Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mak0rz posted:

Imposter syndrome?

Pub-Quiz Cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So this is stupid one from someone who's thought himself a smartphone geek, I guess I just never thought about the underlying carrier network:

Why do phone reviews or lists like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTC_phones

Refer to a phone as being either gsm or cdma? I thought gsm was pretty much gone and we're all using some form of new cdma now with the 3g and 4g networks?

I have at&t and my phones I know have gsm modes but I thought it was just for fallback if I go out in the country or something. It still uses the sim to register like gsm I guess since I can still change phones by changing the sim. And I know you still can't with any amount of unlocking ever use a tmobile or att phone on verizon or sprint or vice versa.

I can't make sense of any of the articles about cell network types on wikipedia.

Also, my phone at work, a verizon blackberry can't get on the internet when you're in a call. I always thought this was a function of the phone but I saw an AT&T commercial last night saying their "the only network that lets you talk and surf at the same time". I thought talking and "surfing" was neat when I first got my blackjack in 2007 but I guess I've been taking it for granted since. Can you really not do this outside of at&t? That poo poo is whack.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Whats everyone's opinion on unusual interview questions?

We're currently in the process of hiring a new employee and I've always been a big fan of unusual interview questions cause I'm a sadist(and I like people with a good sense of humor, wit, creativity, and confidence). Questions like:

'If you had 6 months with no obligations or financial constraints - what would you do with your time?'

'If you could have a super power, what would it be and what would you do with it?'

If I do choose to ask these questions - I would add 'real' questions as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
How would you change this interview process?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Whats everyone's opinion on unusual interview questions?

We're currently in the process of hiring a new employee and I've always been a big fan of unusual interview questions cause I'm a sadist(and I like people with a good sense of humor, wit, creativity, and confidence). Questions like:

'If you had 6 months with no obligations or financial constraints - what would you do with your time?'

'If you could have a super power, what would it be and what would you do with it?'

If I do choose to ask these questions - I would add 'real' questions as well.

It seems to me that with these questions, you're not just trying to push the prospective employee mentally, but morally. Because for both of these, the answer you're getting would not be the real answer, so you're either looking for a saint or someone who will lie to your face to get a job.

Question 1:
You will hear, "I would donate expensive things to disaster areas like Japan and Haiti and work to coordinate things and help people.
The real answer: "loving every movie starlet who can be bought in my luxury penthouse while various Iron Chefs prepare me the finest grub."

Question 2:
You will hear, "I would like super strength so that I could help people in danger."
The real answer: "The ability to accurately predict sporting results, a la Back to the Future Part 2."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wagonburner posted:

Refer to a phone as being either gsm or cdma? I thought gsm was pretty much gone and we're all using some form of new cdma now with the 3g and 4g networks?

I have at&t and my phones I know have gsm modes but I thought it was just for fallback if I go out in the country or something. It still uses the sim to register like gsm I guess since I can still change phones by changing the sim. And I know you still can't with any amount of unlocking ever use a tmobile or att phone on verizon or sprint or vice versa.

GSM and CDMA are both still going strong- CDMA on Verizon and Sprint, GSM on AT&T and T-Mobile. Both of them will die at the same time when LTE is introduced (we hope).

quote:

Also, my phone at work, a verizon blackberry can't get on the internet when you're in a call. I always thought this was a function of the phone but I saw an AT&T commercial last night saying their "the only network that lets you talk and surf at the same time". I thought talking and "surfing" was neat when I first got my blackjack in 2007 but I guess I've been taking it for granted since. Can you really not do this outside of at&t? That poo poo is whack.

Yes, that's a limitation of CDMA that GSM does not have. So you can't talk and surf on any Verizon phones to this day, but you can on AT&T.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
UMTS, the 3G version of GSM does use code division multiple access (CDMA) for the physical layer instead of time division multiple access (TDMA) like in 2G GSM and Digital AMPS (Digital AMPS is what most people were talking about years ago when they talked about TDMA phones by the way), but that's the only thing it has in common with CDMAone and CDMA2000 which are what people talk about when they mean CDMA usually. Aside from having the same channel access method, "CDMA" phones and 3G GSM aka UMTS phones have very little in common.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
How do you pronounce the word, serif? I usually pronounce it like sheriff, but I can imagine several other possible pronunciations. It's not something that comes up in conversation a lot for me, but it's about to.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Saphire_flames posted:

smaller transistors allow them to put more on a chip which leads to faster processors. that's the main reason.
Thanks for this, but I still don't fully understand. What technology didn't exist 10 years ago that makes it possible to make such small transistors today?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fuckpot posted:

Thanks for this, but I still don't fully understand. What technology didn't exist 10 years ago that makes it possible to make such small transistors today?

It's not that we couldn't do it at all. It's that we couldn't do it reliably, in large quantities. It's simply a hard thing to do, and it takes time to get good at it.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Eyeball posted:

How do you pronounce the word, serif? I usually pronounce it like sheriff, but I can imagine several other possible pronunciations. It's not something that comes up in conversation a lot for me, but it's about to.

