Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007
Getting Toy Story 3 and Final Fantasy 13 from Love Film tomorrow, any advice on either games? (I imagine Toy Story is fairly straight forward, but mainly looking for FF13 advice).

Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
I'm about to start Mass Effect and I don't feel like being forced to be either good or evil. Will there be any negative effects if I just cheat my way into having maximum paragon and renegade points and maximum dialogue skills?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

eyebrow posted:

I'm about to start Mass Effect and I don't feel like being forced to be either good or evil will there be any negative effects if I just cheat my way into having maximum paragon and renegade points and maximum dialogue skills?

No. There is no negative consequences whatsoever to maxing your dialog. Also, Renegade is not evil.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Haha sadly FF13 is likely much more straightforward than what Toy Story 3 will be.

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

Barudak posted:

No. There is no negative consequences whatsoever to maxing your dialog. Also, Renegade is not evil.

Yeah, I've played through a little before, I should have said been forced to be good or be an rear end in a top hat.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

eyebrow posted:

I'm about to start Mass Effect and I don't feel like being forced to be either good or evil. Will there be any negative effects if I just cheat my way into having maximum paragon and renegade points and maximum dialogue skills?

Depends on how you cheat your way to max. There's a conversation scenario that can be abused for maximum paragon and renegade points. If you plan on transferring your save over to ME2, then you should be aware that it can corrupt the save file in the second game. From what I understand this only happens if you use it for both paragon and renegade points.

Nothing to worry about if you're just playing through normally though.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

eyebrow posted:

Nah, if you max out one or the other it just unlocks additional dialogue options to spice things up. There is absolutely no downside to going either Paragon or Renegade. To be perfectly honest: just pick whatever dialogue option that looks like something you would say. I did that and I was entertained.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I thought paragon/renegade points was the only way to unlock charm/intimidate further or is that based on level?

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.

DarkDude98 posted:

Getting Toy Story 3 and Final Fantasy 13 from Love Film tomorrow, any advice on either games? (I imagine Toy Story is fairly straight forward, but mainly looking for FF13 advice).

Cheers

I actually played through Toy Story 3 on the PC and it is extremely well made. The story mode is pretty straight forward and fun, about 4-5 hours of gameplay. But there is also a GTA style open world mode which I only played for like 30 minutes, but it looked fun. There are also tokens and other stuff you can collect in levels to get a 100% if you're into that sort of thing.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

DarkDude98 posted:

Final Fantasy 13

Only a few tips for Final Fantasy 13 on the Wiki:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php/Site/FinalFantasy13

If anyone wants to write a few more in the thread, I'll add them.

PandasEVERYWHERE
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but any tips for the Killing Floor? I'm probably gonna pick it up after I get out of work. There's nothing for it on Centipeeds website.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Centipeed posted:

There's a depth to the combat system that isn't explained in any shape or fashion. Basically, after you execute any full ATB bar you can swap to another party layout and the ATB gauge will instantly refill.

Combat will eventually turn into "Let ATB fill -> Auto Battle -> Wait for lead character's attacks to finish -> Change party forms -> Consume full gauge -> Let ATB fill -> Auto Battle ->" and so on. Basically the only thing to keep you from falling asleep during the game.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Centipeed posted:

I know it isn't funny, but it's been long enough since this was said that it could be helpful:

Don't play it

awful, boring game somehow manages to strip out all of the things I ever liked about the series. Unless you're the kind of person who just wants to be told a story, and you insist on being told a bad one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

al-azad posted:

I thought paragon/renegade points was the only way to unlock charm/intimidate further or is that based on level?

IIRC, high P/R gives you bonuses to Charm/Intimidate, but you can also spend skillpoints on them normally.

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but any tips for the Killing Floor? I'm probably gonna pick it up after I get out of work. There's nothing for it on Centipeeds website.

There's a thread for it.

Basic tips:

Don't play singleplayer, or if you do, just play one or two rounds to get the feel for a new class. The game is focused around multiplayer and much more fun in MP.

Don't play above your level. Joining a Hell on Earth game as a level 1 medic pisses everyone off; you because you'll die pretty much instantly at the start of each round and your teammates because the game scales to the number of players but you're pretty much dead weight. If you find things getting too easy, go up to the next hardest difficulty rather than jumping straight to Hard or Hell on Earth.

Healing other people is much more effective than healing yourself; trade heals when possible.

Medics get bonus cash for healing, and the alt-fire on the medigun is a healing dart. Don't forget about it.

PUGs with pubbies are still fun more often than not.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC, high P/R gives you bonuses to Charm/Intimidate, but you can also spend skillpoints on them normally.

Nah, paragon and renegade score determine the maximum amount of points that you're allowed to invest into charm and intimidate. So at a low renegade score, you'll be capped at 3 points, and at a high renegade score, you'll be able to spend a full ten points on intimidate. You still have to spend the points, but shouting at people and being nice to them determines how many you're allowed to spend.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nah, paragon and renegade score determine the maximum amount of points that you're allowed to invest into charm and intimidate. So at a low renegade score, you'll be capped at 3 points, and at a high renegade score, you'll be able to spend a full ten points on intimidate. You still have to spend the points, but shouting at people and being nice to them determines how many you're allowed to spend.

