Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

Good stuff indeed, though I hope ICE comes up with some better titles for his upcoming books.

CITY IN THE JUNGLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'd recommend any book with Tehol/Bugg in it, these two deserve their own book.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Complaining that the villains of the tenth book didn't have enough time to develop is very silly when you're praising the second and third book which also had only one book to develop their villains.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

A thousand times this.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Complaining that the villains of the tenth book didn't have enough time to develop is very silly when you're praising the second and third book which also had only one book to develop their villains.

you should think about what you said here

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!
Even though you only get brief glimpses into her thinking, Tavore is one of my favorite characters. I'm most of the way through Reaper's Gale but I'm still a little unclear about how everything unfolded.

As I understand it:

In GoM, Ganoes ends up casting suspicion on the nobles and tarnishes the Paran family name. Sometime after this, Tavore becomes adjunct and a culling of the nobles occurs. Do they ever explain how she ends up getting the position?

In order to prove her loyalty to Laseen, she sends her sister Felisin to the mines but secretly assigns Baudin to protect her. Felisin believes that Tavore is throwing her to the wolves for personal gain, but wouldn't everyone in their family be killed anyway if Tavore doesn't become adjunct?

Her character is especially compelling because your initial impression is that she's a cold-hearted bitch and you slowly begin to uncover that maybe that's not really true. Since you never get a point of view directly from Tavore, most of what you know about her is biased by Felisin's point of view.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Juaguocio posted:

Good stuff indeed, though I hope ICE comes up with some better titles for his upcoming books.

"I like bars. Topless bars."

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tahirovic posted:

Instead of a korbal bauch miniseries, he should make one for these.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Ika posted:

Instead of a korbal bauch miniseries, he should make one for these.

I would like a series of Erikson-written short stories about Iron Bars running through crowds, effortless breaking the necks of various badasses without breaking his stride.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Another good interview with Erikson: http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/04/steven-erikson-interview.html

Calling it, Lostara Yil is his wife.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Junk Science posted:

I would like a series of Erikson-written short stories about Iron Bars running through crowds, effortless breaking the necks of various badasses without breaking his stride.

I would read this.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Another interview:
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/04/steven-erikson-interview.html

And a couple of questions are mine.

EDIT: ah, sorry, it was just posted...

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Junk Science posted:

That was one of my favorite scenes in the series. He pops out, throws a punch and keeps going like nothing happened.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Abalieno posted:

Another interview:
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/04/steven-erikson-interview.html

And a couple of questions are mine.

EDIT: ah, sorry, it was just posted...

I love this, especially considering that we were arguing about it just a few pages ago:

quote:

- Is there enough information dropped along in the series for the fans to piece together, with some degree of accuracy, who Quick Ben really is?

No.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kjoery posted:

So I've been reading Memories of Ice, and I got to the point where Toc derped off with Panon.

Specifically:
"Make sweet love to me you lopsided cyclops you!!!" -Envy
"Your subtle undertones are no match for me, sorceress." -Toc
...A couple minutes later...
"Welp, I'm pretty much useless here, so I'll go run off with this cannibalizing horde of fantatics because :downs:" -Toc
"hello i am dust" -Tool

Why? Why would Toc do that? Will it be explained? I know he was being angsty because everyone's power exceeded his, but come on.

\/\/I guess that makes sense. Thanks!
Yeah I agree with Snappe, I just re-read this last night since I'm reading MoI again. Toc was both scared shitless of being turned into some kind of slave by Envy, and he thought his best chance to reach the Malazans was by blending into the fanatics. Unfortunately, fate was also pushing him in the same direction and he of course ends up all buddy-buddy with the KCCM matriarch. He really didn't give a poo poo about being outgunned by everybody, that's pretty much par for the course for his character in every situation he runs into until he ends up forced into a role later on..

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
- Is there enough information dropped along in the series for the fans to piece together, with some degree of accuracy, who Quick Ben really is?

No.

This is one of the cases where I need to know more. We understand why so many people are as powerful as they are. Rake, Ruin, Stormy and Gesler and so on. And I do understand needing to leave Ben as an enigma for a good long time, but I really hope at some point Erickson gives us some insight into who Quick Ben really is.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Phummus posted:

No.

