Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fembot
Jan 31, 2008

"She's a very sexy lady."
This is my brother and sister-in-law's dog. Sometimes he's deceptively cute.

But more often he looks like a troll:

Patches is half shih tzu, a quarter pug, a quarter jack russell, and a hundred percent terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tere
Oct 26, 2010
Something got scrappy's (i didn't name the cur) attention once the webcam clicked. He's a twice rescued pup. Had his hip broke by an old women that beat the poor thing for no real reason. They say he's half pom-pom and half chihuahua. Dog has intense separation anxiety. I've tried to break him of it but he's had it for a long time so chances are he won't get over it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii
Don't be ashamed, Scrappy is an awesome name! :D

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
This dog was just listed at my local animal shelter.

That has to be the strangest husky mix I've ever seen.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
:laffo: It's like a grandpa husky. Most likely some kind of terrier mixed with it.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Kerfuffle posted:

:laffo: It's like a grandpa husky. Most likely some kind of terrier mixed with it.

I'd try to adopt her but husky is a restricted breed with my leasing company. If only I could get her listed as something else. :qq:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

SmuglyDismissed posted:

I'd try to adopt her but husky is a restricted breed with my leasing company. If only I could get her listed as something else. :qq:

If she's small-ish claim she's an Alaskan klee kai mix.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

my dog boyfriend!!! posted:

Hi, Pete.

We have one of these, her name is Lucy and she is the most loving awesome dog ever.

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii

SmuglyDismissed posted:

I think you could safely call that a "terrier mix".

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006
Meet my mutt, Marley!

According to the shelter he's 5 years old and a chow mix, but both my vet and I think there's some shepard in him. He's a real sweetie when he's not being a garbage eating terror (I like to say that he's 80% good and 20% bad, but my husband changes that to 60/40).

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

tere posted:

Something got scrappy's (i didn't name the cur) attention once the webcam clicked. He's a twice rescued pup. Had his hip broke by an old women that beat the poor thing for no real reason. They say he's half pom-pom and half chihuahua. Dog has intense separation anxiety. I've tried to break him of it but he's had it for a long time so chances are he won't get over it.

Our dogs are almost the same color/markings!

I was told shes a GSD mix but I have no clue what she could be. She just looks like a mini gsd.

She gets into a ton of trouble..

But who could be mad at this face?

She has tiny paws, is terrified by wind and has enough energy to keep going for days at a time.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Some pictures of Farlow from today

bored bored bored bored bored

lets me and my back-stripe go for a walk

and chew up sticks

and look around at poo poo

still not too sure about that thing over there...

oh ok!

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

We have one of these, her name is Lucy and she is the most loving awesome dog ever.

Pete really is. He apparently was with an older couple, like mid 70s, who couldn't keep up with him anymore. He is so loving it's almost... a fault? :pwn: Like you could kick his food bowl right out from under him and spank him to death and he'd still come back to you. In fact we played soccer with his food bowl. He thinks it's a game, he all jumpin around trying to pounce on his moving target. Kibble all goin everywhere to the four corners of the kitchen and Emory following around like a vacuum to suck up the stray pieces. There's not an aggressive bone in his body (unless you are a small dog, but then it's less aggression than it is "The better to see you with, my dear! Now come here so i can swallow you whole you little weiner")

P.S. Farlow still has such a sweet puppy face! I'll bet she's hell when she gets a little burst of energy :3::3::3:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

my dog boyfriend!!! posted:

P.S. Farlow still has such a sweet puppy face! I'll bet she's hell when she gets a little burst of energy :3::3::3:

Yep, this is from a few months back but that mentality of "THERE IS A THING I'M GONNA DO SOMETHING WITH IT" is still around

and luckily there's two other dogs to help her use up that energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yrot5CWzKQ

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Meet Dexter. I adopted him yesterday and he has been amazing so far. He is about 11-12 weeks, and the shelter just said he was a terrier mix. I am pretty sure he is mostly rough coated jack russell, but I feel like I see something else in his face, but I cannot put my finger on it. What do you all think? Personality-wise he is all terrier.

