Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

First, let me see if I've got it straight: the things you are looking to replace came with the headphones? If that's the case, have you tried calling Sennheiser? Good companies will often replace that sort of thing free or for a very low cost.

Honestly I hadn't even thought to try; I usually buy bottom of the barrel headphones so I just toss them if they crap out on me.

I will give the a call in the next few days, thank you for the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

wtftastic posted:

Honestly I hadn't even thought to try; I usually buy bottom of the barrel headphones so I just toss them if they crap out on me.

I will give the a call in the next few days, thank you for the suggestion.

Cool, let us know what they say.

ksr
Aug 4, 2010

ksr posted:

Right now I have two Behringer B2030A's and an Audio Pro B1.36 subwoofer, all plugged directly in to a Xonar DX/XD sound card. I'm considering replacing the sound card with a DAC because of terrible noise when playing some games (same problem with onboard audio), and no real 2.1 mode in the audio drivers (generally using 5.1 in the drivers and stereo in whatever software I'm using works, but for a lot of games that isn't possible).

Anyway, let's take this DAC that DeeVoc bought as an example. Would the following work (without degrading audio quality etc)?
PC -> DAC via USB; DAC -> subwoofer via RCA(?)–banana cable; subwoofer -> speakers via banana–6.3mm/banana–XLR cable.

Ok, I think I've figured this out.

First of all, what I suggested wouldn't work because the output on the DAC is line level and the speaker wire/banana inputs and outputs on the subwoofer are speaker level. (To be honest I'm not even 100% sure on this. All this audio stuff is pretty confusing.)

Anyway, it seems a better way to do this is (since I also figured out that powered speakers' inputs are line level too, duh!):
Sound card -> DAC via spdif; DAC -> speakers via rca-6.3mm cables
Sound card -> subwoofer (just like it is now)
I think I'll buy this Aune DAC.

I don't see a problem with this. Do you?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
Here is a tricky question I can't pin down:

Every so often, my left speaker pops. It sounds like what I would imagine is a quick burst of static discharge. It happens about once every 3-4 minutes. I've tried different sets of speakers, so I know its not the speaker itself. I reseated the cables (source -> amp, amp -> speaker) and it didn't help. Also, I have two sources hooked up, and it only happens when its connected to my PC.

All of the components are hooked up with grounded connections and all of the cables are secure.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Soundcard going bad? Bad cable from the PC->Amp? It worked fine for over a year.

Also, is there any way this could be damaging my speakers or amp?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

bacon! posted:

Every so often, my left speaker pops.

There's an electrical problem somewhere. Easiest to check is wiring: change your left speaker wire with the right one and listen whether the pop moves over. Try also changing your source -> amp cable to a new one if it's 3,5mm to RCA. Since you're sure it's not the speakers, the next likely culprit is your sound card. Sometimes they apparently can cause problems like this. Can you test with another soundcard or better yet, external USB DAC?

quote:

Also, is there any way this could be damaging my speakers or amp?

Yes, it's possible. It's most likely to damage your left speaker.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

Yikes! Its connected to an add-in PCI soundcard; I'll switch it to the onboard sound and see if the problem persists. If that fails, I also have an additional cable.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

There's an electrical problem somewhere. Easiest to check is wiring: change your left speaker wire with the right one and listen whether the pop moves over. Try also changing your source -> amp cable to a new one if it's 3,5mm to RCA. Since you're sure it's not the speakers, the next likely culprit is your sound card. Sometimes they apparently can cause problems like this. Can you test with another soundcard or better yet, external USB DAC?

It's definitely the sound card. I switched to onboard sound and played audio straight for 30 minutes with no popping. I would have definitely never guessed that, as I guess it never occurred to me that a sound card could do that. Thanks!

Now I get to figure it out whether I can fix it or if I have to replace it. Its an old Audigy 2

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

bacon! posted:

Now I get to figure it out whether I can fix it or if I have to replace it. Its an old Audigy 2

If switching the PCI slot doesn't help and making sure no wires touch the board, you have to replace it. Them's the breaks.

WizardShotFood
Jun 18, 2001

Nuking nutrients.
What would cuase mid and high range sound to drop noticably in volume when there is heavy/extended bass in the background? I ask because I've just started using a powered 2.1 setup with my PC whereas I've always used headphones in the past. I've begun to notice that on tracks with a lot of bass, vocals and cymbals etc sort of phase in and out with the bass.