It also gives you a few bonus points. If I remember right, you get 1 of each when you become a Spectre, and can get up to 3 free points from filling up the Paragon/Renegade bar.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Simply put, being "neutral" in a BioWare game isn't worth it. Full good/evil guys always get more stuff.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Red Saucer posted:

I know it isn't funny, but it's been long enough since this was said that it could be helpful:

Don't play it

awful, boring game somehow manages to strip out all of the things I ever liked about the series. Unless you're the kind of person who just wants to be told a story, and you insist on being told a bad one.

I pretty much played it because it was a Final Fantasy. Oddly, late in the game there's a point where you come across something that resembles an overworld and has the only thing resembling a side quest, and at that point I found it most enjoyable.

I read an interview with Square that discussed their design decisions, and while they had their justifications for them, I honestly enjoyed it the most when the game felt more like the previous iterations late in the game. They said something about wanting to strip out all the fat (towns, sidequests) to help emphasize the story. Unfortunately, the story is kinda meh.

Basically, Japanese culture has different tastes when in comes to what makes a video game (or plot) good, and it was mostly designed with that in mind instead of North American tastes.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

If you play support, the Hunting Shotgun is meant for the alt-fire. It's both barrels at once, for more pellets total than shooting them separately.
(also support is the best)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^

Lies, demolitions with both grenade launchers at once is the best.

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

You can level up a class, even when you're not using it. So every time you get a head shot kill with a pistol, it'll count towards your Sharpshooter class, even if you're playing medic or something.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

On the subject of killing floor, I'll mention that while medics get a bonus to it, ALL classes actually get cash for healing others. Seriously, trade heals.

Also, the hunting shotgun took a nerf so that it's the same amount of pellets fired one at a time or alt fired for a double blast, so don't feel you have to alt fire anymore.

The easiest way to kill the patriarch is a 6 berserker chainsaw rush with everyone surrounding him and spamming alt fire. This may not work at lower difficulty levels due to folks berserker perks being too low or just general disorganization. You also can't go wrong with pipe bombs and AA12s.

The medic's armor is a hell of a lot stronger than the perk description would have you believe. A high ranking medic is built like an iron wall and can actually tank flesh pounds and scrakes while the rest of the group tears them apart if a quick kill isn't possible.

On the subject of scrakes, a berserker can reliably stun lock one with melee, especially with a katana or good use of a fire axe. Let them handle scrakes and keep the trash off of them. Note at suicidal or higher this becomes far more difficult to do and at that point the berkerser may want to think twice unless they can attack from behind or have a ton of kiting room. A sharpshooter with a crossbow can one or two shot them depending on perk level and difficulty. As such, you should probably get a sharpshooter to handle scrakes at higher difficulties instead of a berserker.

Fleshpounds die like punks to explosives. A pipe bomb and/or the M32 from a demolitions expert will annihilate them. Otherwise save your grenades for them.

I could spew more about this game but this is becoming a wall and the three specimens I mention here are the real dangers. Good luck and have fun!

Metal Meltdown fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 3, 2011

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

Vizrt posted:

Depends on how you cheat your way to max. There's a conversation scenario that can be abused for maximum paragon and renegade points. If you plan on transferring your save over to ME2, then you should be aware that it can corrupt the save file in the second game. From what I understand this only happens if you use it for both paragon and renegade points.

Nothing to worry about if you're just playing through normally though.

I was just going to literally input the cheat code to give me enough paragon/renegade points to be able to get a full 10 in both dialogue skills, then cheat to give myself 10 skill pints in each. Do you know if it'll corrupt a save if I want to transfer?

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

eyebrow posted:

I was just going to literally input the cheat code to give me enough paragon/renegade points to be able to get a full 10 in both dialogue skills, then cheat to give myself 10 skill pints in each. Do you know if it'll corrupt a save if I want to transfer?

If you're not using the conversation glitch for the points, you don't have to worry about that particular corruption. The corruption itself stems from abusing the renegade/paragon conversation choices in that particular dialogue.

Since you didn't say exactly how you were getting the points, I figured I would mention it just in case.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
.hack GU, anybody?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Capsaicin posted:

.hack GU, anybody?

Off the top of my head, each game has stuff that unlocks and opens up after you beat it, which I recall helps when importing that save into the next game. The .hack//ROOTS anime is a prequel story-wise that leads directly into the games as well.

Beyond that though, it's been too long for me to remember details :(

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Couple quick Red Dead Redemption questions that I don't think have been on here yet:

1. Are you supposed to be able to do horsebreaking/nightwatch jobs over and over? I know they're needed for %100 completion, but I was wondering if you only have to do them once or something and then they become simply a cash earning minigame.

2. Is there any point in doing those random "HEY STRANGER DEY JUS MADE OFF WIT MA HORSE YOU GOTTA HALP GETIM BACK!" sidequests other than money? I assume they are random, so I can just skip right past them, right?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

1. I think you need to do it once for the costume quest, but only when such quest is available.

2. They are just random event.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OilSlick posted:

2. Is there any point in doing those random "HEY STRANGER DEY JUS MADE OFF WIT MA HORSE YOU GOTTA HALP GETIM BACK!" sidequests other than money? I assume they are random, so I can just skip right past them, right?

