Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarfishPrime
Jul 16, 2003

Somebody order an ass full of pipe wrench?

Whispering Machines posted:

I also really liked Carriers, which is about a group of young people trying to survive post-apocalyptic flu pandemic America. Again, slow paced.

I enjoyed Carriers more than Monsters, but that might have been because I kept waiting for Detective Stabler to flip the gently caress out on the main characters.

If you're into zombie movies, Undead or Alive is on instant, with Chris Kattan. Actually a decent movie, as long as you're not looking for anything serious.

There are a few History/Discovery/Travel channel shows up, I've watched/queued Life After People, Fight Quest, Destination Truth, Gangland, Survivorman and Man vs. Wild so far.

Are there any decent post-apoc/what if shows similar to Life After People on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If you're into travel, Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" is mostly up on Netflix and, I think, well worth a watch.

freddy benson
May 6, 2005

Zwabu posted:

If you're into travel, Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" is mostly up on Netflix and, I think, well worth a watch.

Seconded. It's food-centric for a Travel Show, hence Bourdain being the host, but its great nonetheless. Check out the 'Rust Belt' and 'Into the Fire" episodes.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Reaper seasons 1 and 2 got added last week. I vaguely remembered hearing that it was really good when it first came out, but I never got a chance to watch it. It was cancelled after two seasons because it was on that lovely CW channel.

Anyway, it's about a guy whose parents sold his soul to the devil before he was born, and when he turns 18 he has to enter the devil's service as a bounty hunter, capturing escaped souls and returning them to hell.

The show is really funny and well done. I really like all the actors, and the guy who plays Sock is loving hilarious. Ray Wise as the devil is also loving great. It's a really good show...I'm about five episodes in and I'm hooked.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Jibo posted:

Yeah, it seemed like there was a definite lull in releases for it and they are picking up again.

Speaking of which. Next month will be a good month for Netflix streaming.

The comments on that link are terrible.

That will be cool about getting Cheers and such though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The original The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 was returned to Instant this week. Great 70's crime film with a fantastic cast.

And while we're on 70's crime films starring Walter Mathau, Charley Varrick. Watched this for the first time about two weeks ago and loved it. If you're a Tarantino fan, you need to watch it so that you can see the film that the trailer fight from Kill Bill vol. 2 drew its inspiration from. If you're a MST3K fan, it's got Joe Don Baker in the role he was born to play - NOT the hero!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Dead Cow posted:

The comments on that link are terrible.
Someone could win a free cruise trip around the world, and they'd still complain like a harpy if there aren't enough towels in the room. Kind of human nature I guess. But seriously?:

quote:

We tried your netflix streaming free trial on wii and canceled our subscription the same day. Bring some new movies to this platform.
Granted a lot of the movies netflix has free for streaming are of the straight-to-video variety, and tastes do vary, but even for the most picky of movie fans, I can't imagine there are less than 100 movies worth your time that you'd enjoy available for streaming, and this person was doing a trial of the service FOR FREE and found a way to complain. What a loving jackass.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

doobiedealerman posted:

Seconded. It's food-centric for a Travel Show, hence Bourdain being the host, but its great nonetheless. Check out the 'Rust Belt' and 'Into the Fire" episodes.

Hell yeah. No Reservations is awesome. The Rust Belt episode spends a good deal of time just one The Wire, so it's worth it just for that.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Elijya posted:

Someone could win a free cruise trip around the world, and they'd still complain like a harpy if there aren't enough towels in the room. Kind of human nature I guess. But seriously?:

Granted a lot of the movies netflix has free for streaming are of the straight-to-video variety, and tastes do vary, but even for the most picky of movie fans, I can't imagine there are less than 100 movies worth your time that you'd enjoy available for streaming, and this person was doing a trial of the service FOR FREE and found a way to complain. What a loving jackass.

That and Netflix not following Canadian broadcasting laws :canada:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched Monsters last night. What a major disappointment. I was expecting a suspenseful sci-fi thriller and instead got a lovely romance movie with an occasional giant octopus.

I felt like the whole movie lacked any kind of danger. These characters are supposed to be skirting this "infected zone" where everything is intense and lovely, and they're walking around like it's date night at the carnival, eating grilled corn with shits and giggles.

And then the end, for gently caress's sake - the octopus makeout scene - really? Really?

me your dad has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Mar 17, 2011

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

A Nice Boy posted:

Reaper seasons 1 and 2 got added last week. I vaguely remembered hearing that it was really good when it first came out, but I never got a chance to watch it. It was cancelled after two seasons because it was on that lovely CW channel.

Anyway, it's about a guy whose parents sold his soul to the devil before he was born, and when he turns 18 he has to enter the devil's service as a bounty hunter, capturing escaped souls and returning them to hell.

