Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007
Another bit on chest protectors. I swear I tried to keep it brief!

Feel free to dissect it and take out parts that might be too much for the novice goalie to understand or need.

I tried to go over material content, sizing, levels of protection, and give a brief overview of what users can expect from each brand.

tl;dr: Go to a shop and try everything on.

---
Chest Protectors

Chest protectors or chest/arm units (C/A’s for short) are protective units that goalies wear for their upper body. They are made from a mixture of materials, including HD foam, plastic, nylon, as well as softer foams. Some units even have carbon fiber or other specialized inserts to help disperse puck impacts!

Like all other pieces of hockey equipment, C/A’s come in odd sounding sizes, like Senior, Junior or Youth. As an adult, 99% of you will be fitting into Senior sized equipment (unless you’re literally a child). From there, there are typically two levels of protection, Pro and regular (Senior). Pro-level senior equipment is souped-up, with extra materials for durability and for protection.

There are several brands of C/A makers out there. Among the most popular are Vaughn, Reebok, Bauer and Don Simmons.

Vaughn units are relatively expensive but are known for being both protective and allowing the user great mobility. Because of the mobility afforded by this unit, most users of these units prefer a more reactive style of play, as opposed to simply taking up net.

Reebok units are cheaper compared to Vaughn units and are known for being bulky and heavy. Though they are arguably more protective than an equivalent Vaughn unit, the bulk and protection a Reebok unit offers may lower the user’s mobility. Those units are large and take up a lot of net. Look towards these if your play is focused towards being in position and taking away net.

The new Bauer units for this season are supposedly very similar to the Vaughn Epic c/a line. This means they are quite protective and mobile out of the box, but without the price tag of a Vaughn unit.

Don Simmons is a small Canadian company that manufactures all sorts of goalie equipment, including pads and gloves. They use pro-level materials in the creation of their equipment, but don’t pay NHL-sponsorship fees so they are able to offer lower prices to the consumer. Many people swear by their equipment, as they provide some pretty good bang for buck. The Simmons 995 C/A is quite popular amongst goalies, though they do offer other units as well.

C/A’s are often sized based on the user’s height, but one should try to take into account your torso and arm length as well. Depending on the brand, some units are sized differently than others. Ideally, the arms of the C/A should end 1 or 2 inches away from your hand so it does not interfere with your gloves. Make sure your elbows are centered in the hard elbow cap and that the belly protection extends down far enough. You’ll also maybe want to look in a mirror to make sure your neck and clavicle area is not exposed. Finally, you may swing your arms around or try to touch your head to ensure you are not restricted in your movements.

parsleyc fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I'm going to start playing some floor hockey again and was looking for some relatively cheapo pads. The last set I had was a 34" pair of Tours that did the job. Can anyone suggest anything along those lines?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tours are good. DR pads are cheap (and lovely, but it likely won't matter for floor hockey).

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

parsleyc posted:

Among the most popular are Vaughn, Reebok, Bauer and Don Simmons...
Brown?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My Vaughn C/A got run over by a truck and suffered no damages.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

coldwind posted:

Brown?

I feel that a Brown unit might be overkill for a novice goaltender and a new unit would probably also be far out of the price range a newbie would be willing to pay for.

Maybe I'll write another paragraph about Brown and we could tack it in there somewhere. I'm just worried that our new OP will actually be something more like 5 posts worth of information...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

McKenney is a good brand too. I'll try to condense what we have into a new OP tonight and post it here so we can keep adding to the missing sections. Thanks for all the help so far guys :)

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

McKenney is a good brand too.

Huge McKenney fan here. Only my blocker and C/A aren't McKenney. You get equal or better quality than the highest end of other brands for nearly half the price. I'll put my pads up against anything out there

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think McKenney might be really regional though. I'd basically never heard of it until I moved back up here.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

parsleyc posted:

I feel that a Brown unit might be overkill for a novice goaltender and a new unit would probably also be far out of the price range a newbie would be willing to pay for.

Maybe I'll write another paragraph about Brown and we could tack it in there somewhere. I'm just worried that our new OP will actually be something more like 5 posts worth of information...
Yes, true...

BUT!!

