Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 15, 2010

zokie posted:

You are wrong, Duiker is not the same person as Fiddler/Strings. He is someone else. Fiddler takes the name Strings when re-enlisting.

Ahhhh Thanks!!!! I knew I had messed up!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Crippled God sits on my coffee table. It's a larger size paperback, the size of Gardens of the Moon, which will somehow be appropriate bookending the normal sized paperbacks of the rest of the series in between on my shelf. Finished Dust of Dreams today, realizing I started reading at really the perfect time, towards the end of last Summer, to see this thing through without any interruptions. Looking forward to reading this thread thoroughly after that point. Man it's been a wild ride, I'm sad for it to end, and ready at the same time.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I guess I was mistaken in thinking that he just had a thing against jhistal and that there was some back-story to it. And also, how was Duiker aware of the priest being a jhistal and/or the priest's intention to sacrifice the entire army, in essence? Hmm.

There was a scene in DG where Duiker is speaking to some tribesmen while chasing the Seventh. The leader talks about the jhistal in Aren as their shaved knuckle in the hole, and Duiker (and eventually Keneb) puts two and two together later on.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
If it wasn't mentioned there's also a re-read going on at Tor.com

I wouldn't suggest it before you've read the first two books because of spoilers in comments, but now the policy is changing so it should be safer.

After a reread lots more things make sense.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

P.S.
I'd suggest to add to the flow chart in the 1st post a line that from book 4 returns to book 2, and another that goes both ways between book 3 and 2 ;)

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 3, 2011

Famine
May 8, 2004
Im a little late but just got my copy of the crippled god today!!

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Just finished The Crippled God, loving awesome. The last 300 pages or so are just phenomenal, could not put the book down.

I was three quarters of the way through a re-read of the series and I somehow managed to resist temptation and not start TCG until I had finished the rest, so I didn't find it that hard to follow what was going on with everyone. I can understand the complaints though, there are a massive amount of characters and plot threads.

One thing I'm still not sure about after all these re-reads - who (or what) the hell is Edgewalker?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

HampHamp posted:

Just finished The Crippled God, loving awesome. The last 300 pages or so are just phenomenal, could not put the book down.

I was three quarters of the way through a re-read of the series and I somehow managed to resist temptation and not start TCG until I had finished the rest, so I didn't find it that hard to follow what was going on with everyone. I can understand the complaints though, there are a massive amount of characters and plot threads.

One thing I'm still not sure about after all these re-reads - who (or what) the hell is Edgewalker?

And where, or rather who/what, is the throne of shadow?

My pet theory right now, which may not survive a re-read, is that edgewalker is the Throne of Shadow.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

adamarama posted:

Just finished the TCG, a solid ending to the series. It felt a bit rushed in parts, wrapping up so many loose ends, but the characters that mattered shone through. Inevitably, some questions.

What was Sinn? Does she represent a new type of magic, that comes from the individual rather than drawing on Krul's blood? She reminds me of Beak. Both drew on their own suffering to fuel their magic. I didn't feel that Sinn's story was well closed off but hopefully will be addressed in another book.

I really don't think Sinn represented a new type of magic, but rather she just lost all her humanity, first after being raped, and then giving herself completely to the fire elemental while absorbed it. In the end she was less of a human and more of a meat shell for the elemental.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

HampHamp posted:

Whole series spoilers:He tried and failed to usurp the throne of shadow, and became bound to it, sort of like the guardian of an azath house. That's why Shadowthrone gives him poo poo. Edgewalker, Telorast and Curdle all tried and failed and are bound to it. Telorast and Curdle are in Edgewalker's "employ". It seems like Tulas Shorn successfully claimed the throne for a time, and then lost it (he claims to have created the hounds). The specifics of how it works are never explained, but they give you the vibe of it in Night of Knives. Edgewalker's often confused for a T'lan Imass so he was probably either Imass or human.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Redmask question.
after sagchurok and gruntmach kill him it is revealed that he is a letherii how is this important in any way or maybe I missed something really big

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

Redmask question.
after sagchurok and gruntmach kill him it is revealed that he is a letherii how is this important in any way or maybe I missed something really big

I basically considered it one last way to poo poo on the Awl - the person leading them to extinction not even being one of them

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I basically considered it one last way to poo poo on the Awl - the person leading them to extinction not even being one of them

it was also a final nail in that he was not the real Redmask as they had thought, but an impostor

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

the periodic fable posted:

it was also a final nail in that he was not the real Redmask as they had thought, but an impostor

not just an imposter, but worse yet one of the enemy.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weaponized Cum posted:

Redmask question.

