Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

feedmegin posted:

This is a bit like shutting down your phone and saying 'unless I turn my phone on it's bricked'. Bricking a device means killing it to the extent that it is permanently as useless as a brick to a normal person, which with a phone tends to mean wiping the bootloader somehow.

heat posted:

That or flashing a corrupt radio image. I'm guessing what happens when some doofus screws up the instructions in the youtube video that trained chimps could follow is they post a comment yelling at the guy who made the video for ruining their phone then take it to the phone store where some tech runs a RUU and blammo good as new.

What happened is technically referred to as a usb brick since when it first happened there was no solution and it was a brick. Its still called the same thing, they didn't change the name to "USB something slightly alarming and unexpected that can happen to your phone but its ok because there is a fix" So that is what I called it, because that's what its called so stop having such a go at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Hey man I wasn't commenting on what does or does not constitute a brick, I was just throwing out the only way I know to brick an Android phone.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

heat posted:

Hey man I wasn't commenting on what does or does not constitute a brick, I was just throwing out the only way I know to brick an Android phone.

sorry, I misinterpreted your post. I retract the hard feelings

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

trilljester posted:

Do you have a case on your Inspire?

Yeah, but it wasn't working before I put the case on, either.

I tried some things (##GPS somethingoranother), but I can't find a lot of information other than "works for me!" and stuff referring to a patch that I gather has been merged into RC4. Kind of frustrating. :sigh:

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

serewit posted:

I tried some things (##GPS somethingoranother), but I can't find a lot of information other than "works for me!" and stuff referring to a patch that I gather has been merged into RC4. Kind of frustrating. :sigh:

Don't forget the smartass 'turn on your wifi'.

Yeah well, no poo poo that fixed it. What about when I'm off wifi? My evo isn't working either if it makes you feel any better.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST

Burden posted:

Try this http://theunlockr.com/category/howto/android_how_tos/htc-sprint-hero-how-tos/ and do the z4 root method. It was updated a little over a month ago. I don't have a Hero, but I have rooted the mytouch and the Mytouch 4G with the unlockr and never had any issues.

Awesome, that was easier than I thought. Now that I've got CM7 on here, what are some cool things I can do? I want to overclock the CPU a bit to make this puppy feel more responsive, but not if I kill the battery life. I think that means I have to flash a new kernel, or something, but I don't entirely know what that means or how to do it.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

gaan kak posted:

Awesome, that was easier than I thought. Now that I've got CM7 on here, what are some cool things I can do? I want to overclock the CPU a bit to make this puppy feel more responsive, but not if I kill the battery life. I think that means I have to flash a new kernel, or something, but I don't entirely know what that means or how to do it.

CM7 has a built-in CPU "tuner". Just go to Settings > Cyanogenmod Settings > Performance.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

serewit posted:

Can you confirm GPS was working on stock ROM?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

nate fisher posted:

I am understand correctly that any phone that is labeled Nexus will never be un-rootable?

As someone explained to me the other day, there is a difference between "rooting" and "unlocking the bootloader".

My understanding is basically this (and, please, someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Since you typically do one when you do the other (sorry, Motorola phones), most people (myself previously included) lumped them together.

Gaining root access in the OS is essentially being able to install the SuperUser agent, which lets you do anything you want to the OS (because you now have access to the kernel).

Unlocking the bootloader lets you install custom recoveries/ROMs.

With the Nexus series being a "Developer Phone", it will always have an unlocked bootloader, so you can install custom recoveries and ROMs that allow SuperUser access, but "rooting" the stock OS to gain kernel access is essentially exploiting a security flaw to be able to gain SuperUser access. Even Google would want these security flaws patched.

What I DON'T understand at all is now this works in conjunction with the AOSP. Somewhere, somehow, you have to actually ALLOW for SU access...so how does this part factor in?

nate fisher posted:

Also as a Sprint customer it makes me wonder if there is any counter measures planned for the EVO 3D?

Same here. If the EVO 3D has a locked bootloader, it is going to be a very tough decision for my next phone.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Is a locked bootloader different than "S-On"?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ozmodiar posted:

What I DON'T understand at all is now this works in conjunction with the AOSP. Somewhere, somehow, you have to actually ALLOW for SU access...so how does this part factor in?
In developer firmware images, "/default.prop" contains a property setting "ro.secure=0", which tells adbd that "adb shells" should run with root privileges. There's not a su binary in developer images by default, but since all adb shell are root shells, installing one is trivial.

