Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Can someone suggest an offline email program that has a good search? Like many I have been using gmail for years and really really hate it's weak search capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fishmech posted:

It's not that we couldn't do it at all. It's that we couldn't do it reliably, in large quantities. It's simply a hard thing to do, and it takes time to get good at it.

Previously it is possible, and still possibly to attain higher clock frequencies in different substrate materials such as GaAs. On silicon the major problem is that the clock signal leaks, reflects, and becomes useless at higher frequencies. It is necessary to reduce the widths of the clock rails and transistor sizes in order to have a usable high frequency signal. So as the rails and transistors became smaller higher frequencies became stable.

There have been many other significant developments for clocks, see the Wikipedia article on Atomic clock for example. Others include decoupling the clock as the time it takes the signal to propagate across the chip is actually too slow.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

CatchrNdRy posted:

...and really really hate it's weak search capability.

Elaborate. What are you trying to do, specifically, that you're having trouble with?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Okay, this is a really dumb question. For my 20th century lit class, one little thing we had to do for the next class was to find what two obscure allusions were in a quote (it's from The Sun Also Rises and like ten seconds of googling turns up that it refers to Portrait of a Lady and The Jew of Malta).

Before online search engines, how would somebody find what something like that alludes to? Would you have to just find a book analyzing The Sun Also Rises and hope they address that?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CatchrNdRy posted:

Can someone suggest an offline email program that has a good search? Like many I have been using gmail for years and really really hate it's weak search capability.

By "offline email program" I assume you want a non web-based client to handle your Gmail with? Well here you go:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Read this to get things going:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=180189

Yes, it has an amazing search feature. It really blows my mind how people use Gmail in webmail only. Web clients are handy when you're away from your main computer(s), but they're stiff as hell.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Power of Pecota posted:

Okay, this is a really dumb question. For my 20th century lit class, one little thing we had to do for the next class was to find what two obscure allusions were in a quote (it's from The Sun Also Rises and like ten seconds of googling turns up that it refers to Portrait of a Lady and The Jew of Malta).

Before online search engines, how would somebody find what something like that alludes to? Would you have to just find a book analyzing The Sun Also Rises and hope they address that?

You probably wouldn't have got such a specific question from a teacher; at least not as a homework assignment. There's little literary value in saddling people with tedious library research after all. However, both works in question are/were popular and well-known, so there would be a good chance a reasonably well-read student would have recognised the references.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Power of Pecota posted:

You could go to a library (!) and look at an edition that was annotated or had pages half-filled with footnotes breaking down every sentence or pour through these giant rear end books that were dictionaries of allusions/symbolism/etc. If you think typing the right Google Search term is hard, try finding with the one, exact phrase a literary historian 50 years ago thought was appropriate in densely-packed pages of 6 pt. font.

I have a couple of these because they're great to flip through; turn to "Knot" read a paragraph on the Gordian knot, on the origin of "stomach in knots", on the importance of knots to sailors.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 6, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's why those catalog card drawers are a mixture of author, title, subject, and a couple of other things, all combined in alphabetical order.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Aphasian posted:

You could go to a library (!) and look at an edition that was annotated or had pages half-filled with footnotes breaking down every sentence or pour through these giant rear end books that were dictionaries of allusions/symbolism/etc. If you think typing the right Google Search term is hard, try finding with the one, exact phrase a literary historian 50 years ago thought was appropriate in densely-packed pages of 6 pt. font.

I have a couple of these because they're great to flip through; turn to "Knot" read a paragraph on the Gordian knot, on the origin of "stomach in knots", on the importance of knots to sailors.

Thanks, an annotated edition makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Just to clarify I wouldn't say that googling the right term is hard at all, like I said it took about ten seconds to get both, I just realized that I had no idea what to do if I couldn't use the internet to find it. Also, I had no idea dictionaries of symbolism existed, those sound absurd.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Mak0rz posted:

By "offline email program" I assume you want a non web-based client to handle your Gmail with? Well here you go:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Read this to get things going:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=180189

Yes, it has an amazing search feature. It really blows my mind how people use Gmail in webmail only. Web clients are handy when you're away from your main computer(s), but they're stiff as hell.

thanks I'll try that out. I suppose it was naive of me to assume that Google would be able to handle searchs within its own mail system.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Can anyone recommend any good Project Management books/resources? I work specifically in IT, but they can be general PM as well. I'm looking for a book that doesn't read like a text book and focuses on theory rather than a listing of terms/methodologies, etc. I'm primarily trying to get some insight on management styles.

chucky.z
Mar 28, 2011
Would I be banned for asking for help with a homework assignment? I need 50 responses to a random survey for a Statistics project. I'm thinking maybe if I did some kind of a drawing it would go better? (I make vinyl stickers as a hobby, I could give one away of whatever someone wanted to one of the respondees).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Power of Pecota posted:

Thanks, an annotated edition makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Just to clarify I wouldn't say that googling the right term is hard at all, like I said it took about ten seconds to get both, I just realized that I had no idea what to do if I couldn't use the internet to find it. Also, I had no idea dictionaries of symbolism existed, those sound absurd.

