Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Has anyone ever taken the Post Office exam or whatever you have to do to work there? Or know anyone who has? Apparently they're hiring in my area, but it's not like a normal application- you have to schedule some test before you apply.

I just went through my Indeed.com job report, and again found absolutely 0 jobs worth applying to. But everyone on the planet needs a goddamn secretary or temporary part time work.

gently caress me, I'm getting to the point where I don't even feel the need to keep applying because I know it will never get me anywhere. I will live and die working for CVS as long as they will have me. Goddammit, I hate my life. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

-Troika- posted:

How often do people in a line heckle someone who is giving the cashier a hard time? Does this happen at all?
Usually never from what I've seen. Sadly I wouldn't say anything either in fear that said customer might actually run into me at where I work and make my life hell.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TShields posted:

Has anyone ever taken the Post Office exam or whatever you have to do to work there? Or know anyone who has? Apparently they're hiring in my area, but it's not like a normal application- you have to schedule some test before you apply.

Who cares? Just schedule it, possible net loss = 0

Skttrbrain
Apr 6, 2008

TShields posted:

You should be able to pick up a practice exam at any post office. There is some memory recall for zip codes, etc. that's all I remember.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Skttrbrain posted:

You should be able to pick up a practice exam at any post office. There is some memory recall for zip codes, etc. that's all I remember.

There's also test prep books in the library. 351.5 pos, iirc.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

ijii posted:

Usually never from what I've seen. Sadly I wouldn't say anything either in fear that said customer might actually run into me at where I work and make my life hell.

Depends on the store. Where I work, we have a bunch of amazing regulars, and if anyone even dreams of giving us a hard time, they get stopped pretty quickly.

Then again, I'm in food service, so it may be different.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Yeah I'm not afraid of taking the exam, was just wondering if anyone ever had. May schedule it for next week.

I have a "customer buddy", i.e., a customer who I regularly carry on conversations with but don't know outside of work, and he came in looking absolutely exhausted. I mentioned how tired he looked and he said it wouldn't get better until Thursday and he said he hated his life. I concurred, and mentioned that I have all this education and potential but can't manage to get out of retail. He said that he has the same stuff and is stuck "working for the state." I told him "Oh, really? I've been trying to get a job with the state. I'd much rather work for them." His only reply was "That's pretty sad, bro."

:smith:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

TShields posted:

His only reply was "That's pretty sad, bro."

:smith:

Different kind of pain, but eternal, burning pain it is. However, now if someone tries to touch me, let alone deck me, they get ejected from the building :buddy:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

2508084 posted:

Different kind of pain, but eternal, burning pain it is. However, now if someone tries to touch me, let alone deck me, they get ejected from the building :buddy:

Just knowing the guy, it has to be a desk job, so nothing that exciting, haha. If I didn't have a line I would have asked him what he did exactly. Maybe next time.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I wonder if he does something like process driver's licenses. The call center supporting the online software for renewing all kinds of licenses was horrible enough. I'm sure the goobers I had to bounce over there didn't make their day.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

My dad used to work in the Social Security department thing back when he was in his late twenties or so. He says it was the worst job he ever had, and led to his (currently 40 year long) chain smoking and drinking habits. And this is a man who later became a land surveyor in Florida and regularly had to sneak past 'gators and trudge through waist high swamp waters to get to his sites.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I've been thinking more and more about how the lowest paid jobs should be afforded the most perks, and vice versa. Clean the bathroom for minimum wage? Heck no! That's for someone that can afford a mortgage!

I should probably stop this line of thinking.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Meow Cadet posted:

I've been thinking more and more about how the lowest paid jobs should be afforded the most perks, and vice versa. Clean the bathroom for minimum wage? Heck no! That's for someone that can afford a mortgage!

I should probably stop this line of thinking.

As long as you realize that you're wrong, there's no harm to you :smith:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

As long as you realize that you're wrong, there's no harm to you :smith:

You sound like you need more perks, go hog wild and take your full federally mandated break today.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

-Troika- posted:

How often do people in a line heckle someone who is giving the cashier a hard time? Does this happen at all?

