Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Shiba; Big Dog in a Small Body

The smallest of all native breeds in Japan, the Shiba is the only Nihon Ken to not be named after the region from which it was said to originate, because unlike its cousins, the Shiba comes from three large areas all around central Japan. Because of its size and lack of living space in large cities, the Shiba is the most popular native breed in Japan and accounts for about 80% of dogs that is registered with NIPPO every year. Abroad, the Akita is still more widely known and established, but recently the Shiba has been gaining steam outside the Land of the Rising Sun.

The name Shiba has a few theories as to what it could mean (as mentioned before, all other Japanese dogs are named for the region.) One is that the kanji used ¬for the word Shiba is an old reading for the word “small”, meaning that the words Shiba Inu would literally mean “Small Dog.” Two other very popular musings are that Shiba is a word for a type of brushwood, and the word could have lent itself to the dog either because of the foliage’s red color in the region, or the fact that the dog was originally a hunting dog used to flush small game out of said brush.

Shibas have been said to have been around since the Jomon period (about 40000 – 300 BCE) as has been evidenced by modern day Shiba-sized canine bones buried with people from the same period. There is a strain of the Shiba called the Jomon Shiba today, which will be detailed later on.

At the end of the Tokugawa period in 1868, Japan opened up to the rest of the world, which introduced new and interesting Western breeds to the country and led to cross breeding, like the Akita. This, coupled with the hardships and incentives during the war, the Shiba experienced a similar history to their bigger cousins. Like the Akita, the Shiba was declared a Living Natural Monument in 1936 in efforts to try and preserve the breed. Shibas came from three areas of Japan resulting in three different strains; The San’in, the Mino and the Shinshu, which have since been combined into one standard, the decision to do so coming into play after the hardships of war and later Distemper outbreak of 1959.

”Julia Cadwell from Shosha Shiba Kennels” posted:

The San'in in Shiba derived from the Sekishu and Imba breeds, and was prevalent in Shimane and Tottori prefectures. It was larger than the Shiba standard of today, by some 40 - 50 cm, which would fall into today's medium-sized dog class. Its color was a mottled black, without the white cheeks favored in today's black-and-tan. The well-defined stop of today's Shiba was characteristic of the San'in Shiba. As was Shiba feistiness and independence -- San'ins were known for their lack of affection.

The second ancient breed is the Mino Shiba, which was smaller (36.5 - 39.5 cm) and fiery red in color. These dogs were prevalent in Gifu prefecture. It had the fine deep-brown triangular eyes and fleshy triangular erect ears of today's Shiba. It was also characterized by the Sashi-o (extended tail) as opposed to the curled tail of the other Shibas.

The third ancient breed is the Shinshu Shiba, prevalent in Nagano prefecture and derived from the Kimawa Shiba. These were also smaller and mostly red dogs with thick bristle hair in the outer coat and dense soft undercoat. The best example of this strain is former Champion Matsumaro, but the two weaknesses of this line are a tendency toward round eyes rather than the preferred triangular inset eyes, and a black mask that lingers into adulthood rather than disappearing by the age of 1 - 2 years.

The Shibas of today are said to be mainly a mix of the San’in and Mino strain. Mino shown on the left, San’in seen on the right.

Notice the lack of Urajiro (or white markings) on the Mino Shiba, and the mottled darker fur and sickle tail of the San’in Shiba (though usually seen on the Mino. The Mino on the left is from a strain today.) All three strains brought great things to the table to form one larger, unilateral standard, though examples of the individual variations do still exist today.

Appearance

The standard Shiba comes in four correct colors; Red, Sesame, Black and Tan and *Cream.

*Cream is actually a fault and not accepted in shows. It comes about from a diluted gene from the Black and Tan color and should not be actively bred for, though it can happen to good, ethical breeders and their litters. Creamies should always be sold as pet quality dogs and not be allowed to breed (though there have been rumors of good breeders using creamies to dilute a red line that may be too strong.)

