Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

elitebuster posted:

Aren't the 10th Lyran Guard this continuity's 10th Lyran Guard?

Only literally speaking. The 10th in this continuity is much, much different from the one we know, since there was no 4th Succession War for them to be destroyed in. I presume they're still the Heir-presumptive's unit... So is Ivan Steiner in charge of them now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah, I'm going to get a forums upgrade :) but we aren't even getting a minor victory here :(

Unless we can somehow take on two clan heavies with a rommel, a beat up cyclops and a zeus.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The one thing we have going for us is the Hellbringer Lucerne has the same armor problem that its grandfather the Warhammer has. In that it doesn't have that much at all. I think a partial victory is still possible here but it'll be close.

Also I'm banking on a :black101: rage from Colonel Rossi upon confirming Kempfer died for what amounts to a game to the Clanners.

I'm still wondering if the survivors are going to have to re-enact the Clan prison break path from Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries at the end of all this or if they'll be taken bondsmen or maybe (slim chance) they're granted Hegira.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 5, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I think the minor victory was surviving as long as we have. Not enough loving with the clanners' egos, though, and that's really the key to victory in this one.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Affi posted:

Unless we can somehow take on two clan heavies with a rommel, a beat up cyclops and a zeus.

There's still two AC20s on the field. It's possible. Just very unlikely.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

There's still two AC20s on the field. It's possible. Just very unlikely.

Yeah, I'd say the current situation can be summed up with FUBAR, CF and other acronyms, but a lucky shot could still at least allow a partial victory.
Still, that's some rotten luck with the Wolfhound.

One thing I've just noticed :downs: : Star Commander Winter Breen? :D

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Angry_Ed posted:

The one thing we have going for us is the Hellbringer Lucerne has the same armor problem that its grandfather the Warhammer has. In that it doesn't have that much at all. I think a partial victory is still possible here but it'll be close.

Based on the update, we know the Hellbringer has 20 armor in its arms and 30 in its legs. It certainly does not appear to be the fragile Hellbringer of canon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Spencerb posted:

Welp. I guess that cements my status as LVP? I haven't even fired so much as a medium laser!

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're not out yet! ... Well, you're probably out, but you might pull something off.

Actually, if I may:

Trast posted:

Also the Wolfhound should challenge that Clanner to fight on one leg. :v:

Seriously, do this. Challenge the Clanner to fight on one leg, and then to ensure that he doesn't "accidentally" break zell like the Copperhead did, the Clanner should let one of the members of Gamma star blow his leg off.

Mechs can crawl, right?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Mukaikubo posted:

Neg. Request you take a potshot at B5. It hasn't moved, so you should have a righteous to hit on it, and we NEED that thing softened up. Badly.

Welp. Nice knowing you guys.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

Based on the update, we know the Hellbringer has 20 armor in its arms and 30 in its legs. It certainly does not appear to be the fragile Hellbringer of canon.

...whoops, my bad :downs:

I blame being vaporized.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Angry_Ed posted:

Also I'm banking on a :black101: rage from Colonel Rossi upon confirming Kempfer died for what amounts to a game to the Clanners.

I'm still wondering if the survivors are going to have to re-enact the Clan prison break path from Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries at the end of all this or if they'll be taken bondsmen or maybe (slim chance) they're granted Hegira.

To give you an example of what this Hellbringer might be like, here's (purportedly) the original Hellbringer as published before the official clan tech specs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Cool as they are, I've been forced to conclude that the Mk I omnis are bullshit. Why? Because they use machine guns far more intelligently than any other fielded design (other than the Piranha).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Oh dear, this was quite a lovely turn for the 2nd Donegal. The Banshee gets decapitated due to a random stroke of Clanner luck. The superior Wolfhound pilot loses a leg while backing down a hill...

Still, you shoved the Bloodnamed Star Commander off the map and made him forfeit his bid... I guess that counts for something, right? All you guys have left to deal with for a Partial Victory are two Heavy Mechs with two damaged Assaults, a Light missing a leg, and a damaged Tank. You might be able to pull it off... Maybe...

Really poor luck for the Master Sergeant, though. Feel bad for the guy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Really poor luck for the Master Sergeant, though. Feel bad for the guy.

It's going to be happening more frequently whenever the Clans turn up. They're not all as naive as the Steel Vipers.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Looking like it's time for me to break out :10bux: Not my best bet, I'll admit.

Unless that Wolfhound manages to find some sort of hilarious delaying action it can take, like, say, laying face down for awhile and then taking one potshot at round 19. Or challenging all the clanners that want to kill it to do so one-legged.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's going to be happening more frequently whenever the Clans turn up. They're not all as naive as the Steel Vipers.

Yeah, makes sense to me. Decap the command elements and a breakdown of the chain of command will follow, resulting in general confusion and easier prey for the Clans.

