Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That would be so asinine it makes me want to punch a baby out of pure indignation. :saddowns:

That said, look a few posts up where Bobbin was being serious about it too, and he talks about the masters rejecting the first few answers. Being a buddhist wouldn't help if they could just reject his answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

That would be so asinine it makes me want to punch a baby out of pure indignation. :saddowns:

That said, look a few posts up where Bobbin was being serious about it too, and he talks about the masters rejecting the first few answers. Being a buddhist wouldn't help if they could just reject his answer.

Zaodai, you and I both know that you need no incentive to punch a baby.

He should bid the sound of one hand clapping, that would be good for a laugh.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

“Chapters 15-18”

quote:

Above him [Seagroves] [(fancy poo poo)] the blue sky also seemed to vibrate with happiness.
TMI.

We start chapter 15 with some more extensive descriptions of nonexistent ‘mech technology as Seagroves (fancy poo poo) enjoys getting to fly his Phoenix Hawk again. It takes up about half the chapter. The pilot then finally gets to business and hits the infrared scanners, locating the three settlements immediately.

quote:

Seagroves reached forward and toggled the ground flight recorder. From now on, what he saw, it would see. What he did, it would record.
Oh, come on, Peter Rice, you’re not even trying now! During Seagroves’ (fancy poo poo) high altitude pass, we see that the three towns are pretty well built, if by medieval standards. One is square with a castle in the middle, one is round with a palace or temple, and the third is a botched, jumbled mess of fortifications. Seagroves then turns off his flight recorder and goes down to buzz the towns. He buzzes the jumbled mess town first, and notices that apparently there’s tons of gold in them thar defenses. Gold I tells ya, gold! Seagroves can’t resist his single non-‘mech motivation and converts the ‘mech to land mode, skidding into the middle of the town.

So frantic is he that Seagroves (fancy poo poo) doesn’t even bother terrorizing the town some in his Phoenix Hawk, but instead he tries jumping straight out until struggling with his neurohelmet gives him a moment to pause. This gives him time to look around and notice that every single metal fixture in town is made out of gold. The fact that this abundance makes it worthless (especially since he can’t get home) never occurs to him. Of course, the fact that gold is so malleable that making anything useful out of it is worthless doesn’t occur to Peter Rice, either.

Anyway, there’s some panic among the locals at this inconceivable machine, then the town leaders show up and bow to the magical intruder. Seagroves (fancy poo poo) learns the town is named Usugumo, and he collects a bunch of gold fixtures which the elders are all too willing to give him. Seagroves then lands in an open field to cover for the missing time, then heads back to the landing site and reports to his superiors. Takuda gets the basics, and Vost gets to see some of the worthless gold, at which point he gets excited, too. Vost is worried that Seagroves made a deal with Usugumo behind his back, and the reader isn’t really told either way, so Seagroves probably did.

Takuda learns about the gold before the day’s end because the mercs still can’t shut up. However, ever-righteous Takuda is more interested in why the three communities are mutually hostile than how much gold they have. “How could they have spent five hundred years fighting? They had the chance to found the perfect bu-shido society.” Tell it like it is, space samurai! Vost doesn’t give a poo poo, of course, and wants to break out the ‘mechs. Finally, the ship technician pipes up and says it’ll take a week to free the robots, so they might as well make contact in the meantime. This averts conflict for the time being.

The patrol gets back early, but the LAM’s exit turns out to have made extra trouble for extracting the other ‘mechs, Vost’s own Panther in particular. The patrol reports that the castle town is called Osio and is warlike (go figure), the second town is in fact built around a temple (filled with crazy fundamentalist Shinto-Buddhists) and is called Amatukaze, while the third, rubbish town, Usugumo, is controlled by a merchant oligarchy. Vost is naturally intrigued by the war faction and the merchants, but is wary of the religious nuts. Ever-righteous Takuda, however, is dismayed by the factionalism, and wants to “correct” everyone into following bushido again. Vost calls this bullshit and walks off.

