Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sosiz
Nov 8, 2009

keyframe posted:

Well come on over then:

:siren: #pcgaming

irc.synirc.net :siren:

Lets fill this up so we can all have a place to chat while we are away from steam. :unsmith:

All the cool kids are here.

Are you cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

keyframe posted:

Ok I have been using the steelseries icari lazer mouse for an hour now and this is bar none the best mouse I have ever used and I have tried all the logitech ones you guys mentioned. They were not bullshitting when they said they researched ergonomics, never used a mouse so comfortable. It is also awesome you can adjust and store sensitivity right there on the mouse so if you take it to a different computer your settings are there for you as soon as you plug it in.

If anyone is in the market for a mouse definitely give this a try.

Jesus christ, the mouse is 80 bucks...
Do you use touch grip or palm grip? I've tried a ton of those funny looking mice and always came back to the G3. Maybe my hand has shape mouse nostalgia because I still like the symmetrical mice better.

Something ridiculous taken from Amazon
"What is the difference between Ikari Laser and Ikari Optical?
The SteelSeries Ikari Optical is a mouse that's perfectly suited for FPS players. The optical sensor is well proven and can track even when moving the mouse at an extremely high speed when playing on a very low sensitivity. It's a very simple mouse where the focus was clearly on performance in games like Counter-Strike. The Ikari Laser is made for all of the MMO/RTS players that need high precision at a rather high sensitivity. It's not made for extremely fast movements of the hand (and by that we really mean extremely fast). It offers an LCD, on-the-fly counts per inch (CPI) switching and macro functionalities which can be programmed with the software."

FPS players need high sensitivity but RTS need high precision? What?
The marketers of these "gaming" branded devices must think their audience is retarded beyond belief.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

MeruFM posted:

Jesus christ, the mouse is 80 bucks...
Do you use touch grip or palm grip? I've tried a ton of those funny looking mice and always came back to the G3. Maybe my hand has shape mouse nostalgia because I still like the symmetrical mice better.

I dont know what touch or palm grip means but out of all the mice I tried this was by far the best one in every aspect. Whoever designed the ergonomics of it should get a drat award. Give it a try at a store and see if you like it.

--

In other news todays D2D sale is tropico 3 for $3

http://www.direct2drive.com/8468/product/Buy-Tropico-3-Download

--

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

keyframe posted:

It cant be worse than this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/31300/?snr=1_5_9__13

A game based on a Boll film? The circle is complete.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
http://uk.kotaku.com/5789088/world-exclusive-first-look-under-the-hood-of-the-next-unreal-engine

drat this is gorgeous. I think the craziest part is the smoke from the cigarette. Also I would play the poo poo out of a game like the one shown off.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
EA is giving everyone who bought Dragon Age 2 a free copy of Mass Effect 2. I've never played either ME, pretty stoked.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Blackula69 posted:

EA is giving everyone who bought Dragon Age 2 a free copy of Mass Effect 2. I've never played either ME, pretty stoked.

You should buy and play Mass Effect before playing ME2. It'll be difficult to go back to 1 after playing 2. They're both excellent games and you should play both - ME is a better RPG, but ME2 is more fun and polished CHHHARGE SHOTGUN MELEE ATTACK WOO! (Vanguards are the best class).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

I don't get it, is that supposed to be an apology?

ME 1 and 2 are awesome, though.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I watched my ex-roommate play through a lot of Mass Effect, I wasn't really impressed. And those driving sequences? Come on. I think I'll stick with 2, there are so many other games to play. Am I really missing that much?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Blackula69 posted:

I watched my ex-roommate play through a lot of Mass Effect, I wasn't really impressed. And those driving sequences? Come on. I think I'll stick with 2, there are so many other games to play. Am I really missing that much?
If you into games with good plots, you should really try out ME1 first. Otherwise, there's no really big issue going straight to the second one.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Blackula69 posted:

If Mass Effect was put into the "interactive movie" genre, it would fit in just fine. But calling it an RPG (and even having one Bioware developer say it is the most hardcore RPG he ever played) is just vile. I guess you aren't missing much if you're expecting a game with more depth than a puddle.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blackula69 posted:

ME1 has really clunky mechanics (they were still trying to kinda make it an RPG) and the driving is lovely, but it's probably in the top half of Bioware's catalog. Plus, ME2's fairly geared towards people who've played the first game.

FWIW both games have reasonably good ports. I recommend playing them both

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I played ME2 without playing the first and never felt lost at any point. I would just read up the story of ME1 on the wiki and go straight into ME2.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

The driving sequences aren't that great but one of the reasons a lot of people had trouble with them was because they just never, ever figured out that the controls were relative to the front of the tank and not absolute. The controls aren't actually hard.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Hoodrich posted:

http://uk.kotaku.com/5789088/world-exclusive-first-look-under-the-hood-of-the-next-unreal-engine

drat this is gorgeous. I think the craziest part is the smoke from the cigarette. Also I would play the poo poo out of a game like the one shown off.

Holy poo poo...

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

keyframe posted:

I played ME2 without playing the first and never felt lost at any point. I would just read up the story of ME1 on the wiki and go straight into ME2.