Googling isn't an issue when it comes to exact quotes for popular works, but if you're trying to find something more obscure, especially when the allusion is layered or cloaked in metaphor (especially mixed metaphor) it can get pretty fiddly.

Imagine if you had to do a critical analysis of a peer's paper and they had made a witty--but also incredibly dense--allusion to both Noah's Ark in the great flood and the Falklands War via Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

chucky.z posted:

Would I be banned for asking for help with a homework assignment? I need 50 responses to a random survey for a Statistics project. I'm thinking maybe if I did some kind of a drawing it would go better? (I make vinyl stickers as a hobby, I could give one away of whatever someone wanted to one of the respondees).

You would need to get mod permission.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Is there anywhere online to buy legitimate, non-diverted cologne without paying what Macy's etc is asking?

capability
Oct 24, 2004
I would like to buy the current issue of Bookforum, but no store in Nashville sells them. I don't want to get a subscription because I am moving to another country in a month. Is there a way to buy an individual magazine online?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
where's the Gift Giving megathread that was around here during the christmas season? Got the gf's grad coming up and i need advice on what to give

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

swagger like us posted:

where's the Gift Giving megathread that was around here during the christmas season? Got the gf's grad coming up and i need advice on what to give

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364621

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Thats in archives. Is there a current one or should I just make a seperate A/T thread?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

My computer is having problems when it boots up.

I turn on the computer, it gets to the gigabyte flash screen (where you tab to bios etc) goes to black like its about to load windows and then just cycles through again.

The weird thing is that I always fix this by hitting the restart button and it boots normally. Every now and again after half a dozen cycles it does boot normally by itself.

Is this a software or a hardware problem?

Im using windows 7.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 7, 2011

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Fists Up posted:

My computer is having problems when it boots up.

etc...

You'll probably have better luck asking over at Haus of Tech Support.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

swagger like us posted:

Thats in archives. Is there a current one or should I just make a seperate A/T thread?

Just ask here. We have megathreads around holidays but a single thread for your question is probably not really necessary.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

chucky.z posted:

Just as a heads-up, the last time someone asked for homework help in GBS, goons literally paid 72,000 dollars to have him permabanned.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

chucky.z posted:

2nd-ed on needing to get mod permission. Though I have seen some threads where people were allowed to make threads to get survey responses for a school project, so it's not completely unheard of.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

chucky.z posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been okay in SAP before, but you should ask the mods there. It's more appropriate to that forum than this one.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been okay in SAP before, but you should ask the mods there. It's more appropriate to that forum than this one.

What's SAP? It doesn't seem to be an acronym for any subforum :confused:

e: nevermind, I'm blind (Science, Academics and Philosophy)

V: I don't think surveys are a favorite type of thread around here. Occasionally yeah, but you wouldn't want 3 or 4 or more survey threads at a time in GBS or Q&A, so I think they're frowned upon unless they have some genuine merit.

Chucky, tell us a bit more about the survey.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 7, 2011

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Is the assignment to survey random strangers? That's different from having a goon do his homework for him. I don't even think asking for goons to be random strangers for this would even need mod permission if he finds the appropriate forum....

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he is asking.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Can anyone recommend any good Project Management books/resources? I work specifically in IT, but they can be general PM as well. I'm looking for a book that doesn't read like a text book and focuses on theory rather than a listing of terms/methodologies, etc. I'm primarily trying to get some insight on management styles.

I used this book in grad school, it was pretty useful

http://www.amazon.com/Project-Management-Approach-Scheduling-Controlling/dp/0471225770

as well as this
http://www.amazon.com/System-Engineering-Management-Benjamin-Blanchard/dp/0471190861

Its more engineering than IT, but overall its fairly general.

edit: email me at my username at gmail

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 7, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
How "specialized" are individual officers on a police force?

I work in an office building along a busy road where the cops just love to pull people over; we average probably 4 speeding tickets in the two blocks visible from my window per day. Just yesterday, we had a hysteric (crazy?) person burst into our building terrified that a black man was chasing her over a dispute regarding bus fare. Police officers showed up within a minute or two to try to calm her down/figure out what was going on, but these cops were dressed very differently, and clearly different people than the 4 or so "traffic cops" that I see on a daily basis.

Are there different jobs that an office might hold, like just handling traffic violations, or just dealing with domestic disturbances, or do all officers "share" all of the different types of jobs?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gravity Pike posted:

Are there different jobs that an office might hold, like just handling traffic violations, or just dealing with domestic disturbances, or do all officers "share" all of the different types of jobs?

