Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

The worst though was some guy who thought he'd be clever and try to buy a 5 cent piece of candy with a $20 bill. I refused to just break the bill and after about a minute or so of deliberation in his car he came in with this brilliant scheme. There are few times when I've been :smug: and proud of it but that was one of them.

I may have misunderstood you here, but what was his brilliant scheme? The way you tell it he tried to buy the candy, you refuse, he sits in his car for a minute, then comes in and... something?

Edit - Ah sorry, it's late, having read your post again I'm guessing you meant he first came in and just asked you to make change for him without any purchase? If so I really hate that. I never ever do it, I always buy at least something if I'm desperate for change, and even then ask if it will be a problem first.

Robzor McFabulous fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

silversiren posted:

These are the people who obviously have never worked a day of retail in their life. They were born with a silver spoon in their mouth or they know people who know people and never had to work retail. We retail people, we understand, and at least I think we don't act like complete dipshits when we're the customers.

I used to hate people walking in trying to make change of their $100 bill with a $5 purchase. Even now I don't bother asking cashiers at the shop to take out $100 in 20 and 10 dollar bills - I instead walk into the bank and get them to do it. Because it's the banks job and they're not going to run out of change for the next few hours.

Seriously, it takes all of 10 minutes just to stand in the queue at the bank and ask the teller if they will give you $x in whatever denomination you like or change out a bill for you. Hell, if you use a cash budget like I do, you can organise this so it only happens once a fortnight or once a month. I'm still bewildered that customers think that they're entitled to bank service at a supermarket or chemists simply because they are able to get cash out and "hurp they have cash in the drawer".

froglet fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 7, 2011

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

froglet posted:

I used to hate people walking in trying to make change of their $100 bill with a $5 purchase. Even now I don't bother asking cashiers at the shop to take out $100 in 20 and 10 dollar bills - I instead walk into the bank and get them to do it. Because it's the banks job and they're not going to run out of change for the next few hours.

Seriously, it takes all of 10 minutes just to stand in the queue at the bank and ask the teller if they will give you $x in whatever denomination you like or change out a bill for you. Hell, if you use a cash budget like I do, you can organise this so it only happens once a fortnight or once a month. I'm still bewildered that customers think that they're entitled to bank service at a supermarket or chemists simply because they are able to get cash out and "hurp they have cash in the drawer".

People are lazy and retarded.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Well, I went out to dinner last night with the only roommate I had in college that I give a poo poo about. We both went to college 80 miles from where we are now and ended up settling down in the same area. Go figure. Anyway, he's working in sales for a local company who provides affordable medical imaging software and equipment to hospitals and doctor's offices, and apparently they're in need of tech support folks who don't have the standard tech support knowledge. Their main problem is that they have all these super cocky tech degree uber-geeks who think they know everything about everything pissing off their clients. And when clients are pissed off, it gets to the manager, and then he's pissed off. But in reality, it's a proprietary software- you can't go to school for that poo poo. Plus, they apparently think they can come in whenever they want to and they have a lot of problems with lateness. What they NEED are educated folks with customer service backgrounds and good people skills to mellow things out and escalate things to the tech gurus only if they have to. He says I'd be perfect there, so he's putting pressure on the support manager to give me a call. He put my resume in his hands today, so we'll see where it takes us. He's gotten me an interview at the company before for an unrelated position, but that was a year ago and they never ended up hiring anyone for it anyway. It was for some VIP Account Manager position that they just merged with another department instead of bringing anyone in.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Good luck, TShields! Networking is an amazing thing.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Good luck, TShields! Networking is an amazing thing.

Thanks! When my fiance's best friend tried to help with the Cafe Press job, I don't think she was really pushing like this guy will. He's got so much drat charisma! He was destined for sales. It helps that he comes from a wealthy family. His father is the Senior VP of some branch of Alcatel-Lucent here in Raleigh, but for being so well off this kid is so down to earth. And he's gotten me an interview before, maybe he can pull it off again...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My wife was watching a show on TLC last night called Extreme Couponing. It's about people getting thousands of dollars of groceries for pennies on the dollar. These people were buying so much that they had to split orders up because they were going over the register's scan limit (I didn't even know this was a thing!), and it took hours to check them out.

