Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Haha I'm really sorry but I don't know what "hireback" means.

For what it's worth, I was told when I accepted my 2L offer that I'd done "an exceptional job" and that, supposedly, they'd declined to hire one of last year's 2Ls to save a spot for me, but that could all be lies and/or optimistic thinking employer-side - I'll only pat myself on the back when I'm sitting behind a desk. I'm hopeful though because this firm is not only just a job but also a perfect fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^
Most likely they are being conservative. They don't want to hire 2Ls that they can't offer if they perform.

A firm here I know very well had ~10 2Ls in 2008, hired all of them plus more (I think 13) as associates. They can afford them and business is booming enough, but they couldn't hire 13 people again in 2009, so they had far fewer 2Ls last year. Same with this year.
Firms that did fine in 2008-2009 actually did a lot of hiring (there were just very few of them) because they could get the cream of the crop and all 2Ls they had accepted. So they did as much hiring then as they would have in 2 or 3 years. So they've cut back.
If they did well in 2008, that could explain it. Or they could still not be doing great.

evilweasel posted:

I don't know what the worst part of that is, "locatons", the music for the video, the hosed-up logo, the fact that he's got one office for each 'lawyer' in the firm or just everything.
He wants $350/hr.

The attorney I work for has been practicing criminal law for 30+ years, went to Boalt, has handled countless death and life case, has a list of published cases long enough that it won't fit on one page, is considered one of the best trial attorneys the region. He charges 250-350/hr depending on the case (He sometimes lowers his billables for interesting cases).
Also, he's a less competent version of my avatar. :)

nm fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 4, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

The attorney I work for has been practicing criminal law for 30+ years, went to Boalt, has handled countless death and life case, has a list of published cases long enough that it won't fit on one page, is considered one of the best trial attorneys the region. He charges 250-350/hr depending on the case (He sometimes lowers his billables for interesting cases).
Also, he's a less competent version of my avatar. :)

I am not persuaded that your boss's rate of 250-350 is some standard by which we can measure other criminal attorneys' rates. Perhaps your boss is underbilling himself.

In fact, this is a complaint I have about the legal profession in general: legal fees are not transparent in the marketplace, so it's tough to gauge where you sit relative your competitors. This probably disproportionately affects solos and small firms more than the bigger, more established firms, but it's an issue across the board.

How do you determine your billing rate? How do you know that you aren't over/underbilling?

(obviously, rates will differ on a wide variety of variables, but I'm assuming that you, the attorney, already know your geographic factors and other non-you factors - I'm specifically curious about measuring the value of your experience and expertise relative to your competition.)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

evilweasel posted:

I don't know what the worst part of that is, "locatons", the music for the video, the hosed-up logo, the fact that he's got one office for each 'lawyer' in the firm or just everything.

I have to admit, I've got a few doubts after reading that About section...

SOLD!

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
supposedly the firm did extremely well in both 2009 and even 2008 and is aggressively expanding its client base so i'm going to choose to be optimistic. thank you.

soothing vapors - i really need to get ahold of you. let me know how i may do so. i don't have PMs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

130 on the mpre without ever taking a practice test and only skimming the book once :hellyeah:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I just can't fathom how so many people can pass without studying. Are the questions just common sense?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

I just can't fathom how so many people can pass without studying. Are the questions just common sense?

it's scaled and there are a lot of idiots in the world

none of the rules are actually hard at all, most are common sense, and the ones that aren't are pretty easy to remember, and you have a huge buffer before you get into the danger zone

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

evilweasel posted:

it's scaled and there are a lot of idiots in the world

I sat in front of someone who claimed he got the lowest score on the MPRE because he didn't use a #2 pencil. Vocal idiots go to law school.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blar posted:

I sat in front of someone who claimed he got the lowest score on the MPRE because he didn't use a #2 pencil. Vocal idiots go to law school.

They're not kidding about that actually, I took a scantron test for a course in college all in pen and got a zero. It took a surprising amount of work to get that overturned.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Was that the first Scantron test you ever took or something?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

diospadre posted:

I've taken some Scantron tests that let you use blue or black ink.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

diospadre posted:

No, I wanted to see what would happen. Where's your sense of adventure?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

evilweasel posted:

No, I wanted to see what would happen. Where's your sense of adventure?

Was this procedural victory your law school personal statement? I think admissions would have loved it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

prussian advisor posted:

http://financialcrimelaw.com/ im pretty sure this is his website lol

I'm not sure how I noticed this, but if you listen to his little video presentation on the front page, you can hear a smoke alarm's low-battery chirp go off (right after 'if it's your budget.')

which goon is this and what mmo did he scam

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I was really close to failing the MPRE.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

gvibes posted:

I commend you for sticking with your moral objections to the prohibition on sleeping with clients and/or hot judges.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

gvibes posted:

The best MPRE score isn't the highest, but the one just above what you need to pass. Means you studied exactly the right amount.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

which goon is this and what mmo did he scam

The parallels are pretty strong, aren't they?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Woot, MPRE passed.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
I took two tries to pass the MPRE. I only took one try to pass the bar exam. Obviously the MPRE is the harder test.

