Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Is anyone willing to give a testimonial for or against https://www.lpfoto.se? How rigorous is their rating system compared to keh? Are they trustworthy?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Pretty simple question for Google but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

Is the Canon version of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 compatible with full-frame cameras? particularly a 5D mk II?

I know that the XD Series only takes EF-mount lenses, but I have no idea if the Tamron is an EF or EF-S mount.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

tuyop posted:

Is the Canon version of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 compatible with full-frame cameras? particularly a 5D mk II?

I know that the XD Series only takes EF-mount lenses, but I have no idea if the Tamron is an EF or EF-S mount.

It's an EF mount, but it's designed for crop sensors. So it will not work properly on a 5DII.

Someone posted some pictures of the results over in the Canon thread a while back.

Edit: I may have misread your post. The Tamron can be mounted on a 5DII, even thought it won't work properly. The Canon 17-55 cannot be mounted on a full frame camera.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 4, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

tuyop posted:

Both the Canon 17-55 2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 2.8 are made for crop cameras. You cannot physically mount the Canon 17-55 on a film or xD camera without doing some jury rigging. You can mount the Tamron on a film or xD but then you'll get massive vignetting and it's really not worth using on full frame.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I bought a shiny new Oly E-650 last summer and I've been trying to figure out a way to take it backpacking/canoeing without getting it wet or covered in filth. So far I've found it spends more time in my pack than out, cowering from the elements inside a spare t-shirt. So now I'm on the hunt for a case of some kind that I can use to protect my investment in the wild wild woods that doesn't take up a lot of excess space and will be able to keep it clean and relatively dry. It also needs to be a solution that allows for me to keep it handy when backpacking.

I was thinking about a fitted case, but it sounds like they have to be entirely removed before shooting which sounds like a pain in the rear end. I was also looking at Skytop Trading, but after watching the informational video I'm concerned actually using one in practice would be... really dorky.

Any advice/suggestions?

And since it's a photo thread, here's a picture of a baby finding his penis:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

tuyop posted:

Tamron's lens naming convention is "Di" for full-frame and "Di-II" for crop sensors (or heavy vignetting on full frame).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
How much would it be to get a Tamron 15-50mm f/2.8 lens fixed if the filter ring and front lens element housing has come loose?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Didn't someone in one of the other threads (or a few pages back here) say that it's literally three screws to fix that, and quite a DIY job? I could be mistaken though.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOj-7MAO_w

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Didn't someone in one of the other threads (or a few pages back here) say that it's literally three screws to fix that, and quite a DIY job? I could be mistaken though.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOj-7MAO_w

:neckbeard:

Thank-you!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Rurutia posted:

How much would it be to get a Tamron 15-50mm f/2.8 lens fixed if the filter ring and front lens element housing has come loose?

If you can do without it for a month, you can get it fixed with warranty repair.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Obama 2012 posted:

And since it's a photo thread, here's a picture of a baby finding his penis:

Note: Do NOT name this anything descriptive. Hell, even what you have may attract people. I had a potty picture up (completely innocent) and called it "potty" and it got 45 hits in a day.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Rurutia posted:

:neckbeard:

Thank-you!

Be gentle and take your time, though. Maybe I just have sausagefingers, but I busted the poo poo out of the front ring on mine attempting that.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

torgeaux posted:

Note: Do NOT name this anything descriptive. Hell, even what you have may attract people. I had a potty picture up (completely innocent) and called it "potty" and it got 45 hits in a day.

Well I'll be sleeping quite fitfully knowing about THAT....

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

:gonk: Well I may never post pictures of my infant on the internet now. If I ever have one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tuyop posted:

:gonk: Well I may never post pictures of my infant on the internet now. If I ever have one.

I shoot lots of little kid birthday parties. I name the pictures accurately, but in no way suggesting they are pictures of kids. I have a couple of cute nude (bare butt) shots of the boy. Those are private, family only. World's a sick, sick place.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I was hoping someone might be able to give me a little direction here with regards to photo albums. My wife is trying to find a place where she can create a professional-quality wedding album. We have all of our wedding photos on a DVD from the wedding and the rights to do whatever we want with them.

Our wedding photographers have turned out to be a complete disaster. They were nice people in person, but it's been 10 months since the wedding and we're still without an album. Phone calls are never answered and messages asking for a call back are never returned. If you try to email them, you might get a response in 3-4 weeks. What makes it even more annoying is these people post on facebook multiple times an hour (from their smartphone) but then claim they have no access to email/phone whatever when we do get email responses. Hey idiot, i can see you posted that last facebook post "from your smartphone" and it was literally 10 minutes after we emailed you.

We finally got a link to an online proof of the album. It's awful. It looks absolutely nothing like the samples we were shown when we hired these people. My wife went so far as to mock up what she had expected to see using costco's photobook editor and some screenshots to email over and of course, no response for weeks.

At any rate, I'm hoping some of you are wedding photographers and have some websites that we could use to construct a quality photo album. The samples we saw had full page color photos on the album covers, and the interiors had full page photos with smaller photos overlayed on top. Sort of like what you'd see in this link: http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/22547/wedding-photo-album-software/

Any suggestions on websites we could use? I realize the quality photo books are probably somewhat costly, but I'm at a point where it might be easier to just make our own and have a happy wife than deal with these people any longer.

edit: the samples we saw had "thick" pages in the books, almost like a solid page that didn't bend and felt like a cardboard page.

