Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

Okay fine then, just 10x10 map boards. 100 map boards. Is that so much to ask? :(

Nope, not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

landcollector posted:

That's a mission area of 36 million m2! Also known as a 3.72822x 3.72822 mile area (or 13.899 miles2). That's an insanely huge mission zone.

Wolfram puts that at about 1/3 the size of walt disney world. Now that would be an interesting field of battle.

VVV

Arrow IV only goes 9(c)/8(is) sheets (1/4 km). Cruise missile 120s (largest artillery I know of) only go 150 sheets.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 6, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Longinus00 posted:

Wolfram puts that at about 1/3 the size of walt disney world. Now that would be an interesting field of battle.

They all laughed at the Naga with its Arrow IVs... BUT WHO IS LAUGHING NOW?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

There is an interesting cognitive dissonance present. A 12-15 meter tall war machine firing high powered beams of death standing next to either the Disney Castle, Space Mountain, or the It's A Small World ride :commissar:. I leave it to the rest of you to determine what should happen to the It's A Small World ride...

V V V If I had any artistic ability, I would try to do that.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

There is an interesting cognitive dissonance present. A 12-15 meter tall war machine firing high powered beams of death standing next to either the Disney Castle, Space Mountain, or the It's A Small World ride :commissar:. I leave it to the rest of you to determine what should happen to the It's A Small World ride...

Now I want to see a picture of a Grasshopper sitting on top of Epcot while a Mad Cat goes trundling past Space Mountain.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Now I want to see a picture of a Grasshopper sitting on top of Epcot while a Mad Cat goes trundling past Space Mountain.

I want a Hatchetman hiding in the mine cart ride in epcot now :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

I want a Hatchetman hiding in the mine cart ride in epcot now :colbert:

Death Commandos of the Carribean.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Death Commandos of the Carribean.

"You'd best start believing in war crimes Ms. Turner...you're going to be a victim of one." Excuse the paraphrased line from the 1st PotC movie, I couldn't resist.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 6, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

All I can think of when someone mentions 'mechs and Disney is this:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

raverrn posted:

This I can get behind.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

raverrn posted:

Judging by the skull, is that an Atlas? If so, it certainly looks a lot better with some meat on it's bones (so to speak) than it normally does. Or maybe because it's more squat and stout.

Either way, I approve.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

landcollector posted:

"You'd best start believing in war crimes Ms. Turner...you're going to be a victim of one." Excuse the paraphrased line from the 1st PotC movie, I couldn't resist.
Grim.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Or maybe because it's more squat and stout.

It has teeny tiny legs in that picture.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Most battlemechs looks better when drawn by someone who is an actual artist/dude with talent instead of whoever made those horrible stilted linearts.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Most battlemechs looks better when drawn by someone who is an actual artist/dude with talent instead of whoever made those horrible stilted linearts.

Pretty much. some of those things look like something I would doodle in my highschool notebooks.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
It doesn't help that some of the mechs just look straight up goofy and no amount of artistic talent can fix them. Case in point, the Yeoman.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veyrall posted:

It doesn't help that some of the mechs just look straight up goofy and no amount of artistic talent can fix them. Case in point, the Yeoman.

Guys they wanted me to put missiles on it.

IS THIS ENOUGH MISSILES YOU GUYS?

Also better make sure that all the missiles are sticking out so they can get hit with stray gunfire easier.

Seriously, TRO:3060. You gave us the Hauptmann. Did you see how badass it was and just say "Good work! Just do whatever else you want for the rest of the book." or something?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was actually comparing it (mentally) to the Mechwarrior variants of the Atlas, where to me it seems overly static and cumbersome compared to a drawing like that.

The Atlas looks like a sarcophagus compared to other mechs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

Seriously, TRO:3060. You gave us the Hauptmann. Did you see how badass it was and just say "Good work! Just do whatever else you want for the rest of the book." or something?
Yes. They did.

Also: I'll just leave this here.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

Yes. They did.

...So. It's YOU.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Defiance Industries posted:

...So. It's YOU.

That Mech looks like he's armed with one of those cup dispensers on a water cooler.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Trast posted:

That Mech looks like he's armed with one of those cup dispensers on a water cooler.

That's because it is. That's not actually a 'mech, it's a novelty humaniform office robot that dispenses styrofoam cups out of its arm holder and fills up people's empty cups with more cold water. Those four holes on its chest? Refill hook-ups.

They just used photoshop to make it look a hell of a lot bigger than a man and a real 'mech.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Trast posted:

Snow-cones, actually. Mech pilots gotta keep cool.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Veyrall posted:

That Yeoman? That's actually just 2 LRM20's. Only you get to see how utterly silly the concept is. Where's the 5 reloads for those 2 LRM20s, Yeoman?