Have any of you dealt with this before? I can't even imagine :negative:

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
In the past 6 weeks the mall I work at has had a shooting and a fire where everyone had to be evacuated.

Hell ya

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Ornamented Death posted:

Nothing that bad because I've thankfully worked at places with adamant coupon policies, but I have once had a woman exceed the transaction limit which surprised even the manager that one existed. It took me 20 minutes to fully ring her out after she spent 30 minutes shopping. The worst part is that she didn't enter the store until 5 minutes to closing.

Another time was that I had a guy in the gas station I worked in try to give me 8 bottle caps and say that would get him a free soda. I then pointed to the same place on the bottle and told him he needed to use the codes and print out a coupon online. I don't get how people have such a hard time with technology... He was only about middle aged too.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Our coupon ladies come in during the 9-10 p.m. hour. We close at 10, so they come so there aren't any crowds. Problem is, they spend all their time on the aisles fiddling with their coupons and planning their attack. Our lights are on a timer, which we've thankfully set to exactly 10 p.m. as a "get the gently caress out" to anyone who is still shopping. EVERY TIME they use the lights going out as their cue to come check out. You realize this means we're closed, right? I don't have to do poo poo for you. And now you want me to spend 20 minutes ringing up a half dozen different orders to maximize your coupon output? Goddamnit.. I mean, I realize some stores- like Target, for example- will have their employees stay after closing time to help clean up and front-face. At my store, when the lights go out, the door is locked and the alarm is being set. But they just laugh and say "Oh, good, I won't be holding up the line now!" :haw:

My record is closing at 10:00, locking up, putting drawers away, bag checks, clocking out, alarm set, and in the car driving away by 10:02. My employees love me. The manager has stayed until 10:20 vacuuming the store when he didn't get a chance to do it during the 9-10 hour, but then he's going to bitch at us for working through our breaks when we go over our hours for the week? gently caress that.

Ugh, my buddy's company needs to call me QUICK. He said it might be a couple weeks because the manager is going to see about getting rid of some of the dipshits first. Fingers crossed that I survive that long...

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

TShields posted:

My record is closing at 10:00, locking up, putting drawers away, bag checks, clocking out, alarm set, and in the car driving away by 10:02. My employees love me.

I was REALLY hoping you were about to say "We turned up the next morning to find an old lady sleeping in one of the aisles, gripping a handful of coupons" or something similar. :v:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

My wife was watching a show on TLC last night called Extreme Couponing. It's about people getting thousands of dollars of groceries for pennies on the dollar. These people were buying so much that they had to split orders up because they were going over the register's scan limit (I didn't even know this was a thing!), and it took hours to check them out.

Yeeeeeeep. On my register though it doesn't force us to split orders, we just have to get a manager to approve it. But yea, I've had ladies come through with a literal 3" binder full of coupons, and hand me around sixty to seventy at a time. They never get the wrong item though, so it's easy as hell to scan them all. Like you said, they usually get a whole cart worth of stuff and just end up paying tax.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

What I don't understand about people like that is how they can go through all that stuff before it goes bad. Forty boxes of pasta and forty bottles of sauce? That's a lot of fuckin' pasta, but I guess if you eat it two or three times a week you'll finish it off.

The one that really got me was people buying dozens of tubes of toothpaste. My wife and I brush as recommended by our dentist and we still had to throw away half of the twelve pack we got at Sam's a couple years back because it was past the expiration date. I could understand if they were buying it and donating it to homeless shelters, but they were really goddamn proud of their sixty year supply of toothpaste that was going to all go bad in two years or so.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Some of those people buy things just because they're on sale, you know, that whole "spend money to save money" bullshit. I haven't seen the show but someone where I worked watched the previews (our DM was so worried about people trying to copy the poo poo on the show, he sent out an urgent email to every store in the district watching out for these insane wackjobs) and said some woman has stock shelves in her room where she puts all the poo poo that she buys that doesn't fit in her kitchen. She bought something like 40 tubes of deodorant. Think of how often you have to buy deodorant. that would probably last her several lifetimes.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Some of these people are probably reselling this stuff, or giving it as gifts, or shipping it to other countries.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I walked into work today with the intention of giving my notice, but my co-workers were extremely nice and apologized up and down for being a dick earlier in the week where I practically lost it and decided I was finally done. I sat down with my favorite manager anyway, and told him I was planning on leaving. He basically said "I don't blame you, you're good at your job, but you don't seem happy at all to be here. You put on a good face for the customers, but I can tell you're not happy at all. You do your job well and we'll be hosed without you, but do what you have to do". Why couldn't more managers be perceptive and caring.

