Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Listening to Rob Brydon's April Fools "Ken Bruce" show on iPlayer, pretty funny stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

NaDy posted:

Anyone watching Friday Night Dinner? It's nothing revolutionary but I find it pretty drat funny.

I'm loving it.

A review/comment on another site said the thing they hate the most about the show was everyone saying "what" all the time. But that's one of the things that makes it for me. I remember my mother shouting angrily "Stop saying what!" at my father and I on several occasions during my childhood, and it makes me sad more people aren't enjoying it, because it's completely spot on for me. :ssh:(My dad hoarded the economist instead though)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I'm loving it.

A review/comment on another site said the thing they hate the most about the show was everyone saying "what" all the time. But that's one of the things that makes it for me. I remember my mother shouting angrily "Stop saying what!" at my father and I on several occasions during my childhood, and it makes me sad more people aren't enjoying it, because it's completely spot on for me. :ssh:(My dad hoarded the economist instead though)

Yeah I think one of the reasons I like it so much is because it reminds me of how my family interacts. Tamsin Greigs character is eerily like my mum.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thats the appeal for me, trying to spot the little things we all do around our families.

The SS?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

So did anybody catch Louis? I missed it but watching now on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0107zhy/Louis_Theroux_Americas_Most_Hated_Family_in_Crisis/

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Dicky B posted:

So did anybody catch Louis? I missed it but watching now on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0107zhy/Louis_Theroux_Americas_Most_Hated_Family_in_Crisis/

Yep. Whilst I don't really like his faux naif style, he does pick compelling subjects.

Also, I know its redundant, but the fact that people like the Phelps exist scares me shitless. Seems more like proof there isn't a God.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Dicky B posted:

Can't imagine Lady Gaga being very happy about the use of her songs by these deeply disturbed people. It was all so ludicrously over the top that it became quite pitable.

I feel sorry for the poor children of the family, and can only hope that when Fred Phelps dies the cult disbands and the younger members can hopefully find a healthier and happier way of living with the rest of humanity.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
What was the purple cave in Jordan stuff one of the kids was talking about?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

cloudchamber posted:

I'm not sure but it did make me laugh.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
Louis Theroux is extraordinary. I love how unflappable in the face of total insanity he is, and at the same time while the WBC is completely repulsive as are many of their members, sometimes you get a real glimpse at the humanity of some of the members.

I hope more of their members get out of that goddamn cult soon though.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That Jewish video was amazingly offensive.

cloudchamber posted:

Petra perhaps?

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Irisi posted:

Can't imagine Lady Gaga being very happy about the use of her songs by these deeply disturbed people.
Or Ozzy, either. I think there's some ruling that says that parody is okay, but I could be wrong. They don't mention it in the documentary, but I think that their parodying of common pop songs helps them in a sense of staying relevant with current times.

I'm surprised that one of the kids was sporting a Zoo York hoodie, amongst some other clothing choices. I'm surprised that they aren't radical enough that they don't denounce everyday items like clothes that might be made by gay friendly companies.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

cardedagain posted:

I'm surprised that one of the kids was sporting a Zoo York hoodie, amongst some other clothing choices. I'm surprised that they aren't radical enough that they don't denounce everyday items like clothes that might be made by gay friendly companies.

I did wonder that too. I thought they'd be very much 'indoors' and reject anything with a brand, especially clothing from New York companies (home of the jews!), but then they knew about pop music, and I realised I was mixing them up with some of the other doomsdayers Louis meets. These guys want to have their cake.

I'd like to see how the deserters feel about FAG TROOPS now they're out of the Phelps confines. I'd say less mental, but probably still homophobic.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
So did anyone see the final episode of The Tudors? I thought it was an excellent series. I only started watching it on this series, so I'll have to find the previous 3 now. I felt like it ended a tiny bit abruptly, but they did a very good job. I went in to it very sceptically but really it was just great.

Does anyone know if they are going to carry it on with Edward, Lady Jane Grey, Mary etc? Finishing with Elizabeth would just be epic.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Irisi posted:

I feel sorry for the poor children of the family, and can only hope that when Fred Phelps dies the cult disbands and the younger members can hopefully find a healthier and happier way of living with the rest of humanity.

This was the worst thing about the show for me. These kids (even though some have grown up and finished college) have grown up with all this stuff just forced into their heads that you can't really blame them for it, but only really hate the parents more. Even if the cult did fall apart, even in the near future, these kids are so messed up I doubt that much outside help would help them, if they even wanted it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It's ofcom report day!