Please do not attempt to look up my bar exam griping from ages past. I was clearly delusional.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

entris posted:

I am not persuaded that your boss's rate of 250-350 is some standard by which we can measure other criminal attorneys' rates. Perhaps your boss is underbilling himself.

In fact, this is a complaint I have about the legal profession in general: legal fees are not transparent in the marketplace, so it's tough to gauge where you sit relative your competitors. This probably disproportionately affects solos and small firms more than the bigger, more established firms, but it's an issue across the board.

How do you determine your billing rate? How do you know that you aren't over/underbilling?

(obviously, rates will differ on a wide variety of variables, but I'm assuming that you, the attorney, already know your geographic factors and other non-you factors - I'm specifically curious about measuring the value of your experience and expertise relative to your competition.)
He is underbilling himself, but $350 for this fool is insane.
(This is also a small firm though)
Fees are not as opaque as you think though.
Pretty much all the criminal lawyers know what everyone else bills. As do the civil lawyers worth mentioning.

---
That said, I'm not private practice as of very soon. The slumming (or lack of slumming) is over! Fulltime public defender employment starts in a couple weeks, wooo!

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

nm posted:

He is underbilling himself, but $350 for this fool is insane.
(This is also a small firm though)
Fees are not as opaque as you think though.
Pretty much all the criminal lawyers know what everyone else bills. As do the civil lawyers worth mentioning.

---
That said, I'm not private practice as of very soon. The slumming (or lack of slumming) is over! Fulltime public defender employment starts in a couple weeks, wooo!

Our state bar association does an annual salary survey that includes billing rate data in great and exhaustive detail:

http://downloads.ohiobar.org/memrsrc/memben/pracrsrc/2007EoLS.pdf

Scroll down to pages 20 and beyond.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
I know I'm late on this, but I'd choose NYU (although I'm hideously biased). If you're really committed to public interest work, the public interest center here does a really good job in helping people out. NYU hosts the biggest public interest career fair in the country for law students, hosts an annual auction to help fund 1Ls and 2Ls who take summer jobs in the public interest and has a pretty solid LRAP program. And if you've got Root, that should be it.

Columbia also recently hired a brand new public interest staff, and from what I've heard from people who run public interest groups at CLS, they have no idea what they're doing. To the point where they don't provide funding for a group that represents people in administrative hearings because they don't have enough events on campus.

We also had a lot more fun than they did at the UVA softball tourney this weekend.

mutism
Feb 17, 2011

Lancelot posted:

This was a couple pages back, but, New Zealand? I'm at CT, did you get a interview there?
Sure didn't. Top ten student at Auckland, reference who worked at CT and no luck. Three interviews so far, but CT was definitely my top choice.

Congrats on the position by the way!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

evilweasel posted:

His "About" page is hilarious.

"We know if you're visiting our site you're guilty, so we're going to string out your trial for as long as possible."

Actually that's the correct strategy in most criminal cases. Who's in a hurry to get their client convicted?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 30, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

Actually that's the correct strategy in most criminal cases. Who's in a hurry to get their client convicted?

You don't tell anyone though.
Actually, in quite a few cases, a no time waiver can be a good thing.
It has been said by smarter people than me that the only reason OJ Simpson won is because he didn't waive time and I think waived prelim, meaning the LA county DA only had 60 days to prep a case after arresting him.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

It's whatever people will pay. Hell, you can get on the stand and flat-out loving lie about your bills in Texas. Texas has ruled you can testify as to your fees without having to introduce your bills into evidence. It's a pissing contest between experts (or the attorneys, who will testify themselves).

A jury can say "gently caress you" and reduce those rates though. However, if they award 0, the judge usually steps in.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 5, 2011

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Got accepted into University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law under their Honors program and got a Public Interest Scholarship of 12,000. Will pass to wait a year/try to get better LSATS but my parents are furious at me.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Didn't you say your parents own a practice and want you to work there/take it over someday? Why not just get the degree from anywhere?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Got accepted into University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law under their Honors program and got a Public Interest Scholarship of 12,000. Will pass to wait a year/try to get better LSATS but my parents are furious at me.

I live near McGeorge, don't go to McGeorge. Don't go to McGeorge. They spam me every week begging me to go, I don't know what their Honors program is but 12k isn't much and I'm going to guess "Honors at McGeorge" means absolute poo poo

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005

Ganon posted:

Didn't you say your parents own a practice and want you to work there/take it over someday? Why not just get the degree from anywhere?