Red is the most common of the colors, while Black and Tans are usually next, then Sesame. Black and Tans are difficult to get the markings just so, but even more so would be the Sesame. Breeders and judges both have a difficult time getting or establishing the coat pattern of the Sesame just right and are not often seen in the ring because not many know what exactly they're looking for in the standard. Furthermore, since puppy coats start out dark then lighten with age, it is difficult to judge whether a Sesame puppy will keep their black-tipped hairs, or if they will turn red.

Other colors not accepted and should NOT happen are pinto, brindle and red headed black and tan (sometimes referred to as tri-colored, generally with more of a German Shepherd-like pattern.)

Unlike the Akita, Shibas have a shared standard throughout the world, many dogs being registered and doing well in both AKC and NIPPO shows. Three types of curl are actually allowed in the Shiba; The double curl, the single curl, and the sickle. (Koji has a sickle tail, Yuki-san has a single curl, and Jiro has a double curl)

”AKC” posted:

General Appearance
The Shiba is the smallest of the Japanese native breeds of dog and was originally developed for hunting by sight and scent in the dense undergrowth of Japan's mountainous areas. Alert and agile with keen senses, he is also an excellent watchdog and companion. His frame is compact with well-developed muscles. Males and females are distinctly different in appearance: males are masculine without coarseness, females are feminine without weakness of structure.

Size, Proportion, Substance
Males 14 1/2 inches to16 1/2 inches at withers. Females 13 1/2 inches to 15 1/2 inches. The preferred size is the middle of the range for each sex. Average weight at preferred size is approximately 23 pounds for males, 17 pounds for females. Males have a height to length ration of 10 to 11, females slightly longer. Bone is moderate. Disqualification--Males over 16 1/2 inches in dogs and under 14 1/2 inches. Females over 15 1/2 inches and under 13 1/2 inches.

Head
Expression is good natured with a strong and confident gaze. Eyes are somewhat triangular in shape, deep set, and upward slanting toward the outside base of the ear. Iris is dark brown. Eye rims are black. Ears are triangular in shape, firmly pricked and small, but in proportion to head and body size. Ears are set well apart and tilt directly forward with the slant of the back of the ear following the arch of the neck. Skull size is moderate and in proportion to the body. Forehead is broad and flat with a slight furrow. Stop is moderate. Muzzle is firm, full, and round with a stronger lower jaw projecting from full cheeks. The bridge of the muzzle is straight. Muzzle tapers slightly from stop to nose tip. Muzzle length is 40% of the total head length from occiput to nose tip. It is preferred that whiskers remain intact. Lips are tight and black. Nose is black. Bite is scissors, with a full complement of strong, substantial, evenly aligned teeth.

Serious Fault: Five or more missing teeth is a very serious fault and must be penalized.

Disqualification--Overshot or undershot bite.

Neck, Topline and Body
Neck is thick, sturdy, and of moderate length. Topline is straight and level to the base of the tail. Body is dry and well muscled without the appearance of sluggishness or coarseness. Forechest is well developed. Chest depth measured from the withers to the lowest point of the sternum is one-half or slightly less than the total height from withers to ground. Ribs are moderately sprung. Abdomen is firm and well tucked-up. Back is firm. Loins are strong. Tail is thick and powerful and is carried over the back in a sickle or curled position. A loose single curl or sickle tail pointing vigorously toward the neck and nearly parallel to the back is preferred. A double curl or sickle tail pointing upward is acceptable. In length the tail reaches nearly to the hock joint when extended. Tail is set high.

Forequarters
Shoulder blade and upper arm are moderately angulated and approximately equal in length. Elbows are set close to the body and turn neither in nor out. Forelegs and feet are moderately spaced, straight, and parallel. Pasterns are slightly inclined. Removal of front dewclaws is optional. Feet are catlike with well-arched toes fitting tightly together . Pads are thick.

Hindquarters
The angulation of the hindquarters is moderate and in balance with the angulation of the forequarters. Hind legs are strong with a wide natural stance. The hock joint is strong, turning neither in nor out. Upper thighs are long and the second thighs short but well developed. No dewclaws. Feet as in forequarters.

Coat
Double coated with the outer coat being stiff and straight and the undercoat soft and thick. Fur is short and even on face, ears, and legs. Guard hairs stand off the body are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length at the withers. Tail hair is slightly longer and stands open in a brush. It is preferred that the Shiba be presented in a natural state. Trimming of the coat must be severely penalized. Serious Fault--Long or woolly coat.

