Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

Albert is wrestling in NJPW as Giant Bernard, tagging as one half of the tag team champions with Machine Gun Karl Anderson known as Bad Intentions. He's now one of the top outside talents in Japan, and improved massively in his time over there.

This is a mistranslation and it is actually Giant Bearnard because he is an actual bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Sue Denim posted:

That's odd, I've never noticed any kind of speech impediment, it just sounds like a strong southern accent with a lot of enthusiasm to me.

Here's a more intense example of the effects that Bell's Palsy has on JR, mostly intensified by the fact he was still recovering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3bX0p1gpAU

This video is from 12 years ago and you could cut and paste parts of it into current continuity. :psyduck:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

Albert is wrestling in NJPW as Giant Bernard, tagging as one half of the tag team champions with Machine Gun Karl Anderson known as Bad Intentions. He's now one of the top outside talents in Japan, and improved massively in his time over there.

He also got incredibly fat.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I dont get the posts in this thread about having to greeting people you work with as a frat boy thing? Especially when your life is in danger while you are working with them.

I know when I was bouncing we all greeted each other as a solidarity thing because that guy is going to be watching your back and you dont want to do anything to offend. wrestling is a 2 man thing and that other guy you are doing moves on and doing moves to you is also protecting you the last thing you want to do is be a aloof stuck up snob who doesnt greet people. I dunno I dont get it. You shouldnt have to be forced to greet people who have their hands on your life any time you are in the ring together.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

What's the possibility of getting a refund for Wrestlemania 27 if you ordered the show to see Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus? I'm just curious. I still can't believe they advertised the match and took it off the card with no announcement especially since it probably would have been a great match.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mega GIRL posted:

What's the possibility of getting a refund for Wrestlemania 27 if you ordered the show to see Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus? I'm just curious. I still can't believe they advertised the match and took it off the card with no announcement especially since it probably would have been a great match.

Probably none, due to CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Now GAB'06 where one of the 5 announced matches happened as announced? That might be there.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Mega GIRL posted:

Highly unlikely, I'd say. Card subject to change, and all that.

Edit: drat you.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Oh I forgot about the card being subject to change. Buyer beware. :witch:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The removal of the US title match was pretty insulting to the consumer since it was promoted on the half hour preview show on the PPV channels. When you say a match is happening literally minutes before airtime you should really follow through on that. No one ordered the show just for that match, but it is fake fighting. You control what airs and what doesn't.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I think sometimes they offer refunds if it's someone from the main event who's missing, but it's fairly rare.

I was watching Rey and Eddie beat the Bashams for the tag titles the other day and Eddie tied two tag ropes together so he could tag Rey easier. Did Eddie have any other awesome, obscure cheats?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MassRayPer posted:

The removal of the US title match was pretty insulting to the consumer since it was promoted on the half hour preview show on the PPV channels. When you say a match is happening literally minutes before airtime you should really follow through on that. No one ordered the show just for that match, but it is fake fighting. You control what airs and what doesn't.

Absolutely. I had heard rumblings that it was getting bumped to the dark match as early as Thursday, so seeing it during pre-WM hype was a huge relief, only to be followed by shattering disappointment. Having said that, the eventual match as it took place on Raw was passable but not great. I think WWE dropped the ball big-time by not debuting Sin Cara at WM with all those extra eyes watching.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

CM Funk posted:

Absolutely. I had heard rumblings that it was getting bumped to the dark match as early as Thursday, so seeing it during pre-WM hype was a huge relief, only to be followed by shattering disappointment. Having said that, the eventual match as it took place on Raw was passable but not great. I think WWE dropped the ball big-time by not debuting Sin Cara at WM with all those extra eyes watching.

But more people watch RAW than WM. Debuting Sin Cara on RAW was fine.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Yeah, nobody will be able to file suit or ask for a refund from WWE or anything like that due to "Card is Subject to Change" and all that. File a complaint with WWE or your PPV provider (preferably WWE since it was their call), at least you can do that. Maybe they'll get enough complaints and learn not to do that again. It's pretty dick of a company to pull or demote a match because of "time constraints" instead of legit injuries to wrestlers which is out of their control.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, nobody will be able to file suit or ask for a refund from WWE or anything like that due to "Card is Subject to Change" and all that. File a complaint with WWE or your PPV provider (preferably WWE since it was their call), at least you can do that. Maybe they'll get enough complaints and learn not to do that again. It's pretty dick of a company to pull or demote a match because of "time constraints" instead of legit injuries to wrestlers which is out of their control.

If nothing else it would show WWE that people really want to see those guys, to the point that it was a contributing factor to shelling out for a PPV.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Minidust posted:

No Way Out (Of Texas) 1998 main event: Steve Austin, Owen Hart (!), Mick Foley, and Terry Funk vs. Triple H, The New Age Outlaws, and Savio Vega

Savio was actually a mystery partner reveal, replacing an injured Shawn Michaels :geno:

If I remember correctly, Savio Vega and his stable used to help DX out sometimes, most notably in the Casket match at the Royal Rumble 1998 where they beat up Undertaker together. That was the first time Kane comes to the ring and murders DX and friends in a spectacular fashion, too.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

crankdatbatman posted:

Question: What's up with Albert these days? Is he an actual bear like his gimmick was?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

I thought Bell's Palsy only affected you temporary time periods, though? I had a friend in high school who had it, and he recovered and was normal afterward. Granted, he's always at risk for another attack, but it doesn't permanently affect him or anything.