Because I want to keep my options open, and I have ambition? My parents are of the mind that I should just go anywhere and come home to work with them, but I am not 100% sure that this is what I want to do. I can do better than this school if I study for the LSAT and retake in time for next Cycle. At worst, I can probably get hella better money than 12,000. If I am going to get into any debt, at least I want some prestige. I can go to the state school for like 4 thousand, after all.

Zealous Abattoir fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 5, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I live near McGeorge, don't go to McGeorge. Don't go to McGeorge. They spam me every week begging me to go, I don't know what their Honors program is but 12k isn't much and I'm going to guess "Honors at McGeorge" means absolute poo poo

McGeorge isn't the worst decision if you can be in the top 10% (or top 25% of th night program) and want to live in Sacramento, the central Valley, or Northern Nevada for the rest of your life.

(This means don't go)

McGeorge offered me a free ride. If you have good LSATs/URM, you might be able to get a lot more. UoP has a lot of money.

(Also, meet me by the ducks, I remember you were law school shopping a while back. If you're from Sacramento and want to come back after law school -- which you shouldn't -- you might want to contact me)

nm fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 5, 2011

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Because I want to keep my options open, and I have ambition? My parents are of the mind that I should just go anywhere and come home to work with them, but I am not 100% sure that this is what I want to do. I can do better than this school if I study for the LSAT and retake in time for next Cycle. At worst, I can probably get hella better money than 12,000. If I am going to get into any debt, at least I want some prestige. I can go to the state school for like 4 thousand, after all.

Hey good for you for being smart about this. Your parents will probably cool off in a month and be happy next year.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Zealous Abattoir posted:

If you really want to defuse this, explain to your parents that if you go to a better law school and operate their practice (effectively, as far as I understand, as a solo practitioner?) your degree prestige will help bolster the profitability/survivability of that practice insofar as it doesn't look like a shingle hung by a degree-mill lawyer in an oversaturated solo market.

I don't know if any of this is true but if your parents believe that McGeorge is a good option they don't strike me as the inquiring sort.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Omerta posted:

I'd like to think so, we've got some smart cookies here. Speaking of, do you think it would be a good idea for me to transfer? 1/2 scholarship (maybe increasing next year), top 1% at Emory, and I really want to clerk and practice in the Deep South. Just started thinking about it because transfer apps comes out this month. If I stayed here, I would graduate with about 50k in debt (assuming I get a firm job 2L summer, I put none of it towards loans, and I don't get a bigger scholarship). Thoughts?

Transferring has worked out pretty cool for me and not to get your hopes up (because transferring is a huge black box which is something we can talk about more) but 1% at Emory should get you into the hunt at Harvard on down. Someone mentioned Duke and Virginia and while I'd shoot apps there for sure given your interests their transfer classes are tiny compared to the big NY schools, Michigan and Berk. I'd apply to Duke, Virginia, Columbia and Harvard for sure. Top 1% is really friggin' good... I dunno I'd prob throw apps to Yale and Stanford too if you have the money with the understanding that those are reaches for a transfer no matter what. I'm thinking you're probably OK staying put with your rank and Emory already being solid in the South if your options were Michigan/Penn/Boalt (do apply to those if you want to clerk really bad and can see yourself practicing elsewhere though).

E: FWIW and this might be just rumor but I've read at a few places that Virginia really prefers residents for transfer purposes.

Stop posted:

Just faxed in the acceptance form for Root. Only had 4 days to decide, but I think I am making the right decision here.

Godspeed sir, although I wanted another goon to join me at TTT Online Dentistry School :smith:

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 5, 2011

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

mutism posted:

Sure didn't. Top ten student at Auckland, reference who worked at CT and no luck. Three interviews so far, but CT was definitely my top choice.

Congrats on the position by the way!

Odd question, but are you in Debsoc?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Anyone here done National Trial Team before? Superfun or stressful death? No guarantee but I'm trying out next week for my school's team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

sigmachiev posted:

Transferring has worked out pretty cool for me and not to get your hopes up (because transferring is a huge black box which is something we can talk about more) but 1% at Emory should get you into the hunt at Harvard on down. Someone mentioned Duke and Virginia and while I'd shoot apps there for sure given your interests their transfer classes are tiny compared to the big NY schools, Michigan and Berk. I'd apply to Duke, Virginia, Columbia and Harvard for sure. Top 1% is really friggin' good... I dunno I'd prob throw apps to Yale and Stanford too if you have the money with the understanding that those are reaches for a transfer no matter what. I'm thinking you're probably OK staying put with your rank and Emory already being solid in the South if your options were Michigan/Penn/Boalt (do apply to those if you want to clerk really bad and can see yourself practicing elsewhere though).

E: FWIW and this might be just rumor but I've read at a few places that Virginia really prefers residents for transfer purposes.

Godspeed sir, although I wanted another goon to join me at TTT Online Dentistry School :smith:

Thanks. UVA is out because they (along with UT) almost never accept out-of-state residents as transfers and I'm not from VA.