There's this whole sordid affair involving him, the Factor of Drene, his sister, and the Awl tribe they were both adopted into. TL:DR - When they were both really young they captured in a raid and adopted into the tribe. Some time later his sister was indebted to Anict's estate, and he attempted to free her and spur the Awl into action against the enroaching Lether Empire. There was some backlash when his sister was killed and in a rage he slew some of his tribe's elders for their inaction. For this he was banished. The secret that his tribe elder held over him (at least until he strangled him to death) was basically knowledge of this entire affair.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Boogle posted:

There's this whole sordid affair involving him, the Factor of Drene, his sister, and the Awl tribe they were both adopted into. TL:DR - When they were both really young they captured in a raid and adopted into the tribe. Some time later his sister was indebted to Anict's estate, and he attempted to free her and spur the Awl into action against the enroaching Lether Empire. There was some backlash when his sister was killed and in a rage he slew some of his tribe's elders for their inaction. For this he was banished. The secret that his tribe elder held over him (at least until he strangled him to death) was basically knowledge of this entire affair.
So yes, that was the real Redmask, he was just a Letherii to begin with.

And in connection to that question about Edgewalker, as far as I'm aware he's an 'elemental force' which is basically shorthand for original Elder God, like Mother Dark, K'rul, Draconus, etc, and the Throne of Shadow is still successfully hidden on Drift Avali.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Illuyankas posted:

So yes, that was the real Redmask, he was just a Letherii to begin with.
I thought the original predated that elder story?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Habibi posted:

I thought the original predated that elder story?

that was my idea too but i can't find any relevant sources for it right now

edit:
while googling for malazan stuff i keep ending up on the malazan empire forums and those guys have the weirdest loving theories on everything

Opal fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 4, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

the periodic fable posted:

that was my idea too but i can't find any relevant sources for it right now
I think Illuyankas is assuming that that Letheri-turned-Awl who killed the elders was the original Redmask, whereas I believe it's pretty explicit in the books (which I don't have on me by virtue of being at work) that the original Redmask was around well before that episode - hence his legendary status, hence the fact that no one alive remembers him.

quote:

edit:while googling for malazan stuff i keep ending up on the malazan empire forums and those guys have the weirdest loving theories on everything
Eh, as with most forums like that, the core contributers probably spend far too much time every day discussing the books and plot, and after a while you run out of reasonable theories and ruminations and invariably resort to crazy poo poo. :)

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

BexGu posted:

I really don't think Sinn represented a new type of magic, but rather she just lost all her humanity, first after being raped, and then giving herself completely to the fire elemental while absorbed it. In the end she was less of a human and more of a meat shell for the elemental.
She definitely suffered, which is why I think it's a new type of magic. I think it's Reverence that comments that Sinn's magic is "alien", which makes me think it has something to do with the Crippled God. Beak suffered in much the same way as Sinn, and they're both extremely powerful mages. I'm thinking that they may have represented two extremes of the Crippled God, spite and compassion. This is pure speculation of course, but I'm really struggling to see how Sinn/Beak fit in with the other mages.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Habibi posted:

