Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

How hard was putting in the zx6r shock? Did you have to fabricate anything to make it fit?

I like turning wrenches but I'm not exactly a fabricator.

The shock I got was from an 08-09 and it bolts in. The only thing you need to do is cut the battery box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Clank posted:

Does anyone know what the name of this headlight is? Or something similar? I've been thinking about converting my FZ6 to full naked and I've been looking for headlights like that.

I've got a pair of 5-3/4" Aztec8 headlights on my SV1, their 4" kit looks remarkably similar to what's on twd's future bike there.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

GanjamonII posted:

The shock I got was from an 08-09 and it bolts in. The only thing you need to do is cut the battery box.

I have a 2001sv650s, what about you?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

I've got a pair of 5-3/4" Aztec8 headlights on my SV1, their 4" kit looks remarkably similar to what's on twd's future bike there.

Thanks, that's just what I'm looking for.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Clank posted:

Does anyone know what the name of this headlight is? Or something similar? I've been thinking about converting my FZ6 to full naked and I've been looking for headlights like that.

I believe the technical name is "ugly". Try searching for "ugly headlight" and you should find it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

I have a 2001sv650s, what about you?

Mine's an 06. Actually you may be able to move your battery box rather than cut it from memory. If you do some searching eg on svrider you'll find a ton of people who have done it. There is also shocks that will fit without cutting anything (I think gsxr but I don't remember the year) which is probably a better solution as cutting the battery box means you also need to reposition/replace your battery.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

I believe the technical name is "ugly". Try searching for "ugly headlight" and you should find it.

They look worlds better than a big rear end single bucket to me. V:shobon:V

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Is there an aftermarket for instrument clusters? I'm rocking the stock one on my '02 sv650n right now - I'd like something a little more modern.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

harm0nic posted:

Is there an aftermarket for instrument clusters? I'm rocking the stock one on my '02 sv650n right now - I'd like something a little more modern.

Vapor?
http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Just got a Scorpion hi-viz yellow/green helmet to match the yellow SV. Cagers better notice me, swiftly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Just got a Scorpion hi-viz yellow/green helmet to match the yellow SV. Cagers better notice me, swiftly.

don't count on it :( my gold bike, white jacket and hi/low HIDs didn't help. I hope it does help though!

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

frozenphil posted:

sirbeefalot posted:

They look worlds better than a big rear end single bucket to me. V:shobon:V

The first GIS result for "ugly headlight" is this:

:smugdog:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

harm0nic posted:

I have an Acewell on my sv, its the most basic model and was a piece of piss to wire up. I'd have preferred to get a Veypor as it can use the stock speedo output and generally has way cooler features but i got the acewell for free so i'm happy with it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/edmacmahon/Sv#5583981453203032130

edit, also thats a vrod headlight in case anyone was going to ask

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Clank posted:

If you don't mind spending some money and/or are lazy, this company offers a ready-built kit that splices in nicely. I bought a bucket off them for my CBR a while ago and it has functioned well.

http://www.xpostreetfighter.com/detail.aspx?ID=28

Edit: Didn't read through thread, the Aztec thing looks like the same deal pretty much.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 29, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Edit: Didn't read through thread, the Aztec thing looks like the same deal pretty much.

Man, they look drat near identical, down to the brackets and optional turn signals and everything. I wonder if they're getting parts from a common supplier or if the place you linked is just buying and reshipping the Aztec8 stuff for a small profit or something.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Some more photos of the incoming:

http://i51.tinypic.com/312fsxt.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/4j1c2x.jpg

Before the de-S'ing:

http://i53.tinypic.com/20l1nbc.jpg

Forgot to mention that this bike also has a Honda cbr F3 rear wheel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, that is exactly what I want after I ditch my zx6r.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Ditching a ZX6R for a SV?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cheaper all around and probably a better track choice (no power as a crutch).