In release firmware images, "/default.prop" contains "ro.secure=1", which tells adbd that "adb shells" should run as the shell user, which is unprivileged.

When you unlock the bootloader on a Nexus device, or Odin a custom kernel on a Samsung device since they're also unlocked, you can install an initramfs with a modified default.prop containing "ro.secure=0", which provides root "adb shells", where you can install su/SuperUser.

On other devices, rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exploits a vulnerability in adbd that results in "adb shells" running as root, even though they're supposed to be unprivileged. So the effect is the same as how adb works in developer images, at least until you reboot.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 6, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In developer firmware images, "/default.prop" contains a property setting "ro.secure=0", which tells adbd that "adb shells" should run with root privileges. There's not a su binary in developer images by default, but since all adb shell are root shells, installing one is trivial.

In release firmware images, "/default.prop" contains "ro.secure=1", which tells adbd that "adb shells" should run as the shell user, which is unprivileged.

When you unlock the bootloader on a Nexus device, or Odin a custom kernel on a Samsung device since they're also unlocked, you can install an initramfs with a modified default.prop containing "ro.secure=0", which provides root "adb shells", where you can install su/SuperUser.

On other devices, rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exploits a vulnerability in adbd that results in "adb shells" running as root, even though they're supposed to be unprivileged. So the effect is the same as how adb works in developer images, at least until you reboot.

Wow...I got the gist of that, but I obviously know even less than I thought I did about programming/development. Thank you very kindly for the information though.

Lets say that I wanted to learn more about Android/Linux programming/development ... where should I start?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ozmodiar posted:

Lets say that I wanted to learn more about Android/Linux programming/development ... where should I start?

The Android Developer's Guide is the go-to resource for learning about Android development from the perspective of an app writer.

The Android Platform Developer's Guide is the equivalent for learning how to develop AOSP itself, and how to port Android to new hardware.

I'm not sure either is the best tutorial for someone just starting to get their feet wet. The Developer's guide assumes you're familiar with the Java language and have some prior programming experience. The Platform guide assumes some proficiency with more traditional Unix/Linux environments. For those, Wikipedia is probably a reasonable starting point and check out tutorials from there.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay so getting close to rootin'my Desire.

Is the best way Unrevoked and then start off with CM7?

What is the best way to backup my phone before I do all this?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

The builds of CM7 I tried didn't seem to agree with the GPS in my Inspire 4G. You'll probably have better luck.

Edit: I though you were talking about the Desire HD. If you're talking about the regular Desire, ignore this post.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 6, 2011

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Unrevoked is the easiest root for the desire, personally I think AR recovery works well with the desire, you can change which recovery you use by running Unrevoked without the phone plugged in and selecting custom recovery. Clockwork is fine for most people but it's nandroids never worked for me anyway. As for Roms the most stable froyo I found was defrost running
with coutts kernel and im currently running ginger villian with the vork kernel and I'm preferring it to defrost so far but I haven't had it long enough to notice any bugs

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Actually now that I think about it are any settings, messages, apps etc deleted when you install a new rom?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
It is recommended to do a full wipe/factory reset of the device beforehand, so you'll lose everything on the phone. People tend to recommend Titanium Backup for apps and settings, but I've not used it so I don't know if it can do stuff like SMS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

^^^^
They say it can do SMS, but I've never had it work. I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore from the Market.

It works great for everything else.

Red_Fred posted:

Actually now that I think about it are any settings, messages, apps etc deleted when you install a new rom?
Depends. If you're going to a different ROM than one you're currently on (MIUI > CM7, stock to anything, etc.) then yes, everything will be wiped out. If you're going from one version of the same ROM to a newer one, then no.

Depending on your situation, you can back up everything prior to moving but in some cases you can't. If you can root without wiping, then you can install Titanium Backup and your apps/app data/sms/call log/etc can be restored when you get to the new ROM, but settings can't be restored to an unlike ROM, especially if the type is different (i.e. Sense settings can't be restored to an AOSP ROM). If you're moving to a different ROM of the same type you might be able to restore backed up settings, but I'd nandroid first.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

trilljester posted:

Can you confirm GPS was working on stock ROM?

