Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Aw come on, 1408 is perfectly fine. Not a masterpiece by any means, but a nice, tight piece of moviemaking. Nothing to write home about, but Cusack is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
It's not a bad movie, it's a serviceable movie.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I enjoyed it too, mostly because it didn't fall into some lame explanation like "a witch died in the room." It did have a few cliches later on, but Room 1408 still felt more malevolent than most ghost stories. Also, Cusack beating up a mini-fridge.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
It was a much better movie than I was expecting. Not great, but not bad.

I remember the feeling after the escape fakeout reveal was really gut-wrenching.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

Which is too bad because I honestly think the short story is some of Stephen King's best writing. After he gets in the room the narrator starts off thinking normal type thoughts and there's such a slow, subtle transition that you can't even point to one specific place where he goes off the rails, but all of a sudden it hits you -- he's talking about some crazy poo poo now (due to the hallucinatory power of the room). Just perfectly executed by King.

No joke, that story has the same sort of "Oh poo poo I woke up and somehow I'm in Hell" feeling that The Shining had; it's one of the few things I've read that has really stuck with me.

The idea of a consciously evil building is just scary as poo poo. Come on in, stay for awhile...

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

You should do this. It's such a good film.

The problem with the Pacino stuff you're talking about is that in the past he's had so many iconic scenes where he does his scenery chomping bit and it doesn't come across as ACTING because the film has built to this moment and it fits the character and situation. And then you have stuff like like Scent of the Woman where someone's obviously said "you know that scene in Dog Day Afternoon [and you can insert several alternatives here], we want you to be someone who is like that all the time for no apparent reason".

The fact that he got the acadamy award for Scent of a Woman the same year he was nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross makes me sad. And then you look at all the films he was nominated for and didn't win and I remember why I don't give a gently caress about the Oscars.

I just want to add my general dislike of Pacino as well; mostly because whenever I try to bring up the fact that he's not good people look at me like I'm crazy. Yes, he's AMAZING in Godfather 1 and 2 and Dog Day Afternoon but that's it! While that may be enough to make a career it isn't enough to make you a legend. In fact everything he's done since then should have made him a joke in Hollywood but somehow he escaped that. The handwriting was already on the wall when he made Serpico for what he would turn into. Scarface is massively overrated and his acting awful. But the thing that should have KILLED any good will he had developed is his shameful performance in Godfather III. That movie is terrible despite Pacino but then for him to take the character that made him famous and forget what made Michael so drat badass/awesome/evil is criminal.

I'm undecided what I think of Scent of a Woman. On some levels I really want to try and like it, but I'm so jaded on Pacino that it's hard for me to get by him. On the other hand I don't think his "rage" thing hurts that movie as much as it hurts other movies.

It's sad to me when you see these "legendary" actors but when you stop and think about it their primes were short and a loooonnngg time ago.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SpitztheGreat posted:

I just want to add my general dislike of Pacino as well; mostly because whenever I try to bring up the fact that he's not good people look at me like I'm crazy. Yes, he's AMAZING in Godfather 1 and 2 and Dog Day Afternoon but that's it!

:stare:

Serpico
Scarface
Glengarry Glen Ross (might actually be his best role, his performance in the opening bar scene is astonishing)
Insomnia
Donnie Brasco
The Insider

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

regulargonzalez posted:

:stare:

Serpico
Scarface
Glengarry Glen Ross (might actually be his best role, his performance in the opening bar scene is astonishing)
Insomnia
Donnie Brasco
The Insider

Chinese Coffee
Angels in America
The Panic in Needle Park
Cruising

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vulpes posted:

It was a much better movie than I was expecting. Not great, but not bad.

I remember the feeling after the escape fakeout reveal was really gut-wrenching.

