Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Mantle of Spell Resistance or a Manual/Tome of whatever score you could use a boost in most occur to me first and foremost.

If you've got good Use Magic Device, you could go buy a stack of level 9 scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

ZeeToo posted:

Mantle of Spell Resistance or a Manual/Tome of whatever score you could use a boost in most occur to me first and foremost.

If you've got good Use Magic Device, you could go buy a stack of level 9 scrolls.

Part of the reward was a +3 bonus to a stat of my choice via a Manual. I took Dex like a good Rogue.

The Spell Resistance Mantle is tempting, but I was considering upgrading my +4 Cloak of Resistance to a +5 to bump up my lousy Will save, and most of the things we're fighting against would probably be able to make the check easily.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm in a strange place in our Pathfinder game and I could use some advice.

We're playing a Pathfinderized version of World's Largest Dungeon with a party of four, two of which recently died and are remaking their characters, including me. Not counting my character we've got a Guide-variant Ranger specialized for archery, a Wizard/Cleric going for Mystic Theurge, and an Elemental bloodline Sorcerer. Up until now we had my recently-deceased Paladin to play tank, and my first inclination was to roll up another defense-oriented melee, but I'm starting to question whether "tank" is a valid concept for this group in a dungeon crawl.

Our experience with the dungeon so far suggests that "stand in a door while the archer and mages kill everything" may not be a situation to plan around. Thanks to random encounters, our most difficult encounters have consistently occurred in corridors which are too wide for a single character to control now that Pathfinder has made Stand Still and Trip builds awful. Without the ability to block a hallway or defend characters backed into a corner, I'm not sure what the point in a defense-oriented character even is. The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether I should put together some kind of balls-out melee DPS build that tries to kill everything before it can drop a mage.

With all that in mind, my questions are:

1. Given the dungeon setting and our party makeup, is there a use for a tank that I'm overlooking?

2. Between the core Pathfinder materials and the DM-approved Tome of Battle, is there a viable way to play lockdown like you could in 3.5E or otherwise allow one character to defend three?

3. Any suggestions for amusing Pathfinder-compatible Tome of Battle builds, either for a tank or for sheer damage output?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kestral posted:

I'm in a strange place in our Pathfinder game and I could use some advice.

We're playing a Pathfinderized version of World's Largest Dungeon with a party of four, two of which recently died and are remaking their characters, including me. Not counting my character we've got a Guide-variant Ranger specialized for archery, a Wizard/Cleric going for Mystic Theurge, and an Elemental bloodline Sorcerer. Up until now we had my recently-deceased Paladin to play tank, and my first inclination was to roll up another defense-oriented melee, but I'm starting to question whether "tank" is a valid concept for this group in a dungeon crawl.

Our experience with the dungeon so far suggests that "stand in a door while the archer and mages kill everything" may not be a situation to plan around. Thanks to random encounters, our most difficult encounters have consistently occurred in corridors which are too wide for a single character to control now that Pathfinder has made Stand Still and Trip builds awful. Without the ability to block a hallway or defend characters backed into a corner, I'm not sure what the point in a defense-oriented character even is. The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether I should put together some kind of balls-out melee DPS build that tries to kill everything before it can drop a mage.

With all that in mind, my questions are:

1. Given the dungeon setting and our party makeup, is there a use for a tank that I'm overlooking?

2. Between the core Pathfinder materials and the DM-approved Tome of Battle, is there a viable way to play lockdown like you could in 3.5E or otherwise allow one character to defend three?

3. Any suggestions for amusing Pathfinder-compatible Tome of Battle builds, either for a tank or for sheer damage output?

Spiked Chain + Thicket of Blades (Devoted Spirit Stance). 10' reach, plus all movement (including 5' steps) provokes an AoO. For bonus fun, you can actually pick up this combo through 3 feats - EWP: Spiked Chain, Martial Study, and Martial Stance (assuming you pick up Martial Stance at 10th level or higher if you aren't a maneuver-based class.)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Piell posted:

Spiked Chain + Thicket of Blades (Devoted Spirit Stance). 10' reach, plus all movement (including 5' steps) provokes an AoO. For bonus fun, you can actually pick up this combo through 3 feats - EWP: Spiked Chain, Martial Study, and Martial Stance (assuming you pick up Martial Stance at 10th level or higher if you aren't a maneuver-based class.)

