Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The war on drugs / industrial prison complex and that stuff is probably the best real world example of Lawful Evil I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Just like the War on Drugs!

Yeah, look up asset forfeiture sometime. The cops can take your poo poo- land, vehicles, money, property of all kinds- and force you to prove that you legally own it and didn't buy it with the proceeds from crime. You have no rights because, guess what, the confiscated property is the defendant, not you, so the Constitution doesn't protect you. There's small-town PDs in rural areas of the Midwest and South that have absolutely lavish headquarters and all the gear they'd ever want because they make a habit of "confiscating" random cars driving through and- and here's the best part- the confiscating police department keeps the confiscated funds and the proceeds from selling confiscated property. Lawful Evil at its finest.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

Accused not convicted? Wow. Talk about Lawful Evil.

Eh, pretty much every civilization ever has been lawful evil. It's actually really hard for me to not create LE societies because I always start with historical analogs. I find good/neutral parties trying to better a largely evil (in the realistic sense, not the baby eating sense) world is more compelling than the Forgotten Realms standard. Individuals and organizations can be good or neutral, governments are almost always lowercase evil.

It's funny though because the players who haven't played one of my adventures before immediately start railing against the first society they're introduced to. The ones who've played a few are all "Abolitionist? This is merit based slavery, what's the problem?"

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

BrainWeasel posted:

No, he's saying he would have been more angry if the tournament had turned out unmemorable. It's a little clunky, but it's correct. Append a phantom "made me" to his sentence and it's much easier to diagram.
Ah, there it is. I'd already forgotten that Elan asked "doesn't that make you mad?" rather than "aren't you mad?" Thanks. :)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Eh, pretty much every civilization ever has been lawful evil. It's actually really hard for me to not create LE societies because I always start with historical analogs. I find good/neutral parties trying to better a largely evil (in the realistic sense, not the baby eating sense) world is more compelling than the Forgotten Realms standard. Individuals and organizations can be good or neutral, governments are almost always lowercase evil.

And here is exposed the old flaw of the alignment system in that it is completely subjective. I mean would you describe Plato's Republic as evil? I don't think most nations throughout history would describe themselves as such, even at a safe distance.

God that always bugged me. I got into D&D through Baldur's Gate and when I decided to do a bit of background reading I was amazed to find out that there were literally orc and elf cultures literally teaching each other to betray, torture and enslave each other at every oppurtunity "to be evil" which essentially meant they never had any kind of civilization at all. Apart from the Drow because the fans love the Drow. If I remember right the orcs didn't have any kind of sensible kingdom until a bad guy in a Drizzt novel just-about created one. Is that right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SithDrummer posted:

I suppose that is supposed to read: "no one even would have remembered."

Solid strip, though. I love Tarquin's gloating.

I love that every strip further cements him as the best villain.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tarquin is a good example of why authors should replace their earlier characters with later ones. I find his dialogue really refreshing. I feel like there's a point where any really conniving character ends up looking like (for lack of a better term) some sort of mary sue thing. Tarquin doesn't. He's every evil mastermind with none of the blunder or eye rolling stupidity. Even well written stories too often just go 'oh well uh here's something dumb' out of the antagonist's mouth, just to hold to the trope. Tarquins cares not for the tropes.

Nilbop posted:

And here is exposed the old flaw of the alignment system in that it is completely subjective.
The problem is people weigh good a hundred times lighter than evil. A single evil act == you're EVIL. A single good act, in turn, has no meaning. Heroism is just taken for granted. How many people will act like a Lawful Evil character will do something heroic because 'oh well why not'. I mean, I'm agreeing with you, but subjective is fine if people didn't act like any evil act suddenly makes your soul turn black and you vomit up fiends every eight hours. But find me an alignment argument where people don't immediately say 'no one good would do this' or 'but he would kill a baby, so he must be EVIL'. They never have any opposite to that, there's never "no one evil can do this".

I don't remember what we're supposed to call D&D outsiders.

Most cultures are very strongly neutral. People, in large groups, generally are. Most people aren't actively malicious, in fact they're arguably not actively anything beyond people. The worst part of alignment systems is people don't realize they're not a prison, mind you.

Also Forgotten Realms, as it was in the BG era, will drive you nuts if you think about it in any manner approaching logically. It's not a functional setting, it exists purely to have Party, Will Travel, Get XP. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here since I don't really care, but I can strongly recall a huge D&D nerd friend of mine screaming nonstop about how FR was just piles of wizards all hiding in towers and spewing out magic items that no one in the populace ever used. Just nestled away in their treasure troves for an apparently infinite parade of adventurers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most societies in human history seem neutral by D&D standards until you remember trivial details such as institutionalized racism, slavery, rampant sexism, sweat shops, corrupt governments, corrupt police etc.

D&D has a pretty high standard for what constitutes Evil as opposed to good or neutral, that's the problem.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

“Don’t gently caress around in my city unless you want to risk losing your vorpal nunchucks.”

I really want to play a character with vorpal nunchucks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vorpal nunchucks are a much better topic for discussion than the alignment system, really.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

rotinaj posted:

I really want to play a character with vorpal nunchucks.

