Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Obviously the first rule is that to each, his own. However, I'm in the same boat as you. A lot of the tactical stuff makes the game drift away from that 1940's-1950's Propaganda Poster charm that Fallout has. Fortunately there are enough mods for both paradigms to be satisfied.

This is why I liked FWE and why I'm waiting on Project Nevada for New Vegas. They did a great job at re-balancing Fallout 3 and adding a ton of stuff to it without taking away that "Fallout" feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is why I liked FWE and why I'm waiting on Project Nevada for New Vegas. They did a great job at re-balancing Fallout 3 and adding a ton of stuff to it without taking away that "Fallout" feel.

I can't honestly understand why it is taking them so long to release the rebalance module, according to them it would be the easiest module to create but they haven't given any new details on it in forever.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Obviously the first rule is that to each, his own. However, I'm in the same boat as you. A lot of the tactical stuff makes the game drift away from that 1940's-1950's Propaganda Poster charm that Fallout has. Fortunately there are enough mods for both paradigms to be satisfied.

As you say, to each their own but I find a lot of the hardcore so-called 'purists' that only want raygun style 1950's themed kind of weaponry forget that these real guns were around in previous games and such too. Look at the guns in CFWNV, there are a ton of modern, real weapons in that from previous games (albeit with mostly crappy meshes and/or textures). Just because the style at the time of the war was retro didn't mean all those guns disappeared from the vaults of the militaries or people's private armories because they didn't jive with the style at the time.

Same argument I have for guns being clean or newish beyond the Gun Runners making new guns - not every gun would have been exposed to the elements or sitting in the open for a couple centuries. People need to see how they store weapons in military bases, police stations, security stations, shooting ranges, etc to get an idea of just how much protection those sorts of vaults would have given those guns and if they're well maintained and oiled, there's no reason for ALL of them to be rusty, scratched/scraped up beyond belief, etc.

But I understand that not everyone stylistically wants that in their games and they're welcome to fire rusty guns held together with duct tape, rusty chicken wire, and a milk bottle scope using two different prescription lenses if that's the theme they're going for. :)

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hey, talking of Project Nevada, for some reason I can't figure out how to upgrade implants. Am I somehow mentally blocking a section of the readme? What they've released so far is great though, not just the implant features (but especially the vision modes). Sprint, bullet time and grenade hotkeys belong in New Vegas.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing I find kind of funny is the prevalence of WW2 guns in the Fallout games (and mods). I mean, the war is supposed to happen in what, 2067 or something? It's not as if we're swimming in M1 Garands NOW, let alone 50 years in the future, where they'd only still be around as antique pieces.

Though I suppose using older style rifles and such does give the game a more "retro" feel.

With regards to "clean" weapons, I think the issue is more that the world you're coming into doesn't produce any new high-tech weapons, so while weapons in military storage might still be in perfect condition, the weapons you're more likely to run across are weapons from people's stashes that have already seen years of use.

What might be a nice effect, which unfortunately I don't believe would be possible with the engine in Fallout 3/NV (though correct me if I'm wrong) is something like in Far Cry 2 where as your weapon condition deteriorates, the texture goes from being pristine to visibly worn and dirty. That way you get the best of both worlds: weapons found new in storage ARE as nice looking as they should be, while weapons you've been using for a while will look beat up.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Naky posted:

As you say, to each their own but I find a lot of the hardcore so-called 'purists' that only want raygun style 1950's themed kind of weaponry forget that these real guns were around in previous games and such too. Look at the guns in CFWNV, there are a ton of modern, real weapons in that from previous games (albeit with mostly crappy meshes and/or textures). Just because the style at the time of the war was retro didn't mean all those guns disappeared from the vaults of the militaries or people's private armories because they didn't jive with the style at the time.

Same argument I have for guns being clean or newish beyond the Gun Runners making new guns - not every gun would have been exposed to the elements or sitting in the open for a couple centuries. People need to see how they store weapons in military bases, police stations, security stations, shooting ranges, etc to get an idea of just how much protection those sorts of vaults would have given those guns and if they're well maintained and oiled, there's no reason for ALL of them to be rusty, scratched/scraped up beyond belief, etc.