I think you get honor, too, don't you? It's been a while I don't really remember. Maybe only if you lasso instead of kill the thief?

I kind of hate those horse stealing missions though. When you bring the horse back the guy takes forever to get back on it, and if you leave before he does, you fail the side mission. I usually just skip them. Get your own drat horse back.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

.hack GU, anybody?

Most of your attacks can be guard-cancelled. For the big weapons, it's often best to hit block as soon as the first attack connects, and just keep repeating that. Hit-block-hit-block etc.

Unlike the original .hack games, there's a dedicated healer class. You only ever get one until the post-game of Redemption.

If you plan to 100% fill out the Ryu Books, you'll definitely want a guide. I'm not sure the rewards are worth it, but I was OCD enough to try it. It took forever.

There's a bunch more but I'm not sure what you'd want. Anything specific you want to know?

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Batman: Arkham Asylum - What should I know before I dive into kicking the poo poo out of people as Batman? Thanks!

Edit: never mind, the thread is full of advices :)

hog wizard fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 3, 2011

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

hog wizard posted:

Batman: Arkham Asylum - What should I know before I dive into kicking the poo poo out of people as Batman? Thanks!

Using the detective mode all the time (except for battles) will help you find secrets, which in turn give you experience.
Experience heals you, so make it a point to do well in combat and solve the Riddler's challenges.
Buy the combat and armor upgrades first.
The combo meter resets if you get hit or spend two seconds without hitting anybody, or vaulting over them. After the third hit in a combo, you can dash between enemies. Just move the stick in the right direction and press square, and Batman will fly towards them.
After you buy the appropriate upgrades, Batman will have nine combat actions. The more you use in a single combo, and the longer the combo is, the more experience you'll get.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I noticed that the wiki has pages for both Eternal Sonata and Eternal Sonata 2. However, Eternal Sonata 2 doesn't exist.

Can someone take a look at both of these and tell me if the Eternal Sonata 2 tips apply to Eternal Sonata 1? Then I can merge the two pages.

But there's a chance that the tips for Eternal Sonata 2 are actually for a similarly named but entirely unrelated game, and the names just got confused. They're frustratingly vague, so it's hard to tell what game they might apply to.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php/Site/EternalSonota

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php/Site/EternalSonata2

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think you get honor, too, don't you? It's been a while I don't really remember. Maybe only if you lasso instead of kill the thief?

Yeah you get honor from random events if you don't kill people.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Centipeed posted:

I noticed that the wiki has pages for both Eternal Sonata and Eternal Sonata 2. However, Eternal Sonata 2 doesn't exist.

Can someone take a look at both of these and tell me if the Eternal Sonata 2 tips apply to Eternal Sonata 1? Then I can merge the two pages.

But there's a chance that the tips for Eternal Sonata 2 are actually for a similarly named but entirely unrelated game, and the names just got confused. They're frustratingly vague, so it's hard to tell what game they might apply to.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php/Site/EternalSonota

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php/Site/EternalSonata2

Yeah, all those tips apply to Eternal Sonata.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Spermando posted:

Using the detective mode all the time (except for battles) will help you find secrets, which in turn give you experience.
This ruins the game.

Spermando posted:

Buy the combat and armor upgrades first.
Get the inverted takedown first, then the combat upgrades, then batarang upgrades. The armour upgrades are totally pointless: You can go the whole game without taking a single hit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

This ruins the game.

Get the inverted takedown first, then the combat upgrades, then batarang upgrades. The armour upgrades are totally pointless: You can go the whole game without taking a single hit.

I never found the inverted takedown to be a terribly useful move, but it's bad-rear end enough that I always get it first and go out of my way to use it, even when there would be better ways to handle the situation.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never found the inverted takedown to be a terribly useful move, but it's bad-rear end enough that I always get it first and go out of my way to use it, even when there would be better ways to handle the situation.

And then once you've used it, you can occasionally Batarang the dangling goon down onto another thug coming to investigate him.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ainsley McTree posted:

Really? I use it all the time. Not only because it's bad rear end, but it's a really easy way to take someone out. Especially if you've taken out all but two people: They split up, panicking, and you take out one with an inverted takedown then glide kick the other.

Ratatozsk posted:

And then once you've used it, you can occasionally Batarang the dangling goon down onto another thug coming to investigate him.
And this.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Eggn0g posted:

Yeah, all those tips apply to Eternal Sonata.

Thanks a bunch!

The wiki contains some great hints for Batman:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php/Site/BatmanArkhamAsylum

I always liked inverted takedown because as long as you could get one goon on his own, it was an easy way to take him out in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

If you have a stack of goons bunched up in one place, you can get everyone up to Terrified by taking a guy in their immediate vicinity out while everyone else is stunned. The magic phrase is "What's doing this?!". Triple batarang works up to four, but provided that everyone in the room is in a neat single file, the remote 'rang lets you potentially scare the poo poo out of the entire room with the first KO.