The problem besides the stress from having an insane workload due to understaffing is my co-workers. Because 3 guys have the responsibilities of what should be 6, there's tons for us to do. The other 2 guys are used to it, having spent most of their career in retail. I'm just not good at juggling 10 things at once. I inevitably make mistakes, and they overreact and berate me. They're actually my superiors, so it's not like they don't have the right to. It's one thing to point out mistakes, it's another to spend tons of time nitpicking. The problem is that the next day, they apologize for being dicks, and realizing that they blew my not initialing the 3rd page of a work order out of proportion. I accept their apology and feel better knowing that I didn't really gently caress up. I feel like an abused spouse that keeps coming back.

I had the resolve to finally give my notice today, but my co-workers went into a speech about how I'm a good worker and my skills and personality make up for any small mistakes I might make due to my inexperience. I'm just too soft :(

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Ornamented Death posted:

Forty boxes of pasta and forty bottles of sauce?

Not that I'm defending the couponers, but you realise pasta has a very long shelf life right? I buy my pasta in huge 3KG bags and it takes me the best part of a year to go through one. So long as you keep it dry and covered it's not going to go off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The worst part is the waiting.

My friend is a driver for a delivery company and apparently she pissed off some gods this week: on Wednesday someone hit her delivery car (company owned). Not her fault. That's good! Bad is that she hit someone yesterday with her rental van. That's bad. So two accidents in two days. She's pretty shaken up that she'll be fired for this. Doesn't help that the head manager is out of town for a month either.

Good news: the cop either felt bad for her, or the guy whose car she hit convinced him to go easy on her, because he didn't ticket her. It was a partial fender bender when everyone on the road hit their brakes at once.

However, since this was a rental car she hit up (both cars are, I think, driveable after), she is paranoid about having to pay for the rental and was told to take the next few days off work to calm down. The step-in manager can't give her any info about the probability of her having a job after this, what will happen to the rental car, etc.

Other than losing her job, she doesn't have the points on her license to worry about, or her own insurance rates going up. No one was hurt in either accident. Technically, from a manager POV, since she wasn't ticketed for the second one, this would just be bad luck of getting into two accidents in two days. Which is probably a fireable offense? Anyone here a delivery driver?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

One of our newer employees, who was a transfer from another store, managed to get scammed out of $100 a couple days ago. Thank God it was on my day off. I hope these assholes who live by scamming and stealing get what they deserve some day. Shoplifters get off far too easy in my opinion. If you're going out and stealing shelves of diet pills or heartburn medication, you shouldn't get a slap on the wrist. That just shows them that even if they screw up and get caught they can be back and trying again in a few days. The money they make from reselling from a couple successful hits is more than they're fined.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

It amazes me what people think they can wear in public when it gets warm outside. Some people don't need to wear certain things. (But I'm happy to stare if you're hot. Just sayin'.. Some people got it, some don't!)

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Robzor McFabulous posted:

A friend of mine used to work in a small coffee shop, and he had a woman come in, first customer of the morning, and offer a twenty pound note for a £2 coffee. My mate asked if she had any change since he'd just opened and didn't have much. She said "I do, but I don't want to give it to you!" So he went to the back office safe, got a couple of bags of ten pence pieces and slooooowly counted out £18 in change for her. I'm told the look on her face was priceless, and she went ahead and scooped the whole lot into her purse and left without a word.

Haha, this is my new retail fantasy.

I used to operate a little ice cream cart in the middle of town and so many people assumed I was a walking change machine. It's 11am and the only money I have on me is a handful of change in my apron, so why are you surprised I can't take a £50 note for your £1 ice cream?

Most of the time it was a fun job, because I got to stand in the sun all day and buying ice cream generally makes people happy, but the change thing really got on my tits.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Check for $5.95 at 10 minutes after close. Was check already filled out? Guess. Was driver's license readily accessible? Guess.

