Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Bat Ham posted:

When I was a kid there was this one joystick for the PC that pretty much everyone had. From research I'm pretty sure it was the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. I don't know if it was a limited release thing, or regional or whatever but most people I know had it come bundled with this space combat sim type game. It's on the tip of my tongue but for the life of me I can't remember what that game was called.

Edit: And it definately wasn't a Mechwarrior.

Maybe it was Starlancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Wasn't Freespace or Starlancer. Would've been late 90's I'm pretty sure. The disc cover was a fiery kind of background with the logo and title over the top of it I think.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fury3, maybe? Microsoft loved using that as a freebie.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

trunkwontopen posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game from a long long time ago. It was a side scrolling adventure game, I think it featured a ninja/karate/action type character, and you went through various levels. Most were inside this lair type dungeon, and I distinctively remember one of the later levels having these bolts of electricity that lit up the floor that you had to jump over. I do not remember this character using any type of guns or shooting weapons.

I don't remember the system that it was on, it looked too graphically enhanced to be on the Atari 2600, but I definitely know it wasn't on a PC, because my friend at the time didn't have one, or would even know how to hook one up onto his TV. I can safely date this as being in the 1988-1990 era.

Impossible Mission? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Mission

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Bat Ham posted:

Wasn't Freespace or Starlancer. Would've been late 90's I'm pretty sure. The disc cover was a fiery kind of background with the logo and title over the top of it I think.

If it's not Fury 3, maybe its the sequel- Hellbender

Plunki
Apr 25, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

Another possibility:
Terminal Velocity

Plunki fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 4, 2011

Wild Bearcat Attack
Nov 4, 2008
What game is this? I stumbled upon it in an article and I remember playing it!

EDIT: Maybe you'll have better luck if I post the link

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2011/04/01/an-overload-of-nostalgic-90s-pc-game-screenshots/games_21/

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Okay here goes:

- You play as a dragon. Flying around, shooting flames and stuff. Just generally kicking rear end.
- 3D
- I think it was multiplayer in the fact that you can have a gunner on your dragon too. Perhaps covering your tail? Maybe I'm making this up though.

I want to say I remember seeing game play footage of this around the time a new console was about to come out. It had the feeling of "wow look what this new console can do!"

That's all I've got. Any ideas?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Treytor posted:

Okay here goes:

- You play as a dragon. Flying around, shooting flames and stuff. Just generally kicking rear end.
- 3D
- I think it was multiplayer in the fact that you can have a gunner on your dragon too. Perhaps covering your tail? Maybe I'm making this up though.

I want to say I remember seeing game play footage of this around the time a new console was about to come out. It had the feeling of "wow look what this new console can do!"

That's all I've got. Any ideas?

Around what year was this? If this was 1995ish, you might be thinking of Panzer Dragoon.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Man, that seems like it should be it, but I don't think it was. Perhaps a sequel? I remember it looking a lot more badass. I think it was around the time ps2 came out? Maybe xbox?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Treytor posted:

Man, that seems like it should be it, but I don't think it was. Perhaps a sequel? I remember it looking a lot more badass. I think it was around the time ps2 came out? Maybe xbox?

There are three sequels. Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Panzer Dragoon Saga (also on Saturn), and Panzer Dragoon Orta (on XBox).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Wild Bearcat Attack posted:

What game is this? I stumbled upon it in an article and I remember playing it!

EDIT: Maybe you'll have better luck if I post the link

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2011/04/01/an-overload-of-nostalgic-90s-pc-game-screenshots/games_21/

I know this one because it was posted in the 'Name the Game from the Screenshot' thread. Mystic Towers.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

Panzer Dragoon Orta (on XBox).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was it. Thanks!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Treytor posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was it. Thanks!

The real shame was that there was never a panzer dragoon for the dreamcast.

MetalGnomes
Jan 27, 2011

Looking for the name of an indie game where you could send in a picture of yourself and they'd make a fancy sprite of you and put you in the game. I don't really care to actually play the game, just want to check out those sprites again!

Thanks in advance!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

MetalGnomes posted:

Looking for the name of an indie game where you could send in a picture of yourself and they'd make a fancy sprite of you and put you in the game. I don't really care to actually play the game, just want to check out those sprites again!
The guys behind Wind and Water are doing this, in a way (that is, not for free).

MetalGnomes
Jan 27, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

The guys behind Wind and Water are doing this, in a way (that is, not for free).

That's exactly it. Thanks!

Wild Bearcat Attack
Nov 4, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

I know this one because it was posted in the 'Name the Game from the Screenshot' thread. Mystic Towers.

Thanks!

