Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

PateraOctopus posted:

But seeing as in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly he finds those clothes in another man's possession, when he had them in the first two, I don't think they're really intended to be related at all except stylistically.

You're right about them being only stylistically related, but GBU takes place before Fistful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As for the fact that you can see where previous bullet holes have been mended in Clint's character's clothes, isn't that just because they were literally the same wardrobe pieces, and not for any continuity reason?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I always thought of them in, like, sitcom continuity. Crazy poo poo happens but at the beginning of every episode (and they ARE episodes) it's all back to normal.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Snak posted:

As for the fact that you can see where previous bullet holes have been mended in Clint's character's clothes, isn't that just because they were literally the same wardrobe pieces, and not for any continuity reason?

Probably, but like I said, he also still seems to be recovering from the injuries to his right hand.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

Rake Arms posted:

As for The Man With No Name, there is some continuity. Near the end The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Blondie trades his duster for dead man's poncho. The poncho gets shot through in A Fistful of Dollars, and you can see where it's been mended in For a Few Dollars More. I think he also wears some kind of hand brace in FaFDM because the bad guys stomped on is in AFFoD.

You can also see those mend-spots in GBU, because it's the same prop. He does wear the hand thing in For a Few Dollars More, but it's so he appears to have a more socially-acceptable explanation for why he doesn't use that arm than "so it will be free in the event that I have to shoot you." That's why they call him Monco--one-armed--because unless he's about to murder your rear end you're going to assume his hand doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong, you can totally read continuity into it--and I do enjoy viewing them that way--but it's pretty academic, and in the end it doesn't change much. And sooner or later you have to stop and ask yourself why this guy has such a knack for running into identical twins at separate times, and why he doesn't seem to notice.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

PateraOctopus posted:

You can also see those mend-spots in GBU, because it's the same prop. He does wear the hand thing in For a Few Dollars More, but it's so he appears to have a more socially-acceptable explanation for why he doesn't use that arm than "so it will be free in the event that I have to shoot you." That's why they call him Monco--one-armed--because unless he's about to murder your rear end you're going to assume his hand doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong, you can totally read continuity into it--and I do enjoy viewing them that way--but it's pretty academic, and in the end it doesn't change much. And sooner or later you have to stop and ask yourself why this guy has such a knack for running into identical twins at separate times, and why he doesn't seem to notice.

I like to believe they're all in the same continuity, but even if they're not, Clint Eastwood still plays the same character. He's basically treated as a stock character of old-west mythology, having many adventures without the need for continuity.

However, in GBU, there's a scene where Tuco muses to himself that he used to have a friend named Ramon, who was the villain in AFFoD. He might have been referring to one of the guys that tries to help him kill Blondie, but I don't think any of them were named Ramon. I've always liked to think it was a vague continuity nod to the Rojos in San Miguel.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

He's definitely talking about the eldest of the brothers he hires in that scene--he's addressing him in a coy, playful way to show that A) he knows he's hiding there and B) he's aware of how lovely it is to not see a friend for years and to only come back when you need a favor, but hey buddy, there's cash in it for you.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PateraOctopus posted:

But seeing as in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly he finds those clothes in another man's possession, when he had them in the first two, I don't think they're really intended to be related at all except stylistically.

That's why some consider it a prequel.

http://website.lineone.net/~braithwaitej/mainsite/overview/leone/chrono.htm

At this point the only logical explanation is that it's some sort of multiverse.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Was Al Pacino ever a good actor, was he always an "Acting- Brilliant" actor?

I keep seeing Jon Lovitz's character when I see Al Pacino in any role.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kapalama posted:

Watch The Godfather and/or Dog Day Afternoon and then see if the question still applies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Watch The Godfather and/or Dog Day Afternoon and then see if the question still applies.

Also for a recent example, watch the HBO movie You Don't Know Jack.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In Red Dragon, did Harvey Keitel's character really tell his team to talk to every single news vendor within a six hour radius of the city of Chicago? Did I hear that wrong?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

cheerfullydrab posted:

In Red Dragon, did Harvey Keitel's character really tell his team to talk to every single news vendor within a six hour radius of the city of Chicago? Did I hear that wrong?