I think Illuyankas is assuming that that Letheri-turned-Awl who killed the elders was the original Redmask, whereas I believe it's pretty explicit in the books (which I don't have on me by virtue of being at work) that the original Redmask was around well before that episode - hence his legendary status, hence the fact that no one alive remembers him.
I'm assuming that because that strangled elder was the only person left from his tribe since he killed most of the elders and the rest of the tribe dwindled away from infighting and the Letherii, and no-one else who saw what's behind his mask was currently alive. As far as the Awl are concerned, Redmask is a badass Awl with a scaled mask. Redmask trained with those signature weapons while he had his mask, before the whole mess with his sister that Boogle described. So either a Letherii became incredibly skilled with these weapons while learning from the KCCM, or he's the original and he was always a Letherii captive raised by the Awl. Original Redmask loses his sister -> Kills elders -> Heads into the Wastelands -> Meets the KCCM -> Returns after some years of the Awl degrading. The thing is, though, that whether Redmask killed the elder because he was a fake or because being revealed as Letherii would destroy his authority among the Awl doesn't actually detract from the story either way. So right or wrong, it's still good. Part of the problem in the first place is determining ages of characters who wear masks all the time is tricky, and also Erikson's slight amount of timeline issues.

quote:

Eh, as with most forums like that, the core contributers probably spend far too much time every day discussing the books and plot, and after a while you run out of reasonable theories and ruminations and invariably resort to crazy poo poo. :)
This is factually accurate, except that sometimes those theories are correct.

Not often.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

I'm assuming that because that strangled elder was the only person left from his tribe since he killed most of the elders and the rest of the tribe dwindled away from infighting and the Letherii, and no-one else who saw what's behind his mask was currently alive. As far as the Awl are concerned, Redmask is a badass Awl with a scaled mask. Redmask trained with those signature weapons while he had his mask, before the whole mess with his sister that Boogle described. So either a Letherii became incredibly skilled with these weapons while learning from the KCCM, or he's the original and he was always a Letherii captive raised by the Awl.
Right, but IIRC it was never stated implied in the book that when he killed the elders, he was Redmask. I got the impression that Redmask had been around prior to that (and was probably Awl and not KCCM-backed), and had already gone by the time Mr. Letheri came around and killed the elders. And that what the elder was saying wasn't, "Hey the last time Redmask was here was..." but rather, generally, "Hey - there happened to have been an outcast guy who would probably have been right about your age by now..."I may be mis-remembering, but I was pretty sure the book drew a clear enough distinction between current Redmask and original Redmask that they couldn't have been the same person.

quote:

This is factually accurate, except that sometimes those theories are correct.

Not often.
Sure - "throw enough darts at the board" and so on... :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

adamarama posted:

She definitely suffered, which is why I think it's a new type of magic. I think it's Reverence that comments that Sinn's magic is "alien", which makes me think it has something to do with the Crippled God. Beak suffered in much the same way as Sinn, and they're both extremely powerful mages. I'm thinking that they may have represented two extremes of the Crippled God, spite and compassion. This is pure speculation of course, but I'm really struggling to see how Sinn/Beak fit in with the other mages.
I sort of assumed that Sinn's new 'alien' magic is just the new Icarium-caused warrens that were introduced in DoD?

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

adamarama posted:

Don't forget the new warrens Icarium created. Her and Grub ran through them, and I think she probably picked something up from there. EDIT: beaten

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Recent Q&A with ICE, on his upcoming novels and other stuff: http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/03/interview-with-ian-c-esslemont.html

Recent Q&A with SE, on future plans and on the series: http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/03/interview-with-ian-c-esslemont.html

Good stuff!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Recent Q&A with ICE, on his upcoming novels and other stuff: http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/03/interview-with-ian-c-esslemont.html

Recent Q&A with SE, on future plans and on the series: http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/03/interview-with-ian-c-esslemont.html

Good stuff!

Both of these are linked to the same interview with Esslemont.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

bigmcgaffney posted:

Both of these are linked to the same interview with Esslemont.

SE: http://the-void.co.uk/book/interview-drat-contrarian-steven-erikson-conversation-094/

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
And also http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/04/interview-with-steven-erikson.html for those too lazy to click on the homepage.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Since we're linking stuff consider also Erikson's journals if they haven't been linked before:

http://lifeasahuman.com/author/stevenerikson/

And also two important articles on his own site:
http://www.stevenerikson.com/index.php/the-world-of-the-malazan-empire-and-role-playing-games/
http://www.stevenerikson.com/index.php/commentary-endgame-vol-1-and-2-by-derrick-jensen/

The second is quite fundamental even if it seems to only comment some other books.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Habibi posted:

I sort of assumed that Sinn's new 'alien' magic is just the new Icarium-caused warrens that were introduced in DoD?
Actually, that makes sense. I'd forgotten about that. Will be interesting to see if they're adressed in future books.

twitch and spasm
Jul 21, 2010
Just started book three and yay Kruppes back.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
So I've been reading Memories of Ice, and I got to the point where Toc derped off with Panon.

