Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yes, but once you get through the armor there is a second chance of an insta-kill on the JagerMech that isn't present with the Wolfhound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's just sad we missed out on epic Jagermech v Hellbringer action.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It know that this is supposed to be nearly impossible for our valiant Mechwarriors to win but its been very entertaining so far. So if the Wolfhound wants to be a Goon and troll the assault mech all the better. Either way its going to die so you might as well put on a show.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Clearly, the best course of action is to sneak around a building; enter the building with your 'Mech, then scale the inside of the building until you're 3-4 z-levels above B4. Then you just step out the side and fall on the guy. Death from Above!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Wolfhound should bid only his large laser. The rest of his armament is going to be fairly useless anyway because if he gets close enough to use it he's toast. Bidding away something you won't use won't cost anything, and the clanner may be dumb enough to take the bait and bid a single weapon as well.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Here's the game plan guys.

The Wolfhound is to charge B4 and smash his face in due to the level difference.

Either the Cyclops or Zeus pushs B3 off the map this turn.

The Banshee can go hide in 1121 until his target is close enough to charge at.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

The Wolfhound should bid only his large laser. The rest of his armament is going to be fairly useless anyway because if he gets close enough to use it he's toast. Bidding away something you won't use won't cost anything, and the clanner may be dumb enough to take the bait and bid a single weapon as well.

"I bid my large laser and this case of vodka against your mech and a case of vodka. Not using all your weapons is dishonorable."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

“Chapters 3-6”

We now leap forward to 3056, which, if I’m recalling this right, sets the book just after the main thrust of the Clan Wars ended. We are also on Salford, the planet Hamata blasted off from in the prologue, which has remained in Draconis Combine hands. Some guy named Reston Bannin is pissed that his highly perishable cargo hasn’t shown up on his JumpShip yet. When he finally gets clearance to move, he finds out that his ship has been commandeered to move military cargo instead.

The DropShip makes contact, Bannin fumes some more, then, when the ship attempts to leave the system, the same sorts of shocks and jolts hit the ship like what happened in the prologue. The navigation computer laughs in the captain’s face again, but this time there seems to be less damage, presumably due to being a smaller ship since BattleTech tech has mostly stagnated for a thousand years or something. However, the JumpShip is going stupidly fast somehow, so they all abandon ship anyway when they pass by the same planet the last ship evacuated to. Captain Bannin goes into a catatonic shock when he realizes just how much poo poo he has to put up with, but his navigator drags him into the lifeboat anyway. Surprisingly, no one dies with a long, gruesome description this time. Plot armor at its finest.

We now cut to the DropShip, where their pilot is having some troubles bleeding off speed and aiming for the reentry window.

quote:

Davud winced slightly as a companel screen to his right erupted in a shower of sparks, filling the flight deck with the acrid scent of burned insulation and ozone.
I guess they shop at the same exploding panel store as Starfleet. The soldiers down in the hangar section are also having trouble securing things, and at this point we get an inventory of the ‘mechs on board. While all the names mean nothing to me, I figure a few of you might be interested, so what they have are two Locusts, a Javelin, a Panther, and a Phoenix Hawk LAM.

quote:

An object in weightlessness was easy to move and control, but that didn’t mean the object had no mass, that it was like a balloon. It wasn’t. Just because an object was weightless did not deprive it of mass. Even when weightless, a five-hundred kilogram weapons pack still had a mass of five hundred kilograms.
Someone needs to get this guy either an editor or a thesaurus. Preferably both. The ship itself crashes relatively safely on the planet surface, albeit with no hope of repairing it for an exit. The lifeboat then comes crashing down, somehow following the DropShip into the same exact furrow and startling all the army boys who jumped out of hangar weapons-ready. The mercs wave a stick for a bit about orders and payment, but the army commander, Takuda, waves some guns around and that settles down. Takuda then moves to the ship commanders to ask where they are, but gets this as a response:

quote:

”I don’t know where we are, either. But wherever it is, one thing’s for sure—it’s forever.”
I think he’s referring to how the DropShip and JumpShip are unsalvageable, but that is some confusing syntax right there.