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Friday is the day I begin my hunt for my first bike. Unfortunately all SV's (even going back to 2001) are pretty drat expensive compared to what you guys pay. :(

Still, I'm pretty loving stoked. Also, I'm scared I will drop the bike at the dealership since I haven't ridden at all this season.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So my K3 has been declared totaled by insurance, I get to keep the bike and do whatever I want with it.

So I'll be parting it out... hmm. I know I'll be doing the easy stuff (gas tank, radiator, slip-on, etc.) but what should I do in terms of the rest - the engine and frame? Should I strip the SV of all easily-taken-off parts and then sell the rest as a whole?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

the walkin dude posted:

So my K3 has been declared totaled by insurance, I get to keep the bike and do whatever I want with it.

So I'll be parting it out... hmm. I know I'll be doing the easy stuff (gas tank, radiator, slip-on, etc.) but what should I do in terms of the rest - the engine and frame? Should I strip the SV of all easily-taken-off parts and then sell the rest as a whole?

Maaaannnnnn, buy a cheap go kart and mount the engine and stuff to the frame. That vtwin has the torque to pull it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

Maaaannnnnn, buy a cheap go kart and mount the engine and stuff to the frame. That vtwin has the torque to pull it.

You mean has the torque to spin the tires all day any time in any gear. :v:

If it were my bike, I'd list it for 1500-2k as is and see if you get any bites. Otherwise, I'd probably fix it as cheaply as possible and sell it for somewhere in the 2-3k range.

As long as the frame isn't bent, you don't need more than a few hours and ~$300-400 in parts to have the bike completely back up and running.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
hay guys, any suggestions for a commuting luggage setup? I hate taking a backpack with me everywhere and want an easy removable topbox or some other lockable thing. I take a pillion sometimes so dont want it to block the pillion seat either.

to go on an 08 SV650N

cheers

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Can someone repost the motorcycle with the lawn mower?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yautja posted:

hay guys, any suggestions for a commuting luggage setup? I hate taking a backpack with me everywhere and want an easy removable topbox or some other lockable thing. I take a pillion sometimes so dont want it to block the pillion seat either.

to go on an 08 SV650N

cheers

I had a SW Motech rack and Givi monokey topcase. Very solid and did not block the pillion seat. I have the same setup on my Bandit now. Hardracks and locking luggage are awesome and worth the cash. The topcase was 45 liters and could fit 2 full face helmets (for reference) or generally a bunch of crap, and even stupidly overloaded feels fine while riding. If you get a plain case without lights and interior organizing straps it's cheaper. Just throw a towel in there to keep small stuff from bouncing around.

I never had a pillion on with the case though, I know the rack mounts behind the seat but it might be cramped there with a passenger and the case? Not exactly the most spacious pillion seat to begin with.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Infinotize posted:

I had a SW Motech rack and Givi monokey topcase.

I have this setup (the case I use is the E45). It works pretty well. I can fit all of my gear (jacket, boots, pants, gloves) in it (helmet hangs from the helmet lock under the pillion seat). And so it's great if I'm going someplace where I don't want to haul around gear, like hiking.

The rack was simple to put on, and the adapter plate takes three quick screw turns to put on the rack. I have a screwdriver (like this) on the same keychain as the luggage key that works perfectly. With the adapter plate off, it's innocent-looking, unlike some luggage racks I've seen.

Since it's a top rack, it doesn't extend any farther out than my elbows do when I'm riding, so I don't have to worry about it when lane splitting or anything. It seems to handle loads just fine. I've had cases of beer and other moderately heavy things in there like camping gear, and nothing bad seems to have come of it. Of course, it does change the balance a little, but I've never had any problems adjusting. I guess it looks a little odd and attracts more attention than normal, but I don't mind.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
oh man, a gokart would be so awesome. too bad i'm so mechanically inept.

how do I look for hairline fractures on my frame? would those fractures be obvious or do I need special tools? when it gets warmer, like, 50-60 degrees (gently caress you new york state), I'll be going after my bike and taking it apart.

my key is bent from smashing into that truck. when the insurance adjuster came by to inspect the SV, I tried jiggling the key into the SV to see if it'd turn. it refused to do so. crap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

the walkin dude posted:

how do I look for hairline fractures on my frame? would those fractures be obvious or do I need special tools? \
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=1207

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do any goons have a curvy SV wiring harness they'd be willing to let go of for cheap? I've been having intermittent problems with the 4-pin connector that plugs into the top of the starter relay / main fuse assembly.