I'd never heard it before and blamed the speakers so in an attempt to recreate the effect I generated a 40hz tone in Audacity and played it behind a track with no bass, sure enough the volume dropped. I then tried the same test using my headphones direct into the soundcard and heard the same, so its not the speakers after all. Is it the soundcard? (Asus Xonar)

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
I just bought a Denon DHT-591BA 5.1 system (Denon AVR-591 receiver with 5.1 Boston Acoustics speaker set). The subwoofer has a standby mode that it enters after not receiving a signal for some period of time and then powers up as soon as signal is detected. It works, but when it wakes up there's an audible pop from the subwoofer that's kind of annoying when watching a movie.

Is that an expected issue with this sort of system or is there something wrong with either the subwoofer or the house power?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Quick question regarding the quality of different audio streaming formats!

I'm a huge fan of online radio to discover new music, and have found a few different formats. For example, the site https://www.di.fm gives me a choice between the following:

256k MP3
128k AAC-Plus
128k WMV

My brain assumes that Bigger=Better, but I couldn't exactly tell a difference. Is any of these formats the "best", or are they all equal?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Lamquin posted:

My brain assumes that Bigger=Better, but I couldn't exactly tell a difference. Is any of these formats the "best", or are they all equal?

They're all lossy formats, but they lose things in a slightly different way. It's more a matter of preference which you like best than actual science.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Quick question for you guys. Which would you consider better: The Polk CS10 or the Pioneer SP-C21? I'm debating between the two. I have a pair of vintage Pioneer speakers as my fronts right now, and will eventually upgrade those to match the center.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

Quick question for you guys. Which would you consider better: The Polk CS10 or the Pioneer SP-C21? I'm debating between the two. I have a pair of vintage Pioneer speakers as my fronts right now, and will eventually upgrade those to match the center.

I currently have the Polk as my center. However, not having another center to compare it to makes it hard to say how 'good' it actually is. Am I disappointed, by no means. However, it is very important to match your center and L R front. That being said, you ether need to go with the polk and upgrade to polk or stick with pioneer and upgrade the pioneers later on.

As mentioned, the CS10 works well, is a little large as the cabinet goes but pairs well with my monitor 30s. Further more is a decent price for the performance.

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 8, 2011

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Oh absolutely. I'm usually in the receiver thread, and am very familiar with making sure that the speakers match up. I've been running a 6.0 set-up for a while now and am slowly upgrading.

The Pioneer center is very cheap, but it looks like a good one, and was hoping someone had some info on them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
ok, I have the chance to grab a set of Pioneer CS-905 speakers for dirt cheap. are they worth $20 and if so do I need a preamp if im hooking them up to a modern stereo?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Basically my setup is this:

My pc has 3.5mm audio out jacks. These are hooked up to a subwoofer that has component audio output. These component cables are booked up to the aux input of a stereo system, which in turn has speaker cable going to the speakers that came with the stereo. My question is, can I replace the small speakers with my new pioneer cs-905s as-is, with no new equipment.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I'm on a mission to find my parents a good set of speakers + sub for their TV. They currently have a 5.1 system to go with their Samsung Full HD flatscreen TV, but the audio system is old and crappy. My mother has problems hearing and I'd like to buy something with clear sound to help her watch TV and DVD. They already have a blu-ray player, but if a home cinema set turns up with that included I'm sure they can give it to my sister or something.

The other requirement I have is that it's NOT 5.1. I don't want the hassle with cables around their house and they don't appreciate real surround sound anyway. I'd like a good 2.1 set. It should have HDMI and a way to connect a wireless headset.

I'm currently looking through all kinds of hardware sites, but just thought to ask here in case anyone has a good recommendation. Budget is 500 euros max (around 600 USD I guess) but cheaper would be better if the quality is good.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Sioux posted:

I'm on a mission to find my parents a good set of speakers + sub for their TV.

Sounds like a soundbar is the best solution.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I've poked around a bit, but couldn't find a thread - do you guys have any recommendations for a cheap 2.1 setup, in the budget of $50-$100? I know it's a lot less than what most people are working around, but I'm a college student so I'm still moving around a lot, and of course don't have much of a budget.

I've been using the JBL Creature II set for the last half decade, but in the last move I must've busted the speaker as there's a lot of hissing the treble now.

I basically use the speakers for listening to music and videogames off my computer, though as I'm getting settled in I'm also thinking about setting up my computer in the living room so I can have some music as I'm doing things around the house. It's a pretty small house, kitchen/living room on the first floor and bathroom/two bedrooms on the second floor.

If y'all could recommend something for my needs and budget, that'd be much appreciated!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The normal suggestions at around that budget (or actually slightly above, but worth it) :

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Harman Kardon SoundSticks

If $100 is your hard limit, you could try something from Logitech. I can't drop any names, however.

You could also go with a T-amp and passive speakers.