People may be buying used.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

coldwind posted:

Yes, true...

BUT!!

People may be buying used.

This is true!

Does anyone have experience using a Brown unit? Perhaps they'd be interested in writing a little paragraph about it for the C/A portion. All I really know is that Brown uses plastics in his units and that the unit is asymmetrical (the catcher wrist area is different from the blocker wrist area), but that's about it.

Martytoof posted:

I think McKenney might be really regional though. I'd basically never heard of it until I moved back up here.

Definitely! In southern California, all I see in stores are Vaughns, Bauers and Reeboks.

I know other companies like Sherwood, Warrior, Brian's, SBK and Torspo make C/A's too, but there seems to be no reviews or anything about their gear and retailers don't carry them.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

parsleyc posted:

I know other companies like Sherwood, Warrior, Brian's, SBK and Torspo make C/A's too, but there seems to be no reviews or anything about their gear and retailers don't carry them.

The Brians' Focus C/A is probably on par or just a step below Brown in terms of protection. Very beefy and the C/A felt stiff when I tried it on. I'm sure it would have loosened up with use, but it didn't feel nearly as mobile as my Vaughn Epic 8800. It would be a good choice for a blocking goalie or someone who faces really heavy shooters. They aren't cheap, but they seem well made and very safe.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I have a tryout for the league at the Ice Den tonight. I'm not sure what their need for goalies are right now, but worst case scenario it's free ice time and a chance to talk to the hockey director. At least I'm already in one league at a different rink, so I'm not too concerned if I get picked up by a team or not, but it would be nice to be able to play some midweek hockey.

As for my team at the other rink, we lost 5-4 in a tough game. There were two things that really sucked about that game. Late in the 2nd period, the puck entered in the zone and it became a race between me and their best player for the puck. I realized that I was too aggressive and was stuck out in no man's land, so all I could do is force him to shot wide. The puck goes back off of the board, gets deflected, and I am trying to race back to the crease. One of my D-men was on the ice and I ended up tripping over him only to watch the puck roll into the net. I can't fault my D-man, since he was just try to make a play, but I'm annoyed at myself for putting myself in a situation that I couldn't recover from. Then in the 3rd period, they were up 4-3 and were on a powerplay. Another one of my defensemen gets the puck, sees an open forward and tries to pass it cross rink (side board to side board). He ends up turning the puck over right in front of the net and they blast a quick shot past glove and into the net for what would end up being the game winning goal.

Those kind of plays happen, but it was emblamatic of the kind of night it was. I did make a lot of really good saves, I robbed their best shooter with a glove save and later on, I stopped the same shooter and trailing player who tried to knock in the rebound on a breakaway. I also made about 4-5 saves while I was either on my back or the puck wsa behind me. I feel like I am getting better, but for some reason I can't quite seem to get my goals allowed under the 4-5 goal plateau. I know there are a few things that I still need to tighten up, but it would be nice to go out there and only let in 2 goals.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 5, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh. One of the worst things about being a goalie is that your team doesn't have like 10+ of you to rely on, so if you're feeling like poo poo and don't want to play all of a sudden you're putting ice time in jeopardy because you've got to find a replacemenet/etc, and nobody wants to shoot at an open net.

If a skater isn't feeling good well "hey, you're down to 2 subs on the bench"

If a goalie doesn't show "gently caress this poo poo, now we have to shoot on an open net. loving goalie, what the gently caress"

Guess who might have food poisoning but will probably drive 30 minutes out to nowhere to play hockey because it's way too late to find a sub.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Ugh. One of the worst things about being a goalie is that your team doesn't have like 10+ of you to rely on, so if you're feeling like poo poo and don't want to play all of a sudden you're putting ice time in jeopardy because you've got to find a replacemenet/etc, and nobody wants to shoot at an open net.

If a skater isn't feeling good well "hey, you're down to 2 subs on the bench"

If a goalie doesn't show "gently caress this poo poo, now we have to shoot on an open net. loving goalie, what the gently caress"

Guess who might have food poisoning but will probably drive 30 minutes out to nowhere to play hockey because it's way too late to find a sub.