But I understand that not everyone stylistically wants that in their games and they're welcome to fire rusty guns held together with duct tape, rusty chicken wire, and a milk bottle scope using two different prescription lenses if that's the theme they're going for. :)

It's not so much the issue of the condition of weapons, but the whole style of them. Fallout has a divergent timeline and if someone with Aspergers wants to check the Fallout Bible for the exact date that the Fallout universe seperates from ours then that'll support my statement. For me, the whole mood of Fallout is that of a world that never grew out of the mentality of the '50s, but technology advanced all the same. Porting real life weapons into the game, and let me make this clear that it is far beyond my ability and in no way am I belittling it apart from just now, just doesn't seem to fit the theme. I'd rather see new armour and weapons that follow that aesthetic. Instead of laser sights and kevlar, there should be drum magazines and flak jackets... but futuristic!

On the other hand, I can see why there's so many mods that don't fit my exacting standards; New Vegas is a first person shooter with modding built into it from the ground up and with not many of those around it's going to attract all sorts. It's not like you can mod Modern Warfare 2.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I find kind of funny is the prevalence of WW2 guns in the Fallout games (and mods). I mean, the war is supposed to happen in what, 2067 or something? It's not as if we're swimming in M1 Garands NOW, let alone 50 years in the future, where they'd only still be around as antique pieces.

Well a lot of near-future media has weaponry that looks mysteriously like M16s, AK47s, P90s, and M60s. I figure it's a continuation of that kind of trend. This is the past's view of the future, instead of the present's view of the future. Those older styled guns fit in well alongside the "Danger Will Robinson!" robot aesthetic, and stylishly curved automobiles. For example I was stoked at the look of the Laser RCW.

I don't like a lot of added weapons that look more like Mass Effect.

\/\/\/ I know that but I loves me a P90 so I was on the fence about even mentioning it

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 5, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
The P90's in Fallout 2 and that's a pretty modern designed weapon - 1985-1990 was the design period, IIRC. The Enfield is also a pretty modern gun in design terms. Even if the universe branches right at say 1990 that covers just about every gun in my pack's time of design barring maybe a dozen, not including the obviously fake ones. A lot of gun designs have been around for a long time. You just don't see them often because some are obscure or weren't as mass produced as others, but the design, testing, and approval process for new guns is astoundingly long compared to any other 'product' and usually depends on how much interest they get from military and law agencies. But that's a derail for another day.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Finally, a fully animated ak. Unfff.

naky: any idea on how one might go about getting your ak's to animate the bolt going back when the character runs the bolt? i'm such a nerdy douche that that's the only thing stopping me from using your beautiful kalashnikov

BrainGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 5, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

BrainGlitch posted:

naky: any idea on how one might go about getting your ak's to animate the bolt going back when the character runs the bolt? i'm such a nerdy douche that that's the only thing stopping me from using your beautiful kalashnikov

Which one? I'll take a look at it, it was probably an oversight that can easily be corrected.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Naky posted:

Which one? I'll take a look at it, it was probably an oversight that can easily be corrected.

The AK-74 at least, but I thought I saw it with the AK as well. Also, is there a way to give the item in the console? Kinda don't have the containers anymore.

Also, you're the fuckin best and my hero forever.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Naky posted:

:words:

Yeah, I was talking more about the multi-cam, Trijicon, night-vision goggle tactical tailor stuff like the NCR redesign. :colbert:

Come to think of it, Fallout's weapons, in general, were incredibly anachronistic. This is especially true if you consider Fallout Tactics to be canon, with its hodge podge of M1 Garands, M249 SAWs, laser guns, and Steyr Augs.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

BrainGlitch posted:

The AK-74 at least, but I thought I saw it with the AK as well. Also, is there a way to give the item in the console? Kinda don't have the containers anymore.

Also, you're the fuckin best and my hero forever.

Looks like they're using the wrong animation call. They're using ##Bolt when they should probably be ##ChargingHandle. Either way, I'll get it going. Appreciate the bug report though, I need more :D

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Naky posted:

Looks like they're using the wrong animation call. They're using ##Bolt when they should probably be ##ChargingHandle. Either way, I'll get it going. Appreciate the bug report though, I need more :D

Can I fix it via nifskope myself, then?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

BrainGlitch posted:

Can I fix it via nifskope myself, then?

Let me test it first and I'll let you know what I did and how you can change it.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Cool. Also, how would I go about getting it via console?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

BrainGlitch posted:

Cool. Also, how would I go about getting it via console?