I never tried it on stock... :negative:

The weird thing is, I did have it working on RC3 for a little while, even with wifi off. It was sort of inaccurate, but it worked. That's what leads me to think it's a software issue.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Hey guys! I just picked up a used Samsung Fascinate off of Ebay to replace my rooted Droid (getting to the point of being unusable, getting pretty tired of dicking around with it) and of course since the Fascinate was easily the worst of the four US Galaxy S models because of it's bloatware and Touchwiz crap, I want to root it and install a custom rom right when I get it.

I've done a decent amount of research on the XDA forums but thought I would get some input from the SA crowd (like y'all better anyways).

So, for the rooted Fascinate owners out there:

Are you guys running a custom Rom and if so which one? A lot of the ones I was reading about on XDA seem to have a decent amount of broken stuff. Some of them have big things like MMS not working. Coming from the Droid scene that was a shock.

Are you guys overclocking at all? I don't really see a point in OC right now but what is y'alls experience with overclocking so far? Does the phone take kindly to it?

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
:smug::hf::mmmsmug::hf::smug:
Anyone else running the Bolted custom ROM on their thunderbolt? I just rooted and stuck the custom ROM on my phone last night, and so far, It's running pretty drat smooth.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Codiusprime posted:

So, for the rooted Fascinate owners out there:

Are you guys running a custom Rom and if so which one? A lot of the ones I was reading about on XDA seem to have a decent amount of broken stuff. Some of them have big things like MMS not working. Coming from the Droid scene that was a shock.

Are you guys overclocking at all? I don't really see a point in OC right now but what is y'alls experience with overclocking so far? Does the phone take kindly to it?

Fascinate is so hosed up that there are pretty much no AOSP ROMs and nothing Gingerbread yet except Kaoscinate, which is mainly nothing works. I'm running Superclean 2.9.2 and it's in my opinion a great Froyo ROM with all of the Samsung poo poo removed and a GApps package from the start. It's the best I've found with regard to stability and things functioning. Bear in mind that I've only ever owned a Fascinate, so Froyo is exciting and new to me.

GPS takes centuries to get a fix, but I understand that's a Fascinate problem in general.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 6, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate is so hosed up that there are pretty much no AOSP ROMs and nothing Gingerbread yet except Kaoscinate, which is mainly nothing works. I'm running jt's SuperClean v2.9.2 and it's a great Froyo ROM with all of the Samsung poo poo removed and a GApps package from the start. It's the best I've found with regard to stability and things functioning.

GPS takes centuries to get a fix, but I understand that's a Fascinate problem in general.

Man, this is discouraging :(

I knew the Fascinate had some problems but I figured they could be fixed by throwing a new rom on there. Maybe I'll throw it back up on EBay and pick up the DX, but I hate the fact that it's locked down tight.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

serewit posted:

The weird thing is, I did have it working on RC3 for a little while, even with wifi off. It was sort of inaccurate, but it worked. That's what leads me to think it's a software issue.

Do you have FasterFix installed? If not, grab it from the Market, it really does help my Inspire get a GPS signal/lock faster. Also, there are some GPS tools in the market which show some really useful info on your GPS. I think they're called GPS Status and GPS Test. Both are free.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

serewit posted:

The only ROMs I've been able to get a quick and accurate GPS lock with are the ones based on the stock Inspire ROM.

CoreDroid and CyanogenMod both took ages to lock on, and none of the fixes I've seen around seem to work.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

trilljester posted:

Do you have FasterFix installed? If not, grab it from the Market, it really does help my Inspire get a GPS signal/lock faster. Also, there are some GPS tools in the market which show some really useful info on your GPS. I think they're called GPS Status and GPS Test. Both are free.

Tried this, sat outside for about 5 minutes, it never got a single satellite on GPS Test. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'll wait it out and see if they can get it fixed some day.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

^^^^
They say it can do SMS, but I've never had it work. I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore from the Market.

It works great for everything else.
Depends. If you're going to a different ROM than one you're currently on (MIUI > CM7, stock to anything, etc.) then yes, everything will be wiped out. If you're going from one version of the same ROM to a newer one, then no.

Depending on your situation, you can back up everything prior to moving but in some cases you can't. If you can root without wiping, then you can install Titanium Backup and your apps/app data/sms/call log/etc can be restored when you get to the new ROM, but settings can't be restored to an unlike ROM, especially if the type is different (i.e. Sense settings can't be restored to an AOSP ROM). If you're moving to a different ROM of the same type you might be able to restore backed up settings, but I'd nandroid first.