Color
Coat color is as specified herein, with the three allowed colors given equal consideration. All colors are clear and intense. The undercoat is cream, buff or gray.

Urajiro (cream to white ventral color) is required in the following areas on all coat colors: on the sides of the muzzle, on the cheeks, inside the ears, on the underjaw and upper throat inside of legs, on the abdomen, around the vent and the ventral side of the tail. On reds: commonly on the throat, forechest, and chest. On blacks and sesames: commonly as a triangular mark on both sides of the forechest. White spots above the eyes permitted on all colors but not required.

Bright orange-red with urajiro lending a foxlike appearance to dogs of this color. Clear red preferred but a very slight dash of black tipping is permitted on the back and tail.

Black with tan points and urajiro. Black hairs have a brownish cast, not blue. The undercoat is buff or gray. The borderline between black and tan areas is clearly defined. Tan points are located as follows: two oval spots over the eyes: on the sides of the muzzle between the black bridge of the muzzle and the white cheeks; on the outside of the forelegs from the carpus, or a little above, downward to the toes; on the outside of the hind legs down the front of the stifle broadening from hock joint to toes, but not completely eliminating black from rear of pasterns. Black penciling on toes permitted. Tan hairs may also be found on the inside of the ear and on the underside of the tail.

Sesame (black-tipped hairs on a rich red background) with urajiro. Tipping is light and even on the body and head with no concentration of black in any area. Sesame areas appear at least one-half red. Sesame may end in a widow's peak on the forehead, leaving the bridge and sides of the muzzle red. Eye spots and lower legs are also red.

Clearly delineated white markings are permitted but not required on the tip of the tail and in the form of socks on the forelegs to the elbow joint, hind legs to the knee joint. A patch of blaze is permitted on the throat, forechest, or chest in addition to urajiro.

Serious fault--Cream, white pinto, or any other color or marking not specified is a very serious fault and must be penalized.

Gait
Movement is nimble, light, and elastic. At the trot, the legs angle in towards a center line while the topline remains level and firm. forward reach and rear extension are moderate and efficient. In the show ring, the Shiba is gaited on a loose lead at a brisk trot.

Temperament
A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty. The Shiba has an independent nature and can be reserved toward strangers but is loyal and affectionate to those who earn his respect. At times aggressive toward other dogs, the Shiba is always under the control of his handler. Any aggression toward handler or judge or any overt shyness must be severely penalized.

Summary
The foregoing is a description of the ideal Shiba. Any deviation from the above standard is to be considered a fault and must be penalized. The severity of the fault is equal to the extent of the deviation. A harmonious balance of form, color, movement, and temperament is more critical than any one feature.

Disqualifications
Males over 16 1/2 and under 14 1/2 inches.
Females over 15 1/2 and under 13 1/2 inches.
Overshot or undershot bite.

Temperament

The Japanese use three words to describe ideal Shiba temperament; Kan’i should represent a confident and spirited side, Ryosei needs to balance that boldness with a good and gentle nature, and Soboku which describes a dog that is alert and constantly aware.

If Shibas could only say one word, that word would be “mine.” They have a natural sense of entitlement and compared to their larger Akita cousins, are more pushy, active, and drama queens. They think they are as big as Mastiffs but have the ability to turn on a dime and squeeze through cracks and spend every waking moment trying to outsmart you and take shortcuts. Generally a quiet breed, Shibas don’t make sounds unless it’s deemed necessary. Events that may warrant talking are visitors, play time, frustration, and temper tantrums, the latter usually ending in the Shiba Scream (good example around 4:50.) Shibas are also generally one-person dogs and can be hostile toward other dogs. Early socialization, patience, and bribes are imperative and generally the way toward combating these behaviors and building a confident dog. Many undersocialized Shibas end up skittish, unsure, dependant and often as a result, snappy.