Yeah, I was That Guy one time at a petrol station. The person in front of me in the line was having a go at the cashier because they didn't take Motorcharge or Motorpass or something (some sort of pre-paid fuel thing?). I ended up telling him that there were signs on the pumps saying 'WE DO NOT ACCEPT MOTORPASS OR MOTORCHARGE' and walked him out of the store and showed him. I think I told him something along the lines of making a scene and being a jerk to the guy at the register wasn't going to change the outcome of the situation while walking back into the store, and the guy apologised to the cashier through gritted teeth.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

froglet posted:

Yeah, I was That Guy one time at a petrol station. The person in front of me in the line was having a go at the cashier because they didn't take Motorcharge or Motorpass or something (some sort of pre-paid fuel thing?). I ended up telling him that there were signs on the pumps saying 'WE DO NOT ACCEPT MOTORPASS OR MOTORCHARGE' and walked him out of the store and showed him. I think I told him something along the lines of making a scene and being a jerk to the guy at the register wasn't going to change the outcome of the situation while walking back into the store, and the guy apologised to the cashier through gritted teeth.

I used to love it when someone would be That Guy for me when I was at work. Sadly you also have the Opposite Guy, the guy who stands up for the customer when they're giving the cashier a hard time and the cashier is clearly losing their patience. I only had this happen to me once, when a customer was making a huge fuss and I found out it was just for the sake of making a fuss. I lost my cool a bit and a customer in the line (not waiting on me, I should point out, I was talking to the troublesome customer away from the register while a co-worker ran it) decided to shout at me for "mistreating" the guy. Like he had any idea what the issue was. Unfortunately he was buying fuel so I couldn't just refuse him service.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I was in the line at the grocery store when a woman paid for her 3 times, in express, with a hundred dollar bill. When the cashier checked the bill, the woman goes "It better be real i got it from the bank!!"

There was a split second of hatred in the cashiers eyes before she went into fake laugh "OH THATD BE AWFUL HAAAAAA BANKS!!"

God I hated that line when I cashiered.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I get it. The lady was trying to be nice and make a joke to the cashier. That sounds unbearable.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Someone up there is looking out for me.. A big line of storms rolled through NC this morning, and the store power died right as me and the cashier walked in the building. It was off from 6:45 until 9:05. But with our systems being down, the store wasn't functional until after 10. Good times! And I get off at 1:00 today, horay!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

three posted:

I get it. The lady was trying to be nice and make a joke to the cashier. That sounds unbearable.

You ever have a kid make the same unfunny joke over and over and over and over? At the end of the day you want to slam that kid into the ground and tell him to shut the hell up.

Customers are like that little kid.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

My dad once got a standing ovation for bitching out an old lady that tried to cut in front of everybody at the checkout just because she was old and felt she deserved it.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

AlmightyBob posted:

My dad once got a standing ovation for bitching out an old lady that tried to cut in front of everybody at the checkout just because she was old and felt she deserved it.

I had an asian woman flip her poo poo over some guy asking her if he could cut infront of her due to the size of their orders (she had a huge cart of poo poo, he had like a pack of gum).

That was fun to hear f-bombs dropping all the way from the front of the store to the back of it in toys.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

three posted:

You've clearly not worked eight or more hours on a checkout and been told seven hundred times that an item that won't scan must be free. Or that a banknote was printed that morning by the customer.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Robzor McFabulous posted:

You've clearly not worked eight or more hours on a checkout and been told seven hundred times that an item that won't scan must be free. Or that a banknote was printed that morning by the customer.

It's the same reason we all paid :10bux: here. So we don't have to hang out with retards who post garbage for teh win. lolz!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

Someone up there is looking out for me.. A big line of storms rolled through NC this morning, and the store power died right as me and the cashier walked in the building. It was off from 6:45 until 9:05. But with our systems being down, the store wasn't functional until after 10. Good times! And I get off at 1:00 today, horay!