Pyle Home PCA1 Mini 2 x 15-Watt Stereo Power Amplifier is around $30 from Amazon. Combine that with a pair of high sensitivity (90dB+) bookshelf speakers and you should do fine. No subwoofer, but you should get a lot better bang per buck on passive speakers. As an added bonus, it's easier to recycle passive speakers into other projects. You can't crank it up too much, though.

Third option is to buy used. Old stereo systems are usually surprisingly good for the asking price.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Jinnigan, if you go with something from Logitech (which might not be a bad idea), make sure you get a system that lets you adjust the subwoofer level independently of the other speakers. I have one 2.1 set that doesn't and it's pretty much useless - the bass is way too boomy for just about anything.

If you can find a Logitech Z-4 or Z-4i 2.1 set (I just picked one up on eBay for $65), I'd recommend that. They don't make them anymore, but they sound surprisingly good for what they are.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a "how to get into FLAC" thread or anything of the sort? I've decided that since I've finally upgraded to fantastic headphones that I need to make the jump to lossless audio files. As a total music nerd it makes total sense. I've just been waiting for large hard drives to get cheaper and they are now dirt cheap.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 13, 2011

Seraphimikey
May 2, 2005
Yo Family In Da Afterlife
I need help deciding between these two setups:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.629879

Klipsch HD 500 5.1 High Definition Theater system
$500
ONKYO TX-NR509 5.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver
$399
Total: $600 (newegg combo deal)

OR

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Home-Theater-Systems/SP-PK51FS
$519
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-920-K-Home-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0039XQL44/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302660172&sr=1-1
$273
Total: $792

The unique Klipsch sound has no affect on which one I purchase as I don't dislike it.
Any help would be appreciated from any one who knows anything about speakers/receivers. I have a medium size living room and will be plugging a Tivo and PS3 into the receiver.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a "how to get into FLAC" thread or anything of the sort? I've decided that since I've finally upgraded to fantastic headphones that I need to make the jump to lossless audio files. As a total music nerd it makes total sense. I've just been waiting for large hard drives to get cheaper and they are now dirt cheap.

If you are looking to get the most out of listening by jumping up to FLAC, make sure you don't cut corners in not having a DAC of some sort or at LEAST a higher-end soundcard. That right there is probably the most important bit to be aware of when making the jump to better listening, and is touched upon a little in the OP.

Aside from that, there really isn't much to say. Foobar is a good player for computer audio, but if you were looking to use your FLACs on the go, you probably need something a little more unusual (and expensive) than an iPod or Zune. For this reason, sticking to 320 or v0 might be the most convenient solution to digital music collections. Of course, every portable music player should be able to handle FLACs to their fullest potential in the near future.

edit: by OP I mean one of the OPs in this sub forum, probably the headphones thread.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 13, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Seraphimikey posted:

I need help deciding between these two setups:

They're both ok. Pioneer setup is better if you listen to music with the setup, otherwise they're about equal. Does either receiver have any features you especially would like to have?

Kilometer Davis posted:

The key to getting nice music out of your equipment is thinking about the whole audio chain. Lossless recording (FLAC) -> decent player (soundcard, DAC) -> decent amp (not absolutely necessary in this case) -> decent reproduction (headphones). FLAC is just a way of encoding audio files: from a practical point of view it's no different than playing back MP3. Of course, less programs support FLAC than MP3. Quality is equal to CD playback, which makes it easy to test whether you can actually hear the difference between 320kbps MP3 and lossless audio.

Is there something specific you'd like to know?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 13, 2011

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I kinda just want a cheap reciever that will power a decent 2.1 or 3.1 setup for movies and music. Will this fit the bill

[url] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115238[/url] ?

How about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168821055866

Im assuming with the second one the 100+100w means you can use two outputs to power a single speaker? Will this work with all speakers? Will it make a difference with a floorstanding setup that costs under 500 bucks?

I also plan on getting a vintage receiver and a set of bookshelfs or floorstanders for my study/turntable lounge. Any recommendations on where to look other than craigslist?

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I kinda just want a cheap reciever that will power a decent 2.1 or 3.1 setup for movies and music.

Both links are broken, but I assume the first is Yamaha RX-V367 which is currently sold out on Newegg. I owned two Sony receivers for little over a decade. They're sturdy and never gave me any problems. I changed one because I wanted a receiver with HDMI and the second because the home theater receiver completely spoiled me with its quality of sound. I wouldn't get a Sony receiver again, at least not without listening to it beforehand.

quote:

Im assuming with the second one the 100+100w means you can use two outputs to power a single speaker? Will this work with all speakers? Will it make a difference with a floorstanding setup that costs under 500 bucks?