He likes sticks. He likes mulch. He likes leaves. He likes anything he can pick up outside and run around with.

He also likes to sleep upside down.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

cryingscarf posted:

Meet Dexter.

He's obviously Adorable Beast crossed with Cute. Obviously.

That said, he looks a lot like my broken-coated JRT, when she was that age. (Linking because she isn't a mutt :ssh:) He's definitely at least half JRT/PRT. Is he more than half coloured, though? He could be crossed with a Patterdale terrier, maybe.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I posted Bailey over in the random nonsense thread, but I figured why not ask here?

The shelter had him listed as an Australian Cattle dog mix, and he got returned from him first adopter because he was destroying stuff to go herd horses in the field next door, so he's obviously got some herding type dog in him.

But, he's pretty stockily built and he's got a very heavy head, he's long but low to the ground...I wanna say he's almost got a Lab type head, but I don't know.

He also doesn't seem horribly energetic. At the moment.

EDIT: He also has a little stump tail.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 4, 2011

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

wtftastic posted:

I posted Bailey over in the random nonsense thread, but I figured why not ask here?

The shelter had him listed as an Australian Cattle dog mix, and he got returned from him first adopter because he was destroying stuff to go herd horses in the field next door, so he's obviously got some herding type dog in him.

But, he's pretty stockily built and he's got a very heavy head, he's long but low to the ground...I wanna say he's almost got a Lab type head, but I don't know.

He also doesn't seem horribly energetic. At the moment.

He's very definitely an ACD -- I'm doubtful whether he's even a mix.

As you can see, this Ch. is crazily heavily built, long and low.

I mean, he's got kind of houndy ears, and houndy chops (I think -- can't really tell from this angle) but everything about him screams ACD. Could be some Lab in him, way down the line. Maybe. I would just think of him as a BYB ACD.

Looks a lot like Ginny Field's ACD, Ginny, actually.

Also, re: the stump, there are ACDs called "Stumpy Tailed Australian blah blah blahs". They're ACDs with a naturally bobbed tail.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

a life less posted:

He's very definitely an ACD -- I'm doubtful whether he's even a mix.

As you can see, this Ch. is crazily heavily built, long and low.

I mean, he's got kind of houndy ears, and houndy chops (I think -- can't really tell from this angle) but everything about him screams ACD. Could be some Lab in him, way down the line. Maybe. I would just think of him as a BYB ACD.

Looks a lot like Ginny Field's ACD, Ginny, actually.

Also, re: the stump, there are ACDs called "Stumpy Tailed Australian blah blah blahs". They're ACDs with a naturally bobbed tail.

My boy friend and I were looking at pictures of the ACDs and we just thought they looked a lot more lithe. Then again this goober has spent almost a year chilling in a kennel, so its hard to tell if his shape is due to poor diet and exercise or what.

I wish I had more info on his parents etc, but in the meantime I hope I'll be able to deal with his drivey-ness once he settles in.

EDIT: Do they need their ears taped to stand? Because his are floppy, but the right shape.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 4, 2011

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

wtftastic posted:

EDIT: Do they need their ears taped to stand? Because his are floppy, but the right shape.

Their ears should stand up naturally when they are puppies, but since we got ours I've looked up and found plenty of pictures of supposedly purebred ACDs with floppy ears.

Ginny's ears are naturally floppy, but will occasionally make a game effort to stand up, usually when she's excited about something. I'd be curious to see if Bailey's do the same!

He's adorable, by the way. Reminds me a lot of Ginny when we first brought her home.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Ginny Field posted:

Their ears should stand up naturally when they are puppies, but since we got ours I've looked up and found plenty of pictures of supposedly purebred ACDs with floppy ears.

Ginny's ears are naturally floppy, but will occasionally make a game effort to stand up, usually when she's excited about something. I'd be curious to see if Bailey's do the same!