So, what's the current running tally for this one to end? The 2nd Donegal Command Lance all down by turn 8?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
drat. Forget about lasting 20 rounds. We'll be lucky if this fight lasts 10. A through-armor crit from falling that snaps a leg off and a PPC shot to the head in the same round?

The clanners already had the advantage of numbers, size and technology. That kind of luck to boot is just crazy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, makes sense to me. Decap the command elements and a breakdown of the chain of command will follow, resulting in general confusion and easier prey for the Clans.

So, what's the current running tally for this one to end? The 2nd Donegal Command Lance all down by turn 8?

Nah, it depends on what the remaining players do, but I don't see the healthy Zeus dying for a few more turns. The rest of the mechs/tanks are completely screwed, however, unless they manage to take out Beta Star, which would force Gamma to plod over.

I say turn 14.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Go for the one legged challenge. Or try to get the other guys to maneuver the battle over to you, and shoot the bad guy in the back at an opportune moment.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

... but you might pull something off.

Like what? The other leg? :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

“Chapters 31-34”

Seagroves (fancy poo poo) starts the chapter by enjoying some fancy poo poo. The first mate shows up and starts bitching at Seagroves for being a self-important anime-flying douchebag of the highest caliber. Seagroves is too self-important to care about her, though. Seems Seagroves has been amassing a horde of gold items, much to his hosts’ puzzlement, since the valuable metal on this planet is iron. And considering that rocky planets are composed almost entirely out of iron, that must be some accomplishment. But then that’s just me being angry at the oak trees when the whole forest is upside down, so let’s move on.

The next chapter begins with Pesht (doormat). Pesht is meeting with the town’s mayoral figure. It seems they’re conspiring behind Vost’s back, as well as spending a couple minutes being mutually sexist. Evidently Pesht isn’t quite the doormat he’s presented himself as, and he’s offering the mercs services to do a little oligarchal housecleaning to restore their image in Usugumo (rubbish). Congratulations, Pesht, I hereby raise your status from (doormat) to (schemer). Now I just hope that this is an honest twist and not Peter Rice forgetting whom he gave the (schemer) background to. Pesht says he can bring the others into line behind him, but he wants the mayor position as payment.

In chapter 33 we stick with Pesht (schemer), this time dealing with the high priest of Amatukaze (temple). Pesht is demanding a similar position of leadership from the high priest, which is frankly confusing the man, who considers the prophets and philosophers who built their religion to be the highest authority. Pesht, being the man with the ‘mechs, tells him to make it happen anyway. Seagroves (fancy poo poo) was listening on this one, and they discuss the third offer from Osio (castle). Pesht was told by their representative that they could assassinate their king to make room for Pesht, but he decides that would set a bad precedent for him later on. Seagroves still wants to stick with the merchants, and Pesht says he’ll think about it.

Now we’re back with Takuda, who is watching the muppets try to brew coffee for him. Ever-righteous Takuda would rather do it himself, of course, but they got started before he woke up. In fact, the muppets are basically doing everything for the Spec Ops team now, which is getting Takuda worried. One of the soldiers in particular was having fun watching the muppets alter the landscape at his whim, but Horg, the original muppet sympathizer, made sure he cut that out. The ‘mech pilots are getting extra attention, and Goodall (chick) finds herself with an adopted charge at one point. Even worse, now other tribes of muppets are showing up to worship the Locust gods. Takuda goes with Dakodo to the tribe council to discuss the situation, but falls asleep after a few hours of interminable yammering, which is muppet tradition. Still, when he wakes up, Dakodo assures him that the “adoption” situation won’t happen again.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 5, 2011

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

That ought to be enough to get me a mention in the Vipers' Remembrance.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

:golfclap:

Seriously though, unless some very lucky AC/20 shots occur in the next couple of rounds, this battle's pretty much lost.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope. Most good Inner Sphere 'Mechwarriors are in their 50s. The Clans just Think Differently (tm). They don't field any warrior younger than 20, and 30 is considered old. If a 'Mechwarrior reaches the ripe old age of 35, the Clans assign him to training the newest generation of warriors (read: potentially that warrior's grandchildren) or to a Solomha second-line "defense" (suicide) unit.
Side Note: This is Yet Another Reason why the Clans gently caress up so terribly. Time is incredibly not on their side. The longer time goes on, the quicker the IS have to catch up technologically (for a few reasons), but this is the big problem; 10 years down the line, all the top notch, experienced, and experienced at specifically fighting the IS, Clan pilots are either booted to training or crapshoot infantry units - basically, anywhere except in the cockpit of 'mechs equal to their skills. Whereas in 10 years IS veterans are even better IS veterans.

For the IS, as time goes on they just get better. But for the Clans, essentially, the level of pilot efficiency they have on day one of the invasion would be largely the same as they have years on, with reasonable, flexible pilots being replaced by freshly trained honour-muppets.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Quick, everyone ask the Clans for a minute of silence to show respect for the fallen!