Shibas need plenty of exercise and can get destructive when bored, but because of their small size, many Shibas make do with the space they have with the zoomies, or “Shiba 500.” Like other Spitz, Shibas have extremely high prey drives and should never be trusted off leash outside of a secure area, and have been notorious escape artists and door bolters. It is highly recommended to use either a harness or martingale-type collar for these dogs. But despite the occasional runaway renegade, Shibas are a relatively healthy breed and has an average lifespan of 10-15 years. Common ailments include luxating patellas, allergies, chronic circling and eye disorders.

Jomon Shiba

Imagine if a Bull Terrier and a Shiba had a baby, and the Jomon would essentially be their crazy, slender faced love child. It’s an attempt to bring Shibas back to the way they supposedly were back from the Jomon era, with a slender face, shallow stop, longer snout, bigger teeth and a less biddable nature. The looks are specifically bred to look even more wolf-like and the personalities of these dogs tend to tolerate change, new people and other dogs less than usual. This is purely an aesthetic off-shoot of the regular Shiba breed and can come in any of the standard Shiba colors.

Mame Shiba

No, not the adorable edamame dog and bean family that gives usless trivia. Essentially these are “Teacup Shibas” of various degrees. If any breeder advertises that they breed Mame Shibas, RUN, RUN FAR FAR AWAY. There is absolutely no need ever for Shibas, a small dog to begin with, to be bred smaller and riddled with awful health defects.

Rescue and Breed links

National Shiba Club of America

Many of these rescues network with each other and also intake dogs and adopt outside of their areas. (I also know I am most likely missing a handful of rescues, but I am listing the ones I personally know about or know and work with people in.)

:siren:Shiba Inu Rescue of Texas:siren: (It’s my rescue… :ssh:)
Saving Shibas, Inc. (Southern California)
Tri-State Shiba Inu Rescue (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia)
Midwest Shiba Inu Rescue
NYC Shiba Rescue
Northwest Shiba Rescue

US breeder suggestions available upon request. :h:

---

Oh, Koji... :allears:

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Shiba post! Yeeesssssssss! Very well written. :)

Will post Shiba pics tomorrow in honor of this great post!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

badmomrising posted:

photoshop a big Spitz coat onto him

I always thought that a lot of spitz breeds would end up looking very much like sight hounds if they were shaved down. :3: Especially wolves, honestly, they have super thin rib cages under all that hair. With so many breeds structured for running, it's no surprise. Also, sight hounds are bred in to sprint racing Alaskan huskies! :3:

And, hooray, shiba post!! :dance: Totally off to plow through that now, thanks so much Pfox, that looks like a crapload of info!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Totally want a B/T shiba now, thanks a lot pfox :argh:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

WolfensteinBag posted:

And, hooray, shiba post!! :dance: Totally off to plow through that now, thanks so much Pfox, that looks like a crapload of info!

This! There's so much there, I'm really excited. Adorable shibapix too :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Aw, thanks guys. :3: I didn't realize until after I had posted last night that it was after 1 this morning, so there could be some things I need to go in and fix (like I did with a few points...). Didn't get quite as :spergin: as I wanted, but I can always edit in more stuff if I get good questions. A lot of the Shiba history runs in parallels with the Akita history, too, and I didn't want to retype a lot of that, but it's like the Japanese are hoarding all the Shiba books to themselves, because I can't find ANY good detailed books over here. :( And everyone in the books I have and online go "yep, small dog, old, from three lines we discuss nothing about, the end!"

Also, Badmoon, I could always use Radar pictures. I've never seen a wire hair Ibz and he just looks so delightfully scruffy. :allears:

Foxy: Yes. Yes you do. :stare:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
This thread needs more Shiba pictures in honor of such a great post.

Viehfutter
Mar 31, 2008

Call me meow for your free readin'!

GET IT?

I assume this fine poster is primitive enough.

Regardless, kisses for real dogs.

That is not a motherboard at all what are you doing

This guy is just peeking up to distract pfox from writing her effort posts.

She also mentioned that this one reminded her of Koji, so all the more effective.

Source: EnglishRussia.com

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Viehfutter posted:

Holy crap, that dog looks so much like Buddy!! Only, a more scruffy, dirty version of Buddy. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

WolfensteinBag posted:

Holy crap, that dog looks so much like Buddy!! Only, a more scruffy, dirty version of Buddy. :3:

Ha! I told that to Mr. Pfox (Viehfutter) when he showed me last night. :3:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
My boyfriend has a Chow. (Actually it belongs to his sister, but he rents from her and takes care of Cole, the dawg, quite a bit) He's a really sweet boy, I know Chows aren't supposed to be very social, but he warmed up to me almost immediately and is really happy whenever I visit.

