Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
gently caress. gently caress
That's the kind of poo poo I imagined cobbling together when I started looking into blacksmithing. They're all awesome :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

gently caress. gently caress
That's the kind of poo poo I imagined cobbling together when I started looking into blacksmithing. They're all awesome :3:

If you want to make stuff like that you don't want to get into blacksmithing, you want to get into welding/grinding. Upside, 110v buzzbox, rods, an angle grinder, and a lot of sandpaper is cheap (Some craigslist trawling can find you the whole set for less then $100 I'm sure). Downside, you will never be making things 'from scratch', just putting things together, you won't get to play with heat tempers or feel the impact of a hammer. (serviceability is also an issue, but a minor one, you won't be making any good blades until you've had stupid amounts of practice blacksmithing anyway).

artificialj
Aug 17, 2004

You're the gourmet around here, Eddie.
Holy poo poo that is some cool stuff. Absolutely love the warhammer/smasher. Haha, awesome.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

jovial_cynic posted:

I LOVE these. I wonder if there's anything you can do make a more hand-friendly handle. They may remain impractical, but if they feel great to hold, I think that would add a lot to the appeal.

All of them are "useable" to some degree. The hand ax chops a mean piece of wood and I would not want to get wacked up side the head by any of these. The ax and the dive shaft mace are the lightest of them. Some of these are chrome-moly. Wonderfully tough heavy stuff. Especially the tranny shaft mace. That thing is a two hander.

I guess that I could wrap the grip areas with leather to make them more user friendly. Although I used one of them quite a bit with just some leather gloves and it was fine. Got quite a work out doing it. Punching holes in a truck body was fun!

I made all of these with a Lincoln 255 welder, a drop band saw, and a bench grinder that has a coarse grinding wheel and a large wire wheel on it. Having a well equipped home shop is nice.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I want that smasher so loving bad. The second mace is also really cool. And the first mace. And the ax.

I want to build stuff like that so bad.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

I want that smasher so loving bad. The second mace is also really cool. And the first mace. And the ax.

I want to build stuff like that so bad.

I guess all of them are for sale if anyone wanted one bad enough. I just make them and hang them on my shop wall. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. Just remember, these things are loving heavy and shipping will be a fair bit of coin.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Gwamp posted:

I guess all of them are for sale if anyone wanted one bad enough. I just make them and hang them on my shop wall. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. Just remember, these things are loving heavy and shipping will be a fair bit of coin.

Thanks, but I'm broke as hell. And it's something that I'd like to make myself. I just need to find a better junkyard, and more time.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Thanks, but I'm broke as hell. And it's something that I'd like to make myself. I just need to find a better junkyard, and more time.

They are fun to make. Junkyards and garage sales are the best places to get materials for these. That and have friends that are heavy into old cars.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Gwamp posted:

Now that I have copious amounts of spare time, I can finally post up some of the silly crap I have been making when the mood strikes me. I like to take old car parts and re-purpose them into impractical weapons.

Sort of related my old wood turning teacher would take drive shafts and make turning gouges out of them.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

Linux Assassin posted:

If you want to make stuff like that you don't want to get into blacksmithing, you want to get into welding/grinding. Upside, 110v buzzbox, rods, an angle grinder, and a lot of sandpaper is cheap (Some craigslist trawling can find you the whole set for less then $100 I'm sure). Downside, you will never be making things 'from scratch', just putting things together, you won't get to play with heat tempers or feel the impact of a hammer. (serviceability is also an issue, but a minor one, you won't be making any good blades until you've had stupid amounts of practice blacksmithing anyway).

My first attempts at tomahawks. An old rail spike and carriage bolt. Small bit of cheating with an angle grinder on the bolt. They not 'good', but they were fun to make. I just have to heat treat them and finish the handles.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cool stuff. Are the eyes circular or oval shaped? or tear drop even?

I need to make an oval drift, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a way to make it good enough to drift holes for hammer handles.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
For hammers specifically, can't you punch the eye with a round drift and then dress the sides flat, ending up with an oval eye?

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
I did a job test yesterday for chrome carbine overlay. It's pretty much the worst rod I've ever used in my career. We were using 1/4" rod and it burns at about 70amps. It's a tubular rod with flux on the inside and outside and it flakes off in the weirdest spots, much worse than regular fingernailing. Also the weld cracks across it as you can see in the pictures as you are welding. It's so weird to hear *ping ping.... PING... PING!!!* while you are welding your piece.

Here is my vertical.

