Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Silvergun1000 posted:

Also, what should I be buying early on? Equipment seems to give a marginal benefit for what I'd need to spend on it, and I'm not really sure what else there is.

At your level a cheerful goldfish and a horsehead amulet were helpful to me. Buying a sulky bat or lucky weasel will have interesting consequences and not cost too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Silvergun1000 posted:

Ok that's good to know, thanks! Should I be stockpiling stuff like rostygold I get for doing things, or is that purely to sell?

Also, what should I be buying early on? Equipment seems to give a marginal benefit for what I'd need to spend on it, and I'm not really sure what else there is.

I would stockpile everything if I were you. Whispered Secrets are the prime currency for buying most real estate, for instance, and very often specific storylets will require a certain quantity of a certain item to progress in it (Jade fragments for a particular plant's growth, wine for certain Ambitions, Rostygold for the Opportunity which increases your Running Battle and so on). After you play a bit longer, you'll then have a better idea of what you need and what you don't, as well as much more of everything: at that point you may then feel free to buy and sell as required.

As catfrog mentioned, a Cheerful Goldfish will do wonders. I'm not so fond of Horsehead Amulets since the weapon slot I can usually fill with something better - like the gift that your mysterious benefactor would have given you - but if you're pursuing the Dangerous path as well it may be good.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Don't bother buying anything unless you need tonics, or really want to wear some fake clothing. Everything I'm currently equipping I just got through cards and/or stat grinding. After you hit 20 points or so the rewards for the stats get better.

Only twice have I bothered to actually purchase anything, and they were stuff like '400 rats to afford this lodging house'. Although I am currently sitting on about 15 echoes just by selling most of the Fourth City Relics I ended up with.

e: Oh yeah, I bought the bat and the weasel for certain opportunity cards. They're like 80p.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 31, 2011

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
I am the proud owner of a possible-cat box. Is anyone else still looking for one?

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
I just started playing and I have been presented with the option to pursue an ambition called Light Fingers. It's the first one I've seen and I am not interested in it. I have been leveling up my qualities trying to make a different one show up but to no avail.

My question: What is the scale of investment for any given ambition? Is this first one that I come across like, a newbie ambition that I can finish in a few days and then move on to a different ambition? Or will I be stuck with this for the rest of the game?

I ask because this one doesn't sound very interesting to me, but I don't really see any other way to move forward

also, i'm in as niko_myshkin

GirlBones fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 1, 2011

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

GirlBones posted:

I just started playing and I have been presented with the option to pursue an ambition called Light Fingers. It's the first one I've seen and I am not interested in it. I have been leveling up my qualities trying to make a different one show up but to no avail.

My question: What is the scale of investment for any given ambition? Is this first one that I come across like, a newbie ambition that I can finish in a few days and then move on to a different ambition? Or will I be stuck with this for the rest of the game?

I ask because this one doesn't sound very interesting to me, but I don't really see any other way to move forward

also, i'm in as niko_myshkin

Ambitions last for the entirety of the gametime, so pick carefully as they can only be changed with Fate once chosen. They're also a hefty investment resource-wise so keep a store of items once you start.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
how many ambitions are there? is there a way i can see them all before i chose one?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

GirlBones posted:

how many ambitions are there? is there a way i can see them all before i chose one?

There's four, they'll usually appear once the skills needed are around Level 10 I think.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I read somewhere there were two "secret" ambitions. Anyone know anything about that?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Anyone here willing to help reduce my Scandal? The guy who usually does it for me is in a State of Some Confusion and can't be reached. And I keep failing at that stupid church-attending option which is raising my Scandal. :saddowns: gently caress you, priest.

If you help lay rumours about me to rest, it'll increase your Scandal just a little but raise some other stat, forget which, Persuasive maybe. Plus I'll owe you a favour, the most valuable currency of all!

e: As I write this, it occurs to me that a lot of people are posting in here saying "I signed up to Twitter just for this game" or "I usually hate browser games but..." and so forth. So I'm guessing that not many of us have Echo Bazaar contacts outside this thread. It might be a good idea to make a sort of list of Fallen Londoner goons, and the Menaces they are willing to help reduce. For example, I tend to get a lot of Scandal and Suspicion so I can't really help there, but I'm totally up for lowering people's Nightmares (#cyberasylum) if they're getting too high. And I promise to nurse Wounds without poisoning anyone.

