Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I am about to pick up KOTOR for the first time and would love some first timer tips for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Taris is the obligatory slow big tutorial every bioware game has, so don't get discouraged early on. Pick light or dark, don't go in-between or you'll be weak. There was actually some great advice about the game not too long ago in the thread, check back a few pages.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
I'm thinking about playing the original STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.
Any essential mods or patches to make it more balanced/less buggy/more fun?

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Anything for Mount and Blade: Warband? Can't seem to find anything in the wiki or the last 5-6 pages.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Machado de Assis posted:

Anything for Mount and Blade: Warband? Can't seem to find anything in the wiki or the last 5-6 pages.

If you're looking for something to do in the early game, the best options are the guild masters in every major town (use the 'take a walk around the streets' option or whatever to find them), who are guaranteed to have jobs that often pay well, or you can go to a tavern and ask about jobs, which will let you know about any particularly high-paying ones. You will also definitely want to improve your relations with villages by doing quests for them, since that makes them offer you vastly more units, and higher-level units; recruiting a mass of 20+ guys from one town that you're in good standing with is much less tedious than roaming around getting 4-5 from each village. Once you have some money and a decent army, you'll want to ask lords for tasks until you get offered a mercenary contract, which will let you fight in that kingdom's wars without standings repercussions (your standings will reset to neutral after the war ends, although if you loot/burn villages they'll hate you forever, so avoid doing that for the aforementioned recruitment reasons.) Once you've spent a while as a mercenary/vassal you can fight for a pretender or start your own kingdom.

The various kingdoms each have their own playstyle and I highly recommend you join the kingdom that suits what you want to do. In order loosely from strongest to weakest:

Khergits: Horse archers and lancers with no regular foot units, the easiest faction for a beginner
Swadians: All-arounders with a focus on lancers, also very powerful
Vaegirs: Archers primarily and cavalry secondarily, their infantry are not so great
Sarranid: General all-arounders with no real focus
Rhodoks: Spearmen primarily and crossbows secondarily with no cavalry at all. Presumably strong against horses but the AI aren't that great with spears.
Nords: Infantry only with axes and bows, often gets massacred by horse-heavy armies.

Horses in M&B are insanely strong and you can easily kill 30+ guys per battle mounted, but personally I think infantry gameplay is more tactical and fun, so try them both. The nords and rhodoks are definitely an extra challenge, so the vaegirs might be a good choice if you're looking for a balance, since you have strong on-foot options but can still go to town with the horses when need be. Don't worry too much about your character, though, since skill points don't make a big difference and any character can be an all-arounder. If you don't mind being obligated to keep party members around, you can skill them up in stuff like wound treatment and save your stats for charisma and combat. It's also fine to spec in that stuff yourself though since going around without wound treatment for even a little while can be brutal.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Just finished DA: Origins. Trying to decide on what to play through next, DA:O Awakening or Mass Effect 2.

I didn't see anything on the wiki for either of those. I've played through their predecessors.

For Awakening I'm also curious what happens with all the items in the chest at Soldier's Peak. Do I still have access, or should I load up all the stuff I want to keep on my character before importing? Also, does the Witch Hunt or Golems of Amgarrak DLC contain spoilers for Awakening. Wondering if I should play through those afterwords.

Edit: Xbox 360 versions, forgot to mention that.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 5, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So Streets of Rage Remake V5 was released today and it turns out I've never played any Streets of Rage game (and almost nothing in the way of co-op isometric brawlers in general).

Apparently SoRR plays pretty much identically to the original Streets of Rage 1-3, so hit me up with tips for the remake, the original games, or the genre as a whole!

Herr R. posted:

I'm thinking about playing the original STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.
Any essential mods or patches to make it more balanced/less buggy/more fun?

STALKER Complete does all three. It's basically the Last Big Patch that the game should have gotten but never did, coupled with a heavy graphical upgrades.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Really? I use it all the time. Not only because it's bad rear end, but it's a really easy way to take someone out. Especially if you've taken out all but two people: They split up, panicking, and you take out one with an inverted takedown then glide kick the other.

And this.