Chapter 18 begins with ever-righteous Takuda suddenly realizing that he has a giant morality stick up his rear end, and wondering what to do with it. Vost calls him over, evidently wanting to make nice. Specifically, that being harmonious and doing right by the greatest number requires democracy, so they should all vote on whom to make their leader. Vost’s team is ten strong while Takuda’s is eleven, but Vost also throws the JumpShip captain’s name into the pot to make things interesting. Vost apparently did some talking with the ship crew the night before and wants to take the vote immediately, but Miranda (Spec Ops sniper), who is cleaning his rifle on the bunker roof, convinces Vost that the vote should take some time, giving the advantage back to Takuda.

Well, at least the drat ostrich muppets didn’t show up this time.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

paragon1 posted:

Zaodai, you and I both know that you need no incentive to punch a baby.

It still denies me the usual pleasure of doing it for sport.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Star Commander, I fear this barbarian may have gone mad."

-Said while wearing a fursuit inside a giant robot- :v:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I challenge you to a Trial of Possession for your karma.

(I'm sober enough to stare at the map, so I will be submitting orders later tonight. We're just running up to the drat thing, alpha striking it, and trying to mug it/kick it/punch it in flagrant defiance of zell, right Warlocke?)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, are you a doctor now, or what?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

I challenge you to a Trial of Possession for your karma.

(I'm sober enough to stare at the map, so I will be submitting orders later tonight. We're just running up to the drat thing, alpha striking it, and trying to mug it/kick it/punch it in flagrant defiance of zell, right Warlocke?)

Muka tell us if you are a drat doctor yet or not, you kinda were incoherent last time you talked. Don't drink and game bro. Bros don't let Bros Drink and Game. :cool::respek::cool:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Axe-man posted:

Muka tell us if you are a drat doctor yet or not, you kinda were incoherent last time you talked. Don't drink and game bro. Bros don't let Bros Drink and Game. :cool::respek::cool:

Then what is the point of a drinking game?

Maybe we should challenge them to beer pong?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

“Chapters 19-22”

VOST ANGRY. VOST BEAT WOMAN! No, seriously, him smacking the female merc tech is how the chapter starts. For some reason, the first mate of the JumpShip, a woman apparently oblivious to the nature of her company, is now scheming with the mercs, who now want to jump in their ‘mechs and blast their way to victory. While this would normally be a simple solution to execute, their opponents happen to be a Spec Ops team with a fully equipped heavy weapons group, who can give a lance of ‘mechs a hard time even on foot. Hell, they’ve even got Inferno rounds. But VOST ANGRY so he’s going to go for it anyway.

Vost lets Seagroves (fancy poo poo) talk about the enclaves some, and Seagroves makes it clear that he supports the fancy-poo poo-loving merchants, and wants the other mercs to follow his lead. Vost leads Seagroves away, explaining that they’ll need him to blast the Spec Ops bunker to start the fireworks. Yes, the Spec Ops built an earthworks bunker in about a week. Goodall (chick) is having second thoughts, I guess because she isn’t oblivious to the nature of her company, so she plots with her technician (not the one Vost smacked, if you were wondering) to warn Takuda.

Oh, hey, the muppets are back. Glory be. The soldiers don’t see them coming since they’re too busy watching the mercs. It seems they have infrared suppression suits, too, so Seagroves (fancy poo poo) didn’t even notice when they evacuated the bunker. Still, Takuda doesn’t want to outright kill all the mercs, since he still might need them later, so he’s only ordered non-lethal force.

Unfortunately, the falling guard alerts the other mercs, and poo poo starts going down. The ‘mech pilots all scramble, the Panther and Javelin useless in the small hangar. Goodall (chick) is in one of the Locusts, and she decides to make good her teamswitch, firing at the other Locust (Brank (schemer)) while the Panther and Javelin (Vost and Pesht (doormat)) jump out the roof hole and run off. Meanwhile, Seagroves (fancy poo poo) in the LAM fires a reactivated laser salvo at the bunker, then gets scared off by a couple Inferno rounds.

Davud, the DropShip pilot, starts the next chaper hiding in a crawlway somewhere out of the line of fire. Not that his safety or opinion matters for anything. It seems at least four people died during the attack: three Spec Ops and the JumpShip pilot, who got incinerated by the ‘mech jumpjets. Three of them get fairly quick ends, but one soldier gets a long, drawn out, gory set of injuries that Takuda ends with a mercy kill. Oh, and now someone notices all the muppets creeping into the camp, but they aren’t doing anything, so eh. Goodall (chick) took care of Brank (schemer) rather permanently, and all but two merc techs are dead or missing. Lucky for the soldiers, the two Locusts are still salvageable, plus Spec Ops are rated for ‘mech piloting among everything else. Oh, and Jacobs, the ship engineer, turns out to be ‘mech rated, too, so he gets the job. Except not, and now it’s going to one of the corporals. Well, that was pointless.