I have way too much loving time on my hands at the moment as I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere living out of bags and a laptop, so if you guys just wanna post your info, I'll put the list together.

fnord2323
Apr 3, 2010
Long time SA reader, first time poster, and this is the only thread that's enticed me to de-lurk. I'm a huge fan of EB, and yes, I signed up to twitter just for this game. I'm happy to offer my services for reduction of menace (fnord2323 on twitter), I've got plenty of turns left a day because I've run through most of the storylines except the new ones.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to the game by one of the writers, and it's one of the few games that makes you feel and believe the world it's set in. I'd love to see it used in a film or TV series. It started small but had a solid coherent feel to it, and the new storylines just keep adding layers and expanding without losing that feel. I could (and have) go on about this game for ages to people.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Once more I've hit that point where Sudden Insights are necessary to progress my ambition. Anyone up for a game of chess? Hit me up at @citamoixa.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I let my scandal get too high and the penalty actually wasn't too bad. I may have lucked out but it was some fun stuff to read and only cost me a handful of actions to get through.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

fnord2323 posted:

I was lucky enough to be introduced to the game by one of the writers, and it's one of the few games that makes you feel and believe the world it's set in. I'd love to see it used in a film or TV series. It started small but had a solid coherent feel to it, and the new storylines just keep adding layers and expanding without losing that feel. I could (and have) go on about this game for ages to people.

What a great introduction! This game is ruining me for other games at the moment - the dark whimsical snideness, the plot twists, the writing are unparalleled IMO.

Have you seen the tumblr http://deepdarkmarvellous.tumblr.com/ ? It's curated by another player ( little lady d, I think) and sometimes captures the flavor quite well.

Corridor, did you know that using a boxed cat can reduce your scandal?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Corridor posted:

e: As I write this, it occurs to me that a lot of people are posting in here saying "I signed up to Twitter just for this game" or "I usually hate browser games but..." and so forth. So I'm guessing that not many of us have Echo Bazaar contacts outside this thread. It might be a good idea to make a sort of list of Fallen Londoner goons, and the Menaces they are willing to help reduce. For example, I tend to get a lot of Scandal and Suspicion so I can't really help there, but I'm totally up for lowering people's Nightmares (#cyberasylum) if they're getting too high. And I promise to nurse Wounds without poisoning anyone.

I have way too much loving time on my hands at the moment as I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere living out of bags and a laptop, so if you guys just wanna post your info, I'll put the list together.

Aria_Dabbler - I'm full of Nightmares and Scandal I'm willing to trade away, and always up for a game of chess.

I also have a box that is full of possible cat I'm willing to pass to someone.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

catfrog posted:

Corridor, did you know that using a boxed cat can reduce your scandal?

Yeah, but at the moment for me it's still at Almost Impossible level. :( It taunts me every time the catbox shows up.

God loving dammit, the mirror house. I just used the dream mirror, even though it pretty much says "Only an idiot would use this, you idiot" and it sent me straight to A State Of Some Confusion. Lost aaaaall my Recurring Dreams. I'd been working so hard keeping my Nightmares down too. This is like my fourth trip to this place :argh:

e: oh hey thanks for reducing my Scandal #sometaffer.

e2: gently caress this Keen Eyed Lapidary bitch. After ages of failing at her card, I finally got high enough to retrieve her stupid pearls. Her reward for me - sweet nada. The follow-up card for the storyline involves her asking me for a giantass bag of glim, which I stupidly handed over even knowing I'd probably get gently caress all for it. The result - "Your Assisting The Keen-Eyed Lapidary quality is rising" (bar fills a tiny bit). Apparently I'm going to have to redo this card several times over just to fill that stupid bar and advance the story. That first bag cleaned me right out already.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 4, 2011

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Thank you, thread! I have a starveling cat now.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've been hunting for some specific opportunity cards for quite a while, but I never seem to get them. Does the area you're in determine what cards you get, or is it random?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yes, I'd love any cats people want to send my way. I'm also always down to help reduce scandal or nightmares or whatever (assuming I'm not in jail or a State of Some Confusion myself). Sravingmad on twitter.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Man, some of these higher level events require ridiculous amounts of Honey. 1400 to continue my ambition, 5000 to get the correspondence stones back...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elswyyr posted:

I've been hunting for some specific opportunity cards for quite a while, but I never seem to get them. Does the area you're in determine what cards you get, or is it random?

Mostly it's random. There are a few cards that will only appear if you're in a specific location, though - I've seen a couple of them and I suspect there are more.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Tricky posted:

Man, some of these higher level events require ridiculous amounts of Honey. 1400 to continue my ambition, 5000 to get the correspondence stones back...

How did you happen to lose them may I ask?

If it makes you feel better I am saving up 80,000 whispered secrets for a spot at the bazaar. Currently I have 5,102. Augh.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Is it better to spread your stats out evenly or just go with 1-2 of them exclusively?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So far all my stats are pretty low so if people need help with nightmares or scandals, I don't care, send it my way.

I'll accept pretty much anything: chess, fistfights, scandals, etc. Makes no difference to me at all.

If I don't respond however, that pretty much means I was kicked out of town or went to the loony bin for awhile. In which case I'll accept when I get back.