"Oh, I know you people just hate checks, but I HAVE to use them or else I don't know how much money I have! Tee hee!"

1. I didn't ask. 2. Die.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

spite house posted:

Check for $5.95 at 10 minutes after close. Was check already filled out? Guess. Was driver's license readily accessible? Guess.

"Oh, I know you people just hate checks, but I HAVE to use them or else I don't know how much money I have! Tee hee!"

1. I didn't ask. 2. Die.

To all check users:

Keep checkbook ledger with you.
Use debit card.
When cashier is swiping your card, quickly jot down your total.
Congrats! No one had to see your stupid ID, and you were done in under a minute.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

To all check users:

Use debit card.
Congrats! No one had to see your stupid ID, and you were done in under a minute.

Tell that to the Midwest.

"I ain't using no debit card. Them hackers steal your digits and then they steal yer money! And I don't trust no internet neither. GET THIS HERE IN THE STORE."

These are people who think that ordering something off the internet is unsafe. While there are valid security concerns in some places, they distrust the internet because they are the type of people who punched the monkey in that ad and never got their free ipod.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

To all check users:

Use debit card.
I have racked my brains trying to think of a simple, customer-friendly way to explain this, but it's not really my place and I just know I'd get grief for it. Ugh.

While I'm at it, can I just say how much I dislike when customers overexplain about the usually stupid, needless poo poo they're about to do? I don't care why you're still using checks like it's 1974. I don't care that you need all your greeting cards in separate plastic bags because they might get dirty in your car. I don't care why you decided not to buy the seventeen things you brought to my register. All I care about is that you're inconveniencing me, and that it's going to be that much more of a hassle to get you the gently caress out of my line. In fact the more you explain, presumably because you don't want the register monkey to judge you as a person, the more I WILL judge you. I understand that we're all extremely isolated and alienated from one another in modern culture, but seriously, SHUT UP.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

bartlebee posted:

Tell that to the Midwest.

There are stupid people, everywhere. No need to region lock it.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

There are stupid people, everywhere. No need to region lock it.

Touche. I'm from the Bible belt, so it hits close to home how many people are straight-up adversarial to technology.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
NO WE ARE STILL OUT OF IPADS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Apocalypse Please posted:

NO WE ARE STILL OUT OF IPADS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

And even if we get them in, its one per customer. I will gladly poo poo on your attempts to bypass this rule by going to another associate or manager to have them ring you up. Looks like you aren't reselling all of these for a crazy profit.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
A woman had a rant at me yesterday about the type of gravy that should be served with hot chips/fries.

Apparently, chicken gravy is where it's at. Beef gravy is not acceptable.

I've been making & selling marshmallow bunnies leading up to Easter, just to get in the spirit of things. One customer we have will only eat my marshmallow when it is in the shape of a log.
Not a bunny.
Not an egg.
Just a rectangle.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

My fiance's objective is to be a super coupon person, so we shall see.

elf pr0n posted:

In the past 6 weeks the mall I work at has had a shooting and a fire where everyone had to be evacuated.

Hell ya

I had a tornado touchdown 1 mile from my mall (Tennessee).

In other cell phone news, I picked up and transferred a crappy red Samsung phone from another of my stores to my store that I manage specifically. I know i brought it in, I know i scanned it in. Now it is no where to be found. This could be really lovely, as even a crappy phone is worth $200.Thankfully I just sold 12 phones (15% of monthly quota) in one day yesterday, so they can't be that mad at me!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

My fiance's objective is to be a super coupon person, so we shall see.

I had a tornado touchdown 1 mile from my mall (Tennessee).

In other cell phone news, I picked up and transferred a crappy red Samsung phone from another of my stores to my store that I manage specifically. I know i brought it in, I know i scanned it in. Now it is no where to be found. This could be really lovely, as even a crappy phone is worth $200.Thankfully I just sold 12 phones (15% of monthly quota) in one day yesterday, so they can't be that mad at me!