Depends on the department. As a general rule larger departments are more specialized, and smaller ones tend to be more general. If you live in a relatively large metro area it is very likely that your PD has a traffic division that spends the majority of its time enforcing traffic laws and that would not normally respond to a run of the mill non-violent weirdo call. They would of course respond to serious crimes or calls for assistance.

It's also possible that since you noted the officers who showed up were dressed differently that they were from a different agency entirely. Your office is likely served by overlapping agencies. For example you may routinely see your State Troopers enforcing traffic outside, while your local police/sheriff responded to the call.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Every state/city is probably different but you have a varying level of uniforms where I live.

You have the standard professional/traditional outfit for people just walking the beat/showing their presence.

You have a more practical outfit for people who expect to be doing a bit more activity.

You have highway patrol who wear normal uniforms but are specifically targetting traffic/speeding

You have riot and affray squad who look buff but are not so prominent unless they are expecting some poo poo to go down.

You have undercover cops who wear plain clothese

You have bike cops who ride bicycles and generally wear shorts and short shirts.

Detectives wear suits/plain clothes.

Theres a big range.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
So back in the day when royal blood and "breeding" meant something, what was the justification for it? If you trace a royal family back to its roots then you eventually reach ordinary people, so what was the process for them to become royal blood? And how did the common folk accept this premise?

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Dudebro posted:

So back in the day when royal blood and "breeding" meant something, what was the justification for it? If you trace a royal family back to its roots then you eventually reach ordinary people, so what was the process for them to become royal blood? And how did the common folk accept this premise?

My understanding (As a history major with a specialty in Renaissance Europe) is that Kings (and to a lesser extent all nobility) where chosen by God and just because Grandpa was not nobility but by the grace of God grandson is through marriage or actions does not lessen the nobility of the person, maybe it would lessen a Duke that can not track lineage 12 generations back, but not a King whose father overthrough the last King.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

In the classical era many nobles claimed divine ancestry. Others claimed ancestry to great heroes, mythological or real. In a more rational age, the lineage of royal people stretched back so far nobody would be able to say with any certainty that they came from ordinary people. Or in any case, no one would be able to prove common ancestry.

It's not like this thinking has gone away. People still believe all kinds of unlikely things are inherited (sense of humor, career choice, love of jazz), why not God's divine sanction to rule over the people?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
So they just claimed it, and if they had any form of power or money, they could hold that claim?

Like the first pharaoh of Egypt, what did he do and how did he become pharaoh? Seems like these things started out in tribes and whoever won the most battles or wars could lay claim to whatever the hell they wanted.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
In OpenOffice Calc, how do I take a bunch of numbers and convince Calc to treat them as text? I know that a) I could have set the column format to "text" in the first place, or b) I can go through and put an apostrophe in front of every number I want to make into text. Neither of this things really helps me when I have 300+ numbers that I need to be text for sorting reasons.

To clarify, I don't want to replace " 1 " with " one " but rather with " '1 " so that when I sort, e.g. 12a will come next to 12, instead of way down at the bottom. Is there a way to make find & replace do this for me? :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dudebro posted:

So they just claimed it, and if they had any form of power or money, they could hold that claim?

Like the first pharaoh of Egypt, what did he do and how did he become pharaoh? Seems like these things started out in tribes and whoever won the most battles or wars could lay claim to whatever the hell they wanted.

This is a very complicated question, and you are correct in that it goes back to the dawn of man as a cooperative group more or less. In most cases it was a combination of strength, success and religion. No one just walked up on their own and said "Sup d00ds, the gods said I am awesome so you will follow me now!" It took complacence with different people within the community who also held positions of power.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
When you sign a lease at an apartment, what exactly do the "application fees" and "administrative fees" go toward? I guess if there's a credit/background check, I assume those aren't free, but am I correct to assume it's mostly bullshit moneygrabbing?

e: vvvv $300 for 2 people?

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 7, 2011

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

drat Bananas posted:

When you sign a lease at an apartment, what exactly do the "application fees" and "administrative fees" go toward? I guess if there's a credit/background check, I assume those aren't free, but am I correct to assume it's mostly bullshit moneygrabbing?

Background check, credit check, and employment verification. Those aren't free to do. Assuming the fees they charge are reasonable, I wouldn't call it moneygrabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

In OpenOffice Calc, how do I take a bunch of numbers and convince Calc to treat them as text? I know that a) I could have set the column format to "text" in the first place, or b) I can go through and put an apostrophe in front of every number I want to make into text. Neither of this things really helps me when I have 300+ numbers that I need to be text for sorting reasons.

To clarify, I don't want to replace " 1 " with " one " but rather with " '1 " so that when I sort, e.g. 12a will come next to 12, instead of way down at the bottom. Is there a way to make find & replace do this for me? :(

Enable regular expressions in "more options". Search for .+ and replace it with '&