Next chapter, Takuda almost considers seppuku, mostly to show how Space Japanese he is, I guess, since there’s really no call for it at the moment. We then get an inventory list of officer and non-com names, but I suck at remembering those, so let’s move on.

After this, the merc leader, Vost, shows up to butt heads with Takuda on who’s going to lead the survivors. Vost makes a reasonable argument about how any chance of this being a military matter is done with, so the soldiers might as well disband and learn some survival tips from the mercenaries. Takuda, being a mid-ranked army officer from a particularly anal and hidebound military, is quite predictably having none of this. Plus his team is Spec Ops, so it’s not like they need survival tips.

At this point, Peter Rice apparently decides that he hasn’t made Vost a clear enough antagonist, so Vost starts going on about survival of the species, yadda yadda, let’s start handing out the women. Ever-righteous Takuda is having none of this, either. Then we leave the chapter with a rather weird cliffhanger:

quote:

Knyte reported that Horg and Holland, the two members of his section who had gone into the woods, had made contact with a large animal. Holland had taken a shot at it, but had missed. The animal had vanished into the woods, leaving almost no trail. But it had cried out at them as it fled. And the cry had sounded almost human.
Please don’t tell me that this is where we’re headed, book. I don’t think I could take the stupidity.

The next chapter begins with some experiments with eating local fruits. Takuda decides that the fruit they found that was partially eaten would be more likely to be non-poisonous, and while that might (might) help you out here on Earth, there are so many variables that non-Earth evolution tacks on that eating anything without thorough testing is basically suicidal. But of course, BattleTech isn’t the hardest science fiction setting in the world and this book has poo poo to do beyond simply surviving on the planet, so I’ll let it slide.

We now cut to Vost’s perspective, where we get another list of names, this time of the mercenary crew. In keeping with the BattleTech setting, the mercenaries all seem to have much more personality than the army officers, and each one gets a separate paragraph of description. We get Seagroves, the guy with brand name survival gear, Pesht, the friendly doormat, Brank, the schemer, and Goodall, the chick. Vost once again thinks lust lust woman pilot (?!?!) lust when he gets to her, just in case we had any thoughts about complex characterization. We then get more names, but they aren’t ‘mech pilots, so screw ‘em. Brank then shows up to scheme with Vost (about the women, naturally). Takuda gets wind that the mercs are thinking of using their ‘mechs to boss everyone else around, so puts a guard on the DropShip.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

quote:

An object in weightlessness was easy to move and control, but that didn’t mean the object had no mass, that it was like a balloon. It wasn’t. Just because an object was weightless did not deprive it of mass. Even when weightless, a five-hundred kilogram weapons pack still had a mass of five hundred kilograms.

I'm guessing the author is trying to describe momentum or inertia without really understanding it.

I applaud your dedication to reviewing Far Country. I can't even bring myself to read the whole sarna.net wiki page on it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Felime posted:

"I bid my large laser and this case of vodka against your mech and a case of vodka. Not using all your weapons is dishonorable."

Um either you missed the double negative in your post or you want the Wolfhound pilot to convince the Clan pilot to use all his weapons. That doesn't seem like a very effective ploy. Or you don't understand the concept of bidding as the Clans understand it.

edit: ooooooohhhhhhh

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2011

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Arglebargle III posted:

Um either you missed the double negative in your post or you want the Wolfhound pilot to convince the Clan pilot to use all his weapons. That doesn't seem like a very effective ploy. Or you don't understand the concept of bidding as the Clans understand it.

He's challenging the clanner to a drinking contest.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clearly, the best course of action is to sneak around a building; enter the building with your 'Mech, then scale the inside of the building until you're 3-4 z-levels above B4. Then you just step out the side and fall on the guy. Death from Above!

Not just fall on the other mech. The Wolfhound needs to execute a missile dropkick right to the Clanner's front windshield.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Notgothic posted:

He's challenging the clanner to a drinking contest.