Yeah, that sounds familiar... RadioShack?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
So it's that time of year again when we start asking for donations for different things. This time it's different, it's something most people have actually heard of and care about, we're asking for donations for March of Dimes.
I'll never understand why people won't even bother to donate one dollar but they'll spend $200 on groceries and then ask for $50 cash back. I only had $5 in my checking account and I donated twice so now I'm broke. I try to get people who have babies, since I assume they'd understand, but even the one lady that has 3 small children and apparently is having another (she bought a pregnancy test) didn't donate, but bought $130 in groceries and asked for $50 back.
At least this time most people haven't gotten extremely pissed when we ask but at least let me finish my question before you scream "NO!" in my face, how rude.

I did have a moment that made me smile last night. We were only like $8 short of our $400 goal for the night, so we were explaining it to everyone that was coming through the line, since it was like 9:50 and we closed at 10. So one of the very last people that came through just threw a bunch of money at the only other cashier that was there and jogged out. $18 in total. :unsmith:

(Also I got offered a ride in a P-51 Mustang but that was my own personal joy, not shared by everyone else.)

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

silversiren posted:

I'll never understand why people won't even bother to donate one dollar but they'll spend $200 on groceries and then ask for $50 cash back. I only had $5 in my checking account and I donated twice so now I'm broke.

Wow, keep judging people bro. Maybe people don't want to donate to March of Dimes because it is a lovely charity with a ton of overhead. Maybe people donate to causes they find more worth like feeding people literally starving to death in Africa. Maybe people don't like being asked to donate every time they buy some groceries. Did you cite examples of people declining to donate and asking for cash back because 'Oh they have money, why haven't they donated all of it'.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I hate being asked for money at a checkout - I already have named charities that I support, and I really really don't have any surplus money.

Although someone might spend $200 on groceries and ask for $50 cash, it doesn't mean that they have extra money. Maybe that $200 shop is going to last them for several weeks. Maybe every cent of the $50 cash is already allocated. Maybe they've been to 10 different shops that day and each shop has asked them for a couple of bucks and they can't afford to give to each one.

You can't really judge people unless you know their personal circumstances. I understand that it sucks for you as a cashier, to have to ask and keep receiving the rejection, but I think condemning people for not wanting to take part in something that's forced on them at the till is pretty weak.

(I also think that not donating to charity at all is pretty weak, for what it's worth.)

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Not giving something to those who need it more than you, if you can spare it, is pretty lovely, yes. But I must agree, it's just as lovely to judge people who don't donate to whatever charity you're asking about. You don't know them, they might give plenty to other causes. And just because they're asking for fifty cashmoneys back with their shopping doesn't mean they're going to go home and dance around their money pile while others suffer.

As has been said, it sucks when people are rude to you, it shouldn't happen. But condemning them is just as bad.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If I gave to everybody who asked, I'd be living on the streets.

You seriously can't judge people from lack of donating at your checkout.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Ok I admit I am wrong to judge. It's mostly the people who get rude about it even after spending a boatload of money that kind of get me miffed about it, but I don't condemn every single person who comes through my line and donate. It's just as easy to say "No thanks".
If I didn't -have- to ask, I wouldn't be asking.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Since I already live below the poverty level income-wise, I just can't justify it. I'll throw a few coins in a bucket if I have them, but I'm broke enough as it is. More so now that local gas is $3.75...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I hate charity drives in retail stores because much of the 'technique' is to hope that people feel peer-pressured into donating. If you try to guilt people into donating don't be surprised when some of them take offence.

I mean personally, I've donated roughly ~$150 to charity so far this year what with Japan and the charities I normally support and that figure will keep on rising as the year goes by. A grand total of gently caress all of that was donated to someone begging on behalf of a charity in a retail store, and yet I still feel uncomfortable refusing those people (despite knowing that I'm already doing my bit for charity) because there's always some holier-than-thou idiot who'll be judging you or, even worse, actually getting their self-righteous smug-face on and passing comment - which is when I really fly off the handle.

I guess what I'm getting at is: I don't like shopping to start with so anything which makes the experience even less enjoyable can take a running jump. If someone asks for a donation they'll get a polite but firm "no". If they take it further than that then they can expect me to become hostile. I have no time for people who expect me to decide whether their charity is worthy or not while I'm trying to carry my groceries out of the door.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 10, 2011