Stan S. Stanman fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 6, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
https://www.blurb.com download their book software, go nuts. The quality is excellent.
If you're on a mac, I've also heard really good things about the book function in iPhoto.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

https://www.blurb.com download their book software, go nuts. The quality is excellent.
If you're on a mac, I've also heard really good things about the book function in iPhoto.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've been googling around in the meantime and found a style of photobook on picaboo that is almost exactly what I think she has in mind for what she wants. The only problem is it doesnt look like you can do a photo front. Any experience, positive or negative, with picaboo?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
We used a European company ( fotobuch.de )to print our wedding books and basically just called to ask for the optimal resolution of each page. Then we set out to work on it in Photoshop and dropped all the assembled JPGs into their photo web app. Quality is excellent.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Our wedding photographers have turned out to be a complete disaster. They were nice people in person, but it's been 10 months since the wedding and we're still without an album. Phone calls are never answered and messages asking for a call back are never returned. If you try to email them, you might get a response in 3-4 weeks.

We finally got a link to an online proof of the album. It's awful. It looks absolutely nothing like the samples we were shown when we hired these people.

Are you taking legal action?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

spog posted:

<---- Take it Judge Joe Brown, so he can ask the most important question. "WHERE IS YOUR 24-70!?!?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBSIvg3pjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBSIvg3pjc

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

<---- Take it Judge Joe Brown, so he can ask the most important question. "WHERE IS YOUR 24-70!?!?!"

Judge Joe Brown is pretty sweet but he doesn't have poo poo on Judge Mathis. This video is still awesome and it's mind-numbing how many of these "professional" photographers are out there.

"What speed is your lens?"
"I don't know."

:fuckoff:

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 6, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress. 1300 dollars to shoot a wedding with an XTi and two kit lenses?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

spog posted:

I've been considering it. I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest with these people. We already have the photos, so that's the important part at least.

If we can build an album ourselves that makes my wife happy, I'm all for it.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I've been considering it. I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest with these people. We already have the photos, so that's the important part at least.

We used MyPublisher and I was happy with the results. You download a program to put the album together, which I found much nicer than the web-based album makers. You can do full-bleed on pages and their page templates are decent. It isn't terribly expensive either since they have coupons and deals all the time.

http://www.mypublisher.com/

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

You could throw up their link in the "post terrible photographs from other photographers" thread with your story so if anyone in the future googles them at least they'll have been warned about what they are in for.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I think you should.

Best case, you get your money back and use if for something useful.

At the very least, it will makes other couples aware of them and warn them off. Stop other people from going though the same misery that you did.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who has the gall to even do that. loving hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A5H posted:

Who has the gall to even do that. loving hell.

It's part of the package in the wedding industry. Shady poo poo happens with all parts of planning a wedding, but photography is unique in that the cost of entry can be under $1000, all you need is a cheap DSLR, a website, and maybe an entry in the yellow pages.

Two things I never want to deal with: weddings, and funerals. The people in either of those industries are goddamn vultures.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's part of the package in the wedding industry. Shady poo poo happens with all parts of planning a wedding, but photography is unique in that the cost of entry can be under $1000, all you need is a cheap DSLR, a website, and maybe an entry in the yellow pages.

Two things I never want to deal with: weddings, and funerals. The people in either of those industries are goddamn vultures.

There's good money in funeral photography.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sign me the gently caress up then, if they're dead, they probably don't care if it's a kit lens!

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, oh, do dead folk HDR! I bet that one hasn't been explored.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

There's good money in funeral photography.

http://cogitz.com/2009/08/28/memento-mori-victorian-death-photos/

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That made me happy today, that's fantastic.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Those are incredibly creepy, yikes.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Judge Joe Brown just became one of my favourite people.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So you guys know I'm new here, and to quality/serious photography outside of the product images I've done for my day job. I've got a long way to go before I feel qualified to charge for anything, and I don't even know if I want to do it professional per se, but family and friends, whom aren't anywhere near as knowledgeable and helpful/critical as you guys are loving everything I show them, and now I've been asked to shoot a wedding.

I've never shot anything formal or professional, but the money would be really awesome...and I could justify buying some new glass, or even save up for a full-frame d700 or...well whatever the money would be nice, and there's a first time for everything, I just thought I'd wait for my sister in law's wedding and have them hire a pro, and ask if I could shoot alongside them if I stayed out of their way. But this kind of fell into my lap.

I have no idea what the standard shots are for a wedding, how intrusive to be...nothing. I don't know poo poo, but they want to cut the wedding's budget down and I guess the photography is an area they feel they can cut.

I guess I'm asking for advice, pointers, guides, anything that could help me out? Should I do it? I'm kind of uneasy seeing as I've no experience and don't feel qualified.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

RizieN posted:

I guess I'm asking for advice, pointers, guides, anything that could help me out? Should I do it? I'm kind of uneasy seeing as I've no experience and don't feel qualified.

Run.

Run like gently caress.

If you are not 100% confident that you can do this well, do not take it on.

If you screw up a product shot, you get to do it again. Even if a reshoot is impossible, the worst case is an unhappy customer and it all goes away in a few months.

If you screw up your family's wedding, it will haunt you at every family occasion for the rest of your life.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thats what I was thinking, guess I just needed to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Definitely stay away from photographing family weddings, especially if it's your first outing.

But on the other hand, if you're one of those people who are always "I'm not good enough!" when you might actually be good enough, it may be worth a shot to get involved in other weddings as an assistant. You won't be doing much shooting as an assistant, but it should be pretty educational and if you feel like you want to do it professionally, it'll help with that "could I do it?" question.

Plus, you get a free dinner out of it!