Doesn't work. Spiked Chains are no longer reach weapons in Pathfinder. Believe me, that's the very first thing I went for.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My group is planning a one-shot where one of the members gets to play their previous character who left the group because they wanted to try something new, and the rest of us get to play as Vampires trying to take her down. I figured the key would be to choose a class with an emphasis on Charisma to take advantage of all the benefits being Undead provides, and it certainly looks like my Human Antipaladin Vampire is capable of kicking much rear end. Any suggestions on other classes to look at? I'm sure someone else will be going Sorcerer, but the other two players are having trouble coming up with concepts. Bard? Oracle? Am I missing anything?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Klungar posted:

My group is planning a one-shot where one of the members gets to play their previous character who left the group because they wanted to try something new, and the rest of us get to play as Vampires trying to take her down. I figured the key would be to choose a class with an emphasis on Charisma to take advantage of all the benefits being Undead provides, and it certainly looks like my Human Antipaladin Vampire is capable of kicking much rear end. Any suggestions on other classes to look at? I'm sure someone else will be going Sorcerer, but the other two players are having trouble coming up with concepts. Bard? Oracle? Am I missing anything?

Grapple Monk reskinned to a Mexican Luchador. Make that CMB work for you.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Kestral posted:

Thanks to random encounters, our most difficult encounters have consistently occurred in corridors which are too wide for a single character to control now that Pathfinder has made Stand Still and Trip builds awful.
... Are they really? I just started in Pathfinder and I'm playing a Summoner. However, the feats I'm taking for my eidolon are currently towards Stand Still. I'm also gunning to get it that... Patrol feat that extends your threat range for AoOs. Along with the obvious Combat Reflexes, I was figuring that it would make for a pretty solid damage dealer and interceptor for its Master.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Kobold posted:

... Are they really? I just started in Pathfinder and I'm playing a Summoner. However, the feats I'm taking for my eidolon are currently towards Stand Still. I'm also gunning to get it that... Patrol feat that extends your threat range for AoOs. Along with the obvious Combat Reflexes, I was figuring that it would make for a pretty solid damage dealer and interceptor for its Master.

Stand Still is awful in Pathfinder compared to its glorious 3.5E version. Combat Patrol would be good if it didn't require a full-round action to establish, and it's also wholly incompatible with Stand Still. The Pathfinder version of Stand Still only works on characters moving through adjacent squares, not threatened squares. If it doesn't walk right up next to you, you can't make it stop no matter how large Combat Patrol or any other effect makes your threatened area. Combine that with the fact that SS is now a simple combat maneuver check instead of being based on damage and it becomes hard to justify taking the feat.

Your eidolon with an enormous threatened area will still be able to give your enemies a bloody nose on the way in, but they're still going to reach you.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

My GM just told me I can make Sneak Attacks with a Wand. This is the happiest day in my Rogue's life. :woop:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
SR is also dangerous, if you drop and need to be healed, your healer has to get through the SR in order to help you out.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

You could probably tank fairly effectively with a Druid with a large size companion. When wildshaped to a large animal, you and your companion can fill up a 20 ft corridor. If both of you have stand still you can control a 40 ft. corridor. If you use a big cat companion and take dire tiger form then you also have the ability to pounce anything within 80 ft if you want to go on offense. You can focus on your Str and Con and just leave your Wis high enough to get access to your highest level spells. The druid has a lot of good spells that don't rely on a saving throw (Buffs, Summon Nature's Ally, some battlefield control like sleet storm).

teddust fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 5, 2011

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Kestral posted:

Your eidolon with an enormous threatened area will still be able to give your enemies a bloody nose on the way in, but they're still going to reach you.
Good to know. I'll look over the feats again and see if I can't pick some better ones for him.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

My GM just told me I can make Sneak Attacks with a Wand. This is the happiest day in my Rogue's life. :woop:
If the target is flat-footed against you, sure, you can add sneak dice to wands like Scorching Ray. It's sort of the whole idea for an Arcane Trickster.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Kvantum posted:

If the target is flat-footed against you, sure, you can add sneak dice to wands like Scorching Ray. It's sort of the whole idea for an Arcane Trickster.

I thought you could only add the Sneak Attack dice to Touch-based wand attacks? I was going to use some Wands of Shocking Grasp at CL5, but Scorching Ray looks fun to play with. I've never played a caster, are there other useful spells I could make Sneak Attacks with?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I think the general rule is, if you need to make an attack roll with a spell that deals hitpoint damage, then you get to add sneak attack to it.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Does that change the type of Sneak Attack damage to the spell damage type, i.e. making a Sneak Attack with a Shocking Grasp turning the SA damage into electric?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Sneak attack deals "precision" damage. It's it's own type.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there guidelines for converting 3.5 content to pathfinder? Like if I want to run an Eberron game with pathfinder, what would be good advice for converting Artificers, Kalashtar, Warforged, Changelings, and Dragonmarks without screwing up the math or giving useless options.

And yes I realize I can google this, I just wanted to ask people who I could rely on to not be insane and not get touchy about edition politics.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 16, 2011

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
Free PDF on the Paizo site. Yes, it is a single google away.