When the clanner's not looking, switch his vodka for the IS equivalent of Everclear (not advisable to do in real life). When the clanner dies of alcohol poisoning, taunt the other clanners about their supposed genetic superiority.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

“Chapters 7-10”

We now cut to a three-man squad patrolling a swamp. The POV character, Holland, is thinking about how there’s a useless mercenary patrol as part of the rotation, useless since the mercs don’t shut up even while patrolling. Holland then sees a pair of glowing red eyes and fires at it, at which point the two eyes flee in opposite directions. She then sees a giant bird footprint which apparently belonged to one of the eyes. The patrol follows the tracks and discovers a concealed pit along its route.

They then locate the creature, and, being Spec Ops, sneak up behind it and make contact. So apparently the aliens are ostrich muppets with hands, or something fairly close to that. Also they can speak English, since the bird-thing cries, “Please shoot not.”

I have to say, as first contacts go, this is a mite underwhelming.

Now we get a more detailed description of the thing, and yeah, it’s basically an ostrich muppet with double pupils, one set front-facing and one set side-facing. At least it didn’t take the “Threshold” tack and have the past humans somehow speed-evolve into bird-things, which is what I was kind of worried about when it talked about “human-like” cries. Congratulations, Peter Rice, you have at least avoided being the worst thing ever.

Horg, the man making first contact, isn’t much for words, which works well enough when talking to someone who isn’t perfectly fluent. The muppet is named Dakodo, of the Tetatae, which is either a clan, tribe or species name. Also, it uses a non-English syntax where the verb is at the end of the sentence, so now I’m thinking it sounds like Yoda. Ostrich muppet Yoda.

You remember my spiel earlier about how in a human-only galaxy first contact is a Big loving Deal that Changes Everything? Yeah, I hope you don’t mind if I just hold my head in my palms for a while.

Alright, back to it. Horg is getting kind of angsty now, since talking with an alien has reminded him that he can never go home again, but that luckily only lasts three paragraphs. The three squad mates then question Dakodo for some time (although Peter Rice doesn’t bother describing them or Dakodo’s answers), until Knyte, the third member, decides that they need to bring the muppet back to cam—

quote:

Knyte wondered, just in passing, if the two species would be able to inter-breed. Impossible, he thought, the idea vanishing as quickly as it had come.
Peter Rice, you are officially back on thin ice. This had better be both the first and last time that ANYONE has this thought.

Right, time for the paraphrased conversation. Dakodo is some kind of elder in his tribe, and he learned English from the “others” who dropped from the sky five hundred years ago. The others were (and still are, go figure) aggressive against the muppets, and they’ve been expanding their territory lately in the nearby plains. This in spite of making a special point about how few women were in Hamata’s battalions, which would seem to indicate that not more than a few hundred could probably exist even five hundred years later under the best of circumstances. Well, whatever, humans are bastards, moving on.

Meanwhile, Knyte has somehow hypnotized himself with the Draconis Combine emblem, which he handed to Dakodo to confirm that the “others” were survivors of the prologue. Knyte insists that the muppet come with them to speak with their commander, and Dakodo agrees. Then they all laugh at the silly muppet. This confuses Dakodo, since the others apparently never laugh around muppets. Because muppets are SERIOS BISNESS. That or being space samurai.

On their way back, Dakodo politely points out a few human-safe fruits. They also pass the mercenary patrol, and the Spec Ops try to warn the muppets away from them. The muppets predictably don’t listen, and the mercs start firing randomly, managing to tag one. Somehow Dakodo also gets hit, in spite of the group being out of visual range of the mercs.

Finally, Knyte radios the mercenary patrol, telling them to cease fire. Brank responds that “they were comin’ right for us!” (paraphrased), and they continue firing wildly into the bushes, dragging away their kill. Knyte reminds Brank that they’re dealing with Spec Ops, so the mercs back off. Horg wants to kill them anyway, but Knyte reasons with him.

quote:

“They are mercenaries. They had no business shooting, but they just don’t know any better. They were only doing what they do naturally. You can’t really blame them for their actions. They are not thinking people when they are in the woods. They would do much better if they were in their machines. It’ll be all right, Horg.”
Is it me, or does Peter Rice just throw in everything he can think of when he can’t think of anything good? The next paragraph is similar, but I’ll spare you the quotation.