The show is really funny and well done. I really like all the actors, and the guy who plays Sock is loving hilarious. Ray Wise as the devil is also loving great. It's a really good show...I'm about five episodes in and I'm hooked.

This show is good, but suffers from "canceled way too drat soon" disease. It never really lost steam and started getting pretty interesting but they axed it early partially because the actors who play Sam and Sock wanted to do other things and proceeded to do nothing but much crappier TV shows.

Drewsky posted:

Hell yeah. No Reservations is awesome. The Rust Belt episode spends a good deal of time just one The Wire, so it's worth it just for that.

This episode is crazy because Snoop talks about how she's changing her life around and what not in it. She's just recently been arrested in a major heroin sting operation.

Also, similar to the Rust Belt episode is the Cleveland one which is noteworthy because he spends a fair amount of time paling around with Harvey Pekar.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the British miniseries based on Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic. I would recommend reading The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic before watching it, since it condenses both books into about 3 hours.

While a good number of subplots are left out, the actual story and the motivations of the characters that are still there are all more or less accurate (unlike the American adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, for example). The special effects and costumes are definitely tv-movie quality, but were done faithfully, although it obviously has trouble showing octarine.

It's also worth noting that it has an amazing cast; David Jason and Sean Astin do an excellent job as Rincewind and Twoflower, also Tim Curry, Jeremy Irons, and the voice of Christopher Lee are great.

Netflix Instant also has the adaptation of The Hogfather, but I'm waiting until I read the book to watch that, so I can't comment but as far as I can tell it's made by pretty much the same people.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Thank you to the person who recommended Archer, its a great show!

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
For some reason several movies Ive tried to watch on Netflix were somehow in french. "Hard Rain" and "Dead Man On Campus" both were the french dubbed versions, trailer/webpage for them is in english and every other movie Ive watched was the original french versions. Weird that they would seemingly have uploaded the wrong versions of the films? Theres also multiple people "reviewing" these problems on the movies webpage so its not just me...and yet no fix yet.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
The League Season 1 is available now

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

casual poster posted:

Season 2 is on Hulu coming out 30 days after original air date, but it's as quick as you can get it without :files:

Side note. For Christmas my boyfriend got me some comic books, and apparently they were giving out free Archer mouse pads. I opened my gifts and while pleased with the comics, I fell in love with the mousepad and told him it was the best gift ever. Then I notice the "Jan 27 Thurs 10 FX" thing at the bottom and realized he didn't actually pay for it.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Jibo posted:

This show is good, but suffers from "canceled way too drat soon" disease. It never really lost steam and started getting pretty interesting but they axed it early partially because the actors who play Sam and Sock wanted to do other things and proceeded to do nothing but much crappier TV shows.

This episode is crazy because Snoop talks about how she's changing her life around and what not in it. She's just recently been arrested in a major heroin sting operation.

Also, similar to the Rust Belt episode is the Cleveland one which is noteworthy because he spends a fair amount of time paling around with Harvey Pekar.

Ah, I'd thought it was because it didn't get good ratings. I know the reviews were good, but I thought I'd heard that the viewership was low.

That said, I'm just a few episodes into season 2 and I loving love this show. It's hilarious and interesting and original, and all the actors are goddamn perfect.

Once again, people, check out Reaper.

Ray Wise might be my favorite actor whose ever portrayed the devil.

Xixox
Nov 8, 2009
Not sure how long this has been available, but I just watched In the Mouth of Madness the other night when I noticed it fell into my queue. Love Sam Neill's performance in that one.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Defiance

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Defiance/70101696?trkid=2361637

Excellent flick.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Black Dynamite

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190536/

Heard about this movie on the nerdist podcast, its basically a modern recreation of terrible lowbudget blaxploitation kung-fu movies from the 70's. Its hilarious, and on the second watch I caught a bunch of subtle "bad" cinematography jokes.

You Look Adopted
Mar 31, 2010
While somebody already mentioned In The Mouth of Madness, DAGON is also on Netflix now for Lovecraft fans. My expectations were pretty low but was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

casual poster posted:

Seconding this, I watched the first season and got caught up with season 2 over the last couple days.

PaintVagrant posted:

Black Dynamite

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190536/

Heard about this movie on the nerdist podcast, its basically a modern recreation of terrible lowbudget blaxploitation kung-fu movies from the 70's. Its hilarious, and on the second watch I caught a bunch of subtle "bad" cinematography jokes.

Agreed. Black Dynamite is seriously the funniest movie I've seen in years. The thing that makes Black Dynamite better than every other homage of blaxploitation movies is that it keeps the gratuitous nudity and swearing. Also it's possibly the only movie I've seen that really pulls off the "intentionally cheap-looking" motif (probably because Black Dynamite was actually fairly low budget).