Like "sheriff", sans the 'h'.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?serif001.wav=serif

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Can someone please answer my question about alternatives to iTunes for non-Apple MP3 players like the Sansa clip? Do you guys just use Songbird?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dudebro posted:

Can someone please answer my question about alternatives to iTunes for non-Apple MP3 players like the Sansa clip? Do you guys just use Songbird?

Just use Winamp or Windows Media Player. They both do what you want.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Volkeren posted:

So this week my grandfather had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his jaw, and part of that operation involved transplating veins from one of his legs into his jaw... presumably to direct arterial blood flow?

My question is, what harm will removing veins that were actively serving a purpose in his legs (circulating blood, etc) do to him? That is, will removing those veins from his legs cause any harm to the tissues in his legs, or something else? Does the body just try to get along with less veinous blood return, or is there any way the body can regenerate those veins post surgery? I'm really curious, but am having a hell of a time finding any information about this online owing to the difficult nature of how to phrase the question.

My sister works in a cardiothoracic surgeon's office as a PA who removes this vein from the patient's leg. Her office uses the vein for use in coronary bypass surgery, but I'd assume that the procedure is much the same, so I asked her.

They use the Great saphenous vein which is a superficial vein (close to the skin) and doesn't carry as much blood as deep veins do. Basically its a non-essential vein and blood simply finds a different route to take after its removed.

Also, the vein doesn't regenerate after removal.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jeffrey Colon posted:

My sister works in a cardiothoracic surgeon's office as a PA who removes this vein from the patient's leg. Her office uses the vein for use in coronary bypass surgery, but I'd assume that the procedure is much the same, so I asked her.

They use the Great saphenous vein which is a superficial vein (close to the skin) and doesn't carry as much blood as deep veins do. Basically its a non-essential vein and blood simply finds a different route to take after its removed.

It was also an episode of MASH because that was where the procedure was first used.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SlightButSteady posted:

It was also an episode of MASH because that was where the procedure was first used.

You mean, it was fictionally portrayed in M*A*S*H and then doctors started using it in the real world, or that it was first used in the Korean War?

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Pretty sure they mean the Korean war, dude.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a question about Paypal's current fee structure that the site was loathe to answer.

It used to be that, in order to receive transfers from a credit card, you had to upgrade to a Premier account which meant you would be charged fees on all transfers. Transfers from a bank account were free as long as you didn't upgrade to Premiere.

Here's the current fee structure:

My question is, are the fees for bank vs CC transfers now independent of whether you have a CC-authorized Premier account?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 5, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
The way your asking is kind of complicating, but to answer your question (I think):

Paypal transfers to/from bank accounts and paypal accounts are fee free, regardless of whether you have a premier account or not.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Barnum posted:

Pretty sure they mean the Korean war, dude.

So am I, but it wouldn't be the first time something was "invented" for a TV show and then done in reality.

Volkeren
Oct 25, 2007

Laws are for people who don't breed killer monsters for a living.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

That makes sense, and thanks much for taking the time to answer.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Imposter syndrome?

This one is close enough. Thanks!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

I use mediamonkey. I actually paid for the upgrade, but I'm sure the free version accepts podcast rss feeds.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
Is there any tool or feature that would tell you which media (TV Series, Movies, Bands) were liked by the largest number of your Facebook friends?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

tarepanda posted:

You mean, it was fictionally portrayed in M*A*S*H and then doctors started using it in the real world, or that it was first used in the Korean War?

Sorry, I should have added that the show's writers occasionally wrote into the episodes surgical breakthroughs that happened during the Korean War. The one I mentioned was a particular important one, I recall.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
So my car was broken into last night, but so far I haven't been able to tell if anything is actually missing. The most valuable thing that was in there I know they missed, and anything that might have been taken that I haven't noticed yet was probably of minor value. They even left the change in my cup holder and some nice sunglasses.

I park my car in my building's lot which is pretty isolated and safe, in a safe section of a major city. Last night the weather was nice so I left my window open a crack. It seems the thief wedged their arm down the crack to open the lock, and ruffled through my arm rest and glove compartment, leaving them open and their contents on the floor. Thankfully they didn't break a window (although they might have jammed the mechanism, haven't checked yet) but the interesting thing is that in getting through the crack, they left fingerprints all over the window, nice clear ones. I'll be notifying my building management company about the matter, but my question is, should I file any sort of notice with the police? I can't honestly say anything important was taken, but will they care about having concrete fingerprint evidence of a local car thief? Or is the matter probably not too important for them?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Elijya posted:

So my car was broken into last night, but so far I haven't been able to tell if anything is actually missing. The most valuable thing that was in there I know they missed, and anything that might have been taken that I haven't noticed yet was probably of minor value. They even left the change in my cup holder and some nice sunglasses.

