money is on a growth or benign. Thanks so far everyone.

Just because pictures can sometimes hide the 3-D aspects... as sure, if it is a definite bump coming off the ear, you've heard the various possibilities, which I could drone on about if you so desire. :science:

I dunno, there's just something itching at me (heh, I make funny) that makes me want to ask if, perhaps, this scab 'used' to be the tip of the ear. Thus, it's not necessarily a growth coming off the tip of the ear (which it did look like the tip was involved, growth from there or tip is involved itself), but the tip of the ear itself changing. If it is, in fact, the tip of the ear turning to look like that, there's a whole other list of possibilities it could be. :science: (Which still involves going to the vet)

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Just because pictures can sometimes hide the 3-D aspects... as sure, if it is a definite bump coming off the ear, you've heard the various possibilities, which I could drone on about if you so desire. :science:

I dunno, there's just something itching at me (heh, I make funny) that makes me want to ask if, perhaps, this scab 'used' to be the tip of the ear. Thus, it's not necessarily a growth coming off the tip of the ear (which it did look like the tip was involved, growth from there or tip is involved itself), but the tip of the ear itself changing. If it is, in fact, the tip of the ear turning to look like that, there's a whole other list of possibilities it could be. :science: (Which still involves going to the vet)

Yeah it's the tip of his ear, which is why I think it's some kind of growth. If you'd like to drone on, be my guest! As a bio major I can't get enough of weird biological anomalies :science:

E for clarification: I'm CFH's wife

Shiny Penny fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 4, 2011

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Fatty Patty posted:

ok so I just adopted a female dog today. Her and my male dog get along very well, but the dominance fights have started. No one is giving up so they just keep happening. In addition, my male dog won't stop trying to have sex with her. When he's in the mood, nothing will stop him except treats. This is NOT something I want to continue, so I'm guessing I should make him stop humping her, then give him a treat? I'm kind of lost here, I've never seen him act like this. If he doesn't stop trying to sex her up, we'll have to take her back :(

I think my foremost concern here is if they're both fixed/neutered (I assume your female would be, if she were adopted). If so, I think his humping of her is more a show of dominance than anything else. They may have been introduced waaaay too quickly. Try keeping them in separate parts of the house and let them see each other only under controlled circumstances where you can monitor their behavior towards one another. If he gets too rowdy, remove him from the situation.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
dumb question: I'm finally going to start seperating my cats while they eat so sully doesn't over eat (nermal does fine). How long should I keep them in their respective rooms while they eat?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Obligatory Toast posted:

I think my foremost concern here is if they're both fixed/neutered (I assume your female would be, if she were adopted). If so, I think his humping of her is more a show of dominance than anything else. They may have been introduced waaaay too quickly. Try keeping them in separate parts of the house and let them see each other only under controlled circumstances where you can monitor their behavior towards one another. If he gets too rowdy, remove him from the situation.

yep they are both fixed. I use the word "fights" but there isn't any growling or blood or anything. Mostly he is trying to establish his dominance in the house and she's not giving up. That's in addition to him wanting to get his freak on. It usually starts with him trying to do her for about an hour, she gets mad, they start rolling and biting at each other's necks (not hard, just trying to show dominance). I guess the dominance stuff will sort it self out, but I reallllly hate that hour or so where he just wants to get it on. For reference, he's been fixed since ~June of last year, she just got fixed in January.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I don't know if its relevant to dogs, but my Sully got fixed when he was an adult and you can't stop the humping. Fortunately (?) its my blankets/jackets/etc and not Nermal (my female cat), but there is nothing that will stop him.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fatty Patty posted:

Not if it were something I could fix with OTC medicine.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fatty Patty posted:

yep they are both fixed. I use the word "fights" but there isn't any growling or blood or anything. Mostly he is trying to establish his dominance in the house and she's not giving up. That's in addition to him wanting to get his freak on. It usually starts with him trying to do her for about an hour, she gets mad, they start rolling and biting at each other's necks (not hard, just trying to show dominance). I guess the dominance stuff will sort it self out, but I reallllly hate that hour or so where he just wants to get it on. For reference, he's been fixed since ~June of last year, she just got fixed in January.

Humping is usually a sign of over excitement and uncertainty more than dominance and I doubt its a sexual thing. He just needs to learn that that's not an appropriate way of interacting with his new friend. I would give him a warning when he starts up then if he continues he gets a "too bad" or "oops" then gets removed from the situation either put in a bathroom or in a down-stay or leashed to a piece of furniture or put in his crate for a while. After a minute or two he can try interacting again. The reward for not humping is just being able to continue interacting since that is clearly more rewarding than treats right now.

The neck biting sounds just like rough play, not like dominance either. It sounds like they both just need time. Its only been a day, eventually the novelty and excitement will wear off and it will get easier.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Anyone know about being allergic to cats? I have a weird case.

I'm 25 and own 2 cats of my own. A long haired rag doll mix, and a generic black cat with short hair. They have never gave me a problem. Well my girlfriend buys a cat from the humane society. Its a generic long hair cat, I do not know the breed exactly.

On our way home I am holding the cat and of course its freaking out. Well about 20 minutes in my eyes start to itch and my entire face itches. She looks at my face and tells me I am broke out in hives. I look in the mirror and my entire face is blotchy.

We get back to her place and I wash my face and it clears up. Fast forward 24 hours and the cats tried to sleep near us at her place and I have to move it because I break out again. So what I basically want to know is why am I fine near my cats and all previous cats, But her cat gives me trouble.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Anyone know about being allergic to cats? I have a weird case.