Please don't stain the ice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Literally making GBS threads the ice can't be much worse than how I have been playing lately :q:

:(

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Been wanting to play in net for a while and I've always said that it was silly since I have no cash but I completely forgot that I get a tax return and craigslist is showing a complete set of equipment for $350 and according to all measurement research it would fit me and all I would need to get after that are skates, jock, and a helmet but I'm still not convinced that I should do it, fuuuuuuck.

Basically Itech Vamp 7.8 pads, Itech 11.8 blocker/catcher, itech xfactor c/a. Comes with a jock and a mask, but I don't trust/want to wear those. I already have hockey pants. Oh, and there's a goalie bag, too.

Fuuuuuuck. Somebody sway me either way.

e:I really only need some reasons on why not to do this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's not bad. As long as it isn't babby's first jock I think you'll be okay wearing it. If you really feel gross about it, run it through the wash about 30 times.

The mask might be a different story. Much like the jock, it depends entirely what it is.

I would budget at least another $600 for a mask and skates, but the pads and blocker/catcher should be fine for someone starting out.

edit: Reasons why not, huh? Well I suppose if you're worried about being TOO awesome then you might want to hold off :smug:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The mask is this guy right here.

Jock looks more similar to goalie cups than player cups, so I guess if I disinfect like a motherfucker I'll be fine.

Email sent to try and "claim a spot" if I pull the trigger.:smithicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone might want to call me on this, but I think that mask is actually acceptable. Not amazing or fantastic, but a lot better than the plastic widowmaker 1200 series.

Unless you're just going by looks, because most of the Itech masks look the same.

If the mask is actually the 4600 then it's actually not atrocious [citation needed]

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

The mask is this guy right here.

Jock looks more similar to goalie cups than player cups, so I guess if I disinfect like a motherfucker I'll be fine.

Email sent to try and "claim a spot" if I pull the trigger.:smithicide:
How badly do you desire this? If you love hockey the proper amount (a poo poo-ton) and have the correct beliefs about goalies (they're the best, it's the best) then do it. I don't know if you're as gung-ho on hockey as I was as a kid (I used to tie couch cushions to my legs with sweatshirts and pretend I was a goalie) but when I finally got a chance to play it was like a dream come true.

It's seriously so much fun.

In terms of cups, I'd suggest getting some boxer briefs and wearing the cup/jock over those and under compression. That way, nothing touches skin. Wearing it under compression helps it stay in place. The important part is that nothing touches skin.

Don't forget a stick. It's so much fun.

(grabs Rotten Cookies by the shoulders) Seriously, it's so badass. Plus, you might be able to find some really good deals on skates because the new stuff is coming soon. I've seen Nike-Bauer One95's going for about $250. Which is a crazy good deal if you can still find them in your size.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to comment on the mask. I agree with Marty. Aramid fibers, carbon and fibergalss is quality construction.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, the C/A section seems too long, with product recommendations and the like. We seriously just need to make a wiki.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 6, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And maybe I'm just not a disgusting motherfucker, but my goalie cup is literally the least nasty and smelly piece of equipment I own. I wear it over compression pants though so my junk isn't like, sweating directly into it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Completely forgot about the stick. Wouldn't that be fun.

I'm glad to hear the mask isn't a dented skull waiting to happen. Glad to hear that I might be able to snag some clearance skates.

gently caress it. :suicide:

(That signifies me pulling the trigger.)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Completely forgot about the stick. Wouldn't that be fun.

I'm glad to hear the mask isn't a dented skull waiting to happen. Glad to hear that I might be able to snag some clearance skates.

gently caress it. :suicide:

(That signifies me pulling the trigger.)
You won't regret it. Well, you see your bank statement, but by then you won't care.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I played better than I expected at the tryout tonight, still not sure if I'll catch on with a team for the upcoming season, but we'll see what happens.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Been wanting to play in net for a while and I've always said that it was silly since I have no cash but I completely forgot that I get a tax return and craigslist is showing a complete set of equipment for $350 and according to all measurement research it would fit me and all I would need to get after that are skates, jock, and a helmet but I'm still not convinced that I should do it, fuuuuuuck.