He is pretty darn stubborn, though. I'm not sure if the sister just didn't put in the effort to train him or what. (Her boyfriend gave her the dog AS A GIFT...ugh) He'll sit on command, but otherwise he just has no manners whatsoever. If we're trying to have dinner, we have to put him behind a gate in the living room or his nose will be all up in our biznass for the whole meal.

Any advice on how to deal with stubborn chows? He generally just seems to be very curious and obviously wants a lot of attention.

Also, I feel bad for him because there's really no yard at all, just a little area behind the rowhouse where he can do his business. And since he's really territorial, he barely goes on ANY walks at ALL. Poor thing.

Anyway, here's a fuzzy cell phone picture. Extra fuzzy because he is actually really, really fuzzy.

edit: a note about the walk thing. Apparently he pulls a lot and they can't use one of the gentle leads on him because he's REALLY sensitive about things touching his muzzle. I'm going to see if I can convince the boyfriend to take him for a short walk this weekend. He really needs to get out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 29, 2011

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh and here's what I get to see every time I go to my boyfriend's house. What a sweetheart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

CherryCola posted:

edit: a note about the walk thing. Apparently he pulls a lot and they can't use one of the gentle leads on him because he's REALLY sensitive about things touching his muzzle. I'm going to see if I can convince the boyfriend to take him for a short walk this weekend. He really needs to get out.

Have they tried a harness? The front-clip ones are especially good for strong pullers, apparently (they turn the dog's front around back toward you if they start to pull too far ahead). Also my dear that is the cutest little fuzzball ever wanna smush that face.

Huskies and foxes are the best kinds of bros. But I do not want a pet fox. No, I do not. :ohdear: Really, I don't.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Fraction posted:

Have they tried a harness? The front-clip ones are especially good for strong pullers, apparently (they turn the dog's front around back toward you if they start to pull too far ahead). Also my dear that is the cutest little fuzzball ever wanna smush that face.

Huskies and foxes are the best kinds of bros. But I do not want a pet fox. No, I do not. :ohdear: Really, I don't.

That's not a bad idea! I'll bring that up to the manfriend. Also, little is totally not even close. The first time I met him, I thought he was part buffalo. But his face is totally awesome for smushing. :3 His neck fur is so thick and soft. Hugging Cole is just about the best thing ever.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Wanna play with that dog. :stare:

For the training/walking things, I know a life less and others have helped with some similar situations over in the training megathread. It doesn't sound like a particularly stubborn Chow, but an unmotivated owner. I know in the training thread there have been suggestions (I think it was for Major?) to go to their mat when dealing with food, feeding good treats that occupy them on the mat etc so it just becomes second nature. And make sure the dog is NEVER fed from the table, etc, and it should help. Koji gets food treats from our plates sometimes but he always has to work for them and it's almost always given to him over at his food bowls. That isn't to say he isn't a pain around food sometimes, but he gets the hint quickly to bug off when we tell him to "go away".

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I saw two Shiba's last weekend...one 6 month old that looked basically like a stuffed toy. It was pretty cute (though to be honest I always wonder if the people who have Shiba's are crazy Japanophiles and are like "Japan is the best at everything this breed of dogs is the superior breed I'm moving to Japan as soon as I finish my Japanese courses". Maybe I'm too harsh :ohdear: )

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

paisleyfox posted:

Wanna play with that dog. :stare:

For the training/walking things, I know a life less and others have helped with some similar situations over in the training megathread. It doesn't sound like a particularly stubborn Chow, but an unmotivated owner. I know in the training thread there have been suggestions (I think it was for Major?) to go to their mat when dealing with food, feeding good treats that occupy them on the mat etc so it just becomes second nature. And make sure the dog is NEVER fed from the table, etc, and it should help. Koji gets food treats from our plates sometimes but he always has to work for them and it's almost always given to him over at his food bowls. That isn't to say he isn't a pain around food sometimes, but he gets the hint quickly to bug off when we tell him to "go away".