I guess I just never had much luck with it. You have to wait for a guy to get directly beneath you, then you have to hope nobody's watching when you hit him, because you're vulnerable during the animation (though I suppose this is the case for all takedowns in those sections)...I guess I was just never very good at predicting movements or baiting guys, I found it easier to just hop around and attack more directly.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

What's the best way to play Quake online multiplayer these days? ProQuake? ezQuake? JoeQuake? Darkplaces? Option overload.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just got Two Worlds 2 from gamefly - I haven't even popped it in yet, but with these kinds of games I never have a sense of what's useful and what's worthless in terms of equipment and skills and attributes and such. Is there anything basic I should know about, or is it hard to gently caress yourself in this game?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Adrian Owlsley posted:

If you're looking for something to do in the early game, the best options are the guild masters in every major town (use the 'take a walk around the streets' option or whatever to find them), who are guaranteed to have jobs that often pay well, or you can go to a tavern and ask about jobs, which will let you know about any particularly high-paying ones.
A particular question about this, one of these guild masters asked me to hunt down looters -- a specific group, apparently. Nobody I ask knows about them, they just say looters are everywhere. How am I expected to find them? More tracking skill or something?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Positronic Spleen posted:

A particular question about this, one of these guild masters asked me to hunt down looters -- a specific group, apparently. Nobody I ask knows about them, they just say looters are everywhere. How am I expected to find them? More tracking skill or something?

That quest is hard to complete because it really does just tag some group of bandits somewhere in the world as your target, and groups will only give you a hint if they really have spotted them. It's especially hard with looters since, unlike specialized bandits which stick to a certain general area, looters can be anywhere. It's a harsh quest and not very well designed. You do get a notification if they're killed though so until that happens they're somewhere out there, but you should probably just go about your business and if you happen to spot your target then great.

Same deal with the similar quest to kill groups of looters for 40d each, except that one is even worse because it's multiple groups which scatter and leave you with no real way to track them.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 5, 2011

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Any quick tips for Sword of the Stars? I don't get how I am getting colonies/navigating the 3d starmap.

This thing makes GalCiv seem so much simpler.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

It seems like a straight forward indie JRPG so far, but is there anything I should know about The Last Scenario?

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Terranigma
- Watch out for walls that you can climb once you've got the ability to do so! There's one that's really easy to miss which is essential for story progression (IIRC it's in the place where the lion king is).
- Bloody Mary is one of the few bosses in the game which can be hit by Magirock. As there's very little use for it in the game, go wild and shoot her with everything.
- There is no trick to the final boss other than being high enough level to hurt him. It is unlikely that you will have reached said level by the time you have to go fight him. You'll know if you are underlevelled since you will be dealing 1 or 2 damage a hit; if you are high enough level you will be dealing much much more.

Uncle Khasim fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 5, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Centipeed posted:

It seems like a straight forward indie JRPG so far, but is there anything I should know about The Last Scenario?

That it's hard as gently caress? It's fairly straightforward, just difficult.
-Enemies (especially bosses) LOVE to use status effects, so equipment that protects against them is pretty valuable. Late in the game (I haven't beaten it yet) there are what's called Warding Charms(?) that protect against everything, get four as quickly as possible.

-Don't blow your money on new weapons/armor every time it's available, you don't make nearly enough money for this to be feasible.

-Before you go into the desert, make a separate save because you'll be trapped there for a while with no chance to re-supply. Think of it as a "Wiegraf" scenario from FFT.

-You can get prizes for playing Hex, and I think there's an optional boss that's only available if you collect every card in the game. I'm awful at it though so I wouldn't know. I think there's one or two Hex players that can be missed so make sure you play it whenever possible.

If I can think of more I'll post them, like I said it's a good game but I haven't beaten it partially because it's really hard.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bourbon posted:

What's the best way to play Quake online multiplayer these days? ProQuake? ezQuake? JoeQuake? Darkplaces? Option overload.

When I was Quaking about two years ago Darkplaces was best-of-breed as far as I can tell.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Luisfe posted:

Any quick tips for Sword of the Stars? I don't get how I am getting colonies/navigating the 3d starmap.

It's fairly simple. The camera focuses on whatever star you have selected and you can rotate around it. When choosing colonies you want a place with a low hazard rating or else new people won't be generated. You can bolster a colony's population by sending multiple colony ships there, just remember that colony ships only carry imperial citizens. Imperial citizens aren't as valuable as civilians but they never rebel.

Depending on your race you'll want to colonize planets that are typically 30 or less on the hazard scale. You can research technology that improves the rate hazards are reduced and increase the general tolerance of your race. Humans have a really low tolerance and get started slowly on any planet that's not in the single digits.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I'm about to start Two Worlds II. I didn't play the first one and I was wondering if there's anything I need to know beforehand. I just got finished with Divinity 2: DKS. Is TW: II anything like that?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got Persona 3: FES, anything I should know about it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mr E posted:

The Answer is not as good as the main story but is harder.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HoustonWeHaveUhOh posted:

I'm about to start Two Worlds II. I didn't play the first one and I was wondering if there's anything I need to know beforehand. I just got finished with Divinity 2: DKS. Is TW: II anything like that?