They treat Dakodo’s wound with pressure and bandages, avoiding the painkillers and coagulants since they don’t know what it would do to a muppet’s system. When they get back to camp, the mercenaries are making a ruckus over their corpse, allowing the patrol to quietly move to Takuda’s command post. Takuda praises them for making peaceful contact, and then they all go about treating the muppet. Nothing seems to work, but they pump Dakodo full of (human) stimulant which seems to work long enough for him to tell them to rub a purple fruit on its wound. Like most science fiction medicines, this works both dramatically and instantly.

Finally, Pesht (the doormat) wanders over from the mercenary camp to praise the taste of muppet flesh. Horg, understandably, decides that maybe killing them all isn’t such a bad idea after all.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

raverrn posted:

Edit: Also ShadowDragon holy poo poo we used to play D&D together like 6 years ago whatup?

Namuch. Left D&D behind for Exalted.

Arglebargle III posted:

Agreed. The Time is Now for half-baked heroics. Bid away everything but your Large Laser, see if you can humble him into doing something similar.

Also, if you can, find a Hardened building to take cover in. Entering the building will probably hurt your armor, but afterwards you've got the building's Construction Factor -35 (the weight of your 'mech, the point at which it collapses) as additional external armor. (Plus any armor the building itself may be wearing.)

PTN: Are any of these buildings Hardened, with or without Armor?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

First contact and horrible things

You know, aside from MW2's plot synopsis in the game shell, the only other encounter I ever had with Battletech plot was fanfiction... crossover fanfiction, even. Somehow, it still got the tone and concept better than this, simply by not having aliens, focusing on warring noble families, and having battles focusing on mechs duking it out. It did have a LAM, though, just like this. Please, keep this up - this could go so many directions...

Question to the thread: why all the hatred for LAMs? I've never really thought about them, as Megamek doesn't bother with them, nor do any of the games I've played. However, one of the main sources of artistic inspiration for Battletech (Macross) was full of mechs that turned into planes. Is the distaste people trying to distance Battletech from some of its inspirations? Knee jerk reactions against some author avatar who piloted a LAM and killed everything in the skies and on land himself? Dislike of rules that must've been absolutely awful to implement on tabletop?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Question to the thread: why all the hatred for LAMs? I've never really thought about them, as Megamek doesn't bother with them, nor do any of the games I've played. However, one of the main sources of artistic inspiration for Battletech (Macross) was full of mechs that turned into planes. Is the distaste people trying to distance Battletech from some of its inspirations? Knee jerk reactions against some author avatar who piloted a LAM and killed everything in the skies and on land himself? Dislike of rules that must've been absolutely awful to implement on tabletop?

There's the whole "ANIME" part and the attempts to distance Battletech from the inspirations, and the argument that LAMs don't have the feel of Battletech, which is about giant stompy robots, rather than hyper-agile doom machines.

And then there's the game balance issues, and the fact that LAMs are the most complex unit bar none to use. LAMs are extremely, extremely powerful. The Phoenix Hawk LAM released in TRO 3085, has a Battle Value of ~1942, which means that as an IS design whose sole advanced tech is the LAM system and DHS, it has the equivalent combat effectiveness to Clan omnimechs of equivalent weight using a bunch of high-tech equivalents.

This is because LAMs can book it. In the original iteration, LAMs had the ability to translate into AirMech mode, which let them triple their jump distances and jump with no heat penalty. Jump 15 is utterly amazing. In the new rules, LAMs in AirMech are somewhat more balanced, because they generate heat when moving (1 point of heat per 3 MP used), move as WiGEs (which are kind of like a cross between hovercraft and VTOLs, they're actually pretty cool), and are engaged as air targets for AAA weapons (like autocannons using Flak ammunition or the LB-X series). They also can't use a lot of advanced tech apparently, but we don't have full construction rules for them yet so nobody can say.

However, the Phoenix Hawk LAM moves at 15/23. Yes, that is correct, it is the fastest canon Battlemech in existence bar none, and it can keep this speed up all day. Nothing which can get close to its speed has anywhere near its durability (it's still a reasonably well armored 50 ton Medium Mech) or firepower (1 ER Large, 4 Medium Lasers) as well. This is why it has a Clantech-level BV. So basically, LAMs were extremely aggravating paperwork wise but really really devastating.

