Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SIVUO9A4a8
Oh my... god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh my... god.

Three near highsides.. just another day at the office :smug:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Whatever troubles you, ails you, or stands between you and total self actualization today, know that it could be worse. You could be

Charlie Sheen. On a Harley. In a living room.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Watched that the other day. It's no Stone Cold imo.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I'll have to watch it only because I'm having trouble processing this as a still.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Chong in a living room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z08zZ1xW9Yw

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I know what's bothering me--the feng shui's all off. There, that's better.

Or, if you happen to have a BMW R25/3, you can join the People who have a R25/3 in the Living Room Club, International.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/club/index.htm

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

I know what's bothering me--the feng shui's all off. There, that's better.

Or, if you happen to have a BMW R25/3, you can join the People who have a R25/3 in the Living Room Club, International.

http://www.ducatiomaha.com/showroom.asp?g=used&m=Ducati_2002998.jpg

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Marv Hushman posted:

Good place for them, cause I hear they're complete poo poo on the road.

Great site, too, I've used it as a reference many times while working on my bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

A barely-ridden Ducati garage queen with mile-wide chicken strips, how surprising.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

A barely-ridden Ducati garage queen with mile-wide chicken strips, how surprising.

The guy basically had it as a piece of furniture, pretty much just brought it in to the shop once a year for oil changes, hence the 1,554 miles on a 2002 lol

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Less than 200 miles a year. Poor bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You guys realize you can be fast without lots of lean angle right?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I also quite like the guy in the header top left, staring intently at the pavement infront and below him.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

n8r posted:

Yes, cause straight lines are the poo poo

emilbus
May 30, 2001

Diduuh diduuh.

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh my... god.

I love the head nod. Everyone I know does it after close calls.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Uungh. I want it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slim Pickens posted:

Uungh. I want it.

I'm not so keen on the headlight, I would have used a wider/flatter one and put it slightly lower, or maybe given it a small cowling. The rest of the bike certainly gives me moto-wood, though. The visual separation of the tank/tail piece and the stressed motor puts me in mind of Brittens, and the Guzzi twin powerplant has always looked imposing, purposeful, somehow aeronautical.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm not so keen on the headlight, I would have used a wider/flatter one and put it slightly lower

I really hate the high mount headlights. They should be low to fit with the other lines of the bike. :colbert:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the windscreen is also an old Arai visor, so those vents keep distracting me. Otherwise I like it, headlight and all.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Totally coincidental garage queen find, just prior to reading your post:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2308959529.html

Assuming it was purchased in the '99 calendar year, with '12 being a non-starter of a season, that's 217/12 = 18.3 miles/year. Given the range numbers I've looked at, it is theoretically on its second tank of gas.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stare:

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9c5poj8Ww
Go bike, go!

Pretty dangerous for the other riders.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Holy poo poo, it's amazing that the entire field managed to miss it, and the worst damage the bike probably sustained was a broken brake lever.

KozmoNaut posted:

:stare:

the box-section steel frame with sloppy welds is what really screams quality in this build.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 7, 2011

TskMgr
Aug 26, 2009
Me down at the gap a couple years ago. This Ohio weather needs to figure its self out SOON.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh my... god.

The same thing but with bonus live Dovi reaction.

TskMgr
Aug 26, 2009
and cause im bored and feeling nostalgic, here's some pics from last summer.

Taken the day after a track day, went a little too hot into turn 2 and lost my belly fairings to the corner. Never even knew they were gone until i got into the pit after seeing the caution flag go up a few turns later. apparently somebody target fixated on them and went right through one. oops.

anyways, i dug through my box-o-fairings and found some old OEMs. took the old rattle can to em and they came out looking spectacular. Before and after shots, dont have pics w/ the decals i put on though.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Very pretty. Makes it look alot cleaner.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

TskMgr posted:

Me down at the gap a couple years ago. This Ohio weather needs to figure its self out SOON.

