Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Carlton Banks posted:

Yeah I just got that, too bad. On the bright side, I got an offer for a state auditor job this afternoon, so at least that will tide me over until another IRS opportunity comes along :unsmith:

Rumor in my office is that we shouldn't expect anything with a hiring date during this fiscal year. In other words, the next RA class would start in October if not later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
I have hope for the budget talks tomorrow.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
Hi there. I am another college student due to graduate with little or no idea how to embark on my job search. However, I would love to work in DC (for a number of reasons) or abroad and have an interest in working for the government (especially in the field of foreign affairs). I am wondering about my prospects based in my resume and credentials. I will be graduating with a BA from Mcgill University, Major in economics, Minor in East Asian languages. I speak intermediate Spanish, and conversational Korean. I am happy and willing to learn new languages as well. Also I am a good writer. What could/should I expect with the above credentials? Sorry if there are a bunch of others in here asking for advice as well, but I really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

Quodio Stotes posted:

Hi there. I am another college student due to graduate with little or no idea how to embark on my job search. However, I would love to work in DC (for a number of reasons) or abroad and have an interest in working for the government (especially in the field of foreign affairs). I am wondering about my prospects based in my resume and credentials. I will be graduating with a BA from Mcgill University, Major in economics, Minor in East Asian languages. I speak intermediate Spanish, and conversational Korean. I am happy and willing to learn new languages as well. Also I am a good writer. What could/should I expect with the above credentials? Sorry if there are a bunch of others in here asking for advice as well, but I really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance

It would be better if you could clarify what type of work you'd like to do. Diplomacy, think tanks, foreign service, writing & analysis? Your credentials put you in a huge pool of similar applicants for any of these things, but they do give you a good shot at numerous internships for advanced degrees and programs, and sometimes entry-level hiring.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Quodio Stotes posted:

For fed jobs, a lot of waiting followed by rejection.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

Zoo posted:

It would be better if you could clarify what type of work you'd like to do. Diplomacy, think tanks, foreign service, writing & analysis? Your credentials put you in a huge pool of similar applicants for any of these things, but they do give you a good shot at numerous internships for advanced degrees and programs, and sometimes entry-level hiring.

I would basically work in any of the categories you mentioned.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For fed jobs, a lot of waiting followed by rejection.

This, basically has been my case as well.

A Master's would make it a tad easier if you can, otherwise lower your sights a tad and just focus on getting your foot in the door. Data entry, cafeteria clerk, whatever.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

This, basically has been my case as well.

A Master's would make it a tad easier if you can, otherwise lower your sights a tad and just focus on getting your foot in the door. Data entry, cafeteria clerk, whatever.

This. Also keep looking for a job in the private sector too, since it can take a long, long time to even hear back anything positive from the federal government. That's my path right now, and since I don't have to focus on finding a job to live, it allows me to focus on what careers I'd like to follow in gov, and gives me experience to put on my federal resume to apply at higher grades besides just GS-05 and Gs-07 (if they accept SAA).

With the way things are looking right now, unless they pass a budget, there won't be any major hiring going on. And if they do (and they will) cut the budget from agencies, don't expect them to be hiring all that much over the rest of the fiscal year.

VanishXZone
Apr 1, 2010
Anyone who applied for the IRS Revenue Agent position should check their email, as they're still considering applications and the last email was in error. An IRS April Fools joke, who could have guessed?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

At this point, a small part of me wants the impending shutdown to happen just so the next time we face one I can be all like "Yeah man, I remember the last time that happened. poo poo was crazy, yo."

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I'd like it to happen when I could afford to throw away a few paychecks.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
How is Defense going to be affected by this? Someone told me that they were already funded for the year...so does that mean I don't have to worry about my EOD on Monday getting canceled?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

How is Defense going to be affected by this? Someone told me that they were already funded for the year...so does that mean I don't have to worry about my EOD on Monday getting canceled?

No. Defense is not funded. Nothing has been funded for FY11. No appropriations bills have been passed. That's why even though delays for funding are relatively routine lately, this is a big deal because it hasn't lasted this long in ages. This is the longest in 48 years that we've gone without a Defense bill. Your EOD on Monday will be canceled if there's a shutdown this weekend.