And that's created a huge backlash. If the modern Phoenix Hawk's 1942 BV is despite all these nerfs, imagine how powerful the original LAMs were, when you balanced for tonnage and when they were even more overpowered? That's going to cause a hell of a lot of hate.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 3, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Quoting myself, since this was already answered on this very page?

Or, in other words: You guys chose to bring a wolfhound.

Fair 'nuff, and mea maxima culpa on the reading comprehension failure. Oops.

Felime posted:

"I challenge you to a BattleMech thumb-wrestling contest. ...what's that? No hands on your 'Mech? Looks like you lose, bondsman."

(Hey, they chose to bring a handless 'Mech. Good for the goose...)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Counter-challenge him to a Trial of Possession for his mech, with the stipulation that the trial itself cannot result in damage to the mech being wagered.

That means he's pretty much going to have to pick a fist fight or piss away turns trying to acquire another mech. :smug:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

MJ12 posted:

There's the whole "ANIME" part and the attempts to distance Battletech from the inspirations, and the argument that LAMs don't have the feel of Battletech, which is about giant stompy robots, rather than hyper-agile doom machines.

And then there's the game balance issues, and the fact that LAMs are the most complex unit bar none to use. LAMs are extremely, extremely powerful. The Phoenix Hawk LAM released in TRO 3085, has a Battle Value of ~1942, which means that as an IS design whose sole advanced tech is the LAM system and DHS, it has the equivalent combat effectiveness to Clan omnimechs of equivalent weight using a bunch of high-tech equivalents.

This is because LAMs can book it. In the original iteration, LAMs had the ability to translate into AirMech mode, which let them triple their jump distances and jump with no heat penalty. Jump 15 is utterly amazing. In the new rules, LAMs in AirMech are somewhat more balanced, because they generate heat when moving (1 point of heat per 3 MP used), move as WiGEs (which are kind of like a cross between hovercraft and VTOLs, they're actually pretty cool), and are engaged as air targets for AAA weapons (like autocannons using Flak ammunition or the LB-X series). They also can't use a lot of advanced tech apparently, but we don't have full construction rules for them yet so nobody can say.

However, the Phoenix Hawk LAM moves at 15/23. Yes, that is correct, it is the fastest canon Battlemech in existence bar none, and it can keep this speed up all day. Nothing which can get close to its speed has anywhere near its durability (it's still a reasonably well armored 50 ton Medium Mech) or firepower (1 ER Large, 4 Medium Lasers) as well. This is why it has a Clantech-level BV. So basically, LAMs were extremely aggravating paperwork wise but really really devastating.

And that's created a huge backlash. If the modern Phoenix Hawk's 1942 BV is despite all these nerfs, imagine how powerful the original LAMs were, when you balanced for tonnage and when they were even more overpowered? That's going to cause a hell of a lot of hate.

I believe original AeroTech rules also had LAM's in AirMech or Aerofighter mode have the option of sinking twice as much heat per sink, or to do double damage with energy weapons while in atmosphere.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
challenge him to a riddle contest. Ask "What have I got in my pocket?" They don't have books in the clans.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To be fair to Gollum (and the clans) Bilbo was essentially cheating. That's not a riddle, let alone a fair riddle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair to Gollum (and the clans) Bilbo was essentially cheating. That's not a riddle, let alone a fair riddle.

Yeah, but all he had to say was "That's not a riddle, it doesn't count". Or even try to force a forfeit because the challenger didn't present an actual riddle. As long as you don't acknowledge it as a riddle, you're fine.

If you wanted to be a real dick, go with a koan instead. By nature, they're a riddle with no answer.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Oh, Wow, I'd heard about these mythical LAMs, but never bothered to look up what they were. That's dumb. Next thing we know battlemechs are going to start rocket-skidding and come up with plotlines about "EDGE" with vaguely creepy sexual undertones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Felime posted:

Oh, Wow, I'd heard about these mythical LAMs, but never bothered to look up what they were. That's dumb. Next thing we know battlemechs are going to start rocket-skidding and come up with plotlines about "EDGE" with vaguely creepy sexual undertones.

Keep all of that poo poo out of my BattleTech, thanks. Oh, and the loving bird muppet aliens too, keep them far away. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

PTN: Are any of these buildings Hardened, with or without Armor?