Hah, I remember this pic from AE.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

n8r posted:

Well, it is in Omaha. Have you seen the roads? There are no curves.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

NO UNLESS YOU ARE LEANED TO THE RAGGED EDGE OF THE TIRE YOU ARE NOT GOING FAST AROUND THAT CORNER NO MATTER WHAT THE SPEEDOMETER SAYS.

I actually think "no chicken strips" has become the new poser sign.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

NO UNLESS YOU ARE LEANED TO THE RAGGED EDGE OF THE TIRE YOU ARE NOT GOING FAST AROUND THAT CORNER NO MATTER WHAT THE SPEEDOMETER SAYS.

I had huge chicken strips on the DRZ.

but they were because I pinched a 160 on that rim

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Anyone know what the rule on Motorcycle macros are in this thread?

No sigtraps.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm not saying you're a horrible rider if you have a cm of strips on your tires, especially if they are larger tires like 180s or 190s. I am saying that that particular Ducati, with a solid 1.5 inches of strips on the rubber, was piloted by somebody who was either unwilling or unable to ride in a spirited manner on the street. And that's too bad given the nature of the bike, which was made to be ridden quickly through corners.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Some of us go to the track and can't help it if our chicken strips are gone.

I once met a 60something year old man who bought a bran new 1198S. We went on a ride and he was slow, shakey looking and I thought 'geeze... why do you own that thing'.

A few months later I saw him at the local track, absolutely hauling massive amounts of rear end in the A group, making us kids look like fools.

You can't use chicken strips to judge a rider one way or another, but you can use it to poke fun at your friends because why not.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Some of us go to the track and can't help it if our chicken strips are gone.

I once met a 60something year old man who bought a bran new 1198S. We went on a ride and he was slow, shakey looking and I thought 'geeze... why do you own that thing'.

A few months later I saw him at the local track, absolutely hauling massive amounts of rear end in the A group, making us kids look like fools.

You can't use chicken strips to judge a rider one way or another, but you can use it to poke fun at your friends because why not.

My favorite chicken strips to see are torched tires with a .5-1.5 inch "chicken strip", where you can see the difference between the track wear and the street wear. :v:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Phat_Albert posted:

Slightly clever, semantically cute phrases that are repeated often enough will eventually be confused with the truth. A dash of alliteration or assonance speeds up the process dramatically.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

a pretty drat immaculate Honda Hawk GT seen in the parking lot today:

I always wanted one of these, but they were impossible to find in Canada and I gave up. I wonder if ones in this good shape can be found reasonably in the UK? I'll have to investigate...

TskMgr
Aug 26, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Hah, I remember this pic from AE.

WOW that just brought back a poo poo storm of memories. i wish i had more pics than what are saved to my imageshack account.

:edit: on the topic of chicken strips, its one of the best indicators as to what type of rider you "can be". If you've got virgin sidewalls but square tires theres a good chance you've bragged about hitting 140 on your local interstate. If you actually use you're whole tire it at least shows you know the potential of your machine. The angle of lean that is between your chicken strips and your knee down (with proper form) is way farther than most people think. I lost my chicken strips on an interchance on the expressway. I never worried about it again.

It helps me pick out the type of people i wanna talk to at bike night, but its not the end-all determination of skill.

TskMgr fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm not saying you're a horrible rider if you have a cm of strips on your tires, especially if they are larger tires like 180s or 190s. I am saying that that particular Ducati, with a solid 1.5 inches of strips on the rubber, was piloted by somebody who was either unwilling or unable to ride in a spirited manner on the street. And that's too bad given the nature of the bike, which was made to be ridden quickly through corners.
If you're riding a bike like THAT in a "spirited manner quickly through the corners" on the street you're pretty much riding unsafely and illegally. I see no reason to chastise people for riding safely and legally. On the other hand that bike in particular was obviously barely ridden at all anywhere in any manner. That is kinda sad. Not unusual with Ducatis, though, from what I've seen on craigslist.