This is one of the cases where I need to know more. We understand why so many people are as powerful as they are. Rake, Ruin, Stormy and Gesler and so on. And I do understand needing to leave Ben as an enigma for a good long time, but I really hope at some point Erickson gives us some insight into who Quick Ben really is.

He'll string us along for years until it turns out that, ta-da, QB is an illusory manifestation along the lines of Nefarious Bredd.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I'm thinking that of all the characters in MBotF, he's one of the most likely to end up having some part in the Karsa Trilogy. He's got his fingers in a lot of pots.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Nice Boy posted:

I'm thinking that of all the characters in MBotF, he's one of the most likely to end up having some part in the Karsa Trilogy. He's got his fingers in a lot of pots.

TCG spoilersIf anything Calm should've been one of the characters involved in the Karsa trilogy instead of being decapitated by Ubala Pung. Another big fat hint about the nature of Karsa's destiny when she was freed by Karsa back in House of Chains, it was another plot-thread that could've been picked up. Instead it was wasted.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Boogle posted:

TCG spoilersIf anything Calm should've been one of the characters involved in the Karsa trilogy instead of being decapitated by Ubala Pung. Another big fat hint about the nature of Karsa's destiny when she was freed by Karsa back in House of Chains, it was another plot-thread that could've been picked up. Instead it was wasted.

I wouldn't say it was wasted...

I think it was meant to be a statement of sorts. It was very, very deliberate.

From what I make out, with her thinking it's Karsa at first, her predictions that she'd be his downfall, and her asking his friends to betray him, only for them to end up in a position to do just that in the most lethal way, I think it's a statement on destiny. On how we're not tied to it. Nothing can ever truly be forseen. We all know she'd face Karsa, his sword would shatter as his friends "stood aside", and she'd quite possibly kill him. Instead we have her killed, and not even by Karsa himself but rather a follower of his. It's both a comment on destiny and one final word on the whole "old vs new" theme that's ran through the series. The meanest mofo from a few thousand years ago might wake up to find itself barely a threat in the new world.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Karsa would have beaten the crap out of her with his bare hands and everyone knows it. I still like how he resolved that thread just because it was unexpected and fresh.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Boogle posted:

I agree it would have been pretty interesting, however I disagree saying that any instance of Ubala kicking rear end is a waste.
By the way, I still wonder how well Ubala can keep Icarium's anger in check since he doesn't even really know about it and what it can do.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Decius posted:

I agree it would have been pretty interesting, however I disagree saying that any instance of Ubala kicking rear end is a waste.
By the way, I still wonder how well Ubala can keep Icarium's anger in check since he doesn't even really know about it and what it can do.

[spoiler]Knowing Ubala, he probably recognizes that Icarium can, like Draconus, probably kick his rear end, and will aim to keep him as happy as possible by dancing, screwing chickens, eating chickens, screwing then eating chickens, etc...[/spoiler

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
you forgot a closing bracket there :)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Decius posted:

That might be irrelevant if Ublala is as perfect as he seems. Didn't Mappo keep Icarium from going into his rage for all the time they were together, until the Path of Hands at the Azath? He did it by being a good and honest friend for all that time, instead of manipulating him like the Nameless Ones wanted.

If Ublala does a good job, he won't ever have to know Icarium's anger is a thing to be worried about.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I do like the maybe not so big reveal that Shadowthrone was ICE's character and Cotillion is Erikson's. I think phrasing it as 'post-modern fantasy' is a little much, though.

Edit: also this

quote:

epic fantasy literature is the spine of genre (SRD went on to say that in fact it’s the spine of Western Literature)

ahahahahaha

:suicide:

Erikson sounds a little up his own rear end, to tell you the truth.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 9, 2011

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Habibi posted:

He'll string us along for years until it turns out that, ta-da, QB is an illusory manifestation along the lines of Nefarious Bredd.

Did SE bombadil the intarwebs?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I don't think he (Donaldson - it wasn't Erikson who said it) is that far off. Look how much of the literature "canon" has fantastical elements in it, some bordering outright into Epic High Fantasy. And things like the Gilgamesh epos, Homer etc. is pretty much the foundation of much of our literature.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 9, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Decius posted:

I don't think he (Donaldson - it wasn't Erikson who said it) is that far off. Look how much of the literature "canon" has fantastical elements in it, some bordering outright into Epic High Fantasy. And things like the Gilgamesh epos, Homer etc. is pretty much the foundation of much of our literature.