Now let’s see what the muppets are up to. Oh, guess what, all that fighting and ‘mech piloting last night has scared them shitless. That was a fun way to spend five paragraphs.

Now we switch back to a human’s perspective, when the muppets finally decide to get a closer look as the Locusts start to move out of the hangar.

quote:

Takuda emerged from the center of the line to meet Dakodo, who now crept from the center of mass. With him were two other Tetatae whom Takuda had never seen.
Well that’s pretty easy, seeing as Takuda’s only ever seen the one. Dakoto starts talking and…oh, god. “You may be the ones who will change everything. You are the ones.”

I’m sorry. This book has been a cliché storm getting to this point, but I still need a minute for this one.

Yes, it seems the muppets have decided that, while the first batch of humans weren’t Quetzalcoatl, this batch of humans what with their chicken-walking ‘mechs are truly the Prophesized Ones. Ever-righteous Takuda protests, but the muppets remain convinced.

I give up.

Not really.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

He should bid the sound of one hand clapping, that would be good for a laugh.

Funny you should say that, because my hand is flexible enough to make a sound of one hand clapping...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostStalker posted:

Funny you should say that, because my hand is flexible enough to make a sound of one hand clapping...

Great, now go use it to win a fight with a genetically engineered soldier in a giant robot.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

Great, now go use it to win a fight with a genetically engineered soldier in a giant robot.

But I'm not one of the BattleMech pilots facing the Clans right now... Besides, transmitting the sound of one hand clapping over a radio wouldn't be enough to satisfy anyone. They'd probably believe it was some other sound re-purposed as the sound of one hand clapping. I'd have to get out of my Mech and show them me clapping with one hand, which would leave me hideously vulnerable...

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Trast posted:

-Said while wearing a fursuit inside a giant robot- :v:
Uhh, they don't wear ceremonial headgear in mechs.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Xmas Future posted:

Uhh, they don't wear ceremonial headgear in mechs.

I bet they could, though; come up with a triple-purpose ceremonial headdress/neurohelmet/coolant hat.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Tarquinn posted:

So, are you a doctor now, or what?

I am, though it's not completely official for another month that was the last real hurdle.

I have submitted my orders, PTN! Apologies for the bacchanal-induced delay.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I bet they could, though; come up with a triple-purpose ceremonial headdress/neurohelmet/coolant hat.

less waste! Perfect for the clans.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I am, though it's not completely official for another month that was the last real hurdle.

Congrats, my friend!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJ12 posted:

And then there's the game balance issues, and the fact that LAMs are the most complex unit bar none to use.
The balance issues weren't quite as bad as people made out, there were a lot of limitations on the Airmech mode that people just ignored. IE: cheaters used complex rules to win. Big shock.

The Anime thing is pretty much spot on though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostStalker posted:

But I'm not one of the BattleMech pilots facing the Clans right now... Besides, transmitting the sound of one hand clapping over a radio wouldn't be enough to satisfy anyone. They'd probably believe it was some other sound re-purposed as the sound of one hand clapping. I'd have to get out of my Mech and show them me clapping with one hand, which would leave me hideously vulnerable...

You begin to see the full extent of your problem.

Edit: They could try. Although enlightenment is notoriously hard to find when you've been atomized by concentrated laser fire.
vvvvvvvvvv

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 5, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Challenge one of them to a Trial of Enlightenment?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Edit: You know what, nevermind. I hit refresh and somehow I think 2 new pages jumped on me.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Veyrall posted:

Edit: You know what, nevermind. I hit refresh and somehow I think 2 new pages jumped on me.

Plot device in the new Front Mission: Evolved game.

It's very, very meh. Rental at best.

Edit: Fine then.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Far Country broke Bobbin, It still hasn't broken me, though I may have to find a specific passage to do because honestly this book is droll and boring most of the time.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The balance issues weren't quite as bad as people made out, there were a lot of limitations on the Airmech mode that people just ignored. IE: cheaters used complex rules to win. Big shock.

