Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
At least we're doing better than I expected :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
...welp, at least I got the ID in before being unceremoniously beheaded. :smith:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Of all the times to get a TAC :(

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clearly, you can't. :colbert:

but yes, a 'Mech can reverse up or down an elevation change, it just requires a piloting test--normally pretty easy, I just rolled a 2. And then rolled another 2.

Heh. And then a 12.

Must've been errata'd. My TW says no, but this is much funnier.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

PPCs are brutal things.

Also: That Wolfhound is not going to become a bondsman, I think.

I think that's the definition of "ignominious."

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Merry Marauder posted:

Heh. And then a 12.

The rule is in TO.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 5, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Now thats what the clans are known for, ERPPC headshots!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I don't see the motive system damage roll anywhere, I am assuming nothing came of that?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

The Merry Marauder posted:

Heh. And then a 12.

I think it's a rule from TacOps, but I'm not sure. It does exist either way, though.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I will submit the orders when I am home and can reread the line of sight rules to be sure I can do what I want to do, but:

I am going to challenge B5 to single combat.

Colonel, you get out of here. I'll hold them off. :steiner:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Fraction Jackson posted:

I think it's a rule from TacOps, but I'm not sure. It does exist either way, though.

Yeah, found it. My groups don't use most (any?) of the advanced optional movement stuff, so I didn't remember it existed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

I don't see the motive system damage roll anywhere, I am assuming nothing came of that?

Whoops, I forgot all about it.

Moderate damage, -1 cruising MP, +2 penalty to all driving rolls

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
The scenario just turned even further against the players I think. The Wolfhound is disabled and the Banshee is gone. In addition, the pilots of the two remaining combat worthy mechs are injured. I did love the banter between Star Colonel Dusk, Star Commander Winter Breen, and Mechwarrior Knox. Prediction: All of the players' mechs are destroyed or disabled by turn 12.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Well that was brutal, I think there's an increasingly slim hope of partial victory left but an actual win is probably impossible now.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

landcollector posted:

The scenario just turned even further against the players I think. The Wolfhound is disabled and the Banshee is gone.

Happily, the Wolfhound is an elite pilot, and only needs an 8 to stand on one leg!

Unhappily, the life expectancy of a 35-ton IS Mech that doesn't move against a clean Crossbow is...less than ideal. At least it's not a JagerMech!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

I guess I can see why LAMs are reviled. Making the person running the game look up a whole set of rules that wouldn't exist otherwise is bad, them being poorly balanced just adds to it (though after the introduction of Clantech before BV, I'm surprised they got singled out for ire.). The anti-anime sentiment is a little ironic, but considering that at the time of Battletech's launch, Harmony Gold was pulling a Saban with the mech's sources to create Robotech for Western audiences, a lack of knowledge or even like of the inspiration makes quite a lot of sense. I guess I wouldn't have any dislike of LAMs if they had well implemented rules and BV, but as I've never run into them aside from as a concept, I don't really have much of an opinion.

What I think was most tragic was that LAMs were given rules before the BV system came out, because under the BV system they were actually fairly well balanced. The Phoenix Hawk LAM hits a hefty 1422 BV, and both the Stinger and Wasp hit something like 800-900, which are very, very good. You can get an assault for a Phoenix Hawk LAM (both in price and in BV) so there's that.

quote:

As for the raging battle, I eagerly anticipate how PTN's tweaked Hellbringer performs. I always loved that chassis, as with MW2's implementation of the customization system and clan arsenal, you could easily strip out the (non-implemented) electronic warfare gear, and turn it into a rather speedy, durable death dealer. So, good luck out there - this thing could be packing anything.

I'm hoping for the Hellbringer to not have any additional armor myself, it's not as if it'd put it at a disadvantage in the fight. The canon Hellbringer was pretty brutal in 3050, you just had to remember to use a long-range config like the Prime and play keep-away while using your longer-ranged, harder-hitting weapons to engage at medium range at max speed while the other guy was engaging at long. Against your average IS Heavy, that means you're shooting at 3 (base) +2 (running) +2 (medium range) +1 (defender movement) -1 (tagcomp) for a net of 7, while the other guy's shooting at 4 (base) +1 (walking) +4 (long) +3 (defender movement) for a net of 12. It's a dancer, not a slugger.

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah LAMs really don't fit the feel of Battletech at all. It's a setting that's all about ponderous, prone to break, can't dodge for poo poo and have tons of armor to compensate we-don't-know-how-to-build-basic-tech mechs. And then some can transform into loving aircraft? In the field without spending atleast 5 days with full crew of mechanics?