And my horizontal.

Really ugly stuff but I passed the test and now im off to Fort McMurray to fill the bank up again.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ambrose Burnside posted:

For hammers specifically, can't you punch the eye with a round drift and then dress the sides flat, ending up with an oval eye?

:stare:

That... I.. yes, of course, it all makes sense.

gently caress why didn't I think of that. :(

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Ambrose Burnside posted:

That's pretty clever. Slung Blade, if Doc Brown were here, he'd say "Marty, you're not thing fourth dimensionally!"

Ambrose, I've been watching the rebroadcast of Ken Burn's the Civil War (the American Civil War, that is), and for the first time ever found out that you're account has a name sake.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

Slung Blade posted:

Cool stuff. Are the eyes circular or oval shaped? or tear drop even?

I need to make an oval drift, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a way to make it good enough to drift holes for hammer handles.

Circular, not oval. Because I'm dumb as well (and because there wasn't an oval or teardrop drift at work)

But, I'd planned on making my own handles anyway, so uh, it was intentional

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

The Scientist posted:

Ambrose, I've been watching the rebroadcast of Ken Burn's the Civil War (the American Civil War, that is), and for the first time ever found out that you're account has a name sake.

Well, natch. If I didn't have this stupid loving Forums Cancer you'd see my titillating moustache av :jiggled:

#driftchat: is there any reason you can't make hex drifts? It seems like a stupid excessive thing, but as long as you can buy hex bar alongside normal stock it seems like a neat little touch to stuff you're punching (and you could probably use it for handles proper, as it wouldn't spin like it would in a round hole). And if you could make Hex Handles, it'd seem like a reasonable compromise on the usual oval/teardrop drifts- it's probably way, way easier to buy some hex bar and grind it to a taper, rather than free-hand forming a rounded drift.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 6, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
They make these things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZpWcl1BKVk

Which is substantially different than what you guys are talking about. But achieves the same ends. It boggles my mind that there are spindles on machines that can bear down on a workpiece with the same pressure as like a hydraulic press.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Well, natch. If I didn't have this stupid loving Forums Cancer you'd see my titillating moustache av :jiggled:

Well we do know a guy know.....

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ambrose Burnside posted:

#driftchat: is there any reason you can't make hex drifts? It seems like a stupid excessive thing, but as long as you can buy hex bar alongside normal stock it seems like a neat little touch to stuff you're punching (and you could probably use it for handles proper, as it wouldn't spin like it would in a round hole). And if you could make Hex Handles, it'd seem like a reasonable compromise on the usual oval/teardrop drifts- it's probably way, way easier to buy some hex bar and grind it to a taper, rather than free-hand forming a rounded drift.

Nope, no reason at all. I've seen people punch square holes in things, all you need is some square bar.

With round punches, it's a little easier. You can use a smaller punch to get through faster and then drift it out. With shaped holes, you usually have to punch with the size you want the hole to be. You can drift them out, but you have to line it up perfectly or it goes all lopsided on you.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Been away for the forums for a couple weeks... just wanted to say to everyone who posted pictures of all the great welds and weapons/art, etc., keep it coming! Great work, everyone.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

King of Gulps posted:

Any tricks for getting a stuck Morse taper drill chuck out of a kind of crummy old mill/drill? As far as I know, this chuck had been in the machine for a decade or so, until I took it out (with no drama), put in another tool holder briefly (also with no drama), then put the first one back in. It was clean when I put it in, and I don't think I went past "snug" on the drawbar, but it is well and truly wedged in there now. I've given the drawbar a fairly good pounding with no sign of breaking it free, and it's currently soaking in PB blaster poured down the spindle. Any other advice?

Welp, this has been a learning experience. I popped the chuck off its jacobs taper, then tried literally every suggestion (short of drilling, collapsing, and rehoning the taper), here and elsewhere on the internet to get the morse taper part out of the spindle, including:
  • tapping it with a brass hammer lightly
  • escalating to a ballpeen, harder
  • whacking the poo poo out of it
  • the above, with a three day accumulation of penetrating oil
  • the above, also using The Scientist's heating/wicking trick
  • various drift configurations through the slot in the spindle, and the above hammering techniques
  • all of the above, after dry-icing the arbor
  • as per practicalmachinist.com, getting a cheap air chisel from Harbor Freight and going at it
  • drilling and tapping a hole in the arbor (hard as heck, at least until you get through the outer shell), and using an appropriate bolt and spacers to pull it out (stopped before twisting apart the bolt)
  • two ton bottle jack applied to raise spindle while bracing top of arbor against machine through the drift hole (stopped when I saw (non-axial) movement in the column, ugh)
  • removed spindle, built fixture, applied two ton jack via long piece of stainless rod in place of drawbar (stopped when jack handle simply wouldn't move any further)
None of these did anything good. It sure is time for new bearings probably, though.