SVrider thinks that the connector is the 4 Position .090 Sealed Female Connector availble here: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SMSL/smsl.html

Nobody updated that thread confirming if that was the right connector. I'll probably end up getting the Sumitomo connector, hoping its the right part, and crimping it on, as the other option is to buy a harness just for this one connector.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'm gonna be taking my MSF in just a few weeks, and I'm looking for a good first bike. I was originally planning on picking up a Ninja 250R, but then one of my friends recommended the SV650S. At first, I thought it'd be too much bike to handle, but after reading some reviews online, a lot of people actually say it's a great beginner's bike.

What do you guys think about http://iowacity.craigslist.org/mcy/2269899573.html? The pictures look awesome, and the upgrades look nice, but I'm not sure about the price. Is $3000 reasonable for a 2001 SV650S?

[edit]
Looks like the KBB retail value is ~$2500, probably a little less since it's been dropped, but I don't know how much those extras he has add to the value. What do you guys think?

[edit2]
If this helps, he sent me this in an email when I asked him about it:

quote:

The pictures are from this summer before that happened. It's got scuffs on the right side on the bottom of the faring and on the pipe. The brake also got bent and when i bent it back the tip broke off. I used an old trick with a bolt to fix it, and rode it ever since with no problems. If you wanted it fixed the part is pretty cheap. I just didn't see the need.

He's gonna send me updated pictures tomorrow showing the damage.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 6, 2011

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Yeah that really isn't worth anything over 2k to be honest and I'd hesitate at that price. I think you can find a better deal to be honest. You'll have enough to worry about being a new rider - you might as well remove bike issues from the equation for the time being. Unless the guy comes down a lottt (not likely if he is listing a bike like that at 3k) on the price you're better off just walking imo. Plenty of other fish (SV's) in the sea.

Also, don't ever let "extras" fool you. A cheap yosh slip-on, corbin seat, and "flush-mounts" don't add poo poo to the value. Consider any add-ons to the bike to be almost completely negated with respect to resale price as soon as you put them on. Unless you're putting on a big money Ohlins shock or something you typically don't see added value to a bike. Expect mods to be something to make you enjoy the bike more, not something you'll gain money off.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 6, 2011

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

I paid $2200 for my '02 SV650.

Unless he's got aftermarket parts to justify $3k, lowball the poo poo out of him.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

JP Money posted:

Also, don't ever let "extras" fool you. A cheap yosh slip-on, corbin seat, and "flush-mounts" don't add poo poo to the value. Consider any add-ons to the bike to be almost completely negated with respect to resale price as soon as you put them on. Unless you're putting on a big money Ohlins shock or something you typically don't see added value to a bike. Expect mods to be something to make you enjoy the bike more, not something you'll gain money off.

Even an ohlins and stuff won't add that much value. If people are smart, they pull the easily swapped aftermarket stuff and sell it separately. Ohlins will add about $200-300 to the price of a bike but is worth around $500-600 off the bike.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

drat and im having trouble selling my 2003 SV650S for $2500 what enticed you about his ad so I can put it into mine?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JP Money posted:

Yeah that really isn't worth anything over 2k to be honest and I'd hesitate at that price. I think you can find a better deal to be honest. You'll have enough to worry about being a new rider - you might as well remove bike issues from the equation for the time being. Unless the guy comes down a lottt (not likely if he is listing a bike like that at 3k) on the price you're better off just walking imo. Plenty of other fish (SV's) in the sea.

