Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
Wanted to share with you the progress that I've made in productions largely in part to these forums, so I wanted to say thank you to everyone :) Anyways here's a filthy electro/fidget remix I just finished today for a remix competition. I had some severe writers block for a while, but pretty much pounded out this track in seven hours today.

http://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/udachi-stumble-the-vandal

Let me know what you guys think, any constructive criticism would be great, I want to keep improving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

GbrushTwood posted:

Wanted to share with you the progress that I've made in productions largely in part to these forums, so I wanted to say thank you to everyone :) Anyways here's a filthy electro/fidget remix I just finished today for a remix competition. I had some severe writers block for a while, but pretty much pounded out this track in seven hours today.

http://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/udachi-stumble-the-vandal

Let me know what you guys think, any constructive criticism would be great, I want to keep improving

I don't even like this genre, but I think this is great. Really enjoyable. The intro and outro could stand to be a bit shorter, but otherwise I have no criticism to offer.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's something that's way different than what I usually post

http://snd.sc/fnUiCe

It's just a sketch at the moment, but ideally it's the starting point of a short album with this sort of stuff. Comments appreciated :)

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

a milk crime posted:

I really like it. A wide variety of stuff, but, it's made very well.

Thanks for listening, much appreciated :)

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I've spent a long time on this... does anyone have any feedback? It's my usual style, creepy chill-out with beats.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
New sketch, with and without R Kelly depending on if that's your thing:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

mezzir posted:

New sketch, with and without R Kelly depending on if that's your thing:

I wasn't digging the kick at first, so maybe do something with it until the song really kicks in? in all the quieter parts it isn't doing it for me. I think the new bass in the breakdown at the end is pretty weak too, I think you should do something more engaging with that instrument. These are all just nitpicks, for a sketch it's already great.

The pads are awesome, what are you using for the delay/echo?

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
I'm having a real tough time adding to my sample library... it seems like every website I come across only sells loops, not sample packs - and I'm desperately trying to find some high quality drum samples. What websites/resources do you guys use?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

E1M5 posted:

I'm having a real tough time adding to my sample library... it seems like every website I come across only sells loops, not sample packs - and I'm desperately trying to find some high quality drum samples. What websites/resources do you guys use?
Try http://www.vengeance-sound.de/ for dance drums.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Yeah, Vengeance has pretty much the industry standard drum sounds for most electronic music of the house/trance/whatever variety. Also check out http://drumsamples.org/ which is pretty sweet and all those samples are free. Otherwise, what kind of music are you making? Depending on the style you might want different drum sample libraries.

Also, I just got an LPD8 to gently caress around with on Ableton, and god drat this little thing is helping me get so many ideas just by loving around with the pads and different effects. For instance, maybe this is common knowledge or perhaps the total opposite, but with enough loving around I was able to get a pretty good bassline sound out of an 808 snare. I grabbed Ableton, loaded up a hihat, kick, and 2 808 snares on a Drum Rack. Took the second snare, turned Loop mode on and assigned Length and Transposition to different knobs on the LPD8. Then I opened up a Bitcrusher plugin and Auto-Filter. I mapped on/off and depth from the bitcrusher. Then I mapped frequency, resonance, and rate to more knobs and on/off to another pad from auto-filter, then went to town messing around with all the settings. I was able to get some unique dubsteppy sounds I would have never come across in a thousand years, usually because I don't get inspired enough to mess around with stuff like this on my regular midi keyboard. Just thought I'd share that and maybe other people might have some ideas for unconventional ways to get new sounds.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for the recomendations. I have a few Vengeance packs already, and they're pretty good for the most part - I guess maybe I just haven't been using them to their fullest, instead I'm just too picky. It seems like a lot of their kicks have too much oomph, and their claps/snares are too subdued...

I make indie/electronic/pop-ish sort of stuff. Think Owl City (but a little less :gay:)

I'm finding that there really isn't a whole lot of good indie/electronica anymore these days. I find that whenever I sit down to write a track lately or work on my followup album, everything that comes to me is House or House-esque. I don't know if I'm having a creative block, or this music is really just phasing out.

E1M5 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 5, 2011

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 10, 2017

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Cross-posting from the SA DJ thread trying to figure out where I should post my music:

1karus posted:

I recently started playing around with creating mashups and have been looking for feedback/constructive criticism on my work. I tried posting these in the DJ mixes megathread, but was told that wasn't really the proper place. I'm going to hope that this is. I'm using Ableton Live.