The original LAM concept is that they don't really transform. Battletech aerospace fighters generally run on fusion power, which is shorthand for "we can make anything fly no matter how ugly it is", and a LAM is basically a Battlemech with wings, extra joint articulation, better cooling for its jumpjets (so it can sustain thrust), and a fuel tank. With a large excess energy budget (which giant stompy robots with fusion engines have) they make enough sense for Battletech.

More importantly, Battlemechs aren't exactly "prone to break", there's a whole bunch of stories about old mechs having been around for centuries and being still good to fight. Battletech is about simple, lowish-tech, gently caress this whole precision-guided-everything, big fuckoff lasers, knights dueling in giant death robots instead of on warhorses, stuff. Similarly Aerotech is knights of the sky aerial jousting versus BVR stealth fighter dueling.

To clarify something else, LAMs are not actually the same thing as their originating Mechs, they just have a lot of parts commonality because they tend to use a bunch of bits of the original Mech. You can repair most of a Phoenix Hawk LAM with Phoenix Hawk parts, but it is a totally different beast. This is a Phoenix Hawk:

This is the LAM version:

Same with the Stinger, which looks like this:

And the LAM looks like this:

While the Wasp looks like this:

With a LAM that looks like this:

The LAMs are pretty ugly things that transform into vaguely fighter-shaped objects to get some degree of (slow, ineffective) flight that have some parts commonality. They're basically the final extension of the ability of powerful fusion thrust to make even tanks fly-in their "Fighter mode", they are basically just flying tanks, the transformations aren't supposed to be that complex, no Bayformers stuff, just "legs go up, arms tuck in, wings fold out, cockpit tucks into the chest, there you go."

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 5, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Arquinsiel posted:

You've never seen a VF-1S with FAST pack then it appears. They are genuinely 98% just the exact same thing. The Pixie has a slightly different shaped head and the plates look different in the TRO: 3025 image, but the actual miniatures... well, they ain't so different.

They look the same, yes. But a Phoenix Hawk is not a veritech. One is a battlemech and the other is a highly maneuverable anime mecha thingy.

Mukaikubo posted:

Warlocke: Get the colonel's rear end into the woods. I'll challenge B5 and hold him off for, let's be optimistic, 3 rounds with my tank buddy. Start some more fires if you can, every last bit will help. It'll be your Alamo.

Steiner's Last Stand. :patriot:

Holy poo poo we're hosed now. :911:

Also when the gently caress did the Stinger get dual LRM15s?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I have a sneaking suspicion that Nova is hopping over to hurt the poor little tank.

I think I'm going to return the favor.

Nevermind, he got ace, again. Now I'm conflicted. Glorious last stand or run back to the assaults?

raverrn fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Also when the gently caress did the Stinger get dual LRM15s?

They're Rocket Launcher 15s, which means it fires one salvo and then stands around doing dick-all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm getting a very strong notion about future developments here. Even if we fall here, Caesar's Legion will avenge us.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

L4 Wolfhound falls!
L4 Wolfhound takes damage to Left Leg (13/16 armor remains), through-armor critical chance!
L4 Wolfhound must make a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 0 hexes moved + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 6): rolled 7, succeeds!

L4 Wolfhound critical chance in left leg, limb blown off!
L4 Wolfhound disabled!

That is possibly the unluckiest - and most humiliating - end for a mech I've ever seen.

And some of you are bitching about PC luck.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
2/3 pilot breaks his leg off on a level change roll and an erppc headshot in the same round; hopefull that will silence whining about the PC's rolls because goddamn

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

“Chapters 27-30”

Takuda is starting to worry about connecting with the three societies, given their 500 years of divergence. The muppets prove their invaluable subservience once again when they dig some fortifications with surprising speed. Takuda also has some time to watch the distant battle and check out their hardware. It seems that the local forces mostly have late medieval technology, with primitive firearms covering for the more useful melee troops. The biggest departure is their use of extremely primitive tanks, like if someone had gotten the idea before World War I. Plus the tanks keep the melee troops from engaging fully. At one point, the Panther (Vost) shows up and fires its PPC at a tank from both sides in a display of power. It then wanders off, since the people with the purse strings are still back in the towns.