I don't think ME is necessary either, but for me a lot of why I liked 2 was the little nods to my character's continuity. With a couple of exceptions like letting Wrex live, they were almost all superficial to ME2's plot though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Node posted:

If Mass Effect was put into the "interactive movie" genre, it would fit in just fine. But calling it an RPG (and even having one Bioware developer say it is the most hardcore RPG he ever played) is just vile. I guess you aren't missing much if you're expecting a game with more depth than a puddle.

I think its bit of an overstatement to say it has the depth of a puddle. Eventually the whole thing goes back to game elitism.

I feel Mass Effect 2 is a great title, and does alot of things right compared to Mass Effect 1. But if ME2 tickles your fancy alot, theres no reason to pass up Mass Effect 1. I just cant stand when people claim one game is more complex and THUS is entirely more rewarding and superior. Its not ever said, but its just felt. But back to my point; If you enjoy Mass Effect 2, the previous title is very enjoyable as well.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Hoodrich posted:

Everything looks snappy except the motion blur. Keep on making me sick game devs!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I beat Mass Effect 2 first and wanted to try out the first one. The game is awful. Clunky interface, inventory system sucks, spells suck, controlling your team sucks, driving sucks, everything sucks except for the dialogue system which is loving awesome. Skip M1 and just read the codex and wikipedia for the background on the characters. None of the decisions you make in that game really matters in ME2. "Hey Shepard, remember on that planet a few years ago when we killed/did not kill that alien? Man, that was intense!"

With ME1 I felt that playing the game was a chore I had to do to get to the excellent dialogue scenes. In ME2 the whole thing is fun. The only minor complaint I have with 2 is mining for resources but you don't have to do a lot of it.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2011

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
How bad can Shadow Harvest be, goons?

How bad can it really be? :ohdear:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Mu Zeta posted:

I beat Mass Effect 2 first and wanted to try out the first one. The game is awful. Clunky interface, inventory system sucks, spells suck, controlling your team sucks, driving sucks, everything sucks except for the dialogue system which is loving awesome. Skip M1 and just read the codex and wikipedia for the background on the characters. None of the decisions you make in that game really matters in ME2.

False. ME1 is much more enjoyable than ME2. :smugbert:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The.GreyWolf posted:

Everything looks snappy except the motion blur. Keep on making me sick game devs!

Depth of field, motion blur, and HDR bug the poo poo out of me. What I see when I wave my hand in front of me is not at all like the motion blur in games, and my perception of what's in my peripheral vision is not the blurry mess games present to me. Maybe one day when we're all wearing VR goggles it will work fine, but as long as everything's displayed on a 2D plane it's not at all like real life and, in my opinion, not worth doing.

I know it doesn't really work out this way, but I'd rather the GPU power be used to model surfaces with real, polygonal bumps instead of normal and bump maps that lose their illusion as soon as you walk within 6 feet of them.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Amrosorma posted:

It's the next SA Goons bad game meme.

MY HAULZ~

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vertigus posted:

I know it doesn't really work out this way, but I'd rather the GPU power be used to model surfaces with real, polygonal bumps instead of normal and bump maps that lose their illusion as soon as you walk within 6 feet of them.

The amount of resources required to do shaders/post processing is absolutely infinitesimal next to the mesh and lighting requirements of polygonal detailing.

It's not a question of GPU power, it's a question of good design.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Amrosorma posted:

Has Top Gear taught you nothing?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Amrosorma posted:

Alright who is taking one for the team and buying this? :v:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Cheezymadman posted:

Has Top Gear taught you nothing?

All I've learned from Top Gear is that I should be very excited about any developments regarding the Dacia Sandero :ohdear:

So tempted to buy this most-likely-awful-game...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Amrosorma posted:

All I've learned from Top Gear is that I should be very excited about any developments regarding the Dacia Sandero :ohdear:

So tempted to buy this most-likely-awful-game...

I don't think you could find a worse single line description for a game. The captial letters just say it all for me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hoodrich posted:

Why does this say "Unreal Engine 3"? Is UE3 getting a major update or what?

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Hoodrich posted:

As much as I like this, I am disappointed that most of this is years from actual use since everything is developed for the 360 and PS3.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Avocadoes posted:

I don't think you could find a worse single line description for a game. The captial letters just say it all for me.

It sounds like a Wikileaks promo to me :911:

The Flying Milton posted:

As much as I like this, I am disappointed that most of this is years from actual use since everything is developed for the 360 and PS3.

More like this is years away from use since it requires 3 GTX 580s to render in real time :negative:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Three GTX 580s won't seem like much in 5 years. Three 9800s wouldn't compare to a 6950. I'm 25 now, I can't imagine what games will look like when I'm 40.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

Three GTX 580s won't seem like much in 5 years.

Indeed, but we're also going to see new consoles by then.

quote:

Three 9800s wouldn't compare to a 6950. I'm 25 now, I can't imagine what games will look like when I'm 40.