A mashup of David Holmes' 7/29/04 The Day Of, Drake's Forever, and La Caution's Thé à la Menthe.
http://soundcloud.com/ma86-project/7-29-04-the-day-of-forever-la

This mashup was a huge gamble, and the warping that occurred on the vocal track will make or break it for most people.

A mashup of Hoshina Anniversary's See-Through, Purple Ribbon All-Star's Kryptonite, and Teddyloid's Theme of Corset.
http://soundcloud.com/ma86-project/see-through-kryptonian-corset

This is probably what I consider my best mashup out of the three. The music is from Panty & Stocking

A mashup of Teddyloid's Fly Away, and Theme of Scanty & Kneesocks.
http://soundcloud.com/ma86-project/angels-vs-demons-teddyloid-vs

This was obviously the first one I did and received pretty positive feedback.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

Anyone a sub-bass expert? I usually just build a basic sine in 3x osc, drop it down to around C3 depending, and add a touch of distortion but I feel I could be doing a lot better.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I usually find the way I build a sub bass depends on the bass part it's supporting. Usually I prefer using a saw wave and throwing a low pass filter over it and adding some distortion, as I feel it's a little "thumpier," but sometimes it's not the best solution. Depending on the bass track, sometimes you can just take the bass part, high pass filter one, and low pass filter the other one and EQ boost the lows. On some tracks this sounds awful, especially with really busy and morphing bass parts, but on some tracks where you need the sub bass to keep a certain articulation and phrasing and not have it sound weird because you switched sounds, this always works. Sub bass is pretty tricky to get right, and I'm not exactly incredible with getting it to sound awesome, but I can usually manage and it sounds more than alright in most of my productions. The only thing I haven't yet figured out is how some producers make incredibly powerful and overwhelming sub bass lines and yet still have them sit comfortably in the mix and not interfere with other parts of the song. I can't think of a good example at the moment, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. It's not something you can really pull off in every song.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

Well said. I haven't seriously played around with filters yet so I'll give that a try. For some more context I'm trying to build a sub-bass driven breakdown similar to this one, starts at about 2:10- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOfXWj1ABM

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Can you guys recommend a good compressor plugin and a good reverb plugin, for Mac? Right now for reverb I use Overloud Breverb which doesn't sound great to me, and for compression I'm just using the built-in Ableton compressor. I feel like it's hard to get recommendations for these things because if you google it you get a bunch of dudes doing professional audio work and Hans Zimmer poo poo and I just want to make club music so those things aren't really applicable. I'm fine with paying a bit if they're legit. Thanks!

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Compressor: The Glue http://www.cytomic.com/products
Reverb: Breeze http://www.2caudio.com/products/breeze/

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

Vector 7 posted:

Compressor: The Glue http://www.cytomic.com/products
Reverb: Breeze http://www.2caudio.com/products/breeze/

The Glue is an awesome compressor, way better than anything I've tried.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Those are great recommendations but I wanted to mention ValhallaRoom since it's also great and only 50 bucks.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
ValhallaRoom's interface/gui bugs the poo poo out of me for some reason :psyduck:

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

I need some gear recommendations for a crazy friend of mine. The story is long but here's the gist.

The guy suddenly decided to set up a bunch of DJing stuff for a local bar/amateur music venue. He got a bunch of expensive speakers and a bunch of acts already lined up. The man knows what he's doing as a sound tech and businessman, but for some reason wants my opinion on what type of gear his DJs will need to be professional level.

Now, being an amateur myself, I told him he should get a Software Mixer, and MIDIcontrollers for each deck (2 decks). Something that can connect to a computer via USB and work with a software program. He then asked me for specific professional models and brands.

That's where my experience ended. I need recommendations for companies and models that are particularly good on a professional level. This guy doesn't take much issue with money, but I'd say he's probably going to ballpark in the $400-500 range per item.

I cannot stop him or talk him down to less expensive stuff. I can only recommend good gear. He's going to drive out this morning and go get something no matter what. He's bipolar and manic, so the only thing I can do is steer him towards good hardware at this point.