Meanwhile, I had 5 shingles fly off my roof, and untold damage done by the rain. Wee!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Its the equivalent of this joke

Knock Knock
whos there
banana
banana who
knock knock

repeat, repeat, repeat except we cant punch customers, like we can family, until they stop with the stupid loving joke. Its not funny, it'll never be funny, you are not funny but I will be written up if I don't laugh at the stupid loving thing.

Also, i dont confront people because chances are if they go to management to complain, they'll complain about the cashier

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

TShields posted:

Sounds like a good day.
Not like the time the power was knocked out in a gas station I was working in for two days.
And everyone still had to come in. And I had overnight shifts.
First night was fun because FREE ICE CREAM!!!, but by the second day the ice cream had melted and was thrown away.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Flavor Bear posted:

Sounds like a good day.
Not like the time the power was knocked out in a gas station I was working in for two days.
And everyone still had to come in. And I had overnight shifts.
First night was fun because FREE ICE CREAM!!!, but by the second day the ice cream had melted and was thrown away.

Ugh, this reminds me of the time my petrol station had the power turned off for four or five hours while work was done on something or other. The pumps wouldn't work but the boss had us keep the shop part open anyway. So every time anyone walked in I'd tell them what was going on, and that it was strictly cash only. I doubt anyone in this thread needs very long to guess how many times people then went on to put a basket full of stuff on the counter, wait for me to add up all the prices by hand, then pull a card from a wallet devoid of cash. Hint - Lots.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

three posted:

Again, I must stress...

I want to make another one for the $100 joke, but, can't really think of a capper.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Dodgeball posted:

I want to make another one for the $100 joke, but, can't really think of a capper.

ive always wanted to call security, who calls the police to investigate a public confession of felony counter-fitting.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

2508084 posted:

ive always wanted to call security, who calls the police to investigate a public confession of felony counter-fitting.

It should just keep escalating. Security to cops. Cops to FBI. FBI to secret service counterfeit division. When the culprit finally says, "Look, I was only kidding!", Joke police.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Dodgeball posted:

It should just keep escalating. Security to cops. Cops to FBI. FBI to secret service counterfeit division. When the culprit finally says, "Look, I was only kidding!", Joke police.

then scream "JUST KIDDING HAAAAAAA but itll be another hour wait, my managers in a meeting right now and no one has enough to clear this."

Ah god that reminded me of the guy who said he had nothing but 100$ bill to pay for his 5$ order with. I got to tell him he was holding a 20 in the other hand. That was a good shift.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

2508084 posted:

Ah god that reminded me of the guy who said he had nothing but 100$ bill to pay for his 5$ order with. I got to tell him he was holding a 20 in the other hand. That was a good shift.

A friend of mine used to work in a small coffee shop, and he had a woman come in, first customer of the morning, and offer a twenty pound note for a £2 coffee. My mate asked if she had any change since he'd just opened and didn't have much. She said "I do, but I don't want to give it to you!" So he went to the back office safe, got a couple of bags of ten pence pieces and slooooowly counted out £18 in change for her. I'm told the look on her face was priceless, and she went ahead and scooped the whole lot into her purse and left without a word.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So he went to the back office safe, got a couple of bags of ten pence pieces and slooooowly counted out £18 in change for her. I'm told the look on her face was priceless, and she went ahead and scooped the whole lot into her purse and left without a word.

Instead of actually doing that: "I've got to go to the back safe, this could take a while are you sure you want to wait?"

If she waits, after 10 minutes: "Looks like they took the lot to the bank, only 10p pieces back here, will that work?"

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

baquerd posted:

Instead of actually doing that: "I've got to go to the back safe, this could take a while are you sure you want to wait?"

If she waits, after 10 minutes: "Looks like they took the lot to the bank, only 10p pieces back here, will that work?"