He's adorable, by the way. Reminds me a lot of Ginny when we first brought her home.

Yeah, when I first started reading the thread (about a week before I got Bailey), I was surprised by the similarities between the two of them. I had never seen an ACD up close before, so I assumed he was just pretty muttly and lucked out with a nice merle coat.

His ears do sometimes prick up, but mainly when he's laying on the floor looking for belly rubs.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Astro is nine months old and his paper work lists him as a Boston Terrier mix. I think he might have some boxer in him as he stands at about 1'6" paw to shoulder and his lower legs are very long proportionally. He is all bones, I assume from his time in the shelter, but he looks like he'll have a very narrow and spindly build.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Anyone have any idea what the gently caress breed inspired these ears?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm getting this dog on Thursday. What do you think she is? She's full grown and weighs about 60 pounds.

The shelter says saluki/greyhound, but her coat is really wiry.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Skizzles posted:

Anyone have any idea what the gently caress breed inspired these ears?

I <3 your dog, Skizzles. :3: His ears actually remind me of a few GSD mixes I've seen, including my own puppy! Hers are more stand-upey though. But she had littermates who had ears much like that, and I've seen others out and about. They're just trying so hard to be sail-like GSD ears! :3::3:

*cough, cough* GSDearsarethebestears *ahem*

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Phishi posted:

I <3 your dog, Skizzles. :3: His ears actually remind me of a few GSD mixes I've seen, including my own puppy! Hers are more stand-upey though. But she had littermates who had ears much like that, and I've seen others out and about. They're just trying so hard to be sail-like GSD ears! :3::3:

*cough, cough* GSDearsarethebestears *ahem*

It is true. GSD ears give me the squeelies. The rest of him looks very GSD, but those EARS! It's funny when I see him running in the wind and it makes them stand up and I'm like, "Now you're a REAL GSD! :haw:" I always just told people he was a lab/GSD mix, but honestly he acts nothing at all like a lab.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Silver Nitrate posted:

I'm getting this dog on Thursday. What do you think she is? She's full grown and weighs about 60 pounds.

I see dobermann in there I think.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

wtftastic posted:

A vet once told me that standing ears had something to do with calcium intake as a puppy, not sure if he was full of poo poo or not. I do know that a lot of ACDs end up bred away from standard because somebody bred two workin' dawgs together to make more workin' dawgs.

Brisbane's ears were floppy...

...until they weren't.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Silver Nitrate posted:

The nice thing about sighthound mixes is that there's a catch-all term for them - lurcher. :D

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Scary Ned posted:

A vet once told me that standing ears had something to do with calcium intake as a puppy, not sure if he was full of poo poo or not. I do know that a lot of ACDs end up bred away from standard because somebody bred two workin' dawgs together to make more workin' dawgs.

...until they weren't.

Brisbane is cute as a button!

Yeah I read about the calcium and taping for corgis, and I was wondering if it was the same deal for ACDs. He'll occasionally lift his ears up when he's excited or interested in something we're doing.

I am willing to believe he's a working dog puppy. He was returned from his last home because he destroyed fences to get at horses in the field. Drivey as heck. Hates cars, and is interested in squirrels, cats, birds, etc.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Brisbane is not allowed to have unsupervised access to the yard because he will inevitably end up shrieking wildly while trying to herd birds in flight. He gets hysterical over squirrels in our avocado tree and has recently decided that all large trucks are the UPS truck and must die. Finding good outlets for his behavior while managing his OCD is a lot of work, but he's an awesome dog when he isn't a basket case.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Scary Ned posted:

Brisbane is not allowed to have unsupervised access to the yard because he will inevitably end up shrieking wildly while trying to herd birds in flight. He gets hysterical over squirrels in our avocado tree and has recently decided that all large trucks are the UPS truck and must die. Finding good outlets for his behavior while managing his OCD is a lot of work, but he's an awesome dog when he isn't a basket case.

Ah so the cars thing is a herding dog thing too? Bailey hates the sound of loud cars. If they're moving and quiet he doesn't care, but the second the get loud he's ready to start poo poo.