So, if anyone can recommend good models or companies for mixers and controllers on an upper tier level of quality I'd be forever grateful. I don't want to see him blowing his money on something shiny but crap.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

For content : The Glue is my favourite comp. For reverbs, i'd have to recommend Virsyn Reflect. It's an awesome sounding hybrid reverb.

On the cheap, but not cheap sounding end, is Audio Damage's Eos.

Shes In Parties fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 7, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Named Ashamed posted:

I need some gear recommendations for a crazy friend of mine. The story is long but here's the gist.

The guy suddenly decided to set up a bunch of DJing stuff for a local bar/amateur music venue. He got a bunch of expensive speakers and a bunch of acts already lined up. The man knows what he's doing as a sound tech and businessman, but for some reason wants my opinion on what type of gear his DJs will need to be professional level.

Now, being an amateur myself, I told him he should get a Software Mixer, and MIDIcontrollers for each deck (2 decks). Something that can connect to a computer via USB and work with a software program. He then asked me for specific professional models and brands.

That's where my experience ended. I need recommendations for companies and models that are particularly good on a professional level. This guy doesn't take much issue with money, but I'd say he's probably going to ballpark in the $400-500 range per item.

I cannot stop him or talk him down to less expensive stuff. I can only recommend good gear. He's going to drive out this morning and go get something no matter what. He's bipolar and manic, so the only thing I can do is steer him towards good hardware at this point.

So, if anyone can recommend good models or companies for mixers and controllers on an upper tier level of quality I'd be forever grateful. I don't want to see him blowing his money on something shiny but crap.

You should probably post that in the DJing thread. Regardless, if you want my (also amateur) opinion, I would say that he should not go with a totally digital USB type interface if he's having a bunch of different people playing on it. Yeah, it's good to be forward looking, but if you're having a bunch of people play on the same setup, you're gonna want to use something that's much more universal and recognized. As it stands, not many DJs at all play on software mixers really, it only seems like there are because the ones who do also happen to be on the internet more often. Personally I'd say if you want to be more on the safe side, some CDJs or technics with a Rane mixer or Traktor certified mixer (or a normal mixer and additional sound interface for whichever software choice is more prevalent in your area) might give you the best of both worlds, accommodating for the DJs who are still in the Vinyl or CD realms but also allowing for other DJs to hook up their laptop. It also depends on the style of music that's going to be played too. If it's more hip hop kind of stuff, turntables might be more prevalent whereas in electronic music you're going to usually find CDJs mostly everywhere.

As for budget, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but $400-500 is honestly not that much for most DJ gear. The industry standards for turntables are technic 1200s, which nowadays are running at $900+ per table due to halted production (you might find them cheaper if they're used), and for CDJs there are the Pioneer CJD2000s which are only a measly $1600-1900 per CDJ. Yeah, midi controller software is tons cheaper for arguably better functionality and tools, but as it stands a lot of DJs still haven't moved on. Based on anecdotal evidence from what I've read here and on other boards, most DJs are still using CDJs and turntables, maybe mixed with an audio interface hookd up to a laptop for their music library. However, midi controllers themselves still have yet to reach truly widespread acceptance, so more often than at your friend's bar venue DJs would probably end up bringing their own equipment in, thus defeating the whole purpose of having anything installed in the first place.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

You should probably post that in the DJing thread. Regardless, if you want my (also amateur) opinion, I would say that he should not go with a totally digital USB type interface if he's having a bunch of different people playing on it. Yeah, it's good to be forward looking, but if you're having a bunch of people play on the same setup, you're gonna want to use something that's much more universal and recognized. As it stands, not many DJs at all play on software mixers really, it only seems like there are because the ones who do also happen to be on the internet more often. Personally I'd say if you want to be more on the safe side, some CDJs or technics with a Rane mixer or Traktor certified mixer (or a normal mixer and additional sound interface for whichever software choice is more prevalent in your area) might give you the best of both worlds, accommodating for the DJs who are still in the Vinyl or CD realms but also allowing for other DJs to hook up their laptop. It also depends on the style of music that's going to be played too. If it's more hip hop kind of stuff, turntables might be more prevalent whereas in electronic music you're going to usually find CDJs mostly everywhere.