For Artificers, just nix their craft pool and anything that relates to XP costs. They don't need any help and wealth by level has been changed. They break it anyways. Give em d8 HDs because BAB and HDs have been tied to a standard; have mid BAB, you got d8s.

For the races, the standard is a +2 overall statgain. If you feel that you should preserve the normal statistical drawback of Warforged and Shifters, just nix one of their -2s. Psionics works fine in Pathfinder, just give the empty levels of psionic classes fluff if you use em. Unless I'm mistaken there have been either some 3rd party psionic supplements but be wary; Pathfinder has some pretty lovely 3rd party sources. I mean Tome of Secrets.

Dragonmarks should just work as printed.

Gnomebitten fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 16, 2011

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Gnomebitten posted:

Free PDF on the Paizo site. Yes, it is a single google away.

For Artificers, just nix their craft pool and anything that relates to XP costs. They don't need any help and wealth by level has been changed. They break it anyways. Give em d8 HDs because BAB and HDs have been tied to a standard; have mid BAB, you got d8s.

For the races, the standard is a +2 overall statgain. If you feel that you should preserve the normal statistical drawback of Warforged and Shifters, just nix one of their -2s. Psionics works fine in Pathfinder, just give the empty levels of psionic classes fluff if you use em. Unless I'm mistaken there have been either some 3rd party psionic supplements but be wary; Pathfinder has some pretty lovely 3rd party sources. I mean Tome of Secrets.

Dragonmarks should just work as printed.

The de facto Pathfinder Psionics book is the 3rd party Psionics Unleashed from Dreamscarred Press. It does all of the work of updating the 3.5 psionics rules. If you liked 3.5 psionics, you'll probably be really happy with the book. The only real complaints I've heard about it are from people who never liked 3.5 psi to begin with.

And yes, there certainly are crappy 3rd party books, but most of them are a lot, lot better than Tome of Secrets.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Its kind of funny how they go out of their way to not say the name of the game it is a conversion from. They use all sorts of euphamisms like "the World's oldest RPG" and "The 3.5 game."

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm not sure they're allowed to say it due to trademark restrictions, either from the OGL or from WotC/Hasbro.

EDIT: Yeah, it's "Product Identity", so per the OGL they can't use it without a separate agreement with WotC.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 16, 2011

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

Kvantum posted:

The de facto Pathfinder Psionics book is the 3rd party Psionics Unleashed from Dreamscarred Press. It does all of the work of updating the 3.5 psionics rules. If you liked 3.5 psionics, you'll probably be really happy with the book. The only real complaints I've heard about it are from people who never liked 3.5 psi to begin with.

And yes, there certainly are crappy 3rd party books, but most of them are a lot, lot better than Tome of Secrets.

Yeah, that's the one. Fellow from my MapTool group is running a soulknife from that and hey, he's not completely useless.

And yes. ToS was a horrible book and there's a lot better. Curiously the alchemical items and Swashbuckler from that book are actually things I use. I'm just overly wary of 3rd party support in general; not as good at beta testing.

Not the Paizo is the best beta tester. I was in the forums protesting how bad the Gunslinger was and they will do nothing. And I like cowboys :(

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I usually avoid 3rd party stuff because there is a good chance the developers are not on the same page philosophically.

quote:

I'm not sure they're allowed to say it due to trademark restrictions, either from the OGL or from WotC/Hasbro.

I know. I just thought it was amusing how much they had to write around the trademark, that and I am a bit of an anarchist when it comes to the idea of intellectual property laws. Who is anybody to tell me I can't say I am playing with Legos, Googling a company's webpage with Bing, blowing my nose with store brand kleenex, or photoshoping a picture. Don't I have a right to free speech?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the owners of Dungeons and Dragons have described it as "a game that really belongs to the fans."

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
When is ultimate magic coming out exactly?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

metachronos posted:

When is ultimate magic coming out exactly?

Next month, assuming it gets back from the Chinese printers and through customs on time. Their books literally take the slow boat from China to get to us.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
If anyone is interested, I'm selling the full run of the Savage Tide adventure path that ran in the final issues if Dungeon and Dragon. I think there are full Pathfinder conversions of it floating around somewhere.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I played in Savage Tide and it was an awesome, if brutal game

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As someone who is considering running Pathfinder, how easy is it to keep the cheese contained. I would rather not have to go through character sheets with a fine toothed comb and selectively disallow things. I recognize caster supremacy is an artifact of the system, I'm just talking about builds that completely break the game, like that kobold that can become a godling at level 2 or things that let you, (per RAW) convince everyone you are the moon because you have a +30 at Bluff or Diplomacy as a low level character.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Fire posted:

As someone who is considering running Pathfinder, how easy is it to keep the cheese contained. I would rather not have to go through character sheets with a fine toothed comb and selectively disallow things. I recognize caster supremacy is an artifact of the system, I'm just talking about builds that completely break the game, like that kobold that can become a godling at level 2 or things that let you, (per RAW) convince everyone you are the moon because you have a +30 at Bluff or Diplomacy as a low level character.