The Anime thing is pretty much spot on though.

The limitations were the reduced ground movement rate (pointless, you wouldn't use ground movement in AirMech), actuator damage locking modes (again, you'd just use AirMech in actual combat), and wing damage causing a crash, which was a large but not insurmountable problem especially with Jump 15. They wouldn't hit much, but in most straight on slugging matches this would be irrelevant since you could just whittle at someone all day.

WiGE heat-generating AirMechs are a lot better in being less aggravating although they still probably don't take motive damage, making them ridiculously good at what they do. I do really, really like them personally though which makes me a really odd duck. :(

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Far Country broke Bobbin, It still hasn't broken me, though I may have to find a specific passage to do because honestly this book is droll and boring most of the time.
You shouldn't underestimate my stamina for crap.

“Chapters 23-26”

Davud finds something useful to do finally and turns on the DropShip sensors, discovering that the merc ‘mechs may be coming back. Takuda worries about their defensive position, and worries even more now that the muppets consider his team to be gods.

quote:

This being a god was more than just a formal tea that led to philosophical discussion. This was the real thing. Along with absolute power came absolute responsibility.
Captain Obvious strikes again. Takuda wants to abandon the ‘mechs and escape on foot, but Goodall (chick) is really against the idea, so she makes Davud activate the DropShip’s weapon targeting in an attempt to bluff Vost. Takuda suddenly decides he needs all his corporals, so now Jacobs gets the ‘mech piloting job again. Why did we bother being indecisive here, again? Jacobs has trouble with the new machine, but he manages it all the same.

Dakodo then offers to help the team find a hiding spot and carry their gear. The ‘mech team returns and threatens them from a distance, but the DropShip bluff keeps them distant at first. Then the LAM flies in to attack Jacobs’ Locust.

Goodall (chick) runs over to try and defend Jacobs, but she falls into a ravine. Jacobs is getting hammered by the mercs, having enough trouble just trying to keep his Locust upright and running. Then he falls into a ravine. Luckily, both ‘mechs have a muppet to guide them into a cave system big enough to hide the giant robots. In fact, Jacobs ducks in just in time to convince the LAM pilot (fancy poo poo) that he got a kill, thanks to the infrared sensors. Davud shows up last, having sabotaged the DropShip before escaping, and expresses some concerns about the muppets. This lets ever-righteous Takuda state Today’s Lesson:

quote:

“In the past, we’ve always considered anything not human, and even some humans, as a lower form of life, something to be exploited or killed at our convenience. In this world that will be different. We have to respect the lives of those beings even if we don’t completely understand them. It will be the new way.”
Preach on, space samurai.

At last, we’re in part two of the book.

After three days of rest, the Spec Ops team gets ready to move again. Jacobs has been getting a crash course in MechWarrioring, which isn’t helped by a malfunctioning neurohelmet. The muppets, meanwhile, are proving surprisingly proficient at repairing the high-tech equipment. Eventually, they get to the settled area and spot some soldiers arrayed against each other. Evidently the first wave’s descendants have managed to hang on to some of their old tech, since they observe a big, ugly biodiesel tank firing fat cannonballs.

The next day, Takuda sends out one patrol to each settlement, each with a pair of muppet guides. Oh, and

quote:

The two Tetatae looked on their human counterparts with deep respect and almost love. The two humans reciprocated with affection for their almost pets.
Preach on, space samurai.

Our POV group heads to Usugumo (rubbish), and discovers that the neglected fortifications are, well, neglected, so they sneak in without much trouble. They then go to a safe house which one of the muppets has visited before. The owner is an old muppet, who explains the political situation of the town. It seems an ostentatious oligarchy in a run-down hovel of a town isn’t well liked, who knew? Resentment against the elite extends even into the upper class, although the patrol soon finds itself in direct competition with the mercenary force in terms of offering support.

And now the book is half over.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You shouldn't underestimate my stamina for crap.

Honestly, I like your descriptions more than the book so :dance:

Go on, it will only scar you for the rest of your life, and you may force yourself to become illiterate to block out the pain.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Honestly, I like your descriptions more than the book so :dance:

Go on, it will only scar you for the rest of your life, and you may force yourself to become illiterate to block out the pain.

