Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hedrigall posted:

But Deathly Hallows part 1 wasn't in 3D :confused:

It was a dark muted mess with a color palate that belongs in an Underworld movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Hedrigall posted:

Dahl is obviously a huge influence on Rowling and the first book at least has that very British "hello there children, why don't you gather around while I tell a wonderfully silly tale! There once was a boy..." story-teller tone. But later on (and especially from book 3 onwards) Rowlings develops her own style, which is crowned by her perfect knack for characters.

I was thinking more along the lines of how the first four chapters or so Harry is basically Matilda.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

geeves posted:

PoA might have been - but it completely butchered the them of the book (Harry discovering his father and friends after two book being mainly focused on his mother's eyes). The end was a complete clusterfuck and themeless in that it squandered potentially great performances by Spall and Oldman and Thewlis (sp).

Seriously, what was the point about Lily's mention by Lupin? Other than idiocy? It doesn't fit. PoA was Harry's journey of finding his father in a way that is then screwed up in OotP and Snaps memories.

After the 2nd Deathly Hallows, there REALLY needs to be an HBO-style mini-series. The Potter Books simply do not translate well to cinema.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of how the first four chapters or so Harry is basically Matilda.

This is why I originally kept reading the first time I read Philosopher's Stone. I'd read all of the Roald Dahl books my local library had and I thought this would be more of the same :3:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

THE HORSES rear end posted:

After the 2nd Deathly Hallows, there REALLY needs to be an HBO-style mini-series. The Potter Books simply do not translate well to cinema.

I'm not so sure the books themselves would translate into any visual media well, at least without adding more scenes from the other characters view. Now the setting and characters (or just the setting) could be used for entertaining TV.

A mini series about aurors (as the april fools thing), the inner workings of the ministry, foreign wizard cultures, goblin uprisings...

Of course if you wanted to make bank on it you would have to set it in Hogwarts, but even that could be pretty fun.

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Long story short: I bought the first Harry Potter book today and started reading it for the first time. I've seen the first 4+ movies when they came out, but obviously only casually.I also know pretty much all the spoilers, but this is the very first time I've ever read anything Rowling has written. I read the first 70 pages today in the bath. If you wonder what it's like to read chapter one without knowing where the story is actually going, directly, but with knowing Snape kills Dumbldore because he wanted to nail Harrys mom and it was all a secret conspiracy to pretend it was a conspiracy for some reason also Dumbeldore was gay alll along but never actually gay! feel free to ask.

So far I'm surprised how much it reminds me of Roald Dahl. I was actually expecting it to remind me more of Pratchet, which it doesn't at all so far.

e: the tag is "spoiler," not "spoilers" apparently.

Google "Mark reads harry potter", who basically beat you to the whole 'someone who's never read harry potter shares their experiences while reading the book a chapter at a time' deal.

Maybe you could read along with his reviews as you read through the series.

Also, get back to the bad thread! This series is done, no use rehashing it endlessly.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Scissors posted:

Google "Mark reads harry potter", who basically beat you to the whole 'someone who's never read harry potter shares their experiences while reading the book a chapter at a time' deal.

I stopped reading his stuff because it went from interesting reviews from a first timer to endless posts of "OMG YOU GUYS THIS IS THE SADDEST THING IN THE WORLD!!!!" and tons of animated gifs

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Hedrigall posted:

I stopped reading his stuff because it went from interesting reviews from a first timer to endless posts of "OMG YOU GUYS THIS IS THE SADDEST THING IN THE WORLD!!!!" and tons of animated gifs
I tried to skip that when I could.

He loving went overboard with that poo poo (and I mean moreso, compared to the HP reviews) for the Hunger Games books. I don't even want to think about how he's handling The Book Thief.

He basically needs to be reading a series that is poo poo again.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hedrigall posted:

Yes, it quickly became unreadable. I would however love to see a reread done in the style of the one currently on Tor.com for the Malazan Books of the Fallen. Someone who hasn't read the books and someone who has writing down their thoughts on it. Both of them able to string together full sentences without resorting to smileys for every second word.