As for budget, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but $400-500 is honestly not that much for most DJ gear. The industry standards for turntables are technic 1200s, which nowadays are running at $900+ per table due to halted production (you might find them cheaper if they're used), and for CDJs there are the Pioneer CJD2000s which are only a measly $1600-1900 per CDJ. Yeah, midi controller software is tons cheaper for arguably better functionality and tools, but as it stands a lot of DJs still haven't moved on. Based on anecdotal evidence from what I've read here and on other boards, most DJs are still using CDJs and turntables, maybe mixed with an audio interface hookd up to a laptop for their music library. However, midi controllers themselves still have yet to reach truly widespread acceptance, so more often than at your friend's bar venue DJs would probably end up bringing their own equipment in, thus defeating the whole purpose of having anything installed in the first place.
Thanks for the info. I definitely wasn't qualified to give him advice, so I told him as much.

Luckily, he'll be contracting with local college DJs and the like, so software compatible gear will probably work with the majority of the DJs he brings in...I hope.

Anyways, I'm sure he'll figure something out and talk it over at whatever store he goes to. He's manic, but not stupid.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Named Ashamed posted:

Luckily, he'll be contracting with local college DJs and the like, so software compatible gear will probably work with the majority of the DJs he brings in...I hope.

Ahahahahaha. No.

Most college stations are lucky to have a 20 year old surplus mixing board picked up cheap from another station that went out of business and a dual deck CD player with trays you have to nudge all the way shut after pressing the 'close' button because they're so worn out.

The only college stations likely to have a fully modern and digitalized DJ booth are ones with dedicated broadcasting and engineering degree programs.

He'll want a pair of good turntables, a pair of CD players, and a good mixer (like a Rane). If some techgeek wants to bring in his laptop and ipods, let the dork figure out how to hook it up, don't waste your time and money trying to buy a bunch of unneccesary gadgets that 99% of the people sitting in the booth will never touch. Anyone who fancies themself enough of a technophile to require MIDI interfaces and laptop hookups should be tech-savvy enough to figure out how to plug their lappy into an RCA jack.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 7, 2011

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone who fancies themself enough of a technophile to require MIDI interfaces and laptop hookups should be tech-savvy enough to figure out how to plug their lappy into an RCA jack.

You'd be surprised

"I don't know, that's not how I hook it up at home!!"

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

melee beats posted:

You'd be surprised

"I don't know, that's not how I hook it up at home!!"

Out of curiosity, where DOES one plug the laptop in in a normal booth setup?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chitin posted:

Out of curiosity, where DOES one plug the laptop in in a normal booth setup?

Up their own arse, preferably.

:rimshot:

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 8, 2014

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Are there any good VST guides you guys would recommend ? I'm using Reaper.

I don't really want to do all the sifting through plug-ins myself. I'd rather just get 5-10, and stick to them until I make them my bitches you know. And then from there, be able to teach myself how to use new ones more easily.

Ideally they would be free, and stable ones. Because using cracked ones may cause crashes no ?

Thanks.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

An0 posted:

I don't really want to do all the sifting through plug-ins myself. I'd rather just get 5-10, and stick to them until I make them my bitches you know. And then from there, be able to teach myself how to use new ones more easily.

Ideally they would be free, and stable ones. Because using cracked ones may cause crashes no ?

Thanks.

That's a pretty vague question. What kind of music are you making? Also, you can't talk about :filez: on here or you'll get banned, so careful with that. There are a couple of pretty drat good plugins out there, although they'll require more work to make them sound good compared to most commercial plugins. If you're making house, drum and bass, or dubstep, getting NI Massive, preferably the whole Komplete package, is a no brainer. Are you making hip hop? Do you plan on making orchestral style beats? That requires different plugins, none of which will be free most likely. Give us some more info to work with and we can tell you what kind of plugins to check out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

An0 posted:

Thanks.

I really like alphakanal's free automat VST synth:

http://blog.alphakanal.de/category/automat

You'll need to spend some time reading about how synthesizers work to get a good sense of what you're doing, but it's well worthwhile.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

An0 posted:

Thanks.

If you're looking to spend a little money on some really high quality VSTs...

NI Massive is really great for harder leads and bass. It's a big tool for most dubstep producers (Skrillex uses it in most, if not all, of his productions).

Sylenth1 is another amazing choice - it can be pretty much be used for anything. I find it's very versatile, and use it mainly for leads and those high energy sort of "poppy" sounds.