This is really great to know. I'm gonna ask $1800 once I see the pictures and let him work me up a little. Cheaper is certainly OK by me, especially since it'll be my first bike. There's not a huge used motorcycle market around here (Iowa City area), much less used SVs, so this one jumped out at me.

schreibs posted:

drat and im having trouble selling my 2003 SV650S for $2500 what enticed you about his ad so I can put it into mine?

I like the fact that his pictures were good (he shows large pictures and didn't upload them to CL which scales them down horribly), and he describes very clearly what mods have been done and the other relevant info (it's been dropped, mileage, etc.). If your CL ad doesn't have pictures and have at least a good solid paragraph describing how you took care of it (or didn't), the condition it's in, etc., I don't even bother with it. That's a sign of laziness, and if you're too lazy to post pictures and other relevant info, that tells me you were probably too lazy to treat the bike well.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 6, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

[edit]
Looks like the KBB retail value is ~$2500, probably a little less since it's been dropped, but I don't know how much those extras he has add to the value. What do you guys think?

Honestly, aftermarket parts mean nothing. When you buy them you sign a contract that states "You will not get anywhere close to what you paid for these when you try to sell them".

Example, on my totalled 07 Daytona, I had almost 4k worth of aftermarket poo poo on it and the insurance company gave me $630 for all of it.

Don't let people try to upsell you on that stuff, it's not worth much when it comes to selling a bike.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

SaNChEzZ posted:

Honestly, aftermarket parts mean nothing. When you buy them you sign a contract that states "You will not get anywhere close to what you paid for these when you try to sell them".

Example, on my totalled 07 Daytona, I had almost 4k worth of aftermarket poo poo on it and the insurance company gave me $630 for all of it.

Don't let people try to upsell you on that stuff, it's not worth much when it comes to selling a bike.

That's kind of lovely insurance, mine will cover up to $3000 of aftermarket parts without paying more, more if you want to increase your premium. And my last insurance company would pay out 70% of aftermarket part value.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NinjaCthulhu posted:

That's kind of lovely insurance, mine will cover up to $3000 of aftermarket parts without paying more, more if you want to increase your premium. And my last insurance company would pay out 70% of aftermarket part value.

Progressive, right?

quote:

1. “Accessory” means equipment, devices, enhancements, and changes, other than
those which are original manufacturer installed, which alter the appearance or performance of a covered motorcycle. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. any electronic equipment, antennas, and other devices used exclusively to
send or receive audio, visual, or data signals, or play back recorded media, that
are permanently installed on a covered motorcycle using bolts or brackets,
including slide-out brackets;
b. sidecars;
c. custom paint, custom plating, and custom exhaust;
d. trailers; and
e. safety riding apparel

“Mechanical parts” means operational parts on a vehicle that wear out over time
or have a finite useful life or duration typically shorter than the life of the vehicle as
a whole. Mechanical parts do not include external crash parts, wheels, paint, or
windshields and other glass

Don't count on them covering anything but the exhaust... maybe they will, but I wouldn't bet on it. They can easily call your Ohlins suspension a mechanical part. :(

They also have this tidbit in the policy documents

quote:

Coverage under this Part IV will not apply for loss:
3. to any vehicle resulting from, or sustained during practice or preparation for:
a. any pre-arranged or organized:
(i) racing;
(ii) stunting;
(iii) speed, or demolition contest or activity; or
b. any riding activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack, racecourse, or during any closed course event.
This exclusion does not apply to use of a motorcycle for escorting participants in
charitable racing events;
Trackdays are excluded right there in subsection b.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

NinjaCthulhu posted:

It wasn't my insurance, it was the lady's bottom of the barrel, barely legal California insurance that stuck it to me. But whatever, all those parts are on my new bike now.

• Locked thread