Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
So it turns out my Complete Metropolis bluray disc isn't region free :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

metallicaeg posted:

Do you mean the paper with the UPC barcode that's attached with easy to remove adhesive because it's obviously not part of the final product?

hahaha yep, That would be the one.

Dudebro posted:

Now we wait for that pic of a collection organized by genre/director/alphabet and whatever the hell else.

Scorsese.
Tarantino.
Jena Malone.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Scorsese.
Tarantino.
Jena Malone.

Ah, the Spergy Decimal System.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Wait I don't understand this shrink wrap thing. Do some people really buy blu-rays and dvd's and keep them in the shrink wrap? What?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Crackerman posted:

Wait I don't understand this shrink wrap thing. Do some people really buy blu-rays and dvd's and keep them in the shrink wrap? What?

I can't answer for Blu/DVD, but there's a whole sub-culture of :spergin: who will purchase shinkwrapped video games and never open them.

And the quality/gloss of the shrinkwrap is of the utmost importance to them... I know this because I sold a game that I thought was new and sealed on eBay and one of these sperglords attempted to get eBay/PayPal to yank the money that he'd paid for it away from me because the shinkwrap wasn't up to his standards.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I got the Tron Legacy 5-disc blu-ray set yesterday (the one that also has Tron on blu-ray) and its sort of hideous. The back is just crammed with :words:, and the front is...well...

I wish I had a good printer and could make something a lot more minimalist. And to prove I'm not sperging I already gave the DVD and digital copy to my mom/sister and threw away the stupid slipcover.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sirotan posted:

I got the Tron Legacy 5-disc blu-ray set yesterday (the one that also has Tron on blu-ray) and its sort of hideous. The back is just crammed with :words:, and the front is...well...

I wish I had a good printer and could make something a lot more minimalist. And to prove I'm not sperging I already gave the DVD and digital copy to my mom/sister and threw away the stupid slipcover.

You forgot to mention that the cover is a holographic decal that only shifts to the left/right slightly.

My copy of Fringe S1 has a much better cover, as it turns from paranormal objects, to the face of the main characters.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ineffiable posted:

You forgot to mention that the cover is a holographic decal that only shifts to the left/right slightly.

My copy of Fringe S1 has a much better cover, as it turns from paranormal objects, to the face of the main characters.

See I hate those lenticular covers or whatever you call them and basically threw it away the minute I got it out of the envelope. At least give me an image that is different from whats inside of it, because otherwise what's the point?

dogflaps
Apr 17, 2008
When do you think we'll start getting some more info on the Star Wars Blu Rays? Been quiet for months. I want some previews! Reckon they'll be any more changes? I actually hope there is. If Lucas is going to insist on keeping the 'modernised' versions, the least he can do is make them look better. The CGI in the original trilogy really draws attention to itself,he should go back and make it more subtle. I'm looking at you, Sy Snootles... Also, make the loving lightsabers have some colour consistency. They seem to change from blue to green and red to pink from every scene.

Part of me secretly thinks he'll make Han shoot first again, after seeing him wearing the Han Shot First t-shirt.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Fairly sure Taxi Driver is region free but can a goon confirm this?
I'm going to California soon and I'm gonna pick it up.

Blu-ray is region free

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Island Nation posted:

Blu-ray is region free

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Great, thanks!
:woop:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dogflaps posted:

When do you think we'll start getting some more info on the Star Wars Blu Rays? Been quiet for months. I want some previews! Reckon they'll be any more changes? I actually hope there is. If Lucas is going to insist on keeping the 'modernised' versions, the least he can do is make them look better. The CGI in the original trilogy really draws attention to itself,he should go back and make it more subtle. I'm looking at you, Sy Snootles... Also, make the loving lightsabers have some colour consistency. They seem to change from blue to green and red to pink from every scene.

Part of me secretly thinks he'll make Han shoot first again, after seeing him wearing the Han Shot First t-shirt.

We'll know more once he's done trying to out-lovely William Friedkin for worst transfer humanly possible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

We'll know more once he's done trying to out-lovely William Friedkin for worst transfer humanly possible.

Gotta do something with all those unsold VHS tapes.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Lady goon spotted...

I'd much, much rather they'd brought Hook to Blu.

I'd argue that the 2003 Peter Pan is nearly as good as Hook, and is immensely underrated.

Oh, and I am a male goon.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

sportsgenius86 posted:

hahaha yep, That would be the one.

Scorsese.
Tarantino.
Jena Malone.
It looks like more of them are still sealed than opened

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

metallicaeg posted:

It looks like more of them are still sealed than opened

Actually, some, like that Jess Franco boxset, look like they've been opened but the shrinkwrap is left on them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh no. I want to be even more mad at UPS but Amazon mailed my Taxi Driver in a bubble envelope so it was completely misshapen. :(

GonSmithe posted:

Can someone post the packaging for Taxi Driver? I didn't get it yet (I'm getting my paycheck next week, don't shoot me!), but I'd really like to see it.

(I understand the complaints about the paper thing. As you can see, the paper unfolds and is attached to front. After that, it folds open and the pictures go in the pouch on the right)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Sporadic posted:

(I understand the complaints about the paper thing. As you can see, the paper unfolds and is attached to front. After that, it folds open and the pictures go in the pouch on the right)
What's to understand? It should be removed and is not intended to stay attached.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

metallicaeg posted:

What's to understand? It should be removed and is not intended to stay attached.