I can't get sony.com to work but the keyword you're looking for is "bi-amping". The speakers themselves have to support bi-amping (they must have physical places for two sets of wires) and most likely cheap speakers won't allow it. You should probably look up a tutorial on bi-amping to understand why people do it and what the potential advantages are.

It's possible that the Sony receiver allows for Zone 2 speakers but not for bi-amping.

quote:

I also plan on getting a vintage receiver and a set of bookshelfs or floorstanders for my study/turntable lounge. Any recommendations on where to look other than craigslist?

Try the vintage thread on A/V Arena. They have a lot of good pointers.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Anyone by any chance know more about the LG HB45E?

I'm specifically looking if this set has a 3,5mm headphone jack. I know it's weird to ask for a headphone jack for a speaker/home theatre set but it's for my parents and their TV does not have a jack for a (wireless) headphone.

e: Obviously I checked the specs on the LG website, but that doesn't list it. Two other websites (Dutch) mention that jack however.

Sioux fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 13, 2011

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Cool, I appreciate the advice, and I fixed the links (not sure what happened there...)

Sounds like I need to get a little smarter on home audio before I make any silly decisions, thanks.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there an audio program where I can control playback with a foot-operated pedal, combine tracks from different sources (not synched up, but within a second of each other), and silence tracks (if I want to) as I listen to all the tracks combined?

When I say "combine", I don't mean mix them into one file, but just play them all simultaneously. And even if the tracks aren't perfectly in-sync, I could shave off whatever was necessary to get them close.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

Sioux posted:

Anyone by any chance know more about the LG HB45E?

I'm specifically looking if this set has a 3,5mm headphone jack. I know it's weird to ask for a headphone jack for a speaker/home theatre set but it's for my parents and their TV does not have a jack for a (wireless) headphone.

e: Obviously I checked the specs on the LG website, but that doesn't list it. Two other websites (Dutch) mention that jack however.

The LG website also has the manual. It doesn't look like there's any audio output.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The front L and R outputs on my A/V receiver are dead.

The center channel and L/R surrounds and subwoofer are all outputting.

I checked the speakers and they all work, so the problem is with the receiver.

Can something blow out/overheat etc that wold only effect the front L/R and not the rest of the unit?

It's a Yamaha RX-V663

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

davecrazy posted:

The front L and R outputs on my A/V receiver are dead.

The center channel and L/R surrounds and subwoofer are all outputting.

I checked the speakers and they all work, so the problem is with the receiver.

Can something blow out/overheat etc that wold only effect the front L/R and not the rest of the unit?

It's a Yamaha RX-V663

There's a fuse or two in there, probably blown. Should be easily replaced.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
I just got a Sony HT-SS370 5.1 Theater system and I'm really confused as to how to get my rear speakers wireless. Multiple websites say I need the S-Air transmitter and the rear speaker receiver, while some say I just need the transmitter and not the receiver.

I received it as a gift and the person who got it for me was given a run around about how the Sony stuff works and instead was sold a universal wireless speaker receiver/transmitter by Rocketfish, the model number on it is RF-WHTIB.

Is this going to work with the system or am I better off with the Sony stuff? If so, then what Sony accessories do I need?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

UndergroundHero posted:

Is this going to work with the system or am I better off with the Sony stuff? If so, then what Sony accessories do I need?

As far as I can see, Sony HT-SS370 uses proprietary connectors to receiver unit, but normal copper speaker wires to speakers which means it should work with Rocketfish. Connect wires from the Sony receiver to Rocketfish amplifier as per manual p. 7.

If you have installed the Sony system already and it doesn't use normal copper wire for speaker connections, then it most likely won't work and you need to look for other solutions. If Rocketfish works for you, I'd use it since it's easier to carry onto your next system.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Hey folks, I just got a used Sony audio receiver from Goodwill, and things were working great, right up until I went to push my chair back against the wall after getting everything hooked up and I pulled the power supply out of the wall. Internet went down, poo poo like that, and also the receiver went out and now won't come back on. I don't know electronics well but I've opened it up, what did I do to this thing and can I fix it? Thanks.

It's model STR-AV290 if that helps.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 20, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

big business sloth posted:

It's model STR-AV290 if that helps.

Did it go into protect mode or is it completely dead?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Hob_Gadling posted:

Did it go into protect mode or is it completely dead?

No, there's nothing on the display at all.

edit: Like I said, I've opened it up and looked for accessible fuses, but I'm not sure where to look and if I would recognize it.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Near the spot where power wire goes out of the receiver, there should be a small upright board if the receiver looks like what I think it looks like. The fuse is somewhere in that board. The fuse probably looks something like this. Check if it's blown. It's most likely a 8A/125V fuse you need to be looking out for.

I can't locate a service manual or any reasonable image about that particular model, but hopefully this gives you some idea what to look for.