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good

Hedrigall posted:

Also you will very soon come to realise that the movies are a festering pile of poo poo compared to the books (with the exception of movies 3 and 7.1 so far)

I've never really gotten into the movies, except like you've stated Movie 3 is the best by far. It embodied the whole epic magic universe into the movie! Movie 4 has to be the worst!

Also I would've loved this show to have been really made! Shame it was only a prank, but ohhhhh the potential!
http://youtu.be/2WhhS2maFEs

Placenta_Souffle fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 7, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Placenta_Souffle posted:

I totally agree! Daniel Radcliffe does not Look like Harry in my opinion. I've never really gotten into the movies, except like you've stated Movie 3 is the best by far. It embodied the whole epic magic universe into the movie! Movie 4 has to be the worst!

Also I would've loved this show to have been really made! Shame it was only a prank, but ohhhhh the potential!
http://youtu.be/2WhhS2maFEs

One of the biggest disappointments was movie 5. It's the longest book, yet the shortest movie. A few things were good, like the way they did the D.A. lessons, and Imelda Staunton is awesome. But most of it was atrocious steaming crap.

Someone described the movies as sort-of a greatest hits reel of the books, showing all the action highlights but not really making any sense together. The action is great, and the characterisations are usually pretty good, but the plot of nearly every movie is just awful, to the point where they gloss over critical information (the map was made by Harry's dad & friends; what the prophecy means; and so on) for literally no reason. Movies 4 and 5 are the most like this.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
The most jarring transition from the 5th movie onwards was the abandonment of John Williams' iconic score and even Patrick Doyle, though no Williams, made a really enjoyable score. Hooper was utterly forgettable and I feel even Alexandre Desplat can't quite summon that emotional warmth that the initial soundtracks had.

My fingers are crossed for the soundtrack to Pt II.

coffin
Mar 4, 2011

I'm just showing up to say that I'm reading fanfiction for the first time in at least five years, and that it is terrible and it is all your fault. All of the people who recommended Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality should feel ashamed of themselves. First-year Harry is generally the most endearing of all the Harry Potters, and yet somehow the author has managed to turn him into the most insufferable, annoying character possible.

I hope Voldemort kills him by the end of the story.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

coffin posted:

I'm just showing up to say that I'm reading fanfiction for the first time in at least five years, and that it is terrible and it is all your fault. All of the people who recommended Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality should feel ashamed of themselves. First-year Harry is generally the most endearing of all the Harry Potters, and yet somehow the author has managed to turn him into the most insufferable, annoying character possible.

The author of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality runs a terrible transhumanist singularity website, makes up a bunch of poo poo about AI despite having zero qualifications, and writes pages and pages of text about how he doesn't need things like "evidence" and "peer review" because he's so right about everything that the scientific method just slows him down. People who recommend Methods of Rationality are the atheist equivalent of Christians who tell people to read Left Behind because "it's a good book even if you're not religious!"

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

coffin posted:

Yeah, I kind of gave up on that when Draco and Harry as 11 year olds were talking about hypothetical rape.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The author of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality runs a terrible transhumanist singularity website, makes up a bunch of poo poo about AI despite having zero qualifications, and writes pages and pages of text about how he doesn't need things like "evidence" and "peer review" because he's so right about everything that the scientific method just slows him down.

So, basically, the Dunning-Kruger Effect in action, then?

coffin
Mar 4, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The author of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality runs a terrible transhumanist singularity website, makes up a bunch of poo poo about AI despite having zero qualifications, and writes pages and pages of text about how he doesn't need things like "evidence" and "peer review" because he's so right about everything that the scientific method just slows him down. People who recommend Methods of Rationality are the atheist equivalent of Christians who tell people to read Left Behind because "it's a good book even if you're not religious!"