Basically Itech Vamp 7.8 pads, Itech 11.8 blocker/catcher, itech xfactor c/a. Comes with a jock and a mask, but I don't trust/want to wear those. I already have hockey pants. Oh, and there's a goalie bag, too.

Fuuuuuuck. Somebody sway me either way.

e:I really only need some reasons on why not to do this.

Are you playing ice or roller? If ice I suggest getting goalie pants instead of just wearing regular hockey pants.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Just chiming in about McKenney, their stuff is cheap because of the same lack of NHL sponsorship mentioned in the Don Simmons section. Also there are Canadian flags plastered all over :canada:

I just remembered a question I wanted to ask. I was wondering about the merit of the Paddle-Down when playing the butterfly. Osgood and Howard do it constantly and it seems like they're just doubling up on coverage. It seems to me that it's pointless as long as your pads are flush to the ice, which is the whole idea when butterflying. All they're doing is opening up the whole top half of the net. Really the only situation I could see it having a use would be a quick wrap-around where you don't have the time to get set into the V/H.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 6, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

crusader donkey posted:

Just chiming in about McKenney, their stuff is cheap because of the same lack of NHL sponsorship mentioned in the Don Simmons section. Also there are Canadian flags plastered all over :canada:

I just remembered a question I wanted to ask. I was wondering about the merit of the Paddle-Down when playing the butterfly. Osgood and Howard do it constantly and it seems like they're just doubling up on coverage. It seems to me that it's pointless as long as your pads are flush to the ice, which is the whole idea when butterflying. All they're doing is opening up the whole top half of the net. Really the only situation I could see it having a use would be a quick wrap-around where you don't have the time to get set into the V/H.

Stomp is another good manufacturer to consider, they are run by the guy who used to own Brians. I actually saw a goalie who was wearing Jeff Lerg pro return Stomps and it was surprising how similar the pads were to Zero Gs. They are definitely someone to consider if you are looking at Brians, but don't want to pay full price or you could PM me about my Zero Gs that I have for sale. :) Incidentally, that same goalie had his last pads stolen at Arcadia. I'd like to play at Arcadia at some point, but I've heard way too many anecdotes about gear being stolen and the area being dicey.

As for the paddle down in the butterfly, I do that sometimes and it is mainly to ensure that I have my 5-hole seeled. It also gives you the ability to sweep your paddle and try to knock the puck if the the action is in tight. I certainly wouldn't classify it as good form, but if you are using an extremely wide butterfly or just really want to make sure that your 5-hole is closed, then it can work.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 6, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like the paddle down on really close in shots where you can push the paddle out as a sort of pseudo-pokecheck (Brodeur does this a lot), and still maintain five-hole coverage. It's also sometimes nice on screens where you're pretty sure the shot is going glove (it's really easy to explode up glove side when you're in paddle down), or on breakaways when you want to give glove then take it away (what's this, a goalie doing something other than mindlessly playing percentages, I'll be damned).

Brodeur is nasty at shootouts and he pretty much just plays paddle down and then explodes up with his glove every time. It's kinda funny to watch shooters repeatedly think they can beat him there only to get robbed.

edit: oh you're talking about the paddle down in the bfly? Yeah that seems pretty useless. I would only use it from the half/bfly hybrid kick save thing that Brodeur does where one leg is off the ice.

Also paddle down rules on shots where the shooter is relatively close in and has his back to you. It's really hard for someone to get the puck up as they're spinning around unless they have time to put a ton of weight on their back foot.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 6, 2011

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Stomp is another good manufacturer to consider, they are run by the guy who used to own Brians. I actually saw a goalie who was wearing Jeff Lerg pro return Stomps and it was surprising how similar the pads were to Zero Gs. They are definitely someone to consider if you are looking at Brians, but don't want to pay full price or you could PM me about my Zero Gs that I have for sale. :) Incidentally, that same goalie had his last pads stolen at Arcadia. I'd like to play at Arcadia at some point, but I've heard way too many anecdotes about gear being stolen and the area being dicey.

Why would you want to play there? The ice is poo poo, the location is ghetto and there are no keys for the locker rooms. You have to pretty much plan on getting something stolen there. Seriously, there is no reason to play at that hole when we have so many other options in town.