I wanna see the quad LRM20 Vulture variant drawn like the Yeoman.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

DatonKallandor posted:

That Yeoman? That's actually just 2 LRM20's. Only you get to see how utterly silly the concept is. Where's the 5 reloads for those 2 LRM20s, Yeoman?

I count 25 LRMs on each side. Isn't that 2 LRM 15s and 2 LRM 10s?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You are correct.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

...But that's a Panther. Why is someone making a Marik propaganda poster primarily featuring a Combine mech? That's stupid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gotta be an LRM 15 and an LRM 10. We can't have LRM 25s because :downswords:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
It's like the Mech version of a Katyusha.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arglebargle III posted:

Gotta be an LRM 15 and an LRM 10. We can't have LRM 25s because :downswords:

Oh this is easy to explain in canon. "Efficient" programming technique 200 years ago, and the decay of current understanding across worlds of each Great House, means that we're limited to LRM5/10/15/20.

The Clans? They do it out of tradition :smug:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Chronojam posted:

Oh this is easy to explain in canon. "Efficient" programming technique 200 years ago, and the decay of current understanding across worlds of each Great House, means that we're limited to LRM5/10/15/20.

The Clans? They do it out of tradition :smug:

Now explain away how come Ultra versions of autocannons fluff describe it doing pretty much the same thing!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Yes I can't count, don't judge me. But really it's still quite a few LRMs short of one of the real heavy duty missile boats.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Yes I can't count, don't judge me. But really it's still quite a few LRMs short of one of the real heavy duty missile boats.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the heavy duty missile boats in question?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

landcollector posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the heavy duty missile boats in question?

Longbow
Archer
Maddog
Bowman

Most of those are missle boats but there are others that have a bit more, those are off the top of my head

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Axe-man posted:

Longbow
Archer
Maddog
Bowman

Most of those are missle boats but there are others that have a bit more, those are off the top of my head

I like the Archer myself, especially alt. configurations ARC-2R (C), ARC-9M, snd ARC-6S. Another missile boat design is the Viking.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Axe-man posted:

Longbow
Archer
Maddog
Bowman

Salamander
Bombardier
Catapult
Naga

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

raverrn posted:

Is it bad that the first thing I thought upon seeing this image was "Who drew fanart of Zaodai as a Death Commando?"

Arquinsiel posted:

No, YOU shut up!

Interesting site, though I have no idea what some of these posters mean. That said, I must admit this got a good laugh out of me.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Longinus00 posted:

To give you an example of what this Hellbringer might be like, here's (purportedly) the original Hellbringer as published before the official clan tech specs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cool as they are, I've been forced to conclude that the Mk I omnis are bullshit. Why? Because they use machine guns far more intelligently than any other fielded design (other than the Piranha).

Pretty clearly bullshit but I remember people on the BT forums being bizarrely credulous about them. I mean, look at the guy's page about them:

Bullshit webpage posted:

To the best of my knowledge they were printed in the magazine 'Space Gamer' under an article called 'The Clans are Coming' about three to four months before the official release of clan tech, which included filled out record sheets for the 'Mechs, as well as ranges, damage and heat for clan weapons (no tonnages given). [...] If anyone out there has further information on this please contact me, as I can no longer find my original source materiels for these. Last I saw of it were photo-copies of the range chart and four of the original record sheets.

Huh? To the best of your knowledge? You have all the stats for them but can't show us where the stats came from?

Of course religions have been based on less, so it's not like there isn't precedent.

I checked the BT forums a while ago and people were getting worked up about a Comstar sourcebook that also very clearly never existed. It was a massive circle-jerk in half-"remembered" details of a so-called missing sourcebook that nobody actually has a copy of, but they remember seeing at their cousin's house when they were 13.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
That was an awesome thread. Given FASA's history though, that kind of poo poo is just plain believable. There was a story that was regarded as a blatant lie for a while of a dude who happened to wander past the Ral Partha factory when they were tossing out the Unseen models and stuffed his backpack full from the dumpster then ran home to get some garbage bags so he could haul away more, but when he made it back the dumpster had been emptied.

It turned out he was now working for Catalyst.....

Felime posted:

It's like the Mech version of a Katyusha.
No, this is (those are rocket launchers, not LRMs).

W.T. Fits posted:

Interesting site, though I have no idea what some of these posters mean. That said, I must admit this got a good laugh out of me.
I totally lost my poo poo at that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
How could you forget the mother of all LRM-boats, the Viking? Because there's nothing like loading 70 LRM tubes with mine-clearance ammo and firing it all into an infantry company. :black101:

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 7, 2011

• Locked thread