Yeah, just look for the 'hd' next to the elevation at the bottom of each hex.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

WarLocke posted:

Keep all of that poo poo out of my BattleTech, thanks. Oh, and the loving bird muppet aliens too, keep them far away. :colbert:

We'd rather not associate with you, either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

“Chapters 11-14”

It’s time to play the music, it’s time to light the lights, it’s time to meet the muppets on the Muppet Show tonight! We’ve switched perspectives yet again to watch the muppets meet and discuss the new humans that showed up. Seems there’s a vacancy on the elder council and all this hubbub is messing with their traditions. And I have to admit, Peter Rice does know a thing or two about ancient tribes, because his description of muppet culture reflects pretty well how things worked before agriculture. Too bad it’s in, you know, a BattleTech book about muppets.

It would seem that Dakodo didn’t leave the tribe’s presence with the proper ceremony, so now he’s out of the council and some new guy is inducted in by reciting all the previous office holders. Here, have another of what I’m now calling Riceisms:

quote:

They had no written language, so their culture and knowledge were passed down orally. This transmission[…]was a time-consuming process, but it meant the Tetatae did not enjoy the luxury of forgetting. When a society can write down its past, its people have the option of forgetting their own history. Once it is written, it is assumed to be saved. And if it is already saved, what reason is there for each member of the community to remember it?
Man, I love specialization. Don’t you? Or will we forget that since I wrote it down? This valuable insight is followed by a few more paragraphs of accurate-but-superfluous cultural descriptions before they finally get to the business of the humans. They describe again how the first wave of humans at first killed and ate them, then later oppressed them once they figured out that the muppets were intelligent. Some of them want to fight, but it’s a pretty alien concept to them (no strength in their floppy arms, no doubt). Eventually, though, they decide to move away and avoid the humans altogether. Wow, that was a well used chapter.

We return now to the new human camp, where everyone’s getting up after a watchful night. Dakodo wakes up and, at Horg’s insistence, starts into some long, rambling exposition. His tribe’s memory extends as far back as living in the nearby plains until the tribe split and entered the woods, where life turned out to be pretty good. Oh, right, it also turns out the muppets live 200 years on average, so they still remember the first wave of humans pretty well. The muppets thought at first that the humans were Quetzalcoatl “would lead the Tetatae to the dream land where food was always abundant and where harmony reigned among all things.” Instead, they started fighting, both each other and the muppets. Yadda yadda, humans are still bastards, borders and killing people for their stuff and enslaving the muppets for menial labor. And if it seems like I’ve repeated the same information three times now, it’s only because the book has done the same thing.

Dakodo winds down, and someone asks the obvious question of how the humans survived here for 500 years. Holland (the female Spec Ops) gives the obvious answer that they must have reproduced. Then Pesht (doormat) says, “We treat our women the way they deserve to be treated. ‘Mech pilots get their pick, and the others take what’s left.” You know, just in case you were thinking of feeling sorry for a mercenary. Takuda is busy thinking about whether the muppet is telling the truth, since in spite of the story taking up most of the day, he just can’t believe that Combine troops would fight each other. He also thinks about the intelligence-gathering advantage he could gain by befriending the muppets, since people chronically ignore servants.

Now we switch to Pesht (doormat), who’s going to talk about the new situation with Vost. Not one of the mercs seems to regret eating a sapient being, by the way. Vost decides to pump the muppet for info about the other humans, but Dakodo only met them once decades ago and can’t remember anything useful, except he does remember that they’re currently in three towns, each with rather elaborate defenses. Evidently Vost wants to go conquer them while he’s still got bullets and ‘mech fuel to spare. Seagroves (fancy poo poo), the LAM pilot, is also getting interested, his sole two character traits being a desire for money and flying. Vost is getting pissed at Seagroves, since the latter is basically blurting out Vost’s world domination scheme.

quote:

Seagroves stood open-mouthed. Vost had burst his bubble. His shoulders dropped, his lower lip hung down, his hands dropped to his sides. He was a pillar of despair. Standing there in the fading light, he looked like a man bearing the weight of the whole world on his shoulders. He turned from the group and slunk away.
He’s pinin’ for the fjords! He’s pushing up daisies! He kicked the bucket, bought the farm, and passed away!