I hope someone answers your question because I asked it too :(

I played it a bit last night - I'm trying to make a melee character I suppose. Should I dabble in skills from other branches? Any attribute thresholds I should know about? Better to sell equipment or break it down for parts? Anything in the shops I should be buying? What kind of equipment should I be using or avoiding (heavy armor, slashing vs. blunt weapons, elemental resistances, and so on)? I'm always terrible at these parts of these games, I just like to follow a character build that's known to work and just play the game.

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."

wdarkk posted:

The Answer is not as good as the main story but is harder.
To expand on this, most of the story is revealed in the last 1/8th of the game and otherwise it's all dungeon crawling with added bullshit like no full heal before bosses, and bosses evading attacks that they're weak to and no Persona Compendium or social links. If you really liked the dungeon crawling, play Nocture instead you might enjoy it. Otherwise, don't bother.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Against my better judgement I picked up Advance Wars: Days of Ruin today, because a friend told me it'd probably kick my rear end. Any advice so I can avoid this happening?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monicro posted:

Against my better judgement I picked up Advance Wars: Days of Ruin today, because a friend told me it'd probably kick my rear end. Any advice so I can avoid this happening?

The game, like all advanced wars games, is very easy and generous until it decides to throw a heaping helping of bullshit at you to where it no longer is a strategy game and instead becomes a puzzle game. In Days of Ruin I think its around mission 21 where it gives up the strategy ghost.

With that in mind, its often easier to simply capture the objective of the map then to full destroy absolutely everything on the map. Typically faster too.

Capturing can only be done by infantry. This is pretty much the only reason they exist so keep that in mind because they are fragile, fragile things on the battlefield.

Units in cities not only get a defense bonus they also regenerate health every turn. Therefore, make capturing them top priorities. If you sit on them your opponent doesn't get the benefit so try to dislodge them if you can. Likewise, if you kill an enemy unit on top of a factory place one of yours on it even if you can't capture it. It prevents them from building anything there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mr E posted:

If you have it, search through this thread with SALR or something because there is honestly a lot of poo poo you should probably be aware of prior to playing Persona 3. But here's a few:

Unless you follow a very strict guide, you will not max out all of your social links. You need to come to terms with this right from the get go.

But over the course of the game, you'll probably max out a fair number of them. I strongly recommend making an effort though to make sure these get maxed out: Emperor, Chariot, Strength, Star, and Aeon. Some of these are ones you get late, or at least don't provide immediately useful personae. But they will pay dividends by the end, and could be difficult to max out if you don't make an effort to do so.

There will be more days off to do non-school social links than you will have time for. In other words, don't waste a school day doing non-school social links.

As you gain levels, it takes longer to get tired. Which means you can get farther in Tartarus. Don't be afraid to get Tired, you can visit the nurse at the school to gain Courage anyway.

The bonuses at the Arcade are overall your best bet at maxing out Courage/Charm/Academics. Try to pay attention to what days the games are available and plan accordingly.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I consulted the wiki, and noticed that for Parasite Eve 2 it suggests using an FAQ because the best ending is based on all sorts of typical arbitrary nonsense.

What about Parasite Eve? Same thing?

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

McKracken posted:

I consulted the wiki, and noticed that for Parasite Eve 2 it suggests using an FAQ because the best ending is based on all sorts of typical arbitrary nonsense.

What about Parasite Eve? Same thing?

Not really.

If memory serves, you'll get a more complete ending by completing the Chrysler Building. A 77 floor dungeon that is only accessible on a new game plus.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So question regarding the Dragon Age DLC. When is the "best" time to take them on? I've heard Return to Ostagar will net you a really nice piece of armor and of course Warden's Keep has a whole bunch of cool stuff, plus Shale's quest gets you a party member. Is there any reason not to those immediately after Lothering if possible?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm a few hours into Radiant Historia for the DS. I'm really liking it, but is there anything I should know about it? With all the time travel and such, it seems like the kind of game where you may miss something big on your first playthrough.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

triplexpac posted:

I'm a few hours into Radiant Historia for the DS. I'm really liking it, but is there anything I should know about it? With all the time travel and such, it seems like the kind of game where you may miss something big on your first playthrough.

From what I understand of it the opposite is true; the time travel makes it very difficult to actually miss anything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CaptainRat posted:

From what I understand of it the opposite is true; the time travel makes it very difficult to actually miss anything.