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

A Nice Boy posted:

Once again, people, check out Reaper.

Ray Wise might be my favorite actor whose ever portrayed the devil.

Me and the wife have been watching this series and really enjoying it, somehow we totally missed this show when it was broadcast.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

John Carpenter's "The Thing" and "This is Spinal Tap" are currently on Netflix streaming and highly recommended for those who have never seen either one.

I think "The Thing" corresponds with the movie being run on Starz network.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Hot Tub Time Machine, Ken Burns Baseball, and Sons of Anarchy ssns 1 and 2 just went up! Woo!

SwellingRebellion
Sep 23, 2005
Upright Citizens Brigade Season 2 is on there.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Zwabu posted:

John Carpenter's "The Thing" and "This is Spinal Tap" are currently on Netflix streaming and highly recommended for those who have never seen either one.

I think "The Thing" corresponds with the movie being run on Starz network.

John Carpenter's "This is Spinal Tap" starring Wilford Brimley, Kurt Russell, Michael Ironside, and Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jolo posted:

John Carpenter's "This is Spinal Tap" starring Wilford Brimley, Kurt Russell, Michael Ironside, and Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I'd watch the hell out of it, no lie

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV
Toy Story 3 is available for streaming now. (!)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Four-String Samurai posted:

Toy Story 3 is available for streaming now. (!)

Whoa. What/who did they sacrifice to allow Pixar movies on streaming? I thought Disney would never allow it!

Up is available for steaming too. If the beginning of that movie doesn't make you feel anything, you're dead inside.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Kammat posted:

Whoa. What/who did they sacrifice to allow Pixar movies on streaming? I thought Disney would never allow it!

Up is available for steaming too. If the beginning of that movie doesn't make you feel anything, you're dead inside.

Up and The Princess and the Frog have been on Netflix streaming for a while now.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kammat posted:

It's through Starz Play, which means no HD and usually a shorter streaming window than other titles. This is because Starz has first-run premium cable rights for Disney films, which also allows for online streaming. Naturally, Disney is incensed about this, and is threatening not to renew their deal with Starz unless (monetary) concessions are made for online rights.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Speaking of Netflix deals. Showtime is going to pull its crap off of Instant later this year. Apparently they want to start their own premium streaming service, which seems kind of dumb.

Anyway, that means that people should really watch Weeds, Dexter Californication, The Tudors, and Dead Like Me since they are all pretty good and might not be around by the time the Showtime content gets pulled.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

JethroMcB posted:

It's through Starz Play, which means no HD and usually a shorter streaming window than other titles. This is because Starz has first-run premium cable rights for Disney films, which also allows for online streaming. Naturally, Disney is incensed about this, and is threatening not to renew their deal with Starz unless (monetary) concessions are made for online rights.

Forgot all about them, even though they're the reason I started with Netflix in the first place (Hello Spartacus!). That makes sense then.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
They just added a bunch of new Top Gear seasons it seems.

The Ace
Oct 28, 2003
Always got an ace up my sleeve

Jibo posted:

Speaking of Netflix deals. Showtime is going to pull its crap off of Instant later this year. Apparently they want to start their own premium streaming service, which seems kind of dumb.

Anyway, that means that people should really watch Weeds, Dexter Californication, The Tudors, and Dead Like Me since they are all pretty good and might not be around by the time the Showtime content gets pulled.

I can't stress how important it is to watch Dexter , really a great show and one I probably never would have gotten to see without netflix.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

The Ace posted:

I can't stress how important it is to watch Dexter , really a great show and one I probably never would have gotten to see without netflix.

Netflix is expensive. Sure $10 a month but then you get hooked on a show like The Shield and you go buy it because you are too impatient to watch the discs 1 at a time.

I like that Sons Of Anarchy went up recently, sure I own the DVDs but sometimes Netflix instant is just quicker.

I just watched Gonzo which is a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson. It was better than I expected it to be. So if you're an HST fan, definitely check it out.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

We're getting Mad Men in July, so we'll have something to do after we lose the first two seasons of Dexter.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

FadingChord posted:

We're getting Mad Men in July, so we'll have something to do after we lose the first two seasons of Dexter.

Well it's about time. Now all they need to add is The Wire and I can stop bitching for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fralcon
Nov 25, 2002

by Ozmaugh
I have RoboGeisha, Vampire Girl Vs. Frankenstein Girl and Aliens vs. Ninja in my queue, haven't seen em yet but estimating cheesy japanese awesomeness.

Watching the new Bill Burr hour standup special that just hit streaming, funny as hell. Was a writer for Dave Chappelle and also had a legendary rant at a Philadelphia audience who wouldn't stop loving with comics, look it up on youtube.

• Locked thread