Thank you fine sir. I'm pretty sure I can root without deleting anything so I can use Titanium backup after rooting. I don't really care about SMS or call logs etc anyway.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

This would probably be useful to add to the OP:

The Always Up-To-Date Guide to Rooting Any Android Phone

It's certainly a lot easier than digging through XDA threads.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can rooting using unrevoked be undone if say I had a warranty issue?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

serewit posted:

Tried this, sat outside for about 5 minutes, it never got a single satellite on GPS Test. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'll wait it out and see if they can get it fixed some day.

Try CM7 nightly #36. I just flashed it, and GPS Status is locking on in <10 seconds.

I also installed FasterFix, or what it's worth.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have a question and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. A while back I read (and I'm 99% sure it wasn't here) about a way you can protect files during a reflash of CM7 by creating a text file, naming it something particular, then placing it somewhere particular (in /system/, I'm sure of that).

I used it so that I could put LauncherPro in /system/app and not have to redo that every time. Well now that LauncherPro has a new version (and thus, new filename) the file isn't working but damned if I can find it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: And as soon as I post this, I found it on my phone. Here's what it is and how to use it for those interested.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 7, 2011

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I am getting terrible battery life on CM7 RC4 on my Evo. I'm going through my battery in 10 hours with very little interaction with my phone. So I'm going to try going back to a Sense ROM to see if that helps. Any suggestions on one? I was running Fresh before hand but I was wondering if something better was out.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Can rooting using unrevoked be undone if say I had a warranty issue?

Provided that you can put a sense rom on it and connect it to your pc then unrooting it is easy. I've heard that if it's an obvious hardware fault some manufacturers don't care what software is on the phone when it's returned anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gariig posted:

I am getting terrible battery life on CM7 RC4 on my Evo. I'm going through my battery in 10 hours with very little interaction with my phone. So I'm going to try going back to a Sense ROM to see if that helps. Any suggestions on one? I was running Fresh before hand but I was wondering if something better was out.
What does your battery stats say is using the most power? Can you post your battery chart? That'd go a long way toward diagnosing the problem.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

gariig posted:

I am using CM7 RC4 on my EVO also. I have been up for about a hour and 45 minutes right now. I used my phone to check Facebook, email, and Twitter this morning before getting into the shower. Didn't use again until I used my phone to stream Howard Stern in the car. At the most that was for 45 minutes. I took a 5 minute call during that time also. Now my batter is at 67% and I don't use 4G. Is it me or does that seem pretty bad?

Also another complaint (and the one that might get me going back to a Sense ROM) is I drop 3G a whole lot more on CM7. I work at a national lab in the boonies, but I could always get 3G with 1 bar. Now with CM7 it keeps going back and forth from 3g to that 1x thing anytime I am on the edge of 3G coverage. Drives me crazy. Shame because I love everything else CM7. Should I go to an earlier version of CM?

About going back to a Sense ROM have you tried any of Myn's ROMs? I was a big fan of Warm 2.2 RC 5 and Warm Z. Warm Z runs Sense 2.0, but it doesn't have 4G and still has a couple of bugs. Warm 2.2 runs a lot better. Also I saw yesterday on XDA someone has a Gingerbread ROM with Sense.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
The weak signal isn't the fault of CM7. Funny thing about Sense ROMs is that they don't display 1X connection, ever; it just lies to you and always says 3G.

My battery life is also worse on CM7 but a big part of that is because Juice Defender can't turn off the data connection in Gingerbread (they're working on it). I'm going to mess with some different kernels and finally set up SetCPU and see what that does.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

heat posted:

The weak signal isn't the fault of CM7. Funny thing about Sense ROMs is that they don't display 1X connection, ever; it just lies to you and always says 3G.

My battery life is also worse on CM7 but a big part of that is because Juice Defender can't turn off the data connection in Gingerbread (they're working on it). I'm going to mess with some different kernels and finally set up SetCPU and see what that does.

You know I couldn't remember the last time I saw the 1X connection come up, and now I know why. Thanks. I can live with the battery life (I work in a office so I can charge all day), but I just wished it was better.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Is there an easy way to select multiple contacts for sending out a message - currently running CM7. At the moment I have to select each person individually by typing and searching their name, unlike ticking off a contacts list like I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Nuclear Spy posted:

Is there an easy way to select multiple contacts for sending out a message - currently running CM7. At the moment I have to select each person individually by typing and searching their name, unlike ticking off a contacts list like I'm used to.

CM (AOSP?) doesn't have the tickboxes? Well that's kind of lame. I use those quite often on my SGS.