I survived Red Zone Cuba. Nothing can scar me after that.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

You have no soul left to hurt anymore... I understand.
:smith:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

raverrn posted:

Plot device in the new Front Mission: Evolved game.

It's very, very meh. Rental at best.

Edit: Fine then.

Oh hah, someone answered my question and that's rea- Wait, a third person shooter? Front Mission?

Edit: Well I'll be a monkey's so and so. It is another, different game entirely. :v:

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Waiting on some quick order confirmations from people (you can't back up faster than your walking / cruising speed, and backing down an incline forces a piloting test).

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Whoops, clarified.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mukaikubo posted:

Congratulations! :woop:

Now let's get back to stuff that is truly important: shooting giant robots with lasers!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Also, congrats Mukaikubo. At least in the intervening month until the technicalities are ironed out, you're as authentic a doctor as Dr. Mario.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJ12 posted:

The limitations were the reduced ground movement rate (pointless, you wouldn't use ground movement in AirMech), actuator damage locking modes (again, you'd just use AirMech in actual combat), and wing damage causing a crash, which was a large but not insurmountable problem especially with Jump 15. They wouldn't hit much, but in most straight on slugging matches this would be irrelevant since you could just whittle at someone all day.
Also that it took 2MP to take off, 2MP to land and the mech had to either land or transform at the end of every Airmech mode jump. All of that tended to be ignored.

MJ12 posted:

WiGE heat-generating AirMechs are a lot better in being less aggravating although they still probably don't take motive damage, making them ridiculously good at what they do. I do really, really like them personally though which makes me a really odd duck. :(
This does seem like a significantly less complex and less abuseable version of the rules TBH. Only the full rules will tell though.

I really like LAMs, they seem hillarious.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Arquinsiel posted:

I really like LAMs

:frogout:

You are a horrible person.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Man, this book is awful. They really had to name the girl Goodall, didn't they? At least they're going the horrible almost pets route rather than the earlier, hinted crossbreeding route.

I guess I can see why LAMs are reviled. Making the person running the game look up a whole set of rules that wouldn't exist otherwise is bad, them being poorly balanced just adds to it (though after the introduction of Clantech before BV, I'm surprised they got singled out for ire.). The anti-anime sentiment is a little ironic, but considering that at the time of Battletech's launch, Harmony Gold was pulling a Saban with the mech's sources to create Robotech for Western audiences, a lack of knowledge or even like of the inspiration makes quite a lot of sense. I guess I wouldn't have any dislike of LAMs if they had well implemented rules and BV, but as I've never run into them aside from as a concept, I don't really have much of an opinion.

As for the raging battle, I eagerly anticipate how PTN's tweaked Hellbringer performs. I always loved that chassis, as with MW2's implementation of the customization system and clan arsenal, you could easily strip out the (non-implemented) electronic warfare gear, and turn it into a rather speedy, durable death dealer. So, good luck out there - this thing could be packing anything.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

I guess I can see why LAMs are reviled. Making the person running the game look up a whole set of rules that wouldn't exist otherwise is bad, them being poorly balanced just adds to it (though after the introduction of Clantech before BV, I'm surprised they got singled out for ire.). The anti-anime sentiment is a little ironic, but considering that at the time of Battletech's launch, Harmony Gold was pulling a Saban with the mech's sources to create Robotech for Western audiences, a lack of knowledge or even like of the inspiration makes quite a lot of sense. I guess I wouldn't have any dislike of LAMs if they had well implemented rules and BV, but as I've never run into them aside from as a concept, I don't really have much of an opinion.

In my case at least the hate for LAMs is based on the fact that they really don't fit into BattleTech at all. The idea of a mech that changes into a plane is just... Not BT. Yeah yeah I know the Unseen are all from various anime stuff, but a Phoenix Hawk is nothing like a veritech even if it's based on the same model, and trying to jam some transforming variant in is just... :ughh:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah LAMs really don't fit the feel of Battletech at all. It's a setting that's all about ponderous, prone to break, can't dodge for poo poo and have tons of armor to compensate we-don't-know-how-to-build-basic-tech mechs. And then some can transform into loving aircraft? In the field without spending atleast 5 days with full crew of mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, that's one way to avoid eating some LRMs.

• Locked thread