Six free turns on the clock isn't to be sneezed at.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

We've had our own run of luck this game, don't forget the Thunderchild pilot knocking himself silly.

Or the 'mech I killed.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Haha, ERPPC headcap and a 12 on the leg-TAC.

Welcome to Battletech motherfuckers, it's awesome for the same reason you sometimes hate it.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So when does the seize the initiative special kick in, next turn? That might be the end of it right there for 2/3 (3/4 if the Wolfhound is really drat lucky) of the remaining force. Good luck guys, you'll need it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Krumbsthumbs posted:

So when does the seize the initiative special kick in, next turn? That might be the end of it right there for 2/3 (3/4 if the Wolfhound is really drat lucky) of the remaining force. Good luck guys, you'll need it.

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about this. On the plus side the remaining players are in a good spot to not get completely butchered by init this turn...

...Except for the tank.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Krumbsthumbs posted:

It's only once per battle so PTN would have to announce it first.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're Rocket Launcher 15s, which means it fires one salvo and then stands around doing dick-all.
To be fair, it is still as effective as a normal stinger after that. It does have a laser.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Krumbsthumbs posted:

So when does the seize the initiative special kick in, next turn?

When the Clans call for it, which they haven't because they're feeling like smug assholes and want to drag this out. There's a reason quite a few clans are represented by cats.

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, [...] effective [...] stinger

What you just wrote makes absolutely no sense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Welp, time to pack it in Steinailures.

I was actually really rooting for the goon team this time. It looked for a brief instant like they might pull it off somehow through a combination of luck and clan-trolling, but then this happened. It would be sad if it wasn't so goddamn funny.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well of course it makes no sense if you remove the comparatives. Silly cardassian.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hope you guys enjoy your new lives as bondsmen.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

If PTN allowed the Stackpole effect, I would disengage the safeties on my fusion engine and go out with a bang. Better dead than a Clanner slave. Since that isn't an option, try to impress the Clanners as much as you can before you are beaten.

V V V If you're lucky enough for the Rommel to just be disabled and not outright destroyed, I would have your crew try to radio one of the dropships, abandon the tank, and run like hell towards the one that could take you (if it could). Note that it is academic since the lance won't last till turn 20. No one is leaving when that happens...

landcollector fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 6, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

I don't qualify. :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

I don't qualify. :(

Everyone qualifies. You did help eliminate two 'Mechs with your vastly inferior hardware.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

“Chapters 35-38”

Takuda wakes up to find a visitor from Amatukaze (temple) waiting for him. The visitor goes into a long, winding exposition that doesn’t cover any new ground. His point is that, since the Spec Ops team won their battles against the mercs, they’re obviously better armed than the mercs, so Amatukaze wants to recruit them. Ever-righteous Takuda presents his counterargument of bushido, also pointing out that there is still far too much land to settle to bother squabbling over the tiny bit that’s already developed. The temple rep laughs at Takuda’s “foolishness” and leaves.

An Osio (castle) rep shows up next to give the same pitch. Takuda gives the same counterargument, and the meeting ends the same way. Woo.

Some time later, five men from all three cities, including the two reps from above, meet behind closed doors and explicitly recap their earlier talks.

quote:

“We are of one mind,” […] “And since we are of the same mind, and since we have discussed this before, we need only review what we have planned and what we have discovered within the past five days.”
By the sound of things, there’s sort of an uneasy harmony between the three towns where they play at war and trade minor territories, sort of like late 19th century Europe. The thing is, these five are scheming against the leaders of all three of their towns, as well as against both the new forces.

It’s just too bad they forgot about all the muppet servants listening in.

Back with the mercenaries, Seagroves (fancy poo poo) continues to have absolutely no clue about market values, instead piling worthless gold on worthless gold. Vost and Pesht (schemer) show up and start comparing notes about all the offers the five reps are making them to turn against each other. They eventually decide to “advertise” some more to see if there are any better offers out there. They do this by walking all three ‘mechs to Osio (castle), the hardest target, and proceeding to decimate the unmanned rear defenses.

Takuda hears the report of the attack and wonders about the odd choice in targets. He goes to check the camp’s I/R scanner, and realizes that the mercs are probably just demonstrating again. Since his troops have been approached individually by the Gang of Five, he figures that’s got something to do with it, too. Since he also figures the mercs’ plan might work, he sends the two Locusts (and the tank) to deflate them, somehow.

In the meantime, the mercs have finished “demonstrating” on Osio (castle), and moved on to Amatukaze (temple). They spot the Locusts at long range and the encounter turns into a turkey shoot as the light ‘mechs (and the tank) retreat. Well, that was utterly predictable.

Just one more day of this crap to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SynthOrange posted:

There's always Bondsref, or even better, the MW2:Mercs response

• Locked thread