The final solution:

(test setup, obviously not squared)

This guy at first proceeded to do nothing more than mushroom one end of a piece of 7/16" CR rod, while extruding the other end into the 3/8"-16 drawbar hole.
One piece of 0.484" tool steel rod later, the arbor made a super loud BANG and released. No abrasion, no signs of galling, no debris in the female spindle taper. Everything's clean and straight, except for the rod, which ALSO showed a little circle where it pressed into the drawbar hole.
Overall, I seriously don't know what the gently caress? I'm usually super cautious when torqueing things, I guess I'll get someone's little sister to tighten my drawbar from now on or :confused:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

God drat man, how the gently caress did it get stuck so bad :psyduck:

Good on you for getting it out though. That's quite the list of attempts.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

King of Gulps posted:

get someone's little sister to tighten my drawbar
:pervert:

For serious though, I'm glad that you got it out.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Yeah man, seriously, that sounds like a hell of a lot of work. Must have been gratifying as hell, especially once it came out and looked damage free (:iiam:)

Any chance you could take some pics of the face of the taper part of the chuck that your rendered asunder*?

I was thinking about suggesting just some like, fine grit sanding to make sure its billiard-ball smooth. But I wouldn't, in good conscience, recommend that 'cause I'm liable to believe what you said about it being in perfect shape still (don't know how or why, but I have no reason not to believe you).

Also, you're gonna use some grease in there next time, right?

:feelsgood:

edit: I wonder if its sposed to be "wrended asunder"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
am I reading that wrong, or did it take multiple attempts with the bottle jack, including one that almost damaged the jack? :wtc:

e: also, if you put up pictures can you include one of the double-hosed cold-rolled rod?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

King of Gulps posted:

Welp, this has been a learning experience. I popped the chuck off its jacobs taper, then tried literally every suggestion (short of drilling, collapsing, and rehoning the taper), here and elsewhere on the internet to get the morse taper part out of the spindle, including:
  • tapping it with a brass hammer lightly
  • escalating to a ballpeen, harder
  • whacking the poo poo out of it
  • the above, with a three day accumulation of penetrating oil
  • the above, also using The Scientist's heating/wicking trick
  • various drift configurations through the slot in the spindle, and the above hammering techniques
  • all of the above, after dry-icing the arbor
  • as per practicalmachinist.com, getting a cheap air chisel from Harbor Freight and going at it
  • drilling and tapping a hole in the arbor (hard as heck, at least until you get through the outer shell), and using an appropriate bolt and spacers to pull it out (stopped before twisting apart the bolt)
  • two ton bottle jack applied to raise spindle while bracing top of arbor against machine through the drift hole (stopped when I saw (non-axial) movement in the column, ugh)
  • removed spindle, built fixture, applied two ton jack via long piece of stainless rod in place of drawbar (stopped when jack handle simply wouldn't move any further)
None of these did anything good. It sure is time for new bearings probably, though.

The final solution:

(test setup, obviously not squared)

This guy at first proceeded to do nothing more than mushroom one end of a piece of 7/16" CR rod, while extruding the other end into the 3/8"-16 drawbar hole.
One piece of 0.484" tool steel rod later, the arbor made a super loud BANG and released. No abrasion, no signs of galling, no debris in the female spindle taper. Everything's clean and straight, except for the rod, which ALSO showed a little circle where it pressed into the drawbar hole.
Overall, I seriously don't know what the gently caress? I'm usually super cautious when torqueing things, I guess I'll get someone's little sister to tighten my drawbar from now on or :confused:
Is the little loving clit thing up inside the spindle worn down? if so you might have missed the channel or something and torqued onto that thing and when you drilled it just hosed it worse.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

King Nothing posted:

Alright so I called Sears, and got lost in the phone menus so that didn't happen. I called Thomas Wieland, and he only does pet grooming stuff, so that didn't work. Finally I called Precision Sharpening, and that seemed like a good place. I brought my old snips, plus a brand new pair for comparison, and a platter to practice cutting on. I explained that the last time someone tried to sharpen these, they came back useless for cutting metal. The 50-ish guy I talked to said they did snips for artists doing metalwork all the time, and it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, he called me back and said he couldn't sharpen them, and sure enough they're now useless. He said he'd never had this happen before and wasn't sure what the problem was, aside from something about removing material changing the fulcrum on a pair of snips.