Oh he is definitely stubborn, too. We tell him no, and I try to get him to back onto the carpet whenever we eat. But within 20 seconds, his curiosity has gotten the best at of him and he's back at the table. He really has that primitive "I just want to do what I want to do" nature.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Viehfutter posted:

I assume this fine poster is primitive enough.

Regardless, kisses for real dogs.

That is not a motherboard at all what are you doing

This guy is just peeking up to distract pfox from writing her effort posts.

She also mentioned that this one reminded her of Koji, so all the more effective.

Source: EnglishRussia.com

Haha, that's awesome, they're like bizarro versions of my dogs:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Steve French posted:

Oh no, viscous shiba attack dog, run away!!

Husky + shiba = the cuteness.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Oh he is definitely stubborn, too. We tell him no, and I try to get him to back onto the carpet whenever we eat. But within 20 seconds, his curiosity has gotten the best at of him and he's back at the table. He really has that primitive "I just want to do what I want to do" nature.

Heh, I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't, it just didn't sound particularly out of character to me. Don't worry, I totally know what you mean. ;) A baby gate with a long lasting treat (frozen kong, bully stick, etc.) might be a good idea to start with during meal time, and when meal time is over, the treat goes away. So they know they get super awesome treat of their own only during the time you guys want to eat, but they have to be in their designated area to get it.

Levitate posted:

I saw two Shiba's last weekend...one 6 month old that looked basically like a stuffed toy. It was pretty cute (though to be honest I always wonder if the people who have Shiba's are crazy Japanophiles and are like "Japan is the best at everything this breed of dogs is the superior breed I'm moving to Japan as soon as I finish my Japanese courses". Maybe I'm too harsh :ohdear: )

Yeah...I'm not going to lie. It happens. I was actually afraid during my home check that my apartment would be too pinku and kawaii because I have the animez. In a corner with the rest of my DVDs. Months later I find out that having some sort of swag is usually par for the course (especially since while Shibas are gaining popularity, 95% of the time you get the :stare: for just saying "Shiba Inu".) Apparently there have been a few homechecks that were very :japan: like a high schooler otaku's bedroom. A lot of those people tend to spring for Corgis, too.

Steve French posted:

Coming to steal your puppy, BRT. :3:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

I, for one, do not have an obsession with Japanese culture; I got interested in shibas because I grew up with akitas and figured that getting a large dog in my mid-20s before I have a house/yard would be foolish.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Kiri koli posted:

Oh no, viscous shiba attack dog, run away!!

Husky + shiba = the cuteness.

Yeah. That is ridiculously cute.

How do they get on, day to day? Our husky is 2 years older than our bully-mix. I am guessing the weight differential will be close when the attack dog grows up. Ours get on well but the husky is a drama queen and the bully is an attention-whore so there's always something going on.

They don't play like they do with other dogs. Husky wants to run all the time; play chase. Mixer wants to Kill Toy Now. They try to play with each other and just get frustrated.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Steve French posted:

Eeeeee cutest fluffybutts EVAAARRR :swoon: omg I wanna frolic and roll in a field with those dogs.

drat guys, stop making all these awesome posts with awesome photos 'cause I want every one of these pets RITE NOAW. :colbert:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Eris and Kaidan are at a dog daycare today that has a webcam so obviously I'm watching it all day at work. There's another Husky there too that Kaidan has been following around :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

Eris and Kaidan are at a dog daycare today that has a webcam so obviously I'm watching it all day at work. There's another Husky there too that Kaidan has been following around :3:

Tease. :colbert:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I sent you links!

Earlier this morning Kaidan marked the playset in there, and then another dog came and marked over it so one of the workers came and cleaned it up. As soon as she finished Kaidan went back and marked it again :downs:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

rebounded posted:

How do they get on, day to day? Our husky is 2 years older than our bully-mix. I am guessing the weight differential will be close when the attack dog grows up. Ours get on well but the husky is a drama queen and the bully is an attention-whore so there's always something going on.