I'm the opposite, I thought that and tiny Samuel L. Jackson in the fridge going "I WARNED YOU ABOUT THE STAIRS 1408 BRO" were two low points in an otherwise serviceable, enjoyable psychological horror movie.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

penismightier posted:

Chinese Coffee
Angels in America
The Panic in Needle Park
Cruising

Uh oh, he joins the list of actors who weren't great in every role. Population: every actor ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have no idea why he disowned Cruising because he played that part (no pun intended) to the hilt.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

regulargonzalez posted:

Uh oh, he joins the list of actors who weren't great in every role. Population: every actor ever.

No you jackass, those are all movies he's great in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also anyone who remembers Raul Julia from Street Fighter, The Addams Family and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank should watch Panic in Needle Park because he owns in that.

Pacino is also great in his production of Merchant of Venice.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

penismightier posted:

No you jackass, those are all movies he's great in.

Only one of those I've seen was Cruising and ... eh. So I extrapolated from that to the rest. My mistake! :downs:

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also anyone who remembers Raul Julia from Street Fighter, The Addams Family and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank should watch Panic in Needle Park because he owns in that.

You take The Addams Family off that list :colbert:

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

penismightier posted:

Chinese Coffee
Angels in America
The Panic in Needle Park
Cruising

I also count Heat (some have given good reasons for disliking his performance, but it was pitch-perfect for the character he was playing) and The Devil's Advocate (he's a drat good Prince of Darkness).

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
You assholes are forgetting Devil's Advocate

-Pacino
-Charlize Theron (+ titty)

But really. I like this movie.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

Robokomodo posted:

Oh?

widunder
May 2, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

Only one of those I've seen was Cruising and ... eh. So I extrapolated from that to the rest. My mistake! :downs:
But Cruising is like his third best movie ever :unsmith:

Pacino has been playing a caricature himself since Scent of a Woman (although I liked him as Jack Kevorkian, even if the movie was sort of dull), but he has made some fantastic loving movies. I can't even come up with a top billed actor with such a non-lovely career span. I think Simone was his first *bad* film, and that was in 2002 (although I haven't seen Author! Author!, Revolution and Bobby Deerfield.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Are you really saying The Addams Family is bad? Because The Addams Family and Values are both amazing, wonderful movies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you really saying The Addams Family is bad? Because The Addams Family and Values are both amazing, wonderful movies.

Yes. Addams Family Values is, in my opinion, a truly excellent film. Really high quality in absolutely every regard (the first film is very good, but the sequel, unusually, tops it). And Raul Julia is superb!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR7a8rPlAao

VVV Yeah, but funny - clearly just in for a day to have fun and shoot one scene.

therattle fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 6, 2011

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

therattle posted:

Yes. Addams Family Values is, in my opinion, a truly excellent film. Really high quality in absolutely every regard (the first film is very good, but the sequel, unusually, tops it). And Raul Julia is superb!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR7a8rPlAao

Nathan Lane is extremely strange casting for that cop.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The line about the Buick slays me every time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love both Addams Family movies. I'm just saying those are the 4 movies people know Raul Julia from and he's been great in other stuff, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

Nathan Lane is extremely strange casting for that cop.

That's the thing- the movie is full of great comedy actors just ducking in for a little bit. Tony Shalhoub is in it for like 5 seconds as a sailor partying with Debbie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Robokomodo posted:

-Pacino
-Charlize Theron (+ titty)

But really. I like this movie.

It's on tv right now and it's loving awful. Pacino as self-parody self-parody.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

90% of the movies Pacino has made since he got his Oscar is so he can go and do stage work and help student filmmakers get little tiny shorts and features made and generally hang around the Actor's Studio and teach the next generation of actors how to, y'know, act. The man still lives, eats, and breathes his craft. I'm almost positive he wants to die in the middle of a performance, that's how dedicated he seems to be.

Of course, post-Oscar Pacino still managed to do Heat, Donnie Brasco, The Insider, Insomnia, The Merchant of Venice, Angels In America and You Don't Know Jack.

Calling Pacino overrated or a bad actor because you haven't seen nearly enough of his work over a forty year career is pretty loving stupid. It's like basing your entire view of Dustin Hoffman off of Mister Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Cameo posted:

90% of the movies Pacino has made since he got his Oscar is so he can go and do stage work and help student filmmakers get little tiny shorts and features made and generally hang around the Actor's Studio and teach the next generation of actors how to, y'know, act. The man still lives, eats, and breathes his craft. I'm almost positive he wants to die in the middle of a performance, that's how dedicated he seems to be.

