Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
225/50 16 works great on those wheels. Exactly what I have on my rs 6 spokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, we have a bunch of guys here running autox events with 225s on the stock RS wheels. Don't worry about it - just make sure they're well inflated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've run 225/50/16 on my stock '02 wheels for years and years without problem. I ran a set of Pzero Nero M&S for all seasons like that and I ran my Hancook RS2s like that as well for autocross. I did eventally go back to 205/55/16 for my all seasons though.

My winters I got in '11 ratio for my 16s since they take a slightly larger wheel/tire combo. It's just hard to find tires in 215/55/16.

I figure I'd rather have my '02 speedo get thrown off (which is off anyways) than my '11.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 31, 2011

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I wasn't really talking about yours, I drove a local's car on the street on 91 pump gas and ~20 psi and it was pretty awful.

jamal posted:

how is that terrible spool?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

e85. early last year we were on MS109 (110 unleaded). Switching to e85 took us from 550 to 650. Then we discovered our oil catch can was causing us to burn a lot of oil. We fixed that and picked up another 40whp. then swapped turbo and we're at close to 750. it's pretty nuts and I won't be surprised if the transmission, block, a rod, or headgasket fail in the very near future.

e85 is some kind of black magic go fast juice.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

indeed. also I don't have any more of those cheapo intercoolers

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

indeed. also I don't have any more of those cheapo intercoolers

I shall convey the sad news to my friend.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Took my car '11 STI in for a 3" downpipe and protune last week with expected results. (running at 19.8psi already had SPT catback)

Fast forward to last night, my car fairly consistently was boosting to 20-21psi according to my gauge, and on my third pull the car sets back a little and goes into limp mode with the CEL flashing. Drive home slowly and out of boost to pull the codes with my accessport. Turns out to be P0031 and P0037 having to do with O2 sensors. From what I have seen it seems as though something may of been damaged during the install of the downpipe or heat shield, or the downpipe wasn't installed correctly and was venting exhaust gases on the sensor/harness.

Does anyone have any input on this issue? Car only has about 6,000 miles on it.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

VolumeBroadcast posted:

Took my car '11 STI in for a 3" downpipe and protune last week with expected results. (running at 19.8psi already had SPT catback)

Fast forward to last night, my car fairly consistently was boosting to 20-21psi according to my gauge, and on my third pull the car sets back a little and goes into limp mode with the CEL flashing. Drive home slowly and out of boost to pull the codes with my accessport. Turns out to be P0031 and P0037 having to do with O2 sensors. From what I have seen it seems as though something may of been damaged during the install of the downpipe or heat shield, or the downpipe wasn't installed correctly and was venting exhaust gases on the sensor/harness.

What's your DAM?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
So I'm more-or-less done (for now) with my ez30d into 2.5rs swap. I've been driving it for a few weeks without much issue and just tackled the last CEL code today. The CEL code (P1590/P1591) has to do with the neutral position switch and kinda has me confused. The manual I'm looking at says that at ECU connector B134 pin 8, the voltage should be 0V if the car's in neutral, and 5V if it's in gear.

At this point I just wanted to get rid of the CELs so I can get the car inspected and avoid a $150 fine. To get rid of the code I attempted grounding the pin (which results in the P1591 code - voltage too low), and then wiring it to 5V (which results in the P1590 code - voltage too high). I eventually just started using combinations of resistors between the ECU pin and ground, and found that the CEL disappears at 315 +/- 5 ohms, corresponding to 2.25V at the ECU pin. I don't know why that's the magic number, it makes no sense to me. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be happy, because eventually I'd like the ECU to know whether it's in neutral or in gear.

I'm also intermittently getting a P1507 code, which indicates an IACV problem but also pops up when there's problems with the neutral position switch. I'm not sure if it's related to my homebrew intake, not having the throttle cable adjusted properly, with the above mentioned CEL fix, or if there's actually an IACV problem. Regardless, the CEL will come on when driving and then the next time I turn the car on it's gone.

I'll probably post about the whole swap sometime soon if anyone's interested

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

VolumeBroadcast posted:

are the green test connectors plugged in?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

dyne posted:

I'll probably post about the whole swap sometime soon if anyone's interested

Dear god yes.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

jamal posted:

are the green test connectors plugged in?

Sorry for the delayed response... Got the car to the shop that did my tune and downpipe install and they quickly identified that a wire had been stripped/damaged during the install. The only reason I had it installed there is because my current driveway is mostly soft soil and grass and didn't feel safe getting underneath the car with jack stands. They fixed it free of charge, and admitted fault so I'm not too bitter about it.