Vorpal weapons have to be edged.

That that concludes my nerdiest post of the day. I hope.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Vorpal sword-chucks?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ashcans posted:

Vorpal sword-chucks?

Vorpal slingshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSU1jQoGIqo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

crime fighting hog posted:

Bitch, I know that. That's what makes me want to play a character with vorpal nunchucks even more.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

crime fighting hog posted:

That just means they have to be vorpal sword-chucks.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Piell posted:

That just means they have to be vorpal sword-chucks.

Lightsaber-chucks. :colbert:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vicissitude posted:

Those would be Brilliant Energy.

oh god why

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, they're just regular old wooden magic nunchucks. Imagine securing a puppy to a worktable via vice and then having Josh Hamilton swing for the fences with an aluminum bat. It works on the same principle.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

Glowchuks, yo.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spiderdrake posted:

Also Forgotten Realms, as it was in the BG era, will drive you nuts if you think about it in any manner approaching logically. It's not a functional setting, it exists purely to have Party, Will Travel, Get XP. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here since I don't really care, but I can strongly recall a huge D&D nerd friend of mine screaming nonstop about how FR was just piles of wizards all hiding in towers and spewing out magic items that no one in the populace ever used. Just nestled away in their treasure troves for an apparently infinite parade of adventurers.

A lot of that was actually covered in the books. The goddess of magic would have her people randomly place spells and other magical items where people might find them so they would be inspired to start practicing magic. Granted, most of it was poo poo like a light spell scroll, or a wand of magic missile with half it's charges gone but they honestly did just drop that poo poo around towns and old farmsteads.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vorpal nunchucks are a much better topic for discussion than the alignment system, really.
Me too, I'm sorry about that. I just read other forums and build up a need to vent. Inversely, I really like Tarquin and the recent strips for almost that reason. It's panacea to someone sick and tired of reading D&D arguments where people just shriek about 'killing babies'. Tarquin won't kill you for any price - he'll kill you for the right price.

seaborgium posted:

A lot of that was actually covered in the books.
I'm not sure that really makes the setting make any more sense. Like instead of a wizard did it, now it's the goddess of wizards did it so more wizards would do it?

I think his point was that the economy and nature of the setting just didn't make any sense, but really I'm not sure it was supposed to. It's almost exclusively for the purposes of providing a setting for people RPing silly adventures, isn't it?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not sure that really makes the setting make any more sense. Like instead of a wizard did it, now it's the goddess of wizards did it so more wizards would do it?

I think his point was that the economy and nature of the setting just didn't make any sense, but really I'm not sure it was supposed to. It's almost exclusively for the purposes of providing a setting for people RPing silly adventures, isn't it?

You're right, but finding some random low level magical item did have some sort of explanation. It is really just a backdrop that doesn't have to make the most sense.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Faerun just loving bothers me. There's no city with a population over a quarter million because it's a medieval fantasy setting, but there's hundreds of the loving things. The geography of the place makes absolutely no sense, there are deserts side by side with polar icefloes, rolling plains where there should be immense swamps and wetlands, squiggly-line rivers everywhere they can fit, the topography looks like the entire continent was originally completely densely wooded rainforests steeped among cloud-piercing mountains with the occasional rain-basin which have now become inland seas with the only direction being "mountains everywhere, rivers where there are no mountains."

Blargh it's just ... blargh!

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
A wizard Mystra did it.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Faerun just loving bothers me. There's no city with a population over a quarter million because it's a medieval fantasy setting, but there's hundreds of the loving things. The geography of the place makes absolutely no sense, there are deserts side by side with polar icefloes, rolling plains where there should be immense swamps and wetlands, squiggly-line rivers everywhere they can fit, the topography looks like the entire continent was originally completely densely wooded rainforests steeped among cloud-piercing mountains with the occasional rain-basin which have now become inland seas with the only direction being "mountains everywhere, rivers where there are no mountains."

Blargh it's just ... blargh!

I personally loved that about the place. It was a freaking fantasy wonderland of plot convenience. And I adored the high-level NPC's. It was a stupid-fun setting.

Hence when they announced it as the main setting for fourth edition, I knew bad things were coming. Realms is NOT a good mainstream setting, and they'd have to go about "fixing" it to make it "work."

*sigh*

On topic, Elan's Dad gets more awesome every comic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Entertainer13 posted:

I personally loved that about the place. It was a freaking fantasy wonderland of plot convenience. And I adored the high-level NPC's. It was a stupid-fun setting.

Hence when they announced it as the main setting for fourth edition, I knew bad things were coming. Realms is NOT a good mainstream setting, and they'd have to go about "fixing" it to make it "work."

*sigh*

Faerun is not the setting of fourth edition, it's some entirely new world.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Entertainer13 posted:

*sigh*

Yeah, beaten, but the "default" setting isn't FR. It's what they call the "Points of Light" setting. There were once great, continent-spanning empires, but they have fallen into dust and now civilization is in isolated pockets constantly threatened by the encroaching forces of chaos. Points of light in the darkness yadda yadda. Elminster and company got a campaign guide and players guide, much like Dark Sun and Eberron.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Pope Guilty posted:

Faerun is not the setting of fourth edition, it's some entirely new world.