The AK-74M is formid 01001C94, the regular is 0100BD5B. Also the ChargingHandle call fixes the problem, but it will also change the location of it. Not a big deal for me to fix, but it does mean that you'll have to wait for the update for it. I'll apply the same fixes to the other AKs too. Any others I might have missed?

edit: though I could give you the new xyz coordinates for it in nifskope if you really, really want it before the update. I don't know how strong you are in nifskope though.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Naky posted:

edit: though I could give you the new xyz coordinates for it in nifskope if you really, really want it before the update. I don't know how strong you are in nifskope though.

I bet I could manage if you gave me a brief little step-by-step. I've been loving around with the program for a while now.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

BrainGlitch posted:

I bet I could manage if you gave me a brief little step-by-step. I've been loving around with the program for a while now.

Might be easier in real time though. Swing by our IRC channel and I can walk you through it without spamming up the thread. (irc.synirc.net, #TheArmory)

Safety Hammer
Sep 14, 2007
I've been working on the textures for a few of these models, trying to get them to not look like melted rear end. In the process of doing this, I've noted a few things that, in case anyone's thinking of making a weapon model for a game, do not need to be modeled on the gun itself. Things like: all of the internal components, the words on the frame/grip/anywhere else, the rifling, and especially the firing pin. It's not like the gun isn't going to shoot if the firing pin is on the texture and not modeled separately. Seriously. So many polys wasted on firing pins.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for The Armory. It's fantastic. M14s! :swoon: Is there a list of the weapons included or something? There's so many! I want all of them!

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

UnoriginalMind posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for The Armory. It's fantastic. M14s! :swoon: Is there a list of the weapons included or something? There's so many! I want all of them!

Sadly, no. I really want to set up a wiki or something where we can make a giant database of them, their stats, what mods go with them, whether they're a low level/mid level/high level gun, etc but I'm just too busy with the udpates.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Safety Hammer posted:

I've been working on the textures for a few of these models, trying to get them to not look like melted rear end. In the process of doing this, I've noted a few things that, in case anyone's thinking of making a weapon model for a game, do not need to be modeled on the gun itself. Things like: all of the internal components, the words on the frame/grip/anywhere else, the rifling, and especially the firing pin. It's not like the gun isn't going to shoot if the firing pin is on the texture and not modeled separately. Seriously. So many polys wasted on firing pins.

Wait, what, seriously? People are modelling internal components of weapons that you'd never ever actually be able to see? And giving things like rifling and writing actual models instead of just using normal mapped textures? :psyduck:

I've never done 3D modelling in my life and even I know not to do that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SheepNameKiller posted:

I can't honestly understand why it is taking them so long to release the rebalance module, according to them it would be the easiest module to create but they haven't given any new details on it in forever.

Don't worry, it's being worked on.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
Also Naky, the AKM and the AKMS have the same model/mesh (in my game at least) when I'm assuming the AKMS should have a folding stock. The stats seem to support this since the AKMS weighs less.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

MadPierrot posted:

Also Naky, the AKM and the AKMS have the same model/mesh (in my game at least) when I'm assuming the AKMS should have a folding stock. The stats seem to support this since the AKMS weighs less.

One has a holotech variant, the other has a scoped. I can't remember why I had to separate the two, but I think I had a pretty good reason at the time...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Naky, who made the Rhino? It reminds me of something from BLAME.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

-Troika- posted:

Naky, who made the Rhino? It reminds me of something from BLAME.

All the badass revolvers are made by Nesterman. PPC (which is real), Rhino, and Raptor (in the newest build). He really kinda went overkill on the Rhino textures until I cleaned it up but he does some pretty neat work.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Isn't with the gunrunners for example a faction right in the game that actively manufactures weapons after old schematics?

The game's timeline makes no sense anyway when you think too hard about it, especially seeing how long the war is over by now, a lot of stuff would've stopped working a long time ago. Contrary to fallout 3, where everything looked like the war happened 5 days ago, the designers of New Vegas picked up on this and hinted everywhere at tech stuff being actively produced, for example the gun runners or michel angelo making neon signs.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Police Automaton posted:

Isn't with the gunrunners for example a faction right in the game that actively manufactures weapons after old schematics?

The game's timeline makes no sense anyway when you think too hard about it, especially seeing how long the war is over by now, a lot of stuff would've stopped working a long time ago. Contrary to fallout 3, where everything looked like the war happened 5 days ago, the designers of New Vegas picked up on this and hinted everywhere at tech stuff being actively produced, for example the gun runners or michel angelo making neon signs.