While I'm making a post, I've been hearing good things (here, at NASIOC, and in person) about the whiteline sways, and underbrace. Do you guys recommend a 22mm rear, 24mm front set up or keep it even? I know they are adjustable, but just wanted to get some advice from people that have added these to the stock suspension as to what the best option is. Car is a daily driver with the occasional autocross use and the rare track day session.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VolumeBroadcast posted:

While I'm making a post, I've been hearing good things (here, at NASIOC, and in person) about the whiteline sways, and underbrace. Do you guys recommend a 22mm rear, 24mm front set up or keep it even? I know they are adjustable, but just wanted to get some advice from people that have added these to the stock suspension as to what the best option is. Car is a daily driver with the occasional autocross use and the rare track day session.

Drive it harder would be a better idea. Swaybars arent going to magicially make this huge difference - if anything castor changes will make a more noticable difference.

Underbrace is a good idea but it will add to understeer as it stiffens the front end.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Goddamnit, I just attempted to put the stock catback exhaust on my wife's new '03 wrx, only to find the previous owner had welded the HKS downpipe to the loud as gently caress catback. Balls. I also learned that he hadn't gotten a tune when he put the exhaust on.

I need to find a stock downpipe.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Why would you do that?

Also the stock struts on my car are about done (95k miles). Any suggestions?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Wrar posted:

Why would you do that?

If it's just a DD and you don't really give a poo poo. KYB GR2's are the way to go. Stock replacement, little stiffer than used stock struts. Anything else, I'd wait for Jamal or someone smarter than me to give advice. I know what's decent and whats trash, but I don't really know what the ascending order of struts are to list out and their price brackets.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Along the same lines, is strut replacement a DIY job?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Wrar posted:

Why would you do that?
The exhaust that's on there is extraordinarily loud.

Also, I started a thread about my engine swap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

Along the same lines, is strut replacement a DIY job?
Yeah. Just make sure to have a spring compressor for maximum safety.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

VolumeBroadcast posted:

2010 STI Reporting in...

I originally went 22/22 and that made quite the difference however I was ultimately unsatisfied with the front end bite and ended up buying a 25mm front to try to remedy that. It was a great difference, the front end bite was much improved.

As mentioned there are many other mods in the front end that will help you out (RCA, Anti-Lift kit), and the other thing to do right off the bat is to get yourself a proper alignment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

Why would you do that?

Swap for 02 STI suspension

(It's what the 06 WRX in reality has. Shhhh, dont tell anyone :) )

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Dyne, I meant for the previous owner. Welding the DP to the rest of the exhaust is just weird.

Cat Terrist posted:

Swap for 02 STI suspension

(It's what the 06 WRX in reality has. Shhhh, dont tell anyone :) )
Yes, but I have a wagon and the different rear track complicates things. Also, no 02 STI in the States, we didn't get the STi until 04. Unless you know a way around these issues...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

Yes, but I have a wagon and the different rear track complicates things. Also, no 02 STI in the States, we didn't get the STi until 04. Unless you know a way around these issues...

No it doesnt, let me explain. The rear struts do a straight out drop in with the narrow AND wide suspension - the hubs are the same and that's the important thing. In fact the rear hubs for all the above are the same dogear width (altho they are wider across the drive axis) - I fitted R180 hubs to the STI and the suspension carried over. So from 02-07 STI on the rear, you are gold.

Front then is the issue as from the 04, the STI uses a wider dog ear on the strut to match the wider front hub. However, this isnt really a problem as you use 06 WRX strut body and then you can throw in the Bilstein style STI strut. STI springs are a given to fit.

Most of this should be easily obtained thru Flea-bay or any number of morons on NASIOC selling off good suspension after putting the latest mad tyte JDM SupaDRIFTOOOO cheap rear end coil overs that'll no exactly zero but they'll crap on how good they are. This is what I did to create a roadish kind of suspension for the STI when I wanted to use it on the track - it uses the same hubs on the front you have. I also recycled the struts in total when the WRX ones blew and I found the strut tubes had been butchered - Lord knows when, it was only used as a Subaru Exec car before I got hold of it.

There's no reason why with a bit of careful choosing of spares, ou cant get a very neato upgrade. You should see how I've cheaped out with castor upgrade on the rally car :D - heck I picked up a set of WRX sway bars to replace the STI's for nothing - and the guy who did the sway bar upgrade cant work out why the stock WRX was quicker than his car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 4, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Putting sedan struts on a wagon results in a severe lack of negative camber. Whiteline com c top mounts and a couple sets of camber bolts gets you back to the right region at least.

Don't bother trying to find sti struts. By now all the stuff that fits is 7 years old.