Of course, post-Oscar Pacino still managed to do Heat, Donnie Brasco, The Insider, Insomnia, The Merchant of Venice, Angels In America and You Don't Know Jack.

Calling Pacino overrated or a bad actor because you haven't seen nearly enough of his work over a forty year career is pretty loving stupid. It's like basing your entire view of Dustin Hoffman off of Mister Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

Yeah I think a lot of people just don't get that a lot of Serious Actors don't care about making lovely films if it subsidises their other interests. Like Kevin Spacey with his theatre stuff.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I love both Addams Family movies. I'm just saying those are the 4 movies people know Raul Julia from and he's been great in other stuff, too.

I think The Addams Family movies are vastly underrated. There's so much love and fun and care and ACTING!!! put into it that I could watch it multiple times in a day every day for a month and not get bored of it. Raul Julia is part of the reason for that. He's so brilliant in the role, so wonderful to watch. If any other actor were Gomez Addams then the movies could very well have been worthless.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

I think The Addams Family movies are vastly underrated. There's so much love and fun and care and ACTING!!! put into it that I could watch it multiple times in a day every day for a month and not get bored of it. Raul Julia is part of the reason for that. He's so brilliant in the role, so wonderful to watch. If any other actor were Gomez Addams then the movies could very well have been worthless.

I like you.

This is becoming more general chat than questions, but yes, I agree: I think they are very underrated (especially Values). they are really excellent films on every level. So, that does lead to a question: I think that comedies are often underrated as high-quality pieces of filmmaking. (For instance, I think Zoolander is an absolutely brilliant film - costume and production design, writing, acting, filming - superb). However, they don't seem to get the respect that more serious films do. it's as if viewers look at the form of the film and judge it accordingly: a comedy, being frivolous, cannot be seriously well-executed. Any other thoughts? Why are comedies under-rated as filmic achievements?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

therattle posted:

I like you.

This is becoming more general chat than questions, but yes, I agree: I think they are very underrated (especially Values). they are really excellent films on every level. So, that does lead to a question: I think that comedies are often underrated as high-quality pieces of filmmaking. (For instance, I think Zoolander is an absolutely brilliant film - costume and production design, writing, acting, filming - superb). However, they don't seem to get the respect that more serious films do. it's as if viewers look at the form of the film and judge it accordingly: a comedy, being frivolous, cannot be seriously well-executed. Any other thoughts? Why are comedies under-rated as filmic achievements?

I, too, have wondered about this. As someone who uses IMDB as the holy bible (not sure if this makes me A Bad Person), it is notable how rarely comedies are rated 8.0+ compared to other movies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

therattle posted:

I like you.

I think the quality ratio for comedies is significantly skewed towards "bad." Every time I go to see a comedy in theaters I assume it will be bad unless it has serious credentials. The last really great comedy I saw was Black Dynamite, which was such a stellar effort that it transcends comedy and is re-categorized as Art.

Comedy also tends to sacrifice pure quality and consistency for humor's sake at times. Part of the reason Black Dynamite is so good is that it's chock full of jokes that it's impossible to see them all in one viewing, and I've had to watch it with commentary multiple times to fully comprehend the amount of references to Blaxploitation cinema included in it. More mainstream comedies would be extremely daring to make such vague references and jokes that would go over the head of 80% of viewers, so they choose instead to make a more obvious joke that's either less funny or not funny at all.

So basically what I think is that comedies pander more than any other genre, and you can't pander in art. Also, art isn't "supposed" to be funny. Some people would say that the only good comedies are the ones that make a social point or have a subversive moral.

edit: Another comedy that I think is Truly Art is Observe & Report.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

I think the quality ratio for comedies is significantly skewed towards "bad." Every time I go to see a comedy in theaters I assume it will be bad unless it has serious credentials. The last really great comedy I saw was Black Dynamite, which was such a stellar effort that it transcends comedy and is re-categorized as Art.