What with not being the only humans around, Takuda realizes that neither his team nor the mercs actually need each other anymore, which means they might be at each others’ throats soon. Vost decides on his end that the mercenaries should hire themselves out to the towns, at least at first, until they get a full understanding of the towns’ defenses. Oh yeah, and then Dakodo leaves in the night.

In the next chapter, Takuda decides to send another of his teams to make contact with the humans. Vost shows up and tries to talk Takuda into sending a ‘mech, preferably the LAM, since those can go much faster than a three-man team. Takuda takes some convincing, but eventually agrees once Vost explains that they can turn off the LAM’s weapons (except the machine guns). Davud, the DropShip pilot, isn’t happy when he hears that the ship will need to be cut apart to get at the LAM, but he resigns to it once he hears that the thing is basically scrap anyway. After some repair work, they get the LAM up and running. Vost secretly tells Seagroves (fancy poo poo) to fly low and impress the natives, but to avoid actual contact. Seagroves blasts off and the chapter ends.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 4, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, just look for the 'hd' next to the elevation at the bottom of each hex.

Ahhhh, I see. I just thought that was was standing in for "Height".

What's the CF on the building whose center is roughly 0720, and what's the CF on the building occupying hex 0606, which I guess might be a dropship gantry?

Do either of them have Armor?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The default Construction Factor values are:
L = Light = CF 15
M = Medium = CF 40
H = Heavy = CF 90
HD = Hardened = CF 120

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

If you wanted to be a real dick, go with a koan instead. By nature, they're a riddle with no answer.

Koans have answers. If you are sufficiently advanced down the road to enlightenment.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Take this as you will:

PoptartsNinja's Heavy Metal Top 10
2) LP Executioner B - 3091
7) LP Executioner Prime - 2967
10) LP Executioner A - 2894

I saw this and thought, "ah, I bet I know what he did." Heavy Metal uses BV 1.0, I guess, but I came up with 3,732 BV for a Gladiator Prime in SSW, so I'll be interested to see the asskicking result.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fun fact, 7 of the 10 'Mechs with the lowest battle value (not counting 'base' omnis with no weapons) are Wasps.

Well, we already knew the Wasp's BV should be lower than "Grayson Carlyle with a machine gun on an unarmored jeep," so fair enough.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

goatface posted:

Koans have answers. If you are sufficiently advanced down the road to enlightenment.

I should have said no "rational" answers. The solution is understanding that there is no solution.

If nothing else, it might work as a logic bomb for their somewhat more streamlined and mechanical clan thought processes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

I should have said no "rational" answers. The solution is understanding that there is no solution.

If nothing else, it might work as a logic bomb for their somewhat more streamlined and mechanical clan thought processes.

Don't bother. They'll probably use a lame Futurama reference just shoot you for trying to make them look stupid.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Their current plan is trying to shoot us. The goal is to stall for time. Any time spent making them look stupid is less time they're actually shooting us. =P

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Zaodai posted:

The solution is that there are many solutions, including "no solutions," and a proper master will reject his or her students' first several responses because the true meaning of a koan is simply to make you think about it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yes, and a true koan is meaningless outside of the teachings of a zen master and his student, etc etc, I know.

It was a joke. Ha ha.

But of course, if the Clans have such advanced understandings of loving Buddhism, maybe they'll set themselves on fire in the middle of an intersection and render the problem moot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Yes, and a true koan is meaningless outside of the teachings of a zen master and his student, etc etc, I know.

It was a joke. Ha ha.

But of course, if the Clans have such advanced understandings of loving Buddhism, maybe they'll set themselves on fire in the middle of an intersection and render the problem moot.

"I bid my peace of mind."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

"I bid my peace of mind."

"Star Commander, I fear this barbarian may have gone mad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Zaodai posted:

It was a joke. Ha ha.

If I were PTN and someone tried the koan thing, I'd just spontaneously turn one of the Vipers into a Cloud Cobra bondsman and have him "conveniently" be a member of a Buddhist cloister.

• Locked thread