New Vegas takes place a shorter amount of time after the war than F3, doesn't it? Fallout 3 was kind of ridiculous with its "200 years after the war" timeline. Ten years would have been a lot more believable for the setting.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
According to wikipedia, New Vegas takes place 4 years after fallout 3 and 204 years after the war. :v:

Which makes sense, seeing that a lot of stuff from FO3, (example: enclave) FO2 and FO1 is referenced in NV.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 5, 2011

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Apparerntly Bethesda's policy is that every sequel has to take place chronologically after the previous game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Not to turn this into a plausability discussion, but Bethesda got so many things wrong, because they probably don't give a slightest gently caress about things like that. In New Vegas you can see people growing crops and making guns and poo poo, but FO3 has none of that, not even a bit logical settlement placement. I know the logic wasn't too strong in first two Fallouts, but Bethesda totally killed it. My personal pet peeve are those loving aliens, easter egg that they turned into canon. (and don't you dare calling wanamingos aliens :argh: )

No, sir, no aliens in my canon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Crow posted:

To be fair, this is loving awesome.

Some of those pictures for the laser katana have the player holding two unique things at once, or so it seems. Have modders figured out how to equip two weapons at once? Because I'd love a mod that let me use a pistol/smg and a laser pistol or something at once.

quote:

No, sir, no aliens in my canon.

At least it justifies me using the Alien Blaster for basically the last half of FO1.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 5, 2011

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks again Naky and everyone else who worked on The Armory; it's fantastic. Still early on in the game (Just hit Novac) and I'm already not bothering to use any of the vanilla guns.

Anyone got a recommendation for a custom ammo mod? Didn't see one in the OP (Unless the armory also includes this and I've just been too thickheaded to notice).

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

lordfrikk posted:

Not to turn this into a plausability discussion, but Bethesda got so many things wrong, because they probably don't give a slightest gently caress about things like that. In New Vegas you can see people growing crops and making guns and poo poo, but FO3 has none of that, not even a bit logical settlement placement. I know the logic wasn't too strong in first two Fallouts, but Bethesda totally killed it.

I dunno, this honestly kind of made sense to me. I mean, I doubt Vegas got hit all that hard by super doomwar - who cares about depriving your enemy of lovely valueless condos, stage shows and ten billion slot machines? Not exactly a primary nuclear warhead target. So they're pretty well along putting themselves back together, since they suffered more from general societal collapse.

Meanwhile, Washington DC probably got the rear end hammered off of them harder than anywhere else, combined with a Super Mutant wave shortly afterwords. It doesn't seem out of place that the DC Wastelanders are still scraping by and barely surviving while Vegas folks have relearned the joys of vegetable husbandry.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Some of those pictures for the laser katana have the player holding two unique things at once, or so it seems. Have modders figured out how to equip two weapons at once? Because I'd love a mod that let me use a pistol/smg and a laser pistol or something at once.

In Oblivion they made 'dual wield' mods by classing the offhand 'weapon' as a shield. Perhaps he's somehow reactivated the shield functionality in Gamebryo?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Sinatrapod posted:

I dunno, this honestly kind of made sense to me. I mean, I doubt Vegas got hit all that hard by super doomwar - who cares about depriving your enemy of lovely valueless condos, stage shows and ten billion slot machines? Not exactly a primary nuclear warhead target. So they're pretty well along putting themselves back together, since they suffered more from general societal collapse.

Meanwhile, Washington DC probably got the rear end hammered off of them harder than anywhere else, combined with a Super Mutant wave shortly afterwords. It doesn't seem out of place that the DC Wastelanders are still scraping by and barely surviving while Vegas folks have relearned the joys of vegetable husbandry.

Mr. House stopped a shitload of nukes from falling, via both hacking the missiles remotely and also lasers atop his casino. It's one of the least affected zones in the Fallout universe, and why most of the fresh water is uncontaminated.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I believe the Black Mountain facility also had GPS jamming equipment or something. So many missiles were unable to target the city (and had a lot of empty land to hit), were screwed out of arming or hacked, or simply shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Metal Meltdown posted:

Thanks again Naky and everyone else who worked on The Armory; it's fantastic. Still early on in the game (Just hit Novac) and I'm already not bothering to use any of the vanilla guns.

Anyone got a recommendation for a custom ammo mod? Didn't see one in the OP (Unless the armory also includes this and I've just been too thickheaded to notice).

I really hate recommending xCaliber but a lot of people use it so there's that, but none of the guns natively support it. I think Safetyhammer did a compatibility version for 1.5 that he could throw up for you guys that want it though. I'm so tempted to do my own ammo mod, but would definitely cause incompatibilities with xCaliber.