That said, there's still a fair chance that a compromise will be found before then. Sit tight and standby. You're going to have your job either way.

edit: by the way, welcome to the U.S. Federal Government.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 6, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Quodio Stotes posted:

I would basically work in any of the categories you mentioned.

Check the various intelligence agency websites (cia.gov, dia.mil, nsa.gov, nga.mil; some of these require the www in the URL) for internship and entry-level opportunities; they have processes for application on their sites. It sounds like a half-assed answer, but really this is your best way to start. Be on the look-out for job fairs and hiring events. We post about them here when they pop up sometimes. If you're interested in a master's degree in intelligence, which is pretty much a guaranteed job at DIA upon completion, check into the National Defense Intelligence College (https://www.ndic.edu), which will soon be taken over by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and renamed to National Intelligence University.

State Dept types can add in more suggestions for that side.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zoo posted:

I'd like it to happen when I could afford to throw away a few paychecks.

Oh, believe me- if my stipend stops then I'm going to starve until they fix it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

psydude posted:

Oh, believe me- if my stipend stops then I'm going to starve until they fix it.
Don't you have a credit card?

I'm going to be hurting if we get furloughed a week or two, but I'm not going to starve. In fact, I think my first stop monday morning would be blockbuster to rent a bunch of games I've never had time to play.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I definitely won't starve, but losing thousands of dollars and work time for political games is worthy of frustration. I will file for unemployment, though.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Zoo posted:

I definitely won't starve, but losing thousands of dollars and work time for political games is worthy of frustration. I will file for unemployment, though.
But think of all the money the government will save by not paying federal workers!

In Virginia, the first week of unemployment is uncompensated. The 2nd week on can be filed for, but it's at less than full salary.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Yeah, well, the last one was 3 weeks.

Although I actually do think we're going to see a deal (they can waive the 72hr rule).

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Here is a guide that the House put out about the pending shut down. Pretty much anyone that is not directly involved in savings lives and/or property will get a (possibly unpaid) vacation. I'm very relieved to be one of those essential employees and also luckily I could weather quite an extended shut down without running out of money.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

SirPablo posted:

Here is a guide that the House put out about the pending shut down. Pretty much anyone that is not directly involved in savings lives and/or property will get a (possibly unpaid) vacation. I'm very relieved to be one of those essential employees and also luckily I could weather quite an extended shut down without running out of money.
We got one too, from OPM today. I'm a little annoyed at the timing because I'm taking quite a bit of leave at Easter and it's already been approved.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
It's my understanding that any fee-based agency is also exempt. after all, if the program is not being funded by taxpayers, it would be silly to shut it down due to budget issues. I sure as hell hope this is the case anyway, because if I have to take a vacation our clients will be Up poo poo Creek.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

ixo posted:

It's my understanding that any fee-based agency is also exempt. after all, if the program is not being funded by taxpayers, it would be silly to shut it down due to budget issues. I sure as hell hope this is the case anyway, because if I have to take a vacation our clients will be Up poo poo Creek.

No. Consular officers for instance, are still being furloughed, despite most consular operations being funded by fees. Despite some agencies having funding from fees, the criteria is that they are not allowed to incur any further financial obligations.

Also, :psyduck: at the fact that I still have to go to work to receive my furlough letter telling me to leave work and go home immediately. What's even more :psyduck: is that there is someone who has to come in to work for the sole purpose of giving OTHER people their furlough letters, before they in turn are furloughed.

Head asplode.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Quodio Stotes posted:

Have you seen the Foreign Service mega thread?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So, I live in this women's residence hall on Capitol Hill, which is mostly inhabited by hill interns. There was barely anyone at dinner tonight because apparently there's a ton of voting tonight.... on everything BUT the budget.

eff eff eff

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Diplomaticus posted:

No. Consular officers for instance, are still being furloughed, despite most consular operations being funded by fees. Despite some agencies having funding from fees, the criteria is that they are not allowed to incur any further financial obligations.