After two days, the patrols sent to Osio (castle) and Amatukaze (temple) return. The Osio report indicates that the militant society is running crazy over the unfortunate populace, but all the swords everywhere make a coup attempt a bit harder than in Usugumo (rubbish). Meanwhile, the religious nuts in Amatukaze had indoctrinated most of the populace, making it the hardest target to overthrow. Finally, one of the two Spec Ops sent to Usugumo returned, describing the other one’s capture, presumably at the mercenaries’ request. Being a “no man left behind” outfit, Takuda immediately orders a rescue operation. As for the inevitable reprisal from the mercs, Takuda has fewer ideas, but Dakodo remembers about how everyone was fumbling through ravines earlier, so he proposes making a few ‘mech-sized pit traps.

Meanwhile, Sanae, the captive soldier, is being kept alive out of a distant hope of getting information from her through torture. But, you know, Spec Ops. They do get enough info to pin down Takuda’s general location, and they waste no time in moving their remaining ‘mechs to find and destroy the camp. Well, all except the LAM, which is being kept in reserve thanks to needing jet fuel for its flight actions.

Completely underestimating their enemies, the ‘mechs run straight for the bunker system, which has again been evacuated except for a few false I/R generators. And guess what? VOST ANGRY. VOST SMASH PUNY HUMAN! And then he gets the Panther’s foot stuck in an eight-foot pit. For some reason, Pesht (doormat) in the Javelin wanders right on by this scene and gets himself entangled in vines like one of those dumbasses in the AT-ST’s at the end of Jedi. Speaking of which, the next trap is a giant log that comes swinging in on the Panther, battering it in the chest. Vost has had enough of this poo poo, and calls a retreat.

During the mercs’ humiliation, the rescue team uses the excitement of the ‘mechs’ departure from Usugumo (rubbish) to sneak into the town. They kill a few guards, commandeer a tank, and make a successful getaway. It’s actually a little awesome.

VOST ANGRY. VOST SMASH MAHOGANY (mahogany? Really?) TABLE! The first mate from earlier is starting to doubt her choice in factions, particularly since her only job was to guard the prisoner. Meanwhile Seagroves (fancy poo poo) is all :smug: since he didn’t fall into an Ewok trap. Plus he has apparently been spearheading the employment talks, so there’s something of a leadership crisis now. The Usugumo leadership, for their part, is wondering whether they overestimated the mercenaries or underestimated the Spec Ops team. The natives are also pretty enamored with the LAM, since they apparently have legends that recommend they Never Fly Ever, and, since this is the second time that’s come up, this will surely never be a giant plot twist later.

Anyway, they finally decide to send out a strike force of mechanized infantry, which the ‘mechs will catch up to once they reach the target area. However, unaware that internal combustion engines are more efficient when running hot, the ‘mech pilots give them too much time and the poorly trained native units wander off in small groups. Vost and the rest show up just in time to watch the Usugumo (rubbish) troops get wiped out by the combined Spec Ops-muppet forces.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

2/3 pilot breaks his leg off on a level change roll and an erppc headshot in the same round; hopefull that will silence whining about the PC's rolls because goddamn

I feel completely vindicated.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hob_Gadling posted:

I feel completely vindicated.

personally I'm just grateful to this valiant on behalf of every mech pilot later in the list for getting that terrible turn out of the way

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
That was pretty brutal. PTN's dice might just be made of pure spite and hilarity.

Also the Wolfhound should challenge that Clanner to fight on one leg. :v:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tempest_56 posted:

That is possibly the unluckiest - and most humiliating - end for a mech I've ever seen.

And some of you are bitching about PC luck.

The chance of it happening is the same as the it was for the cataphract last game.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Trast posted:

That was pretty brutal. PTN's dice might just be made of pure spite and hilarity.

Also the Wolfhound should challenge that Clanner to fight on one leg. :v:

"'Tis but a flesh wound!"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, they're beat. Never mind 20, you won't last 10.

You'll have to settle for aiming for partial victory. If you can take out the last two beta star mechs (no small feat) you'll at least have brought some respect and glory to the regiment's name.

So this probably means Caeser Steiner's going to get captured, huh? Who wants to bet he'll be this continuity's Phelan Kell?

*edit* \/\/\/ Awwww right, forgot. That's much too bad. Still probably going to hurt the Steiner cause to be without him.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

So this probably means Caeser Steiner's going to get captured, huh? Who wants to bet he'll be this continuity's Phelan Kell?

He's over 30.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Dolash posted:

I know nothing about either of these people, but at least Caesar Steiner is a more badass name than "Phelan".

PoptartsNinja posted:

He's over 30.