I park my car in my building's lot which is pretty isolated and safe, in a safe section of a major city. Last night the weather was nice so I left my window open a crack. It seems the thief wedged their arm down the crack to open the lock, and ruffled through my arm rest and glove compartment, leaving them open and their contents on the floor. Thankfully they didn't break a window (although they might have jammed the mechanism, haven't checked yet) but the interesting thing is that in getting through the crack, they left fingerprints all over the window, nice clear ones. I'll be notifying my building management company about the matter, but my question is, should I file any sort of notice with the police? I can't honestly say anything important was taken, but will they care about having concrete fingerprint evidence of a local car thief? Or is the matter probably not too important for them?

I say definitely call the police. Nothing may have been stolen but (and I am not a cop so this is just my lay opinion) it might be useful if they already have someone in the system that matches the prints, or if it happened multiple times that night and they want to establish a larger case, etc. And if the window mechanism was indeed damaged, it probably (I am not an insurance adjuster either) helps to have a police report.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

Golbez posted:

I say definitely call the police. Nothing may have been stolen but (and I am not a cop so this is just my lay opinion) it might be useful if they already have someone in the system that matches the prints

If you call the police, will they actually come and get prints off your car? I thought that only happened in movies, or to rich people.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

a computer posted:

If you call the police, will they actually come and get prints off your car? I thought that only happened in movies, or to rich people.

Nope, it's very common. A few years ago somebody busted into my buddies house and stole his video games. They finger printed the poo poo out of his place, it took us days to get all the powder out of his kitchen.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Pogo the Clown posted:

Nope, it's very common. A few years ago somebody busted into my buddies house and stole his video games. They finger printed the poo poo out of his place, it took us days to get all the powder out of his kitchen.

Would you mind telling me if he lived in a large metropolis with a normally busy police force, or an area where perhaps the police don't usually have a lot to do?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Elijya posted:

Would you mind telling me if he lived in a large metropolis with a normally busy police force, or an area where perhaps the police don't usually have a lot to do?

Even in those circumstances they'll probably send someone over to dust for prints. Like Golbez said, there's always a chance they can file away multiple cases if they get a match. And your insurance company will almost certainly require a police reference if you do notice damage later.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Somewhat anti-climactic: I called and was bounced around between a few dispatchers then an officer who called my district headquarters and called me back. Apparently, there are no print-trained officers available to come by today. Since nothing is apparently taken or damaged (window works fine), I didn't see any reason to file a report, but she said I could call back if I changed my mind.

I ran into a property manager earlier and told him about it. He said the building security cam is operating again and offered to look through last nights footage and get back to me if he finds anything. I guess if he does and there's someone visible on it, maybe I'll call back.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Dudebro posted:

What do people do to automatically get podcasts and organize music without iTunes? I would get a clip just from reading some of the posts here, but that's the only thing I'm worried about. I have all my podcast feeds set up in iTunes. The music I'm not so worried about. I don't have that much now and I need to reorganize anyway. My nano is the squareish one and 8GB so it's running out now. 8GB clip and 16GB SD would be a massive upgrade.

Do the podcasts download in mp3 format? You could still use itunes to download them and just copy and paste them over to the mp3 player.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Elijya posted:

The fingerprints are going to turn out to be your own and your mind will be blown by your rad friends' elaborate prank.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Underflow posted:

Even in those circumstances they'll probably send someone over to dust for prints. Like Golbez said, there's always a chance they can file away multiple cases if they get a match. And your insurance company will almost certainly require a police reference if you do notice damage later.

I've had my car broken into radio (attempted) stolen, completely destrying the dash, AC controls, the works. Called the police of course, they showed up to fill out the crime report (used for statistical purposes at the very least) and left. They laughed at me when I asked why they weren't taking prints off the inside windsheild where they were putting their hands for leverage. They informed me that prints were taken in large part only for violent crimes. I stopped watching CSI.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Darth123123 posted:

I've had my car broken into radio (attempted) stolen, completely destrying the dash, AC controls, the works. Called the police of course, they showed up to fill out the crime report (used for statistical purposes at the very least) and left. They laughed at me when I asked why they weren't taking prints off the inside windsheild where they were putting their hands for leverage. They informed me that prints were taken in large part only for violent crimes. I stopped watching CSI.

Ah well, I suppose it really depends on the available resources of the PD in question then. A friend of mine in Berlin had plainclothesmen come over to investigate a minor break-in at his shop (not even $50 in the till); another friend in Paris got the full fingerprint show for an attempted burglary - nothing stolen, just a busted door lock.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Elijya posted:

Sorry I'm a bit late back to this. He lived in the not-so-great suburbs of a major US city. Not exactly inner city Detroit, but the cops there definitely had other things they could have been working on.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
In LA not only would they not take prints, they would tell you to take pictures and bring them down to the local station to file a report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

They always fingerprint here in Sydney (in my experience) even though they know the likelyhood is that the prints aren't theirs or they will be useless.

But I guess even petty crime is a lot lower here.