I'm 25 and own 2 cats of my own. A long haired rag doll mix, and a generic black cat with short hair. They have never gave me a problem. Well my girlfriend buys a cat from the humane society. Its a generic long hair cat, I do not know the breed exactly.

On our way home I am holding the cat and of course its freaking out. Well about 20 minutes in my eyes start to itch and my entire face itches. She looks at my face and tells me I am broke out in hives. I look in the mirror and my entire face is blotchy.

We get back to her place and I wash my face and it clears up. Fast forward 24 hours and the cats tried to sleep near us at her place and I have to move it because I break out again. So what I basically want to know is why am I fine near my cats and all previous cats, But her cat gives me trouble.

Allergies are kind of fluid in their effects. It's likely that you developed an allergy to cats, but since you live with your own cats you built up an immunity to their particular dander. If the new cat is presenting a serious risk to your health then I would take it back. :( Sniffles and watery eyes are one thing, but hives, especially around your face is a whole different problem.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

Allergies are kind of fluid in their effects. It's likely that you developed an allergy to cats, but since you live with your own cats you built up an immunity to their particular dander. If the new cat is presenting a serious risk to your health then I would take it back. :( Sniffles and watery eyes are one thing, but hives, especially around your face is a whole different problem.

The weird thing is my hands didn't break out. Since I don't live with her I wanna try giving him a hyper allergenic shampooing when hes healed from being fixed. And hope that helps

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
The best way to reduce allergens is getting the cat on a good food (see pet nutrition megathread) and give it regular brushings. The bath couldn't hurt to start though. Lots of vacuuming helps as well. I've seen people here recommend air filters as well. Keep some zyrtec around for bad reactions. Good luck, I hope it works out.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

The best way to reduce allergens is getting the cat on a good food (see pet nutrition megathread) and give it regular brushings. The bath couldn't hurt to start though. Lots of vacuuming helps as well. I've seen people here recommend air filters as well. Keep some zyrtec around for bad reactions. Good luck, I hope it works out.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try this and see how it goes.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Try to brush her outside if at all possible. Brushing sends all the crud floating in the air, you really don't want that to stay in your home.
I like this article: http://www.petfinder.com/your-pet-and-you/cat-allergies.html

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

2508084 posted:

dumb question: I'm finally going to start seperating my cats while they eat so sully doesn't over eat (nermal does fine). How long should I keep them in their respective rooms while they eat?

However long it takes Nermal to finish his/her food.

Alternatively, one of my cats eats too fast sometimes so I started feeding them both in a single, shallow bowl instead of in separate cat bowls. Now they both eat slower and over a longer period of time instead of just all at once.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I usually try to err on the side of caution and not make my own threads. So, here goes my somewhat long question...

After 2 years of dating, my girlfriend and I have moved in together (into my house). I have a dog. She has 2 cats. My girlfriend moved in about a month ago. The cats moved in this past Saturday evening. Not a problem for me... I grew up with both dogs and cats, and I love 'em both.

(<<< My dog, Clint)

Those are the boring facts. Here's the fun stuff...

Since the cats moved in, my dog has been pretty cool, albeit a bit hyper at first. One of the cats has been really great too. She's already using the litter box, eating, and just chillin' in her kitty tower for the most part.

The other cat is NOT being cool. She spent the first night in her carrier and would not come out. Then she moved to the top of my refrigerator, where she sat for hours facing the wall, probably in denial. She's slowly started to come around and has since moved to shelves and even made some more daring attempts at moving about the house.

However, the first night, Bad Kitty peed on my gym bag. Last night, she peed on my dog's bed about 5 minutes after we showed her the litter box for the 10th or 11th time. Targeted, tactical strikes, right?

This morning, my girlfriend suggested I move the cats to the garage with the litter and their food/water before I leave for work (she leaves a little bit before I do). "Oh, if you move Good Kitty into the garage, Bad Kitty will probably follow you right in!" she said. Yeah, that did not happen. Good Kitty went right in with a bit of protest. Bad Kitty immediately ran back into the house and then tried to take my drat arm off when I made a second attempt to move her.

Bad Kitty has now completely regressed, and was back on top of the fridge, facing the wall when I left for work this morning. She growls and hisses if I go anywhere near her. Anyway, I closed up everything I could and moved everything off of the ground as best I could.

My question is: What is the quickest way to get the cats adapted to the dog, new setting, and new litter box? Should I completely sequester the dog/cats until they're all comfortable? Violence is not really a concern. Is it just going to be a matter of patience?

My biggest fear is that Bad Kitty will piss on the carpet somewhere, and, by the time we get home from work, we'll have no idea where it is, and I'll end up with a house reeking of cat urine.

By the way, I should also mention I just bought this house in January (my first), and I really don't want it to go to poo poo immediately because of one maladjusted cat. :(

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 4, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Did you have a transition period at all? It sounds like you just dropped them in a new environment with another animal a million times bigger

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

2508084 posted:

Did you have a transition period at all? It sounds like you just dropped them in a new environment with another animal a million times bigger

The entire point of the post was to inquire as to possible transition options. Perhaps you might suggest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Yeah, usually when you're moving cats you want to start them off in one room. They can get used to that territory and feel safe in it, they can get used to the sounds and smells in the new place, and if they're freaking out and not using the litter box the mess is limited to one area. Then slow and limited introductions to the other animals. Probably you want to do this with at least the cat who's having trouble, maybe both.

Some of it's patience, too--some cats take a long time to settle in. And enzymatic cleaners on the places where the cat has gone to the bathroom, so it doesn't keep smelling like a cool place to pee.