That being said the little time JR was on Raw was the first time I've heard JR in several years. He sounded different from what I remembered (early 2000s), but that could have just been me.

Funnily enough, the fact that JR had it meant that I pretty quickly worked out what happened when I had a case of it for a month or two in high school. Very mild, but enough to very slightly slur certain hard consonant sounds and make it difficult to drink from anything requiring a pseudo-vacuum seal (soda cans, bottles, straws). It's basically caused by nerves in the jaw being irritated/inflamed (possibly as a result of viral damage) and the muscles freak out and lose motion. It's a pretty weird sensation even in a mild instance, your face not doing what you want it to.

JR obviously has a pretty severe case, and there's no definitive cure because doctors still aren't 100% sure what the cause is. Steroids and in more severe cases, surgery can help, and milder cases can pretty much clear up entirely.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Funnily enough, the fact that JR had it meant that I pretty quickly worked out what happened when I had a case of it for a month or two in high school. Very mild, but enough to very slightly slur certain hard consonant sounds and make it difficult to drink from anything requiring a pseudo-vacuum seal (soda cans, bottles, straws). It's basically caused by nerves in the jaw being irritated/inflamed (possibly as a result of viral damage) and the muscles freak out and lose motion. It's a pretty weird sensation even in a mild instance, your face not doing what you want it to.

JR obviously has a pretty severe case, and there's no definitive cure because doctors still aren't 100% sure what the cause is. Steroids and in more severe cases, surgery can help, and milder cases can pretty much clear up entirely.

I thought JR had a couple strokes as a result of his Bell's Palsy, and that's what led to the permanent facial paralyzation?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

I think sometimes they offer refunds if it's someone from the main event who's missing, but it's fairly rare.

I was watching Rey and Eddie beat the Bashams for the tag titles the other day and Eddie tied two tag ropes together so he could tag Rey easier. Did Eddie have any other awesome, obscure cheats?

I remember him cutting an opponents rope to like stub on a house show so his partner couldn't reach as far to tag in without the ref stopping him. In this same match he untied his tag rope from the turnbuckle and put it on the top rope so he could walk the length of the apron and around the corner to the other side.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KungFu Grip posted:

I remember him cutting an opponents rope to like stub on a house show so his partner couldn't reach as far to tag in without the ref stopping him. In this same match he untied his tag rope from the turnbuckle and put it on the top rope so he could walk the length of the apron and around the corner to the other side.

Goddamn Eddie :unsmith:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn Eddie :unsmith:

It was a Guerreros vs Bashams match too. Both Chavo and one of the Bashams were near the Basham tag corner so Eddie tied his tag rope to the top rope so he could walk closer to Chavo and onto the Basham side next to one of the brothers.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

What's Droz like as a talker? I thought he was always kinda like a more punky/metal-y Stone Cold. I'm surprised he's not taken a commentating role, the WWE would get a lot of cred for having a disabled on-screen talent (well, until someone asked why he was disabled ... which I suppose explains it ...)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Guerrero cheats I can remember:
*Hitting the ring bell to make his opponents think the match was over (Vs. World's Greatest Tag Team)
*Smacking a chair on the ground, tossing it to his opponent after the ref wakes up
*Checking on Chyna and taking her title, after demanding to be let in her match to protect her.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

George Kaplan posted:

What's Droz like as a talker? I thought he was always kinda like a more punky/metal-y Stone Cold. I'm surprised he's not taken a commentating role, the WWE would get a lot of cred for having a disabled on-screen talent (well, until someone asked why he was disabled ... which I suppose explains it ...)

He was nothing as a talker and in no possible way like Stone Cold. They would not have gotten much publicity and you forget any of it would have to mention the little "broke his neck wrestling" part. Also, travel isn't exactly for a quadrapalegic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hirams Bitch posted:

I thought JR had a couple strokes as a result of his Bell's Palsy, and that's what led to the permanent facial paralyzation?

I don't know about the initial case, but the second attack was stress-caused (he woke up the day after his Mom had died and couldn't move the right side of his face), and it was pretty brutal, which is why he was slurring his words from his return in March 1999 at WrestleMania XV until whenever he came back ... mid-1999? I forget. I'm pretty sure the third attack (which, thank God, he seems to have recovered from) was rather minor, but he'll always deal with some difficulties with the right half of his face. I'm not aware of JR ever having a stroke.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Golden Bee posted:

Guerrero cheats I can remember:
*Hitting the ring bell to make his opponents think the match was over (Vs. World's Greatest Tag Team)
*Smacking a chair on the ground, tossing it to his opponent after the ref wakes up
*Checking on Chyna and taking her title, after demanding to be let in her match to protect her.