He told her he'd just opened and had no useful change for her, then asked politely if she could pay with smaller change instead, but she decided to be a bitch and straight-up refuse to use the change she told him she had. At that point she gave up any right to a reasonable response.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

He told her he'd just opened and had no useful change for her, then asked politely if she could pay with smaller change instead, but she decided to be a bitch and straight-up refuse to use the change she told him she had. At that point she gave up any right to a reasonable response.

Definitely, my point was just that he could have dragged that out and notched the :smug: factor up.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Ugh, this reminds me of the time my petrol station had the power turned off for four or five hours while work was done on something or other. The pumps wouldn't work but the boss had us keep the shop part open anyway. So every time anyone walked in I'd tell them what was going on, and that it was strictly cash only. I doubt anyone in this thread needs very long to guess how many times people then went on to put a basket full of stuff on the counter, wait for me to add up all the prices by hand, then pull a card from a wallet devoid of cash. Hint - Lots.

This is almost as bad as about 100 jackasses who can't understand that when you put a not up on the card machine that says "ELECTRONIC PEN DOES NOT WORK, CARD MACHINE WORKS, ASK CASHIER FOR RECEIPT TO SIGN" that it doesn't mean anything else that what it actually says.
The cord for the pen attached to the card machine snapped so the pen wouldn't write anymore and people kept slamming the pen into the plastic screen trying to get it to work. When that wouldn't work, they'd try to pick up a regular pen pen to write on the plastic screen with. So I got fed up and put a note up that said what it says above. I cannot tell you how many times I heard, "What does this mean?" over and over and over again over the course of like 4 days. What the gently caress do you think it means, dumbass?

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

silversiren posted:

What the gently caress do you think it means, dumbass?

One of the things my friends found most amazing about the horror stories I'd tell about my time at the petrol station was the sheer number of people who didn't understand the concept of a "take a penny, leave a penny" tray. At a petrol station it would get used a fair bit, since people would aim for an exact cash amount of fuel and would accidentally go over by a penny or two. It was crazy how often I had to slowly explain the concept to people. In the end I just gave up, and if someone said "Oh no, I went a penny over" or something, I'd just say "Hey, don't worry about it!" and once they'd gone I'd drop a penny in the till from the tray. Even then, there were plenty of people who'd try and give me an extra tenner to cover the penny, then say they'd quite like the change. "I'm sure you would," I'd say, "but I'm not a bank, sorry."

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

One of the things my friends found most amazing about the horror stories I'd tell about my time at the petrol station was the sheer number of people who didn't understand the concept of a "take a penny, leave a penny" tray. At a petrol station it would get used a fair bit, since people would aim for an exact cash amount of fuel and would accidentally go over by a penny or two. It was crazy how often I had to slowly explain the concept to people. In the end I just gave up, and if someone said "Oh no, I went a penny over" or something, I'd just say "Hey, don't worry about it!" and once they'd gone I'd drop a penny in the till from the tray. Even then, there were plenty of people who'd try and give me an extra tenner to cover the penny, then say they'd quite like the change. "I'm sure you would," I'd say, "but I'm not a bank, sorry."

These are the people who obviously have never worked a day of retail in their life. They were born with a silver spoon in their mouth or they know people who know people and never had to work retail. We retail people, we understand, and at least I think we don't act like complete dipshits when we're the customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
One of the most obnoxious things to happen was when my manager finally instilled a policy that we were able to refuse a transaction that would rob us of change, seeing as how a gas station in the middle of the ghetto is a prime target for robbery so we weren't allowed to keep more than about $40 in the till at any time. I still had people just coming in to make change, and every time I flat-out refused it. I once even had to tell a guy who wouldn't drop it that "this isn't a bank" and he yelled insults at me. Tough poo poo jackass, go to a drat bank, or any other store on the street.

The worst though was some guy who thought he'd be clever and try to buy a 5 cent piece of candy with a $20 bill. I refused to just break the bill and after about a minute or so of deliberation in his car he came in with this brilliant scheme. There are few times when I've been :smug: and proud of it but that was one of them.