The problem is that I'm the sort of person who can't just stop reading something in the middle of it. I've started this terrible journey, and now I must watch in vague disgust as the author shits on everything I love.

How does this awful mess have such a following?! How can anyone say that it's better than the actual Harry Potter?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

coffin posted:

The problem is that I'm the sort of person who can't just stop reading something in the middle of it. I've started this terrible journey, and now I must watch in vague disgust as the author shits on everything I love.

How does this awful mess have such a following?! How can anyone say that it's better than the actual Harry Potter?

I think it appeals to people who literally have aspergers. I seriously mean that. There is something wrong with people who like that fanfiction let alone the person who wrote it.

It soldiered through it as well because I like finishing things, and it really is a special kind of terrible.

Harry Potter is a sociopath. There is a scene where a now "badass" Quirrel who teaches "battle magic" gets Harry Potter to list ways to murder people with items in the room.

And again, I have to repeat there is like a page of where Harry and Draco as 11 year olds discuss hypothetically raping Luna to prove some magical soda correct.

It's really a bizarre self insert mary sue by someone with really weird issues.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
As soon as I heard the summary for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, I cringed inwardly and backed away. I mean, I majored in a scientific field, but drat.

My first instinct is to recommend something legitimately good to wash the taste out of your mouth, but it's been a long while since I read much Potter fanfic, and I don't know if what my younger self remembers as "legitimately good" holds up over time.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

lol, 'Good' Harry Potter fanfic

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

reflir posted:

Hey, don't knock it. There are some good gen (general, not pairing) fics out there, but they're hard to find. I just can't think of any off the top of my head because I prefer ships...

edit: Remembered one. A Year Like None Other by aspeninthesunlight. It's a bit of a stretch in that Snape adopts Harry and Harry and Draco eventually become friends ("brothers in arms"), but hey, it's better than that tripe linked up there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

daggerdragon posted:

It's a bit of a stretch in that Snape adopts Harry and Harry and Draco eventually become friends ("brothers in arms"), but hey, it's better than that tripe linked up there.

It might be better than necro vampire bondage pedo Snape/Harry slash but that still sounds really terrible.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

reflir posted:

Rambo Potter and the Deathly Bloodbaths

:smug:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Rambo Potter and the Deathly Bloodbaths

:smug:

I'd read it.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

daggerdragon posted:

Snape adopts Harry

This does not exactly make for a compelling argument

The only fanfic I'd ever read would have to be by other actual (as opposed to 'internet') authors. Haruki Murakami, William Gibson or China Mieville writing Harry Potter would loving own

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

reflir posted:

The only fanfic I'd ever read would have to be by other actual (as opposed to 'internet') authors. Haruki Murakami, William Gibson or China Mieville writing Harry Potter would loving own

I'm going by "well-written and imaginative" as a criterion, not "strictly adheres to canon".

That's all right, though. Not everyone wants to read fanfiction, "good" (which is subjective) or not, simply because it's just not canon. Different strokes for different folks :)

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2011

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003

reflir posted:

What about Neil Gaiman?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I left him out to forestall the obvious 'The Books of Magic :smug:' reply

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

haha, it's a special kind of meta to be fantasy casting dream authors to write harry potter fanfic.

I think the worst part of fanfic is that it should really be confined to someone's imagination. Sharing that can be really way too much information. ESPECIALLY slash/fic which I've fortunately never really read. I can't imagine anyone who has read Rowling that hasn't entertained the notion of going to Hogwarts and thinking it'd be super cool - but unfortunately the internet almost encourages people to vomit out their twisted imaginations.

It's especially awkward when people feel they have stronger ownership than the creator of the characters.

I think most author's tend to fall in the "well if you're going to write, write your own poo poo" camp which I really support. Sadly the community around fanfiction encourages people to use retreads rather than really let loose with their own worlds and such.