Its the land of apathy, unless you want some juicy XP. The LFR campaign is leaving me more and more in the dust. I hope the writing improves with the year 3 changes.

I have been playing Pathfinder lately as well, Golorion is a pretty good place.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Nilbop posted:

And here is exposed the old flaw of the alignment system in that it is completely subjective. I mean would you describe Plato's Republic as evil? I don't think most nations throughout history would describe themselves as such, even at a safe distance.

God that always bugged me. I got into D&D through Baldur's Gate and when I decided to do a bit of background reading I was amazed to find out that there were literally orc and elf cultures literally teaching each other to betray, torture and enslave each other at every oppurtunity "to be evil" which essentially meant they never had any kind of civilization at all. Apart from the Drow because the fans love the Drow.

Actually there was a book that did a pretty good job of explaining how the drow could have a "functional" culture based on evil and betrayal. It's basically Anarchist-Libertopia, only every time one person or group started to amass enough power to make the entire system completely broken instead of just broken enough to barely work, Lolth just pops in and kills them. It's the kind of unstable, paranoid imbalanced-balance implied by the phrase "an armed society is a polite society".

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

It's not so much Lolth stepping in and killing the person upsetting the balance, but rather the rest of Drow culture stepping up to rebalance the equation. It's true that they're all chaotic evil and looking out for number 1, but when someone or some house acquires the power to cause damage to their way of life, they tend to band together for mutual benefit against the common enemy. It's a very fluid balance of power most of the time, but it is usually balanced.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Huitzil posted:

Actually there was a book that did a pretty good job of explaining how the drow could have a "functional" culture based on evil and betrayal. It's basically Anarchist-Libertopia, only every time one person or group started to amass enough power to make the entire system completely broken instead of just broken enough to barely work, Lolth just pops in and kills them. It's the kind of unstable, paranoid imbalanced-balance implied by the phrase "an armed society is a polite society".

But that doesn't make sense to me. You have to make a huge leap somewhere if you buy into the idea that an entire race, nevermind an entire civilization, follow a god that they know will willingly strike them down if they do well for themselves. It's just no feasible. Instead of being master assassins and viper-minded tacticians every drow should be a paranoid wreck terrified of achieving anything, as literally everything around them will kill them. The same is true to a lesser extent for the orcs, because if I remember rightly Gruumsh literally didn't give a poo poo about them so much as having a fight and trying to kill Corellon.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Basically all the Evil races don't make sense to me as how they are capable of maintaining any big civilization. Orcs, okay, they always seem to be barbarians with whoever's strongest having say. No giant cities and fancy architecture.

I guess it's just what happens when you create a race solely to be antagonists.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Nilbop posted:

But that doesn't make sense to me. You have to make a huge leap somewhere if you buy into the idea that an entire race, nevermind an entire civilization, follow a god that they know will willingly strike them down if they do well for themselves. It's just no feasible. Instead of being master assassins and viper-minded tacticians every drow should be a paranoid wreck terrified of achieving anything, as literally everything around them will kill them. The same is true to a lesser extent for the orcs, because if I remember rightly Gruumsh literally didn't give a poo poo about them so much as having a fight and trying to kill Corellon.

They don't KNOW she comes in and does it. It's very hush-hush. And it only happens when someone would become powerful enough to break the entire system (as a totally unrestricted libertopia would eventually have happen), not just "doing well". She'd have the leader of your noble house whacked if she was about to turn it into Microsoft, but not, say, Apple.

Drow are paranoid and terrified pretty much 24/7, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, so would drow carry loot such as +2 tin foil hats?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Nilbop posted:

every drow should be a paranoid wreck terrified of achieving anything, as literally everything around them will kill them.

All Drow ARE paranoid wrecks, but they have an ingrained sense of greed and a drive for power, partly inherent but also largely part of the Cult of Lolth. They just have to achieve it according to "The Rules". If you piss off one matron mother by horning in on her power base, her house will strike back at you. But naturally, it won't be directly. After all, two houses at war will swiftly deplete their resources and be easy pickings for all the other houses. So instead, she'll negotiate this and that among other houses, pledging support in a small raid in exchange for a bit of an embargo here, a slit throat there. Things like that. Meanwhile, that raid that she's supporting will be used in a power struggle against another house completely unrelated to you and her in the first place. Drow politics is a tangled web of intrigue, betrayal and a carefully interwoven system of checks and balances.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doesn't look like Thog at least.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Doesn't look like Thog at least.

Yeah, Thog probably isn't capable of RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Isn't that Thog's axe though?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Affi posted:

Isn't that Thog's axe though?

Thog's axe was two-headed and symmetrical last time we saw him in Greyport or whatever, but let's face it, that helmet's there to conceal a big reveal and it'd be a perfect segue in to introduce Nale to spice up something that has gone pretty much "to plan" for all parties.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see how everyone going to plan works out, but it just feels like there's gonna be a big tweest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm guessing it'll be Roy's here-to-for unseen evil twin.