Twitter is : Red_mundus

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Corridor posted:

Yeah, but at the moment for me it's still at Almost Impossible level. :( It taunts me every time the catbox shows up.

God loving dammit, the mirror house. I just used the dream mirror, even though it pretty much says "Only an idiot would use this, you idiot" and it sent me straight to A State Of Some Confusion. Lost aaaaall my Recurring Dreams. I'd been working so hard keeping my Nightmares down too. This is like my fourth trip to this place :argh:

It does have a use in some of the ambitions, if you don't want to waste time getting nightmares that high.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Just subscribed again for another month, I figure if they keep making new content with great writing it is worth :10bux:. Also sent a catbox to CrashLaunching.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I just came back to this myself, had a lot of fate saved up and spent it on premium. The writing in this was spot on last I played and it's great to see that it's stayed just as excellent.

You can find me #TrevorGood

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okie dokie amigos, I got sufficiently bored enough to make a list of all the goons who posted their twitters in this thread, in the order they were posted. Let me know if your twitter account was actually for facebook (I couldn't find any FBs but hey) or if I got your name wrong or whatever.

I also noticed that a few people who post regularly here neglected to actually post their EBZ account names, so if that was an oversight just post it here and I'll add you to the list. Same goes for anyone I just missed by accident.

I was gonna add notes for who is up for whatever activities, but uh, everyone seems to be up for pretty much anything from anybody, so V:shobon:V

SA Username - Twitter Username

Not So Fast - SofiaAust
A student - Somerandompaul
xdistak - goonar
Wachepti - Wachepti
Hiryu Protagonist - HiryuProtagonis
Brock Samsonite - HerrGomez
ninety - THE_REAL_GOKU
onefish - CrashLaunching
Sir Ophiuchus - AsclepiusUnbnd
Tricky - citamoixa
StarkRavingMad - Sravingmad
Grilox - Kuroyanagiryou
Dinho Eledair - Dinho_Eledair
Cantaloupe - Firestomp
thanthos - Hypnic_jerk
Rueish- Rueish
Gravy Train Robber - Gabriel_Syme
Wutasumi - RTFMSmith
Cheap Trick - Antonio_Mocker
El_Molestadore - Crypticant
rev.justin - madjnunofirem
Dallan Invictus - DallanInvictus
Alaemon - Kumeatel
Quasipox - quasipox
catfrog - La_Poodle
Colton - chadlicious
John Pastor - derekkatz
Dr. Arbitrary - HeiroSchop
Corridor - cyberasylum
Hotwire - ErasmusJacobs
Mr. Spooky - DJCrashOverride
The Normandy - cosettemoreau
Yuran M. Bazil - Dan9410
Dthulu - Dthulu
Whitenoise Poster - WhitenoiseTwitt
Red Mundus - Red_Mundus
Elswyyr - elswyyr
oldskool - shigogouhou
Akunin - EitherOrlok
Ripley - Fitzquaid
TJO - LionelCrumb
Dammit Who? - BatsYouOrdered
hemophilia - laserspewpew
hoju22 - hoju22
Blisster - VirusBazaar
Sneaksie Taffer - sometaffer
Silvergun1000 - Silvergun1000
Pogonodon - chevalierdind
GirlBones - niko_myshkin
fnord2323 - fnord2323
Eschers Basement - Aria_Dabbler
Goodchild - TrevorGood

Oh yeah, and here's a snippet of info that I entirely missed on my first read through this thread, which I think is worth pointing out again:

Sir Ophiuchus posted:

Interacting with the NPCs on Twitter is always fun, but usually doesn't give you anything special. Every so often Mr_Wines gives out bottles of new wines via Twitter.

You should follow anyone that Mr_Names follows, though. They're the game's official NPCs, and are roleplayed really well.

And it's possible to bargain with Mr_Eaten on Twitter. But don't do that. That would be insane.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'd like to jump on the Starvelling Cat bandwagon, so if anyone would like to send me some catboxes, I'd be much obliged!

EDIT: Opportunity cards are really annoying me. I'm looking for some specific golden ones, but the more I level my Qualities the larger the pool of cards get. I wish I could just say no to all the Watchful 10 cards so I wouldn't have to discard everything.

Elswyyr fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 6, 2011

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Thanks for posting that list. I'd be happy to help most anyone, but I'm not sure how to tell what I should and shouldn't be doing or what I'm particularly good for. I'm a Watchful and Dangerous gentleman if that helps.

Also I could use a cat box too. Someone sent me one already but it was actually a giant spider that wounded me.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

How is your ambition coming along? Focus on that, I'm assuming you're doing The Vake if you're watchful and dangerous. It's really creepy/fun and has a great reward at the end of it.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Wait, some of the ambitions have ends yet? I thought they were all unfinished.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Okay, I've gotten two boxes of supposed cats so far. I freed the first one because I didn't think anything of it, and I got injured for being nice (though I did get some contact levelup). What exactly does passing a box onto someone else do? I'll send it to the first person who gives me a response I think is legitimate.