Specifically:
"Make sweet love to me you lopsided cyclops you!!!" -Envy
"Your subtle undertones are no match for me, sorceress." -Toc
...A couple minutes later...
"Welp, I'm pretty much useless here, so I'll go run off with this cannibalizing horde of fantatics because :downs:" -Toc
"hello i am dust" -Tool

Why? Why would Toc do that? Will it be explained? I know he was being angsty because everyone's power exceeded his, but come on.

\/\/I guess that makes sense. Thanks!

crime weed fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 5, 2011

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tagging for safety:

Self-preservation. He's pretty sure that if he keeps going along with them he's going to die, and he's not particularly wrong in thinking so: Envy, her Seguleh, and Tool can't protect him and themselves at the same time considering the numbers they're fighting against. He had more faith in his ability to blend in with the Dominion, and since he was a Claw I don't really fault him for that.

This does make me wish we'd gotten more Envy in the series. Almost every scene she's in or reference to her is hilarious.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 5, 2011

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I guess it's time to get back into this series now that the main story has been wrapped up (it is done, right? :ohdear:). I finished House of Chains back in like 2006, but never got around to start on Midnight Tides for some reason. I'll probably be confused as all gently caress since I've mostly likely forgotten everything about the plot... Karsa being awesome comes to mind, everything else is hazy at best. (Speaking of Karsa, he better be in MT or at least The Bonehunters :colbert:)

Semper books

VVV Ah, neat. That should make it a lot easier to get back into the series, I imagine. Just loaded it onto my tablet, so I'm good to go. : VV

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 5, 2011

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I guess it's time to get back into this series now that the main story has been wrapped up (it is done, right? :ohdear:)

I finished House of Chains back in like 2006, but never got around to start on Midnight Tides for some reason. I'll probably be confused as all gently caress since I've mostly likely forgotten everything about the plot... Karsa being awesome comes to mind, everything else is hazy at best. (Speaking of Karsa, he better be in MT or at least The Bonehunters :colbert:)

Semper books

Midnight Tides is an entirely new continent/storyline. Karsa returns in the Bonehunters.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Finished TCG last night. My thoughts are similar to other haters who have already posted. The real strengths of this series were in the middle books. The overall narrative structure of the series is really lacking. There are a lot of stories that are great in of themselves but are really hard to stitch into the larger story in a meaningful way. And as others have said the big baddies and the Kolanse stuff gets introduced way too late and it feels real artificial.

Not sure I would recommend the series to people. It might be smarter just to read the good books like Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, and Midnight Tides and try not to care about the larger story. Because at the end of the day I didn't find it all that rewarding to read all the way through.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

silly posted:

The real strengths of this series were in the middle books.

This is definitely true. Books 2-5 were the peak of the series, as much as I hate to admit it.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Well, the overall structure is the part that Erikson had written down before he started the series. So it definitely has a point (which may or not be satisfying for certain readers).

The arc may be slightly obfuscated because it will complete in Esslemont's books, but it is there and it's very specific. It was there all along and was never betrayed.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Abalieno posted:

The arc may be slightly obfuscated because it will complete in Esslemont's books, but it is there and it's very specific. It was there all along and was never betrayed.

The arc of the Book of the Fallen is complete and whole. ICE's stuff is part of the world, but not an integral part of the story that Erikson was telling.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Yep, complete, but a bit lopsided. Erikson had to reign in certain conclusions because Esslemont joined late, so things didn't align perfectly in order to close the arc as it was intended.

So you'll see the effects bleeding on the Esslemont's books that will work like an epilogue to the main series. You have yet to see the significance of what happened and its potential for the future.

I'm not even sure people realize what it is that unifies the series, beside the pretext of the Crippled God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Good stuff!

Good stuff indeed, though I hope ICE comes up with some better titles for his upcoming books.