Don't worry, we won't be alive to worry about it thanks to 2012 :smuggo:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

The Flying Milton posted:

It is a game engine demo. You are not going to see games look like that anytime soon anyway and consoles have nothing to do with it. It is not hard to make poo poo look supercool when you are making it for a 5 minute scripted cinematic.

Meanwhile Witcher 2 is this way if you want amazing gfx you can play in a month! :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not many PC games even look as good as Uncharted 2 so I don't see consoles to blame for holding back graphics.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Blackula69 posted:

Three GTX 580s won't seem like much in 5 years. Three 9800s wouldn't compare to a 6950. I'm 25 now, I can't imagine what games will look like when I'm 40.

By the time you're 40, we'll have a controller that straps onto our heads so we can use retina tracking instead of analog sticks and neural impulses instead of button presses. Graphics will finally be on par with Pixar films, and all games will be distributed on indestructible hologram cubes.

Realistically, I think we'll be shifting to external video cards over the next five years. The new Thunderbolt interconnect is compatible with the PCI Express protocol, and USB 3.0 solutions are on the way as well.

Soon enough, video card enclosures will be as common as hard drive enclosures, and upgrading the graphics on your rig will be as simple as buying a gpu-box and plugging it in. You know that bracket on the back of your monitor? That's where you'll be strapping on the gpu. While the consoles lag behind, we'll be getting commercials on TV from nVidia telling us how easy it is to get 1600p gaming with a $200 upgrade to your PC/laptop.

With Steam launching on the PS3 in a couple weeks, it will get a lot of exposure. Steam Big Picture mode will ease the transition for console users. Microsoft will try to launch a similar content bridge on their end.

I think that in two years, a lot of people will have some kind of pc-based omni-media box on their tv. That PC, and the new laptops available, will be able to hook up external graphics cards for high-end gaming. The desktop PC will still be around, but mainly for businesses.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Mu Zeta posted:

Not many PC games even look as good as Uncharted 2 so I don't see consoles to blame for holding back graphics.

There are a handful of games that look better than Uncharted 2. On the same note, there are like, zero other console games that look that nice.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Mu Zeta posted:

Well when most PC games are either console ports or indie games what do you expect? That's a rather uninformed stance I'd say.

The few games that are now finally starting to push the gfx on PC will leave the consoles truly in the dust.

Also Uncharted 2 is still limited by the PS3, slap that same game on the PC, and you'd be capable of, at the minimum: higher resolution textures, higher resolution, anti-aliasing, better anisotropic filtering, better effects, and a solid 60fps minimum, and with no need for motion blur to compensate for lovely framerates.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, the only reason console games can still keep up with modern PC games is that PC games are usually just ports of console games in the first place.

Consoles are pretty much the only thing holding back modern PC games from already looking as good as that Unreal 3 demo. Well, that and super duper development funding. Still, the capability is there already. Right now.

edit: Wow. That couldn't have sounded any more ":smug: PC gaming" if I tried. Eh, it's true though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Time to sperg:

Mu Zeta posted:

I beat Mass Effect 2 first and wanted to try out the first one. The game is awful. Clunky interface,
Alright, I'll give you this but it is not that bad on the PC once you get used to it and just convert everything you don't need into gel or sell it.

Mu Zeta posted:

inventory system sucks
Its clunky yes, but I still prefer it above ME2's "Here are 3 guns and no customizing" Also if you hate High Explosive rounds you are dead to me.

Mu Zeta posted:

spells suck
Some do yes, but anything Biotic is awesome in the first game and don't tell me that ragdolling 10 dudes at once and shooting them in the balls isn't fun. ME1biotics, best biotics.

Mu Zeta posted:

controlling your team sucks
Yup, They either die straight away or don't die at all, you can give them commands but they barely listen.

Mu Zeta posted:

driving sucks
At least on the PC the driving was fine, and it added tons to the immersion really.

Mu Zeta posted:

everything sucks except for the dialogue system which is loving awesome. Skip M1 and just read the codex and wikipedia for the background on the characters. None of the decisions you make in that game really matters in ME2. "Hey Shepard, remember on that planet a few years ago when we killed/did not kill that alien? Man, that was intense!"

With ME1 I felt that playing the game was a chore I had to do to get to the excellent dialogue scenes. In ME2 the whole thing is fun. The only minor complaint I have with 2 is mining for resources but you don't have to do a lot of it.

It is far from a perfect game but saying the game sucks as a whole is a thing I never understood in general, I mean I really don't like Call of Duty but technically you can't call them bad-bad like bad rats or the likes.

Also ME1 had a lot more immersion and due to not needing cover all the time (Barrier and immunity) the areas that weren't copy-paste sidemissions looked a lot more natural compared to ME2's "Exotic planet with waist high boxes" "Deserted thing with waist high cover"
I also liked the area transferring in ME1 a lot more, in the second game you pick a destination and with some luck get a cutscene of your ship docking before you are dumped on the planet, In ME1 you used an airlock and decontamination and even though these things just hid loading screens they almost never had you look at a pure loading screen for main missions.

Don't get me wrong, ME2 is a great game (Otherwise I wouldn't LP it) but ME1 is far from bad and almost no games coming out nowadays can really be called bad-bad.

• Locked thread