The question should be, why are you watching Red Dragon instead of the infinitely superior Manhunter? :(

e: gently caress, now I've got to watch Manhunter again. IT'S JUST THAT GOOD.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kapalama posted:

Give me a break. Have you ever seen Justice for All? Scarecrow? Serpico? Godfather I or II?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

kapalama posted:

My favorite performance of his was Ricky Roma in Glengarry Glen Ross. Definitely check that one out.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Give me a break. Have you ever seen Justice for All? Scarecrow? Serpico? Godfather I or II?

I just watched Heat and his ACTING almost made stop watching it. ("You can get killed WALKING YOUR DOGGIE!") I did end up fast forwarding through most of his scenes after some point which destroys the amazing mood that Michael Mann builds in his movies. Speaking of Manhunter, btw.

(And the answer to the above is not recently. The last few times I have seen Pacino in anything has made me cringe enough that I am hesitant to start watching anything with him in it again. I lived with it in SImone, but I could not finish "Scent of a Woman")

I will give Glengarry Glen Ross a look-see.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kapalama posted:

I just watched Heat and his ACTING almost made stop watching it. ("You can get killed WALKING YOUR DOGGIE!") I did end up fast forwarding through most of his scenes after some point which destroys the amazing mood that Michael Mann builds in his movies. Speaking of Manhunter, btw.

(And the answer to the above is not recently. The last few times I have seen Pacino in anything has made me cringe enough that I am hesitant to start watching anything with him in it again. I lived with it in SImone, but I could not finish "Scent of a Woman")

See, why are you starting with Pacino movies from 1991 or later? He was already waaaay in decline by then (Scent of a Woman can blow me). the early '70s were his peak, easily, just watch anything he made '71-'75 and it's real easy to understand why people considered him possibly the greatest living actor. Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon in particular is one of my favorite film performances by anyone, ever.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 3, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Favorite Pacino movie/performance will probably remain Scarface. For this scene alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2dbF7SK4KI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaV-eovvoM

cheerfullydrab posted:

Six hours by by foot, train, bike or car?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Pacino actually owns in Heat when you realize he's a literal cokehead.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

kapalama posted:

You should do this. It's such a good film.

The problem with the Pacino stuff you're talking about is that in the past he's had so many iconic scenes where he does his scenery chomping bit and it doesn't come across as ACTING because the film has built to this moment and it fits the character and situation. And then you have stuff like like Scent of the Woman where someone's obviously said "you know that scene in Dog Day Afternoon [and you can insert several alternatives here], we want you to be someone who is like that all the time for no apparent reason".

The fact that he got the acadamy award for Scent of a Woman the same year he was nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross makes me sad. And then you look at all the films he was nominated for and didn't win and I remember why I don't give a gently caress about the Oscars.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Dog Day Afternoon is so good and Pacino is so good in it it's almost illegal. It's on Netflix instant, don't look and the description (even though it's not a huge deal, I liked the fact I went into in blind the first time).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Guys, I just watched Analyze That and I don't understand why everyone is so gaga over this DeNiro guy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

FitFortDanga posted:

Guys, I just watched Analyze That and I don't understand why everyone is so gaga over this DeNiro guy.

That's because you have to watch Analyze This first. You can't judge an actor when he's in his decline.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

I hear you bro, DeNiro and that Harvey Keitel guy were the worst part of Little Fockers too. Have they ever really done anything interesting?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kapalama posted:

You had me going until you mentioned S1mone.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

InfiniteZero posted:

I hear you bro, DeNiro and that Harvey Keitel guy were the worst part of Little Fockers too. Have they ever really done anything interesting?
In order to get a feel for why Keitel is so respected you have to watch some of his earlier work, like Mother, Jugs & Speed (1976).

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

SubG posted:

In order to get a feel for why Keitel is so respected you have to watch some of his earlier work, like Mother, Jugs & Speed (1976).

I can't believe the same man who directed such gems as Mother, Jugs & Speed and Krull began his career slumming it with grindhouse schlock like Bullitt and The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Talk about a man who matured with time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In what terrifying universe is Krull a good movie?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The same one where sarcasm was never invented.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

:ughh:

Jeez, man, come on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oh snap. Honestly with some of the discussions around here anymore (a loving Equilibrium thread) I don't know what's real anymore though.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

When up is down, right left, and black is white
When hours pass like minutes on the clock
Take heart: a man is always making light
When "Bullitt" is described as grindhouse schlock.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

But I liked it when I was kid

The part where chewbacca died was really sad :(

no seriously, you could call bullshit on it being a star wars ripoff if it didn't have a trash compacter scene.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snak posted:

But I liked it when I was kid

The part where chewbacca died was really sad :(

no seriously, you could call bullshit on it being a star wars ripoff if it didn't have a trash compacter scene.