*Tossing a chair into the ring, when the ref takes it and throws it out, he used the title belt on his opponent.
* In a handicap match with the Bashams, whipped the referee with Shaniqua's whip, handed it to Danny Basham. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6z93O9pD1g

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 6, 2011

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

George Kaplan posted:

He'd have to stick to just studio stuff since he wouldn't be able to get out of the way live.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

C. Everett Koop posted:

He'd have to stick to just studio stuff since he wouldn't be able to get out of the way live.

Also nothing livens up the crowd more than seeing a guy who can no longer walk due to the very thing you're about to try and enjoy watching wheel himself down the entrance ramp. Then again they let Steve Young commentate on football and I think that's about the strongest case for post-concussion syndrome, so what do I know.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch

El Duke posted:

Also nothing livens up the crowd more than seeing a guy who can no longer walk due to the very thing you're about to try and enjoy watching wheel himself down the entrance ramp.

But...he PUKES!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Where would I order Raven's Secrets of the Ring DVD? It sounds interesting and I doubt I can find it in a $10 bin at Wal-Mart.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dont get the posts in this thread about having to greeting people you work with as a frat boy thing? Especially when your life is in danger while you are working with them.
It's just kind of the really rigid etiquette of it all, the way they have to do everything precisely x way which really doesn't account for any type of personal traits or nuances. It makes the whole thing seem very inorganic, forced and sterile, chalking someone down to disrespectful just because they don't follow these procedures seems utterly ridiculous to me. I understand that trust and familiarity is essential when you're putting this kind of trust in someone else to ensure your safety as best as possible, but that can certainly be achieved without a hand shake.

They're one step away from all wearing silly robes, really.

KungFu Grip posted:

It was a Guerreros vs Bashams match too. Both Chavo and one of the Bashams were near the Basham tag corner so Eddie tied his tag rope to the top rope so he could walk closer to Chavo and onto the Basham side next to one of the brothers.
What the hell is a tag rope?

I'm going to take a guess and say maybe it's the piece of string tied to a corner turn-buckle and that a wrestler has to hold onto this to make the tag in a tag team match legal to stop them from going too far away from their corner?

It would be amazing if this is correct and I had been a wrestling fan for over a decade and not known these even existed or it's purpose at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

I'm going to take a guess and say maybe it's the piece of string tied to a corner turn-buckle and that a wrestler has to hold onto this to make the tag in a tag team match legal to stop them from going too far away from their corner?

It would be amazing if this is correct and I had been a wrestling fan for over a decade and not known these even existed or it's purpose at least.
Bingo. It's rarely enforced, but during Guerrero matches they made sure to stick to it, so Eddie's tricks would be funnier and get bigger pops.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

El Duke posted:

Then again they let Steve Young commentate on football and I think that's about the strongest case for post-concussion syndrome, so what do I know.

More than you might think.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

I think they're fairly recent. I don't know why there is a need for a piece of string at the turn buckle though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

evale posted:

I think they're fairly recent. I don't know why there is a need for a piece of string at the turn buckle though.

It's part of kayfabe, I think. It's so that you can't make a tag when too far away from your own corner. Like Gaz-L said, it's rarely enforced anymore, but I think that it actually was a more prominent part of matches from the days of yore.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Where would I order Raven's Secrets of the Ring DVD? It sounds interesting and I doubt I can find it in a $10 bin at Wal-Mart.

It's a five volume series of DVDs produced by ROH but they no longer sell it. You can buy used copies off Amazon and Ebay.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

It's part of kayfabe, I think. It's so that you can't make a tag when too far away from your own corner. Like Gaz-L said, it's rarely enforced anymore, but I think that it actually was a more prominent part of matches from the days of yore.

I don't think its that its rarely enforced, as much as it just never really comes up any more because there's not often a good spot that would come from breaking the rule.

I'm wondering if there are any other rules we've forgotten about. I can recall:

- Closed fist strikes are illegal
- You only have until 5/10 (nobody's ever been DQ'd to my recollection) when standing on the corner
- In multi-team tag matches, you MUST lock-up or strike an opponent after tagging in.
- A pin does not count if any body part lies outside the ring (or under the rope, although that might just be WCW post-Benoit winning the title)

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Briefly rolling in the ring doesn't break a count for your opponent. Or at least it shouldn't.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

evale posted:

It's not that they're recent. WWE got rid of them during the attitude era, or perhaps even the new generation era, and brought them back in the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
As someone who started watching wrestling in 1998 it's so bizarre for me to think close fisted strikes once could get you disqualified.

I also have a vague recollection of mounting an opponent and striking them being subject to a ten count.

Then again I watched a lot of Russo era WCW, so I've seen a lot of strange, isolated rules come and go.

Wasn't throwing someone over the top rope once illegal?

I've heard this mentioned a couple of times but during one of them it was said that this was a rule exclusive to a particular company.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 7, 2011