Comedy also tends to sacrifice pure quality and consistency for humor's sake at times. Part of the reason Black Dynamite is so good is that it's chock full of jokes that it's impossible to see them all in one viewing, and I've had to watch it with commentary multiple times to fully comprehend the amount of references to Blaxploitation cinema included in it. More mainstream comedies would be extremely daring to make such vague references and jokes that would go over the head of 80% of viewers, so they choose instead to make a more obvious joke that's either less funny or not funny at all.

So basically what I think is that comedies pander more than any other genre, and you can't pander in art. Also, art isn't "supposed" to be funny. Some people would say that the only good comedies are the ones that make a social point or have a subversive moral.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

How many films on that list are "art'. Films don't have to be considered as works of art to gain high ratings, critical acclaim, and respect. And while many comedies do pander (I agree with that point), we are talking about the ones that DON'T pander - that are really good - but don't get acknowledged as such.

Edit: let's move this to Cine D general chat - I'll repost my comment there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

I like you.

And I really need to see both Addams Family movies again, I worry sometimes if I love them so much purely from nostalgia. I also love Joan Cusack.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I think the main reason people don't value comedy as much as drama and tragedy is just historical. It has been that way since arguably Aristotle. I don't agree with it, but I don't think it will ever change.

However, I think there is one legit reason why there are less "classic" comedic films than dramatic films: comedy is often much more topical, and as such it often doesn't age as well as drama. That isn't to say that there aren't great timeless comedies - there are just less of them.

Edit: that is also why I probably overrate great classic comedies as well. Trouble in Paradise is better than any Hitchcock film. It is also better than any Kubrick film. I said it.

I just picked Hitch and Kubrick because I know they both have multiple films that would probably appear on a Sight and Sound-ish top 20

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 6, 2011

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

Underrated by who? I've never met anyone who didn't like the Addams Family movies and they were well-received by most critics at the time.

Voodoofly posted:

However, I think there is one legit reason why there are less "classic" comedic films than dramatic films: comedy is often much more topical, and as such it often doesn't age as well as drama. That isn't to say that there aren't great timeless comedies - there are just less of them.

Not topical so much as cultural. What's funny and what's not is mostly tied up in the social norms of the time, which is why comedy tends to date itself quickly whether it's riffing on current events or not.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 6, 2011

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

The Cameo posted:

It's like basing your entire view of Dustin Hoffman off of Mister Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

In which he was goddamn delightful :colbert:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

What is it with this subforum? I just rewatched Zoolander this morning and then see people are talking about it. :tinfoil: This kind of thing happens way too much around here.

Was that Zohan movie a lame rip off of Zoolander using hairstyling for modeling (as I assumed from the dvd cover and name) or was it actually something completely different?

Also, is Little Big Man Dustin Hoffman's greatest role, or what? It has been so long since I saw it, I really want to track down a copy and introduce my GF to "human beans" and why I say that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Barometer posted:

Was that Zohan movie a lame rip off of Zoolander using hairstyling for modeling (as I assumed from the dvd cover and name) or was it actually something completely different?

Not really. Did you ever see an old SNL sketch called Sabra Price is Right? Tom Hanks was the host and it was during the Mike Meyers/Adam Sandler era. Zohan is like they took that sketch and added some stuff about secret agents and isreal/Palestine to it. Robert Smigel wrote it too. He works better with puppets and cartoons I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

therattle posted:

I think that comedies are often underrated as high-quality pieces of filmmaking. ...
Any other thoughts? Why are comedies under-rated as filmic achievements?

I seem to recall from the UHF commentary (of all places) that the best judge of any comedy, for any film critic, would be to watch it backwards. Go to a theater and sit in the front row, and observe the people watching it, facing away from the screen. That way you judge the movie on how funny it is to everyone else.

Sure, the movie may lack earmarks of classic cinema, but if it makes people laugh, that should be how we judge comedies.