Pretty well, actually; the husky (Ike) has been surprisingly tolerant of the shiba (Juno) since we got her. Juno frequently attacks Ike, jumping up and biting his face, and he almost always responds by playing and wrestling. It seems as far as she is concerned, he is the greatest thing in the world, and she is also really friendly and playful with the 2 other huskies that my girlfriend's parents own.

One thing that I've been having trouble with (unsurprisingly) is getting her to be friendly with dogs (and people, to some extent) she doesn't know very well. We've been having her meet other dogs as much as possible, but sometimes it just doesn't go great.

Specifically, the most common thing that happens is that she'll meet a dog that's bigger than her, and seem cautious and nervous, but not unfriendly... the bigger dog will be more friendly, and approach her perhaps faster than she's comfortable with. She'll then start to retreat, which makes the bigger dog more interested, and then she'll run away (or try to, if she happens to be on leash), and the other dog chases, which I'm afraid is reinforcing the idea that the bigger dog is something to be afraid of.

Does anyone have any specific ideas (especially any particular to shiba behavior) to work on this?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Quit eyein' my sandwich, snow dog.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Sleepy Malamutebear :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Steve French posted:

Does anyone have any specific ideas (especially any particular to shiba behavior) to work on this?

Check out the dog training megathread. Shiba-specific advice aside, this issue is something that I've seen covered in there, and a life less is an awesome help, regardless of breed. :)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Behold! Skinny Nikita!

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
I figured those in this thread would appreciate this:

http://cuteoverload.com/2011/03/31/bark-softly/

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That video is amazing.

Here is Kaidan from the other day. His teeth are so bad :ohdear: I have a few more of them actually playing but I haven't had much time to actually get them onto my computer, so this shot of half his face will do for now. Apparently he did really well yesterday except he had a small tiff with another male dog (no actual fight or anything, just being too intense and in their face) so they gave him some crate time and reintroduced him slowly. In just two days at that day care his socialization is coming a long way :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

There's a Shar Pei in one of our basic obedience classes, and I kind of feel bad for the poor thing.

I'm not sure where he's from (pet store, show breeder...) but he's kind of a mess. He has some extreme wrinkles, and some pretty bad skin issues to go along with it. You can barely see his eyes they're so covered by wrinkles. His hair is really sparse on his face, and he's always scratching at it. Last class he scratched enough to knock a few scabs off and was bleeding a bit. :( I assume it's a food allergy of some sort, but I've not broached the subject with his owners.

When he takes a treat it feels like you're feeding a manatee -- no teeth to speak of, just globs of fatty jowls and drool -- it's kind of cute, but also sad. The rest of the instructors think he's great, but I keep seeing how impeded he is by his excessive characteristics and feel bad for the guy.

So long story short, I'd like to see a bit more moderation used in Shar Pei breeding. This guy is a mess.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Warbadger posted:

Behold! Skinny Nikita!

I'm sorry if you've said this before, but what breed is your dog? She's beautiful!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

a life less posted:

I'm not sure where he's from (pet store, show breeder...) but he's kind of a mess. He has some extreme wrinkles, and some pretty bad skin issues to go along with it. You can barely see his eyes they're so covered by wrinkles.

Ughh this whole post is so depressing. It makes me so sad to see most Shar Peis anymore because the wrinkles are just ridiculous. :(

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

a life less posted:

So long story short, I'd like to see a bit more moderation used in Shar Pei breeding. This guy is a mess.

:smith:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, when we were at the dog park the other day, we saw a Shar Pei that was more like the :black101: ones Wheats posted. I was so excited to see her running around with those dorky little ears and just a few wrinkles. :3: Didn't talk to the owner since Koji was on the huge rear end big dog side and going EVERYWHERE, but she looked like the happiest dog.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

wtftastic posted:

I'm sorry if you've said this before, but what breed is your dog? She's beautiful!

Not my dog, but I'm pretty sure I remember her being a shepherd/husky mix. :3:

Edit: I was close!

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 7, 2011

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

WolfensteinBag posted:

Not my dog, but I'm pretty sure I remember her being a shepherd/husky mix. :3:

Ah, my bad. Either way, what fantastic coloration and eyes. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wtftastic posted:

GSD/Malamute mix.

• Locked thread