I see. I've been told by my supervisor that we won't be furloughed, and had assumed it was because we're fee based. I'm with USDA-AMS, perhaps it's simply because if we shut down, meat processing facilities would have to as well. guessing that's part of the "protection of property" clause then. thanks for the clarification.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

No vote was scheduled for the budget, so we knew that. The President is meeting with Boehner and Reid in like 10 minutes. I have no expectation of anything concrete emerging tonight. I do still think a deal will come out of this by Fri at 11:59 though, even if it means a 2-3 day CR.

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN
Tonight's meeting led to a decision to have a meeting tomorrow to decide whether or not there should be another meeting. Lovin' it.

I got notice today that I'm not an essential employee, just as I put an offer in on a new house.

RP_55
Apr 7, 2011
I just got a tentative offer for a six-month bio science tech job that starts this summer. Are these positions a good foot in the door, or should I hold out for something better? My current job is alright, but I'm afraid I'll be high and dry come the end of the year when the tech position ends. But then again, this was my first offer after a year of stupid USAJOBS applications.

RP_55 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 7, 2011

velcro shoes
Apr 17, 2001

I swear I've been a Portland fan for years. No seriously

RP_55 posted:

I just got a tentative offer for a six-month bio science tech job that starts this summer. Are these positions a good foot in the door, or should I hold out for something better? My current job is alright, but I'm afraid I'll be high and dry come the end of the year when the tech position ends. But then again, this was my first offer after a year of stupid USAJOBS applications.

Is this a seasonal (1039) job with one of the lands agencies? I was a seasonal ranger and know tons of people that went from there to permanent. They all say the most important thing to getting into a permanent job is having an advocate or two within the agency that can vouch for you. Which you'll get if you're a seasonal and you prove yourself. It could take a few seasons, however.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Yet another meeting that ends in an agreement to have yet another meeting. I think this is all posturing and grand-standing.

RP_55
Apr 7, 2011

velcro shoes posted:

Is this a seasonal (1039) job with one of the lands agencies? I was a seasonal ranger and know tons of people that went from there to permanent. They all say the most important thing to getting into a permanent job is having an advocate or two within the agency that can vouch for you. Which you'll get if you're a seasonal and you prove yourself. It could take a few seasons, however.

Yep. The hiring official said that if funding exists, I would most likely be brought back next year -- provided they like me. But with the budget shennanigans, it's impossible to know what the funding situation will be like next week, let alone next year.

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...
This poo poo is ridiculous.

I lurk in this thread a lot hoping eventually to land a job and I appreciate all the advice that gets posted. Just wanted to post wishing all you federal workers the best during this fiasco.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I wonder if people outside the Washington area, military and federal court employees excepted, have any idea what the shutdown means.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Diplomaticus posted:

I wonder if people outside the Washington area, military and federal court employees excepted, have any idea what the shutdown means.

Unless they work in some other sort of government, doubtful. Regular folks never seem to think about the sheer number of (dedicated, or at least low-self-esteem) people it takes to make this place work even as badly as it seems to.

Then again, I work for the state of AZ, so I'm used to feeling unappreciated and dirty.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Diplomaticus posted:

Considering that 85% of the 2 million or so Federal employees live and work outside of the Washington area, I'd say a few have an idea.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

No. I experienced this yesterday when I spoke with a recruiter from the temp firm we use to fill a vacant clerk position. I tried to explain that I want the clerk to start on Monday, but if the government is shut down the temp won't be able to start until a spending bill is signed by the President. The recruiter said, "I don't really know anything about a government shutdown. Is there some kind of website we can go to?" I tried explaining over and over again that it would be the top story on any national news program or website, but she honestly had no idea what I was talking about. "Oh, I don't really watch the news."

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET
I was hoping for a few days off tbh.. But I am on one of the programs that will not be shutdown :(.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
We were told this morning that 80% of DHS is staying open, including my own USCIS. Most of it is the protection of life and property thing, but ours is because we're fee funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

We were told this morning that 80% of DHS is staying open, including my own USCIS. Most of it is the protection of life and property thing, but ours is because we're fee funded.

What do you do at USCIS? I'm getting recruited by some folks in Fraud Detection and National Security, but I hadn't really considered USCIS before and am curious about the organization. I'm a counterterrorism/national security type and had pictured myself at the FBI.