So is it possible that these snips simply can't be sharpened? I took some pictures of the old and new pairs side by side if that's useful to anyone:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59980513@N03/sets/72157626137639136/

Just an update on this, I e-mailed this photo set to Fiskars and asked if they had any thoughts on why sharpening went so poorly. They said it should be possible to sharpen them, and also sent me two new pairs of snips for free! That's pretty cool of them.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Cross-posting from my SA-Mart thread. This is my favorite figurine that I've welded up, and I figured I'd show it off:

dragon skeleton

and bonus VIDEO so you can see the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUAVdy3N6A

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

The Scientist posted:

Any chance you could take some pics of the face of the taper part of the chuck that your rendered asunder*?

Here's one taken at an angle showing all the little micro abrasions and stuff, you can see pretty clearly where the female spindle taper ended...

...but it feels smooth to the touch, and looks like this in normal light:

Ambrose Burnside posted:

am I reading that wrong, or did it take multiple attempts with the bottle jack, including one that almost damaged the jack? :wtc:
The two ton jack was a non-starter. First attempt was with the spindle still in the machine, in a kind of dumb setup that I abandoned when I saw the right angle formed by the table and the column of the mill becoming obtuse. Out of the machine, I just couldn't jack no more.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

e: also, if you put up pictures can you include one of the double-hosed cold-rolled rod?
The twelve ton jack failed at first, because of this:

and this (extrusion is kind of lemon shaped from two attempts, both slightly off center. The little hole was to screw a pin into that then would fit into the drawbar hole, hopefully centering the rod):

I probably could have continued, and gotten the arbor out with the cold rolled pusher, but on the other hand I could have mushroomed it bad enough to get wedged into the spindle so I said screw it and got this (Like "W1" tool steel I think? Still deformed a little.):

Random Number posted:

Is the little loving clit thing up inside the spindle worn down? if so you might have missed the channel or something and torqued onto that thing and when you drilled it just hosed it worse.
Not sure what this means, but I aim to find out! Anyway, thanks for kind words and encouragement everyone. Hopefully the next dumb rear end in a top hat who pulls this particular boner will google this page and save themselves much time and effort by going to harbor freight, buying the $129 twelve ton press and be done with it.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Hi all! I got a new welder last week, a Hobart 140 mig. I am very excited about it as I can now melt metal together! It has a very stable arc and makes a nice weld on flux core or solid wire w/ gas. The first thing I did of course was weld up a welding cart with it.

I still have to make handles for pushing it around, and I left room in the back so I can add a larger gas bottle in the future.

I also made this bench out of square tubing.

My girlfriend wants me to make some wall art stuff for her that she has printed out pics of then my next project is another one of these because my brother wants one.

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 17, 2011

waffleking
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe you guys can help me out with this one. My dad bought the stuff pictured below at an auction yesterday. There are quite a few hammers and dies, and a couple pairs of tongs. He plans on reselling all of it at a flea market, and wanted some input on suggested prices. Any ideas on the value or quality of this stuff? We're not very familiar with blacksmithing equipment.

Also, I got this bad rear end 5" wilton vise. It is freaking huge, and in great shape. I'm keeping this thing for when I get my own shop.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
This thread suddenly has some awesome poo poo in it.

King Nothing posted:

Just an update on this, I e-mailed this photo set to Fiskars [...] and also sent me two new pairs of snips for free! That's pretty cool of them.

That is awesome. When you find a brand that evokes brand loyalty (for the right reasons), you stick with it. Problem solved, :colbert:, huh?

jovial_cynic posted:

dragon skeleton

I mean this 100% man; that's amazing. Its beautiful. It belongs in an art museum.

King of Gulps posted:

Not sure what this means, but I aim to find out! Anyway, thanks for kind words and encouragement everyone. Hopefully the next dumb rear end in a top hat who pulls this particular boner will google this page and save themselves much time and effort by going to harbor freight, buying the $129 twelve ton press and be done with it.

I think he's talking about the other kind of taper; I think its Morse taper (?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_taper#Morse

See how its got that flat part at the top of the taper - a little like a flat head screw driver? (My dad calls flat head's "standard" [as opposed to phillips] am I'm inclined to continue that trend except idk if anyone else would know what I'm talking about])

In fact, I find it a little strange that this piece doesn't have one of those. How does it even get held in the spindle and get kept from spinning under load? It almost seems like that tapered piece pictured would fall straight out of the drat spindle. It defies logic.