Nexus2 isn't so much a synth as ROM player with tweakable parameters - it's go high quality sounds, and a decent number of them, but in the long run you're better off getting something like what I listed above. A lot (and I mean a lot) of mainstream songs & producers use Nexus2... but you could still get away with using it. My experience is limited with Nexus2, but I loved it when I did play with it. I'd say this is a good place to start if you want to make hip/hop & pop music.

There are others worth mentioning, such as Vanguard and Alchemy, but I think Massive & Sylenth1 alone are all you'd really need.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

I really like alphakanal's free automat VST synth:

http://blog.alphakanal.de/category/automat

You'll need to spend some time reading about how synthesizers work to get a good sense of what you're doing, but it's well worthwhile.
That thing's pretty fun and it sounds pretty decent, but where's the drat modulation? No LFOs? No envelopes?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Vector 7 posted:

That thing's pretty fun and it sounds pretty decent, but where's the drat modulation? No LFOs? No envelopes?

On the top line, if you click mod, just the right of the panel label, you can edit envelope and add LFOs to any parameter on the main page. It took me a while to find it, too.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

On the top line, if you click mod, just the right of the panel label, you can edit envelope and add LFOs to any parameter on the main page. It took me a while to find it, too.
I knew it just had to have it somewhere, it's too nice of a synth not to have modulation. Thanks!

[edit#1] I can get some pretty cool sounds out of this thing now. The verb and delay sound pretty good. My only wish would be to have two, or even three, assignable modulation sources. That would be great. As it is though, it's pretty great for a freebie.

[edit#2!] Oh, snap! This thing actually has 14 assignable modulation sources. Under the modulation tab, look at the bottom. There's "mod 01", "mod 02", etc. loving awesome!

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 8, 2011

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

The Dark Wind posted:

That's a pretty vague question. What kind of music are you making? Also, you can't talk about :filez: on here or you'll get banned, so careful with that. There are a couple of pretty drat good plugins out there, although they'll require more work to make them sound good compared to most commercial plugins. If you're making house, drum and bass, or dubstep, getting NI Massive, preferably the whole Komplete package, is a no brainer. Are you making hip hop? Do you plan on making orchestral style beats? That requires different plugins, none of which will be free most likely. Give us some more info to work with and we can tell you what kind of plugins to check out.

Yeah it is kind of vague. I just realized this link http://www.kvraudio.com/plugin-ranks.php was in the op, with free plug-ins, ranked by users.

I'll check out Sylenth1 and the NI ones.

I don't really have a set genre I want to make music in. I guess on one hand it would be more UK Bass oriented, more in the Burial, Zomby, Mala, WBeeza, L2S vibes - and I love Dilla. I definitely don't wan't to sound like Skrillex/Datsik/and co.

And on the other hand, I play guitar, and I've got either Guitar Rig I think - so I would need VSTs to make more acoustic drums as well (Drumkit from Hell is the standard no ?)

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
On top of what everyone else has suggested, U-he ACE. It's very affordable and honestly one of -the- best software synths I have ever heard. If you want something that has an analogue hardware esque character, it works well. I even use it over my Mopho for basslines a lot of the time.

It's a bit of a CPU hog though.

I'd also recommend Sylenth as a general subtractive synth, like others, and -definitely- get Massive if you write house or dubstep. I write both. It's a staple. On top of that, Tone2 Gladiator is excellent. Unique sound, and really versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

An0 posted:

Yeah it is kind of vague. I just realized this link http://www.kvraudio.com/plugin-ranks.php was in the op, with free plug-ins, ranked by users.

I'll check out Sylenth1 and the NI ones.

I don't really have a set genre I want to make music in. I guess on one hand it would be more UK Bass oriented, more in the Burial, Zomby, Mala, WBeeza, L2S vibes - and I love Dilla. I definitely don't wan't to sound like Skrillex/Datsik/and co.

And on the other hand, I play guitar, and I've got either Guitar Rig I think - so I would need VSTs to make more acoustic drums as well (Drumkit from Hell is the standard no ?)

Sylenth1 is always a good choice. For that kind of music, maybe Massive and Absynth might be up your alley? As for acoustic drums, I think Superior Drummer (with The Metal Foundry) sounds way better than Drumkit from Hell, but that's just me. Also check out the Steven Slater Drums. I've never used them but I have a friend who swears by them.

• Locked thread