Tramadol Nights: The Katie Price / Harvey retard sex joke: In Breach
Tramadol Nights as a whole: Not in Breach

Top Gear and the Mexican line: Not in Breach (but they did get 157 complaints)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

DaWolfey posted:

Top Gear and the Mexican line: Not in Breach (but they did get 157 complaints)

I'm pretty sure that the Top Gear presenters were told to say that Mexican crap just to generate some controversy. It reeked of scripting (unlike the rest of the show :downsrim:)

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
BBC 4 started showing Spiral series 3. Read up about it and it sounds like a show I'd really enjoy, but would it be important to see the first two series before this one?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Atomic Dog posted:

BBC 4 started showing Spiral series 3. Read up about it and it sounds like a show I'd really enjoy, but would it be important to see the first two series before this one?
I watched the 2 episodes on Saturday and felt that I'd like to see the first 2 seasons because there is clearly some fallout from a previous season that isn't a 100% clear on just having seen those episodes. Also I think it must have been subbed by someone who lived in Glasgow for a while, some of the phrasing is oddly Glaswegian in the subbs.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I was talking to Charlie Brooker on twitter and he pointed me towards this page.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=adam%20curtis

All of Adam Curtis' docs.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Dicky B posted:

The gay Asian wanting to join the church troubled me most. Not sure how long ago it was filmed, but he's still in Topeka today and still eager to become a member.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Atomic Dog posted:

Yes you pretty much have to watch the first 2 series for it all to make sense. It is excellent though so you're in for a treat.

Also good is The Killing currently being shown on BBC4

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I was talking to Charlie Brooker on twitter and he pointed me towards this page.

Holy poo poo :fap:

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Cheers guys!

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Well that's my week sorted. I can't remember which ones I've seen and haven't. So I'll just watch everything again.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

It's missing the one about Hernrietta Lacks which is up on his blog:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2010/06/the_undead_henrietta_lacks_and.html

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Ray and Shirley posted:

The gay Asian wanting to join the church troubled me most. Not sure how long ago it was filmed, but he's still in Topeka today and still eager to become a member.

If he's gay how come he wanted to join? Does he not know how they feel about gay people?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I don't recall the show mentioning he was gay either.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

wickles posted:

Yes you pretty much have to watch the first 2 series for it all to make sense. It is excellent though so you're in for a treat.

Also good is The Killing currently being shown on BBC4

If by 'currently' you mean 'finished last week', then yes. (It was good.)

BBC4 really should have repeated the first two series of Spiral before showing this new one, I missed it when it was first shown.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

cloudchamber posted:

Well he was pretty camp if that's what people are suggesting, though doesn't mean he's gay of course.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

cloudchamber posted:

they didn't mention he was gay, no. Louis asked if he had been following their doctrine up to that point and he said no, but pretty much everything is sinning and "rebelling" to them so idk. I think it's not impossible that a gay person might try and join them though if they wanted to cure it as it conflicted with their religious beliefs. Plus brainwashing.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I think the moment that has really has really stuck with me from all his documentaries is at the very end of Ultra Zionists when that Australian guy says "nothing will ever, ever, ever change" or something similar.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Carpet posted:

If by 'currently' you mean 'finished last week', then yes. (It was good.)

BBC4 really should have repeated the first two series of Spiral before showing this new one, I missed it when it was first shown.

Is this the Danish version or the recent AMC remake?

Adam and Joe were good again. My girlfriend hadn't heard them before and asked 'why everyone bums them so much', but I wasn't even really aware they were the equivalent of Moyles on Radio 6 or anything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else found the new BBC Radio player has some programmes really loving stuttery?

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

justcola posted:

Is this the Danish version or the recent AMC remake?

Adam and Joe were good again. My girlfriend hadn't heard them before and asked 'why everyone bums them so much', but I wasn't even really aware they were the equivalent of Moyles on Radio 6 or anything.

The Danish one - why does the American one even exist?

A&J will never be Moyles-like in any way, outsider figures forever - this run is only 12 weeks long. The first podcast was piss funny - WHY BE DENNY DIFFERENT?! WHY?! the Brian Cox piss-take bit had me in stitches.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
So, Louis Theroux.. those people are loving craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. That is all.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

cloudchamber posted:

Kid was a textbook self hating gay, trying to run away from it all and ending up in the worst place possible, I felt really bad for him to have lost his way so badly and ended up in the company of these poisonous people.
Head Phelps bitch whose name I've forgotten all but called him a human being when she kept referring to him coming all the way from San Francisco

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
So what's this I vaguely remember from watching tv stoned last night about a Spaced remake? I swear I saw a trailer for "Spaced", a sitcom in a flat, but with different actors. Is this a thing and when does it happen?

Edit: vvv Perhaps. I don't remember American accents but it was late and I'd been smoking. Maybe I'm misremembering.

meme fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 5, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

meme posted:

So what's this I vaguely remember from watching tv stoned last night about a Spaced remake? I swear I saw a trailer for "Spaced", a sitcom in a flat, but with different actors. Is this a thing and when does it happen?

US version maybe? Do yourself a favour and don't YouTube that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
So much rage in that WBC documentary. I did like the difference between this and the last one though. Theroux being all upfront and challenging them a little more was good. They obviously were prepared for him and he knew it.

When Shirley Phelps asks why that woman seems so angry at one of the protests and starts telling her that she's so angry that she's shaking and the woman tells her that she has MS I cringed. In anyone else that kind of thing would result in some apology but creepy scarecrow just looked smug.

It's weird going back and looking at the first after this one. The daughter that seemed to connect with Theroux in the first looks like a likely candidate for the Phelps throne should the good lord tally and not send them to the purple cave to await further developments. I was hoping she was one of the children who left. :(