Tokico d specs are currently the way to go. And yes they're also sedan struts and 02-03 specific fitment, but they're at least worth getting to work.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Bah, I just put some 245/40/18's on my 2010 WRX and they rub the crap out of my rallyarmor mud flaps (they only rub audibly when going backwards at a half turn).

I'm going to verify it's the flaps tomorrow, but anyone have any advice beyond 'buy different tires' or 'take the flaps off'?

syphon fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 4, 2011

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

syphon posted:

Bah, I just put some 245/40/18's on my 2010 WRX and they rub the crap out of my rallyarmor mud flaps (they only rub audibly when going backwards at a half turn).

I'm going to verify it's the flaps tomorrow, but anyone have any advice beyond 'buy different tires' or 'take the flaps off'?

Get the v2 flaps.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Why is it so hard to find a manual transmission for a 98 RS?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

daslog posted:

Why is it so hard to find a manual transmission for a 98 RS?

30 Seconds on google reveals -

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/production/production.html

code:
'98 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 995 units
'98 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 685 units
Total for 1998 - 1,680 units

'99 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 1,795 units
'99 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 345 units
Total for 1999 - 2,140 units

'00 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 2,375 units
'00 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 535 units
'00 Impreza RS Sedan 5-speed - 1,636 units
'00 Impreza RS Sedan automatic - 1,574 units
Total for 2000 - 6,120 units

'01 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 1,701 units
'01 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 324 units
'01 Impreza RS Sedan 5-speed - 1,057 units
'01 Impreza RS Sedan automatic - 1,011 units
Total for 2001 - 4,093 units
Looks like it should in fact be easier.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Hehe, "easier"

995 units in the whole US.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

c355n4 posted:

Hehe, "easier"

995 units in the whole US.

Easier than an automatic.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009
So I have a new 2011 STi and I'm not paticularly impressed with the speakers. Should I buy an amplifier to boost the stock ones or would it be necessary to replace the speakers as well?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Get a new headunit first.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Catsoup posted:

So I have a new 2011 STi and I'm not paticularly impressed with the speakers. Should I buy an amplifier to boost the stock ones or would it be necessary to replace the speakers as well?

I would not recommend an amp on the stock speakers. Replacing the head unit brought a lot better sound into the car for me, however shortly there after I replaced the speakers as well.

I replaced all of mine with http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2651--6-5-Inch-Speaker/dp/B001C3P6FI/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301937452&sr=1-4 though I want to go with a component in front. The sound is much better, but having replaced the head unit first I'm not certain how they'd match up with the stock HU.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Get a new headunit first.

Yup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would like to state that I'm a firm believer in Subaru Extra-S gear oil now. I finally did a gear oil change on my 2002 a week ago and put this stuff in and it's really been a joy every since. We had a few cold temp days (mid teens temps) and it really didn't have the same feel of pudding that the previous fill had. As the temp has warmed up, it's gotten even better.

It really has made the thing feel much closer to my '11 transmission in smoothness.

Now, my transmission only has about 25k miles on it (had it replaced with a new unit a little over 2 years ago) so I'm not sure if the effects of the gear oil will be even greater on an older unit or less pronounced.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

allonblack posted:

I replaced all of mine with http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2651--6-5-Inch-Speaker/dp/B001C3P6FI/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301937452&sr=1-4 though I want to go with a component in front. The sound is much better, but having replaced the head unit first I'm not certain how they'd match up with the stock HU.

Might I suggest Elemental Design speakers: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_23_127&products_id=49

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to replace the front speakers in my 04 WRX but it's such a pain in the rear end trying to search through NASIOC to find good setups for older Subarus. Need the right spacers, speaker depth, size, etc.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

allonblack posted:

Get the v2 flaps.
I'm reasonably sure I already have the v2 flaps. What makes you think I have v1, and what improved with v2?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I would like to state that I'm a firm believer in Subaru Extra-S gear oil now.

yeah we stock it and put it in everything and I'm due for a trans fluid change, looking forward to seeing how it does. 188k so all my syncros are a little bit slow.

In other news we were in AZ for the Modified Magazine Tuner Shootout last weekend and it was pretty fun. Took a few pictures.

Getting loaded up on the dyno where we made somewhere north of 700whp:

out on the drag strip. it's a ten second car bro:

A nice shot a guy named Kyle Pope took of us on the road course:

Me and Frank from JRZ with our super official radio headsets:

Our pit area:

Some of the competition:

AFI turbo's dick shaped exhaust piping cutout:

Science of Speed NSX:

Photoshoot

Beer time attack:

We drew an electrical tape dick on our friend Renzo's car at some point during the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Do they still only sell Extra-S in the 20L drums?