When I think of epic fantasy, I think Lord of the Rings, not the Iliad. While mythology is a hugely important part of Western literature, it's not 'epic fantasy.' Drizzt books and Malazan books are not the newest wave in the foundation of Western literary tradition.

Also Gilgamesh isn't Western.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Well, that's what they mean, though.

Even Tolkien has its origin in a number of antecedent mythologies that were "rewritten" by Tolkien.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

When I think of epic fantasy, I think Lord of the Rings, not the Iliad.

Why? Erikson borrows much more heavily from Homer than Tolkien.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Not really. Mythology still has some basis in fact and is important as a cultural outlet. The Iliad depicts a historical war between two real places at its heart, even if it uses mythical elements to do so, and also depicts the way people of Classical Greece lived. The Malazan world is complete fiction, and I think that is the line between 'fantasy' and 'epic poem.'

I think that's the big difference, and why I'd be incredibly hesitant to imply that 'epic high fantasy' is core to Western literary tradition.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I do like the maybe not so big reveal that Shadowthrone was ICE's character and Cotillion is Erikson's. I think phrasing it as 'post-modern fantasy' is a little much, though.

Edit: also this

ahahahahaha

:suicide:

Cotillion is a perfect fit for Erikson. They both seem to dwell overmuch on the negative side of life and the consequences of their own actions, and both could use some cheering up.

I was kind of confused by that interview too- Erikson seems to ignore several questions in order to make grandiose statements (which I must confess I skipped over- sorry Steve, but I've had just about enough of your verbosity at this point), and he seems to have a pretty lofty opinion of himself and his writing. "Post-modern fantasy?" Give me a break. Malazan is good, but it's not that good.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 9, 2011

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
quote != edit

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Decius posted:

Mappo thinks alot about his role in protecting Icarium, and how it was heartbreaking for him because he knew Icarium's tragic history. In that sense, Ubala is the perfect guardian for Icarium. He's innocent.

Regarding the story arc of the whole series, I'm not sure myself. I haven't read the early books in a while now, but from what I remember, there is talk of justice throughout the entire series. People abdicating responsibility to gods, and the gods not responding. Then the Crippled God comes along and actively seeks worshippers, and just gives to people. I think that's why he was an "alien" god, and why Koryk breaks down when he sees Cotillion killing him; this is the kind of god people want but he simply can't exist in their world. The Bridgeburners forsake all this and just do their own thing. Then Tavore comes along and directs that freedom towards the greater good. I do think there should have been more emphasis on the Crippled God throughout the series, along with the Forkrul Assail. Some more POV from the Forkrul Assail would have fleshed things out a bit, but I suppose Erikson wanted to make it a story personal to the Malazans.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

I was kind of confused by that interview too- Erikson seems to ignore several questions in order to make grandiose statements (which I must confess I skipped over- sorry Steve, but I've had just about enough of your verbosity at this point), and he seems to have a pretty lofty opinion of himself and his writing. "Post-modern fantasy?" Give me a break. Malazan is good, but it's not that good.

so, "post-modern" means "good" to you?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
while I'd say that postmodern literature is pretty much the best you could read of the Western canon of literature, I think he meant that Malazan is good, but it's not good enough to create a whole new genre or anything.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Self-insert characters aren't exactly groundbreaking in the fantasy genre.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Azure_Horizon posted:

while I'd say that postmodern literature is pretty much the best you could read of the Western canon of literature, I think he meant that Malazan is good, but it's not good enough to create a whole new genre or anything.

Pretty much this. There are parts of the series that are obviously influenced by postmodernism, but there are also parts that are clearly taken straight from the author's GURPS campaigns, with no subtext beyond "here's some cool fantasy stuff." I'm not trying to put down Malazan excessively here because I do think Erikson has accomplished something extraordinary with the series, but he ain't exactly Thomas Pynchon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

ah, i misinterpreted your sentence. i see what you're saying now.