Well for Bluffs like that specifically, "Impossible" lies have a -20 mod and you are well within your rights as a GM to determine a lie to be so obviously impossible that it incurs greater penalties or even fails outright. Past that, it's really a question of what kind of players you have and what they want to do. I'm aware of a few builds that can sort of cheese their way through the entire game, most of which take advantage of at least one corner case in the rules.

Honestly I think if you just discuss with your players what their plan is for their characters you should be able to steer them away from anything too cheesy. And obviously anyone in the first 5 levels with a 30+ skill mod is something to look at really carefully.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

grah posted:

Well for Bluffs like that specifically, "Impossible" lies have a -20 mod and you are well within your rights as a GM to determine a lie to be so obviously impossible that it incurs greater penalties or even fails outright. Past that, it's really a question of what kind of players you have and what they want to do. I'm aware of a few builds that can sort of cheese their way through the entire game, most of which take advantage of at least one corner case in the rules.

Honestly I think if you just discuss with your players what their plan is for their characters you should be able to steer them away from anything too cheesy. And obviously anyone in the first 5 levels with a 30+ skill mod is something to look at really carefully.

It's easy enough by level 7, though admittedly they toned the spell down so it only matches an impossible lie (and since you're a Charisma-primary bard with full ranks and the ability to get items, you're already ahead of the curve).

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

LightWarden posted:

It's easy enough by level 7, though admittedly they toned the spell down so it only matches an impossible lie (and since you're a Charisma-primary bard with full ranks and the ability to get items, you're already ahead of the curve).

yeah, weird or abusive use of magic is where most of the real issues are going to come from. See also, using planar ally spells to try to drum up cost free wishes.

edit: I know the point of the spell is to make impossible lies plausible and that that isn't abuse, but there are impossible lies, and there are ridiculous, stupid, or pointlessly disruptive lies. Trying to convince people 2 + 2 = 5, or that your halfling is really 25 feet tall, are stupid things and should fail on their face, spell or not.

grah fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 3, 2011

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

grah posted:

edit: I know the point of the spell is to make impossible lies plausible and that that isn't abuse, but there are impossible lies, and there are ridiculous, stupid, or pointlessly disruptive lies. Trying to convince people 2 + 2 = 5, or that your halfling is really 25 feet tall, are stupid things and should fail on their face, spell or not.

Someone's never read 1984.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
I think that's a little unreasonable. If magic can convince someone that it would be fun to take a bath in a vat of acid it should be able to convince them of some pretty damned ridiculous things.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I don't see how a spell that merely makes you more believable (and isn't actually some form of suggestion) would allow you to bluff something as direct as "you really want to take a bath in a pool of acid."
"I am the moon" would only make sense if there's a moon deity and maybe you're her disguised as someone. "I am literally the moon, ignore evidence that suggests otherwise" isn't really an option.
Something more appropriate would be "I'm a member of the King's secret spy network, no I don't have to show you any papers, let me through if you know what's good for you." In normal circumstances that would require a pretty drat good roll, something that glibness would get you more easily.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
I was talking about Suggestion, actually. In 2nd edition at least the example given for a "reasonable" suggestion was "Convincing the dragon that a pool of acid was actually clear water and that a dip would be refreshing." Glibness isn't direct mind-control, but +20 is hugeass bonus, and when you combine that with someone who already has superhuman persuasive abilities...

Yeah I'm willing to believe you can convince people of some pretty funky poo poo.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Fire posted:

I played in Savage Tide and it was an awesome, if brutal game

Yeah, I'm not a grognard cock DM but we still had three player deaths, and our campaign only made it to the midway point of the AP.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Generally stuff like Glibness isn't a big deal, you can, like Donraj mentioned, use other mind control magic to far greater effect, and this one requires skill investment to boot. It only convinces the victim that something is true, it doesn't change their reaction or personality and a bit of creative thinking can get your NPCs to worm around a particularly aggravating lie anyway.

Plus if your lies are anything like real ones, they don't normally stick around that long. Mostly I'd say just watch out for things like Planar Binding abuse to outright break the game, Divination stuff(remember if they ask questions about the future they can't answer you can always make up an interesting future event that they just doomed themselves into) and keep an eye out for party capabilities.

If necessary, you can just ban all prepared casters with 9th level spell lists. That greatly simplifies your work(easier to predict and prepare for what a sorceror does than a wizard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Argali posted:

Yeah, I'm not a grognard cock DM but we still had three player deaths, and our campaign only made it to the midway point of the AP.

Aw, you missed the fun of the high level opponents. Level and ability drain everywhere. And Malcanthet atop a throne of writhing limbs in a throne room that is a continuous orgy.