All that being said I'd read the poo poo out of a Harry Potter short story collection with guys like Gaiman, Mieville, and Pratchett contributing.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Paragon8 posted:

I think most author's tend to fall in the "well if you're going to write, write your own poo poo" camp which I really support. Sadly the community around fanfiction encourages people to use retreads rather than really let loose with their own worlds and such.

This is exactly what I don't get. If you have so many great ideas why the hell aren't you using your own ideas?

If you want to write a story set at Hogwarts or with Jedi or whatever, I can see that. But you want to write a story about what happens to Luke or Harry or whatever? C'mon, why?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Personally I'm disappointed by the lack of good original character fic.
Something like the author uses Hogwarts as a backdrop, where the protagonist comes in, say, during Harry's fifth year with the Triwizard stuff goes on in the background (or whenever), and the protagonist isn't completely perfect at everything and doesn't even interact with Harry & Co, really.

Except nothing like that ever gets written, because bad writers write Mary Sues and good (ok, passable) writers have learned to hate OCs because they're always Mary Sues.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

zachol posted:

Personally I'm disappointed by the lack of good original character fic.
Something like the author uses Hogwarts as a backdrop, where the protagonist comes in, say, during Harry's fifth year with the Triwizard stuff goes on in the background (or whenever), and the protagonist isn't completely perfect at everything and doesn't even interact with Harry & Co, really.

Except nothing like that ever gets written, because bad writers write Mary Sues and good (ok, passable) writers have learned to hate OCs because they're always Mary Sues.

Yeah, if you look at Star Wars novels - the better ones (relatively speaking) are the ones that use original characters. Unfortunately what sells in this day and age is familiarity.

I think there's a goon webcomic called "The gunnerkrieg chronicles" that is a great example of taking something similar to the core concept of Harry Potter and actually turning it into something imaginative and original.

The people who wouldn't be able to do that probably wouldn't be able to produce interesting stories anyway.

I do think there's room to have your own imaginative stories in the Harry Potter universe but keep them to your imagination - it's like when you're a kid playing with action figures. It's fine to think of insane reasons why robocop is teaming up with gi joes to fight a terminator but to anyone else it is really dumb.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Paragon8 posted:

I do think there's room to have your own imaginative stories in the Harry Potter universe but keep them to your imagination - it's like when you're a kid playing with action figures. It's fine to think of insane reasons why robocop is teaming up with gi joes to fight a terminator but to anyone else it is really dumb.

Who are you to tell someone what they can and can't post anonymously on the internet? Hell yeah 99% of fanfic is terrible terrible garbage, but kids love to write it and kids love to read it so who are you to stop it?

I honestly appreciate that fanfic exists though because it helps to feed that void I get when a TV show or movie or book series is over. When one of those is over I'm usually craving more stories from those settings, and though it may take a lot of filtering eventually I'll find a passable story to help satisfy that craving. Every once in a blue moon I might even find a good story.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
One of the few alright fics I've found is Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness, which tries to answer "what was going on at Hogwarts during Deathly Hallows?"
It's way overly GRIMDARK but it's still interesting. Although the OCs that get introduced are irritating.

I guess what I'm saying is it would be nice if there was more stuff like that, where it's not rehashing or altering the books but just filling in holes.
Also if they were actually executed well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Post-Hogwarts fics tend to have the best chance of not being poo poo and bypass creepy underage sex found in way too many fics. When I was 13 or 14 I could dig it, but now that I'm in my 20's, that poo poo is just not on.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Who are you to tell someone what they can and can't post anonymously on the internet? Hell yeah 99% of fanfic is terrible terrible garbage, but kids love to write it and kids love to read it so who are you to stop it?

I honestly appreciate that fanfic exists though because it helps to feed that void I get when a TV show or movie or book series is over. When one of those is over I'm usually craving more stories from those settings, and though it may take a lot of filtering eventually I'll find a passable story to help satisfy that craving. Every once in a blue moon I might even find a good story.