*edit* Also, if you park AT the rink itself, your car will likely get broken into. There's a wall separating one of the worst neighborhoods in Phoenix from the rink. People just jump it, steal poo poo from your car and jump back over. But hey, at least there's one security guard in a golf cart that patrols about 3 city blocks to protect you.

gently caress Arcadia.

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 6, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Why would you want to play there? The ice is poo poo, the location is ghetto and there are no keys for the locker rooms. You have to pretty much plan on getting something stolen there. Seriously, there is no reason to play at that hole when we have so many other options in town.

*edit* Also, if you park AT the rink itself, your car will likely get broken into. There's a wall separating one of the worst neighborhoods in Phoenix from the rink. People just jump it, steal poo poo from your car and jump back over. But hey, at least there's one security guard in a golf cart that patrols about 3 city blocks to protect you.

gently caress Arcadia.

I have the naive goal of wanting to play at every rink in Phoenix, but Arcadia is probably one box best left unchecked.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

crusader donkey posted:

I just remembered a question I wanted to ask. I was wondering about the merit of the Paddle-Down when playing the butterfly.

Always on wraps. You also want to do it on jam attempts in tight when you're in the VH at your glove side post. (Blocker side post it just won't work without opening up the near corner bigtime.) Other than that, there are still times when the puck's loose close to you in front where you know the shot's going to either be a random stick whacking the puck along the ice or nothing at all. You're giving up some up high coverage and a tiny bit of lateral mobility for slighly better low coverage on the first shot and much better ability to pounce of rebounds with your hands. The weird paddle-down pokecheck you can do from this position is also very powerful. I've definitely made some nice saves by lunging out with the paddle across the ice and my glove just off the ice. You can explode out at the shooter very quickly and completely take away the angle in tight.

edit: I thought about it some more, and one big reason you see pro goalies go paddle down in a butterfly is when they are expecting a quick shot but still want to be able to do a backside push. Normally you open up some five hole when you do a push.. even if you do a butterfly shuffle. Keeping the paddle down lets you push, especially toward your blocker side, without opening any real five hole space at all.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 6, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Apparently playing 4-times in 5-days leads to fatigue. It's weird to not feel sore, yet completely lack any sort of explosiveness in my movement. Oh well, those kind of nights happen and now I just need to rest up for my game on Saturday and Churchill on Sunday.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

T-Bone posted:

edit: oh you're talking about the paddle down in the bfly? Yeah that seems pretty useless. I would only use it from the half/bfly hybrid kick save thing that Brodeur does where one leg is off the ice.

Also paddle down rules on shots where the shooter is relatively close in and has his back to you. It's really hard for someone to get the puck up as they're spinning around unless they have time to put a ton of weight on their back foot.

These are both where I use it mostly, along with wrap-arounds. Hybrid goalies represent :hfive:

I might have to try that breakaway thing next time I'm at drop in, I'm not good enough of an ice skater yet to really stand much of a chance when the better players deke, so if they were going to score anyway I might as well give myself a chance to look amazing :v:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crusader donkey posted:

These are both where I use it mostly, along with wrap-arounds. Hybrid goalies represent :hfive:

I might have to try that breakaway thing next time I'm at drop in, I'm not good enough of an ice skater yet to really stand much of a chance when the better players deke, so if they were going to score anyway I might as well give myself a chance to look amazing :v:

The Brodeur method on breakaways also works because he's 6'1. I don't think I could use it the way he uses it because he's got three inches on me.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

T-Bone posted:

The Brodeur method on breakaways also works because he's 6'1. I don't think I could use it the way he uses it because he's got three inches on me.

goddamn, we are the exact same person :tinfoil:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's a little tip I wish I'd thought of five minutes ago:

If you buy laces that are too long, cut them to size, then melt the ends over a flame so they don't fray, for the love of god watch out that a drip of molten plastic doesn't land on your hand.

File under: Things that hurt a LOT :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Put a half inch of shrink tubing on the end when heating it up too, so you get a nice solid cap to help push through the holes. :eng101:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

So guess who's the proud owner of a set of goalie equipment.

The guy who bought the craigslist stuff before me. Fuckerrrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Busted. That was a good deal too, if all the details were to be believed :(

• Locked thread