Bailey has started tugging this crate mat out of his crate and leaving it all around the house with some ripping and chewing. He has a ton of other things to destroy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Scary Ned posted:

decided that all large trucks are the UPS truck and must die.

This, Babushka (our chow/acd) has decided that anything with a diesel is her archnemesis. The moment one parks near our house she must kill it, even if she is inside. I'll have to get a picture of her while she is standing on the couch looking out at the UPS truck...

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
Wow, it sounds like I have it good with my basset/ACD mix! Nothing in the environment really seems to set her off, other than not being able to meet the other dogs while on leash. She just seems to bark to get her way, be let inside, have a toy thrown, be let out of the crate, etc.... and we try our best to not give in but she's very persistent. For the sake of our neighbors, we let her in the second she stops barking.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

Scary Ned posted:

...until they weren't.

Look at that ridiculously cute puppy going from roly-poly to all stretched out. I love your Brisbane stories, by the way.

Here's my mutt:

sup mom i killed all the stuffed animals for you

e: table breakage

lionskull fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 7, 2011

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

wtftastic posted:

Ah so the cars thing is a herding dog thing too? Bailey hates the sound of loud cars. If they're moving and quiet he doesn't care, but the second the get loud he's ready to start poo poo.

Bailey has started tugging this crate mat out of his crate and leaving it all around the house with some ripping and chewing. He has a ton of other things to destroy.

Briz has a vendetta against anyone who delivers anything to the house, he can recognize a mail truck a block away, and can hear the UPS truck several streets over. Training him to look away and leave it is hard because he must reconcile his desire to chase/herd/kill with his love for food. Food always wins out.

Brisbane also likes to drag dog beds around the house, but only the really huge heavy ones. I think he gets an ego boost from moving objects larger than himself.

We go to the beach a lot in the winter so he can chase the shorebirds. Sanderlings are great little birds that move in flocks and don't fly very far before landing again. They also only fly on the waterline, so they're great to chase back and forth. Briz is primarily a beach dog, but also loves a trip to the snow.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

El Jebus posted:

This, Babushka (our chow/acd) has decided that anything with a diesel is her archnemesis. The moment one parks near our house she must kill it, even if she is inside. I'll have to get a picture of her while she is standing on the couch looking out at the UPS truck...

School buses are Ginny's nemesis. She seems able to differentiate between them and other large buses/trucks, and will go from a perfectly polite little lady on the leash to a lunging, barking maniac when one goes by. Then she'll stop and look up all proud, as if she scared it away.

Schoolchildren with backpacks upset her, too, so I guess she's just not a fan of education.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Zoso used to hate any delivery truck and even bit the mailman once :ohdear: however on Tuesday when we had a rug delivered, he was outside with my husband, tore around to the front of the house, jumped right into the UPS truck in the passenger side seat and was all ready to go for a CAAAR RIIIIDE! :lol: Luckily the UPS guy had a good sense of humor and clearly had a lot of experience with dogs on his delivery, because he whipped out a treat and let Zoso sit there for a little bit before bringing the rug in.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Haha, just got back from the vet and while he is healthy (and now totally UTD on vaccines), the vet found a tiny tick on him and when he tried to remove it Bailey went loving ballistic. The vet muzzled him and told me to keep an eye out on him.

Now I'm worried. Otherwise he's been so pleasant. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
It usually takes a while for dogs to settle in and show their true personalities, but I wouldn't worry too much. Brisbane has some handling issues, especially with his feet and tail, despite my best efforts in raising him. I just own a muzzle and know what freaks him out, and work on rewarding him for tolerating things.

Did Bailey attempt to go after the vet, or just guard himself?

You may want to talk to a behaviorist now, or if issues show up. I had Brisbane evaluated by a certified veterinary behaviorist, and she was able to identify those issues as either fear or pain. She also pointed out that Brisbane takes a long time to settle after a spaz incident, which has helped me manage him a lot.