Anyway, although I think you might know more about it than me, I was thinking that what I would do is sand it with some 320 grit and then work my way up from there, going pretty high. Make that mamma jamma smooth. Then before putting it back in next time, smear it with one hell of a lot of grease.

Chauncey posted:

[...] a Hobart 140 mig [...]

This is all excellent. Several orders of magnitude greater than the best I could possibly have come up with for my first welding attempts. I wanna know more about that articulating sander in the last picture. Did you make that yourself? What was it like getting the tolerances right so that there'd be no slack in the belt?

I have a feeling that hobart's gonna treat you well.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

King of Gulps posted:

Addendum to this: Is it an R8 taper? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_taper#R8 because if that is the case do not use any grease.

Also, if that is the case, perhaps it was stuck in there because the collet itself was still tightened around the taper. (which would be a huge :blush: situation, but I wouldn't blame you one bit - wouldn't be the first time for me, that's for drat sure)

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

The tang on the end of a Morse taper shank(the flat part) is for ejection from lathe tailstocks. You wind the barrel in until a button inside the tailstock pushes on it and forces the tapers apart. Also for when using a drift to remove it from a drill press. The part is kept from spinning inside the taper simply by the fit of the taper.

Thanks for the comments on my cart, I am very happy with it. I will paint it when all is done. Hobart is owned by Miller and the welder is made in USA so I have high hopes for it. I'm not exactly a novice welder but I have basically zero time on a wire feed machine. I'm used to tig(not even very good at that).

I built the belt grinder myself. It's based on the KMG grinder. I made it from looking at pics on the internet and made a 72 inch loop of tape or something to figure out my dimensions and still left a lot of length on tooling arm to make sure I could tension the belt. I had a hell of a time getting the belt to track straight until I put a ~1 deg. crown on the drive and tensioner wheels. All in all, I learned a lot of lessons the hard way building this one and the next one will be that much better for it!

The tensioner is spring loaded like so to take up any slack.

If you have any more questions I'd be glad to answer.

Edit: Bonus action shot w/ a decent camera!

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 19, 2011

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

The Scientist posted:

I think he's talking about the other kind of taper; I think its Morse taper (?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_taper#Morse

See how its got that flat part at the top of the taper - a little like a flat head screw driver? (My dad calls flat head's "standard" [as opposed to phillips] am I'm inclined to continue that trend except idk if anyone else would know what I'm talking about])

In fact, I find it a little strange that this piece doesn't have one of those. How does it even get held in the spindle and get kept from spinning under load? It almost seems like that tapered piece pictured would fall straight out of the drat spindle. It defies logic.

This is definitely a Morse taper, which will either have the tang (as linked above), or the drawbar hole on the top (as in this piece). The tang doesn't do anything to secure the taper (nor does the drawbar, in theory)- it's strictly friction, and enough of it apparently to support a car (or resist a two ton jack) if you combine the mechanical advantage of the screw (the overtightened drawbar) with that of a wedge (the taper itself). Oddly, I can't find any replacements (since I chopped off the Jacobs end of the arbor to get a better surface to drill into) with a drawbar hole, all the new ones have a tang.

e:

Random Number posted:

Oh yeah, this makes more sense to me in light of T.S.'s post above, but nope, no clit/tang here :thumbsup:

King of Gulps fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 17, 2011

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

waffleking posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out with this one. My dad bought the stuff pictured below at an auction yesterday. There are quite a few hammers and dies, and a couple pairs of tongs. He plans on reselling all of it at a flea market, and wanted some input on suggested prices. Any ideas on the value or quality of this stuff? We're not very familiar with blacksmithing equipment.

Also, I got this bad rear end 5" wilton vise. It is freaking huge, and in great shape. I'm keeping this thing for when I get my own shop.

The tongs look well made, but they're pretty generic. Just flat stock holders from what I can see. 5-20 bucks maybe?

The hardie tools, the things with the iron shanks on them, look to be pretty good. They fit into the square hole on the anvil and the working face points up, can you get some shots of that so I can see their condition? If they are in as good of shape as the shanks look to be, they're reasonably valuable. Brand new they're about 20-70 bucks depending on what shape and what tool material they're made from. Used, somewhat less.