Signed up for Echo Bazaar as TastyLemonDrops, by the way.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 6, 2011

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Okay, I've gotten two boxes of supposed cats so far. I freed the first one because I didn't think anything of it, and I got injured for being nice (though I did get some contact levelup). What exactly does passing a box onto someone else do? I'll send it to the first person gives me a response I think is legitimate.

Signed up for Echo Bazaar as TastyLemonDrops, by the way.

They can unwrap the final layer of the box, and they could either get hurt or get something very valuable.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Okie dokie amigos, I got sufficiently bored enough to make a list of all the goons who posted their twitters in this thread, in the order they were posted. Let me know if your twitter account was actually for facebook (I couldn't find any FBs but hey) or if I got your name wrong or whatever.

I also noticed that a few people who post regularly here neglected to actually post their EBZ account names, so if that was an oversight just post it here and I'll add you to the list. Same goes for anyone I just missed by accident.

I was gonna add notes for who is up for whatever activities, but uh, everyone seems to be up for pretty much anything from anybody, so V:shobon:V

SA Username - Twitter Username

Not So Fast - SofiaAust
A student - Somerandompaul
xdistak - goonar
Wachepti - Wachepti
Hiryu Protagonist - HiryuProtagonis
Brock Samsonite - HerrGomez
ninety - THE_REAL_GOKU
onefish - CrashLaunching
Sir Ophiuchus - AsclepiusUnbnd
Tricky - citamoixa
StarkRavingMad - Sravingmad
Grilox - Kuroyanagiryou
Dinho Eledair - Dinho_Eledair
Cantaloupe - Firestomp
thanthos - Hypnic_jerk
Rueish- Rueish
Gravy Train Robber - Gabriel_Syme
Wutasumi - RTFMSmith
Cheap Trick - Antonio_Mocker
El_Molestadore - Crypticant
rev.justin - madjnunofirem
Dallan Invictus - DallanInvictus
Alaemon - Kumeatel
Quasipox - quasipox
catfrog - La_Poodle
Colton - chadlicious
John Pastor - derekkatz
Dr. Arbitrary - HeiroSchop
Corridor - cyberasylum
Hotwire - ErasmusJacobs
Mr. Spooky - DJCrashOverride
The Normandy - cosettemoreau
Yuran M. Bazil - Dan9410
Dthulu - Dthulu
Whitenoise Poster - WhitenoiseTwitt
Red Mundus - Red_Mundus
Elswyyr - elswyyr
oldskool - shigogouhou
Akunin - EitherOrlok
Ripley - Fitzquaid
TJO - LionelCrumb
Dammit Who? - BatsYouOrdered
hemophilia - laserspewpew
hoju22 - hoju22
Blisster - VirusBazaar
Sneaksie Taffer - sometaffer
Silvergun1000 - Silvergun1000
Pogonodon - chevalierdind
GirlBones - niko_myshkin
fnord2323 - fnord2323
Eschers Basement - Aria_Dabbler
Goodchild - TrevorGood

Oh yeah, and here's a snippet of info that I entirely missed on my first read through this thread, which I think is worth pointing out again:

I've added to this to the OP (although I've updated mine to use my more active account).

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Elswyyr posted:

Wait, some of the ambitions have ends yet? I thought they were all unfinished.

No, it doesn't end, but it does have a reward at the end of the finished content.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

I've added to this to the OP (although I've updated mine to use my more active account).

i'm helping :downs:

I've been checking out all the NPCs on Twitter. It's pretty cute how they talk to each other. Most of the Masters are quite verbose and snide, but Mr Irons puts everything in brackets for some reason [seems like a whisper kind of] and Mr Stones seems a bit deranged and only uses monosyllables. Sinning Jenny uses every tweet to her as an opportunity to invite the player to her boudoir. Overgoat is my favourite.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Right, so I've been playing this off and on for a month now. Made the mistake of using my actual twitter account so I won't post it here just yet, but if you see a Hiram Thugsworth about, that'd be me. Up for Chess or Nightmares or whatever.

Anyone still interested in helping with First City coins? I'm at that fun part of the ambition.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Destrado posted:

Anyone still interested in helping with First City coins? I'm at that fun part of the ambition.

Sure, I'll help. I'm La_poodle on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

catfrog posted:

How did you happen to lose them may I ask?

If it makes you feel better I am saving up 80,000 whispered secrets for a spot at the bazaar. Currently I have 5,102. Augh.

Either gave them to Virginia or sent them to the colonies, I forget. Either way, it was dumb. I feel ya on the bazaar thing, I'm saving up for the Royal Bethlehem myself right now.

Edit: The ~100 Watchful content in the University (creating the Department of the Correspondence) is pretty much the best.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 11, 2011