No, it is suppose to stay attached. It is glued to the front of the cover and top protects the inside of the case.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Protection from what? Zee Germans?

Ganon
May 24, 2003
No, you rip that poo poo off. Looks much better.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

metallicaeg posted:

Protection from what? Zee Germans?

I was thinking dust from getting inside the gatefold (same as a slipcover over a gatefold).

Ganon posted:

No, you rip that poo poo off. Looks much better.

But it's glued securely to the front cover. How do you get it off without ripping part of the front off with it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fiddler-on-the-Roof-Blu-ray/12238/#Review

Fiddler on the Roof is flawless and...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Greatest-Story-Ever-Told-Blu-ray/20494/#Review

The Greatest Story Ever Told is The Greatest Waste of 1080p Ever Pressed.

For what it's worth, Fiddler was shot in regular 35mm Panavision with Oswald Morris' usual "smoky" look, yet looks like it was shot only recently. The other film was shot in 65mm Ultra Panavision, which should look spectacular on-screen.

At least the better movie got the right treatment from MGM... I've never been able to sit through all of Story. I'll always take the Ray/Bronston King of Kings any day and its Blu is flawless.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Sporadic posted:

But it's glued securely to the front cover. How do you get it off without ripping part of the front off with it?
It's not really glue, it's just an adhesive that easily removes without damaging the finish underneath.

e: haha yes the booger glue

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 7, 2011

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Sporadic posted:

I was thinking dust from getting inside the gatefold (same as a slipcover over a gatefold).

You sure it's not glued with those little sticky booger dot things? Bunch of other movies I've bought have had the same slip of paper on the front and you just pull the paper off and the little dots roll right off the case without damaging it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The preorder for Abbado Conducts Mahler Symphonies 1-7 popped up on Amazon for $88.99, which may not sound that great until you find out that they are normally $30+ a piece. Looks like for this set, they decided to put two symphonies per disc (which shouldn't hurt the quality as long as they put them on duel layer discs instead of single layer like the original releases)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004P96WJ0

I had Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 2 Resurrection on HD-DVD and it was really impressive if you are into classical music.

metallicaeg posted:

It's not really glue, it's just an adhesive that easily removes without damaging the finish underneath.

e: haha yes the booger glue

Oh very cool. Glad to hear that you are right (since it looks like poo poo on mine)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 7, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fiddler-on-the-Roof-Blu-ray/12238/#Review

Fiddler on the Roof is flawless and...

Oh, wow, I'd totally forgotten this was coming out. This is astounding.

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Greatest-Story-Ever-Told-Blu-ray/20494/#Review

The Greatest Story Ever Told is The Greatest Waste of 1080p Ever Pressed.

:stare:

How is this even possible?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

"Greatest" was apparently sourced from a 1080p transfer created for the DVD and HD broadcast in mind... back in 2000.

In other news, the Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman cartoons on Warner's upcoming Superman box set are all going to be 480p only. Really stupid considering all of them originated from 1080p masters using the Ultra Resolution process.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Pull that flap off of Taxi Driver and throw it in the trash or I'll loving kill you and burn your goddamn house down.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Pull that flap off of Taxi Driver and throw it in the trash or I'll loving kill you and burn your goddamn house down.

I threw mine in the recycling. :smug:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's funny, I'm spergy about my DVD cases but in the opposite way, I want it minimalist. I chuck the shrinkwrap, I do save slipcovers when they have different art than the jacket, but I hate them. And on the inside, every piece of paper gets thrown away except for the ones with relevant information on them like a chapter list insert or a digital copy code. And I resent those being in there at all, I'd prefer they just go away. Then, I go to the trouble of peeling off the anti-theft strip and the RFID tag if it has one. And I get irritated about there being any adhesive left on the inside of the case, but not so much that I'll use a chemical on it, I just grumble and then leave it.

It's a little ritual I do when I bring home new movies. If it's several movies, I'll have a sizeable stack of trash on my coffee table when I'm done. Very satisfying.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I just cut off the top part and tucked the list of extras into the flap with the other stuff. Is this acceptable or am I still subject to arson?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Does the EU version of Easy Rider have the same extras as the US?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I just cut off the top part and tucked the list of extras into the flap with the other stuff. Is this acceptable or am I still subject to arson?

This is the worst of both camps. You keep the superfluous packaging and you also destroy it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This is the worst of both camps. You keep the superfluous packaging and you also destroy it.

Yes, this piece of useful information should absolutely be thrown away in tact.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I couldn't care less what people do with the packaging on their blu-rays.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

zenintrude posted:

And the quality/gloss of the shrinkwrap is of the utmost importance to them... I know this because I sold a game that I thought was new and sealed on eBay and one of these sperglords attempted to get eBay/PayPal to yank the money that he'd paid for it away from me because the shinkwrap wasn't up to his standards.

Holy crap. They should make a lenticular animated "Deal With It" postcard for just such occasions.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

YOU'VE RUINED ITS VALUE!

YOU MAY AS WELL JUST NOT OWN THE MOVIE!

:spergin: :derp:

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Do people think there's going to be some kind of collectibles market for blurays in the future? Because if you're not just buying them to watch them then hahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Do people think there's going to be some kind of collectibles market for blurays in the future? Because if you're not just buying them to watch them then hahahahahaha

Only for stuff that quickly goes OOP or has a limited release. I don't see much of a collectible market in VHS or even DVDs, unless it was stuff that had a print run in under 5k digits or something.

• Locked thread