I'm not stopping anyone from posting or reading it, I'm just saying it's dumb. There are plenty of people that do find enjoyment in dumb things though and that's fine. The 1% of fan fiction that is legitimately good is probably a waste of talent that could be better served generating original content.

I do comfort food reading, I've reread books quite a bit. I certainly get emotionally invested in books and series but I don't like perpetuating them with mediocre shades that fan fiction tends to be. I'd much rather move on to a new and exciting book or series.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

The 1% of fan fiction that is legitimately good is probably a waste of talent that could be better served generating original content.
A couple of times I've looked into the author of something I especially liked and found they often do other, non-fanfic stuff.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

reflir posted:

Looking back, the most entertaining part of HP fanfiction was all the drama surrounding various authors and communities.

Paragon8 posted:

It's especially awkward when people feel they have stronger ownership than the creator of the characters.

Bbbbbut Harry and Hermione are meant to be together! How dare that horrible woman keep them apart!

Eunabomber fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 9, 2011

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Original fiction isn't inherently better, we just never have to see the thousand godawful rejected manuscripts, only the professionally-edited winners. Unfortunately there's no such gatekeeper on the internet. You have to sift through a lot of crap to find that 1%, but it does exist, and the massive size of the Harry Potter fandom means their 1% is larger than most. I don't view it as a waste of talent so much as a love-letter to canon. For example, I like drawing and normally draw my own ideas, but sometimes it's fun to exchange dumb fanart with my friends because we really like this book/show/whatever. I assume fan writers are doing it for fun too, and I spent many a summer in my early teens being entertained by the results. Some media leaves me wanting more, even if it's somebody else's interpretation; now that I'm an adult I still wouldn't be adverse to reading fanfic if it was from a reliable recommendation source.

To be honest, I've never heard of a fic writer over the age of 18 who doesn't also have a bunch of original projects happening on the side. Kids figure they either like writing or they don't, and the ones who stick with it tend to write fanfic as a hobby, practice, or both. Including some professional editors and published authors. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Crisco Kid posted:

Original fiction isn't inherently better, we just never have to see the thousand godawful rejected manuscripts, only the professionally-edited winners. Unfortunately there's no such gatekeeper on the internet. You have to sift through a lot of crap to find that 1%, but it does exist, and the massive size of the Harry Potter fandom means their 1% is larger than most. I don't view it as a waste of talent so much as a love-letter to canon. For example, I like drawing and normally draw my own ideas, but sometimes it's fun to exchange dumb fanart with my friends because we really like this book/show/whatever. I assume fan writers are doing it for fun too, and I spent many a summer in my early teens being entertained by the results. Some media leaves me wanting more, even if it's somebody else's interpretation; now that I'm an adult I still wouldn't be adverse to reading fanfic if it was from a reliable recommendation source.

To be honest, I've never heard of a fic writer over the age of 18 who doesn't also have a bunch of original projects happening on the side. Kids figure they either like writing or they don't, and the ones who stick with it tend to write fanfic as a hobby, practice, or both. Including some professional editors and published authors. :ssh:

See I think original fiction is inherently better because so much of fiction is about creating characters and settings so just using someone else's creations just skips out on a lot of the process. It is sad that hypothetically all things equal except setting and character a Harry Potter fanfic would get more attention than an original story. I mean sure a good Harry Potter fanfic probably beats a bad piece original fiction, but I don't think a good Harry Potter fanfic would ever beat a good piece of original fiction.

I mean yeah, it's fine as a hobby and if you enjoy that community - there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't think it's an especially productive one if you actually care about writing as a "craft". It'd be great if people that wrote fanfic went on to write their own projects and maybe fanfic is a good way to get readers for original stuff but I'm worried that it just ends up like a deviantart circlejerk because the consumers of fanfic care more about Ron and Harry banging than quality.

It is a weird thing how fanfic has become so incredibly accessible for people whereas actual original fiction pales in comparison.

• Locked thread