What, does Battletech have that same strictly enforced "No protagonists over age 18" that anime has?

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Veyrall posted:

I know nothing about either of these people, but at least Caesar Steiner is a more badass name than "Phelan".

Phelan's entire existence was based upon his eventual capture by Clan Wolf.

1) He was trueborn (probably) created by Jamie Wolf, so that his friend Morgan Kell (the two had met like, one time) could have a baby with his barren wife.
2) His first name means 'Wolf'
3) When he was adopted, his name became 'Wolf Wolf' (Seriously)
4) When he earned his bloodname, his name was 'Wolf Ward' (Seriously)

Conclusion: Jamie Wolf is actually Dominic Deegan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Welp, they're beat. Never mind 20, you won't last 10.

You'll have to settle for aiming for partial victory. If you can take out the last two beta star mechs (no small feat) you'll at least have brought some respect and glory to the regiment's name.

*edit* \/\/\/ Awwww right, forgot. That's much too bad. Still probably going to hurt the Steiner cause to be without him.

Caesar was the only one not bid so he gets Hegira: the right of the defeated to withdraw with honor intact. First Lyran unit to be defeated by the Clans, prestigious history, royal family member only survivor who escapes? They're this continuity's 10th Lyran Guard.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Veyrall posted:

What, does Battletech have that same strictly enforced "No protagonists over age 18" that anime has?

Nope. Most good Inner Sphere 'Mechwarriors are in their 50s. The Clans just Think Differently (tm). They don't field any warrior younger than 20, and 30 is considered old. If a 'Mechwarrior reaches the ripe old age of 35, the Clans assign him to training the newest generation of warriors (read: potentially that warrior's grandchildren) or to a Solomha second-line "defense" (suicide) unit.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Defiance Industries posted:

Caesar was the only one not bid so he gets Hegira: the right of the defeated to withdraw with honor intact. First Lyran unit to be defeated by the Clans, prestigious history, royal family member only survivor who escapes? They're this continuity's 10th Lyran Guard.

Aren't the 10th Lyran Guard this continuity's 10th Lyran Guard?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope. Most good Inner Sphere 'Mechwarriors are in their 50s. The Clans just Think Differently (tm). They don't field any warrior younger than 20, and 30 is considered old. If a 'Mechwarrior reaches the ripe old age of 35, the Clans assign him to training the newest generation of warriors (read: potentially that warrior's grandchildren) or to a Solomha second-line "defense" (suicide) unit.

There are exceptions, like Joanna and the Black Widow.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

elitebuster posted:

There are exceptions, like Joanna and the Black Widow.

Joanna wasn't an exception, she was pulled for training duty at 30 and only reactivated for front-line duty for the invasion. After that, she pretty much punched and/or murdered her way into never getting retired.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

raverrn posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Nova is hopping over to hurt the poor little tank.

I think I'm going to return the favor.

Nevermind, he got ace, again. Now I'm conflicted. Glorious last stand or run back to the assaults?

Neg. Request you take a potshot at B5. It hasn't moved, so you should have a righteous to hit on it, and we NEED that thing softened up. Badly.

Also, Joanna (one of my favorite characters to be honest) did eventually get assigned to a training unit. The book (Falcon Rising) ends on a hopeful "Maybe she doesn't really hate this as much as she always claimed she would" note. :unsmith: Joanna basically is a really fun character because she is so goddamned angry all the time, and also because... she's pretty much the definition of a clanner midlife crisis. Seeing her have to deal with Aidan Pryde's legacy was one of the most interesting parts of the canon, to me. Lots of conflicted feelings there.

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

L4 Wolfhound backs down a hill, must make a piloting test to avoid a fall (3 base + 0 hexes moved = 3): rolled 2, falls!

L4 Wolfhound falls!
L4 Wolfhound takes damage to Left Leg (13/16 armor remains), through-armor critical chance!
L4 Wolfhound must make a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 0 hexes moved + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 6): rolled 7, succeeds!

L4 Wolfhound critical chance in left leg, limb blown off!
L4 Wolfhound disabled!

Welp. I guess that cements my status as LVP? I haven't even fired so much as a medium laser!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Spencerb posted:

Welp. I guess that cements my status as LVP? I haven't even fired so much as a medium laser!

You're not out yet! ... Well, you're probably out, but you might pull something off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Holy poo poo that was nuts.

Rossi is turning out to be a total badass. So long as he doesn't die here, I hope PTN gives him something interesting to do. Even if he gets captured he ought to get his due.

• Locked thread