I liked that whenever the monsters died they made the R2-D2 terror sound.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
I just wated 1408.

I'm sure there are little clues dotted around the film as to what the room is, how it came to be and why it does what it does rather than just ":emo: it's an evil room".

I'm going to rewatch it to try to find out

But what do the clues (if they are clues) point to?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

spikenigma posted:

I just wated 1408.

I'm sure there are little clues dotted around the film as to what the room is, how it came to be and why it does what it does rather than just ":emo: it's an evil room".

I'm going to rewatch it to try to find out

But what do the clues (if they are clues) point to?

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but in the short story it really is just an evil room. It's rather Lovecraftian and fits with Stephen King's interpretation of evil in many of his works. There is no rational or supernatural origin to this isolated pocket of evil, and that's what makes it so maddening: the room simply is. I seem to recall they stuck fairly true to this idea in the movie.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Rake Arms posted:

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but in the short story it really is just an evil room. It's rather Lovecraftian and fits with Stephen King's interpretation of evil in many of his works. There is no rational or supernatural origin to this isolated pocket of evil, and that's what makes it so maddening: the room simply is. I seem to recall they stuck fairly true to this idea in the movie.

But then why lace the rooms history with various specifics , to drive the observant viewer mad? :confused:

Like the three paintings. Why those three specifically when it doesn't look like the people in the painting (the paintees???) were ever in the room or commited suicide?

It also seems like the events depicted (when the pictures start moving) could have happened long before the hotel was built. I think there was a tudor painting?

Why the specific number 1408? (checked the year, nothing out of the ordinary), 1+4+0+8 = 13 of course. But presumably room 1309 has had nothing bad happen to it, or any other numbered room.

Did everybody who stayed at the room die?, or was it just the 53?

Why was the uneaten food in the hallway focussed on when the room service person was clearly there?

Who sent the postcard in the first place?, are there any clues on it as to the sender?

Argh! :psyboom:

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 5, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

spikenigma posted:

But then why lace the rooms history with various specifics , to drive the observant viewer mad? :confused:

Like the three paintings. Why those three specifically when it doesn't look like the people in the painting (the paintees???) were ever in the room or commited suicide?

It also seems like the events depicted (when the pictures start moving) could have happened long before the hotel was built. I think there was a tudor painting?

Why the specific number 1408? (checked the year, nothing out of the ordinary), 1+4+0+8 = 13 of course. But presumably room 1309 has had nothing bad happen to it, or any other numbered room.

Why was the uneaten food in the hallway focussed on when the room service person was clearly there?

Who sent the postcard in the first place?, are there any clues on it as to the sender?

You weren't too observant.

The 14th floor is actually the 13th floor; there is no room 1309. A lot of old buildings don't have a floor labeled "13" because people are superstitious, so floor 14 is actually floor 13, so you have a room whose number adds up to 13 on floor 13. I'm pretty sure this was explicitly stated in the movie.

Everyone that stayed in the room died - it was likely that each manager made it off-limits after someone died, then when he was replaced the new manager didn't believe the hype and let someone have it, and they died, at which point the manager made it off-limits, and so on.

Details about the room were focused on because that's world-building. It wouldn't have been as interesting a story if we were just told the room was evil and kills people and it was left at that. The pictures were just flavor, not background events.

The rest of your questions are not going to get answered. That's the beauty of the story. King's best works leave the horror largely (or wholly) unexplained - it's doubtful that any explanation he could come up with would be as interesting as what you imagine based on the details given.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

spikenigma posted:

The answer to all your questions is: it's a bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

The answer to all your questions is: it's a bad movie.

Which is too bad because I honestly think the short story is some of Stephen King's best writing. After he gets in the room the narrator starts off thinking normal type thoughts and there's such a slow, subtle transition that you can't even point to one specific place where he goes off the rails, but all of a sudden it hits you -- he's talking about some crazy poo poo now (due to the hallucinatory power of the room). Just perfectly executed by King.