Exactly: nothing is missable, because you can always go back in time and repeat events to get the stuff you missed. Take time to level up new characters, especially Aht, as they tend to outstrip your starting characters at higher levels. When you unlock various powers you'll want to backtrack for sidequests and new chests to get, but otherwise you can pretty much go forward however you wish.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

CaptainRat posted:

I'm not actually sure there's anything you can miss. I'm only a few chapters in myself, but so far, every event/sidequest where you have a choice will repeatedly offer you that choice when you head to the appropriate time point, so if you got it wrong you can go back and do it right and vice versa. And you need to if you want to fill out all the events, since those failure events all count.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Sweet, well that sounds pretty straightforward then! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some great thing I may miss on a casual playthrough.

Really enjoying the game, it's scratching that old-school-RPG itch perfectly.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Luisfe posted:

Check out the SOTS thread's OP, there's a ton of stupidly useful things that the game just doesn't tell you.

For starters, most people find Tarka simplest to use just because of their star drive. Humans can get screwed over by node lines, and Zuul are still too complicated for me (even though I feel like they shouldn't be).

Most races have affinities for certain tech trees, Liir, for example, are more likely to get the higher tier energy weapons. That doesn't mean that Liir should always go Laser tech, though, since it's still possible to dry up before hitting UV lasers.

If you run into the swarm early on, research either light emitters or Point Defence ASAP to deal with them. Emitters do terrible, terrible things to drone swarms, so if you've got those you'll be fine, but PD destroyers can do in a pinch.

This tech tree is a pretty useful tech tree. It's linked in the thread a few times, but I don't know if it's in the OP.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

triplexpac posted:

There is one sidequest, At Journey's End, that has obscure/annoying to get requirements. You CAN go back and get the requirements, but they are nowhere near a node so it is a lot of annoying backtracking, so I would recommend reading up on a FAQ to get the requirements as they come up. If you want to get all the sidequests without referring to an FAQ, just talk to everyone you can. Make sure you talk to them again if the chapter changes, as they will have different stuff to say/sidequests maybe.

Also, pressing Start allows you to skip cutscenes. I wish I had learned this sooner.

Edit: Oh yeah, there are some nodes (such as the first one where you get the big branch off) that will have a seemingly mysterious path. It will be filled as you play the game. Don't worry about it.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Artix74 posted:

So question regarding the Dragon Age DLC. When is the "best" time to take them on? I've heard Return to Ostagar will net you a really nice piece of armor and of course Warden's Keep has a whole bunch of cool stuff, plus Shale's quest gets you a party member. Is there any reason not to those immediately after Lothering if possible?

I would suggest going through Warden's Keep first if you will be using the storage chest there. I found it to be worthwhile, then again I'm a huge packrat.

Return to Ostagar will net you a full armor set for your heavy armor user. It also has a few other decent pieces of equipment from what I recall.

The order I did them in was Warden's Keep>Ostagar>Stone Prisoner, right after Lothering. I don't see any reason to put them off. If you plan on using Shale you may want to consider doing that DLC earlier to get the character at a lower level for more customization on the build. That is if you don't have access to a respec tool.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm going to start playing Armored Princess (the Crossworlds version) but I'm not sure which difficulty I should be playing. I'm pretty bad at strategy games but I still don't want to be able to steamroll every enemy with no need for tactics. How hard is normal?

Xionon
Oct 2, 2002

o crap spelled wrong

pootiebigwang posted:

I am about to pick up KOTOR for the first time and would love some first timer tips for it.

Don't spend your main character's level up points after level 4 or so until after you leave the first planet and become a Jedi. Gaining levels is fine, just don't actually spend the points. This is pretty important, as it lets you get more force powers. (I don't think these are spoilers if you know anything at all about the game, but just in case...)

Flurry is pretty awesome, but mostly at higher levels. At the first rank it misses a lot, especially if you are dual-wielding, so it might be more useful to do normal attacks until you get a couple points in it.

Don't give yourself any feats that have to do with firing guns. Guns are not useful for your main character.

If you get the opportunity to purchase a translator droid, do it. It opens up pretty major content - the assassin droid party member, HK-47, who has the best dialog in the game.

Choose an alignment (LS or DS) and stick to it; you get a bonus for maxing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When's the point of no return in Mass Effect 2? I finished Horizon, a few pointless "kill Blue Suns" side quests later and now I'm being sent to a disabled collector ship. I know after a certain point when your crew is kidnapped that any dilly-dallying is punished but there's still a butt ton of content I haven't even touched yet. Is the game really on a timed spiral to the end or is there a specific action you take that triggers the punish-if-you-tarry end game?