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I've been trying to remember this game mod, recently. It was for something relatively recent, I think Unreal Tournament 2004? It was singleplayer, a mod entirely in black and white with no sound effects. You were this astronaut guy, exploring an abandoned asteroid base or something like that; it was kinda horror themed. Does anyone remember what this was called?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Looking for a computer game I played somewhere between 1990 and 1996, could have been a bit older than that.
The game screen was mostly trees and you controlled a helicopter putting out forest fires. I think sometimes you would rescue people too? There was an enemy copter that would cause more fires and maybe abduct people.
It may have been a minigame, I really can't say. Pretty sure it was a computer of some sort, the console stayed downstairs.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Drunk Tomato posted:

loving Hellbender, that's it! Never even knew that it was a sequel. Thanks!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Trying to remember the name of a PS1-Sega Saturn era game.

You were in space, and I think there were seemingly invisible aliens.

They liked to use the tagline: No one can hear your screams in space or something like that.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Got another one... PSX game, it was some futuristic racing game. I think that the tracks were in space, twisted all around like some horrible mutated pretzel and I think there was an altitude control and the closer you got the faster you'd go. Also there was a main character you took the role of, I want to say the name was Connor but I have no clue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

They liked to use the tagline: No one can hear your screams in space or something like that.

Enemy Zero? It's one of those weird Kenji Eno games. Every enemy was invisible, so you had to use some sort of meter to detect them.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Years and years ago, I played a 16-color side-scroller in a Gateway 2000. You played a green alien with red hair, collected fruit, and tried to find your parents after your ship crashed.

And at the end you got eaten anyways.
Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was running on DOS.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Shalhavet posted:

Years and years ago, I played a 16-color side-scroller in a Gateway 2000. You played a green alien with red hair, collected fruit, and tried to find your parents after your ship crashed.

That is definitely Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
drat. That was fast.

So it is.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pogonodon posted:

Looking for a computer game I played somewhere between 1990 and 1996, could have been a bit older than that.
The game screen was mostly trees and you controlled a helicopter putting out forest fires. I think sometimes you would rescue people too? There was an enemy copter that would cause more fires and maybe abduct people.
It may have been a minigame, I really can't say. Pretty sure it was a computer of some sort, the console stayed downstairs.

This sounds a lot like SimCopter, but I don't think there was an enemy copter in that game, and the maps were usually more city scape than trees.

edit: There was a UFO that would abduct people and cause fires, though.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 7, 2011

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Looks like no, unfortunately, my mother says it wasn't 3d.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
This one's been bugging me for a while now, can anyone tell me what game these are from?:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I...THINK...those are Fire Emblem sprites.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
That's what I was thinking too, the style seems similar, but I can't find any fire emblem games with any of those in them :(

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm trying to track down a game I saw on Home of the Underdogs back in the day (yo); trouble is, they've changed the layout of their site, and I can't find it. It was a space exploration/trade/combat game that supported up to six players; each of the players had a unique character with his own agenda and a manual containing a lot of numbered paragraphs (like Wasteland) to read off when the computer prompted you to. There were at least two games in the series. The presentation was extremely dry, almost or entirely all text, as the computer largely served as a referee (though you could play it single-player). Anybody know this one?

Zombie Food
Dec 6, 2004
It's an old windows 3.1 game.. I remember the main character was a chick named Vasquez, with a military rank (Lieutennant?). It was a top-down game where you drive a car that reminds me a bit of a vulture from starcraft and battle other cars on the road in a city. In the end of the first episode, she gets blown up somehow and comes back in the second episode as a cyborg.

Zombie Food
Dec 6, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Enemy Zero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb0rFlht0G8&feature=related

Zombie Food fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 10, 2011

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Zombie Food posted:

It's an old windows 3.1 game.. I remember the main character was a chick named Vasquez, with a military rank (Lieutennant?). It was a top-down game where you drive a car that reminds me a bit of a vulture from starcraft and battle other cars on the road in a city. In the end of the first episode, she gets blown up somehow and comes back in the second episode as a cyborg.

Traffic Department 2192. I played this game way too much.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
After groveling through the Underdog site looking for any game that had anything to do with space, I finally found what I'd been looking for: Star Saga, games one and two.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FredMSloniker posted:

After groveling through the Underdog site looking for any game that had anything to do with space, I finally found what I'd been looking for: Star Saga, games one and two.
I own Star Saga Two, with the box and the original materials, in great shape. It was abundantly clear to me when I bought it that the person selling it had absolutely no idea of the amazingness of it all. I feel like I should either treasure it for the rest of my life without ever playing it or try to sell it for a million dollars when I am 80. Or, you know, I suppose, actually play it.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
What was that extremely low-quality, weirdass, first-person bible game for PC? It had polygon graphics, low resolution textures, and I think you could kill people, but you weren't really supposed to. It may have been featured on the SA front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
What is that mostly text-based PC game where you play a student at a Harry Potter-inspired magic academy? There was a thread about this game maybe two years ago, and I've long since forgotten the title.