Those top dies (hammers shaped like U and such) usually are partnered with a mirrored bottom hardie tool of the same shape, not always, but generally. Do you have matching sets for them? Or maybe the guy had a big cast iron swage block (looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece and weighs about 100-300 pounds)? If you just have the top ones, the value will be somewhat less. Given how rusty they look, you could probably get 10-30 bucks for them. Clean them up a little if you can, you might get a bit more.

That axe looks amazing. No idea what it would be worth though.

Blacksmith's Depot will give you a good idea of what these are worth new:
http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hopefully this is the right place to ask:

I'm signing up for a welding class, as a hobbyist. What I want is to get a basic level of skill in welding, so I can do some simple tasks on my own as needed. I'm doing this at the local community college, but I am not a resident and will be paying out-of-state tuition. As such, I want to get the most bang for my buck, and take the course that will give me the most widely-usable welding skill(s).

So I have two choices: oxy-acetylene welding/cutting, or shielded metallic arc welding 1 (there are 5 levels of this course total, but I would just do the first, at least for now.)

Me and a buddy are doing this. We originally figured on just doing the arc welding, since we were guessing that was the most "normal" type of welding we would encounter. The guy doing the orientation just sort of put us in with the oxy cut/weld group, but I think he did that since everyone else there is doing this as part of the program in order to get a job in the industry and that's the first course. The instructor(s) said we could do it either way, though, so I'm just not really sure what I should go for. Of course, oxy cut/weld isn't a pre-requisite for the arc welding course, but I'm sure they teach some skills that would be useful there.

So yeah, what say you, or SomethingAwful Oracle? Where will I get the most bang for my buck, from oxy weld/cut, or from arc welding?

The course descriptions, as short as they are: oxy cut/weld, smaw.

waffleking
Jul 13, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

The tongs look well made, but they're pretty generic. Just flat stock holders from what I can see. 5-20 bucks maybe?

The hardie tools, the things with the iron shanks on them, look to be pretty good. They fit into the square hole on the anvil and the working face points up, can you get some shots of that so I can see their condition? If they are in as good of shape as the shanks look to be, they're reasonably valuable. Brand new they're about 20-70 bucks depending on what shape and what tool material they're made from. Used, somewhat less.

Those top dies (hammers shaped like U and such) usually are partnered with a mirrored bottom hardie tool of the same shape, not always, but generally. Do you have matching sets for them? Or maybe the guy had a big cast iron swage block (looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece and weighs about 100-300 pounds)? If you just have the top ones, the value will be somewhat less. Given how rusty they look, you could probably get 10-30 bucks for them. Clean them up a little if you can, you might get a bit more.

That axe looks amazing. No idea what it would be worth though.

Blacksmith's Depot will give you a good idea of what these are worth new:
http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/

Thanks for the info, he has fifty bucks in everything there except the axe, which was like ten, so I can tell him he did ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bad Munki posted:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask:

I'm signing up for a welding class, as a hobbyist. What I want is to get a basic level of skill in welding, so I can do some simple tasks on my own as needed. I'm doing this at the local community college, but I am not a resident and will be paying out-of-state tuition. As such, I want to get the most bang for my buck, and take the course that will give me the most widely-usable welding skill(s).

So I have two choices: oxy-acetylene welding/cutting, or shielded metallic arc welding 1 (there are 5 levels of this course total, but I would just do the first, at least for now.)

Me and a buddy are doing this. We originally figured on just doing the arc welding, since we were guessing that was the most "normal" type of welding we would encounter. The guy doing the orientation just sort of put us in with the oxy cut/weld group, but I think he did that since everyone else there is doing this as part of the program in order to get a job in the industry and that's the first course. The instructor(s) said we could do it either way, though, so I'm just not really sure what I should go for. Of course, oxy cut/weld isn't a pre-requisite for the arc welding course, but I'm sure they teach some skills that would be useful there.

So yeah, what say you, or SomethingAwful Oracle? Where will I get the most bang for my buck, from oxy weld/cut, or from arc welding?

The course descriptions, as short as they are: oxy cut/weld, smaw.

First course I took was O/A. Very helpful when starting out, it's so slow that it makes it very easy to see how the puddle develops and it allows you to control the heat.

I have not done any O/A stuff since that course though, but it was still very helpful.

However, given that the cost might be too high, I'm sure you can get an excellent understanding starting with the arc welding.

My advice would be to take both if you can afford it, or just the arc if you can only swing one.

Waffleking: you're welcome, but remember you'll only be able to get anything approaching those prices with the right audience.